Abir - 2 months after antidepressants withdrawal

abir

hello Lexi,

today is the same as yesterday - extremely exhausted, don't have enough energy to open my mouth and talk.. so again today i am spending my day lying on the sofa.. but i don't have any anxiety.. i don't think the breathing problems i have been having for the last 2 or 3 days are anxiety related because i don't have any other anxiety symptoms.. it just feels like my body is too tired to even breathe properly.. still feeling lightheaded, dizzy , and i feel like i am always out of breath.. my mood is low but i am too tired to cry..

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• abir

• lexicon

• Altostrata

• basildev

Top Posters In This Topic

Abir, I hope symptoms have cleared up these past couple of days, and you got some relief ..

The breathing problems I have lately a lot, more than before ..everything stinks to me these

days, and my sinus closes up and cannot breathe ..

I am thinking of you, and praying that you have some relief ..

Sending you love and hugs ..xx

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

thinking of you abir, are you still on the 5mg?

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

Hi Lexi,

my anxiety started to get worse yesterday and today it is bad... everything seems to make it worse... if i think about anything or even if go up on the stairs, it feels worse... so basically i am just sitting on the sofa waiting for it to get better... i know this may not be the best way to do it, but it is overwhelming... i really hate this anxious feeling... it makes me just want to freeze and not do anything at all...

I hope your day is not too bad..

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:

Hi Iggy,

yes .. i don't think i will make any adjustment in my dose for a while... i am still struggling with my symptoms...

i hope you are doing ok..

reinstating AD:

Hi Abir,

Thinking of you, and wishing very much that you are getting a break.

Say it is so.

I hope most of the distressful symptoms abated, and you are getting some relief.

Sending you thoughts of healing and support alwwys.

Many hugs, Lexi

Hello,

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

How are you feeling Abir?

Have your symptoms gotten better since the B12?

I sure hope so ..

Thinking of you, and sending you love and many hugs ..

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

I am also interested in the b12 - esecially as its sighted as a help for myelin regeneration, although many say its too stimulating. do let us know how you are doing abir.

thinking of you

I have been taking b12 shots for years (I don't absorb b12 so I take a shot every month or two)... But I do believe that it made my symptoms worse.. My sleep got even worse, started having the breathing issues again and the anxiety was worse.. I won't take it again anytime in the near future.. I will try the sublingual b12 supplement...

Iggy, maybe check your b12 level first, and if it is low, try taking it orally first.... A shot increases b12 levels dramatically and quickly ..

reinstating AD:

Thinking of you Abir,

how are you feeling?

Sending you hugs and love ..Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hey... I am feeling better:).. The last couple of days were good actually... The breathing issues are gone and the anxiety is so mild that I can distract myself from it..my brain is still very foggy, still exhausted but so glad that I am having a break from the anxiety and the despair...

wow, so it seems that Ativan is causing you more problems than withdrawal from AD..I hope that all these Ativan issues will get sorted out soon...so you can finally start feeling better

reinstating AD:

Wonderful .. :) great news Abir .. :) About time ..I am sorry you had to endure all that ..Yes, Ativan problems :( I am suffering all sorts of issues ..I posted in members only benzo discussions "or something like that ..

I pray someone can help sort it all out ..

Keep doing better Abir, that is totally awesome .. :)

Sending you loving thoughts.

xx Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Yes I hope so too... I will keep following your posts there ...

reinstating AD:

hi there I was just reading through this post and wanted to respond.. Hello abir, lexicon and flower, sending you my regards.. I would like to say that I have read all your posts about medication withdrawal etc, and how you all have been feeling unwell since.... Two years ago I withdrew from Effexor 150mg  xr capsule, I was switched to the tablet form of Effexor and reduced down by cutting tablets with a pill cutter till I had stopped them completely. Roughly six weeks later I felt so ill I had to go back to my doctor.  The withdrawal symptoms were horrendous, my sleep was terrible, I would wake every hour, had vivid dreams and nightmares, night sweats, funny breathing like I needed to take big breaths, body twitches and also what you mentioned about jerking awake..  When I tried to fall asleep sometimes my body would just jump awake or I would wake up like I couldn't breathe or finally sometimes it was  like a loud noise in my ear and I would jump awake really scared.  I honestly thought I had a brain tumour or something serious I was so frightened.. other symptoms were sweating, frequent urination, exhaustion, weak body, no energy and feeling like I could sleep the whole day long I was so tired, feel spaced out, and absolutely no motivation for anything... I feared my depression was back, I didn't have a lot of knowledge like I do now about withdrawal happening long after stopping antidepressants..  so I took my doctors advice which I regret now, and went back on the Effexor 150mg..  after doing my own research, I realise now that I really should have been put back on a low dose till I felt better, then gradually decreased them again..

anyways I decided in February this year I want of these tablets once and for all, I know I don't longer need them. I just take them because I have too or else face the withdrawals.. so I started to take 1 bead out of  the capsule each day, when I started to feel withdrawals symptoms I stopped taking them out for a few days until I felt ok, then I would begin taking one out each day again.. Presently I have taken out 110 beads of 514 that our in the capsule.  This is the only way that seems to be working for me... I still get withdrawal symptoms like the sleeping problems, jumping awake now and again, exhaustion and tiredness etc....... I went to my doctor for a physical check up too and my iron level was very low at 7 were it should be over 14, also my thyroid is slightly over what it should be so have to keep a check on that with more check ups.. apparently which I wasn't aware off some antidepressants can in long term give you problems with your thyroid, that's what I read anyway... so I am now taken iron tablets.. and will continue to take a eye on this as stress through withdrawal can be tough on your body..

My routine through my withdrawal has been ( this is just my choices and opinions) I take a daily fish oil of omega 3,6,9 with vitamin d3 and e, b vitamin complex and vitamin c for my iron absorption..  personally I have stopped alcohol completely as it seems to affect me the next day making my symptoms worse. I go out walking each day for 30 minutes for the light exposure and exercise, which puts me In better form.  I eat healthy, and added lots of foods which are good for the brain like turkey, bananas etc  I keep a journal which I write in every night before sleeping of what I did that day, how I feel, even when im angry etc I write all my thoughts before going to sleep.. I also list what foods I eat etc, supplements, then I have an idea of what has worked that day and what didn't...I have set up a sleep routine, one thing I researched was Epsom salts in your bath has magnesium which relaxes muscles and aids sleep.  so every night I take a bath with these in it, I write in my journal, light a candle, and read a book while drinking my herbal tea, I take a magnesium supplement also.. I also have a lumi light which I set, the sunset setting whereby a bright light stays on while I read and gradually it dimmers down which is meant to signal too the body it sleep time and targets the melatonin in the brain.. In the morning the light comes on again half an hour before wakening so gradually cortisol is released in the brain through the light and you wake up better.. it works for me... I know this all seems a lot but at present I don't have children so I can sacrifice the time for myself now to get off this medication by being kind to  myself...  fingers crossed presently my worst symptom is really the tiredness and exhaustion, lack of motivation sometimes low mood, im hoping once I get off Effexor this will slowly but surely begin to improve..... im 31 and I want to start having children, but while this is happening it feels impossible to even think about, plus Ive been  very scared of being pregnant whilst taking Effexor so that has put me off, ive been on Effexor for five years.. Reading other posts makes me feel im not alone, and that these withdrawal symptoms are normal and alike for everyone... the withdrawal really effects everything around you, in work im so tired all the time, it effects my relationships, my family, my friends but no one will truly understand the heartache and pain involved in withdrawal unless they go through it themselves... im sending you all my blessings, and hope you all much success in your recovery.. Be kind to yourselves x

2010-withdrew from Effexor 150mg to zero over a period of 9 months

After six weeks became very ill

Doctor was adamant a reinstatement of 150mg was needed

I didn't know much of withdrawal symptoms at this time

February 2013- taking beads out of capsule 150mg

have taken out 112 beads equivalent to 30mg= 120mg taken

June 2013- Doctor visit- recommended given me 75mg capsules

take one in morning and one at night( take beads out of night one)

So am currently taking 75mg in morning and take beads out of 75mg night capsule to make up the other 45mg= 120mg

currently am down to taking 112.5mg..

presently reduced down to 103mg

at 93mg

at 87mg

Hi Kaza and welcome :)

your story has a lot of similarities with mine: you withdrawal symptoms started 6 weeks after stopping (that is about what happen with me too), I was feeling good for the first month... i also have very low iron (6) but i had that for years.. and also, 3 months after stopping ADs, my thyroid got messed-up; both my TSH and T4 were high!! now it is back to normal...

"I know this all seems a lot but at present I don't have children so I can sacrifice the time for myself now to get off this medication by being kind to  myself" :  oh no, that does not seem a lot - anything that can help you through this rough journey is worth doing... i am so glad that the way you are tapering now and all the stuff you are doing to support are working for you... i hope that the rest of your tapering will be as smooth..... continue the good work :)

if you like, you can start your own thread, so you could use it as your own journal to keep track of your symptoms and also to ask questions whenever you need help... there are lots of kind and knowledgeable people here ...

welcome again and thank you for sharing your story... keep us updated on your journey... i wish you all the best and i hope to continue hearing good news about your progress :)

reinstating AD:

hi abir,

aww  thank you so much for your  kind and encouraging reply :) .. its horrible that we both have had to go through this awful withdrawal, however its comforting to know the symptoms Ive felt seem to be the norm with a lot of people..  yeah that is a good idea to keep a thread of my symptoms and journey you never know it may help comfort someone else who is going through this difficult time...  could you please tell me how I could go about doing a thread im not quite familiar with this site yet and how it all works..

many thanks

So am currently taking 75mg in morning and take beads out of 75mg night capsule to make up the other 45mg= 120mg

at 93mg

at 87mg

Kaza, go to "forums", then to "introductions and updates", then click on the "start new topic" button, in the top right of the page...

again, looking forward to read about your progress and more success in your journey :)

reinstating AD:

thank you abir for your help, best of luck

at 93mg

at 87mg

2 months after reinstatement (not a smooth one, started with a high dose, then went down, then up), and 7.5 months after stopping ADs, i am seeing progress... this past week, most of my symptoms disappeared and the rest is mild..

the symptoms that seems to have disappeared:

- tinnitus

- body jerks or stops breathing, loud explosive noise in head, and nightmares as i am falling asleep

- nausea

- lightheadedness

- bad hot flashes in chest, neck, arms and legs

- feeling freezing cold at a room temperature that is normally comfortable

- tingling in arms and legs and feeling like my legs won't hold if i stood up

- despair and crying uncontrollably and for no reason

- *don't know what this one is called* not being reactive to the world for example, when i saw my niece (which i love and adore), i could not smile to her or have any feeling towards her...etc...

the symptoms that are still here but improved quite a lot:

- trouble sleeping: almost normal (my normal sleep is not the greatest anyways

- anxiety: i only feel a little tightness and tiny lightheadedness first thing in the morning...and throughout the day, i get very mild "achy heart" feeling and a little warm in chest, stomach and back... very very mild...

- physical and mental exhaustion: i had those for years, they are worse now, but this is expected i guess after all the stress that my body and brain went through..

I will stay at 5mg for now until I am sure that i stabilized... this might be just a longer than usual window...

reinstating AD:

Abir, this is absolutely wonderful ..A true blessing .. :)

And it will continue this way you will see ..: :)

I know how you suffered, and what you went through ..You are a fantastic, and courageous trooper .. :)

Thank you for the help on the Ativan thread ..I think it is a wonderful idea .. :)

How very sweet of you to contribute .. :)

Meanwhile, enjoy your healing, and please think of it as permanent .. :)

I am delighted, and so very happy .. :)

God bless you always, and keep you from harm ..xx Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

thank you Lexi.. this certainly gave me back hope...

fantastic, and courageous trooper: no, you are lexi... you have been so brave throughout all your struggle and you never give up on looking for ways to get you better... and i know, you WILL get better too... you will Lexi...

my modest contribution to your Ativan thread: yes,  that is all i could do, i dont know much about that stuff....... but i am so glad that you are getting so much help there... those people are amazing!!

again, i believe you will start feeling better soon.. dont know why but i honestly beleive it..

reinstating AD:

wonderful news, im so happy for you and it gives me hope. xx

Yes Iggy, only a week ago I felt that I was not going to stabilize! So don't ever loose hope... You will get better too..

I still need to get off the 5 mg I am currently on, so my withdrawal journey is not over...but for now I am going to wait a bit to make sure that I stabilized..

reinstating AD:

Thinking of you Abir .. :)

Missed your presence today ..I hope you are enjoying the beautiful open window .. :)

Good night ..sweet dreams .. :)

xx Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Hi Lexi,

yes, I am still feeling good :)

i am following your progress on your Ativan thread - and i know you will start feeling better soon :)

reinstating AD:

You are so very sweet and kind Abir .. :)

Thank you for your support, and encouragement ..They mean so much ..!!

I hope you had a blessed day ..

Thinking of you, with love .. :)

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

Abir, thinking of you ..I have missed your presence..

I hope you continue to do well, and able to do your appointments ..

My Ativan troubles continue .. :(

Be in touch when you can ..

Sending you loving thoughts ..

Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

• 2 weeks later...

i had about 3 weeks with no major WD symptoms (only very very mild anxiety that last for few seconds at a time)... i am still very sensitive to food (so it has been a month wih no sugar, chocolate, gluten, caffeine (not even decaf coffee)dairy or processed food).. and my mental and physical exhaustion is very bad .. but again, i am expecting that (even before stopping ADs, it used to take me days to recover from on outing with friends so this is expected)...

however, it seems that i am having a wave now...my tinnitus came back maybe 4 days ago , then since yesterday, i wake up early and can't go back to sleep (left arm jumps and wakes me up as i am falling asleep) .. and today i have been having anxiety all day, although mild, and did some crying in the evening...

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear that you're struggling Abir.  Things will get better soon I'm sure.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

Abir, you wrote the above 3 days ago ..I hope that

symptoms have improved, and that you found some relief ..

I am saddened that you had a wave .. :( I just pray that it was a very short one ..

You went through so much Abir ..It is time now for peace ..I think it is just around the corner ..

Thinking of you, and praying for wellness ..

xx Lexi

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

hi lexi...

today was moderately bad... anxiety and depression and crying... started at 5:30 am as usual for this week... but i am feeling better since 5pm... i hope today is the last day in this wave - i am so discouraged about tapering anymore... i think i am going to stay on 5mg for at least few months...

how are you doing lexi? are your symptoms improving still? i hope so..

reinstating AD:

Please try not to get discouraged Abir ..I know it is a tough go, but you have got to hang in there ..The end will come with healing ..It always does ..You are strong and resilient ..Remember the "just keep walking "

I am having problems with symptoms showing up after dosing again ..

The idea is to become stable, go on liquid Ativan, let the body get stable on that, and then taper..

I am discouraged ..I think I am getting adverse reactions but I cannot just taper ..

May we overcome these evils Abir ..I am tired of feeling that my body cannot breathe .. :(

Stand strong ..Thinking of you ..xx

Hello,

I take no other meds.

at a detox clinic.

thank you lexi.. i am feeling better today..

Lexi, if your symptoms show up right after dosing, then i don't know if you can get any more stable on the current dose.. again, i don't know anything at all about benzo so maybe check with the people who know about this stuff, make sure they know that your symptoms start right after dosing and check with them if you can switch to the liquid ativan already.. so you could start tapering soon... maybe you will feel better at a lower dose...

reinstating AD:

an update:

in the last 10 days or more, some of my WD symptoms came back and some got a little worse.... but overall I am feeling much better than I did in March, april and May..

these symptoms came back:

- tinnitus

- body jerks as i am falling asleep but not too bad, maybe 3 or 4 per night

- feeling of despair, crying, worrying about the future...

- irritability

- lack of motivation

these got worse (but still better than they were soon after reinstatement):

- anxiety for most of the day every day, but sometimes it is only mild..

- sleep issues: it takes me about 1.5 hours to fall asleep, and I still wake up every hour.. but i don't need to take any sleep meds..

- physical and mental exhaustion..still find it impossible to concentrate, read, follow instructions, etc... every task is overwhelming no matter how simple it is.... my memory is still bad.. I still can't remember  even my own withdrawal story.. i don't know when or how i found out about AD withdrawal, when i learned that what i was having is WD, why i did not reinstate, did i want to tough it out? i always keep a diary because... well because i can't rely on my brain to record what is happening in my life, but obviously i did not do a good job at it... and it kills me that i don't remember much about my withdrawal journey (except the horrible feelings that i experienced) because my WD was and is the most important thing in my life this past year!!

anyways.... of course my CFS symptoms are worse now too - -  but hopefully these will get better soon too...i mean, the main reason why i decided to stop taking ADs is because i suspected that they were making my CFS symptoms worse.........

I am still happy and grateful that my WD symptoms got better... and that i found this site... i am grateful to everyone here for helping, supporting and sharing info.. i wish you all the best and success in your tapering and post withdrawal journeys

reinstating AD:

• Moderator Emeritus

That's great news Abir!

As Alto once said recovery comes in 'lurches'.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

thank you basil.. you are right.. i hope you are doing well..

reinstating AD: