☼ Wolfhound desperate on Mirtazapine

Wolfhound

Petu, thank you very much once more for sharing your experience, it is invaluable. My intrusive thought are extremely scary and violent and I am doing my best to cope with them, at least I hope so. I am not able to use meditation techniques, I am not an expert in these, unfortunately....Sometimes they are so horrific that the experience makes me tremble even after all this history with psychic akathisia. I usually use distraction techniques - I try talking, colouring a picture with my toddler, TV but I can´t stay Tv often...it is too much stimulating at times, reading on computer....I also keep repeating myself that it´s only a thought and it cannot hurt you, even if I hardly believe it sometimes.

Thanks for the info about taurine, I won´t try it now, I would like to try coenzyme Q10.

Nikki, thanks for the chat. It really helps me to communicate with someone who actually knows what it´s like. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, the mental symptoms ARE the worst.

And- i I will look at the map too... :)

Yes, I felt better Sunday and Monday morning. It was a fine feeling...But yesterday afternoon I got so stressed since my eldest son did a very bad thing...well...maybe he panicked but I was so terrified and stressed I trembled the whole afternoon and today I got hit by extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, crying, trembling, negativity, depression...it´s really a terrible thing after feeling better for a couple of hours when you start to be optimistic. I really don´t know how I will manage my stressful life with children.

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

In the former hospital i took twice gabapentin. It should be all my medication.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wolfhound

• btdt

• bubble

• mattinsmom

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Wolfhound, I'm sorry it's so rough for you now. I've been there and I know it's so hard to get through, and I don't have small children to take care of any more, so I can only imagine.

I know it's not much help for me to tell you there's hope, because in this state you can't feel the hope so it doesn't mean anything. But I am holding hope for you. This is still very early days for you and things are definitely going to improve.

I'm not clear from your sig line, are you taking any psych meds right now? Are you still taking Klonopin or are you off everything?

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Hi WH ^_^

Does the Klonopin help your anxiety?  Or are you not on it....

You are a strong woman.  You are caring for your children under your present circumstances and that takes strength.  It is very easy to get stressed quickly while in WD mode. 

I am taking a lunch break and will talk to you again later.....

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Crossed over to Lexapro Paxil not available

at Pharmacies GSK halted deliveries

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Now Nefazadone/Imipramine 50mgs. each

45mgs. Serzone  50mgs. Imipramine

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi WH, I'm sorry you had a bad time after your son misbehaved.  I found that stress

can make things much worse and is utterly exhausting.  In withdrawal emotions are

heightened and what we would normally deal with every day turns us into quivering

wrecks! I hope that you recover soon and can put it behind you. I was really happy to

see that you had some good windows, even if they were short lived it is very encouraging. 

Hang on to the memories, they are confirmation that you are healing and getting better. 

The windows will get longer as time goes by :) 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

"Hi EternalOptimist,

thanks for asking. I have mostly psychological symptoms:  WH

Maybe we should have a thread on Obsessive and Scary Thoughts....takes nerve to talk about it.

I don't really pay attention to the physical symptoms but lately I have been realizing that I really do have them.

They don't bother me as much as the mental/emotional/psychological ones like you shared.

I have shared this before and it still embarrasses me but I will share it with you so you can know you are not alone. 

When I first had an anxiety meltdown back in 1996/97 I had an scary thought while I was dicing green peppers.  "OMG what if I hurt someone with a knife?"!!!   It scared the hell out of me and I had the sense enough to pick up the phone and call the lovely therapist I was seeing at the time.  I was in tears.  I wouldn't hurt a fly so this was terrifying.

She explained and I later found a tape/CD explaining this:  It was totally rooted in anxiety.  There is a term for it "Obsessive and Scary Thoughts".  It is something our minds do while under tremendous duress from anxiety.  Once that thought occurs it takes on a life of it's own and the scary thought builds into phobic proportions.

I have heard people who were afraid to bathe their children because the horrible scary thought popped up  "OMG what if I lose my mind and drown the baby".  It took guts for this woman to share this, but she overcame it.  And recognized it thru help that it is an "obsessive, scary thought we will never act on.

It is also rooted in the fear of a loss of control over our thoughts and lives from anxiety.

How I treated the knife thingy was to keep a steak knife out in full view and me looking at it and saying things like "I know you would never hurt anyone or yourself."  This is an obsessive and scary thought from anxiety. 

The other suggestion for dealing with these thoughts is to tell yourself "okay go crazy".  We can't do it.

In Dr. Burns book he told a story about one of his patients that was afraid he was going to rip all his clothes off and act crazy and run around naked like a nut job.  Dr. Burns told him the next time that thought comes up tell yourself Okay rip your clothes off and run up and down the hall like a blithering idiot.  The guy couldn't do it.  And it went away.

Another person (A CEO of a major American Corporation) when stuck on a drawbridge would become fueled by panic attacks, have the though of "Oh No I am going to lose control, jump out of the car and jump off the bridge."  Dr. Burns told him the same thing.  This man stopped having the thoughts.  He still had pings of anxiety, but the thoughts went away.

In 2008 when I was tapering Lexapro I was eating and using a steak knife.  I had a terrible surge of anxiety and I looked at the knife and got scared like I did back in 1997.  So I kept the knife in full view, flooded myself with the view of it and kept looking at it for a few days saying this is anxiety from WD and I know this is another obsessive and scary thought.  It went away.  I challenged myself to act like Jack the Ripper and couldn't.  Sometimes infusing humor can help.

This still embarrasses me.  I worry about sharing it, but other people did and it helped me to understand it.

I learned about this in Attacking Anxiety and Depression CDs.......

I sincerely hope this helps you.....

Intro: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1902-nikki-hi-my-rundown-with-ads/

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

I'm just making it back around for check-ins.

I've taught meditation for years, you do not have to be a pro. Find a place to sit or walk and notice your breathing. That's it. It doesn't have to be any harder than that. Breathe in, 1..2..3..breathe out 1..2..3  In the beginning, especially, your mind will try to mess you up and you'll have some terrible thought. This is when you say (in your head or out loud) "look at you, you sneaky thought. You're trying to get in here and scare me, well not this time" 1..2..3 breathe in, 1..2..3 breathe out. By acknowledging the thought you take away some of its power. In the beginning the thoughts come all the time. its ok. Always call it sneaky. Always say that it is trying to ruin things. Always return to counting/breathing. Try to do it for 30-seconds.

I've had evil, embarrassing, terrifying thoughts too. You aren't alone. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Omeprazole: 09/2103 40mg...5/1/14: 20mg... 8/21/14 = 0

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

Hydroxyzine; 10mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. Mood changes/rage 

Buspirone: 7.5mg: 5/20/15 *prn 4/5 times then dc'd. No changes.

Hi Wolfhound

I saw that you'd replied to my initial post on this website and I've been reading through some of this thread. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone and what you've been experiencing is classic akathisia.

I was very interested to see that you took augmentin at the beginning of this nightmare. That's exactly what kicked all this off for me too. In my post I haven't mentioned it because if I wrote my whole experience from the last 7.5 months, it would be about 50 pages long!!

I took augmentin, a high dose, mid august for a suspected infection. I'd actually had another antibiotic a few weeks prior to that which breaks the blood brain barrier and had a terrible reaction to it. I was pacing, horribly nauseous and all sorts. For two hours I was convinced I had to die.

After I'd taken my first augmentin tablet, I suddenly out of nowhere felt like I just had to die. I couldn't stand the thought of living for one single second. I was pacing around the house like crazy. I was agitated and started banging the walls with my fists. It was definitely a drug reaction. I called the Samaritans 3 times that day. I took the second tablet and was nauseous and retching. I just lay on my bed, weak and shaking. After the 3rd tablet I went nuts. I was pacing and almost screaming. I could not keep still. Suicide was on my mind every second. My partner took me to a and e. They said it was a reaction to the augmentin and stopped it. The extreme reaction continued all day and into the small hours until I fell asleep. When I woke up, the nausea had subsided quite a bit and I felt less agitated. By the evening, I felt better. I ate a meal and went for a walk.

The next morning, the nausea was back and I was anxious and agitated again. Every morning was the same after that. Nausea and retching. Kept feeling like I wanted to die. This was so not like me, a previously bubbly, happy person who loved life and had countless hobbies. I don't do any of those things now. In those early weeks, I'd get windows where I would feel better and back to normal, particularly in the evenings. I was fighting through and determined to get myself out of it. After a particularly bad day, around 5 weeks into all this, I went to the doctor and was prescribed citalopram, 20mg, my first ever anti depressant. This is when things went horribly wrong. I'd give anything to go back and not have taken anything!

My suicidal thoughts became worse than ever. Like you, they were every second of every day. Literally. Nothing I did would distract me. I was experiencing all kinds of drug side effects..my jaw was locking, my legs were covered in yellow bruises, I had a dry mouth all the time, tight chest, racing heart, unbelievable loud gurgling sounds in my stomach all the time. I've decided just to go for it and tell you my symptoms. It's not pretty and don't read if it's too alarming but it might just help you to know that you are not alone in what you have gone through. It also might help you to know that some MAJOR symptoms I developed disappeared! You might recognise some symptoms.

The above were the milder symptoms. The anxiety was at a level I'd never experienced before. Adrenaline started racing around my body. I could feel it rushing up and down my arms and legs all day every day. I was suicidal 24/7, just like you. It was utterly unbearable and went on and on and on. I used to lie in bed, moving my legs all the time to try to escape the horror inside and say over and over again, please help me, please help me, please let me die, please let me die. One of the worst things was the absolute terror. I was literally consumed by terror of EVERYTHING! I'd only have to look at my phone and I'd be afraid of it. Getting out of bed or doing anything was like climbing Everest. I had a churning stomach with every single thought, negative or positive. I was frightened of TV theme tunes. This from someone who loves watching films. I was unable to do any of the things I normally do. I couldn't think properly, couldn't remember things.

After a while, I began forcing myself to do normal things to try to retrain my brain. It was beyond hard but it was a little better than the alternative. I came off the drugs. Went down to 10mg for about a couple of weeks, then 5 mg then stopped.

By then, I had the feeling that my legs and arms weren't attached to my body, I had internal shaking of my legs, I had lost sensation in my bladder (very frightening) and my left arm was numb in places and buzzing. There wasn't a single position that I could be comfortable in. I couldn't sit or lie comfortably in any position. I kept moving around at night to try to find a position. I only slept 2-3 hours a night, except if I'd taken the odd diazepam or zopliclone (really didn't get on width zopliclone).

The week I was off the citalopram, the bruises went, the dry mouth, chest tightness sand racing heart went. I started sleeping again.

After only a week to ten days off the tablets I was as good as forced to go on more. Sertraline, another ssri, and seroquel. I got worse. My heart racing was worse than on citalopram. During the week between drugs, my head felt a little clearer. Now the mashed head was back again and worse than ever. Suicide was on my mind all the time. Later in the citalooram 'treatment', I'd pushed myself to do things again, particularly after I'd dropped the doses. Now I couldn't function. I do could do nothing around the house at all. I slept like crazy on the quetiapine and when I was awake, I was in constant terror and paced or hid in my bed begging god or whoever to just let me die. Like you I was asking my partner to let me go. I said I knew he and others loved me but I couldn't stand to go on this way and it wasn't going to get any better. I couldn't live the rest of my life like this and by this time, I was well and truly in the grips of the mental health team who were making me worse.

Like you, I felt no attachment to anyone around me or anything. I literally felt like I was grieving for everyone I ever knew. I've been through quite a lot in my life but none of it could touch what I was going through.

At this point, I actually did attempt suicide. But something made me change my mind halfway through. I thought, there has to be a way out of this. I thought of the people I'd leave behind. And I thought, why should I have to resort to this? I volunteered to go into hospital to avoid being sectioned. It was awful. The psychiatrist had no people skills. She, like others, would not believe that it was the drugs. I had 'agitated depression' and 'high anxiety'. I felt like screaming, you take the drugs. You live in my body and see how it feels. I've had anxiety and depression before, a few years ago, lived and breathed them and got out of them drug free and this was not the same. I knew it was the drugs. I tried all the techniques to calm anxiety and nothing worked. I know my body better than anyone and how it reacts to things. One care worker said it was many, many years since she'd seen anyone as bad as me.

I managed to get out to the hospital. I have to say that lorazepam worked for me. That is one of the drugs used to treat akathisia so I'm not surprised. Have you tried that one? I wasn't allowed very much.

Through my own determination, research and fight, I managed to escape the clutches of the mental health team (except one care worker who I see every six weeks)and got off the drugs.

And this might really help you..some of my symptoms started to heal! My bladder sensation returned. My numb arm went back to normal. The internal leg shaking stopped. My restlessness isn't as severe as it was. I developed a very bad tremor..that has gone.

Interestingly, like you, I've had chronic fatigue for years.

While researching online and trying to work out what on earth was wrong with me, I found out about akathisia. And what I read about severe akathisia exactly matched what I was experiencing, I was experiencing the inner hell that you'd do just about anything to escape from but can't and it makes you move around a lot. And the extreme sense of doom. It was all there! Id first hear the word when my original doctor had mentioned it. I was getting restlessness on the citalooram and he mentioned it then but he described it as involuntary jerks. When it isn't. I mentioned the word to the first osychiastrict and he described is as something different than the first doctor. I mentioned it to another doctor who described it as something different again!!! So clearly, none of them knew what it was!

I found a blog, written by an ex sufferer. It helped me immensely to find it. The lady who wrote it suffered severely from it for about six months after being given a shot of something in hospital. She now helps others through it. You can find her blog at akathisiainfo.wordpress.com and she said everyone gets better in time. That gave me huge hope. I'd highly recommend looking at her blog. She says being as clean as possible, as in no drugs and a clean diet, is the best way.

As for how I am now, I am experiencing withdrawals from the drugs. Actually, the brain zaps aren't as bad today as they have been. My sinuses and eye pressure have calmed a bit. I can now sit easier than I could. The restlessness isn't as bad as it was. I'm absolutely exhausted but I'm not surprised! I'm not actually suicidal now. I feel like I'd rather be dead and I hate the way I feel. I want my life back but I don't actually want to die.

Some days are better than others. I say affirmations like I am healing. I keep believing, believing, believing all the time. I am going to write a list of all the things I want to do when I'm better. I read inspirational quotes. One that really helps is a Michael J Fox quote..Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what is is and there has to be a way through it.

The brain has a remarkable capacity to heal.

From what I've read in some of your posts, you seem a little better, even if you don't feel it.

I hope none of this is alarming. My intention is the opposite..to show that some of my major symptoms disappeared and others will too. Things are changing. There is a way through. I wanted to write this as I know you've been looking for people who have experienced akathisia and have had the same thoughts and feelings as you. Akathisia is miserable and quite frankly, hell on earth and it can be very lonely. Trying to turn your thoughts around is hugely helpful.

Thinking of you. I'm so glad you've found medics who actually believe you. Let's hope the word will get out there and spread.

Take care and my thoughts are with you.

The only way out is through.

Aug 2013 - Augmentin leading to akathisia

Sept-Nov 2013 - Citalopram 20mg, severe reaction, off at 5mg. Valium 4mg, prn

Oct 2013 - 5 zopiclone tablets, 7.5mg

End Nov 2013-end Feb 2014, Seroquel, top dose 150mg, off at 25mg

End Nov 2013-early march 2014, Zoloft 100mg top dose, off at 25mg

End Dec-2013-early April 2014, lorazepam 1mg prn

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - 1mg lorazepam, last ever

29 June 2014 - med free

Petu, thank you very much once more for sharing your experience, it is invaluable. My intrusive thought are extremely scary and violent and I am doing my best to cope with them, at least I hope so. I am not able to use meditation techniques, I am not an expert in these, unfortunately....Sometimes they are so horrific that the experience makes me tremble even after all this history with psychic akathisia. I usually use distraction techniques - I try talking, colouring a picture with my toddler, TV but I can´t stay Tv often...it is too much stimulating at times, reading on computer....I also keep repeating myself that it´s only a thought and it cannot hurt you, even if I hardly believe it sometimes.

Thanks for the info about taurine, I won´t try it now, I would like to try coenzyme Q10.

Nikki, thanks for the chat. It really helps me to communicate with someone who actually knows what it´s like. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, the mental symptoms ARE the worst.

And- i I will look at the map too... :)

Yes, I felt better Sunday and Monday morning. It was a fine feeling...But yesterday afternoon I got so stressed since my eldest son did a very bad thing...well...maybe he panicked but I was so terrified and stressed I trembled the whole afternoon and today I got hit by extreme fatigue, muscle weakness, crying, trembling, negativity, depression...it´s really a terrible thing after feeling better for a couple of hours when you start to be optimistic. I really don´t know how I will manage my stressful life with children.

I liked Petu's ideas about the Power of Now and found it helpful too I was a few years into withdrawal before I found it and don't know how much it would have helped me early on or if i could have read it.. but there is an exercise in that book I used a lot ... watch for the next thought that is it... if your attentively watching it often the intursion stops I don't know if it work in early withdrawal with the intrusion is hard... I also had these thought when I started Effexor and the entire time I was on it... 7 years.. but they were at the worst in withdrawal... distraction helped me as well as simply accepting what they are by saying for me Effexor thought and accepting them as such... simply a drug induced brain assault... that I knew I could not control but I also knew could not hurt me.  

Peace to you... 

WARNING THIS WILL BE LONG
Had a car accident in 85
Codeine was the pain med when I was release from hosp continuous use till 89
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

There is a crack in everything ..That's how the light gets in :)

Hi all,

Thanks all for your wonderful posts. I keep reading them. I was not able to write much these days. Quick update, I am getting more physical symptoms. All make me think actually about CFS I had about 13 years before and that makes me scared.

Today I am precisely 4 months off. After 3 months on the drugs. Tomorrow it´s my son´s birthday. I said to myself Girl you must reach this day. And you must reach your father´s 90 birthday next month.

It is unbelievably hard to live through withdrawal with three children. Please, mothers, how do you cope, tell me. My worst fears concern my children and motherhood. I cannot get rid of these. Cannot.

Put on trazadone for 8 weeks. Psychic akathisia started on 100 mg. Not a single doctor believed me telling me it is all anxiety in my head. Terrible suicidal urges. Got voluntary hospitalised. Acknoledged adverse reaction, put me off cold turkey. Instalated mirtazapine to block the reaction of trazadone. 5 weeks on mirtazapine.acathisia worsened, suicidal, homicidal urges. Nobody believed. Finally they stopped mirtazapine cold turkey. My heighest dose of trazadone was 200 mg, of mirtazapine 30 mg. Since the c/t, suicidal, acathisia continuing.

tried promethazine for sleep. Tried atarax. Currently taking klonopin for 10 days. Good for sleep, but my condition worsening. Unable to tell if it is klonopin or a bad wave.

i was offered promethazin for sleep 25 mg and also small amount of quetiapine. Both are antipsychotics, even if ptomethszin very weak. Terribly afraid.

The guilt and grief of parenting is the worst going through this. I have no answers but send hugs, thoughts and prayers.

Happy Birthday to your son for tomorrow.

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Happy birthday to your son. Happy birthing day to you. 

As a mom, you do the best you can, you tell them that you love them every chance you get, and you know that no matter what they need you in their lives - even when you are struggling and miserable. 

Don't give up. 

Current:

Lorazapam2mg: 4/9/152mg - 1.5mg: already sick/nothing noticed. No changes in sleep noted after illness.  

Lamictal: 7/27/13 - 8/6/13: 400mg - 500mg(dr order) mouth sores, headache, cognitive/balance, heart palp...8/7/13 - 8/23/13: 500mg - 400mg; symptoms↓...10/10/13: 350mg; fever/flu-like <2-weeks...12/30/13: 325mg; fever/flu-like symptoms <1-week...2/10/17: 300mg; no significant changes noted. 

Discontinued:

Wellbutrin: 11/22/13: 300mg – 225mg...12/6/13 delayed reaction- mood swings, weight↓, heart palp/chest pain, alerting...12/14/13: 187mg; physical symptoms↓, neuro emotions ↑, weight stable...12/20/13: 225mg; physical symptoms return, emotions stable <1-week, weight↓...4/21/14: 187mg; weight↑...5/17/14 (neurologist ordered discontinue asap):168mg; headache, mood swings, ↑weight, sleep flux...5/24/14: 150mg; headache, mood swings, ↓cognitive/balance...6/2/14: 112mg; see above, weight stable, <3-weeks... 6/28/14: 100mg; moody...7/25/14: 87.5mg; family troubles... 8/4/14: 75mg; headaches; moody... 8/9/1450mg headaches... 8/12/14: 37.5mg; 8/17/14: 25mg...8/26/14 = 0

``It is unbelievably hard to live through withdrawal with three children. Please, mothers, how do you cope, tell me. My worst fears concern my children and motherhood. I cannot get rid of these. Cannot.``

You keep doing what you are doing till it gets better and it will.  The fact that you have fears about you children shows how much you care about them you still have not lost the love you have for them and you won`t lose it either and you will get thru all of this and go on because of it.  I know it is not much help to hear this no magic in the answer but it is the truth as I know it just sharing it with you.  Even tho it is hard to do this with kids harder than without I suspect but they are also you reason to go on and that is a trade off I will take any day.  I wish you peace this will get better. 

Had a car accident in 85
Given PROZAC by a specialist to help with nerve pain in my leg 89-90 not sure which year
Was not told a thing about it being a psych med thought it was a pain killer no info about psych side effects I went nuts had hallucinations. As I had a head injury and was diagnosed with a concussion in 85 I was sent to a head injury clinic in 1990 five years after the accident. I don't think they knew I had been on prozac I did not think it a big deal and never did finish the bottle of pills. I had tests of course lots of them. Was put into a pain clinic and given amitriptyline which stopped the withdrawal but had many side effects. But I could sleep something I had not done in a very long time the pain lessened. My mother got cancer in 94 they switched my meds to Zoloft to help deal with this pressure as I was her main care giver she died in 96. I stopped zoloft in 96 had withdrawal was put on paxil went nutty quit it ct put on resperidol quit it ct had withdrawal was put on Effexor... 2years later celexa was added 20mg then increased to 40mg huge personality change went wild. Did too fast taper off Celexa 05 as I felt unwell for a long time prior... quit Effexor 150mg ct 07 found ****** 8 months into withdrawal learned some things was banned from there in 08 have kept learning since. there is really not enough room here to put my history but I have a lot of opinions about a lot of things especially any of the drugs mentioned above.
One thing I would like to add here is this tidbit ALL OPIATES INCREASE SEROTONIN it is not a huge jump to being in chronic pain to being put on an ssri/snri and opiates will affect your antidepressants and your thinking.

As I do not update much I will put my quit date Nov. 17 2007 I quit Effexor cold turkey. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1096-introducing-myself-btdt/

The thing is WH you are doing and being a mom.....you feel terrible inside, but you are taking care of your children and you aren't seeing it because of how you feel.

You are allowed to feel ill.  It happened and you are dealing, managing and moving.  Children understand when their parents don't feel well and they still love us (even more).

It is possible that the CFS has been reactivated.  Chronic stress can do that.  Rest when you need to rest, drink lots of water, walk outdoors, alot of people have to look into holistic approaches to it.

Do some research online to find out what supplements can aid this.

Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Hi Wolfhound,

I have read your thread and I am amazed at your strength.  My story is different, but I also have young children and my heart hears yours in that regard.  I have felt tremendous guilt for putting my children (and husband) through this suffering.  My children actually made a secret plan the other week and just told me about it.  They think they should go live somewhere else until I am "better."  This broke my heart.  There is no way I can hide how poorly I've been doing from them, so we go through it together.  Friends keep telling me they will come out more empathetic and stronger.  This is probably true, but it doesn't necessarily help in the moment.  I like what everybody here has to say...keep doing what needs to be done and it will get better.  It seems so simple yet profound to me.  That assurance of hope...

Hope your day is okay today.

Since July 2013: on and off various dosages of  Ativan (last Oct 30, 2013), Zoloft, Cymbalta, Mirtazapine, Klonopin (last Feb 4, 2014), Gabapentin, Lexipro, narcotics, steroids, muscle relaxers

March 2014: Lexapro 20mg (since Nov 2013), mirtazapine 7.5mg (since Sept 2014)

At some point reduced Mirtazapine to 3.75mg to reduce side effects, was difficult but helped

January 6, 2015: last Lexapro, jumped from 1.25mg after tapering 1.25mg at a time

April 10, 2015: got liquid compounded Mirtazapine and switched over, same dose, 3.75mg

April 24, 2015: 3.4mg / May: 3.2mg / June: 3mg / July: 2.8mg / Aug: 2.6mg / Sept: 2.4mg / Oct: 2.2mg

If do decide to try supplements for the CFS be very very careful it can cause your withdrawal to backslide I would not chance it...I had CFS too so they say without any test to verify it I don't know how they know like many other things it is very subjective.  Nice to have a name for it maybe but the only treatment I have ever had was yep you guessed it antidepressants... forget about that trap.

Had a car accident in 85

Hi all,

I had a very "swinging" weekend. I had a better morning on Saturday, I managed to cook a lunch....after that I felt awful precisely when my children wanted to go roller skating. I told them I simply could not, locked myself in bedroom and cried a river. The evening was even worse I felt like I was going crazy, my brain wouldn´t work, I trembled and couldn´t think straight. Sunday morning the same untill lunchtime...but after lunch the symptoms eased a little bit and I managed to go outside with the children...I wasn´t able to go to the playgroung where they usually roller skate, never mind, we were in the neighboroughood not far away from our house. I was so glad I could go outside with them ...they were so happy...one year ago I wouldn´t even think about it...it was a pure routine...now it´s a demanding performance.

Nikki, Btdt, thanks for your input! I am not sure about CFS. Well, I am sure I had had it about 12/13 years ago. It was typical...a virus infection, then EB virus and I had spent 6 months not being able to even go shopping. I had many symptoms of CFS, very typical. After about 15 months I was ok and felt great since.

Now, it´s different since I know that the withdrawal can imitate CFS very well! So that´s why I am not sure....

Momof5,

thanks very much. The story of your children is heartbreaking. How do you cope?

Rhi, thanks to you too. I am amazed at your experience, are you a therapist? I have always wondered how is it possible you are so experienced with withdrawal stories. I hope you don´t mind my asking!

Going out with your kids is a a victory !!!

and know more days like this are coming.

peace :)

Had a car accident in 85

I wasn´t able to go to the playgroung where they usually roller skate, never mind, we were in the neighboroughood not far away from our house. I was so glad I could go outside with them ...they were so happy...one year ago I wouldn´t even think about it...it was a pure routine...now it´s a demanding performance.

This is great news wolfhound! You will get through this :)

08 Cipralex 10mg for about 6 months. 11-12 Cipralex 20mg. Unsuccesful WD. 12-13 Zoloft 100mg with Diazepam 10-20mg as needed for anxiety.
Fall 13 Tapering Zoloft 100->50->25->12,5->0 in 2,5 months and CT Diazepam. 12/24/13 RI Zoloft 12,5mg

1/21/14 11mg

3/18/14 9,9mg

2/18/14 8mg

4/22/14 7,6mg

5/5/14 7,2mg

5/12/14 -> cutting 0,5mg per week, holding when necessary.

8/18/14 -> cutting 0,25mg per week holding when necessary.

10/20/2014 -> cutting 0,1mg per week, holding when necessary.
12/28/2014 Jump!

• Moderator Emeritus

she is getting through this :)

it is so slow that it is sometimes hard to see but it is definitely happening :)

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Sending thoughts to you Wolfhound x

April 3rd 2014 zoloft 5mg for a few days. 18/4/14 - zoloft, 1mg. Came off at 0.35 mg,14th June 2014

29 June 2014 - med free

{{{hug}}}

Current:

Discontinued:

she is getting through this :)

it is so slow that it is sometimes hard to see but it is definitely happening :)

Love you post :)

Had a car accident in 85

• Moderator Emeritus

just stopping by to say hi

(and hope no news is, at least relatively, good news...

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

Hi all,

I am back to worsening sleep...I slept well at the weekend and the beginning of the week but now had two bad nights and I am really exhausted. I can´t take care of my kids like this.

Unfortunately I had to start antibiotics I had been prescribed two weeks ago...I tried fighting the UTI and bladder problems naturally, eating cranberries and drinking a lot...it didn´t work out. Yesterday I had so much burning sensation and I started having back pain....which I had had when having the kidney infection that had started all this drug nightmare ...I was so afraid of having a kidney infection that I started the antibiotics.

now I am scared it could worsen the WD symptoms. Scared because I had had an adverse reaction to penicilin antibiotics before... But an untreated kidney infection seems worse to me......

I was given Nitrofurantoin, has anyone here some experience?

Thanks.

Sorry to hear that.

Can you have a test to see if it is actually a kidney infection? I know I get a lot of pain in that area but it can be a withdrawel symtom. I know we shouldn't put everything down to withdrawal but thought I would mention it.

Hope somebody can help you on here.

Hugs x

2008 - Doctors appointment with stress induced anxiety led to Citalopram prescription.

Severe adverse reaction

Mirtazapine prescribed - adverse reaction but told to stay on.

Poop out - December 2013

15mg

Currently on 13.5mg,

April 12mg

May 10th - 11mg

June 10th - 10mg

July 8th - 9mg

September - 0mg

Hi Muddles

thanks. I don´t think it´s a kidney infection right now. Right now I feel it as an UTI and possibly a bladder infection but it can develop...I know that well...and now I don´t think it´s a WD symptom...the doctor did not order a culture test but only a quick test for the presence of blood bacteria and protein...I had something going on so it´s definitely an UTI and I wanted to treat it naturally... :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry you are so sick Wolfhound, as if you haven't enough to cope with  :( .

I find that cranberry juice helps with UTI's , apparently it changes the chemistry in the bladder so 

the bugs can't flourish. It takes a couple of days but does help. 

I hope it clears up soon for you. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

WH

Back pain is part of a UTI.  It doesn't always mean there is a kidney infection.  The med you are taking I have recently taken.  The side effects are not bad at all.  It is the quinolones that can be a problem.  Although I did not have a problem this time with it

Cipro.

You have to take it and chances are you will feel better as the infection goes away.  There are over the counter aids for the burning

Pyridium and there are blue pills which are the best but you need a prescription "uribel"  "urelle".  The stop spasms, burning and frequency. 

You may need to take an antifungal cream of pill with the antibiotic to ward off a yeast infection.

Your body has been fighting an infection.  These infections make me feel worse than the antibiotics.  Once you knock out the infection you will start to feel better.  In the states elderly people are tested for UTI's if their behavior changes or they have altered mental state.

Keep us posted and see about taking probiotics too.  The pills for the yeast are called fluconazole here. 

Hope you feel better soon....Hugs

Paxil 1997-2004

Lexapro 40mgs

Lexapro taper (2years)

Imipramine

Imipramine and Celexa

Thanks both,

mammap, I have been eating a lot of cranberries and I have been drinking what is called cranberry tea...some herbal tea with cranberries with no help actually....

Nikki, thanks for the input. I know you have a lot of trouble with this. I know that back pain does not meat immeadiately a kidney infection, but I started to have the same pain and burning that had led to the kidney infection ín August that´s why I panicked a bit.

I hope this Nitrofurantoin kicks in and I will feel better - from this point of view.

I will look at the things you recommended but it´s always difficult with the trade names that vary a lot from country to country.

I felt awful yesterday but my kids gave me some nice pics and a paper heart. It made my day. It was actually my birthday yesterday and I have never dreamt of having such a terrible birthday but this helped me ....

Wolfhound, have you heard of Allicin Max? Great for infections. Allicin is an ingredient in garlic. It's completely natural and safe and you can get it from amazon. I took 2 capsules 3 times a day for a couple of weeks. All my pain went.

I'm so sorry you are not feeling well.

29 June 2014 - med free

• Moderator Emeritus

and happy birthday to our dear Wolfhound!

your children have three great hearts all beating for you ;)

I checked for that supplement Winning Through just mentioned. I ordered something from Iherb before and was very happy with everything (it's just that delivery to our part of the world takes too long for infections ;( but the sizes are such that I couldn't help laughing: never seen that big bottles ;)

http://www.iherb.com/Allimax-100-Allicin-Powder-Capsules-180-mg-30-Veggie-Caps/3418#p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=allicin&rc=58&sr=null&ic=1

Wolfhound, have you heard of Allicin Max? Great for infections. Allicin is an ingredient in garlic. It's completely natural and safe and you can get it from amazon. I took 2 capsules 3 times a day for a couple of weeks. All my pain went.

Does this work on all infections or just kidney UTI?

Had a car accident in 85

Does this work on all infections or just kidney UTI?

Hi btdt

I think it's for any infection. I wouldn't say don't take antibiotics because that would be irresponsible of me. A serious infection definitely needs treatment. Just that a friend recommended it to me and it is good. I used it for a bladder infection.

A friend of mine said someone she knew had a very nasty infection that didn't respond to penicillin. She took Allicin Max and it went in four days. Obviously everyone is different but it worked for her.

29 June 2014 - med free

Hi bubble,

thanks a lot! I have already discover a slovak e-shop who sells it and delivers it here...(well, why wouldn´t they we used to be one country!) so I´ll order it there. I don´t have any paypal or paysec or whatever. :angry:

Btdt I also think it should be for any infection - it´s based on substances that you can find in garlic...and my father would repeat to me in my childhood that garlic and onion are just the best and most powerful natural remedies....he would prepare a garlic tincture and would use as a blood pressure medication-it did work for him.

Tired, sleepy, had an awful night, but somehow I am able to cook lunch. Beef stew with carrot/celery sauce. Someone is craving carbs, I am craving a good slice of beef meat. I pressume my body needs something that the beef meat contains! I could eat half a kilo!

discovered of course....sorry for the typos....