Hopeinahpwr

Hopeinahpwr

Good morning everyone,

Well, I'm at 75mg and have been doing very well. However, over the past few days I have been having increasingly more feelings of, what I would say, is an irrational fear of losing my job; almost a feeling of worthlessness. I'm using my CBT to combat it, but I definitely notice it and am just wondering if others have these types of feelings? I feel it is neuro-emotions, but I guess some reassurance would help...:-)

I am praying for us all!

Ben 

On zoloft since 2000 for OCD/anxiety. Tapered off from 150mg to 100, 50, 25 over Dec/Jan 2015. After month n half off, began depression. Being terrified, as I never had depression before, after a few days, went back to 50mg, then five days later to 100mg. Now stable. I will stop this medication, with time and perseverance...my current taper level and timing are as follows, which includes No other Rx's, No alcohol, NEVER any illicit drugs:

84mg from October 2016

82mg from February 2017

79mg from April 2017

77mg from June 2017

75mg from July 2017

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation." - Viktor Frankl

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Hopeinahpwr

• KarenB

• apace41

• kitschywoman

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Hopeinahpwr, I would often get similar emotions after making a reduction and it would take a little while before I would start to regain my confidence.  Not sure why this happens, guess it's just the way the brain copes with a decrease which manifests itself by producing fear.  Once I became familiar with this pattern after just about every decrease I'd make, I'd use soothing self-talk to help myself through those days and would remind myself that these feelings wouldn't last forever and the emotions/fear would eventually start to calm down and sure enough they did.  It must somehow be related to neuro-emotions, and also think that because our emotions have been dulled for so long, when we do start to feel them bubbling to the surface it can be a little challenging.  I found the links below helpful in understanding and then accepting what was going on to lessen their impact on me.  

Dealing with Emotional Spirals     

Mindfulness and Acceptance

Current Prescription Drugs for Hypothyroidism:  Synthroid 100mcg / Cytomel 5mcg (15 years Pristiq/Effexor)

Tapering Schedule
September 15, 2016 - switched from Pristiq 50mg to Effexor XR 75mg; November 10, 2016 - reduced to 67.5 Effexor XR
December 9, 2016 - reduced 60.75
January 5, 2017 - reduced 54.67
January 30, 2017 - reduced to 49.0
February 20, 2017 - reduced to 44.0 
May 20, 2017 - reduced to 40.25 (holding for additional month due to late onset of withdrawal symptoms after this taper)
July 17, 2017 - reduced to 38.24
August 15, 2017 - reduced to 37.5 (50% of my original dose)

October 15, 2017 - reduced to 35.6

November 12, 2017 - reduced to 33.8
December 15, 2017 - up-dose to 35.6
December 28, 2017 - up-dose to 37.5

Thank you Baroquep, I will explore the links further!!!! I basically do the same as you, talk myself through and remind myself the wave will pass.

I appreciate your advice,

Ben 

On zoloft since 2000 for OCD/anxiety. Tapered off from 150mg to 100, 50, 25 over Dec/Jan 2015. After month n half off, began depression. Being terrified, as I never had depression before, after a few days, went back to 50mg, then five days later to 100mg. Now stable. I will stop this medication, with time and perseverance...my current taper level and timing are as follows, which includes No other Rx's, No alcohol, NEVER any illicit drugs:

84mg from October 2016

82mg from February 2017

79mg from April 2017

77mg from June 2017

75mg from July 2017

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift." - Eleanor Roosevelt

"Forces beyond your control can take away everything you possess except one thing, your freedom to choose how you will respond to the situation." - Viktor Frankl

• 1 month later...

Good morning,

I hope everyone is having a good day! I've been struggling as of late, my mood very melancholy and pretty depressed. I've been at my job now for almost eight years and it has really taken a toll on me. Between the hour-plus commute and working nights, I see my wife and daughters for about 15 mins Monday thru Friday and then have to head off to work, returning when they are asleep. Then  I'm asleep when they all leave in the am for work/school...so...I really need a job change and it is really weighing on me. As I stated when I first joined this forum, I had never experienced depression that I knew of, so this is new to me. I'm not sure if it is because as an adult, I had always been on the zoloft and that masked any depressive feelings I could of had...or...what is happening is what I have read about and dreaded...that coming off of ADs after a long use time can cause permanent dysthymia (chronic low-grade depressive state)...idk. I pray it is not the latter. I am really working hard to find a new job, but it seems unless I commute...the money is no where near as good. 

I'm using my CBT and constant positive thinking to combat the excessive rumination that is basically focused on my current employment situation, but it is draining me. If anyone has felt similarly, or can give me any advice, I'd be grateful. 

I am praying for us all...

Ben 

p.s.- still steady at 75mg of sertraline. 

84mg from October 2016

82mg from February 2017

79mg from April 2017

77mg from June 2017

75mg from July 2017