MarkNth: Hello from Pennsylvania!

MarkNth

Hello,

My name is Mark and I am so happy to have found this site. I've been lurking about for a while and decided it was time to join.

I have been on Prozac and/or Celexa since 1993. There were a mix of others such a Remeron which I had to quit or it was going to kill me. I have tried cold turkey from Prozac once and that was quite enough.

This December (2015) I decide to start a taper from Celexa 40mg. I did this by 5mg increments. I made it to 20mg and had to go back up to 30 mg which is where I am now. Other than anxiety (with a constant state of fearfulness over ridiculous things) and digestive issues I am doing fairly well. I have been at this dose for 5 weeks and feel it is time to try again.

I am not happy about continuing and am quite scared. I am a 52 year old male who has been through a lot in life and thought this would be a cake walk. OOOOPS!

I am scared, but, have hope. Reading the forums has helped me tremendously.

Thank you to all who post here. I wish you all the very best.

1978 (15 years old) started various types of benzos for anxiety off and on.

1993 HIV diagnosis started Prozac 40mg and Klonopin 1mg 2x daily

1993 Depakote, Doxipin, Neurontin and others I forget. Stopped them all later in 1993, but, stayed on Proxac and Klonpin.

1994 tapered Klonopin down to .05mg 2x daily and finally to .05mg once daily.

2000 Proxac reduced to 20mg and 20mg Celexa added.

2006 dropped Prozac and upped Celexa to 40mg and increased Klonopin to .05mg twice daily.

2103 Ambien 10mg. Decreased to 5mg. Quit CT after a few months.

2014 increased Klonopin to .05mg 1 1/2 mg bedtime after a heart attack

December 2015 started slow taper from Celexa. 5mg every month. Got down to 20mg and had to go back up to 30 mg because of withdrawal. Still have withdrawal which is mainly anxiety and lack of appetite. Staying where I am until withdrawal subsides.

Tried Lexapro for three days and had to stop. Am now on Zoloft 50mg. Ativan PRN added to Klonopin because my attacks have been so bad on Zoloft.

"Know Thyself."

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mark.  Welcome to SA! So glad you decided to join in.  I'm pretty sure you will be too.

Thank you for creating a signature.  It's very helpful to the moderators and people commenting to have your medication history right on hand, especially as your thread gets longer.  So this here is your personal thread where you will tell your story and ask questions pertaining to you, and where moderators and members will respond and comment.  Its like an interactive journal.

A moderator should be a long in short order to welcome you.  I'm just a member, but I'll at least get things started.  The general rule of thumb advocated by this site is to make reductions of 10% of whatever the current dose is every 4-6 weeks.  Of course people are different.  Some people may hold for longer between reductions or may make smaller reductions, OR hold longer and make smaller reductions :-).  

Withdrawal from these meds can be scary.  I know it scares me sometimes too.  It doesn't help that our own brain seems to turn on us and cause things like the anxiety and fearfulness you've experienced. The symptoms you describe, including the GI issues, are VERY common.  I'm glad to read that you have hope.  You should!  You may find this hope challenged sometimes (seriously, our brains can become huge jerks during this), but you'll find a lot of support here.  

If you haven't already read them, here are a few threads that might be good to get started on:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/300-important-topics-in-the-tapering-forum-and-faq/

Again, welcome.

1988-2012: Prozac @ 60mg (with a few stops and starts)

Fall 2012: Returned to 40mg after discontinuing and horrid withdrawal 

Fall 2013: 40mg Fluoxetine, added 150mg Wellbutrin to treat fatigue 

Winter 2014: Attempting to taper both (too fast)

April 2014: 9mg Fluoxetine + 37.5 Wellbutrin 

Summer 2014: 8 mg Fluoxetine + 0 Wellbutrin (way too fast a drop)

Late summer/Early Fall 2014: Debilitating Withdrawal symptoms 

Fall 2014 - Wellbutrin successfully kicked to the curb but…

Oct- Dec 2014: Panicked reinstatement of Fluoxetine ->30mg - held for 5yrs

Jan 2021: taper to 20mg Fluoxetine  then tapering by 1mg every 2-3 months

Fall 2022 - held at 10mg->December 2022: 9mg->Feb 2023: 8mg ->March 2023: brassmonkey slide begins: 7.8mg -> 7.6 -> 7.4->2 week hold (April)->7.2->7mg->6.8->2 week hold->6.6-> 1-month hold ->(June)-6.5->4-week hold-> (July)-6.4 (discontinued brassmonkey slide and slowed taper)-> (Aug)-6.2->(Sept)-6.0->(Oct)-5.9->(Nov)-5.8->(Dec)-5.7->wave!->(Jan)-5.8->(Feb)-6mg and holding.

My 2014 withdrawal experience: https://rxisk.org/antidepressant-withdrawal-a-prozac-story/

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome Mark,

I'm glad you decided to join and post an introduction. Thank you for filling in your signature. I'm sorry to hear you have been having some problems tapering down off Celexa, but I think it may be because you are trying to do it too fast. A slow taper will not only minimize withdrawal symptoms, it will give you the best chance at getting through the post-withdrawal year or two without having to go back on the drug.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please see:   Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

If you are still having symptoms after cutting your dose too fast and then updosing, its probably better to wait before resuming your taper. If you are still having symptoms, cutting again too fast will most likely make them even worse. Once the nervous system becomes destabilized it can often take quite a while to settle down again. You have been on these kinds of drugs for a long time, so you can't realistically expect to come off them in a few months. This is what I thought and 'tapered' off lexapro over 2 months, thinking I was doing it right. But I'm still in protracted withdrawal several years later.

• After reinstatement, (or updosing) the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.
  • Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.
  • Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Are you still taking 1.5mg Klonopin at bedtime?

Addax was typing a response at the same time I was, so I may have repeated some of what she wrote.  Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide, of course you are free to make your own decisions and we will be here for you either way.

Petunia.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Addax,

Thank you!

Scary, indeed. I feel I am becoming slightly agoraphobic again. Just completed a 30 day meditation program and will be continuing. I think it is also time to go back to my Cognitive Behavioral Therapist also.

I am lucky to have a very accepting and understanding family and to be on this forum.

1993 Depakote, Doxipin, Neurontin and others I forget. Stopped them all later in 1993, but, stayed on Proxac and Klonpin.

2006 dropped Prozac and upped Celexa to 40mg and increased Klonopin to .05mg twice daily.

December 2015 started slow taper from Celexa. 5mg every month. Got down to 20mg and had to go back up to 30 mg because of withdrawal. Still have withdrawal which is mainly anxiety and lack of appetite. Staying where I am until withdrawal subsides.

Tried Lexapro for three days and had to stop. Am now on Zoloft 50mg. Ativan PRN added to Klonopin because my attacks have been so bad on Zoloft.

"Know Thyself."

Welcome Mark,

I'm glad you decided to join and post an introduction. Thank you for filling in your signature. I'm sorry to hear you have been having some problems tapering down off Celexa, but I think it may be because you are trying to do it too fast. A slow taper will not only minimize withdrawal symptoms, it will give you the best chance at getting through the post-withdrawal year or two without having to go back on the drug.

We suggest reducing by no more than 10% of the current dose every 4 weeks, this reduces the risk of withdrawal symptoms arising. Please read through this which will explain why:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Please see:   Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

If you are still having symptoms after cutting your dose too fast and then updosing, its probably better to wait before resuming your taper. If you are still having symptoms, cutting again too fast will most likely make them even worse. Once the nervous system becomes destabilized it can often take quite a while to settle down again. You have been on these kinds of drugs for a long time, so you can't realistically expect to come off them in a few months. This is what I thought and 'tapered' off lexapro over 2 months, thinking I was doing it right. But I'm still in protracted withdrawal several years later.

• After reinstatement, (or updosing) the amount of time needed to alleviate withdrawal symptoms (stabilizing) varies according to the individual. Relief can be felt immediately, after some weeks, or after some months.
  • Once you feel withdrawal symptoms are reduced after reinstatement, give your nervous system time to stabilize before attempting dosage reduction. Think in terms of months, not days.
  • Be patient after you reinstate. Reinstatement may not immediately eliminate all withdrawal symptoms. You may still experience waves of symptoms, which usually lessen as time goes on.

About reinstating and stabilizing to stop withdrawal symptoms

Are you still taking 1.5mg Klonopin at bedtime?

Addax was typing a response at the same time I was, so I may have repeated some of what she wrote.  Please stay in touch and let us know what you decide, of course you are free to make your own decisions and we will be here for you either way.

Petunia.

Thank you, Petunia.

I actually typed a whole reply and it disappeared when I hit something on my keyboard :-(

Here goes again - I am still on 1 1/2mg Klonopin daily. I decided to start .05mg in the morning to help get me through the day and take the other 1mg at bedtime. I felt a bit more calm, but, sleepy.

I am also on a HIV drug (Norvir) which increases the amount of Celexa in the body so I am being impatient about tapering. My total decrease has only been 10mg Celexa in 5 months.

I want to make sure I understand what you are stating - Do you think I should wait for my next taper?

Believe me - I'm all "ears"! This is some scary stuff.

Note: I was never put on anti-depressants for depression. Yes I have been "clinically depressed", but, it was always due to exhaustion from anxiety, panic and agoraphobia.

I have battled with anxiety all of my life. It was the HIV diagnosis that set me into the whirlwind of anti-depressants. I fought the doctors for a full week when I was hospitalized for suicidal thoughts in 1993 until they CONvinced me they were non-addictive.

Thanks again!

"Know Thyself."

• Moderator Emeritus
 My total decrease has only been 10mg Celexa in 5 months.

I want to make sure I understand what you are stating - Do you think I should wait for my next taper?

Yes, this is what I'm suggesting. Its true that in total your decrease has only been 10mg, but in that time you came down too fast, evidenced by the fact that you experienced withdrawal symptoms, then you went back up again, probably more than necessary, so now you are not only experiencing withdrawal, but increased sensitivity from destabilization caused by too many big changes.

Please carefully read through the links I posted, they will help you understand what's going on.  Also this link has more good information:

The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Other than anxiety (with a constant state of fearfulness over ridiculous things) and digestive issues I am doing fairly well. I have been at this dose for 5 weeks and feel it is time to try again.

Anxiety, constant fearfulness and GI issues are signs that you are not yet stable enough to continue tapering. People who learn to listen to their body and symptoms, and use this as a guide for making cuts, tend to do better, and have a slightly easier time than others who strictly follow a calender schedule. If you do decide to go ahead and make a dose reduction, please only go down by 10% this time, maybe even 5%, then see how you feel. The slower you go, the less likely you are to experience withdrawal symptoms and the more likely it is you will be successful and wont need to go back on the drug.

I also went on antidepressants for anxiety (not depression), but the levels of anxiety I've experienced in protracted withdrawal have been completely off the scale compared with anything I experienced before. But I found this site too late to do anything about it, its not too late for you to slow down and taper safely.

The interaction you are concerned about is listed as a minor one according to drugs.com

Interactions between your selected drugs

interaction-1-big.png

ritonavir ↔ citalopram

Applies to: Norvir (ritonavir), Celexa (citalopram)

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.

http://www.drugs.com/interactions-check.php?drug_list=679-335,2021-1306

Although rxlist.com lists this interaction as having a significant risk of causing abnormal heart beats, which may need monitoring by you doctor.

http://www.rxlist.com/drug-interactions/citalopram-oral-and-ritonavir-oral-interaction.htm

If it were me, I would be more concerned about withdrawal from tapering too fast.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Petunia,

Thanks! I will give it more time :-)

Mark

"Know Thyself."

Last night I accidentally took 40 mg of Celexa instead of the 30mg I weaned down to. It was a horrible day!

I'm hoping that returning to the 30mg tonight is not going to be a problem. I know the half-life for Celexa is long. Not sure if I should just skip a day or take the 30mg.

Thanks everyone :-)

"Know Thyself."

Hey MarkNth, It is not recommended to skip doses because it can cause destabilization of the ns.

Celexa 20mg 2008-2012 for Social Anxiety

Failed attempt to stop reinstated

1 year taper skipping doses

Celexa free 12/2013

1/2014-5/2014 took 5 htp every other day

Failed Reinstatement 5mg of Celexa on 12/2014 for 5 days only

Hey MarkNth, It is not recommended to skip doses because it can cause destabilization of the ns.

Thank you. I thought that was probably the case. I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow. I can't believe 10mg extra messed me up so badly!

"Know Thyself."

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you. I thought that was probably the case. I'm hoping to feel better tomorrow. I can't believe 10mg extra messed me up so badly!

Hi Mark,   These are powerful drugs.   Don't skip the dose, that's just throwing fuel into the fire.  

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi Mark,   These are powerful drugs.   Don't skip the dose, that's just throwing fuel into the fire.  

Dalsaan

Dalsaan,

Thank you. I have my 30mg sitting here. Today I felt so badly I wasn't sure what to do or if I would still feel awful tomorrow. Doing alright at the moment and made plans to just hang out tomorrow :-)

"Know Thyself."

• Moderator Emeritus

My best advice is to be gently on yourself, keep everything consistent from here on and give your system a chance to stabalise.

There is plenty of support and encouragement for you here

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

Hi MarkNth

Just thought I'd pop by and say hello. I have been reading your thread and see that we are going through a very similar experience with Celexa/Citalopram.

I was prescribed Cit many years ago for anxiety. Started off at 20mgs and eventually got up to 40mgs.Tried to come off too quickly as per my Dr! Got down to 10mgs in 6 weeks. Terrible withdrawal hit and I ended up updosing to 30mgs in Dec 2014. Am just waiting to stabilise so I can start a slow taper. I am still getting anxiety which triggers off a lot of other symptoms. Thank God I found this site which has given me so much support and guidance.

I see you are doing meditation and hope this helps you along the way.

I do hope you feel better tomorrow.

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

Hi MarkNth

Just thought I'd pop by and say hello. I have been reading your thread and see that we are going through a very similar experience with Celexa/Citalopram.

I was prescribed Cit many years ago for anxiety. Started off at 20mgs and eventually got up to 40mgs.Tried to come off too quickly as per my Dr! Got down to 10mgs in 6 weeks. Terrible withdrawal hit and I ended up updosing to 30mgs in Dec 2014. Am just waiting to stabilise so I can start a slow taper. I am still getting anxiety which triggers off a lot of other symptoms. Thank God I found this site which has given me so much support and guidance.

I see you are doing meditation and hope this helps you along the way.

I do hope you feel better tomorrow.

Flowers xxx

Flowers,

Thanks for being in touch :-)

It looks like we are both at 30mg and haven't had an easy time of it. I am convinced that we will feel better and get back to ourselves. That is my goal and I'm sure it's yours.

I so want to participate more on the forums, but, have not been able to sit and do so YET. I did have a better day today. I had to go to the dentist. Going out is hard enough, but, the dentist!!!???  LOL

What do you do to help yourself? I am on day 34 of a meditation program. The first part was a foundation and the last 4 days have been, specifically, about anxiety. I'm finding it helpful.

What symptoms have you been experiencing? Some of mine have been very strange. It's so good to know I'm not going "crazy" and that I am not alone.

"Know Thyself."

Hi MarkNth!

What a shame that your outing was to the dentist!!lol!

My symptoms started off as being very severe when WD hit last December. I was totally unable to function at all. I had heart palps, shaking, muscle twitching, loss of balance, weakness in legs, nausea, extreme anxiety and depression, insomnia to name but a few!

These have eased somewhat since updosing and my symptoms are now mainly anxiety and exhaustion. The anxiety has manifested itself in not being able to bring myself to go to far away from home. I am able to go out to socialise and into town but don't want to travel far which I used to love. I overdid things physically lately and all the old symptoms came back. Now I am taking things easy, going for gentle walks and just taking each day as it comes. Not trying to put myself under pressure which is easier said than done with anxiety!!

I have started mindfulness and know I will need lots of practice but do feel it helps me relax. I will have to learn coping techniques if I am going to get off these drugs one day. It's good to read that you are doing well with meditation.

We will get better although it may be a bit of a bumpy ride on the way!! Finding this site was my saviour. I have met some wonderful people who are so kind and supportive.

I understand that participating in the forum to begin with can be very hard. There is so much to take in and we don't always feel like trying to string sentences together and post!

Just keep reading all the great info that is on here if you can. You will never be alone now - we are all going through this together.

Best Wishes

Flowers xxx

15 yrs on 20 to 30 mgs CITALOPRAM.  MAY 2014 Increased to 40 mgs per day.SEPT/NOV 2014 tapered in 6 weeks down to 10 mgs as per Dr instructions due to violent nightmares/palpitations.Given Noctamid (lormetazepam) to help with anxiety. On average took 2mg per day for 8 weeks.No taper was advised.DEC 2014 WD severe. Nervous tic in eyes and limbs, muscle pain,fluct  temp, weakness, dep and anxiety, nausea, giddy, unstable when walking. Different Dr suggested taking 20mgs CIT. BROMAZEPAM 3mgs up to 3 x daily for anxiety.DEC 9 2014 Updose CIT to 30mgs. Only taking BROMAZEPAM in emergency.DEC 31 2014 Settling at 30mg CIT - helping with depression. No Brom for 2wks.Found SA.APR 2015 Trying to stabilise on 30mgs CIT.  JAN 2016 Started Cit Taper reducing by 5% per month.  28.5 mgs 
FEB  Taper held bereavement. APR Taper resumed 27mgs . MAY 25.50 mgs .  JUNE 24 mgs .  JULY I stupidly mixed up my BP meds with CIT. Consequently took no CIT for 3 days and doubled my BP meds. Waiting for the fallout....Holding for a while until any chance of repercussions have abated. SEPT taper resumed to  22.5 mgs . OCT 21 mgs .NOV 19.95 mgs DEC crashed. 2017: FEB 3rd updose to 20.5 mgs to try to stabilise.FEB.switched over to 75mgs of Venlafaxine XR for 3 weeks.Too stimulating so switching back to Cit. 12 March 37.5 Ven and 20 Cit. 21 March 18mg Ven 20mg Cit. 4 April 9mg Ven 20mg Cit. Xanax .50mg when needed.  13 April 0 mgs Ven, 20mg Citalopram. Xanax .50 mg per day. 5 May reinstated a small amount of Ven to stabilize  1 mg twice a day. 20 mg Citalopram at night. Xanax .25 mg twice per day.Other Meds: Losartan (BP)Started 1993 at  50 mgs at night.  Seretide (Asthma) Started 1996 at 1 puff twice a day. Jan 2019 Antibiotic Ceclor 500mgs twice a day for bronchitis and  Atrovent 2ml capsules twice a day for asthma. Finished the course of both Jan 17. 

XANAX  Jan 27  - Feb 3 2019 Failed Valium Crossover.   Feb 14 2019  Updosed Xanax by .0625  Feb 17 2019 Decreased Xanax by .0625. Back to .50mg daily.  Update Xanax 28.2.20 tapered to .1250 mg 8am .25 mg midnight. Update Xanax 11.8.21 tapered to .25 mg at night. 

Current Meds 28.2.19: CITALOPRAM  20mg  taken at midnight. VENLAFAXINE  .9 mg twice a day at 8am and 10pm.  XANAX .50 mg split into 4 doses per day. 10am .0625mg / 2pm .1250mg/ 6pm .0625mg / midnight .25mg.Update 10.8.22 .25 mg at night.  LOSARTAN 50 mgs taken at midnight.  SERETIDE 1 puff taken at 8am and 10pm.   7.7.19 VENLAFAXINE UPDATE: Started tapering 10% every 4 weeks. Currently .4 mg twice a day at 8am and 10 pm.  2.9.19 .36 mg x 2. 1.10.19  .32 mg x 2. 26.11.19 .29 mg x2. 26.12.19 .26 mg  x 2. 23.1.20  .23 mg x 2.  20.2.20 .21 mg x2.20.3.20  .19 mg x 2. 21.4.20 .17 mg x 2. 19.5.20 .13 mg x 2.  18.6.20 .11mg  x 2 .18.7.20.10 mg x 2.1.9.20.09 mg x 2. 30.9. 20 .08 mg x 2. 1.11.20 .07 mg x 2.  2.12.20 .06 mg x 2.  8.1.21 .05 mg x 2.  4.2.21 .04 mg x 2. 9.3.21 .03 mgx2.  7.4.21  .02 mg x 2.  9.5.21 .01 mg x 2.  21.6.21 .01 mg x 1.  11.8.21 ZERO!

• Mentor

Hello Mark, well done going to the dentist!

I am mostly housebound at present, I am hoping I will stabilise on the Citalopram and then can start a very, very slow taper.

I am so grateful for this site also, but alas, found it too late .............     anyhow one step at a time, at least I am off the effexor!

I am hoping I can get a life back.........    yeah I was told they were non addictive too.......   

So anyway, welcome, and be kind to yourself! x

1992 Dothiepin 375mg 8 weeks, exhaustion/depression.  Serotonin syndrome, oh yes!  seizures . Fell pregnant, 3rd baby, Nitrous Oxide, 3 weeks mental hospital pp psychosis. zoloft tegretol.

Feb 1996 ct tegretol, tapered Zoloft 8 weeks. as (unexpectedly)  pregnant. Steven died after 3 days.(Zolft HLHS baby).  98 had run in with Paxil, 2 tablets, 3 weeks taper, survived.
2005..menopause? exhausted again. Zyprexa, mad in three days, fallout....  Seroquel, Effexor, tegretol,   and 8 years of self destruction. Failed taper.
Damn 1/4 valium... nuts again! .fallout, zoloft 100mg  seroquol 400mg mirtazapine 45 mg  tegretol 400mg.  Mid 14 3 month taper. Nov 14 CRASH.
Mid 15 ....   75mg  seroquel,  3 x 1800mg SJW  2 week window end of December followed by 6 week wave
5/2 68mg seroquel, 2.5 x 1800mg SJW::::20/2 61mg seroquel, 2.5 x  SJW::: 26/2 54mg seroquel, 2 x SJW::::21/3 43mg seroquel, 1 x 2700SJW :::: 23/4 36mg seroquel 1 x 1800 SJW
15/5 33mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::   28/5 30mg seroquel, 1 x SJW::::;  18/6 25mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::::, 11/7 21mg seroquel 1/2 SJW::, 26/7 18mg seroquel 1/2 SJW:::, 9/8 12mg seroquel :::, 16/8 6mg seroquel ;;;;, 12/9 0 jump.

23/9  3mg.....,  27/9 0mg.  Reinstated, 6mg, then 12mg.............  LIGHTBULB MOMENT,  I have  MTHFR 2x mutations.  CFS and issues with MOULD in my home. So I left home, and working 150km away during week, loving it.

Oh was hard, panic attacks first week, gone now, along with the mould issues.

Hi MarkNth!

My symptoms started off as being very severe when WD hit last December. I was totally unable to function at all. I had heart palps, shaking, muscle twitching, loss of balance, weakness in legs, nausea, extreme anxiety and depression, insomnia to name but a few!

These have eased somewhat since updosing and my symptoms are now mainly anxiety and exhaustion. The anxiety has manifested itself in not being able to bring myself to go to far away from home. I am able to go out to socialise and into town but don't want to travel far which I used to love. I overdid things physically lately and all the old symptoms came back. Now I am taking things easy, going for gentle walks and just taking each day as it comes. Not trying to put myself under pressure which is easier said than done with anxiety!!

I have started mindfulness and know I will need lots of practice but do feel it helps me relax. I will have to learn coping techniques if I am going to get off these drugs one day. It's good to read that you are doing well with meditation.

We will get better although it may be a bit of a bumpy ride on the way!! Finding this site was my saviour. I have met some wonderful people who are so kind and supportive.

I understand that participating in the forum to begin with can be very hard. There is so much to take in and we don't always feel like trying to string sentences together and post!

Just keep reading all the great info that is on here if you can. You will never be alone now - we are all going through this together.

Best Wishes

Flowers xxx

Flowers,

Same here with the symptoms. I'm glad you mentioned gentle walks and physical activity. I go to the gym and work by butt off. I think I need to be more gentle.

We are already facing a freedom! Hang in there :-)

"Know Thyself."

Hello Mark, well done going to the dentist!

I am mostly housebound at present, I am hoping I will stabilise on the Citalopram and then can start a very, very slow taper.

I am so grateful for this site also, but alas, found it too late .............     anyhow one step at a time, at least I am off the effexor!

I am hoping I can get a life back.........    yeah I was told they were non addictive too.......   

So anyway, welcome, and be kind to yourself! x

Ang,

Congrats on being off Effexor. I hear that can be a rough one. You are so right, one step at a time. Sometimes I tell myself "One MOMENT at a time."

Stay in touch and let me know how you are doing :-)

"Know Thyself."

Hi MarkNth!

Best Wishes

Flowers xxx

Flowers,

Same here with the symptoms. I'm glad you mentioned gentle walks and physical activity. I go to the gym and work by butt off. I think I need to be more gentle.

MarkNth Hi!

Yes do watch the gym workouts - just listen to your body. I didn't and it set me back. Nevermind I will know in the future!

We can do this.

Flowers xxxx

Hi MarkNth!

Best Wishes

Flowers xxx

Flowers,

MarkNth Hi!

Yes do watch the gym workouts - just listen to your body. I didn't and it set me back. Nevermind I will know in the future!

We can do this.

Flowers xxxx

Flowers,

I went to the gym and took it easy. I didn't want to go. I only did 30 minutes on the treadmill. I don't know what happened with my body and mind, but, I felt like I was dying. Wow! Even the drive home (1 mile) was horrible. Going to try a nap. Hope your day is awesome! 

"Know Thyself."

How are you doing Mark?

Flowers,

Honestly - I went back to my full dose of 40mg. I have been HIV+ for 23 years and have had two heart attacks. I was not eating, couldn't get to the gym for cardio, etc. It's not something I can do right now. I am disappointed, but, feel the benefits out-way the risks right now. Going back up isn't a picnic either, but, I'm feeling better every day. How are you?

"Know Thyself."

You have been through so much and need to take extra special care of yourself as you have these other health problems.

Are you feeling better already from updosing to 40mgs? I really hope so. I noticed an immediate improvement when I updosed.

I had a great day on Saturday and felt like my old self - not been too bad since and have been a bit more interested in life in general. Also coping with any stress is getting easier.  I am encouraged that I may be slowly getting to the point where I can start tapering. I will see how the next couple of weeks go.

Hope you continue to feel better.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Best Wishes

Flowers,

I notice some improvement. My anxiety gets off the hook sometimes. I actually went to a family function yesterday WITHOUT taking Klonopin. I feel hopeful and have flashes of hope and wanting to do more. Today anxiety has been bad, but, the suicidal ideations and bizarre thoughts have stopped. Still have a low level of "fear" most of the time. Fear of what I have no idea! LOL

I would have to say, yes, there is some improvement. Tonight will be night 6 back at 40mg. I started messing with this in December so it may take a little longer. 23 years is a long time to be on this stuff.

Thanks for checking in. You hang in there to. Be in touch if you need to :-)

"Know Thyself."

Sounds like you are on the right road to recovery!

Hopefully the fear will start to fade like the suicidal thoughts etc.  I have been on and off AD's since my twenties and am now in my sixties so am in for the long haul too!!

Wishing you all the best.

Flowers,

What made you decide to come off them? Mine was that I wanted to "know myself". When I look back to pre-SSRI days I realize I was a complete mess. I have so many questions about these meds.

"Know Thyself."

Well I have to say   I had always been absolutely fine on the meds. They kept me feeling normal - off them I was a very highly strung anxious mess!

When the Dr told me to updose last year I got some really scary side effects like night terrors and heart palps. He then  told me to come off them in 6 weeks. So, unfortunately,  I had the decision to come off made for me and it was far too fast.

Once WD kicked in I started to investigate these drugs and couldn't believe what truly awful meds the Dr's are giving us. Thank God I found this site!

I now want to try and get this toxic stuff out of my body once and for all. It will be interesting and I hope liberating to find out about myself without meds. Will I still be an anxious person? I don't know - things change in our lives and I am not the person I was all those years ago when I went on the meds.

I hope if I am still prone to anxiety that the techniques I am trying to learn will help me in a more natural approach to combat it. The hell of withdrawal has made me a much stronger person so maybe that is a good thing for the future!

• 2 months later...

I tried tapering from Celexa starting last December. It has been a mess! I have been on SSRIs for 23 years. Prozac and Celexa. My doctor finally switch me from 40mg Celexa (after an unsuccessful taper and reinstatement of Celexa) to 20mg Lexapro overnight. It was three days of pure hell! and then back to 40mg Celexa. I was then cross tapered from Celexa to Zoloft.

I have been on Zoloft for 3 weeks. Stared at 25mg for one week, 50mg one week and 75mg for most of a week. I couldn't handle the 75mg and went back to 50mg last night.

My question:

If I decide to quit this crap now how does the fact I have been on SSRIs for 23 years and only being on Zoloft 3 weeks effect my tapering or would it be OK to just quit now because it's only been three weeks.

Yup! On the SSRI merry-go-round. The Zoloft is making me so anxious and I am having more panic attacks than I have had in many years.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice :-)

"Know Thyself."

• Administrator

Mark, I moved your post here as it's about your own individual tapering situation.

Being on SSRIs for 23 years can make it difficult to go off. Sometimes people on drugs for that long have to taper by very small amounts.

You've switched, more or less, from Celexa to Zoloft. You can't taper Celexa now. As you've had a rocky 6 months on these drugs, it could take you some months to stabilize, if in fact Zoloft is a good substitute for the Celexa for you. In other words, don't make any changes. See The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Conceivably, once you stabilize on the Zoloft, you can taper that. It will be the same kind of very gradual tapering. See Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

How are you feeling now, on 50mg Zoloft?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Mark, I moved your post here as it's about your own individual tapering situation.

Being on SSRIs for 23 years can make it difficult to go off. Sometimes people on drugs for that long have to taper by very small amounts.

You've switched, more or less, from Celexa to Zoloft. You can't taper Celexa now. As you've had a rocky 6 months on these drugs, it could take you some months to stabilize, if in fact Zoloft is a good substitute for the Celexa for you. In other words, don't make any changes. See The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Conceivably, once you stabilize on the Zoloft, you can taper that. It will be the same kind of very gradual tapering. See Tips for tapering off Zoloft (sertraline)

How are you feeling now, on 50mg Zoloft?

Altostrata,

I am doing horribly! I have not had this much anxiety and panic in over 12 years. It started getting much worse when I went on the Zoloft. Instead of taking 75mg last night I only took 50mg and don't want to take any tonight. I am having very strange symptoms and am pretty much non-functioning. I am calling my doctor in the morning, but, am afraid to take the Zoloft again.

Edited - I am going to ask the doctor to put me on Paxil for now.

Thank you so much for your reply.

"Know Thyself."

• Administrator

You are probably having withdrawal symptoms from Celexa. Sometimes switching to another SSRI doesn't work. You can have withdrawal syndrome from the first drug even though you're on another.

Why did your doctor switch you from Celexa to Lexapro and then Effexor? On May 11 you were reporting some improvement with the reinstatement of 40mg Celexa.

Switching yet again to Paxil is going to cause more disruption to your nervous system. It's probably more difficult to go off than Celexa.

It's highly likely your doctor knows nothing about withdrawal syndrome or tapering off psychiatric drugs. Few of them do.

Please read all the links we've given you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

You are probably having withdrawal symptoms from Celexa. Sometimes switching to another SSRI doesn't work. You can have withdrawal syndrome from the first drug even though you're on another.

Why did your doctor switch you from Celexa to Lexapro and then Effexor? On May 11 you were reporting some improvement with the reinstatement of 40mg Celexa.

Switching yet again to Paxil is going to cause more disruption to your nervous system. It's probably more difficult to go off than Celexa.

It's highly likely your doctor knows nothing about withdrawal syndrome or tapering off psychiatric drugs. Few of them do.

Please read all the links we've given you.

Altostrata,

I was feeling well as far as anxiety goes, but, was exhausted all of the time. My doctor and I decided to wean off of Celexa. It didn't go very well. Because of that we tried Lexapro which was a nightmare. That was only three days and then went back to Celexa. My anxiety and panic were coming back big time, so we tried Zoloft. I think I am having a bad reaction to it. I am a heart patient and am having slight tachycardia (105 bpm), weird muscle twitches, tingling in my head and legs, odd muscle twitching. Insane anxiety that Klonopin and Ativan aren't even working with. I'm quite frankly scared out of my mind. I don't think I am taking the Zoloft tonight with the hopes that I won't have to go through this tomorrow and can get stabalized on an SSRI then wean off. I feel that the Zoloft is harming me. BTW - Was never on Effexor nor will I go on it. LOL

"Know Thyself."

• Administrator

I'm sorry, I meant Zoloft rather than Effexor.

See What is withdrawal syndrome?  particularly the topics about withdrawal symptoms. Your symptoms sound like withdrawal symptoms.

When you go on and off drugs, your nervous system can become sensitized to all psychiatric drugs. They will not affect you in predictable ways. That is why the benzos are not helping.

It sounds like your reinstatement of Celexa was appropriate, but perhaps 40mg was too much for your sensitized system. Fatigue is a common side effect of Celexa. Because your nervous system was sensitized, the method you used for tapering Celexa was probably too fast and too soon -- before your nervous system had a chance to stabilize on the reinstatement.

When you reinstate, you have to give your nervous system a chance to adjust before making more drug changes. Drug changes stress the nervous system. Read The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Now your nervous system is even more sensitized. It's not made out of rubber.

If I were you, I'd go on 10mg Celexa as soon as possible, overlap with the Zoloft for 4 days, then drop the Zoloft. It's not going to be easy. Most likely, you will still experience The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization for a while, maybe months.

I'm sorry, I meant Zoloft rather than Effexor.

See What is withdrawal syndrome?  particularly the topics about withdrawal symptoms. Your symptoms sound like withdrawal symptoms.

When you go on and off drugs, your nervous system can become sensitized to all psychiatric drugs. They will not affect you in predictable ways. That is why the benzos are not helping.

It sounds like your reinstatement of Celexa was appropriate, but perhaps 40mg was too much for your sensitized system. Fatigue is a common side effect of Celexa. Because your nervous system was sensitized, the method you used for tapering Celexa was probably too fast and too soon -- before your nervous system had a chance to stabilize on the reinstatement.

When you reinstate, you have to give your nervous system a chance to adjust before making more drug changes. Drug changes stress the nervous system. Read The rule of 3KIS: Keep it simple. Keep it slow. Keep it stable.

Now your nervous system is even more sensitized. It's not made out of rubber.

If I were you, I'd go on 10mg Celexa as soon as possible, overlap with the Zoloft for 4 days, then drop the Zoloft. It's not going to be easy. Most likely, you will still experience The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization for a while, maybe months.

Thank you, so much. I will let you know how everything goes. I have decided to take the Zoloft tonight, but, am out of Celexa. Will talk to doctor tomorrow :-)

Hope you are well.

Mark

"Know Thyself."