RyanZ: Need help tapering off venlafaxine

RyanZ

Hello everyone my name is Ryan and I am 31 years old, and I have been on antidepressants since about the age of 15. My first anti-depressant experience was with Zoloft which I took for about six years at a maximum dosage of 100 mg. After a stressful life events it’s in the medication stop working so I was then switched to Cymbalta which I took for another six years at a maximum dosage of 60 mg. After another stressful life events occurred all of my symptoms return back for the second time and I was then placed on the combination of Effexor and clomipramine, Both dosed at 75 mg. 

I am originally from the East Coast, New York City to be exact, and about nine months ago my partner and I moved out to Seattle after I had completed my Masters degree to pursue a new job. Upon arriving to Seattle I looked for a new psychiatrist who would be willing to continue my medication regimen. Upon consultation with the psychiatrist he was convinced that I had ADHD so he convinced me, and I naïvely agreed with him, To try a new medication regimen. So he very quickly weaned me off the clomipramine, And started me on a stimulant called dextroamphetamine. I took the combination of dextroamphetamine and Effexor for a few weeks and then on Mother’s Day 2018 I was at work and had the worst panic attack I have ever had in my entire life. My panic attacks typically last for 10 to 20 minutes but this one lasted for well over two hours. I was dizzy, I was lightheaded, I felt as if I was going to pass out, which I actually did because of hyperventilation. I was having feelings of Losing my mind. I was sweating I was shaking and I was almost certain I was going to die. Since that day I had requested to be on a leave of absence from work which I have never done in the past, and I am still currently on that leave.  I return back to see that same psychiatrist and he decided to increase my Effexor to 150 mg, obviously I stop taking the stimulant, and he placed me on Klonopin 1 mg twice a day. After about two weeks on the higher dose of Effexor I was having horrific side effects such as insomnia, tremors, sweating, hallucinations, inability to focus, inability to concentrate, severe brain fog,  severe anxiety, severe depression, and more frequent panic attacks. 

So from there I decided to see a new psychiatrist who recognize that the side effects were due to the increased dose so I was titrated back down to 75 mg and I was slowly wean down on the Clonopin to my current dose of 0.25 mg twice a day. 

Because of this Trumatic experience that I went through I decided that I wanted to come off antidepressants altogether so about five weeks ago I cut my dose to 37.5 mg from 75 mg and instantly started feeling horrible withdrawal effects.  I had severe brain fog, I couldn’t concentrate or focus, I feel numb with my emotions, I have severe lightheadedness and dizziness which won’t go away, I have severe Agoura phobia, anxiety through the roof, and depression which typically was never a huge issue when I was back in New York City.  After about 3 1/2 weeks I’m 37.5 mg I was not seeing any improvement in my symptoms so I decided to reinstate back to 75 mg and that was about nine days ago. Since then I am still continuing to have horrible dizziness/lightheadedness, severe anxiety, severe brain fog, inability to focus or concentrate, Agoura phobia, depression, and every morning I wake up with horrible anxiety.

In reference to alternative therapies I have started seeing a naturopathic doc, And acupuncturist, a chiropractor. I have started doing meditation, journaling, changed my diet to completely alleviate gluten and dairy and I pretty much just stuck to fish as a protein source. I am taking supplements such as fish oils, vitamin B complex, CBD oil, and I’m also seeing a therapist. 

However all that I am doing I am not seeing the improvement happen at the rate that I want. I know this time is meant for me to work on myself, but the problem is I can’t stop worrying about work, my relationships, and just my current state of being. I Find it very difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel, many days I feel super hopeless but this is never going to go away and I’m going to feel like this for the rest of my life. I just want this all to go away and I want to return back to the way that I was. My goal is to eventually come off of all antidepressants and I know that it’s going to take time and I know that I’m going to be going through an uphill battle. I main decision to come off of antidepressants was Because even when I was feeling somewhat “normal” I was still having side effects of brain fog and difficulty focusing/concentrating, but not to the extent that it is right now.

I guess what I’m looking for our answers or maybe somebody who has gone through similar issues that I have and somebody who’s willing to tell me that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will eventually get through all this. 

Sorry again for the long post and I hope everybody has a blessed day! 

Ryan

2000 - 2006; Age 14 - 20: Zoloft, Max Dose 100mg. Doing Well

2006 - 2012; Age 20 - 26: Cymbalta, Max Dose 60mg. Doing Well

2012 - Jan 2018; Age 26 - 32: Effexor and Clomipramine, Max Dose 75mg on Both. Clonazepam PRN (used once every 2-3 months). Doing Well

Feb 2018 - Clomipramine was abruptly discontinued and started on Ritalin and Guanfacine, for supposed ADHD. Effexor Still 75mg. Clonazepam PRN (used 1-2 times monthly). ALL ISSUES BEGIN!!

May 2018 - HAD A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN! Effexor was increased to 150mg. Clonazepam increased to 0.75mg Twice Daily. All stimulants and Guanfacine discontinued.

June 2018 - Sept 2018 - Trialed multiple new drugs including Gabapentin for 6-8 weeks, Buspar for 8 weeks, Seroquel for 2 weeks, and a few others that I cant remember. Also Effexor was decreased to 75mg for 4 weeks, then to 37.5 for 4 weeks, both of which were not tolerated and placed back on 75mg by Sept 2018. Clonazepam continued at 0.75mg Twice daily with no relief.

Sept 2018 - Dec 2018 - Decided I needed to taper off clonazepam. Continued Effexor 75mg. Successfully tapered off clonazepam by Dec 23rd 2018.

Feb 2019 - Current - Decided to start to taper Effexor from 75mg. Have been tapering between 5%-15% every 4-6 weeks. Some tapers were held longer, others were a bit faster.

##On Dec 12th 2020, I contracted COVID-19 and on Dec 17th 2020, all my symptoms became exponentially worse##

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ryan, 

Welcome to SA. 

Please help us out by creating a "drug signature" using these instructions: https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/18343-please-put-your-withdrawal-history-in-your-signature/

This will help us see your current and recent dosages and changes at a glance.

Based on your post, it sounds like your nervous system has become sensitized to so many changes. It is possible to heal, and that is what this site is all about.

3 hours ago, RyanZ said:

My goal is to eventually come off of all antidepressants and I know that it’s going to take time and I know that I’m going to be going through an uphill battle. I main decision to come off of antidepressants was Because even when I was feeling somewhat “normal” I was still having side effects of brain fog and difficulty focusing/concentrating, but not to the extent that it is right now.

I'm glad you've identified a reason to come off ADs. Having a reason can really help guide us through.

3 hours ago, RyanZ said:

somebody who’s willing to tell me that there is light at the end of the tunnel and I will eventually get through all this

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and you will eventually get through all of this. Healing truly is possible. There are plenty of stories of people who have completely healed, and are doing better than ever, much better than on the drugs. It may take a while, but you will definitely get through it.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• Moderator Emeritus

I don't want to overwhelm you with links, but please familiarize yourself with the information in this thread, https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/7562-about-reinstating-and-stabilizing-to-reduce-withdrawal-symptoms/, most importantly the first post, written by Altostrata. 

It is likely that the recent change from 75mg to 37.5 mg was too much, as you found, and that your system is still getting settled from the change back up to 75mg. (The reinstatement thread talks about this.)

Additional thoughts: 

1. It sounds like you're taking really good care of yourself. Please include any supplements in your "signature"--sometimes in withdrawal, we are super sensitive to even mild supplements, but definitely to CBD and the types of supplements naturopathic doctors prescribe (I'm speaking from personal experience). How are you finding the acupuncture and therapy?

2. You weren't naïve to trust the psychiatrist. That is what every single person on this site did. You are in good company. Together, we will find freedom. 

3. You will not feel like this the rest of your life. I promise.

2020: After 18+ years (entire adult life) on Paxil, a dangerous doctor-led "taper" in 2015, and four years tapering off the last 1 mg thanks to SA and the Brassmonkey slide, 

I AM COMPLETELY FREE OF PAXIL! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! Forever.

2021: Began conservative, proper, CNS-respecting taper of Zoloft, led by the only expert on me -- me. Making own liquid. 5-10% plus holds.

2022: Holding on Zoloft for now. Current dose 47 mg. Hanging in, hanging on. Severe protracted PAWS, windows and waves. While I may not be doing "a lot" by outside standards, things are graaaaadually getting better

Yoga (gentle to medium); walks; daily breath practice; nutrition, fruits/veg; nature; water; EastEnders (lol); practicing self-compassion, self-care; boundaries; connection; allowing feelings; t r u s t ing that I, too, will heal. (--> may need to be reminded of this.)

"You are not alone, and this is not the end of your story." - Baylissa

• ChessieCat changed the title to RyanZ: My introductory post
  • 2 years later...
Hello Brave Warriors,

I am posting today solely because I am scared and afraid of doing anything quite frankly. I am afraid to make any changes and I am also afraid to NOT make any changes. So please be gentle but honest with me. I have been on various Antidepressants for about 20 years now.

I was on a combo of clomipramine 75mg and venlafaxine 75mg for many years (2014-present). About 3 years ago a provider stopped my clomipramine ABRUPTLY and trialed me on multiple drugs claiming I had ADHD (Antidepressants, anti-epileptic, anti anxiety, etc, ETC).

And since that day I have been in misery! They placed me on 1mg of Clonazepam for my extreme anxiety as well as trialing seroquel, buspar, gabapentin, and a few others.

I decided to stop being a hamster after about 6 months of that. I tapered myself off clonazepam in about 5 months which was very challenging to say the least.

And I only started tapering venlfaxine 2 years ago which was 3 months after i finished my clonazepam taper. I have been tapering very slowly by about 7% to 15% every 4-6 weeks. Some of them were much longer at 12-16 weeks.

And last 10 weeks after getting covid, it has been exponentially awful 😣

So not sure what next step to take at this point.....

Should I take more venlafaxine? Should I go back on clomipramine? Should I attempt the Prozac bridge?

My symptoms are so intense. Dizziness, Lightheadedness, Headaches, eye pain, SEVERE shaking, Severe anxiety/panic, Severe depression, Muscle weakness, Agoraphobia, INSOMNIA, fatigue, chest pain, palpitations, skipped heartbeats, shortness of breath, hot/cold flashes, cant focus/concentrate/pay attention, cant think, i have no emotions at all, depersonalization, derealization, i feel like i'm in a perpetual nightmare, GI upset, wishing i was better off dead. ETC....ETC.....ETC.....

I’m so scared with my already fragile state that it could make things worse or more unstable.

Please HELP!!! I'm truly desperate!

Thank you All in advance!
Edited by Erell

2012 - Jan 2018; Age 26 - 32: Effexor and Clomipramine, Max Dose 75mg on Both. Clonazepam PRN (used once every 2-3 months). Doing Well

Feb 2018 - Clomipramine was abruptly discontinued and started on Ritalin and Guanfacine, for supposed ADHD. Effexor Still 75mg. Clonazepam PRN (used 1-2 times monthly). ALL ISSUES BEGIN!!

May 2018 - HAD A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN! Effexor was increased to 150mg. Clonazepam increased to 0.75mg Twice Daily. All stimulants and Guanfacine discontinued.

June 2018 - Sept 2018 - Trialed multiple new drugs including Gabapentin for 6-8 weeks, Buspar for 8 weeks, Seroquel for 2 weeks, and a few others that I cant remember. Also Effexor was decreased to 75mg for 4 weeks, then to 37.5 for 4 weeks, both of which were not tolerated and placed back on 75mg by Sept 2018. Clonazepam continued at 0.75mg Twice daily with no relief.

Sept 2018 - Dec 2018 - Decided I needed to taper off clonazepam. Continued Effexor 75mg. Successfully tapered off clonazepam by Dec 23rd 2018.

Feb 2019 - Current - Decided to start to taper Effexor from 75mg. Have been tapering between 5%-15% every 4-6 weeks. Some tapers were held longer, others were a bit faster.

##On Dec 12th 2020, I contracted COVID-19 and on Dec 17th 2020, all my symptoms became exponentially worse##

• Erell changed the title to RyanZ : need help tapering off venlafaxine
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello RyanZ,

And welcome on SA. 

This site is run entirely by volunteer Administrators and Moderators, all have been through or going through withdrawal.

There are no commercial interests or influences  involved.

-》 Thank you for your signature. It really will help us to see all your history at a glance.

I'm not sure I understand everything:

- you said that you had tapered Klonopin but your signature say that you're currently taking Klonopin ?

- You also said that you started a Effexor taper, but your signature say that you're currently still taking 75mg?

- You also said that you stopped Clomipramine 3 years ago, and your signature says that you took it until 30 years old (you're now 31) ?

Can you please clarify your drug history and your tapers ? This will help us to give you the most accurate advice we can.

Please don't change anything until we understand better your drug history.

--》 When did you start your supplements ?

--》 Can you specify what you mean by "Ayurvedic", are you taking herbs ?

And I'm truly sorry for all you've been through. Psychiatrists don't realise how powerful these drugs are and don't have a clue about withdrawal.

Please hang in there because it really can get better ☀️

Again, welcome.

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

Sorry I will Update as soon as I can. I originally made this account a few years ago and have no updated since then.

Hello Erell,

I have fixed my signature to better explain what has been going on since the last time I posted.

I have been off all supplements for a while, but about 2 days ago i started Vit D3/K2 5000IU Daily, Fish Oils, and 5-MTHF 1mg daily.

I am currently not taking any herbs, but in the past I was taking ashwaghanda, rhodiola rosea, gotu kola, and a few others as prescribed by a ayurvedic naturopath.

Klonopin was tapered over about 5 months from Sept 2018 - Dec 2018

Currently Tapering Effexor. Am currently down to about 12 beads Twice per day or 24 beads per day.

I am currently 34 years old, and was abruptly taken off clomipramine in Feb of 2018, and thats when all my issues began.

Please give me some advice as I am losing my mind right now.

Current Symptoms:

Dizziness, Unstable Gait, Severe Brain Fog, Constant Fatigue, Sweating, severe Shaking (Tremors), Akasthesia, Lightheadedness, Insomnia, GI Issues, Nausea, Depersonalization/Derealization, Headaches, Palpitations, Chest pain/Discomfort, Severe Anxiety/Panic, Agoraphobia, Sensory Disturbances, Severe Depression/Suicidal thoughts, Disorientation, difficulty concentrating/focusing/paying attention, Eye Pain, Visual disturbances, Headaches, Migraines, Emotional Lability, Etc....

Thank you in advance!!

• manymoretodays changed the title to RyanZ: Need help tapering off venlafaxine
  • Moderator Emeritus
On 2/18/2021 at 4:27 PM, RyanZ said:

Currently Tapering Effexor. Am currently down to about 12 beads Twice per day or 24 beads per day.

Hi RyanZ,

I've got you all merged up to your original Introduction topic now.

Have been on Effexor(venlafaxine) only then, since 2018?

And then what dose are you currently taking?  Do you have an estimate in milligrams or mg, what your present daily dose is?

When did you last taper?

It's just not clear to me, from your signature and narratives.

It sounds like you've had a tough time since your Covid19 infection indeed.  Did all your symptoms just start up with Covid, or had they been present to some degree prior to that?  Your post from last Wednesday, is up above now, as is your original post 2018, August.  And it sounds like you just had to get off the merry-go-round of drugs.  And are pretty familiar with WD(withdrawal) syndrome now.  Like so many of us.

I sure wouldn't want to taper right now, if I were in your shoes. 

What's a day look like now?  Any non-drug coping practices that you are able to do?  Any that help?

Best, Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays(mmt)

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you for your reply and getting me all synced up.

2012 - Jan 2018; Age 26 - 32: Effexor and Clomipramine, Max Dose 75mg on Both.

I have been on Effexor since 2012 at the age of 26. I was put on both clomipramine and effexor at that time and the clomipramine was abruptly stopped in Jan 2018.

I am currently taking roughly 26mg of Effexor daily, in two split doses, 12 hours apart.

My last Taper was from 26 beads daily to 24 beads daily, at the end of september of 2020.

Symptoms got much worse after contracting COVID, however many of the were present prior to COVID as well, but much less intense. 

My days are not that exciting. I usiually wake up about 730-8am with shaking, anxiety, dizziness, and just a feeling of exhaustion. I eat some breakfast, watch TV, go for a walk, play a video games, have lunch, do some research, talk to friends/family, go for another walk, play with dog for a bit, have dinner, watch tv, play some more video games, then try to go to sleep by like 12 midnight.

I try to use some coping strategies like take a bath, meditation, walking, reading, cooking, drinking tea, etc. Some are more helpful than others.

Please advise on how to proceed, because i feel like im losing my marbles.

• Administrator

Hello, Ryan. When did you get covid, how long were you sick with covid? Are any of your symptoms new since you got covid?

You may be experiencing after-effects of covid. It probably would be best for you not to change Effexor for a while.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata It is truly a blessing and an honor that you responded to my post. I have seen and heard you on Mad in America and a few other platforms and am truly inspired by the work that you do. I hope to be able to do what you do for others once i am healed. if that ever happens....

I got my first symptoms of COVID on Dec 12th, and the worsening of my mental health symptoms (withdrawal symptoms) started on Dec 17th. I got better from COVID after about 2-3 weeks but the after effects are still very much with me. There are a few symptoms which are new such as palpitations upon standing, shortness of breath on mild exertion, inability to sleep, and worsening headaches to name a few. Many of the other symptoms are just exponentially exaggerated. My dizziness is worse, my anxiety/shaking is worse, my depersonalization/derealization is worse. The feelings of impending doom and hyper-vigilance is far worse.. I feel like im losing my mind and it could happen at any moment. I blankly stare off into space which is worse..

I am miserable, day in and day out, and it has gotten worse after COVID. I have not had an easy time tapering to begin with, but this really sent me in a tail spin that i was considering committing myself and even had horrific thoughts of hurting myself. I just want the torture to end, and get some relief.

My physicians have suggested a prozac bridge, or lamictal as medication options. Even topamax for migraine headaches as i started gettting them since started tapering. Could the effexor have been treating my migraines without me knowing?!?! They have also suggested TMS therapy or the Fisher Wallace Device.

I just dont know what the right option is, as i am deathly afraid of making things worse.

Please help as best you can...

THANK YOU FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART!!

Ryan

• Administrator

Are you taking any other drugs? Did you have pre-existing migraines? The headaches started after you reduced Effexor? Do they happen at any particular times of day?

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from Effexor.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I am currently taking fish oils and vit D3/K2. I take my medication in 2 divided doses every day at 1030am and 1030pm. My symptoms last pretty much all day. Mornings before medication usually the worst, then i take my meds, they get a little easier for about an hour, and then all day again they are awful. Evening times seem to be the best because i will smoke some marijuana and i know that the day is winding down and i dont have to face the world and i can go to sleep soon. 

My sleep for the most part is very bad...I can usually fall asleep ok, but cant stay asleep for more than 4-5 hours. and as soon as i see the sunlight, i know the day has begun and I instantly start to go into panic mode.

Heart racing, shaking, dizziness, chest discomfort, racing thoughts, etc, etc....