SelmaLady: How do I do this?

SelmaLady

Today was soooooooooooo much better.  Little to -0- akathisia or PGAD.  Felt able to think better this morning.  But the unknown visual chaos continues to get more and more abnormal.  As always, I try so hard to figure out why this is happening and have no answers .  Terrifies me so that I can't be happy with the lessening of the akathisia/PGAD.  I have to leave this all to God because it is more than I can bear. 

My husband got me a really small computer (10") to compensate for the brain's inability to focus on close items.  But I find that it is no better trying to use that than the one I have.  My brain is processing the screen on some other level than what is focused right in front of me.  I can even watch a big screen television because my brain doesn't try to process the whole screen, but rather parts of it at a time.  God knows what this -- that is the only comfort I have.

I tried to help my husband do some rose bush pruning in advance of transplanting them to other areas.  The ground rises to meet my eyes and the I can see every thorn that is on the bush .  Heartbreaking because I so love my garden.  I have to imagine what it looks like now as it has blurred to a nearly dimensionless water color.  We have gardens of weeds and I can't do anything about it and it pulls at me.  I look on line for new shrubs and flowers for the Spring knowing that, if this doesn't stop advancing, I won't be able to look at them at all.  Back to God knows.  I could not go on if I didn't completely know that He is in control, that He inhabits even my shrinking world. 

I slept really well but the dreams are so weird.  I am always in strange places with strange people and knowing that I am not myself.  I am so grateful for sleep and yet I know that these relentless dreams will swallow me up ...

My husband fully believes that I will eventually come out of the dreamworld I am in 24/7.  I need to draw continually on his faith in my ability to come back from this abyss.  He has always been the one who is "right" and I the one who, after much analysis come to a good conclusion only to find that I am once again, "wrong".  How I pray that he is once again right.

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

3/15/16  Doxepin 49mg Micro Tapering  Zoloft 24.3mg Holding taper

3/15/16 Clonidine mg 0.1 1/2 -    Decreasing incrementally.  DISCONTINUED

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

11/16/16 Doxepin 48mg  Zoloft 24.3mg  Clonidine 1.30mg

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

01/13/19  Doxepin 45mg   Zoloft 21mg   Will start Micro taper of Doxepin 2/19

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

26 Apr 2022 - Zoloft at -0-

Yes, SL--Praying your husband is right, and that this is the case for all of us. Glad the akathisia and PGAD are giving you a break. Sorry about your continued vision issues. You are always in my prayers.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Praying for healing for so many. 

Today I am back in agony.  God protect our souls.

1971-81  Valium 5mg c/t PAWS     1992- through now Zoloft 25mg    2003-05 Valium 12mg Slow Taper Off

2013 Afrin Exposure to CNS    2013 O/D Val 230mg    2013 Doxepin 50mg Clonidine 2mg Zoloft 25mg

10/9/16  Doxepin 48.9  Zoloft 24.3  Clonidine  01.10  Continuing micro taper on Doxepin.

5/4/17  Doxepin 45mg  Zoloft 24mg  Clonidine 1.20mg   Micro taper of Doxepin  , Clonidine

12/21/21  Doxepin 20 mg ?  Reducing using water micro taper--Pulling 24ml from 75ml

12/2121   Zoloft .060 grams by weight--HOLDING (info from post added by CC: On 12/21/21 my dosage was .060grams by weight or 20mg. )

I am so sorry. I am praying as well. This is the third day for me.

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

We will get through today in God's strength.   I am continuing in constant prayer, Luv.  You will recover from this -- there are lots of people who have had horrible akathisia and no longer do.  I know how hideous it is to live one moment in it.  I have a little calendar where I can tear off each day.  One day closer to regaining a life that does not torture us.  Love to you.

Like the calendar idea, and I know we will recover. I'm curious though (and I know you have this too)... I was just reading a thread where someone was basically being told "it can't hurt you"...(the akathisia) I don't understand that thinking. A couple of days ago when I was left here, I came the closest to self-harm that I ever have. Am I just blowing this out of proportion--because I don't see any way to control it--or do people need to be more careful with their offhand comments when they don't know the situation? I've seen this before, and the comment appeared to be deleted when the person suffering ended up in a really bad way, and unable to even post... I mean... Have you found any way to keep it from ramping up? (Hugs)

Like the calendar idea, and I know we will recover. I'm curious though (and I know you have this too)... I was just reading a thread where someone was basically being told "it can't hurt you"...(the akathisia) I don't understand that thinking. A couple of days ago when I was left here, I came the closest to self-harm that I ever have. Am I just blowing this out of proportion--because I don't see any way to control it--or do people need to be more careful with their offhand comments when they don't know the situation? I've seen this before, and the comment appeared to be deleted when the person suffering ended up in a really bad way, and unable to even post... I mean... Have you found any way to keep it from ramping up? (Hugs)

My husband says that to me too, especially about the visual distortions---I don't really understand it either---of COURSE if is hurting me, it is destroying any joy I have.  I guess they mean that it is not actually killing brain cells??  

I just talked to my husband about why he says that and he said what I thot,. that it's not causing irreversible damage.  I do know that, but it is as agonizing as any physical damage---I tell him often that it feels as painful as if I were having a limb cut off w/o anesthesia.  Truly. 

I know that if someone has NOT suffered akathisia, that is it very difficult if not impossible to access the agony that is felt in it.   There are people who have come through it and don't even want to talk about it because it was so traumatic.  It is a type of torture and is not found in the "natural" world but only in those who have been exposed to man made chems.  And for me it is so painful to see off hand remarks from someone who has not walked in the shoes.  But I have also seen wonderful, compassionate and understanding posts from people who, while they don't feel the pain of akathisia,they do recognize and empathize with the agony of it.  I so love those people for their willingness to be empathetic. 

I do completely understand the pull to self harm when in a really bad and intense wave of this.  Obviously I would understand, as I actually tried to do something to end the pain.  I try to tell my husband about how it is not a decision we make, it is an overwhelming NEED to DO something and our brains tell us that ending our lives is the reasonable thing to do, the only thing that will stop the agony.  It is not anything that we would EVER think outside of this.  So its good that you have your husband with you.  My husband says that he is keeping me alive so that I come back into a life worth living.  I won't tell you what I have thot of and asked my husband for, because I know you know and we don't want to go there. 

I wish I knew something that would help when we're in the thick of it, but the best we can do is to stay in contact with others and to remind ourselves that this will pass in time.  When I was in the psych hospital after my attempt, I had a counselor tell me to not fight with the thots and feelings for self harm but to neutralize as best I could, to let the thots come and try not to react.   But when I am in the worst of it, I can't do anything Luv but to call out to God over and over and over and over.  Just, "Help me God, Help me God, Help me God"  And to remind myself that this does lighten up in the evening so that I will get some relief if I just hang on.   And that others have gone through this and have gone on to see it leave and they are grateful and joyful and glad they made it through. 

Oh Lord God.  We need YOUR thots and YOUR presence in us and help and strengthen us to endure to our healing.  And Oh God, please bring healing quickly to us. 

Dear God, have we all not suffered enough? We need Your help now, God. We've all had enough of this endless torture and all we ask is for a few hours of relief to give us hope, a glimpse of what our future will be. Please deliver us from this painful existence and give us hope. Holy Spirit, the keeper of our well-being, please let us see the light of your love and compassion. Please pull us out of the darkness, even for a little while, just so we have something to hold onto. We are all suffering so much and we are innocent good people. Please God please help us. We believe in you. We need hope. That's all. Just hope that we can heal and WILL heal. Amen.

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

It is an offhand comment made by someone who clearly has no idea what they are talking about. People need to be more vigilent about comments. I have often said I would appreciate people not speaking of which they know nothing. WD is WD. But, we all have different experiences and they should not be minimized. I try to keep my specific opinions about symptoms confined to the symptoms I have actually experienced and I shut up when it is something I have no experience with.

I have literally been so miserable but too scared to hurt myself that I have asked my mother to "not let me suffer anymore". I think we can all figure out what I meant. So, unless the person commenting has experience in this kind of misery, comments instructing people should probably be kept to a minimum.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Amen! Thanks for your detailed reply and prayer, SL. I just wondered if there was something I was missing, or something more I could be doing to try and help myself. Perhaps the discussion I saw was about less intense symptoms. Whatever--I feel better knowing that is not the case. Yes, calling out to God is common for me with these episodes. I did not mean to bring up painful memories. I didn't know or forgot how real this was for you. I am sorry :(

Thanks for the prayer, Pug. We will all get there in time!

JDM, I agree. We don't all have the same symptoms. I try to give support without speaking on topics I know nothing about. I hope I am successful in this. I could have never imagined how truly horrible this could be. Someone on the Zoloft FB page actually asked me yesterday why I did not taper slowly... Duh... because I wanted to do a science experiment... Do you really think I would have done it this way if I had known?!

JDM, I agree. We don't all have the same symptoms. I try to give support without speaking on topics I know nothing about. I hope I am successful in this. I could have never imagined how truly horrible this could be. Someone on the Zoloft FB page actually asked me yesterday why I did not taper slowly... Duh... because I wanted to do a science experiment... Do you really think I would have done it this way if I had known?!

January 2012 - Prescribed 900mg gabapentin and 30mg Norco for lower lumber spinal stenosis pain.

September 2013 - Spinal fusion surgery, 6 levels. Hospital ramped up meds 1500mg gabapentin, 100mg Norco, 80mg Oxycontin, 25mg Fentanyl patch.

January 2014 - Sever nausea daily and with back pain every 4 hours. 2 trips to ER. First endoscopy found ulcer. Treated with Sucralfate and PPI. Second endo in May found no ulcers. Doctors said it was the opiates causing the nausea. CT'd Oxycontin, Fentanyl patch.

July 2014 - Lost 48 lbs. due to not eating because of severe nausea. GP prescribed Prozac 20mg and Ativan 2mg prn. Tried for 4 days, quit. Two week followup GP said keep taking Prozac. 4 days, quit again. Ativan taken rarely prn for anxiety and appetite.

August 2014 - Went to detox. Off opiates. Still nauseous, helmet head, drugged feeling. Doctor CT'd gabapentin. Ended up in ER. Found 2 gallstones. Gabapentin reinstated at 900mg. Tried botched up and down taper to get off Gabapentin. No tapering advice from doctor. Said to just CT again.

September 2014 - Coded on table during gallbladder surgery. Developed liver biloma due to CPR by doctor. Had bile bulb inserted for 2 wks to drain.

October 2014 - Gallbladder removed. Still nauseous, 3am cortisol surging, drugged helmet head, vertigo, breathlessness, whooshing head, heart palps.

November 8th, 2014 - CT'd gabapentin suggested by family and 4 different doctors. Was told no withdrawal is associated with gabapentin. Have been in hell ever since. No windows, just one big tsunami every day with same symptoms for 4 months.

December 26, 2014 - Found SA. At least I know I'm not insane. My family thinks I'm doing this to myself. Akathesia has become unbearable.

March 10, 2015 - In absolute daily hell with no relief. Currently taking magnesium 200mg before bedtime.

I've had people ask me the same thing. And I wasn't as kind as you were with a response. :) People who say they have suffered at the level you and Selma have are generally less likely to talk about it. It is traumatic. The people who are willing to talk generally stay out of details and are not very pushy with what people "should" do. I try to just give general support, and sometimes I say nothing and just pray, because I have no words to reach the level of suffering that person is enduring. It amazes me that no matter the severity of a situation there is always someone who knows what everyone "should" be doing. This implies if we all just did it right everything would be fine. It's a blame the victim mentality I cannot stomach. This situation we are all in is inhumane and insidious. And all we can do is keep breathing, and hold on to Jesus.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

I get thrown to the ground all the time with the doom and gloom CT future comments. It keeps me in bed in despair all day. I'm sorry to rant.

We will ALL heal, regardless of how we chose to get off these drugs.

I just love you all so much and pray for your suffering to end soon.

We love you too Pug.

Selma, sorry I hijacked your thread. Lol :( thinking of you and praying for you.

Actually, that wasn't what I actually said--just what I felt like saying! I patiently explained how I did not know. Yesterday was very stressful, because there were a couple of threads going on the board relative to WD, and a couple of us have been trying to share our experiences. (The other lady did it the right way.) It is very hard for me to share. It is our thought that, between the two of us, we can get people to listen.

Love you all. Praying for us all--all the time!

Actually, that wasn't what I actually said--just what I felt like saying! I patiently explained how I did not know. Yesterday was very stressful, because there were a couple of threads going on the board relative to WD, and a couple of us have been trying to share our experiences. (The other lady did it the right way. It is very hard for me to share.

Ha!!! I thought that response was perfectly civil! You are so well behaved!! I think mania pushes me into being a bit impulsive when people push my buttons. I used to be a bit more composed. I can imagine sharing is very difficult. Especially when people are clueless.

If Jesus wanted me to taper, He would have led me to this forum. He didn't. This is the path He wanted me to take and He will see me (and all of us) through this hell. I like to imagine He's watching us from above and we're in this dark forest and can't see anything but blackness and scary shadows. He sees, though, that we are just a few yards away from the light and colorful world and out of the dark forest. We can't see it because we are in it. But He sees how close we are to the light. This keeps me going.

Sometimes this tapering cr*p gives me anal spasms!

Guess I better add that to my symptoms list. SAnal Spasms.

Sorry.

Now I'll probably get kicked out of SA.

Selma, I'm so sorry to rant on your thread. I'm in such a bad way lately. You are all invited to my pity party. I'm making a cake even JDM and I can eat without throwing up.

Yes, you do have a point Pug. There is a reason it happened this way. I was just thinking this morning about the pic I've seen on FB with the guy digging through the long tunnel only to give up, stop, and turn around just a fraction of an inch from breaking through.

What is FB?

Facebook

That's a great visual image too. Its why we can't give up.

Selma, I'm so sorry to rant on your thread. I'm in such a bad way lately. You are all invited to my pity party. I'm making a cake even JDM and I can eat without throwing up.

Lol!!!!!! :P funny!!! True!

Oh okay. I don't go on there but I have an account. People are just too happy there. And they all remember me from grammar school and high school cheerleader days. The old fogey alums keep hitting on me. If they only knew the prune sack I've become. They'd run away like their hair was on fire.

What, their ball sacks are down to their knees and they imagine me to look like I did in high school?

Lol...

Yes, you do have a point Pug. There is a reason it happened this way. I was just thinking this morning about the pic I've seen on FB with the guy digging through the long tunnel only to give up, stop, and turn around just a fraction of an inch from breaking through.

I can't number the times I say to God, "Please let me go back and not use the Afrin or at least not start taking the Doxepin and then taking the penicillin."  I was actually starting to heal before the penicillin, my hair was growing back in, I had normal feelings, the world was where it is supposed to be, words looked normal, the world was far more real as was I.  I know I shouldn't do it, but I repeat it over and over and over.  I know that God foresaw this and has already gone ahead of me and will be with me through this.  But the road that I was on just suddenly dropped off and I fell into a deep well and just keep falling.

It's just so hard to fathom...