JillianJ: Introduction

JillianJ

Just found these forums.  This is 1st Post.  I’m about 10 Days into withdrawal from Pristiq and Lexapro. (I’m assuming my “signature “ automatically attaches to this, so I don’t have to go into all the details again?)

This has been shocking how hard this is. The worst for me has been the wild mood swings, accompanied by extreme anger and some outbursts.  Also, a lot of shouting in the privacy of my car.  I feel pretty out of control a lot of the time, with a hair-trigger temper.  I used to be somewhat like this before antidepressants. But this is even worse.

I’m scaring myself with how quickly I can become over the top angry. Also very anxious.

The physical symptoms include one thing I haven’t seen mentioned, so I wonder if anyone has also felt them. It feels like my tongue is tingling, sometimes lips too, and I also get these zippy tingling sensations internally that make me think my heart is racing, but when I check my heart rate, it’s fine.

My biggest concern is that I’ll be traveling soon, which always makes me irritable and anxious, so I wonder how I can handle it right now. I do have a small number of Valium, which I almost never take but I have it for fear of flying.  Should I just go ahead and take it? Will it help? Or will using it just create more problems?

Thanks for “listening “.

On antidepressants since 2000. First Effexor, but had rapid heart rate. Then, various SSRIs, most recently Lexapro 20mg (3-5 yrs.?). Added Wellbutrin 150 mg circa 2015. Added Buspar 10 mg Fall 2017. Switched from Lexapro to Pristiq Nov 2017. Discontinued week 3 due to rapid heart rate. Used Lexapro 10mg for 1 week after stopping Pristiq. Off both as of Dec 20 2017. Also put on Lyrica 50-75 mg at same time due to fibromyalgia. Since Dec 23, having extreme irritability, anger, anxiety; brain zaps, dizzy, woozy, lack of concentration, headache. Wild mood swings, no tolerance for even minor annoyances. For now, sticking with Wellbutrin, Buspar (now 2x day), Lyrica. Update: stopped Lyrica on 12/31/17.

So, I’m feeling a little desperate for some kind of response because I’m traveling in 36 hours and I honestly don’t know if I can handle the the airport and flying stress. I carry Valium with me just in case, but haven’t taken it in years. If I took it this time, would it make my SSRI w/d better or worse?

please, I need some advice.

On antidepressants since 2000. First Effexor, but had rapid heart rate. Then, various SSRIs, most recently Lexapro 20mg (3-5 yrs.?). Added Wellbutrin 150 mg circa 2015. Added Buspar 10 mg Fall 2017. Switched from Lexapro to Pristiq Nov 2017. Discontinued week 3 due to rapid heart rate. Used Lexapro 10mg for 1 week after stopping Pristiq. Off both as of Dec 20 2017. Also put on Lyrica 50-75 mg at same time due to fibromyalgia. Since Dec 23, having extreme irritability, anger, anxiety; brain zaps, dizzy, woozy, lack of concentration, headache. Wild mood swings, no tolerance for even minor annoyances. For now, sticking with Wellbutrin, Buspar (now 2x day), Lyrica. Update: stopped Lyrica on 12/31/17.

Hi Jillian. A once or twice dose of Valium , if you feel you need it probably won't hurt, whilst travelling. It's the persistent use that is more of a problem ~ it only takes about 2 weeks to become dependent. If you already know that and are aware, it should not really become an issue.

Let us know how we can help, further.

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

17 hours ago, JillianJ said:

Just found these forums.  This is 1st Post.  I’m about 10 Days into withdrawal from Pristiq and Lexapro. (I’m assuming my “signature “ automatically attaches to this, so I don’t have to go into all the details again?)

This has been shocking how hard this is. The worst for me has been the wild mood swings, accompanied by extreme anger and some outbursts.  Also, a lot of shouting in the privacy of my car.  I feel pretty out of control a lot of the time, with a hair-trigger temper.  I used to be somewhat like this before antidepressants. But this is even worse.

I’m scaring myself with how quickly I can become over the top angry. Also very anxious.

The physical symptoms include one thing I haven’t seen mentioned, so I wonder if anyone has also felt them. It feels like my tongue is tingling, sometimes lips too, and I also get these zippy tingling sensations internally that make me think my heart is racing, but when I check my heart rate, it’s fine.

My biggest concern is that I’ll be traveling soon, which always makes me irritable and anxious, so I wonder how I can handle it right now. I do have a small number of Valium, which I almost never take but I have it for fear of flying.  Should I just go ahead and take it? Will it help? Or will using it just create more problems?

Thanks for “listening “.

Hi Jillian, welcome to the forum. I just wanted to say I definitely understand what you’re talking about with the tingly lips/tongue (I also experience an itchy tongue which is very annoying!) and the zippy internal feelings that feel as though it’s your heart. I’ve had the latter for pretty much the whole time I’ve been on antidepressants (9 years now) whenever I was late taking a dose, and also now as I am weaning off I experience it as my body accommodates the lower doses. The bouts of anger have also been the most frightening thing for me, as I’m someone who has a lot of shame attached to that particular emotion. Just wanted to send some love and let you know you are not alone, there are hundreds of people here including myself who will understand and empathise with your situation xx L

2008 put on 75mg Effexor XR (Venlafaxine) after breakup with long term boyfriend

2009 Dose increased to 150mg

2010 Dose increased to 300mg plus 25mg Quetiapine added to aid sleep and control hypomania

2011 first attempt to withdraw. Taper much too fast on psychiatrist's advice (300-0mg in 1 month) suffer first and only psychotic episode. Put back on 75mg generic Venlafaxine (no more Quetiapine)

2014 reduce dose to 1/4 of a 37.5mg Venlafaxine tablet during pregnancy. Suffer extreme social anxiety/agoraphobia

2015 Daughter is born. Advised not to breastfeed due to Ven being present in breastmilk. Suffer PND and go back to taking 37.5mg tablet daily. Start to experience heavy fatigue each day after taking Venlafaxine tablet.

14th June 2017 - start 10% monthly taper reduction method. June 2018: 10mg June 2019: 4.5ml June 2020: 2mg June 2021: 0.9mg June 2022: 0.35mg Jan 23: 0.14mg Feb 23: 0.12mg March 23: 0.1mg April 23: 0.08mg May 23: 0.06mg June 23: 0.04mg July 23: 0.02mg

Officially free of all psychiatric medication as of 1st August 2023 :):)

Hi Purplerain. Your post to me means a lot. I have not been this angry and out of control ever.

But now I just spoke with my psychiatrist and she’s not sure if all of this is the result of getting OFF Pristiq and Lexapro, or getting ON Lyrica. Unfortunately, all of it happened within a week’s time. She was managing the withdrawal from the antidepressants, while my primary care doctor- at a checkup- decided to put me on Lyrica for worsening fibromyalgia.  Bad call, because now it’s even harder to sort out.

Finding this site, though, is comforting. Thank you so much for writing to me!

1 hour ago, AliG said:

Hi Jillian. A once or twice dose of Valium , if you feel you need it probably won't hurt, whilst travelling. It's the persistent use that is more of a problem ~ it only takes about 2 weeks to become dependent. If you already know that and are aware, it should not really become an issue.

Let us know how we can help, further.

Welcome to SA,

Ali

Thanks. I will take your advice! And I’m not an addictive type so I should be okay.

• Altostrata changed the title to JillianJ New member post
  • Administrator

Welcome, Jillian.

That drug cocktail is ridiculous. The combination of Pristiq and Lexapro is dangerous. And Wellbutrin too? Whoever prescribed these for you, do not go to this person for medical advice again.

You are experiencing acute withdrawal syndrome. Do you have any Lexapro left? If so, taking a small amount, say 2mg, might take the edge off the symptoms.

This topic explains how to take a small dose by making a liquid from Lexapro Tips for tapering off Lexapro (escitalopram)

Side effects of Wellbutrin can be anxiety, irritability, sleeplessness, and palpitations. How much Wellbutrin are you taking, and when? Do your symptoms increase after you take Wellbutrin? What is Buspar supposed to do for you?

What times of day do you take Lyrica?

Please put ALL your drugs in the Drug Interactions Checker https://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.php
and copy and paste the results in this topic.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi, Altostrata.

I should clarify that I wasn’t taking Pristiq and Lexapro together. Went off Lexapro in Nov to go n Pristiq. When I had to go off P 3 weeks later, doctor put me back on L for a week, I guess to ease off P.

ive been on Wellbutrin for a while. Started Buspar this year due to increased anxiety and decades of sleep problems.  Of all drugs, Buspar seems gentlest with no detectable side effects.

The complicating factor in all this is that my PCP put me on Lyrica for my fibromyalgia just as I was getting off Pristiq. Talked to psychiatrist yesterday who said my physical and emotional symptoms could be w/d from SSRI, or from starting Lyrica, or both. We decided I’d stop Lyrica and monitor to see if that eases anything. I did feel more in control emotionally today. Will see how it goes over next days. Don’t want to restart Lexapro unless I really need to.

Tomorrow is long travel day. Will take 2.5 or 5 mg Valium if I get too anxious.

thanks for your response!

Greetings JJ

I am so sorry for the situation you now find yourself in due to no fault of your own. And so glad you have found sa.

How did they come to the diagnosis of fibromyalgia? Is this just a sudden new thing or was it diagnosed prior to ads?

And Lyrica for fibro is outrageous.  That chemical has a shameful history of fraud and 'concocted studies ' attached to it.

I'm actually glad you stopped the lyrica (you might like to note this in your drug sig.) However  i'd take altos advice and try a small dose of lex because after what looks like at least 5 years of Lexapro addiction (with a prior 12 years of ad addiction) and now a CT off Lexapro  (and your pdoc calls that 'managing wdl'!?!..I wonder how she will manage what may unfold  over the next month or two ...maybe throw even more drugs and bigger doses at you ) imo you may be about to come up against full blown lexapro wdl symptoms. It  may not be pleasant. I have my doubts about the Wellbutrin and now increased buspar containing it. 

I know you say you don't want to take any lexapro but as you are going on holiday for x amount of time maybe you could consider putting some in your suitcase just in case.

Even though you are on holiday are you still able to check in here?

Glad you have found sa 

nz11

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Hi, Platinum Star.

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia many years ago, but it’s been worse in last year or two.

I haven’t yet decided to restart Lexapro, even at a small dose. Why is it good to do that?

My update is that I still feel crappy, but the physical stuff has subsided. Still emotionally very shaky, but a tad less so today. The jury is still out on whether stopping Lyrica might be the reason for a slight improvement.

I was surprised re your comments on Lyrica only because I thought it was specifically developed for fibromyalgia.

1 hour ago, JillianJ said:

I was surprised re your comments on Lyrica only because I thought it was specifically developed for fibromyalgia.

lyrica (pregabalin) was involved in one of the largest cases of academic fraud in history in which researcher Scott Reuben "concocted data  for 21 studies" related its use for pain management as reported in the new York times in 2009.

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Wow. Well I’m off the Lyrica now but still feel v irritable and down. However, physical symptoms have decreased. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to JillianJ: Introduction