hopefullearningpatience New member, confused!

hopefullearningpatience

Hello,

I am 36, female, and my story starts with Tramadol (similar to Effexor)...I took it for 2 months thinking it was just a step up from Alieve, just a pain killer. Stopped CT after taking for 2 months. Had a week of flu-like symptoms, next week nausea. But I would have really good "windows", but then the anxiety would hit out of nowhere over very small things.

So went to the doctor and was prescribed Citalopram because he thought previous anxiety had returned (which is definitely not the case!). Did not start taking the Citalopram until a month after going CT from Tramadol. The "waves" and "windows" were still happening, but after 5 weeks on Citalopram now the "windows" are not as good, but I don't have the severe anxiety attacks either...I just feel very dull. And I still have anxious repetitive thoughts. Mainly about how I now want OFF of the Citalopram.

I have taken the Citalopram for 5 weeks - do I need to do a very slow taper at this point???

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!!

March 2015 - April 2015 took 100mg Tramadol (like Effexor) daily. Just for pain - did not know there were anti-depressant as well.

May 2nd 2015, quit the Tramadol cold turkey.

Started Citalopram 20mg May 26.

Take 2mg Melatonin at night.

Took Lunesta for 30 days, stopped July 2nd, 2015

Started Citalopram taper (20mg) - 20% to 18mg, July 2nd, 2015

Dose cut to 10mg Aug 1, 2015

Dose cut to 5mg Aug 15, 2015

Glad you found us!

I don't have much experience so I will let someone else give advice. But someone will be along soon to help.

Welcome. There are lots of supportive friendly people here.

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

Thank you!!! I just can't get my mind off getting off the Citalopram and what the best way to do it is!!!!!

March 2015 - April 2015 took 100mg Tramadol (like Effexor) daily. Just for pain - did not know there were anti-depressant as well.

Am on 20mg Citalopram, taken it for 5 weeks. 2 months since I last took the Tramadol. Am also taking Lunesta to sleep. "Waves" and "windows" have every other day to every two days pattern, but I think my brain was healing better off the Citalopram....

• Administrator

Welcome, hopefullearningpatience.

When you say the windows are not so good, is your only symptom this emotional anesthesia?

That is a side effect of citalopram. You may wish to gradually lower the dosage some to relieve this side effect.

See Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Tips for tapering off Celexa (citalopram)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

oh thank you, thank you, thank you for replying!!!! yes, I think "emotional anesthesia" is exactly it! when I hit my "windows" of feeling normal, they just aren't as good as before I started the Citalopram. 

and as hard as I remind myself during waves that I am healing and going to have another window, MAN it's just so hard to believe!!!

and the physical symptoms of the waves are pretty brutal too. skin burning and tingling, neck aches, I have been nauseated the last few waves. I just never know what's coming next!!!

but I liked the videos on the "Hope" forum that give me hope that my brain is healing, I just think it might heal better without the Citalopram

thank  you again, you and this website are a blessing as my doctor told me to cut to 10mg for 2 weeks then stop taking. I am just afraid that would send me into another tailspin, but I don't know since it has only been 5 weeks of taking Citalopram...

Will I more than likely send myself into a tailspin again if I just quit taking the Citalopram at this point???

• Administrator

You may exacerbate your underlying Tramadol withdrawal syndrome.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

ok, so you suggest tapering the Citalopram very slowly then? I think I just want off the Citalopram to let my brain heal on its own... with the time frame I have been on it (5 weeks), I guess it still needs to be a slow taper? 10% per month? I will be basically withdrawing from 2 drugs at the same time I guess...

• Moderator Emeritus

Because you were only on it for 5 weeks, you may be able to taper a bit faster. I agree that you would be better off not taking the Citalopram, but now you are already taking it, it may cause a few more bumps coming off it. But on the other hand, the longer you keep taking it, the more your brain is adjusting to its presence.

If I were in your situation, I would aim to taper a bit faster than 10% per month, but if the symptoms become too much to handle, then slow your taper down.

Have a look through this topic for some ideas to help you manage symptoms:

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

You weren't on any of these drugs for a long time, a few months as opposed to years, like some of us. I'm sure you will recover completely and be fine.

Please stay in touch and let us know how you are doing.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

thank you SO much for the reply. I agree, there will be more bumps...and who knows, maybe the Citalopram was useful for a bit, but now I understand what my brain is going through and the patience is key and not trying to DEFEAT the withdrawal, but more "roll with the flow" - and that the fewer meds I have in my system, the better

I will keep you updated on my journey - I know it will be tough to decipher the taper from the Tramadol withdrawal. 

But I know I have become a stronger person from this whole process

Thank you again for your kind support. Times can be scary when our brains aren't in the ball game, but we can all do this!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

ok, so starting July 2nd I bought a scale and have cut my pills down 20%...gonna keep at that until July 16th, then going to do another 20% taper. I was on vacation last week at the beach, so that was super nice.

the Citalopram makes me tired and very blah, but usually it burns off by the evening - READY to be off of it!!!!

I also quit taking Lunesta July 2nd

• Administrator

Since your first decrease was 20%, I would wait at least a month to see how this affects you. Withdrawal symptoms can take some weeks to show up.

ok, I was thinking I might could taper a little faster since I have not taken it very long (I only took 20 mg for 5 weeks)??? but I would rather be safe than sorry!

• Administrator

Exactly. You can't assume you can go fast.

should I try to switch to Prozac?

• Administrator

No, do that only if you find you cannot taper citalopram.

ok, thank you so much for your help (as always) - it is really, really appreciated. still holding at the 20% reduction. doctor suggested switching to Lexapro because fewer side effects, but I think tapering the citalopram is the path for me.

Hi just my 2p worth - but I wouldn't switch to any other drug and Lexapro / Escitalopram comes with a host of WD effects as well even when tapering slowly.

1997 - 2001 Seroxat 10mg

2001 - 2013 Escitalopram 10mg

Gradual taper from 10mg to 5mg over 2.5 years (between 2011 - 2013)

Last taper from 5mg to 0 under advice from doctor done in 1 month (too damn fast!) - included missing out days.

Have been drug free since Oct 2013.  - Yep 5 years drugs free

yeah, I think you are right - I just want to be off of ALL of it! thank you for your advice :)

• Moderator Emeritus

I'd stay with the citalopram. I can't see much point in switching to escitalopram. I've been on both and the side effects are almost identical. 

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

• Administrator

Lexapro does not have fewer side effects. Your doctor is misinformed.

ok, so report today...I did the 20% taper on July 2nd. pretty much same normal Tramadol withdrawal since then, I have had some heightened anxiety since July 18, but it is burning off in the evenings. have not had the noticeable waves and windows, but more of anxiety in the morning that dwindles by evening, really weird???

I guess it's that non-linear pattern thing???

it's just so hard to know if it is still the Tramadol withdrawal or Citalopram?

I have read that PAWS peak at around 3-6 months, I am wondering if my Tramadol withdrawal will peak at that time and then slowly get better even with the Citalopram taper?

if the Citalopram is not doing any good in there, then what the heck is it doing to me?