tgirl: help tapering from remeron

tgirl

I'm scared to change anything and he won't give me more remeron to up the dose.no he did not disclose his reasoning about comming off this fast.

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tgirl

• bubble

• Petunia

• dalsaan

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with Dalsaan, she has given you some good advice.

Reinstatement or updosing is the only way known, to stop withdrawal symptoms from tapering or stopping too fast.  If I were in your situation I would go back to 15mg right away, and see if it helps.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Its possible to get a prescription from any doctor or the ER, if you say you are in withdrawal from tapering too fast and ask for what you need.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes anyone can write a script. Doing what you are doing is not working so well for you. We have given you our best information based on our experience/understanding. it is your decision what you do with it

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi tgirl,

I got your "call" for help in my thread an i read through yours. I't is very bad that your pdoc does not listen to you! The advice you got from dalsaan, petu etc here is good. For me, and i believe many, reinstatement works and can get you stable. Dropping this fast is tough and what you feel is real and connected to the quick change in dose.

Try to go to a ordinary doctor or even the ER and tell about your withdrawal symptoms and that you do not want to come of mirtazapine this quickly. As for help in regards to communicating with your pdoc. Can you bring someone with you to the meeting with doctor/ER/pdoc? It sometimes helps that a third party is with. It can be hard to defend oneself in a meeting with a pdoc. Try writing down what you feel, need and want on paper before going to doctor. It helps with getting your arguments through. I've done this several times. I've read from my papers aloud to the doctor.

Wulfgar

2010: Mirtazapine 30mg followed by Zopiclone 7.5 mg for sleep post surgery due to pain.
2012-> Tapering Mirtazapine and Zopiclone at different rates unsuccessfully.
2013: Hospitalized 10 days due to complete Insomnia. Forced back up to 45mg Mirtazapine, 7.5 mg Zopiclone and also Theralene 1 ml.
2013-03: Lab showed Vitamin D deficient. Found the vitamin d and insomnia connection. Supplementing vitamin d. Sleep improved by 1-2 hours
2013-04: Dropped mirtazapine to 30 due to severe side effects. Quit Theralene. Zopiclone 7.5.
2013-05 - 2013-11: Mirtazapine taper monthly 25 20 15 11 8 4 2.5 mg
2013-12 Holding M at 2.5. Need to taper Zopiclone due to daytime nausea and vomiting. Taper zopiclone 1/4 red every 5 d. Last Z 2013-12-19
2013-12-31 M:2.5. Reinstated Zopiclone 3.75 due to Insomnia
2014-01-06 M:2.5. Taper Z 1.9 ... 2014-01-14 M:2.5. Z 1 mg.
Jumped of Zopiclone 01-20. Jumped mirtazapine 02-16.

Theralene: 10mg 02-09. 8mg 03-09. 5mg 03-15. 4mg 03-24. 3mg 04-08. Jumped 04-21.
Zopiclone free for 251 days. Mirtazapine free for 224 days.

Wulfgar,

Thank you for your respose. My brain feels like mush and I haven't slept in days. My appointment is a month away. Do you think my brain will ever function right? I tried to read from my papers and he doesn't listen and the last time I brought a third party, it didn't go so well. I have value options insurance and am having a hard time finding a new pdoc.

again thank you!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

• Moderator Emeritus

How much medication do you have on hand?   Do you have enough to try an updose between now and when you see your pdoc (I dont understand the insurance situation because we have a different system here but I would do all in my power to get prescriptions from someone else and change Dr)

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Administrator

In the US, any doctor can prescribe psychiatric drugs, it doesn't have to be a psychiatrist. Perhaps your GP can help you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am really scared and not doing so well.I already went to my go and she won't help me. I am so confused on what to do. I do not know how to use digital scales and am pretty sure I would never be able to figure it out myself. I am really hurting right now and feel all alone. I called and talked to another pdoc that said she would use the same tapering plan as my regular pdoc. I am so screwed! Each day I'm becoming more and more depessed. I feel like I'm going to die! Or that I want too.

help

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

• Administrator

Can you find a new psychiatrist? That is an unusual basket of drugs you're on.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

He gave me seriquil to sleep. It didn't work so I d/c that. He gave me nuerontin to help with the anxiety. It worked at first,but stopped so I d/c that. So now I'm only on remeron 7.5.thanks for your reply Dalsaan! I did manage to make an appointment with a new pdoc. Unfortunately I can't get in to see her until Dec. 2nd.Which means I will have to go back to my pdoc to get enough meds to last me until Dec 2nd. Until then I found a bottle of 15mg in my cabinet, that I used on my way up to 45. If I Crack them in half that gives me enough to go until I see that () again. I also have a few 45mg but don't know how to bust them up.

Again thanks so much for the reply!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

And thanks for your reply Alto!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

• Administrator

tgirl, you're going to have to read the links we give you so you can figure out the DIY stuff. Try to get to a computer or tablet so you can get a good look at those topics. They contain lots of instructions.

My mind is a blank right now.I can't understand anything right now but will give it a shot.

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Also I would like to add that he put me on the seriquil and neurontin after he started taking me down off the remeron.

Also, he had me on abilify 2.5 as an add on to the remeron. He d/c that when he started weening me off the rem. So the last dose of abilify was a month ago. ( give or take).

Thank you all

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

• Administrator

See this list of doctors -- there may be one near you http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v

Altostrata,

Are there anY success stories getting off remeron?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

And why do I seem to feel better at night time?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

It's good that you feel better at different times of the day. Withdrawal symptoms change around a lot. Your doctor is a real nitwit.

I was on Effexor (an antidepressant), but had all the withdrawal symptoms you're talking about. It took a long time, but I'm off the Effexor now

and doing fine.

Just because someone is on an antidepressant doesn't mean they can't have panic attacks, the Effexor worked very well most of the time for my panic attacks, but I still had them from time to time. 

I got into trouble about half way through my taper by reducing much too fast. Suddenly I had very bad withdrawal symptoms-depression, anxiety through the roof, and couldn't sleep anymore. I backtracked on my dosage and felt OK again pretty quickly. After that I just took it very slowly which kept the withdrawal symptoms to a minimum and certainly bearable.

As I said, if you're noticing a time of day when the symptoms aren't as bad, it's a good sign.  That you were only on the antidepressant for half a year is another good thing. I was on Effexor for 15 years. 

I know when you feel as bad as you do that it's very difficult to do anything let alone getting out to get a new prescription. The brain fog alone can make that very difficult. But I'll bet you can do it.

Once you up your dose slightly and wait a few weeks, if you're not feeling better you should try a slightly higher dose. If you can stabilize, then you can begin a slow taper.

Again, your symptoms are from tapering way way too fast. You've got to back track some and find the amount at which you can begin to stabilize (feel better).

I know it's difficult to post when you feel this way, but keep telling us how you're doing. Try to remember that anxiety makes you feel as though you're going to die, or that you're going crazy-but neither is true. Anxiety never killed anyone or made them go crazy.

Keep posting.   

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

How did you taper and what mgs. We're you on? How long did it take you?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

It's difficult to explain how I tapered. I first switched to the solid, immediate release form of Effexor. Then I found a sort of calipers in a junk drawer.

I began by rubbing the edge of the pill on a piece of sandpaper-just the slightest bit at first.

Then I measured the width of the pill with the calipers.

The Calipers had a sort of locking mechanism so I could measure the next, and each, pill with them. So in other words, I new how much to take off of the pill each time, and so was taking the same amount each dose.

When the small sliver of pill got too small to measure with the calipers, I switched to grinding the pills up into powder and measuring them by eye with a standard amount I kept on the side for that purpose. This was less accurate than the calipers, but  it seemed to worked out pretty well.

I ended up tapering for almost exactly 4 years-I still had withdrawal symptoms, but all very manageable-and many times felt completely normal.

There was a while there when I thought I'd never feel normal again, but that's actually a withdrawal symptom itself. You do begin to feel like your old self again. In fact, I feel fine right now and have for months.

I don't know about the actual material form of your antidepressant, probably you can't do what I did. The important message I want you to get is that Many have been in your position and gottin through it fine. Some antidepressants have bad reputations when it comes to getting off of them, but all create same kind of withdrawal symptoms. 

You and I are in the exact same boat, only you're just getting in while I'm just getting out. First off, we've got to find a way to stop it from rocking on you.

Ask me as many questions and as often as you'd like. But stay in touch with all of us here. We've been through it, or are getting through it, with the help of others, now it's time for us to help you through it.     

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Hi, Tgirl

hope you are doing better, I was on Remeron soltabs 45mg for a few years managed to tapper off completely within 4months, and I never felt better ..Two years later, my life was full of stressful situations, single mom of two teenagers, two jobs and my mother passing away,...I was in shambles, my doc placed me on Remeron again 30mg, I tapered off to 15mg, I have been on 15mg for a many years now, I recently tapered to 10mg.....If I was able to get off them once, so can you....keep your mind occupied as much as you can, focus on whatever it is you like,....also what has been helping me is the supplement inositol& IP-6....

Rachel

Thank you Rachel. How did you taper the soltabs?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

And how long did it take you to taper?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

• Administrator

tgirl, I admire the way you're gathering information about going off Remeron. :)

Thank you Alto!

Rache please see my question above.

thank you

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

And thank you Hudgens!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

You're certainly welcome, hope you're getting some relief today.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

Thank you Hudgens.

can anyone explain to me how I weigh out my med when I begin to taper below 7.5 and also what kind of scale I will need? And how do I know how much remeron pill = what my taper is?

Thank you kindly!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

You're going to have to go into the "Tapering" section and read the topic about tapering Remeron. But there are only 2 ways (neither of which I used) -weighing each dose with an electronic scale or dissolving the tablet in a medicine bottle and dosing from that with a syringe.

It's easy to rub a pill on a piece of sandpaper, the problem is finding a way to know you're only taking off the same amount every day.

I just happened to find a little contraption that had an adjustable screw that I could lock at each dose and so know pretty much how much to take off of the pill each day. I still don't know what the thing is called or what it was originally used for, but it worked great for most of my tapering. I'll send it to you if you'd like. It seems to me to have the advantage of being a much more simple and straight forward process than the 2 above alternatives. Just thought I'd give you the option.    

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

• Administrator

Hudgens, please add a complete explanation of your method to the Remeron tapering topic -- maybe with a photo of your gadget?

Here is the topic:

Hi tgirl,

Here are our tips for tapering off Remeron:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/5301-tips-for-tapering-off-remeron-mirtazapine/

We recommend cutting by no more than 10% per month, you probably need to updose.  Please start a topic for yourself in the introductions section and we will be able to offer suggestions and support through your taper.

Petu.

Can anyone tell me the easiest way to taper? Weighing it? If so how do I do it?

Mixing my own? Or a compound pharmacy? If compounding pharmacy how long will it last?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

• Moderator Emeritus

It might be best to give the compounding pharmacy a call and see what they can do for you tgirl.

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Hello Mammap,

Do you know how long the compound last for?

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Hi Tgirl.....hope your doing better.....In response to your questions, my first time tapering off was a 4month process, first two months were tough, however I did notice feeling better after the 2month, except for my ongoing struggle with insomnia which I had before I ever started remeron, , Soltabs are tricky to split into doses if done incorrectly and even being careful the potency is compromised when cutting them because they oxidize/ dissolve just from the moisture in the air and begin to degenerate, so it was tricky but not impossible.....for me the withdrawals started to ease after the 2months, always keeping in mind that my withdrawals was something temporary,..your body needs time to start adjusting to lower doses little by little....Your other question, about the second time tapering, well I must admit for me the second time has been somewhat difficult but I'm getting there, for me tapering off at a slow rate has helped, I recently went down to 7.5 and plan to stay there for 4weeks, then begin to lower.......Try not to worry too much tgirl, it will only add on to the problem...stay motivated.......things will get better

Thank you Rachel,

Update:

I don't know if anyone is reading this, but I think I will keep posting as to keep a diary of my journey.

I am holding at 7.5 hopefully until after the holidays.Which is where I have been for close to a month.

The last couple of nights I was able to sleep 4-8 hours. Broken sleep, non the less SLEEP. Hopefull I will continue ( knock on wood).

Today, I plan on actually cooking! The first time in over a month.

Yesterday I was able to attend my son's hockey game. He play for his school. Although I had to stand outside of the rink, because it was to cold ( never had this problem) I was able to watch the game through the glass. He scored a goal and I was sad I was not in the rink to celebrate with the other parents.

I am really concerned about my weight! I look skeletal. I feel and look like I'm 100 years old.

My next pdoc appointment is next week. I'm going to go back to the same pdoc that put me on this stuff and also took me off so fast. I don't know why?

Maybe because I think he could help me titrate at a slower rate (doubt it).

Anyhow I found a new pdoc and that appointment is Dec 2nd. I hope I like her so I don't have to go back to the old one.

I am so hear broken because my family doesn't believe my syptoms could be from withdrawl. They keep encouraging me to go in the hospital.makes me feel alone.

Questions: does anyone else on remeron have nose sores. Just wondering if it's another s/x?

Off to make diner.

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

Currently

Remeron 7.5