Ausdad: Hi, advise needed

Ausdad

Hi all, I have been on AD’s for approximately 3 years. I have tried a lot of different meds in that time with varied success. Most recently I have switched straight up from 125mg of clomipramine to 100mg of notriptiline as all I wanted to do was sleep on the clompiramine though everything else was fine. After 5 days of the switch I have severe brain zaps, dizziness and horrible dreams which lead me to wake up in a state of panic. These withdrawal symptoms (at least I hope that’s what they are) have been going for 7 days now. Hoping I could get some advice as to how long these symptoms will last as I’m starting to think maybe I should revert back to the previous meds.

Currently on 100mg of notriptyline started feb 2018

125mg of clomipramine for 8 months

pristiq 300mg for 2 months

30mg of lexapro for approximately 18 months

Also, I have never had any bad symptoms when changing meds before. I have tried starting the new meds at a lower dose with a view to try to withdraw completely. Any help much appreciated 👍

• Moderator Emeritus

Ausdad -- Welcome to Surviving Antidepressants (SA)

Switching a medication -- even to one in the same class -- can cause withdrawal symptoms. Sadly no one can give you an accurate and reliable answer about how long the symptoms will last.  It sounds as if you've been on other neuro-psycho-active medications.  It sometimes happens that a person who has had previous uneventful switches all of a sudden has a strong reaction.  Please take that as a sign that your CNS (central nervous system) is now more sensitive than it was before and be very, very gentle with future dose and medication changes.

You *could* revert to the clomipramine. Many but not all people do experience reduction in symptoms after returning to a previous medication or dose.  If it does work for you, you probably won't see an improvement right way. It takes 4-7 days for these medications to reach steady state in your bloodstream. If you are going to switch back to clomipramine, sooner is usually better than later.

Depending on how the symptoms are affecting your life, you could also ride them out continuing to take noritriptyline. It's up to you.

Whatever you choose, please give yourself time for the symptoms to stabilize before making another change. Stable symptoms doesn't mean no symptoms or mild symptoms, just that they don't change much day-to-day.

For more information about why a drug or dose change can affect you, please check out these links:

How your brain responds to psychiatric drugs - aka "Brain remodeling"

Youtube video, 4 minutes: Healing from antidepressants.

A request: Would you summarize your history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly?

• Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years.
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016.
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses.
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs.
  • Link to Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

This is YOUR introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community. I hope you'll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation. I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but am glad that you found us.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• ChessieCat changed the title to Ausdad: Hi, advise needed

Thanks for the reply, I’ll create a sig and keep you posted.

i have an appointment with my GP today.

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

There are many symptoms which can arise, some which I don't think we realise are from withdrawal:

Dr Joseph Glenmullen's WD Symptoms Checklist

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Thanks for the links 👍

had as a meeting with my doc, he understands the withdrawal symptoms I’m experiencing. He suggested some Valium in the short term at night to help sleep and is doing a blood test to check my med levels.

he also understands I want to come off and I will make another appointment once these symptoms wear off to make a cessation plan. I’ll touch base here and see if it all makes sense. Thanks again for all the help.

Quick point, I have used Valium in the past but never heavily so I’m aware of its addictive nature. I’m only going to use it at night for a few days hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update, still really struggling.

Brain zaps are pretty much gone but I seem to be really angry all the time and I’m waking like 20 times a night in a state of panic. 

I het my bloods back soon hopefully

Hi Ausdad,

Sounds like you are getting some good suggestions here. I am popping by to say welcome and to offer support. I know panic very well. The Claire Weekes book - Hope and Help for yoor Nerves has helped me alot! Especially the FLOATING technique! 

-D

2001- Klonopin 0.125 mg.  2011- increase to 1 mg.  2018- increase to 1.5 mg. Taper 2023-2024. Taper complete!

2010- Trials of SSRI's, several.

2011- Saphris 5 mg. CT. 6/2017- retry Saphris 5 mg sublingual, begin taper August 2020 10% taper with scale, and final taper liquid sublingual, August 2019- taper complete!

2011- Geodon 20 mg. Begin taper Sept 2019. 10% liquid taper. 2020: December-5 mg. 2021: Jan-4.5mg. (held Feb.for vacation). March-4mg. Apr-3.6mg. May-3.2mg. June-2.8mg. (Held July for vacation). Aug-2.4mg. Sept.- 2.2mg. Oct. 2mg. Dec 2022 - Taper complete!

2011- Gabapentin 300 mg to present- 2020. Increase 2023 to 400mg.

2014- Vyvanse 20 mg, 2020- Vyvanse 5 mg. Increase August 2022 20mg. CT (unavailable) 4/2023

2016- Lithium 300 mg, June 2016 - FT.

2017- Cogentin 0.5 mg. June-August 2019- off Cogentin.

2018- Lamictal 300mg. Holding

2021 - Hydroxyzine 30mg. Holding.

2014 Omeprazole 20 mg and holding, Omega 3's/fish oil, Magnesium

Thanks DM.

another horrible night of dreams and waking in a panic. Not something I’ve ever experienced so really throwing me into a spin.

Not really sure what to do, I wish I had found this site earlier and not switched meds but started a gradual taper😿

Anyways I’ll soldier on as most of the other withdrawals are gone except the sleep issues. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Some people find Magnesium  helpful.  I have found that it helps to take the edge off my anxiety.  Try a small amount first to see how you react.  Also only make 1 change at a time so that you can make the connection if things worsen:  Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable  Keep Notes on Paper

Here are some topics which you might find helpful:

Sleep problems - that awful withdrawal insomnia

waking-with-panic-or-anxiety-managing-cortisol-spikes

Non-drug techniques to cope with emotional symptoms

Claire Weekes' Method of Recovering from a Sensitized Nervous System