☼ frasier23: Zyprexa cold turkey what now

frasier23

I going on the med free route and besides insomnia from zyprexa I have problems with random thoughts that usually dictates stories and tries to include me sooner or later. Exhausting since i always need to be prepared and im wondering if anyone has

lost this symptom without medicine? they appears before bed and just after awake when eyes closed.

2015june psyc ward due to psychosis

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2015sept/october 3weeks Nitrazepam 1w Theralen build of sleep

2016may psyc ward psychoziz. Trilafon injection Immovan 3weekz

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I did have quite a lot of visual hallucinations, but only a few of the audio ones, which for me are the worst.

So I really didn't "avoid" psychosis so much as I "ignored" it. I just reminded myself that this was just a withdrawal symptom and nothing to be afraid of. I used mindfulness techniques. For example, mindfulness teaches that you can let your thoughts pass without interacting with them. I used that same technique for hallucinations. I simply let them pass without interacting with them.

After all, it's not real and it won't hurt you. It's the anxiety that's the worst because they happen quite unexpectedly and you have to second guess whether it's real.

How are you feeling now? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Further to Shep's point about hallucinations and ignoring them, I once was given an expression that helps me put intrusive thoughts in their place: "It's just neurons firing."

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

update.

having sleep/dark holes in two sessions. 1hr+2hr i believe its hard to reallyknow. I. also having so much intrusive thoughts which creates dreams even though im not sleeping. so sometimes during night i "wake up" from a dream but its just my intrusive thoughts that almost put me into psychosis feeling. its no good sleep hopefully it get better.

10 days 10mg zyprexa. stopped cold turkey. side effects were blinking eyes, eyes shut down by themself when going to sleep, restless,hunger. I had natural sleep (6hrs) before zyprexa. Slept exact 8hours with zyprexa.

2015july one month after cold turkey(had own sleep during this time exact 8hours every night, felt like zyprexa sleep even though i didnt take it) I lost my sleep over a night and it never came back. 0hours for 7-10days before I had to reinstate zyprexa on 5mg first 2days 10mg 1week 5mg 1week and then stopped CT. maybe also had 7.5 and 2.5 some days dont remember.

2016june 1week theralen had some extra sleep but realised its just pushing problem forward i guess

2019 Ive now been medicine free for almost 2.5 years (I think last Trilafon injection was 2016 October) and still not fully recovered. I believe my overdose on Zyprexa (20mg + injection) did most damage. 

when i was in hospital and put on trilafon and immovane I had 1-3 nights with good sleep and immediately my libido came back etc. that was due to medicine and i know i will not have that sleep in a long time naturally. cant cry anymore think i lost it due to sleep deprivation. just yawns. thats why im confused regarding medicin. maybe i need to treat my psychotic symptoms with medicine?? how will i otherwise feel that poweř from restorative sleep / whatever i had from the medicine

• Moderator Emeritus

update.

having sleep/dark holes in two sessions. 1hr+2hr i believe its hard to reallyknow. I. also having so much intrusive thoughts which creates dreams even though im not sleeping. so sometimes during night i "wake up" from a dream but its just my intrusive thoughts that almost put me into psychosis feeling. its no good sleep hopefully it get better.

I still have very strange experiences when I first start to fall asleep. It's this hypnagogic state of consciousness where it can definitely feel a bit psychotic with stream of conscious thinking. 

It's hard to tell what is real and what is dreaming, especially if you've been struggling with insomnia for weeks or months. And it's easy to get swept away in the intrusive thought stream. 

But the fact that you realize this, the fact that you're writing about it, means you are not psychotic. You have too much self awareness. 

I really think this is sleep deprivation. You've brought up a fear of psychosis before, but from what you're saying, you are aware that these episodes are really tricks of the mind due to sleep deprivation. 

The more you can relax before sleep, distracting by reading or listening to music, the less fear you will have and the less the intrusive thoughts will put you into that "psychosis feeling". 

It really does get better. 

Shep. problem is i didnt register my sleep that much much during spring. But i believe my sleep didnt get better from med free until my last psychosis thats why im now worried it wont get better and i should reinstate. I wonder how my sleep will ever finds its way back.

Also even if I have psychotic symptoms as intrusive thoughts i guess they can dissappear with or without medicine?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, frasier. Intrusive thoughts are not a symptom of psychosis. They are just like any other thoughts, but usually they are dark and make us uncomfortable. But they are not a sign of psychosis.

Try to distract yourself from them. Watch TV, go for a walk in nature, listen to music, read, etc. 

If they are happening when you are trying to fall asleep, try listening to a guided sleep meditation. If you go on YouTube and look up "guided sleep meditation", you can find a lot of them. 

You may also want to look into using Melatonin - please see the links provided to you earlier in your thread. 

Another night with 1+2 . Had lots of intrusive thoughts between 6-10. at breakfast i thought about dinosauries looking into my window. Hopefully this goes away.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Frasier. You said you "thought about dinosaurs looking into my window." Was it just a thought and not a hallucination? 

I know the intrusive thoughts and insomnia are difficult right now, but there are some suggestions given throughout your thread to help, so feel free to read over everything and ask questions if you need to. 

is this equivalent to normal tinnitus?

Thanks shep i might use this as sort of log as well. Its kind of intrusive thoughts but you see an animation of dinosaur looking into the windows.

last night 0hrs.

21th 0hrs

22th 0hrs less thoughts 6-10

Thinking of what todo since its same situation as a week ago when i tried Theralen again. Just gave me a few days of sleep nothing else. My head is so awake and head tinnitus takes focus when trying to sleep. Guess I try natural a few more days if my body can stand it. Have had a lot of strange feelings in it every time i go without sleep

• Moderator Emeritus

It is very common in w/d.  Some of the discussion in these threads might be of use to you:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9671-intrusive-thoughts-and-increased-panic/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/9809-neuro-emotions/

What about having some guided meditations ready to turn on when you notice the thoughts starting? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

23th 2hrs I believe har to know since its just holes. Have been waking up with anxiety and cold feets past days. Guessing its from sleep deprivation. Still confused if I should continue on this route or not.

• Moderator Emeritus

Frasier, have you thought about using Melatonin? This could help you get at least a few hours of sleep and keep you from completely decompensating from sleep deprivation.

Please note as an online forum, we are limited in what we can do for you.

Since insomnia was the reason you went on these drugs, you may struggle with insomnia even more, so if you do need to take something, I would try the melatonin first. Remember to start at a very low dose and follow the guidelines listed on the very first post of this thread: 

Melatonin for sleep

Here's how to re-establish your sleep cycle with melatonin:

- Start with .25mg-.50mg melatonin for 3-4 days.

- Take at the same time, nightfall (but, given that it's summer, not later than 8 p.m.), every night.

- If needed, gradually increase by .25mg for 3-4 days at a time.

- Use the lowest effective dose.

- Try to turn lights off or keep lights low after sundown. Your bedroom should be quiet and dark. Darkness triggers natural melatonin production. Artificial lighting, including staring into the computer, can give the wrong signal to your pineal gland.

- Keep to a very regular schedule -- this is what your circadian rhythm needs.

- Do NOT take melatonin regularly at any time but nightfall or you might scramble your sleep-wake cycle.

You may also want to run a fan or use some form of White Noise to help with the tinnitus.

My worry is that I completly decompensate.. What happens then? zhould i be worried? how could it happen without me sleeping.. Dont have melatonin.

Isnt melatonin just a milder form of drug. Guess sleep cycle will break when its taken away?

• Moderator Emeritus

I understand your concern. You're striving to be completely drug free and we definitely respect that here. But melatonin is not a milder form of a drug. It's a hormone. Please read the first post in that Melatonin thread. As Alto explains it:

Darkness triggers melatonin, the nighttime sleep hormone made by the pineal gland to signal our brains that it's time to sleep. The natural human sleep-wake cycle is from nightfall to dawn. (Sunrise starts cortisol, the daytime activity hormone, which in excess causes the awful anxiety, depression, and insomnia of withdrawal syndrome.

She goes onto to say:

According to what I've read and conversations with doctors I trust, your body does NOT get dependent on it and does NOT compensate by reducing natural melatonin output. Of all the difficult choices available to us, melatonin is relatively safe.

Although anything can carry risks, decompensating due to lack of sleep also carries a risk. So this is definitely something to look into.

I have no idea, but my 10 days off of Venlafaxine caused ringing noise in my entire head. It was one among the many weird things that happened. When I reinstated it went back to "normal" tinnitus. My thought was it just the volume of the sound had been turned way up.

2002 to 2016 Venlafaxine ER 225mg.  2013 TMS treatments triggered nerve pain in face, arm, back.  2016 TMS round ending Feb 1 Central Nerve Pain and and sub-acute serotonin toxicity compounded by Imitrex.  April-June tapered over 3 months from 225 to 0. Reinstated 6/20/16 21.5 nonER 2x day. 7/7/16-37.5mg; 7/17/16-36.6; 7/22/16-33.75; 8/22/16 32.6mg, 9/11/16-28.9mg, 9/25/16-25mg, 12/3/16-19.4mg, 12/18/16-18.5 holding.  OTHER DAILY PHARMACEUTICALS:   *Oxcarbazepine 150 mg 2x/day since mid 2015, *Naproxen 220mg 3x/day as an antidepressant and for pain since 2012, *Levothyrozine 75mcg since 2008 (hypothyroid), *Levothyronine 5 mpg 2x/day since 2012 (hypothyroid) *montelukast SOD 10 mg for asthma since 2014, Advair 250/50 2x daily, [DX 11/16 Felodopine 5mg since 2006,DX combivent 8/1/16] *MEDICAL MARIJUANA for neuropathic pain:CBD oil 25 mg 3-4 x day, THC tincture a few drops: 1/4 tsp 0-3x/day, vaporize CBD for breakthrough pain, CBD concentrate for severe pain.  PRN MEDS *Valium 5 mg PRN up to 4/day for muscle spasms, usually 1-2 x/ day. *Low dose Ketamine nasal spray for severe pain, and also finding 1 dose calms bad WD quickly. HERBAL TINCTURES: burdock, lobelia, turmeric, white willow. CURRENT SUPPLEMENTS:  *Methylated B vitamins, *Vitamin D 5000 iu, Alpha Lipoid Acid, Neti pot. [DX 6/13/16 promethazine suppository + 2 OTC Benadryl for severe pain N Acetyl Cytine for asthma1992-2002, over 20 different psych meds. 2012-2016 Eliminated 7 meds 1 at a time DX Plaquenil DX Spironolactone DX Lunesta, DX Ativan,  + others

I know we talked about this earlier but still dont under stand why not sleep pills like Immovan cant help recreate sleep cycle or is it a fake sleep cycle that just outcompetes the real?

• Moderator Emeritus

Yes, you could say drugs like Imovane cause a type of "fake sleep".  Imovane, or any benzodizepine drug, can cause re-bound insomnia, making your sleep progressively worse.

Plus it causes dependency in as little as 2 weeks. So it's actually worse than a "fake sleep" because you can become trapped on the drug, not able to come off, meanwhile it's making your sleep worse.

Because Melatonin is a hormone (not a drug), it creates a calm stage for your mind to go into, a quiet natural sleep. This is why we recommend it here.

Because I createad a sleep pattern on nitrazepam/theralen which i could feel every night. 1-2+2-3hrs. This was created of 1 month use and I Had this sleep pattern for a couple of months until it broke when I changed sleep environment.

Was this a fake zleep pattern? and how was my natural sleep affected by it during the time i didnt take any meds but was on the medicine built up sleep pattern?

frasier what are your thoughts on doing a drug sig.?

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

made a quick one

Wow great job the mods will love you!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Frasier.  When you say " fake sleep pattern" do you mean non- restorative with no deep REM sleep ? I struggled for a long time with W/D insomnia and it was tempting to try the sleep drugs but I knew in time the normal sleep cycle would return.

My take on this is that you can keep putting off the pain with more drugs or deal with it for good - naturally . There are quite a few natural options to explore - Melatonin has been discussed a number of times here , as it's been so helpful to quite a few of us here, particularly those dealing with long term sleeping problems. I have seen it to be one of the most consistently helpful supplements as well as the fish oil and magnesium, which are staples in recovery.  Alto took Melatonin for 3 years to help with her insomnia. It has helped quite a few here.

There are also other tools that have helped some of us including guided sleep meditations, relaxing music, keeping lights low , staying off computers/ phones etc, eye- masks, block out blinds and one that I've just found - bedtime yoga . 
I think it's just finding what perhaps works for you at this time. It takes some effort but is ultimately worth it in the long term.

Guided Meditations, Calming Videos, Sleep Hypnosis

5 Minute before Bed Yoga

https://youtu.be/FscDZp1L4Nw

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

fake sleep pattern I mean the pattern that were created by sleep pills. (if it is considered to be a fake pattern) Because i created a sleep pattern with sleep pills which were the same for months until i changed sleep environment. Think it had some rem sleep and maybe deep sleep. why it felt fake was because it was the same all time. Always same hours etc..

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Frasier. What do you mean by "I changed sleep environment"?  Did you move into a new apartment or house?

yes i think it was due to an 1w vacation where the room where really light. thaats also why i felt the sleep cycle felt fake since it was so easy to break it.

• Moderator Emeritus

During withdrawal it doesn't take much to break a sleep cycle.  But now that you're back home, you can make your bedroom dark and cool, the perfect environment for sleep.

You may want to try doing a sleep re-set with Melatonin.  You can find this in most grocery and health food stores. What it does is help you fall asleep, so at least you're getting a few hours of sleep a night. This is all it takes to prevent really serious consequences such as insomnia-induced psychosis.

Also, it can get you out of the mindset of having a fear of sleep, or rather, a fear of not sleeping.

Just a thought.

feels hopeless since the sleep pattern i broke were at least a start. Nowadays i cant feel if i goto sleep or not something i always did before. alternative to insomnia indusced psychoais is to take meds for a while. Can sleep be back during meds? doctors keep telling this all the time.

another night with unknown sleep probably 0.

starting to not care anymore since i dont want back on zyprexa and maybe its not even possible. I wouldnt have the motivation to even taper it.

So im stuck with natural route and to be honest i dont know if it will be any better. It was one year since I CT Zyprexa and i think the insomnia would be gone now.

• Moderator Emeritus

thanks, what i was thinking of is if natural sleep progressed during aid of seroquel. been without sleep to long now and im wondering around medicine and still have some healing so i later can taper whatever medicine?

Hi, frasier.

The above post is copied from what you posted on my Intro thread, but I think it's best to keep all of the information related to your taper and recovery here on your own thread.

I think you're asking if it's okay to go back on a medication for sleep now and then taper it later? Is this correct?

If so, that is a possibility, but so far going back on medication hasn't helped you in the long run. Also, please keep in mind the effect that "kindling" plays, as going on and off medications makes the central nervous system more fragile. Please see this thread for more information: 

Limbic Kindling -- Hardwiring the brain for hypersensitivity

So im stuck with natural route and to be honest i dont know if it will be any better. It was one year since I CT Zyprexa and i think the insomnia would be gone now. 

Yes, your CT off Zyprexa was a year ago, but since then you've been off and on a number of drugs, including nitrzaepam, theralen, and trilafon. 

All of these drugs can cause major sleep problems, so it's not just your Zyprexa cold turkey, it's all of these other medications, as well. 

As you continue to stay off these drugs, your sleep will get better. Also, please read over your entire thread, as we've listed a number of non-drug methods of handling your insomnia. 

Unknown sleep again but with a difference. It felt as i had been sleeping when i watched my clock at around 3-4. Less thoughts before sleep but much more images 6-10 and less thoughts. almost felt like thoughts were getting weaker and overtaken by images. Maybe it has to do with sleep deprivation

Frasier. I can't help thinking that if you perhaps focused on other things that the sleep problem would start to recede slightly. I understand  how very debilitating it can be as I suffered from it in a major way for close on 2 years, but I can't remember focusing on it . My thoughts were about accepting what was happening and moving on. If I couldn't sleep then I just made the best of it . I knew it would eventually right itself. I watched a lot of reality TV in the early morning hours and posted some slightly crazy posts here, but I didn't stress ever. I was frustrated and extremely tired but looking forward to a natural return of sleep eventually - drug free.

I think that attitude helped and I'm 95 % there.  I've gone from 6 nights awake to 6 nights sleeping / perhaps 1 night awake a week.

I've told you already what helped but the main thing was " NO STRESS".

I guess I had a huge faith in the process and never had any doubts and didn't look for a quick fix.

I get the pain /fatigue and nothing works right when sleepless but try to hang in there and find what works for you. Please explore all the options available particularly in Symptoms & Self - Care.

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014