scottly9999

I'm a good and solid 18 months into 0 mg Lexapro - in some ways it feels longer, and in others, almost yesterday.

I can relate SO MUCH to Neuro emotions - they are by far the worst part of withdrawal.

For me I've had a LOT of them flare up.

The longer you are at 0mg, the easier it is to see that they must be a N.E. flare up and not "you".

It's the same for my background "noise" of withdrawal in my head 24/7... it lessens and you can see things for what they are - your baseline improves.

I've also used some of my neuro emtions for good in a way of recent too!

I found out a lot of negative stuff was happening behind my back at work - about me.

It filled me with a sense of truth about myself - about being proud of who I am!!!

That sense of pride wasn't normal given the situation, but on reflection it was likely neuro emotion.

I was able to distance myself - and my true nature became apparent to others... and shone through.

They ALL admitted they were wrong, and apologized - honestly apologized, and things have been so much better ever since.

sadandconfused
On 10/22/2018 at 8:44 AM, scottly9999 said:

I'm a good and solid 18 months ...

Im so glad to hear yours are getting better! This is my second time coming off Lexapro and I'm feeling worse than ever and I'm just trying to keep in mind that my brain is still damaged and I have to wait it out. I just hate not knowing how long it will take 

Edited by ChessieCat
reduced quote

Peachy
On 7/24/2015 at 11:38 PM, gemini said:

Is anyone going through extreme judgment/dark thoughts about other people, in wd? I am not like that. I'm a humanist and these dark, intrusive judgmental thoughts hurt me.

@gemini I have had these for the last 2.5 years all through WD. Please tell me these went away for you? How long did they ask? It makes me feel awful. 

gemini

peachy yes they have lessened substantially in intensity and frequency. 

Rezten

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this...since Thanksgiving I started feeling better relatively speaking and my anxiety was mild and I was able to do more outside of the house.  The past week my anxiety has been high, full of fear, crying a lot.  I am assuming these a neuro emotions and will eventually subside.  I'm so afraid this will never go away.  

MRothbard

I'm pretty sure it will Rezten.

herod

Does anyone experience getting really emotional (bursting into tears) when watching a video? Like, in a movie, when the good guys win against the bad guys, or watching animals save humans on YouTube, I tear up and almost start crying.

Suttisan

Could disturbing suicidal thoughts be classed as a neuro emotion? I've had them since taking Sertraline almost 2 years ago as well as anhedonia. They are almost gone though, but it is very confusing, I have periods when I'm ok now then ten minutes of this horrible delusion which makes me question myself. Lithium orotate has really helped me, mainly the apathy I have now, it is constant though, no sense of enjoyment or motivation about anything. 

Altostrata

Many people here have had thoughts of suicide, it's a normal reaction when you think you have no options. Having thoughts of suicide is not the same as being suicidal. They're just thoughts.

Please do not make yourself worse by worrying about passing thoughts of doing yourself in. Bat them away like any other disturbing thought. See

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Deep emotional pain and crying spells, spontaneous weeping

Health anxiety, hypochondria, and obsession with symptoms

Shame, guilt, regret, and self-criticism

Dealing With Emotional Spirals

For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

Easing your way into meditation for a stressed-out nervous system

Are We There Yet? How Long is Withdrawal Going to Take?

"Is it always going to be like this?"

Withdrawal dialogues & encouragement

If you feel you cannot manage your thoughts and are actually suicidal, seek face-to-face help immediately, see For those who are feeling desperate or suicidal

noearthlyfamily
On 4/9/2011 at 11:52 AM, Altostrata said:

For quite a while in withdrawal, neuro-emotion led me to memories where I embarrassed myself, made a fool or myself, or was rejected. I couldn't shake them, I was reliving them intensely over and over.

The feeling of shame and worthlessness was awful. I had to make a determined effort, which wasn't always successful, to distract myself from these memories. I kept reminding myself to forgive myself for my mistakes.

Then reliving these memories went away. I'm not having this problem anymore (I hope).

I presume that some area of my brain was being stimulated by dysregulated neuro-hormones, and now it's recovered.

ohmygod THIS!!! i thought it was just me being a bad person, remembering all my faults and misdeeds and that i would be better off ...not alive! so this is a thing too? this brain damage stuff is causing my ruminations and nightmares to keep recirculating over and over??

when does it get better? like, please let the answer be less than a whole bunch of yEARS...i just can't imagine keep feeling the emotional hell continuously for that long. seems my life has been nothing but suffering with a sprinkling of moments of joy...is that the best i get or does it actually improve sometime soon?

Altostrata

noearthlyfamily

thank you Altostrata, i've read some of these and will read them all now. 

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Orangeblossom77

I'm getting very intense emotions even as the other symptoms seem to be passing, I wonder does this last longer than other withdrawal symptoms perhaps..is it a longer part of healing? I have had lots of anger - I call it feeling fierce! I am so cross with even small irrational things.

It helps to know it is a symptom, as I was feeling then quite cross with myself for being so fierce- e.g. about silly things really. I did have a tearful phase and that is going a little, bit veering from tearful (sad) to tearful about really pathetic and silly things, soppy things...you know how people cry at films that kind of thing. 

Last time I had to come off meds very quick was during pregnancy and breastfeeding and that seemed to help, calming I understand it is Oxytocin. I wonder if that might help with this. I mean we can't all breastfeed randomly (!) but Oxytocin can be increased I think by things like calming activities, stroking a cat for example. Although, I have to say am quite prickly and un-higgy sometimes, now as well! Not easy.

It says on Wikipedia, about Oxytocin- 

"Oxytocin has a more complex role than solely enhancing prosocial behaviors. There is consensus that oxytocin modulates fear and anxiety...Nasally administered oxytocin has been reported to reduce fear, possibly by inhibiting the amygdala (which is thought to be responsible for fear responses). Indeed, studies in rodents have shown oxytocin can efficiently inhibit fear responses by activating an inhibitory circuit within the amygdala.Some researchers have argued oxytocin has a general enhancing effect on all social emotions...Oxytocin produces antidepressant-like effects in animal models of depression, and a deficit of it may be involved in the pathophysiology of depression in humans...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin

This is interesting to me as during that time was OK...without meds I mean and in withdrawal...

There is a guide here about how to increase it...I find Loving Kindness meditation calming.and gives the same 

feelings. 

https://www.wikihow.com/Naturally-Increase-Oxytocin-Levels

You don't have to have someone to hug either...you could book an aromatherapy massage perhaps

(the local college does this by me very cheap and is very calming)

https://www.verywellmind.com/how-to-practice-loving-kindness-meditation-3144786

Oh, also yes i agree about the drama and being very reactive to things in that way. I have been like that also, 

and really making myself Stop and Think hard before replying / responding to anything upsetting or emotive

wither online or in RL...not easy is it. I try and turn those feelings into feeling compassion or sorry for the situation or 

just 'it's not my problem".. I never used to care as much about such small things while on meds and nothing happened

when I didn't respond. You never know maybe could teach me something...

WiggleIt
On 2/21/2019 at 4:46 PM, noearthlyfamily said:

ohmygod THIS!!! i thought it was just me being a bad person, remembering all my faults and misdeeds and that i would be better off ...not alive! so this is a thing too? this brain damage stuff is causing my ruminations and nightmares to keep recirculating over and over??

when does it get better? like, please let the answer be less than a whole bunch of yEARS

During WD, I was OBSESSED with my past failures.  Things I had done 5, 10, or 20 years ago came flooding back to cause crippling humiliation and self-loathing.  It was surreal and horrifying and inescapable.

And guess what?  It did not take me years to recover from that particular WD symptom.  Like all WD symptoms, I can't tell you what the timeframe will be for you, but I have seen so many people on SA discuss this symptom and also say that resolved.  

Ha ha, if anything, maybe I'm a little too shameless these days :)   

noearthlyfamily
Posted (edited)

Wiglett thanks for your response! very encouraging! : ) i hope one day i can be shameles and maybe gult-free to boot! i sure have done some whopper bigtime embarassing mistakes

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

Tweet

Hi all, and thanks for the valuable info on neuro emotions.  

Here is my question.

Some days I just wake up feeling hopeless and down (once the daily early-morning anxiety clears) for no reason and I suspect it might be neuro emotions or dystalgia (love that term). 

My question is can this down-ness last more than one day in a row? It seems I will have this 3 or 4 days in a row, and then the 5th morning just wake up feeling totally normal. (Once the daily early-morning anxiety clears)

This pretty much normalness with occasional anxiety will last for usually 7-8 days. Then boom back to the hopeless, my life has no meaning, etc. feelings for a few days.

Do you all think this sounds like neuro emotions?

I sure would like some input on this.

Thanks!

getofflex

There are some days that I just feel angry at the world and angry at everyone around me, for no reason.  But I keep telling myself it is just my damaged nervous system, and that I will probably feel better tomorrow.  Today is one of those days.  I feel angry that I have so little support with my friends and family, because they have no idea about WD from Lexapro and psych drugs.  The neuro emotions are bad on the days I'm sleep deprived.  I'm trying really hard to have a good attitude, and not get swept away by these negative emotions.  I'm trying to just observe them from a distance, if you will.  I'm having quite a lot of flushing today too, so it seems my hormones are also out of whack.  

Gridley
On 4/1/2019 at 11:30 AM, Tweet said:

My question is can this down-ness last more than one day in a row? It seems I will have this 3 or 4 days in a row, and then the 5th morning just wake up feeling totally normal. (Once the daily early-morning anxiety clears)

This pretty much normalness with occasional anxiety will last for usually 7-8 days. Then boom back to the hopeless, my life has no meaning, etc. feelings for a few days.

Do you all think this sounds like neuro emotions?

It sounds to me more like the normal waves and windows of withdrawal.  The waves can certainly last more than a day.  It's great you're having normal days intermixed.  

Neuroemotions are more strong negative feelings of anger, shame, fear, guilt, self-criticism.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/14397-neuro-emotions/

Tweet

Thanks for the input Gridley.

I guess I have progressed to having normal windows and 🌊 😉.

My wave ended today at lunch. Thank God. 

Tweet

Getofflex,

Sleep definitely helps with the neuroemotions. Yet it is so hard to come by many nights!

one thing this experience has done for me is to make me more compassionate with others who 

are suffering.

Doctors deny what we are experiencing. Society at  large has no idea how much we are suffering, and even loved ones will never truly comprehend it. My husband will argue that it is psych issues surfacing again all at once.

But he is trying to get it. 

My talk therapist doesn’t believe it. But has agreed to go on and see what can be done without meds.

We just have to know that WE know it is real. And that has to be  enough. 

I am so thankful for SA, where we can all discuss our “imagined” plight.

I hope you feel better soon.

PrayingWarrior

@Tweet you are definitely having windows and waves because that's exactly how mine are going. Like almost down to the same amount of good and bad days. It comforting to know that I'm not alone😊 

Tweet

Thank you Praying Warrior. Hope it is going better for you!

I have decided, if possible, not to share symptoms happening with my husband. 

Our marriage is really being strained because he personalizes my emotions.

Loneliness translates into accusing him of not spending enough time with me, etc. 

Paws really strains relationships right when you don’t need it!

I am so glad to have SA.🙂

DogLover

Right there with you guys. I started getting angry today for seemingly no reason.

Tweet

Kind of scary, isn't it? I am going to have much more self-control by the time this is over! I am really learning how to just let things go lol.

DogLover

yes kinda scary.   i just started getting glad that my terror/anxiety was going away then i wanted to punch a brick wall. im more angry at my self really.

yes on the self control. ive been meditating often lately and sometimes it really helps. i noticed that it gives me a kinda buzz. hmmm.

getofflex
On 3/29/2011 at 7:02 PM, Healing said:

Whenever you're having an intense, disturbing feeling, try to remind yourself that, right now -- even if it does have something to do with reality -- it is largely a neuro-emotion that you wouldn't be feeling if you were fully healed. And you *will* be fully healed. It's happening! Get ready!

This post is helpful.  As I get off this Lexapro (I'm on a tiny dose - less than 1.0 mg) I'm becoming more aware of people pleasing tendencies in myself, and taking steps to be more assertive and set some boundaries.  However, this morning I'm feeling a lot of anxiety.  I'm fearful of the backlash that may come my way due to setting these boundaries, but am reassured that the high intensity of my anxiety is probably due to tapering from the SSRI.  Jennifer