Chantingjo: Not sure what to do

Chantingjo

Hi all
Some of you might remember me from paxil progress. I have not been on these sites for a while. I was doing a very slow taper from paxil over three years and it was quite hard. I had been on the drug ten years and tried to come off too fast and had terrible withdrawals.
I got down to 2.8mg and i had to come off the drug very quickly in december as i became pregnant. So i went to 2mg for 2 weeks then 1mg for 2 weeks and then completely off. Unfortunately i had a miscarriage early jan which was very traumatic. Then my grandma died in Feb. At the moment i feel really anxious and low. I dont know how much of this is withdrawal and how much due to these two difficult events. I just dont know what to do. Like feels really hard at the moment. Should i ride it out? Have others dropped as quickly as me at low doses?
Jo

Edited by scallywag
tags added

Was on Paxil from about 2001 to 2011. Then started a three year taper of 10% every 4 weeks. Went down to 5% drops between 7mg and 5mg as it got tough. Then back to 10% drops and few withdrawal effects below 5mg. At 2.8mg went to 2mg for 2 weeks with no side effects, then 1mg for 2 weeks with no side effects and then off. Last date was 29 December 2014. Reinstated 1mg on 13th march

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Chantingjo

• brassmonkey

• Fresh

• AmyK

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Chantingjo, hello.

welcome to SA. i'm glad you've found the site.

when you have a moment, please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature.  putting a short version of your drug and tapering history in your signature helps people understand your context, it appears below each of your posts.  here are instructions for how to do it:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/893-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

as you indicated, you know you tapered too quickly in december. it is understandable why you were compelled to do so. what an intense series of events you've experienced in 3 months or so. i am so sorry you experienced these things. due to so many turbulent events including your fast taper, it is easy to see why it would be difficult to discern what aspects of your anxiety and lowness are due to the withdrawal, and which are due to your natural human responses to major life events of a traumatic nature. could you perhaps expand on the intensity of your anxiety and low feelings? are they of a tolerable level? are you using any supplements? also, by filling out your signature, it will be helpful to know when your last dose of paxil was taken.

reinstatement of a small amount of the drug can often work to alleviate withdrawal symptoms, however the more time that passes, the less likely it is to work.  here is some information about reinstatement:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-stop-withdrawal-symptoms/

please feel free to write whenever you want, you will find a lot of friendly help and support here.

you can use this thread as your ongoing journal to track progress, write about symptoms, ask questions and communicate with the community, add to it whenever you want. i've modified the title of your thread to make it more easily identifiable to the community.

hang in there,

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

Thanks for your reply. It is much appreciated. I have updated my signature from what I remember but unfortunately I lost it when pp went down.

I have of course felt very sad after what has happened but it is the constant racing negative thoughts I can't cope with. I am also having suicidal thoughts (I would never act on them but they are distressing). I have painful tmj. I feel so tired and in a fog. I am also getting these twinges almost like I black out for a moment and the extremely powerful and painful emotions over absolutely nothing! The symptoms are like what I had during withdrawal. My therapist says it won't be withdrawal now. I don't know. It does seem a bit unbelievable that small amounts of the drug could cause this.

Today I just feel awful. I had a stressful day at work and don't react well to stress at the moment. Most days I can cope but I am just surviving. Not enjoying life much. I am able to do everything I need to do just worry what if it is not the drugs and what if this is me! But I was never like this before Paxil though. I just feel in a complete cloud of anxiety. Unable to relax or be myself with people. Just want it to go! Then I try things to feel better and get a bit manic with that. You would think I would have learnt after three years of tapering.

I thought the htp was working for a bit but now not sure

Utterly few up. Considering a different Ssri to help me through

Was on Paxil from about 2001 to 2011. Then started a three year taper of 10% every 4 weeks. Went down to 5% drops between 7mg and 5mg as it got tough. Then back to 10% drops and few withdrawal effects below 5mg. At 2.8mg went to 2mg for 2 weeks with no side effects, then 1mg for 2 weeks with no side effects and then off. Last date was 29 December 2014. Reinstated 1mg on 13th march

Hi Jo--  I'm so glad you could join us, but I wish it was under better circumstances.  I am so sorry to hear about the events of the past months, totally heart breaking, then throw the early jump on top of it all and I can see why you're having such problems.  I have come to find out that 3mg and below can be a really rough area to get through.  I'm having "a lot of fun" myself.  I wouldn't try something else it would just cause even more problems.  The mods here are real pros about reinstatement and have a ton of helpful information.  They will probably suggest trying just a little sliver of paxil, like 0.5mg for a few days to see if it takes the edge of, but I will let them give you the full story.  The things you describe really sound like WD to me, I've been getting most of them lately.  Just keep calm and don't let them freak you out, it's nothing you haven't been through before and made it past.  Oh yes, go to the sporting goods store and get a footballers mouth guard, cheapest they have.  They are easy to fit yourself and will really help the TMJ if you sleep with it.  I've used one for years.  Hope you're felling better tomorrow.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Oh Jo, happy to see you here! I am so sorry for what you have been going thru. It is totally understandable that you feel anxious and low. Many hugs to you! Also, it sounds much like wd to me. Maybe a combination of stress, anxiety and wd?

I can't give you advice whether reinstate or not, others will surely reply to your post. But as they say here at SA, the small doses can be difficult.

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Hi Jo,

You are describing wdl it was like that for me too.

I reckon you have done the best effort at tapering that could be done and you should ride this out.

It will recede in time but you will have to be patient and just 'aff' as Tom says in the meantime.

Glad  you joined sa i am a pp refuge too. Sorry to hear of the sad events.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

• Administrator

Welcome, Chanting.

As ten said, sometimes when one comes off a drug too quickly, reinstatement of a very low amount can relieve withdrawal symptoms. It does sound like you have withdrawal symptoms, with the TMJ and surges of emotion.

Paxil is a bear to come off, sometimes substituting a very small amount of Prozac (fluoxetine) will work to fill the gap. In your case, perhaps 1mg to start?

You can make a liquid from fluoxetine, see Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

If you prefer to go back to the devil you know and reinstate 1mg Paxil: Tips for tapering off Paxil (paroxetine)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

thanks all :)

Hello fellow PP'ers wonderful to see you on here, although wish it was in better circumstances. amy, I think you are right, this is a combination of things,  and yes tom I need not to panic!  (how I miss your fab advice and calming nature!)

thanks altostra and ten for the very sound advice.  I feel better already knowing there are much capable moderators.  altostrata, I think I would prefer to go 1mg paxil than Prozac.  would the 1mg Prozac be with a view to increasing this after a bit? that approach does also sound tempting

also, nz you suggested riding it out. what do others think? 

PS I prefer this site to PP.  I instantly feel more positive here than I did at the other site.  not sure why that is.  the page colours seem more positive and everything!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Chant!

I think Alto is on it.  You have suffered greatly since your quick taper off, and it seems least harmful to be gentle with yourself.

Allow yourself a tiny amount of Paxil (since you prefer that to prozac), and stay there for awhile.  It's still soon enough from your taper that it might help take the edge off of your pain, and help you stabilise enough so that you can address your grieving.

It probably won't be enough to numb you out, just enough to help regulate your bouncing brain.  There's no guarantee it will work, but you can try it, and if after a week or two, it doesn't work we will need a new plan, whether it is further reinstatement or just holding some more.

In the meantime, please make sure you're getting enough magnesium and fish oil:

Magnesium

Omega-3 fish oil

So how are your symptoms at the moment?  Is it better or worse at certain times of the day?  Are you sleeping at night?  Enough? Do you have fear and anxiety? Or depression and fatigue?  

Welcome to SA!  I have no idea what the other site was like, but we do try to keep it positive in here!   :) 

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thanks so much jan. The moderators here are so good. Am really impressed.

I am feeling very anxious at the moment. It is getting worse. One thing is that i started 5htp a few days ago. Could that be making it worse? I seem to feel it all day at the mo. It is a real struggle to be at work

Ps it is mainly fear. Feel terrified of everything. Sleep is not good but i managed 5 hours last night. I am also managing to eat which is good

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello Chantingjo and welcome from me too.

I'm really sorry for everything you've been through lately and about the way you are feeling now. I sympathise a lot especially since I'm (again) struggling to work through intense anxiety. 

Regarding 5htp we see people with sensitised brains like ours are in withdrawal having a bad reaction to it so I would try stopping it. Especially since it seems to be closely linked to worsening of your symptoms. We have a thread on it here with people's experiences if you feel like having a look.http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/656-5-htp-5-hydroxytryptophan-and-tryptophan/

It's noot good to take 5htp with an AD so since you are considering reinstatement, it would really be good to stop 5 htp first.

People have also had mixed reactions to theanine: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1032-l-theanine-for-anxiety-insomnia/In withdrawal we become extra sensitive to everything: not only drugs but supplements and even food. That's why we recommend only omega 3 and magnesium. 

If I can share some of my experience about reinstating to stop withdrawal symptoms to help you make your own decision I would say that it was a very good experience for me. Long before I came here I had no idea about tapering or CT and I tried to ride it out. Unfortunately it only resulted in the worst anxiety and suffering ever. My experience was that once the anxiety started it would only get worse to the point where it would become excruciating and I would go back on drugs.

1 mg is a tiny dose but we see that they reduce withdrawal suffering greately. It makes sense when knowing how powerful these drugs are at low doses. 

All the best and keep us posted.

Bubble

Current: 9/2022 Xanax 0.08, Lexapro 2

2020 Xanax 0.26 (down from 2 mg in 2013), Lexapro 2.85 mg (down from 5 mg 2013)

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
1999. - present Xanax prn up to 3 mg.
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
went from 2.5 to zero on 7 Aug 2013, bad crash 40 days after
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

Supplements: Omega 3 + Vit E, Vit C, D, magnesium, Taurine, probiotic 

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Chantingjo ,  welcome.    There's a thread about pp , perhaps in off-topic?    You may find some old friends there.

I tried riding it out after an almost 12 month taper.    It got very bad after about the 6 month mark from my last dose.    I lasted another 5 months , and then was helped by reinstating.    I wish I had thought that it was an option earlier.

Best wishes ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Thanks for the advice. If i do go back to 1mg, how long should i stay there?

• Moderator Emeritus

If things get worse within 24-48 hors , probably best to stop it.     I would reasses after a week or so , and if you've had significant relief then you'd want to stay there for at least a month before starting to taper.  Maybe longer , just depends how you go.

Hopefully you'll be able to stay well enough to keep working , and then you can taper as slow as you need.

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Ps am typing really quick at work! Sorry you are too struggling bubble! Think i will stick witj magnesium and fish oil. This anxiety feels realy intense and very chemical like. I also keep feeling very hot. Maybe not a good sign?

• Moderator Emeritus

Jo, hey.

multitasking work and S.A.? what the heck?!? me too :D

i am so glad you feel warmly welcomed here (you are) and that you are now equipped with some options. whether you decide to reinstate a small dose or not, we'll be here to check in and listen to how things go for you.

hang in there!

dave

1996 - .5mg Ativan as needed, 7.5mg Remeron daily2008 - .5mg Xanax, Ativan discontinued, Remeron continued2012 - .5mg Xanax, .25mg Ativan 3x daily, Remeron continued2/2012 - Jumped from Remeron, continued .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily4/2012 - Began rapid taper of .5mg Xanax .25mg Ativan 3x daily6/2012 - Jumped from Xanax and Ativan, voluntary hospitalization followed7/2012 - 2nd voluntary hospitalization, reinstated Remeron, bumped to 30mg, also given risperidone.8/2012 - discontinued risperidone, tried gabapentin, dicontinued gabapentin, Remeron 30mg continued10/2012 to current - tapered Remeron 10% every 4 to 6 weeks (sometimes more time) using liquid compound12/2014 - 2mg Remeron 1/16/2015 - 1.9mg Remeron 8/1/2015 -1.6mg Remeron - 03/1/2016 - 1.5mg Remeron - 1/2/2017 1.3mg - 5/7/2017 1.2mg - 5/13/2017 - syringe size change - 6/8/2017 - 1.1mg - 7/10/2017 - 1mg - 9/1/2017 - 0.9mg - 10/22/2017 - 0.8mg - 11/22/2017 - 0.7mg - 2/2/2018 - 0.6mg - 3/13/2018 - new compound pharmacy - 5/20/2018 - 0.5mg - 8/31/2018 - 0.4mg - 11/16/2018 - 0.3mg - 12/24/2018 - 0.2mg - 4/1/2019 - 0.1mg - 5/1/2019 - .05mg - 0mg achieved 2019-06-15. 🤞

• Moderator Emeritus

No problem ;) Try not to worry about individual symptoms (a lot easier said than done. I freaked out over a noise in my ear as a new symptom so I can imagine how you are feeling). But it's just a part of the package.

IIf I were you, I would gradually discontinue the 5-HTP. Reinstating is best not to be delayed but 5 htp also needs to be gradually discontinued. I don't really now how gradually so will have to consult on that. 

Now I find it strange when I see that I was at the same time thinking of reinstating and tapering again. But it happens ;) Now my primary goal is to feel stable. Fresh gave you some time frames but it's best to travel without a clock: you will feel when you are stable enough and ready to taper. Stability is so important and healing that it's best to give it to ourselves as much as we can and not follow any external time frames but rather tune in with out brain.

But we'll cross that bridge when we get there ;)

PS I'm also at work but taking occasional "breaks". I call this survival strategy sick leave at work...

Amitriptyline (tricyclic AD) and clonazepam for 3 months to treat headache in 1996 
2000-2005 Prozac CT twice, 2005-2010 Zoloft CT 3 times, 2010-2013 Escitalopram 10 mg
reinstated to 5 mg Escitalopram 4Oct 2013 and holding liquid Xanax every 5 hours
28 Jan 2014 Xanax 1.9, 18 Apr  2015 1 mg,  25 June 2015 Lex 4.8, 6 Aug Lexapro 4.6, 1 Jan 2016 0.64  Xanax     9 month hold

24 Sept 2016 4.5 Lex, 17 Oct 4.4 Lex (Nov 0.63 Xanax, Dec 0.625 Xanax), 1 Jan 2017 4.3 Lex, 24 Jan 4.2, 5 Feb 4.1, 24 Mar 4 mg, 10 Apr 3.9 mg, May 3.85, June 3.8, July 3.75, 22 July 3.7, 15 Aug 3.65, 17 Sept 3.6, 1 Jan 2018 3.55, 19 Jan 3.5, 16 Mar 3.4, 14 Apr 3.3, 23 May 3.2, 16 June 3.15, 15 Jul 3.1, 31 Jul 3, 21 Aug 2.9 26 Sept 2.85, 14 Nov Xan 0.61, 1 Dec 0.59, 19 Dec 0.58, 4 Jan 0.565, 6 Feb 0.55, 20 Feb 0.535, 1 Mar 0.505, 10 Mar 0.475, 14 Mar 0.45, 4 Apr 0.415, 13 Apr 0.37, 21 Apr 0.33, 29 Apr 0.29, 10 May 0.27, 17 May 0.25, 28 May 0.22, 19 June 0.22, 21 Jun updose to 0.24, 24 Jun updose to 0.26

I'm not a medical professional. Any advice I give is based on my own experience and reading. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Jo, hey.

multitasking work and S.A.? what the heck?!? me too :D

there's more of us it seems ;) I like this "multitasking" idea. Sounds so correct ;)

it is the constant racing negative thoughts I can't cope with. I am also having suicidal thoughts (I would never act on them but they are distressing).

i was the same...they come and go in waves ...scary at times eh!

I feel so tired and in a fog.

yep can relate to this alright.

I am also getting these twinges almost like I black out for a moment

Wow i have this too in fact this last week i had a really scary one in which i did black out and i normally steady myself by holding onto a chair this time i fell and cut my head just above my eyebrow as i hit a draw when falling....might post about this in my intro.

and the extremely powerful and painful emotions over absolutely nothing!

yep classic wdl

The symptoms are like what I had during withdrawal.

Getting the drug out of your system does not equate nec to the end of wdl 

My therapist says it won't be withdrawal now. I don't know.

Couldnt disagree more with the therapist of course this is wdl. 

It does seem a bit unbelievable that small amounts of the drug could cause this.

This is because small amounts of the drug are not small amounts ...we have all been scammed by drug companies wanting to make more profits so they peddle 20mg doses when in fact even 5 mg may be more than therapeutic (whatever that means.....probably..means more than capable of brainaltering and  numbing and dumbing the cns into compliance).   

Hey Jo i think it is amazing that you can go through this and still hold down a job. That is awesome.

I think taking the omega and mag. are a great idea. 

All the best with whatever decisions you make.  

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

See what I mean, these guys have some really solid advice.  I have nothing really to add except to remember your training.  You have a lot of tools at your disposal that have served you well in the past.  Hang in there and things will settle out in time.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the advice. If i do go back to 1mg, how long should i stay there?

Hi Chanting! You've gotten a lot of good advice already but I wanted to address this question specifically.

If you find that the 1 mg doesn't make you feel noticeably worse in the first couple of days, then I would suggest just hanging out with it for a couple of weeks to see if you get some mellowing of your symptoms. Keep a daily journal ranking your symptoms on a scale of 1 to 5; we think we can objectively remember how we felt, but there's something about withdrawal that seems to interfere with this, so having an objective record can be helpful.

If you find that you're doing a bit better on the 1 mg, then I would say, stay with it until you're feeling pretty stable and you've gathered all the tools and information that you need to taper. This can take weeks or months, it's variable depending on the person and the situation.

The only real expert is your own body, so listen to what it tells you, and keep your daily journal to help you keep track.

Welcome to the forum.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

hi Jo, what a trauma you have been through over the last couple of months!  Even without withdrawal you could be feeling anxious and depressed.

racing thoughts and anxiety are my nemesis too, I get intense despair on top of them too and i find that i just can't bear it - so when i have been in that situation i have always either updosed or reinstated very quickly - and probably by too much.  I have usually followed my intuition on this and i have fortunately managed to settle after a few weeks.

I would reiterate the advice given regarding Mg and omega 3 - powerful stuff! and i would add meditation and exercise if you can - both natural anxiolytics. 

sending love and gentle thoughts

Started in 2000 - On 150mg most of the time, (but up to 225mg at highest dose for 6 months in the beginning)
Reduced off easily first time - but got depressed (not too much anxiety) 6 months later
Back on effexor for another 9 months.
Reduced off again with no immediate w/d - suddenly got depressed and anxious ++ again 3 or 4 months later.
Back on effexor - this time for 3 years
Reduced off over a month - 6 weeks later terrible anxiety - back on.
Rinse and repeat 4 more times - each time the period before the anxiety comes back got shorter and shorter
Jan - July 2012 75mg down to 37.5mg;, 8/3/12 - 35mg. 8/25/12 - 32mg. 9/11- 28mg, 10/2 - 25mg, 10/29 - 22mg, 11/19 - 19.8mg; 12/11 - 17m,
1/1- 15.5mg; 1/22 -14mg, 2/7 14.9mg, 2/18 - 17.8mg - crashed big time: back to 75mg where i sat for 2 years....

4th  March 2015 - 67.5mg;   31st March - 60mg;  24th April - 53mg; 13th May - 48mg; 26th May - 45mg;  9th June - 41mg; 1 July- 37.5mg; 20 July - 34mg; 11 August - 31mg; 1st Sept - 28mg;  1st Dec - 25.8mg;  28th Dec - 23.2mg; 23rd Jan-21.9mg; Feb 7th- 21mg; March 1st - 20.1mg, March 30th - 18mg

• Administrator

Well said, Fresh! Thanks to everyone chiming in so harmoniously here.

Jo, reinstating 1mg Paxil (or Prozac) may be all you need. You might stabilize there for a good while, probably months, and then very, very gradually sneak off, re-doing the very last leg of your taper.

Please read the link ten gave you about reinstating.

PS About the 5-htp -- yes, it can cause overstimulation. If you've been taking it only a few days, you can quit it.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Wow thanks everyone for the wonderful advice. I appreciate it so much. I am so glad I came here. Makes me realise I am actually being really strong the way I am dealing with all this whereas in my day to day life I feel weak sometimes that this anxiety dominates me so much.

My body feels completely tense all the time and my neck hurts as a result. I don't remember having that previously. I also have the early morning dreads. I am actually concerned that the high cortisol from withdrawal could have contributed to my miscarriage. I really hope not but I was so anxious and tense in my pregnancy. No doubt caused by withdrawal. I have just turned 40 so am concerned about my ability to get pregnant again but right now I need to focus on feeling better I know that. I am trying not to feel bitter about these drugs but they have robbed me of my quality of life for the last 3.5 years. It could have been much worse I suppose. I mean I have been able to work and go out and stuff but I just haven't enjoyed a lot of it very much. Although I do have windows of feeling good and during that time I ALWAYS think this is over and I am going to be ok. Until the next time. It is exhausting. But this whole experience is making me so much stronger I know it deep down.

It is such a relief talking about all this. Most people do not believe this is withdrawal. Actually my husband does believe this is withdrawal but I think he thinks I dwell on it too much and that doesn't help me. He does tell me I have done really well though. I find myself trying to get his approval sometimes which is not the normal me but I feel so guilty that I am often low and anxious that other times I try to over compensate and not assert myself. Does anyone else get that?

I thought I would wait a day or so to reinstate Paxil. I want my nervous system to calm down a bit from this 5htp over stimulation before I add this back in. What do people think? Also what exactly happens to the nervous system during withdrawal? Can anyone tell me?

Jo

Ps I also have the hypnic jerks. when going off to sleep my whole body will jerk awake. It is like a jolt in the brain and body. So I know this is withdrawal as to had this terribly when I did a 3 month taper off 20mg some years ago. That time they would wake me up every few minutes through the night. Luckily they are not that bad now. Anyone know what causes these?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi  Jo ,  in the Symptoms and Self Care section , there's a thread called What Is Withdrawal - it may answer some of your questions.

I experienced the same kind of relief you describe after finding this site.   All of a sudden , it wasn't "just me".   

I think the jerks are called myoclonic jerks , you can do a search on the home page to find information.    Alto has explained it somewhere here , but I'm not sure where exactly.

:)

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

March 2016 , 21mg

• Administrator

Those are fairly typical withdrawal symptoms, Jo. They will change and mutate over time.

A tiny bit of reinstatement may help.

Thanks astra and fresh

It is confusing cos everyone around me thinks i should not reinstate and it is not the drugs. When i feel like this i lose confidence in myself and just am so influenced by others. And part of me worries this is the real me aggghh

• Moderator Emeritus

Jo, hey.

Do not lose confidence in yourself. It would be a wasted endeavor in my opinion. Things are going to come around for you.

I would be highly doubtful that the intensity you feel is the "real you." It has been my experience that the relative peace, stability and assuredness that comes in windows is representative of what the "real you" will resemble when your brain has healed. I've seen this in others as well as myself.

You are not your symptoms!

Hang in there!

Dave

I agree with Ten. Wd lies.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Thanks dave and amy

And what kind of taper schedule should i follow from 1mg?

How did you taper before?

10% at the end but was thinking below 1mg it would be ok to go with 0.2mg reductions? Anyway will cross that bridge when i come to it. In the meantime 1mg is 0.5ml right?? My brain wont work!

Jo, I dont know how to advice, I wonder my self.

About ml and mg I am also a big question mark. Someone else will answer, I hope.

How do you feel today? Do you mostly have psychological symtoms?

• Moderator Emeritus

Now it's most important to take as much time as you need to stabilise, that is feel as sturdy as you can.

How are you preparing your liquid suspension, that is how many mgs do you suspend in how many mls?

I go for 1:1 ratio since it's the easiest. So if I have a 10 mg pill I put it in 10 ml of water and draw out 1 ml to get 1 mg. But then you would have to throw away a lot...

Or do you have liquid Lexapro?