Alexander: Seroxat withdrawal

Alexander

I have just joined this site from Paxil Progress.  I have been withdrawing from 12 years of Seroxat for over a year now.  This last few weeks have been a real struggle. I thought that things were improving but the last 2 or 3 weeks have been awful.  I haven't slept properly for ages and it feels like WD again.   My body pulsates and irritates me.  I  keep arguing with my partner.  Life has no pleasure any more.  In the past I tried HTP, acupuncture.  I just have camomile tea now, which doesn't seem to help,  and Valerian for sleep which doesn't seem to have kicked in yet.   Tried some CBT therapy over the phone but without success.  I never thought coming off these things would be as bad as this.  I went into it with my eyes shut.    

Prescribed 20mg a day of Seroxat on 2001

August 2013 decided to taper.

Reduced by 10mg a week (adjusted over the week small amounts)

Stopped completely in April 2014

Brain and body went haywire.  

Didn't realise it was withdrawal at first.

Have not returned to ad's but can't get my life back.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alexander

• brassmonkey

• nz11

• KarenB

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Alexander,

Welcome!  I didn't post on PP that often recently but used the screen name Palm.

I feel your pain big time regarding insomnia and am sorry you have joined the club.  You might want to look at this forum for discussion on sleep issues:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/forum/8-symptoms-and-self-care/

I don't think any of us really ever truly knows what withdrawal will be like.   There is really no way you can know.   So don't be hard on yourself.

Finally, I know a year seems long to you regarding withdrawal but based on the experience of many people, a lot of healing is still taking place after that time.   So hang in there even though I know it is easier said than done.

Again, welcome.

CS

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alexander, welcome to SA. I'm sorry that you are suffering with withdrawal.   Seroxat is an evil little drug

and was the first one that I was given when I got on the drugs roller coaster!  

You are experiencing a withdrawal wave  and it will pass eventually, just hang in there. Here is our topic on

windows and waves http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/82-the-windows-and-waves-pattern-of-recovery/

I hope you see some improvement soon, it is no picnic riding those waves! 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks for replies.   So good to talk to others who have been through similar.  Doctors are not much help and deny that my symptoms are WD.   Just so tired of feeling like this and hoping each day comes to an end.  Then lying in bed pulsating and back on some evil merry go round.  Thanks again.

• Administrator

Hi Alexander

Welcome to SA.  I think it the link that CS posted you will find a suggestion to try Omega 3.  I use Krill Oil because it doesn't have a fishy after taste.  It is very calming to the nervous system.  But any good quality omega 3 oil will be helpful.  You might try Flax oil.  We recommend that you start with a low dose and see how you respond.  Then you can gradually increase your dose.  I take 3000 mg of Krill Oil daily, but I worked up to it over time.  Check out the sticky thread in the link CS provided.

Another recommendation is to try magnesium.  I use magnesium glycinate because it is a very gentle form of magnesium.  I take my magnesium in the evening before bed and find that it does help me have a better nights sleep.  Once again, start with a low dose and see how you respond.  Work your way up in dosage.  I take magnesium to bowel tolerance.  If one takes too much magnesium it will show up as loose bowels.  In that case, just back off of the magnesium until bowels normalize.

You'll find lots of gentle support here on your journey.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Well you are not the only one to go into this eyes wide shut....wdl sucks big time. Hoping you get ever widening windows. Its a long journey.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hello Markca,  identify with your signature where you describe your "clueless self-calculated 9 month taper".  That's exactly how it was for me.  Thought there would be a few dizzy spells and then back on track.  No chance!  Like you say, mornings are the worst time.  Facing another day feeling like this.

Karma, have bought some magnesium and giving that a go.  Start of another year and hope for better times.

• 1 month later...

How do we know if we are still in withdrawal, or if this is the way life will be without the cushion of ad's?   My life now really seems so hopeless.   I'm 56 and for most of my life I smoked cannabis and then after that 12 years on ad's.  This seems to be the first time in my life that my head has been "straight" and I have been feeling so lost and empty for months now and it's not getting better.   I don't know how to live my life any more.   I don't know if I love the people in my life any more.  I can't do anything anymore.   I don't think I felt as bad as this before I went on Seroxat.   Just feel so lonely lost and empty.

• Moderator Emeritus

I can relate to those feelings Alexander, I've had them myself and they are awful.  Your brain and nervous system are still healing, and these feelings, or the lack of them, will pass like the other symptoms. 

There is an interesting topic on demotivation that you might find interesting http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1203-disconnect-between-interest-and-actionmotivation/

Relapse or withdrawal?  http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1587-is-it-depression-or-withdrawal/

This too shall pass, it is another stage of the journey through withdrawal. I hope it passes for you soon, I know how hard it is to be in that stage. 

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

Thanks and will  read those posts.   I just hate my life so much and regret every thing and at the same time feel like such a moaning ungrateful person.   Don't even know if I still love my partner of many years and it's all so messed up.

• 3 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alexander ,   it's been a while since you posted here , and I wondered how things are going for you?

Fresh 

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Hi Alexander. Please don't give up hope. It takes so long to get back to normalcy. Our brains are trying. You'll get there soon. Just wait it out. Hugs. Pug.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

• 6 months later...

It's 18 months since I took my last dose of seroxat and things just don't want to settle in my body.   This last 6 months or so, I cannot sleep properly at all.   At first, this was confined to when I needed to do something away from the home the next day.  I went on holiday in summer, nothing major, somewhere not far.   I didn't sleep well all the time, and it was ruined.  I felt so guilty for spoiling things for my partner.   But since then, things are just worse and these last 6 weeks or so, when I go to bed, my body just seems to tingle/spasm, my heart beats fast,  and sleep is impossible.   Then I get into a bad habit of going for a wee every 10 minutes or so.   Sometimes I may drop off, then just wake again.  This can go on till 2am, or 4am , 6am depending.   Lately this is happening every night.   Day time I am exhausted and I just can't feel at ease in my body, like torture, just can't rest.

I feel really frightened.   I don't know if is still withdrawal.   I just want to get on with some things.   I'm frightened that I might be like this from now on but I don't want to go back on seroxat or anything else.  I dread going to bed and I dread trying to function through the day.   I'm just can't find rest in my own skin and am terrified. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Alexander,

I moved your introductory post to a Journal thread of its own. You can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. Its a good idea to bookmark it or follow it, so its easy to find again.

I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through, it sounds like you are in protracted withdrawal from seroxat. You tapered too fast, the same thing happened to me. I had been taking lexapro and other antidepressants for over 13 years and 'tapered' in two months. The following year I started getting all kinds of new symptoms, which got progressively worse. I didn't know anything about withdrawal until I found this site.

The best I can offer by way of advice is to listen to your body and avoid those things that set off symptoms as much as possible. A high quality fish oil and magnesium can sometimes help.  (See King of Supplements: Omega 3 Fatty Acids (Fish Oil) and Magnesium, Nature's Calcium Channel Blocker).

Here is the link to our symptoms and self care section, you may find some useful ideas to help manage symptoms as you recover.  Especially read the topics pinned at the top.

Recovery from withdrawal syndrome can sometimes take longer than people expect, but you will get better, recovery is not linear, it often happens in a windows and waves kind of pattern, see:

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Many thanks for your help.   I wish I had seen this site before I started tapering.  Hope you also continue to recover.

The exact thing happened to me late in my taper and sometimes I would go to the bathroom 8- 10 times per night . I hardly even drank any fluids either !! The ssri apparently messes with vasopressin hormone amongst every other one too. My symptoms sounded just like yours but now just a few times a week I get up to go maybe once a night and sleep is way better but still not right. When I suffered horrific sleep Doxylamine succinate worked great. Give it a try. It is unisom brand here in US.

Paxil start September 2003 due to Fluoroquinolone adverse reaction that I wish doc. knew what it was. 10mg. most of the time with a few short runs of 20mg. FAST tapered 3 times and finally hit poop out or a reaction to nsaid's in Nov.2013. Started a 10% taper Jan. 2014 and have been ok until Sept 14 and went through a short hell. Now plodding through and looking for the light with unrelenting insomnia and pain, fog, loss of interests....<p>12/20/14 - .8mg.

1/01/15 - .75 mg.

1/15/15 - .42 mg. better sleep now, hope it continues...

2/11-15 - .25 mg. doing really good!! 2 weeks feel 85% of old me!

3/17/15 .14 mg. Knee pain bad!

4/07/15 .05 mg. this is so small now that I am estimating and just licking it off palm small as a "." 

4/13/15 NOTHING !!!! Took my last little micro dose on 4/12/15. 

Welcome

Sometimes I may drop off, then just wake again.  This can go on till 2am, or 4am , 6am depending.   Lately this is happening every night.   Day time I am exhausted

This is withdrawal alright i have it too.

I try not to let it scare me and just go with the flow.

nz11

4.38 am

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

It's 18 months since I took my last dose of seroxat and things just don't want to settle in my body.   This last 6 months or so, I cannot sleep properly at all.   At first, this was confined to when I needed to do something away from the home the next day.  I went on holiday in summer, nothing major, somewhere not far.   I didn't sleep well all the time, and it was ruined.  I felt so guilty for spoiling things for my partner.   But since then, things are just worse and these last 6 weeks or so, when I go to bed, my body just seems to tingle/spasm, my heart beats fast,  and sleep is impossible.   Then I get into a bad habit of going for a wee every 10 minutes or so.   Sometimes I may drop off, then just wake again.  This can go on till 2am, or 4am , 6am depending.   Lately this is happening every night.   Day time I am exhausted and I just can't feel at ease in my body, like torture, just can't rest.

I feel really frightened.   I don't know if is still withdrawal.   I just want to get on with some things.   I'm frightened that I might be like this from now on but I don't want to go back on seroxat or anything else.  I dread going to bed and I dread trying to function through the day.   I'm just can't find rest in my own skin and am terrified. 

Oh this is definitely related to your seroxtat use - very typical symptoms from post-Seroxtat users.  Unfortunately this may continue for some time.  Hang in there, eventually it does get better and you will feel comfortable in your own skin again.

You may wish to try epsome salt baths, there's some information in the Magnesium thread that petunia listed.  I've found them to be very soothing and helps alleviate the discomfort in the body and some of the sleep issues as well.

I found that magnesium by bath is profoundly more useful than orally ingested magnesium - I wish I hadn't wasted my $ on buying magnesium pills, they just made me feel worse.  But the magnesium bath's reliably calm me down - and I have very similar symptoms to the ones your describing.

Here's one site you can buy some from:

http://www.saltworks.us/shop/product.asp?idProduct=678#.Vk9lBr-GO70

Thanks for the replies.   Still haven't slept really at all since I wrote, so other people's experiences really help and make me feel less alone.  I have tried more supplements than I can remember and nothing seems to have helped.  Oral magnesium the most recent which hasn't been much good.   I will try the epsom baths. 

Thanks Silver Star, I'll try and go with the flow.  At the moment, my body aches from lack of sleep and those insidious creeping pulses/tingles really grind you down.  I just try and believe I'll feel well again in the future.

Hi,Alexander...I'm also off paxil for 18 mos. and am stillsuffering alot....a few windows but never feel entirely "right".

it's a scary situation to say the least.

I have some sleep problems,too ,not as bad as you ,but I really relate to the tingling...this seems to be getting worse lately,and my feet burn and feel numb alot..

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

• Moderator Emeritus

I hear you on the sleep,stuff. There is a reason that sleep,deprivation is a technique of torture!

I recommend rather than trying to sleep, which can get way too intense because you are desperate, focus on relaxing as much as possible. I use sleep hypnosis to help me do that and guided meditation techniques. These things create the conditions for sleep and if you focus on relaxing your body and mind you will be more functional in the morning than if you have fought your insomnia all night

The other thing I recommend is go to bed when you are sleepy. This sounds like common sense but when you are exhausted it's difficult to tell the difference between shear exhaustion and being sleep. If you are yawning and your eyelids are droopy, you are sleepy. Here is a technique to help you feel sleepy,

imagine you are in a quite room with friends, you are sitting quietly relaxing. Now imagine that someone starts to yawn. Yawning is contagious. Imagine someone else yawning. Keep imagining this until you are yawning and sleepy.

I know this sounds a bit silly but give it a go when you are thinking about going to bed but work with your body on this. Iat different times through the evening you will,feel more and then less awake. Work with the less awake times. If you have got your second wind and are wide awake, don't pick this time to try and sleep

Hope this helps

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

It's also possible to trigger yawns by closing your eyes, relaxing your body and opening your mouth really wide.  Sound weird but it works.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Taking all suggestions and help on board and really appreciate people taking the trouble to write.  I managed a reasonable night's sleep last night by about 1.30am, the first in over 2 weeks.  I will have to see if this was pure exhaustion but I really hope this phase passes soon. The tingling and spasms just wear you out.  Currently I am reading a new book "Why can't I meditate" by Nigel Wellings,  also trying some acupuncture.   Don't know if people have heard of an organisation in Liverpool called CITA,  it helped people with involuntary tranquiliser addiction.  It was run by a couple of volunteers and have been of help to me in the past.  I contacted them recently and sad to hear that they have had to close down due to lack of funds and workload.  Such a shame that the great work and help they did has had to end.

• Administrator

Welcome, Alexander.

Please also see Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Been worried lately about sexual dysfunction and lack of orgasm intensity.   When I came off seroxat, over 18 months ago, this didn't seem to be a problem.   But in recent months, an orgasm doesn't have the same intensity.  I feel embarassed asking this, but am worried if it is permanent.  I know when you get older this can happen anyway, but I'm not sure if this is the reason.   I have been looking on other web sites, and PSSD (post med sex dysfunction roughly speaking) seems a problem.  From reading people's experiences that seem so similar to mine, I worry that sexual dysfunction, anhedonia and insomnia, amongst other things, are something I will never fully recover from, after 12 years on paxil.  I just can't seem to get any balance in my life at all or any peace.  I know it's from paxil and not depression and don't know what to do.

• 1 month later...

After 2 years off Seroxat, I have bad insomnia.  Reluctantly I visited my doctor who immediately prescribed 10mg of Amitriptyline.  When I asked if it was an antidepressant, she said that at this low dose it was not.  Looking into the drug, I find all the usual side effects of ADs, weight gain, sexual dysfunction etc.  I am now angry and confused.  I have a months supply, but will my insomnia return after this and then looking to their long term use?  Also, I had such bad withdrawal from 12 years of seroxat that I don't want to find myself in that hell again.  Why has my doctor done this? She didn't offer me any other help and said I would have no problem coming off them.   I really don't want to take them, but my sleep is bad and I have tried EVERYTHING.  

Why do these doctors just hand this stuff out and then almost lie to you.  I am really fed up about it, as I was SO reluctant to visit the docs in the first place.   Any advice would be welcome.

• Moderator Emeritus

It is in fact an SNRI:  Tips for Tapering Amitriptyline

You are right to be angry at your doctor for misleading you.  You are the one who will have to cope with any side-effects or w/d! 

You may be better to have bad insomnia than take any more meds.  I guess you've been over the sleep threads forwards and backwards by now? 

And as with everything else, drugs only mask these problems - the cannot fix them.  So yes, insomnia would likely return after you finished the course.  In fact, it could be worse, due to w/d symptoms as you taper.

I'd steer clear of it.

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Alexander,

I changed the title to more accurately reflect your topic. I also feel angry at your doctor for not being honest with you. Amitriptyline can sometimes be sedating, as can many of the antidepressants, but its still classed as an antidepressant and has the same side effects, potential for causing long term harm and withdrawal problems.

Its good you did some research before taking it. If there's one positive thing which has come from our horrendous experience of prescription drug withdrawal, its that we have learned to look out for our own well-being rather than blindly trust what 'professionals' tell us.

There are no quick fixes for withdrawal insomnia. From your signature, it looks like you are 22 months off Seroxat after a too fast taper. I was still having significant sleep issues at 22 months drug free, but now at 33 month, my sleep is generally quite good.

Some supplements have helped with getting me to sleep, but for the longest time I was waking through the night and in the morning too early.  I recently added inositol to the magnesium and taurine which I take at night, and that seems to have helped, somewhat. But my belief is that its mostly time which fixes sleep along with all the other symptoms.

We do what we can to manage, sometimes we find something which takes the edge off a symptom. Some people swear by supplements, others find they make things worse. I doubt there's something I can suggest that you haven't already thought about, especially if you're familiar with our sleep topics contained in this thread: Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

If you're able to get some sleep, then you will be ok. Learning how to accept the current insomnia and not create secondary anxiety and stress about it will help with supporting your recovery process. By staying calm and accepting, it lowers stress and this is the environment our nervous system needs to do its best repair work.

Maybe visit the sleep topics again and see if there's something else you might like to try.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

That is a low dose of amitryptiline, but yes, it is an antidepressant, and with it all the lovely side effects. You may find it fairly easy to get off right now, but after a while, it is just as bad as any of the other drugs here (look at my situation). There is NO drug that you can take that is going to magically fix insomnia, that doesn't have serious possible side effects and possible dependency issues. Amitryptiline is actually one of the milder ones. Any of the z-drugs (Ambien, Lunesta, etc..) any of the benzos (Restoril, Ativan, Valium etc...) will almost certainly cause rebound insomnia, and worse problems getting off of them. Even supplements such as melatonin can cause problems, there is no magic pill.

When you say "bad insomnia" what do you mean? Nights with Zero sleep? nights with 4 hours, 5 hours? If you can function at all, it is best to power on through it. One night with zero sleep won't kill you. With multiple nights of zero sleep, it gets really hard, then you may need something in order to function. Never rely on your doctor for drug information, never take anything at all without thoroughly researching it yourself. Ask questions here or elsewhere before you take anything, so you know exactly what you are up against.

1975--first signs of depression

1981--started on imipramine (Tofranil) for IBS and depression

1983-1986--severe depression, rotated through several drugs, on MAOI for one year, eventually back to tricyclics

1986-1994--chronic low grade depression, on tricyclics

1994-96--severe depression, rotated through several drugs inc. Prozax, Effexor, etc..

1996-2013--chronic low grade depression, SAD, on amitryptiline usual dose 12.5-25mg

flurazepam (Dalmane) as needed for insomnia

2013--developed temazepam (Restoril) dependance for 2 months, tapered off over 1 month

started bio-identical progesterone 5 mg., depression has lifted completely to this day

March 2016--forced to c/t both amitryptiline and flurazepam, zolpidem not helpful

reinstated small dose (.5 mg) amitryptiline due to stomach issues and tapering w/titration

June 19th--jumped from amitryptiline--drug free!

I can totally relate to your feeling fed up. Having been taken off cold turkey whilst an inpatient in November 2013, i am still having difficulty with my sleep. The way I see it, my brain/body was artificially sedated for 17 years and adapted to the drugs. When I was taken off them my whole body went into shock and had almost forgotten how to sleep. My sleep pattern is still disturbed - if I'm really lucky I will get 4 hours of sleep in one shot. I have tried all sorts - the usual sleep hygiene stuff etc. I have also reluctantly gone to my GP in desperation thinking he might be able to help, but like you was prescribed amitriptyline 10mg, he also suggested mirtazapine 15mg or one of the old style antipsychotics - I was speechless !! Taking these drugs got me into this situation in the first place.

My sleep is slowly improving as time passes and I think my acceptance that this is all part of the withdrawal process has helped, also being kind to myself, taking a nap or just sitting down for half an hour watching mindless tv, in other words really listening to my body.

Hope that is of some help. I see you are in Yorkshire, I'm in Birmingham so feel free to contact me anytime.

First contact with psychiatrist in Jan 1997.

Since then given "diagnoses" of: postnatal depression, severe recurrent depression, bipolar disorder, dependent personality disorder & emotionally unstable personality disorder.

Treatment: various cocktails of psych meds including: imipramine, lithium, venlafaxine, mirtazapine, quetiapine, chlorpromazine, depot injections of clopixol, zolpidem and as a last resort ECT.

Taken off mirtazapine, venlafaxine and lithium cold turkey whilst inpatient on acute psychiatric ward in Nov 2013.

Challenging & agonising withdrawal process but getting easier now.

Human again !!

I knew that this is what the doctor would do if I went.   I understand that they cannot offer a lot in the way of a quick fix, but the least I expected was some honesty.  Thanks for the help and the replies.  I won't be taking these tablets, not after I have come so far.  My sleep has got worse in the last 10 months or so, and I've tried many supplements, currently Californian Poppy.  When I get to bed, I may sleep for 20 minutes then wake up and my body seems to go into panic mode,  heart racing, tingling waves through my body and then feeling increasingly uncomfortable and getting out of bed.  By bad insomnia I mean sometimes, up to 2 weeks of not sleeping till 3 or 4 in the morning, and then still waking up several times.  Some nights I never seem to drop off at all.  The exhaustion accumulates and then spend days feeling sick and not functioning.   Then I may sleep ok for a few nights, then it all starts again.  

It is good to hear other people have come through the same and improved.  It's just that I live with my partner and he has put up with a lot from me through wd.  As we only have one bedroom, I keep disturbing him, and naturally he gets fed up.    Also, I know that holidays are not the most important consideration, but since wd, when we have been away, I hardly sleep at all.  This does not make for me being good company for my partner, who has been very patient and kind throughout.  

I will look back at sleep advice on this site and try and find a way to get through this.   It feels like being on a treadmill of misery, buying supplements that don't work, acupuncture that doesn't work, a sometimes disgruntled partner and brain fog in my head.   

• Administrator

Hello, Alexander. I merged all your Intro topics, so you can follow your progress on this one topic, and the responses to your earlier questions. Please bookmark or follow this topic so you can find it again for your updates.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such difficulties. Sleep problems are very, very common in post-acute withdrawal syndrome.

Did you ever try fish oil and magnesium supplements, see
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1300-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

Some people find the combination or magnesium in particular to be relaxing and aid sleep.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I won't be taking these tablets, not after I have come so far. 

Good decision.

Alexander I draw hope at times from Shea Carney's testimony taken from another site and posted here in the success stories. 

Shea said it took 5-7 years before she could sleep with some regularity.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1226-recovery-success-stories-from-around-the-web/?p=118549

Recovering paxil addict

Oh yeah just wanted to say Freespirit i really liked your interpretation of what has occurred.

A great post among many great posts.

Recovering paxil addict

Hi,Alexander,

sorry to read you're still suffering so much;we're both off Paxil the same time...it's such a long journey and not being able to sleep is so awful.

I hope you can find relief soon...wishing you well,ds

went on Prozac 1994-99,60mg.poopout ct  back on 2001-2002,prozac weekly 2002,not working,Effexor 75 mg.?2003-mar.2004 gaining weight 8wk. taper,wellbutrin 150 mg.mar. -may 2004 ctmedfree til july 2005 back to Prozac gaining weight again,back on wellbutrin jan.2006150-300 mg.bad constipation.also was taking aygestin(hormone)perimenopausal irregular bleeding.back on Prozac around sept,?2006,hysterectomy jan30.2007(adenomyosis)off&on Prozac til 2009,citalopram about 1 mo, April 2010 no effect,Effexor again may -mar, 2011.ct,Prozac aug,-dec, 2011 &sept-nov 2012,paroxetine oct,23 2013-may 4 2014 20 mgs.tapered 6 wks.-failed RI in Oct.2014-in protracted WD.started 10 mgs. Fluoxetine May 25 2021 .Stopped fluoxetine May 2022 at 5 mgs.

Thanks for drawing my attention to Shea Carney's testimony.   I really thought I was over the worst of WD, but these last few months I feel as though I am, what I can only describe as falling down a big hole.   I'm really trying to hold it together, and try to hide from my partner some of what I really feel.  He has been supportive, but sometimes I know he thinks, "not the withdrawal again!"

I just want to feel comfortable in my body again.   It seems so long since I did.