KVH91: my story

KVH91

Hey there.

My name is kyle. I live in a small town in canada, I've been on 2 types of antidepressants. First was called pristiq (weined off no issues).

I am currently taking paxil 30mg. I've been on this for 4 years now and I'm really beginning to hate the side effects.

- I have constant sweaty feet ( drives me crazy, especially in the winter when they sweat and my feet get frozen so fast) 

- if i don't get up and get moving doing something in the morning i get super tired it turns into a brainfog type headache and feel depressed. The brainfog and depression in this state remind me of the feeling of paxil withdrawal that I experienced a couple years ago.

-hard time getting off, it's not impossible but takes alot of concentration.

-weight gain ( I'm not terribly overweight about 20 pounds I'd say)

- I feel as though they are causing me more depression than they're worth

Been doing some research on CBD oil and am hoping that one day when I'm off antidepressants I can transition to CBD oil. It sounds promising anyways ( I know I cant start the oil until I'm completely off the antidepressants)

Brief background

At the age of 7 or so I had another kid from school (a  Male "freind" ) sexual molest me. I never said anything and I grew up from there thinking alot of horrible things. It turned into self hate and horrible thoughts. Fast forward to 17 years old and I had my first small panic attacks after smoking weed. Then when I was 18/19  more followed after smoking weed. I quit the weed but the panic stayed. Went on pristiq and it helped was on it 2 years and but eventually was slowly getting the anxiety back.. weined off the pristiq and broke up with a long time gf moved away started a new job (bad idea) had a severe panic attack at new job, immediately quit moved back to home town got back with ex girlfriend. Wasnt working and slid into a serious depression followed by a panic attack that lasted 2 weeks, day in day out until I finally gave up and went to the doctor. Was put on paxil. Took 3 months to get back feeling well enough again to work again (hardly left the house. Scared the hell out of me)

Have been on paxil now 4 years. Broke up with the long time gf about 1.5 years ago now. Bought a house and am working with my family's company for 4 years now.

About 2 years back I tried to wein off the paxil. The doctor told me to go down to the 20mg for a month then the 10mg after that.... well that lasted about 3 days. 3 days of taking the 20mg and I felt like absolute hell (severe depression crazy brainfog, couldn't do anything but sit around) it scared me. Its somewhat scared me now to think about trying to come off them again but I honestly believe my quality of life will improve now. (I hope anyways) 

There's more to my story. This is a brief overview of where I am at this time. Feel free to ask questions. I am an open book. My concern is to feel better ! 

If you have similar storeys/experience like mine please comment!! Thanks for reading!!!

Pristiq - 2010 -2012 weined off no problem

Paxil 30mg - 2014- Present

- Went from 30 mg to 20mg , Aug 2016 terrible withdrawal. Back to 30mg

Jan 20th 2019, 27.5mg 

Feb 5th 2019, 25mg

Mar 1st 2019, 20mg

Terrible withdrawal.

June 1st reinstated 30mg - present

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, KVH91, and welcome to SA.

If I understand you correctly, you are currently on 30mg Paxil, which was your dose when you tried to wean off two years ago.  You reinstated to 30mg after 2 days at 20mg.  Correct?

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Please include the dates of your taper and the answers to my questions above.  Please keep your signature as simple and easy to read as possible.

It is great that you've come to us before you begin your taper so you can avoid repeating the bad experience you had last time.  At Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.  Some people may have to taper at a more conservative rate as they are sensitive to even the smallest drops.  The vast majority of doctors know nothing about withdrawal or slow tapering.  

I'm going to include several links to important information about tapering.  Please take your time reading them.

Withdrawal is what happened to you last time and is the result of going off the drug too quickly.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

Many members have found the non-drug techniques in the following links helpful while tapering.

As I said, doctors know nothing about withdrawal and will, as yours did, suggest a too-fast taper.  Here are some tips for talking with your doctor.

This is your introduction topic -- the place for you to ask questions, record symptoms, share your progress, and connect with other members of the SA community.  I hope you’ll find the information in the SA forums helpful for your situation.  I'm sorry that you are in the position that you need the information, but I am glad that you found us.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• SkyBlue changed the title to KVH91: New here , my story.
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kyle,

As you know from previous experience, you can run into difficulties by trying to cut your dose too quickly. We refer to this as a rapid taper. Most doctors use this approach because antidepressant withdrawal is not properly understood by the medical establishment. 

Usually people come here after the harm has been done. Their central nervous systems have become destabilised by a cold turkey or rapid taper. They are frightened and desperately seeking answers. But, because you have come here before your taper you should have a much easier time of it.

There is no need to be scared about coming off these drugs if you go about things the right way. By reducing your dosage nice and slowly you shouldn't really notice many symptoms at all. 

Please keep us updated on your progress and feel free to ask any questions you might have.

2001: 20mg paroxetine
2003-2014: Switched between 20mg citalopram and 10mg escitalopram with several failed CT's
2015: Jan/ Feb-very fast taper off citalopram; Mar/ Apr-crashed; 23 Apr-reinstated 5mg; 05 May-updosed to 10mg; 15 Jul-started taper; Aug-9.0mg; Sep-8.1mg; Oct-7.6mg; Nov-6.8mg; Dec-6.2mg
2016: Jan-5.7mg; Feb-5.2mg; Mar-5.0mg;  Apr-4.5mg; May-4.05mg; Jun-3.65mg; Jul-3.3mg; Aug-2.95mg; 04Sep-2.65mg; 25Sep-2.4mg; 23Oct-2.15mg; 13Nov-1.95mg; 04Dec-1.75mg; 25Dec-1.55mg.
2017: 08Jan-1.4mg; 22Jan-1.25mg; 12Feb-1.1mg; 26Feb-1.0mg; 05Mar-0.9mg; 15Mar-0.8mg; 22Mar-0.7mg; 02Apr-0.6; 09Apr-0.5mg; 16Apr-0.4mg; 23Apr-0.3; 03May-0.2mg; 10May-0.1mg

Finished taper 17 May 2017.

Read my success story

I am not a medical professional. The information I provide is not medical advice. If in doubt please consult with a qualified healthcare provider.

Thank you gridley and Dan998 ! I am a bit nervous about it because of the hell its caused me before when trying to get off them.

And yes gridley I tried to go down from 30mg to 20mg and 3 days in it hit me like a brick wall and i went back up to the 30mg and havnt tried to go down since. That was 2 years ago. 

I do know though currently I am not happy taking them and I suspect they have alot to do with it.

The cant sit still thing and the literal cold feet are my two biggest issues. If I sit around I get a headache/brainfog and depressed very similar to what it feels like to withdrawal even tho I havnt missed a dose or anything. I am really hoping some of those supplements help me. 

Jan 20th 2019, 27.5mg 

Feb 5th 2019, 25mg

Mar 1st 2019, 20mg

Terrible withdrawal.

• Administrator

Welcome, KV.

The sweating and weight gain are adverse effects from Paxil. Your system is sending up warning signals. You might consider our very gradual 10% taper to lower your drug burden slowly and give your nervous system some relief from the drug.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• ChessieCat changed the title to KVH91: my story
  • 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi KVH, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

1 hour ago, Carmie said:

Hi KVH, 

How are you doing?💚

Hey Carmie, well I'm actually doing well. Since posting this thread in June I have been going to a psychologist. Did some Emdr therapy also did some neurofeedback therapy. I was quite impressed with both in regards to processing emotional trauma. 

I went and got a marijuana prescription and have been using CBD oil. I have also been taking a cocktail of vitamin D, B6 Complex, omega 3, zinc, and recently a special blended vitamin by a Naturopath( st.john wort, rose hips, rhodiola, lemon balm, rosemary, gingko biloba) 

I started my taper 5 days ago now. My pharmacist didn't have 10mg tabs so he gave me 2 months of 20mg. I cut those in half to 10 mg in half to 5mg and in half to 2.5 mg.

I have been taking 27.5 mg since last Sunday the 20th.

The first day with the anxiety of just going down some was rough. I usually take it in the morning and by 2pm I was very spacey and had a headache, slight brain zaps. I took my blended vitamin that night as instructed by the naturopath. The next day I was feeling roughly the same with windows of mental clarity. The 3rd day was more clarity but still felt very weird.

4th and 5th now have been good I feel about normal. I am very proud of myself just getting to this point. I had alot of anxiety about the taper and tried to talk myself out of it a few times. It's not a good time yada yada.. well it's never a good time and by that rational I would stay on them forever.

Now I am feeling excited about getting off of them and seeing what emotionally aware unmedicated kyle is all about. I am however dreading the next drop which I hope to do soon. 

Thanks for asking :) i was really thinking I should come post here!

Jan 20th 2019, 27.5mg 

Feb 5th 2019, 25mg

Mar 1st 2019, 20mg

Terrible withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi KV and welcome back.

Please update your drug signature using the following format.   Keep it simple.  NO diagnoses or symptoms please - thank you.

• details for last 2 years - dates, ALL drugs, doses
  • summary for older than 2 years - just years and drug/s

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Kyle, 

Glad to hear you’re doing okay, and I hope all goes well with your continued tapering. I would be very careful about taking the recent mixture the naturopath gave you, the St John’s wort can cause problems. ChessieCat will send you a link. 

Could you please update your signature as well so we can see what you’ve actually been doing. Just press on the link above. Thanks. I’m glad you’re feeling optimistic about tapering. Just remember to go really slowly, no more than 10% a month, I taper around 5%.

Continue to post your journey on here, it’s good to journal your journey, whether good or bad. We all get there in the end, it’s just a long slow process. Wishing you all the best in your tapering💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• Moderator Emeritus

From st-johns-wort-hypericum-perforatum

On 6/24/2011 at 3:09 AM, Punarbhava said:

Taking Saint John's Wort with MAOI's, SSRI's, or other antidepressants can lead to a drastic overproduction of the neurotransmitter serotonin, which may be a life-threatening reaction. Serotonin syndrome, as it is known, can also be caused when Saint John's Wort is taken in conjunction with other natural serotonin-increasing supplements, such as tryptophan, kanna and 5-HTP.

Please research the symptoms of serotonin syndrome.  I have experienced mild serotonin toxicity when taking 100mg Pristiq.  My diastolic blood pressure increased, my heart would miss a beat every now and then, I had difficulty concentrating and felt agitated, I was sweating in the middle of winter and having 2 hours sleeps during the day even though I was sleeping through the night.

Members have experienced both good and bad results from cannabis-marijuana-thc-and-cbd-or-hemp-oil

The only supplements that SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish Oil.  Try a small amount, one at a time. 

Keep it Simple, Slow and Stable

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

• 10 months later...

Topic title before merging with original introduction topic:  Update, need advice.

Hey all,

My name is Kyle and I'm looking for a little advice, I just turned 28 years old  and I have been on paxil for 5.5 years. Reading back on my introduction and updates back in January I've had a bit of a slump and a rough ride to date.

I decided to try to wein off in Jan of 2018.

I was doing pretty well mentally had been seeing a physiologist for awhile, did some emdr therapy and released alot of pent up emotion about previous childhood trauma. I thought i was ready to come off. A Previous attempt had got me researching about withdrawal and i knew to go slow. I went to a Naturopath and was given all the usual suspects, omega 3, vit D, Zinc, B complex, bis Magnesium, adrenal support, and st.john wort.

I decided to start the taper late Jan, from 30mg to 27.5mg i survived that dip with a weeks worth of brain zaps and mental fog, then down to 25mg mid Feb. same deal brain fog and zaps and other odd ticks.

All while taking the recommended vitamins

At 25mg i started the st.john wort, i was feeling weird and spacey but was keeping busy. 

Went to the Naturopath and he convinced me to  drop to 20mg from the 25 mg as i was feeling Okay enough. He thought the st.john wort was helping.

Que the absolute exhaustion. It was like being hit by a truck. Couldn't get enough sleep,  wake up eyes burning, exhausted, no ambition to get out of bed. Very sore continued on the supliments. I slowly declined into depression and some anxiety attacks. Couldn't shake the low energy and the panic.

I hurt my lower back around this time. Was working in our shop and lifted something and my low back right hip side just let go. Spent around a week in Bed hardly moving. Eventually went on work leave because of the injury, physio and all that to get it feeling better. In all of this i was on the 20mg until around mid april I updosed to 22.5 mg because of the sheer exhaustion and depression, anxiety. It helped little and after some time i reinstated the 30mg paxil in June.

I felt defeated.

Rode the summer out felt a bit better, more energy but the panic and depression was lingering. Coming into winter is always a tough time for me. Less sun and more cold.

Now that winter is here I'm finding i have little energy to get out of bed, wake up eyes burning, usually still tired and somehow manage to get out of Bed. This is quite a change from how i have been the last 2 years previous. I went from working 10- 16 hours a day 6 days a week to hardly being able to get out of bed now and through my Tapper. It definitely has not been fun. 

I gave in and finally got into see a psychiatrist yestersay and he decided i should start on Trintellix 5mg for 2 weeks and up to 10mg thereafter. While still taking my Paxil 30mg. He said it's not a long term solution and ageeed with me that the best pill is No Pill. I was happy to have found some help as i was feeling quite hopeless for awhile now. Wondering if I'd ever get my energy back.

I've been reading reviews on trintellix and am not real confident that it's going to work. 

1. It's not recommended to be on other SSRI'S while taking it.

2. Some people have had Pancreatitis in the drug trials and that is something I've had before because of a mutation in one of the genes that is associated with cystic fibrosis that i have. If i drink alcohol i get pancreatitis because of this gene. I've spent 1 week in the hospital 3 seprate times when i was 16- 19 years old due to this gene causing pancreatitis from drinking alcohol.

3. I don't want another pharma addiction or a serotonin syndrome case. ( which i experienced a touch of about 3 weeks ago when stupidly deciding to add st.john wort into the mix when i was feeling low. It did boost my mood for a few days but after about a week my skin was crawling, panic, tingling, lots of emotions and crying)

Anyone have any advice from where to go from here. Feeling a bit stuck, fairly depressed a bit of anxiety and very tired.

Thanks in Advance peoples!

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Jan 20th 2019, 27.5mg 

Feb 5th 2019, 25mg

Mar 1st 2019, 20mg

Terrible withdrawal.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've merged your new topic with your original introduction topic.  Each member has only 1 introduction topic which keeps their history in one place.  It's the place to ask questions about your own situation and journal your progress.