Pedrito: Withdrawal of Venlafaxine after 15 years: seeking for advices

Hi everyone, first of all, I want to thank every contributor to this website which is a huge source of advices and hope. I started to read some interesting threads, and I regret so much to discover them only after my (awful) withdrawal.

Here is my short story: terrible panic attacks started in 2008 when I was a young adult. At that time, social medias were not developed like now, psychiatric matters were still very taboo. Information was not spread like today. I guess this is why I spent several months alone in the darkness, without understanding what was happening to me. I finally found a psychiatrist who started an analytic psychotherapy with me. This man was calamitous. His 'therapy' ruined me during several months, reinforcing my anxiety at so high levels.

Then, I found another psychiatrist who saved my life: he started a CBT which lowered my anxiety by at least 50% in a few weeks. But he also decided to prescribe me Effexor (Venlafaxine) as a 'medicinal crutch'. Well, it worked and offered me a pretty good quality of life during 15 years. 

I recently stopped Venlafaxine because I had to pass a medical exam for work. I knew they would seek for illicit substances in blood and urine samples (cannabis, cocaine, etc...). I was not sure about antidepressants (not really forbidden but it could have unnecessarily complicated my case) but I preferred to withdraw the medication. It was also time to try to stop after 15 years (I never understood why antidepressants are prescribed all life long). My psychiatrist supported me and told me to stop abruptly (my daily dose was 75 mg + 37.5 mg). 

I knew I am sensitive to discontinuation (brain zaps in my past when I forgot my medication for a day or a week-end outside). So I decided to taper myself during 1 month and a half. Of course I was not aware about survivingantidepressants.org so my plan was way too much optimistic ! From 75+37.5 to 50 mg no problem. Slight physical symptoms + weird dreams + a few anxious peaks. But below 25 mg, the hell began. The intense physical symptoms lasted 2 weeks. Severe brain zaps, nausea, diarrhea, dizziness. My psychiatrist told me I was his FIRST patient with so long and accute withdrawal syndrom ! I couldn't believe my eyes. I trusted this guy at 100% before. I was furious against him. But I read on internet that yes, it is unbelievable, but this frequent severe withdrawal syndrom was never studied by the pharmaceutical labs, psychiatrists seem to ignore it, etc... 

Well, after the physical symptoms ceased (2 weeks after 0 mg), I started to feel bad emotionally: drop in mood, no envy for anything, growth of anxiety, very bad sleep and weird feeling in the legs every evening, like slow waves of electricity, very disturbing for sleeping. I understand that return of anxiety is logical. But this drop in mood, this feeling of empty head and those weird feelings in the leg with very bad sleeps are very new. I've stopped Venlafaxine 1 month and a half now and it's getting worse.

So I am wondering, is this a 'relapse' as they call it ? Or still the effect of the too much suddain withdrawal ? Should I reinstate this damn drug or should I try to survive without it now it's done ? Of course I was certain that without this 'medicinal crutch' I could meet anxious moments like I had 15 years ago. But while I was taking Venlafaxine several years ago, I already had 2 major anxious periodes. So, feeling so bad immediately after the withdrawal, plus the unusual symptoms, is it only a coincidence ? It was so hard to stop this drug that I want to try continuing without it now. Eventually with the help of benzos time to time (I never tried it) rather than reinstating such devastating antidepressants.  

I know that every case is unique but I would appreciate to know your opinion about my description :)

Effexor (venlafaxin) 75 mg +37.5 mg per day during 15 years for panic disorder (good quality of life with the medication + CBT).

Almost cold turkey in January 2024. Awful acute withdrawal with physical symptoms (lasted 2 weeks).

0 mg since 01/23/2024

Then drop of mood + growth of anxiety + bad sleep (still undergoing...).

• KenA changed the title to Pedrito: Withdrawal of Venlafaxine after 15 years: seeking for advices

Hi @Pedrito

Welcome to SA,

As you already now know, this is a very fast taper. We suggest tapering by no more than 10% of your most recent dose each month. See  Why taper by 10%.

Thank you for creating a signature.

These two links will help you to understand withdrawal syndrome:

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

When we take medication, the CNS responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS must then undo all the changes that were made. As the changes are undone, symptoms may occur. You can expect that they will follow 

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization.

On 3/8/2024 at 5:47 AM, Pedrito said:

Well, after the physical symptoms ceased (2 weeks after 0 mg), I started to feel bad emotionally: drop in mood, no envy for anything, growth of anxiety, very bad sleep and weird feeling in the legs every evening, like slow waves of electricity, very disturbing for sleeping. I understand that return of anxiety is logical. But this drop in mood, this feeling of empty head and those weird feelings in the leg with very bad sleeps are very new. I've stopped Venlafaxine 1 month and a half now and it's getting worse.

It does sound like what you're experiencing could still be WD symptoms. They can wax and wane and morph into new symptoms over time in a windows and waves fashion. See link above.

This thread has some good links:

Reinstatement of a very small dose of the original drug can sometimes help to alleviate withdrawal syndrome. The only other alternative is to wait out the symptoms and manage the best you can while your CNS returns to homeostasis. Unfortunately, no one can give you an exact timeline as to when you'll start to feel better, or if you even will. While some will notice immediate improvement, for others it can take many months or longer.

Reinstatement isn't a guarantee for everyone, but it's the best tactic available, aside from waiting it out. Since you are within the 3 month timeframe where reinstatement reliably works, it might work and it might not. If you decide that reinstatement is an option for you, we would recommend a much smaller reinstatement dose than your last dose. These drugs are strong and your system has become sensitized and if you take too high a dosage, it may be too much for your brain.

Here is the info for tapering your drug:

I've given you a lot of info, so please have a read through. You can post any updates or questions related to your specific situation right here in your thread.

And again, welcome :).

2003-2009 on and off various SSRI's for short periods, Ativan prn

2010-2011 Ativan, up to 1.5mg/day - tapered off without issue

2013-2021 ativan 1-1.5mg 10-12x/month, daily starting Oct 21 to help with buspar WD

2016 - Effexor 75mg, short-term

2021 Mar -Jun Buspar ADR at high dose, tapered 3 months

2021 Aug Wellbutrin 150mg for 5 days (ADR), then MIrtazapine 7.5mg for 7 days (ADR)

Oct 22/21 - Direct switch ativan to clonazepam (don't do this)

Tapered clonaz Oct/21 - Apr/23  - 0mg!

Supplements: omega-3, mag-glycinate

"Believe that your tragedies, your losses, your sorrows, your hurt, happened for you, not to you. And I bless the thing that broke you down and cracked you open, because the world needs you open" - Rebecca Campbell

*** Disclaimer: Please note, my suggestions/comments are based on my own personal experiences. Please consult a knowledgeable practitioner to discuss decisions regarding your medical care *** 

*** Please do not send me PM's ***

Many thanks @LotusRising !

I appreciate the time you took to read my story. I read some threads with interesting information (even if they sometimes lead to other questions ...).

I met my psychiatrist today. He obviously suggested to reinstate the medication. I told him I am verry scared now about Venlafaxine. He said that the goal is not to attempt a new withdrawal within 6 months or one year, but that I am right. So he suggests to wait a few more weeks, then if no improvement at all, start Prozac at low dose (AD from a different class). He also told me to do sport frequently and change my mind by going outside everyday. 

That's what I have already started to do. And I will wait those 4 or 6 weeks and see.

Many thanks again for supporting me. We are an army of invisible little fighters...

Effexor (venlafaxin) 75 mg +37.5 mg per day during 15 years for panic disorder (good quality of life with the medication + CBT).

Almost cold turkey in January 2024. Awful acute withdrawal with physical symptoms (lasted 2 weeks).

0 mg since 01/23/2024

Then drop of mood + growth of anxiety + bad sleep (still undergoing...).