Omega 3-6-9 Fatty Acids vs Fish Oil

vaseadude

I am having electrical spasms throughout my body and also in my brain. Not sure if they're also called brain zaps? But I heard that supplementing with Omega 3 might help.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that adding omega 3 in withdrawal is safe.

So, I have two options - buy fish oil or ground flax seeds. Which one would you recommend?

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Administrator

Fish oil. Our bodies more readily convert omega-3 from animal sources.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Fish oil. Our bodies more readily convert omega-3 from animal sources.

Hmmm, good to know. I ditched flax seed as too much of a hassle, and went with an omega-3 supplement and salmon.

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

Is it true that taking Fish Oil depletes the body of vitamin E, so taking additional vit E supplements is needed? If so, is there no interaction or is it safe to take vit E in withdrawal?

2008 - started taking Risperidone.

In 2014 tried to taper it, taperred it to 1mg during several months then abruptly stopped, ended up in the hospital. 

2014-2015  -  been off meds 3 times, all 3 times ended in the hospital and was put back on them.

13 Jun 2016 - went  from 2 mg Risperidone to 1.5mg

• Administrator

No, it's advisable to take 400IU vitamin E with fish oil because it helps the fish oil to act longer ( http://jap.physiology.org/content/83/1/189.full ).

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Flax seeds also, for me, were too stimulating early in w/d.

Fish oil, if tolerable, is a supp I'd recommend. It's seemed to have helped me in a couple ways.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

• 6 months later...

What is the difference.

Hugs

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Administrator

Nikki, I moved your question here.

The omega-3 fatty acids in flaxseed are in the form of alpha-linolenic acid (often abbreviated "ALA"). This type of omega-3 fatty acid needs more processing by our bodies to get changed into DHA.

You have to consume a lot of flaxseed or flaxseed oil to get the same benefit as fish oil.

Chia seeds rather than flaxseed are actually the best source of ALA.

Fish oil, according to everyone I've read. For non-medicinal purposes I've also read arguments that eating fish (particularly sardines and west-coast salmon) is better than the capsules.

There have been a large number of studies, some using supplements, some fish, some “advice” which is usually to eat fish.

Evaluating these studies is complex, because omega-3s that have not gone rancid are health-improving for almost everyone on modern diets. Supplements provide a mix of non-rancid and rancid fish oil, so a mix of benefits and toxicity. Depending on how fresh they are, they could produce benefits or harm.

The nice thing about the Burr et al study is that it compared fish to fish oil supplements head-to-head in a realistic setting.

I think it confirms what we should expect from basic chemistry and biology. Chemically fragile oils in capsules are likely to go rancid after months on a shelf, and are not likely to be as healthy as the oils in a freshly-killed fish.

http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2010/06/fish-not-fish-oil-capsules/

I think the takeaway is :

omega-3s that have not gone rancid are health-improving for almost everyone on modern diets.

I eat fish. I also take fish oil capsules but not religiously since I eat so much fish.

"Well my ship's been split to splinters and it's sinking fast
I'm drowning in the poison, got no future, got no past
But my heart is not weary, it's light and it's free
I've got nothing but affection for all those who sailed with me.

Everybody's moving, if they ain't already there
Everybody's got to move somewhere
Stick with me baby, stick with me anyhow
Things should start to get interesting right about now."

- Zimmerman

Thanks Alto and Alex...

Do you refrigerate your Fish Oil?

Do you use Pharmaceutical Grade/Mercury free?

Flaxseed Oil was recommended for me years ago for breast cysts and it works in reducing them and the tenderness they may cause.

Soooooo...I can swap out Flax for Fish Oil???

Hugs

PS Alto at what time of the day do you take Magnesium?????

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• Administrator

I do refrigerate fish oil, and any other oil-based supplements.

It's important to get "micronized" or purified fish oil to remove contaminants.

I don't know if fish oil will help breast cysts.

I take magnesium at night before going to bed, and when I wake up in the middle of the night, with more fish oil.

• 5 months later...

Just wondering...

Which is better to take...

A Combination of Omega 3-6-9 Fatty Acids OR Fish Oil?

I remember reading somewhere, from what I understand, that when you take the Omega Fatty Acids they should be in a certain ratio to one another.  Also, you shouldn't just take one, but all three.

I know Fish Oil is good to take, if you can tolerate it.

I'd like to know your thoughts about what I said, concerning how you should take the Omega Fatty Acids, as well as whether you think it's better to take them or Fish Oil.

Is there a benefit to taking one vs. the other or are they basically the same?

I know Fish Oil can be stimulating to some and have ingested the Omega Fatty Acids, without having any issues, but haven't tried taking any Fish Oil yet.

I just wanted to get your input, before I decide what to do.  Of course, I'll take a very low starting dose, no matter what I decide, just to be on the safe side.

I sincerely appreciate any help you can provide.

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

• Administrator

You already get an immense amount of omega-6 fatty acids from the vegetable oils that are present in many foods and in cooking.You do not need to supplement omega-6 and omega-9 fatty acids. Omega-3 (fish oil) needs supplementation. See http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA401214/Need-Omega-9-Fatty-Acid.html

Edited by Altostrata
corrected omegas

Alto, sorry, did you get omega 3 and 6 mixed up? I thought omega 3 was the one we needed to suppliment? or am I doing it wrong?

damaged by citalopram - severe suffering for 3 years now...no improvement

akathsiia, pgad, dp/dr, terror, and so SO many more daily

severly disabled and lost everything

yes...she got it mixed up...fish oil is Omega 3 :)

we actually get far too much Omega 6 in particular and it's best to cut down on high sources of Omega 6

Everything Matters: Beyond Meds 

https://beyondmeds.com/

withdrawn from a cocktail of 6 psychiatric drugs that included every class of psych drug.

• Administrator

Corrected the omegas, thanks!

Many thanks to all of you for the info and clarification!

I read quite a bit of the info in the pinned post about fish oil.  I was already confused and it just confused me even more.

Thanks again!

Jun-Jul '09 (approx 7 wks) - 5mg/day Lexapro (drug rep samples) given by family dr for long, unended, very stressful divorce

Each dose taken makes sicker, think it's just body adjusting, have no clue it's severe adverse reaction at time

Aug '09 - pharmacy gets dr rx for, insurance won't pay, I can't afford, dr changes to Celexa, decline to take, cold turkey, necessary blessing in disguise, in hindsight at least

Gradually feel some better over 1-2 wks, 3rd wk horrific withdrawal symptoms start & build, see doctor & start researching internet about what's happening, figure it out, 60-70+ severe, frightening, & debilitating symptoms emerge, realize nothing can do to feel better easily or quickly, feel like & think I'm dying, reach point where doctor gets home healthcare & have to call friend to stay with & take care of, friend abandons about 1 yr & lose home healthcare

1st yr symptoms extremely severe, 2nd yr just somewhat better, now into 3rd yr symptoms don't seem much better, still causing horrible suffering, wax & wane in severity, sometimes almost as severe as when started, practically homebound, mostly bedbound, very hard completing simple tasks, symptoms definitely much worse 7-10 days/mo around menstrual cycle

Have lost vehicle & home, plus loved cat & dog had for long time, was homeless several months last winter, lived out of car, living in undesirable gov't subsidized housing now causing many troubles, have no medical & very little rx insurance, disability check & food stamps aren't enough to provide basic needs, lack any reliable personal support anymore, very isolated & all alone, have many pressing stressful things must be done, can barely or unable to complete without help don't have, even ones to help situation some, don't even have finances to get urgent necessary needed help required to help situation & self, social services is frequently visiting now, fear being polydrugged, losing everything, put into nursing home, hope & pray someone will help to keep from happening, don't know what else to do, still way to sick to return to work & college, believe I will recover, in the meantime tho have no answers except to plead for help, hope & pray someone, anyone, who truly cares does soon

In 32nd mo now still very bad SSRI protracted withdrawal, have only seen few signs of healing since 2nd yr passed, somehow manage to keep fighting, afraid time is running out for best tho & situation only going to get worse trying to survive on own if don't get help from someone

This pretty much summarizes what 49 little round white pills (if I recall correctly) have done to my life & future for now, my before & after life are drastically opposite now, both my situation & self, if only I'd known their potential, a little bit too late now tho huh?.?.?...hindsight really is 20/20 isn't it?.?.?...

I pray God blesses and helps each and every one of us, here and elsewhere, going through this nightmare. Amen, amen, amen.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know the difference between Flaxseed Oil and the other oils out there in relation to breast health?

Years ago from a Mammogram and U/S I discovered I have two cysts in left breast, Radiologist said to take Flaxseed Oil.

When I take it regularly the cysts shrink and/or are not visible.

Last year they found another one in Right breast.  My friend asked me if I was taking Flaxseed and I realized I had not been taking it at all.

What would be the best oils for cysts and how much to take.  The flaxseed is 1000mgs.

Thanks

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

• 3 years later...

I don't know if this is the right place for this subject; please move if not.

I've taken fish oil in the past and not had any--or any noticeable--effect/affect on health/mood. I stopped taking fish oil about two years ago after taking it for about two years.

But I've recently begun taking hemp seed oil and I've noticed an interesting difference--a positive one. Since taking hemp seed oil (one tablespoon of the refrigerated oil) I seem to have more emotional stability. There seems to be a "ceiling" to my anxiety/panic. I can more easily talk myself down from--or away from--w/d feelings. I can rationalize how I feel with more...acuity(?). I can find my "center." ( I should say that I've recently stabilized my taper, so my w/d symptoms have lessened; they were bad two months or so ago when I foolishly dropped 16% in one month). 

Hemp seed oil has everything fish oil does except the PCB's, etc. It's sustainably--and organically--produced; most of the products come from Canada, though hemp is being grown in the U.S. now and I've read it is finding markets/uses (I'm thinking of investing in this new industry).

Hemp is the cannabis plant that's grown for its fiber--it makes a good rope. It also makes durable textiles. You can construct homes/buildings out the stuff! 

I am not referring to the "other" cannabis, the plant that produces flowers that contain high amounts of THC, along with CBD, CBN--etc. I've also had plenty of experiences that wonderful plant. That plant treats symptoms (of anxiety/depression, etc.). Hemp seed oil isn't treating anything, it seems to me. It's giving me something which my body needs for health--a true supplement.

Hemp seed oil has no THC and little CBD. But is has lots of Omega 3 and 6 in better ratios than just about any other source (it also contains other "stuff" I don't know much about). You can get it in capsules, or directly from a bottle (which has to be refrigerated). It tastes good.

My questions: Has anyone else tried this product and what, if any, were its effects? Does anyone know of any online scientific resources for hemp seed oil that don't come from shysters trying to sell product? I know there's info out there on the depression-lessening effects of fish oil, but I'm interested to finding specific data/info on hemp seed oil.

There's very little info on our site here about hemp seed oil, yet I think it's a product/substance which may have great benefits for all of us.

I had tried and failed to stop Paxil several times (though never using a long, slow taper) and thought Celexa might be easier, so I shifted to Celexa in 2012. In August of 2014 I began a serious tapered withdrawal from Celexa (20 mg.), making monthly drops, mostly 10% of the last dose, sometimes more, sometimes less.  In July of 2016 I took an early retirement at 59 in large part because of my intense withdrawal  symptoms.

Three years and eight months after beginning my taper, I stopped taking Celexa on 5/12/18.

I am currently in recovery and I am very slowly getting better. I still have waves and some are quite bad. But overall the trend is toward healing.

• 3 months later...

I see this is an older post but I wanted to respond because I just started taking hemp oil (Charlotte's Web is the specific brand name). I find that it helps reduce anxiety and I notice a slight decrease in my chronic headaches. I have read that it can take up to a month for the full benefits to take affect so I am hoping my headache pain will be reduced even further. I'm wondering if you are still taking the oil and if so is it still working to reduce your anxiety?  I believe anxiety is the key trigger of my migraines. 

Nortriptyline (Pamelor) 25mg since July 2014

• ChessieCat changed the title to Hemp seed oil for Omega 3 & 6 (not CBD oil)
  • 1 year later...
On 7/9/2017 at 3:28 AM, myndfull said:

I don't know if this is the right place for this subject; please move if not.

I've taken fish oil in the past and not had any--or any noticeable--effect/affect on health/mood. I stopped taking fish oil about two years ago after taking it for about two years.

But I've recently begun taking hemp seed oil and I've noticed an interesting difference--a positive one. Since taking hemp seed oil (one tablespoon of the refrigerated oil) I seem to have more emotional stability. There seems to be a "ceiling" to my anxiety/panic. I can more easily talk myself down from--or away from--w/d feelings. I can rationalize how I feel with more...acuity(?). I can find my "center." ( I should say that I've recently stabilized my taper, so my w/d symptoms have lessened; they were bad two months or so ago when I foolishly dropped 16% in one month). 

Hemp seed oil has everything fish oil does except the PCB's, etc. It's sustainably--and organically--produced; most of the products come from Canada, though hemp is being grown in the U.S. now and I've read it is finding markets/uses (I'm thinking of investing in this new industry).

Hemp is the cannabis plant that's grown for its fiber--it makes a good rope. It also makes durable textiles. You can construct homes/buildings out the stuff! 

I am not referring to the "other" cannabis, the plant that produces flowers that contain high amounts of THC, along with CBD, CBN--etc. I've also had plenty of experiences that wonderful plant. That plant treats symptoms (of anxiety/depression, etc.). Hemp seed oil isn't treating anything, it seems to me. It's giving me something which my body needs for health--a true supplement.

Hemp seed oil has no THC and little CBD. But is has lots of Omega 3 and 6 in better ratios than just about any other source (it also contains other "stuff" I don't know much about). You can get it in capsules, or directly from a bottle (which has to be refrigerated). It tastes good.

My questions: Has anyone else tried this product and what, if any, were its effects? Does anyone know of any online scientific resources for hemp seed oil that don't come from shysters trying to sell product? I know there's info out there on the depression-lessening effects of fish oil, but I'm interested to finding specific data/info on hemp seed oil.

There's very little info on our site here about hemp seed oil, yet I think it's a product/substance which may have great benefits for all of us.

I don't think there has been much research on the effects hemp oil has on brain health (even three years later) but it would be interesting to know. Everything I can find says it is great for your brain.... maybe. 

10 years on various anti-depressants

5 years Effexor xr

tappered of 150mg in 6 months

nothing for two weeks

Reinstated 15 beads for 50 days

Tappered off then clean 2-3months

gradually went back up to 13 mg 3 years

bridged fluoxetine 10mg

2 week tapper

1 year clean

reinstated 5ml dispersed fluroxatine for 6months

I can't take the fish oil because it makes me physically sick.

To get Omega 3/6 during WDs, I've been making bowls of yoghurt with 2 shots of hemp seeds, 2 shots chia seeds, 2 shots linseed a.k.a flax, and whatever fresh fruit is kicking around.

It really does seem to help.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 10 months later...

I have seen in a few posts that mention Omega supplementation the numbers 3:6:9    What does that refer to?  Thank you!

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Effexor150  1998-November 2018 

Bupoprion150 2002-November 2018

Fluoxetine approximately 1/4 mg trial for WD symptoms December 2020. Took for 3 days but  it seemed to compound the dizziness significantly so I had to discontinue the trial. 

Current Medications: Levothyroxine, Acyclovir 

• Administrator

@Patti2057 when you have a general question like this, please use search or use Google to answer it.

• Altostrata changed the title to Omega 3-6-9 Fatty Acids vs Fish Oil

Oh ok, sorry 😐 

Nardil 1985-1988
Paxil ?-1998

Effexor150  1998-November 2018 

Bupoprion150 2002-November 2018

Fluoxetine approximately 1/4 mg trial for WD symptoms December 2020. Took for 3 days but  it seemed to compound the dizziness significantly so I had to discontinue the trial. 

Current Medications: Levothyroxine, Acyclovir 

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy