apace41: tapering Zoloft / sertraline

apace41

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy. Just wanted to see how you were feeling. Has the dizziness gotten better?

Thanks so much for checking in, Bromor!  Very sweet of you.

It's been a very hit or miss thing which is kind of confusing to me.  I had a pretty good afternoon yesterday, exercised (30 minutes spinning) and felt pretty decent in the evening.  Created some level of optimism.  Woke up with the same dizziness.

When I say confusing I mean that I've had opinions from people I respect (which mirror my own thoughts) suggesting:

• Dizziness is all withdrawal
  • Dizziness is anxiety-driven which is exacerbated by withdrawal
  • Dizziness has nothing to do with either withdrawal or anxiety but is driven by an underlying condition in the vestibular function (you'd need to read the whole thread to understand this started in 1986 prior to meds)
  • Dizziness is vestibular but is exacerbated by withdrawal

It's so confusing your head could spin.  Oh, wait, that's the PROBLEM!  LOL.  :P

Anyway, I've decided to make the assumption that it is all intertwined so I will (hopefully) be able to continue my taper in the near future which will address that piece.  At the same time I'm going to work on quelling any anxiety that is not "neuro" based through some meditation practices and other cognitive behavioral approaches as well as trying some vestibular rehab stuff online.  I'm also going to start a homeopathic aid for dizziness that contains known herbs that calm dizziness including ginger and lemongrass.  Finally, on Saturday, I will begin a Yoga class (I used to do Yoga regularly but I've been off it due to hip pain -- this is a gentle class [i'd never make it in Australia apparently!]).

Thanks again for your interest, Bromor.

Best,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

Andy,   You wouldn't stand a chance over here !  LOL.  :)   You would have to get " Yoga  Fit " and every other kind of " fit".  It's " sink or swim " . It's  brutal !   :D

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy,   You wouldn't stand a chance over here !  LOL.  :)   You would have to get " Yoga  Fit " and every other kind of " fit".  It's " sink or swim " . It's  brutal !   :D

Ali

Boy, Ali, after hearing from JC and you if I didn't know any better I'd think you Aussies have some kind of inferiority complex and need to prove to the rest of us how "tough" you are.

But since I know better I won't say that.

;)

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

It's so confusing your head could spin. Oh, wait, that's the PROBLEM! LOL.

???????? ok ~ so I'm confessing this totally made me laugh!

I'm sure it's no surprise that I like the idea of using homeopathic meds to help with the dizziness. If you have access to essential oils, peppermint, ocotea, tangerine & frankincense are recommended to help dizziness.

I'll admit ~ I'm impressed with your spin class. I barely made it through working, cooking, laundry & 15 min on my treadmill. And yoga ~ well ~ *someday*.

On Zoloft for 10 years (50 mg) for GAD & panic attacks

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Did CT off of Zoloft in May 2014 - bad decision!

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

LOL . :)   I dare you to come over and find out for yourself  !   J.C. will back me up. It's " survival of the fittest", in " OZ" !!  We are indeed, a " tough breed" !! :D

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sure it's no surprise that I like the idea of using homeopathic meds to help with the dizziness. If you have access to essential oils, peppermint, ocotea, tangerine & frankincense are recommended to help dizziness.

I'll admit ~ I'm impressed with your spin class. I barely made it through working, cooking, laundry & 15 min on my treadmill. And yoga ~ well ~ *someday*.

I use frankincense, Bromor, but I will look into the others!  Thanks.  The only good thing about a CPAP machine is you can breathe essential oils through the machine all night long.  :blink:

It's not a "spin class" -- I'm far too antisocial for that.  :D It's a spinning bike that has a great program and pushes you along with it.  "In 30 seconds begin standing climb in hand position 3..."  "You're doing great! Keep hydrated."  Great way not to deal with overly enthusiastic and sadistic spinning class instructors.

LOL.  :P

Andy

Hi Andy. Thanks for stopping my my thread. Hope you are feeling less dizzy these days. I hear ya on an actual class ~ while I love being around people ~ I would just rather NOT be social while being yelled at and sweating ha! Have a great weekend.

Deb

Weaned off fall of 2013, terrible set back in Feb '14 back on 100 mg & trazadone to sleep.

Back on 50 mg Zoloft & Xanax as needed (was upped to 75 mg by doctor in Feb 2015)

Started to wean off of Zoloft in April 2015 ~ totally off Zoloft in Oct 2015 and now am on Buspar 11.25 mg to help.

I was on a 50 mg pill & 25 mg pill - I cut the 25 mg pill in half (12.5) and took that with the 50 for 6 weeks - 1st week June 2015

50 mg for another 6 weeks. 25 mg in half and the 50 mg in half (37.5), 25 mg mid Sept for about 2 weeks.,1/2 of the 25 mg last week of Sept/1st week of Oct then off.

Update** 9 mg Zoloft reinstated early Nov 15, along with 1.5 mg Buspar daily. On .50 of Buspar & 9 mg of Zoloft. Oct '16 - off of Buspar, Nov '16 - down to 7.5 mg Zoloft. March'17 - 4 mg Zoloft. July'17 - 2 mg, Sept 1 mg. Oct'17 - off! Done!

I also take magnesium, L theanine, Gaba Calm, L Glutamine, Vit B complex(for methyl issues), Liver & Gall bladder support, Zinc, Whole Food Vit C & Fish Oil. DARE & the bible are the tools I use to help navigate this  process.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy

In answer to your question re body pain, the only thing that ever helps is a warm bath and being asleep (not at the same time lol)! I have no pain whilst asleep but within minutes of waking I get random pains however I am aware that I hold my body in very rigid positions so my muscles are constantly tense (I should probably have a six pack). I haven't found anything else that helps. Like you I do have some health anxiety and as a nurse I can come up with many other very unpleasant possibilities for my symptoms!

Time is most likely the only "cure".

Sending hugs.

PN xx

1995-1998 various SSRIs then withdrawal

2000 Sertraline

2003 Sertraline then changed to Prozac to attempt withdrawal.

2004 failed at withdrawal so Citalopram.

2010 attempted slow withdrawal over 12 months but failed- sever episode depression 2012

2012 3 days of Mirtazepine with bad reaction so started escitalopram 20mgs

2013 started very very slow taper with a number of slight reinstatements

Currently on between 0.5 and 1mg escitalopram drops at day.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for your reply, PN.

I edited the post to make the fix you subsequently posted and deleted the subsequent post.

Just keeping my thread clean!  LOL.  :D

I know the feeling about pain.  I try to fall asleep before the pain in my hips makes it hard to do so.   Frustrating!

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

So, I've been in an extended hold at 25mg of sertraline for the past 4 months.  The idea was that I would be going away at the end of the year and it would be convenient to be at a single 25mg pill rather than tapering while away, and, at the same time, I would get to a point where I was feeling really good and stable so I could go after that last 25mg from a position of strength.

To quote Steinbeck, "the best laid plans of mice and men oft go astray."  The past 4 months have seen what I would call a slow decline in my overall "wellness".  While I have done some things that would constitute stress to my CNS (such as the 16 hour drive to and from Florida) and the recent snow shoveling, I'm still not sure why "on the whole" I feel less well than I did in October when I stopped the taper.  My primary symptoms are:

• dizziness that is pretty much 24/7 -- to be clear, it is not for the most part room spinning vertigo-like dizziness, rather it is the kind of "floor feels unsteady" up and down kind of discomfort.  Much of it is very subjective as I can do things from a balance perspective that other people can't do who have no sense of dizziness or unsteadiness. By way of example, sometimes when my eyes are closed, so there is no external input that would cause dizziness, I have a sense of my vision (almost behind my eyes) doing a somersault (if that makes any sense whatsoever)
  • depersonalization/derealization much of the time.  It is not acute in the sense of making me have a lot of secondary anxiety and panic attacks but it is there at a low level behind the scenes on a fairly constant basis.  I think I am sort of "getting used to it" and learning to manage it so it doesn't freak me out, but there are times I find it rather uncomfortable
  • palpitations from time to time, but I've had those for so long that I pretty much ignore them
  • anxiety that comes and goes in waves, although I am not highly anxious most of the time -- much of the anxiety is health-related anxiety where I get pains and catastrophize that it is a heart attack, stroke, fill in the blank.  I've always had some tendencies in this regard but it is much worse in the recent past
  • hip and joint paint that could be from osteoarthritis per my orthopedist, but I think may well be resulting from or exacerbated by the withdrawal process
  • depression which I honestly believe (aside from an occasional wave of hopeless feeling) is because of the rest of this crap.

It is important from my perspective to note that much of the symptoms that I am having can frequently be tied to or solely result from extreme anxiety (true for dizziness, dp/dr, palpitations) and my working assumption is that I had an anxiety condition 25 years ago that was essentially "put on hold" by the meds and when they became less effective in 2012 and the symptoms started breaking through leading to me deciding to get off, I exacerbated the symptoms through the withdrawal process.  In other words, I am in that conundrum of "is it withdrawal" or "is it the underlying condition" or "is it a combination of both?"  Of course, that thought process of doubting whether withdrawal is at the core is, in and of itself often a withdrawal symptom.

So, as we come up to the beginning of February, I am thinking it might just be time to start tapering again because the hold is not really helping me.  Of course, I have fear that tapering could make things worse, but I don't know that I can see any good reason to extend this already lengthy hold if I'm not feeling better.

I'd appreciate thoughts from people on what they think makes the most sense here.

Best,

Andy

• Administrator

Hi, Andy. It sounds like you're snowed in?

Were you ever sensitive to light? It sounds like your nervous system is getting overstimulated by something.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Andy. It sounds like you're snowed in?

Not any more, Alto.  Got out last Monday and was back at work all week.  Lots of snow but it's all just sitting around getting dirty now.  Amazing how quickly it goes from pretty to gross..

Were you ever sensitive to light? It sounds like your nervous system is getting overstimulated by something.

Never had any kind of light sensitivity of which I'm aware.  The things potentially affecting my nervous system in the recent past are work, shoveling all of the white stuff last weekend and the usual, like coffee and a glass of wine or beer at night (which I'm giving up for the foreseeable future).  Nothing out of the ordinary I can think of.

Any other thoughts welcome. 

Andy

• Administrator

Do you wear sunglasses when you're outside and there's snow on the ground?

When I lived in a snowy area (upstate NY), the glare almost gave me headaches, and that was decades before antidepressants.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

No, I don't.  Never really thought of that.

Hi Andy - It was very interesting to read your post although I am sorry you are not feeling so good lately. Like you I was given AD's for anxiety and have been on them a long time. I now think the drug was starting to lose it's effectiveness after keeping anxiety at bay for many years.

I am certainly not an expert so will leave any advice to them. Just a thought though do you think it could be the drug itself doing this to you?

You have done a wonderful taper so far but of course are still taking the drug. I say this because I have been trying to stabilise for a long time, more or less a year after a too quick taper. I have had all your symptoms and have come to the conclusion that although WD symptoms can persist it could be the drug doing this to me. Of course it is impossible to know until drug free which is a long way off in my case.

I have started my taper at last and am waiting patiently to see if there is any improvement.

Maybe if you were to do another cut it might just help.

Best

Flowers

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Flowers.  I appreciate the input.  That's kind of where I'm leaning.

Best,

Andy

When I was living in the snow country in Montana we would have people contract "snow blindness" while indoors because of the glare coming through the windows.  Eye protection, even on overcast days, is very important.

As far as your taper goes, I think it's time to move on.  Long holds can be advantageous for a while, but for some people there's a limit to their effectiveness. A decline in well being is a sure sign that the time has come.  Don't underestimate the effects of the work stress on your WD symptoms.  My job is not in the least stressful but just the routine of getting up and out  then facing the deadlines and meetings will kick start my symptoms every time.  I'll be feeling great Sunday night, but by Wednesday afternoon everything is starting to kick up, and I'm talking the symptoms you just mentioned.  I've had those symptoms the entire way down, so I'm quite certain they're WD related. 

Hope you don't get buried with this latest storm.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Administrator

Before making any change in your dosage, Andy, I would cut down on the visual stimulation. You may wish to wear the amber glasses while working on the computer also, particularly at night.

• Moderator Emeritus

When I was living in the snow country in Montana we would have people contract "snow blindness" while indoors because of the glare coming through the windows.  Eye protection, even on overcast days, is very important.

Thanks, Tom.  Good reminder.  I should know that but I need to be more cognizant.

As far as your taper goes, I think it's time to move on.  Long holds can be advantageous for a while, but for some people there's a limit to their effectiveness. A decline in well being is a sure sign that the time has come.  Don't underestimate the effects of the work stress on your WD symptoms.  My job is not in the least stressful but just the routine of getting up and out  then facing the deadlines and meetings will kick start my symptoms every time.  I'll be feeling great Sunday night, but by Wednesday afternoon everything is starting to kick up, and I'm talking the symptoms you just mentioned.  I've had those symptoms the entire way down, so I'm quite certain they're WD related. 

I appreciate your thoughts, Tom.  I agree that work stress is a big aspect of this.  I'm usually pretty good by Sunday night and feel it by the end of the day Monday or Tuesday.  I agree with you regarding the need to get the taper going.  I'm going to follow Alto's advice regarding the amber glasses, and see what impact if any they have, but I intend to restart the taper sooner rather than later.  I'm not getting any younger here!

Hope you don't get buried with this latest storm.

Lots of snow.  Lots of shoveling, but able to get out and not be trapped after the weekend.

• Moderator Emeritus

Before making any change in your dosage, Andy, I would cut down on the visual stimulation. You may wish to wear the amber glasses while working on the computer also, particularly at night.

Thanks, Alto.  Just ordered a pair of the glasses.  We'll see whether that helps.

Once I stabilize from this wave, I think I will restart the taper since I wasn't seeing any improvement prior to this snow event.

I appreciate all your input.

Best,

Andy

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm glad you were able to get some help here on your thread Andy. The way you describe your dizziness sounds like the 'boaty' feeling talked about on benzo boards. I've had that a few times since being in withdrawal, but never lasting longer than a few seconds. Before drugs I used to get it whenever I had jet-lag.

In other words, I am in that conundrum of "is it withdrawal" or "is it the underlying condition" or "is it a combination of both?" 

If you had a tendency for anxiety previously and haven't done anything to address that, which you may have, then my guess is its likely to be a combination of breakthrough of previous 'condition', withdrawal exacerbating previous condition, which it tends to do and pure withdrawal stuff.

My prediction :)  is that once you're safely tapered and recovered, most of it will resolve itself and you will be left with your original anxiety which will be more manageable now you have some tools and skills.

I hope the glasses help.    cool.gif

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Petu.  I appreciate your thoughts.

That is the right description -- the "boaty" feeling.  Like you can't get your "sealegs." Sometime worse than others but after a while it starts to wear on you and it also causes a stiff neck because you aren't moving freely.

I think I am learning more coping tools now than I ever had to before.  Once this is behind me (please God), I think I will be better able to deal with some of life's stuff than I was when I was 24 and put on the meds.

Best,

Andy

Andy ~ you will have awesome coping skills when you get through this!!! For what it's worth ~ I think the Zoloft was a bandaid applied to your (& mine....I was put on Zoloft for anxiety) symptom. The real reason whether it be physical or mental wasn't dealt with. This is just my own opinion but I think that my personal anxiety had physical, emotional & mental roots ~ it's been like putting a very complex puzzle together for me to figure out how to fix the imbalance not just alleviate my symptoms. (Although, my word!! I do want those GONE!) keep us updated on how you're feeling. Oh & mag taurate really helped my heart palps.

Have a great day! ☀️

• Moderator Emeritus

I agree with your assessment, Bromor.

Now the question is whether the dizziness was a symptom of the underlying condition or the underlying condition itself, i.e., was it anxiety-induced dizziness?  Never felt that anxious but perhaps it was long-term low level fight or flight?  Hard to say.

I appreciate your kind words and I'm continuing to fight the good fight.  As with all, some days are better and worse than others.

Best,

Andy

• Administrator

Andy, has reducing light stimulation helped at all?

• Moderator Emeritus

Andy, has reducing light stimulation helped at all?

Thanks for checking in, Alto.  It's only been two days since I got the glasses so it's a little hard to say.  Maybe a touch, but it seems to vary a fair amount with my stress level.  I'm reading "when panic attacks" which is a CBT book to try to get some ideas to cover that angle as well.

I must say, however, I look pretty cool in my new amber shades.

LOL.

:P

Andy

"I must say, however, I look pretty cool in my new amber shades."

Image is 90% of the battle. LOL

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Read an article about the MTHFR mutation causing dizziness ~ I know you said you had gotten testing done before.... Anyway, if I can remember where I read it, I'll post the link. It was very interesting.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Bromor!

I really appreciate your thinking of me.

I'd love to see that if you can find it.  Hope you are feeling well.

Best,

Andy

Of course I can't find it now!! Anyway, if you search for info on MTHFR & symptoms ~ there is a ton of info out there. Very interesting. Next time though I read something like that, I'll at least put a note in my phone because gone are the days when I had a good "rememberer" ;)

Of course I can't find it now!! Anyway, if you search for info on MTHFR & symptoms ~ there is a ton of info out there. Very interesting. Next time though I read something like that, I'll at least put a note in my phone because gone are the days when I had a good "rememberer" ;)

Just wanted to chime in that last January when I had that stroke-like event happen, I had been following a plant based diet for a few years.I was taking a multivitamin that had some B12 in it, but I wasn't taking a separate B12 supplement. I was convinced at the time, that the neurological issues were from lack of B12. I asked my doctor for a shot of B12, and I took some sublingual at home. I almost "broke his machine" because my B12 was so high when it was tested.

When I was in the hospital, I assertively asked for the MTHRF test. The doctor did it, and it came back that I didn't have the gene. Another doctor told me that the MTHFR test is a complete waste of money. I am convinced now that my neurological issues had nothing to do with a lack of B12, and all to do with my tapering too fast off of zoloft as well as whatever underlying anxiety still was present.

I stopped eating plant based from the time I was in the hospital, to the present day, to try and eat more balanced and to show them that I wanted to do everything in my power to improve my health. My B12 labs were still normal in the hospital.

B12 deficiency is rare unless you're on a 100% whole foods plant based diet without some sort of B12 supplementation.

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Given 25mg.

2017: Started taper, got fearful of possible withdrawal effects, stopped.
May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Bromor!  I appreciate your looking.  I have read several other pieces on MTHFR and understand how some people think it could be a factor. 

When I was in the hospital, I assertively asked for the MTHRF test. The doctor did it, and it came back that I didn't have the gene. Another doctor told me that the MTHFR test is a complete waste of money. I am convinced now that my neurological issues had nothing to do with a lack of B12, and all to do with my tapering too fast off of zoloft as well as whatever underlying anxiety still was present.

Thanks for your note, Serenity.  I think the notion that MTHFR is "worthless" is an overstatement by that doctor.  I think a better way of saying it is that "it proves too much in some people".  In other words, just because you have the gene (especially if you are heterozygous), it is hard to know how much (if any) effect that has in any one person.  For some people, the MTHFR can significantly impact things like homocysteine levels and related heart disease, but for others there is no such correlation.  I think it can simply serve as a marker for things you might want to keep an eye on.  In addition, because the fix of adding methyl folate is so simple and inexpensive, it's probably worth a try for most people (of course, MOST people are not in SSRI w/d where adding a B complex vitamin can be too activating :o ).

Best,

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andy. How is the dizziness? Hope it's abated some. Are you currently tapering again? Just wanted to check in with you.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Andy. How is the dizziness? Hope it's abated some. Are you currently tapering again? Just wanted to check in with you.

Thanks, Bromor!  I have to make a true confession that might get my "moderator license" revoked!

I started what I THOUGHT was my reduction last Monday.  I took a combo of pill and liquid for 5 days.  In the middle of the night Friday I had some unease when I realized something was wrong.  It struck me that I had been making a liquid using a 1:1 ratio of liquid ml to mg when the ratio is really 1:2, i.e., I was using 32.5mg instead of 22.5mg for 5 days.  I decided to the next (Saturday) to drop back down to 25mg for as long as it takes to stabilize and then start my PROPER reduction. 

Since I passed the 4 days it takes for the meds to take hold in the body, I am definitely feeling the drop from 32.5 to 25.  I figure it will be a struggle for a couple more days but I'm hoping that's all it will be.  I was NOT going to taper from 32.5 for this small mistake.  I really don't believe this will be a longer term problem. At least I hope not.

So, long story short, it's probably not the best time to be asking about my symptoms!

Hope you are doing well.

Best,

Andy

Hi Andy-- sorry to hear about the mishap with the dosing.  Luckily you caught it pretty quickly.  It shouldn't cause trouble for too long, so there is no need to taper from the 32.5.  Taking it in a couple of steps like you're doing should work fine.

Don't  worry you won't loose your license, but we will be giggling behind your back. LOL  Hey guys, did you hear what Andy did? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey guys, did you hear what Andy did? 

You are merciless, Tom!

I knew it.  :(

LOL,

Andy