Amie: Prozac neg affects after increase & stopped w/o taper

Amie

I had been taking 10 mg of Prozac for about 4.5  years (Jan 2014-- Sept 2018) without any negative experience. Due to a pharmacy error my medicine was increased to 20 mg (Oct 2018)-I took for 1 month (unknowingly) but I did not take in Nov 2018 b/c felt uncomfortable on. Early Dec 2018 medicine prescription was increased to 40 mg (7 days at 30mg, then to 40mg). One month (Jan 2019) after the increase I developed hand tremors and noticed issues with cognition. The medicine was decreased to 30 mg (Jan 2019) and the tremors did cease. But continuing on 30 mg over the next 2 months (Feb-March 2019) the side effects still included cognitive issues- processing speed/retention/memory/following conversations AND in March I started to develop a strange headache/head pain/ heaviness in my head, neck stiffness,  global facial muscle tightness, a strain on my ability to read, food sensitivity. I had not had any of these symptoms prior to the increase.

At that point (end of March 2019) I wanted to discontinue Prozac. The doctor said I should try another SSRI and prescribed 25 mg of Zoloft (which I tried for 7 day--until early April 2019). I still preferred to discontinue with the meds. I did ask if tapering was necessary and I was informed no. I was told I did not need to worry. SO I DID STOP COLD TURKEY. I asked if symptoms would go away and I was told after stopping the medicine at most a month or two---I wouldn’t be experiencing anything.

It has now been 4 months since stopping medicine (cold turkey) and I am still experiencing several issues that started after the higher dosage—for example the headache/head pain (like a weightiness in my head), a constant stiff right neck and lower right head region, facial muscle tightness,  when speaking a tightness in the neck area and face feels tight, and a restrain on my ability to read (internally) whenever I try I feel head tension and tightness around eye muscles. It's like I experience a pressure/ tightness in back of head/ overall head & eyes when reading (internally) which affects pace/comprehension/retention and causes fatigue. Certain foods cause face to feel tight. And though some of the cognitive issues have improved, I still have some slower processing with certain things/ and the physical strain when reading. A new symptom that started shortly after stopping the medicine (off and on shock like feelings on the right side of my body that come and go randomly). Overall, the restrain on reading  affects my ability to pursue educational and career goals.  .

summary:

10 mg prozac for about 5 years (no adverse effects). Increased to 40 mg prozac Dec 2018 (negative), then decrease to 30 mg (Jan 2019). Remained at 30mg until end of March 2019 (still adverse affects). Zoloft for one week until April (still adverse). Last day on medicine April 1st, 2019. Stopped medicine cold turkey. No tapering schedule. 4 months out--still adverse effects.

At this point, I just want to get better.

Edited by ChessieCat
added space/font size

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

March 2019- stopped cold turkey

Augusts 2019-reinstated Prozac 10 mg/5 mg  (Negative reaction)

Stopped Augusts

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Amie.

What you are experiencing is withdrawal symptoms from your cold turkey of Prozac.  We recommend tapering very slowly, no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

Unfortunately, the vast majority of doctors, including psychiatrists, are abysmally ignorant of the necessity for slow tapering and don't even believe the withdrawal from antidepressants exists.  It's not your fault; you listened to your doctor.

So you have a better understanding of what you're experiencing here is some information of antidepressant withdrawal.  Withdrawal symptoms can take many, many forms, physical, mental and emotional.  The symptoms you describe are not unusual.  Many members report their reading abilities are impaired due to withdrawal.  Tight neck and head is a common symptom.  Certain foods previously well-tolerated now cause symptoms.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain it really well:

On 8/30/2011 at 2:28 PM,  Rhiannon said: 
When we stop taking the drug, we have a brain that has designed itself so that it works in the presence of the drug; now it can't work properly without the drug because it's designed itself so that the drug is part of its chemistry and structure. It's like a plant that has grown on a trellis; you can't just yank out the trellis and expect the plant to be okay. When the drug is removed, the remodeling process has to take place in reverse. SO--it's not a matter of just getting the drug out of your system and moving on. If it were that simple, none of us would be here. It's a matter of, as I describe it, having to grow a new brain. I believe this growing-a-new-brain happens throughout the taper process if the taper is slow enough. (If it's too fast, then there's not a lot of time for actually rebalancing things, and basically the brain is just pedaling fast trying to keep us alive.) It also continues to happen, probably for longer than the symptoms actually last, throughout the time of recovery after we are completely off the drug, which is why recovery takes so long.

Reinstatement of a very small dose of your previous drug is the only known way to alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  Reinstatement works most predictably when done within three months of your last dose.  At 4+ months, you're outside the window, so there's really no telling if it will work in your case.  You may prefer to wait it out.  There's no way to predict how long it will take for these symptoms to subside.  While some recover fairly quickly, for others it can take months or longer.

In case you want to consider reinstatement, here is some information so you can make an informed decision.  Please read:

About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms. -- at least the first page of the topic

Please do not reinstate without giving us the opportunity to suggest a dose.  It will be a very small dose.  Then after you stabilize on that dose, you can taper it down using the 10% method referred to above.

It's important to remain calm and not to panic.  You are not permanently damaged and will heal.  We strongly recommend the use of non-drug techniques to cope with withdrawal.  Please scroll through the topics in the following link to see which techniques you feel might be beneficial to you.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium (magnesium glycerinate is a good form) and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Please research all supplements first and only add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

While it is often a first response to stress to take a B-Complex, in withdrawal it can be overstimulating.

This is your Introductory topic, where you can ask questions, post updates and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley,

Thank you for responding.

Yes, I am interested in reinstatement. Does the reinstatement stage continues as long  as is necessary (for example it could be 1 months to  years) until I feel all withdrawal symptoms are clear?  For example, after reinstating back to say, 10 mg, am I to simply remain on that dose (for however long necessary) until the symptoms clear? Then at that point I start to do the 10% taper.  

At the point of taper, I would probably need the tablet form of the medicine to cut it. Would I request this from the pharmacy or would the doctor have to order?

Gridley, if have a very sour relationship with my healthcare psychiatry department (b/c they do not acknowledge the withdrawal symptoms)---what would you recommend in terms of how to communicate my intention for getting back on the medicine? Should I first try to look for someone familiar with tapering? Also, is there a way I can buy Prozac without a prescription? Also at this stage of reinstatement would it not matter who I worked with--but just first trying to get back on for the goal of stabilization?

Concerning reinstatement, what would be your suggestion of the lower dosage? I mention 10 mg because I didn't have any issues with it for all the years I was on it. And speaking really briefly with some random doctor they had mentioned 10 mg. But I do want to know yours and SA's suggestion.

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amie, and welcome to SA from me too. First let me assure you that you will get better. It will, however, take patience and time. 

With regard to your questions about reinstatement, we recommend only a tiny reinstatement amount to start. The reasons for this are threefold: (1) every dose change event - reducing, increasing, stopping, restarting, starting a new drug - has the cumulative effect of turning your nervous system into Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. You have made many such changes over the past 10 months, through no fault of your own, of course. Nevertheless, your brain and CNS are very highly sensitized at this point. (2) Since you have been completely off all psychiatric drugs for 4 months, your brain and CNS have already made some adjustments around no longer having the drug available. (3) If the reinstatement does not help, you will have only a small amount to taper.

If I were you, I would try a reinstatement dose of .5 (yes, one-half milligram) to start, and increase very gradually if needed. I know that sounds unbelievable, but these drugs are very powerful, and a little will go a very long way in a highly sensitized system. Reinstating at too high a dose could very well make things even worse. So start slow and steady. The same does at the same time daily. The brain craves stability.

With regard to your questions about dealing with your provider, most doctors know little to nothing about withdrawal from these drugs as you have already learned. I was stunned when I encountered my doctor's utter resistance and denial, and I quickly realized that it was futile to argue. I therefore adopted a "you win" attitude with her (which pleases her immensely). So, she thinks I'm doing just great on 37.5 mgs of zoloft. In reality, I'm currently at 26.25mg and making my own liquid from the pills she prescribes. All I need from her is the script. I know everything I need to know about tapering and withdrawal, courtesy of this wonderful site, and it's not my job to try and educate my doctor on medical issues. I've got my own battles to fight at the moment. 

So that's how I handle it. If you choose full disclosure with your provider, get ready to encounter some serious pushback. There is a link here on how to talk to your doctor about withdrawal. I will locate it and send it to you.

Again, welcome. We will be happy to answer any questions you may have. Sending you healing energy!

2016 - Zoloft 50 mg for klonopin w/d

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there

I was prescribed a 10mg capsul of Prozac.

My healthcare/org doesn't provide tablets or liquid forms of the medicine. 

I was wondering if you know how its possible to split a capsul, open and divide.

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

4 hours ago, Amie said:

Hi there

I was prescribed a 10mg capsul of Prozac.

My healthcare/org doesn't provide tablets or liquid forms of the medicine. 

I was wondering if you know how its possible to split a capsul, open and divide.

I've never heard of someone not being able to get Prozac liquid in the US. You can try a compounding pharmacy.

Hello SA,

I'm with Kiaser permenate. The doctor had just given me the wrong info. 

The doctor was just not wanting prescribe the liquid. He had told me the pharmacy didn't have tablets and then just ignored my question about the liquid. The pharmacy does have liquid but it would need to be requested by the doctor. His suggestion was that I cut the capsul. Anyways, right now that issue can be ignored because I was able to get the liquid-elsewhere.

SA, but I actually right now have a larger situation and issue right now that I need help.  Okay so I first admit (in retrospective I made a mistake). I took the advice from the doctor ( he's a neurologists) to try reinstate at 10 mg.  So I did. On August 15th I started taking the 10 mg. I did for about 5 days. Basically, while on things felt to have gotten worsts. Everything became more amplified--I was experiencing much more tightness in my face globally-just whole face feels rigid, much more tightness in my neck (the whole neck-front/back/side), a greater headache/headpain and more globally spread/ more defined. More tightness around eye region. My mouth, throat, my jaw feels tighter. The tightness/rigidity was more defined. I felt a stronger weight like feeling at the back center of my head. 

Originally, the  instruction was to be on it for one month. But, from what I was experiencing I knew maybe it wasn't good to continue at 10mg. The doctors next instruction was do 10mg ever other day or cut the pill in half and try that everyday.

So, next I went down to 5mg for about 3 days --and even though the tightness and things were not as severe as on 10mg, it's clear that still I was experiencing the more tightness and things-just overall still feeling worst.

The doctor wasn't willing to help after that. Basically it was clear to me now--he didn't really know much concerning this to begin. [ I'm realizing now---that there's so little knowledge in the medical community concerning these meds].

----------

Okay, I share all of that to say -----where I'm at now after 1 week and a half  (at 10mg and 5mg)   -------is yesterday I didn't take the medicine.  Overall, from having re-started to now--I do just feel more tightness than before/ not as good/ feel  kind of worst.    (I assume this may be kindling).  

I wanted to ask advice, your thought's/ opinions? What direction should I take?

Being that having gone back 1 week and a half --is there any way to help with the worsen symptoms. I really want to feel better than I did two weeks ago. Would stopping without a taper not be good? Or Is it better I stop. 

Or is reinstatement still an option, but doing it at the recommend dosage?

Ultimately, I still am open to reinstatement very low,  but right now I want to know what the best direction for me to go is considering the current situation and that I am feeling somewhat worst than I did 2 weeks ago. 

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

Please any ideas of what I should do next? (if indeed I experienced kindling and from what's you've seen from other's who may have had a similar experience)

----should I stop completely

--should I taper before I stop

---is there hope for reinstatement at say .5 mg 

Is what I experienced a sign of much more damage that could be perm or just a bad response that may level off?

And if reinstatement were to work--what should a person be experiencing vs not have experienced?

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

• Administrator
12 hours ago, Amie said:

So, next I went down to 5mg for about 3 days --and even though the tightness and things were not as severe as on 10mg, it's clear that still I was experiencing the more tightness and things-just overall still feeling worst.

Hello, Amie. When did you go down to 5mg? How do you feel now?

This topic explains how to make a liquid from a capsule Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

You should file a complaint with Kaiser about the doctor who refused to prescribe liquid so you could gradually titrate after experiencing withdrawal.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Altostrata,

I went down to 5 mg about 4 days ago. But I still was feeling a lot of tightness/ rigidity, much more uncomfortable (than before reinstating). So, I got the sense the 5 mg was still sort of too high.  So 2 days ago I stopped the medicine ( not sure if bests). Since stopping I'm not feeling the new layers of added discomfort. But overall, from having re-started to now--I do just feel more tightness than before/ not as good/still worst.        But I'm not sure if it's just because the reinstatement doses were too high. I do sense anything above 2 mg I may have a similar response.      

(Actually, I think there's a few things I've been thinking to file a complaint about--the pharmacy error with the original prescription, the increase in medicine in light off that error, the side effects, the lack of taper advice, the lack of support of symptoms.)--I've just been so timid and unconfident -based off of the doctors dismissal of my reality.

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

Hi,

The 5 mg still felt really bad. I think I experienced rekindling. 

So, I really just want to know, is it better I just stop the medicine. 

I don't know what direction to take. I don't want to do more damage but I also do not want to miss the window of reinstatement. But is the way my body has responded proof that reinstatement isn't going to work in my case.

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Amie, thanks for your message. I will respond here in your thread.

Once your system has been destabilized by CT, it's anybody's guess how you will respond to reinstating. As you now know, 10mg and even 5 mg were too much, and as predicted, sent your CNS into chaos. And since you have now stopped taking prozac again altogether, that's yet another major change, and your poor brain doesn't know what has hit it from all the chopping and changing.

I would not just assume that reinstatement isn't going to work. You haven't really given it a fair shot. Your reinststement dose was way too high, and now, you've gone completely in the opposite direction by stopping. Honestly, I would be surprised if you were NOT having symptoms at this point.

Where to go from here? Nowhere fast, that's for sure. If I were you, I would still try reinstating at.5 mg. Do not expect quick results. Your system needs time to settle. You can help it by staying steady and not jumping around on dosage and taking it at the same time each day. 

I did a much-too-fast taper from sertraline. When I crashed a month later, I immediately reinstated, which was the right thing to do. When that did not miraculously cure me, I started adjusting my dose up and down, which was the wrong thing to do. I was essentially bedbound for 4 months. When I decided to heed the advice I got here and stay steady on one dose, I began to see improvement. Now, 6 months later, I am functional and close to being stable enough to start my taper. The key is to keep it steady. 

Bottom line: we've all made mistakes, but all are fixable. They may set you back, but they are ultimately fixable. You need time for your system to settle, and going from one extreme to the other (10mgs to zero) is not going to accomplish that.

Please let us know what you plan to do. Either way, we are here to support and assist any way we can. If you decide to stay off prozac completely, that's up to you, but please realize that things might get worse before they get better, and you will just have to ride your symptoms out until they go away. Unfortunately, no one can tell you how long that will be. Everyone is different. But your best shot to avoid protracted withdrawal is reinstatement. 

Edited by Dejavu

Approx. Nov 2017 - successful taper of klonopin; Approx. Jan. 2018 - rapid taper Zoloft over 2 wks - no w/d symptoms; May 2018 - Reinstate 50 mg Zoloft per doctor; Aug 2018 - Rapid taper Zoloft over 3-4 weeks - no w/d symptoms for 1 mo.; Late Oct 2018 - pdoc rx'd 5mg lexapro -took for 1 wk; Early Nov 2018 - Reinstate 25 mg Zoloft; updose to 37.5 on Nov 28, 2018; Nov 30 2018 - returned to 25mg Zoloft upon mod. advice; Dec 9 - Dec10 2018 - 12.5mg zoloft liquid+12.5mg zoloft pill; Dec 11 2018 - 25mg zoloft all liquid; Feb 14 2019 - updosed to 26.25 mg liquid; Mar 6 2019 - updosed to 26.88 mg liquid - new symptoms; Mar 13 2019 - back down to 26.25 mg per mod suggestion

Dose Changes: Dec 2 2019 - 5% to 25mg; Jan 14 2020 - 10% to 22.5 (increase in sxs all month); Mar 10-15? 2020,  accidental updose to 25mg; Mar 22 2020 - back down to 22.5mg; Apr 12 2020 - 2.5% to 21.94mg; Apr 19 2020 - 2.5% to 21.375mg (symptom increase); May 17 2020 - 2.5% to 20.625mg; May 24 2020 - 2.5% to 20.1mg - Jun 14 2020 - noticed uptick in symptoms settled 2 days later - July 10 2020 - onset of wave

3 hours ago, Gridley said:

Please post this in your topic so other mods can see.  This is important.  

It appears that you you have reinstated too high, not that reinstatement isn't going to work.   That is very probably the cause of your bad reaction.  

The window of reinstatement is not firm.  Four months off is not ideal (reinstatement works most predictably within 3 months, but four months is possible.)  It is your decision whether or not to RI.  If you don't, you will need to wait it out until you stabilize.  For some this happens fairly quickly, while for others it can take months or longer.

I would recommend that you reinstate at 1 mg and see how the works.  Please keep us updated on how you're doing. 

The damage is not permanent.  What we are after now is getting you stabilized on a low reinstatement dosage.

Again, please continue this conversation on your thread with @Gridley so I don't miss it it.

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

• Moderator Emeritus

Amie, I recommended .5mg reinstatement and Gridley recommended 1mg. Please follow Gridley's suggestion, as he is more experienced and has seen more of these situations than I have. Sorry for the confusion. 

Dejavu, 

what device (pipet) do you use to measure out 0.001 L 

Also, do all the liquid forms of Prozac contain alcohol. (is that safe). 

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

Hi Gridley,

1) My history is I was on the Prozac Jan 2014-March 25, 2019. There was one week 3/25/2019-4/1/19 that I took Zoloft. Could that one week on zolft have also contributed to withdrawl symptoms? And when reinstating would Zolft need to be considered or just Prozac?

2) I wanted to clarify---actually my time off the medicine has been closer to going 5 months (3/25/19 stopped Prozac then 4/1/19 stopped Zoloft.  I shared 4 months in the message. If 5 months, would your recommendation change?

3) I noticed that the liquid form of Prozac contains 0.23% of alcohol. Is that dangerous for the body or something to be of concerned with. Do all liquid prozacs  have this alchol. Is this something I should not worry about? Is it much more important I have the liquid to work with

4) Gridley is 1 mg equivalent to 0.001 mL? The pipets I have the lowest line is 1 mL, so

I have no idea what measuring device (pipet) I should (or am able) to use to measure out 1 mg of Prozac liquid. 

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, Amie said:

1) My history is I was on the Prozac Jan 2014-March 25, 2019

1.  You were only on the Zoloft for a week, so it wouldn't need to be taken into consideration in your reinstatement, just the Prozac.  

2.  Reinstatement is unpredictable and sometimes risky after the three-month window.  The farther out from three months, the more unpredictable the possibility of success.  It is a hard decision only you can make.

3.  That small amount of liquid should present no problem.  It's not essential to use the liquid, though it is a popular method of tapering among our members.  You can weigh powder from capsules as explained in this link: Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine) 

4.  I've never used liquid so can't answer your question #4.  One of our members experienced with liquids would be in a better position to help you hear.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

5 hours ago, Amie said:

4) Gridley is 1 mg equivalent to 0.001 mL? The pipets I have the lowest line is 1 mL, so

I have no idea what measuring device (pipet) I should (or am able) to use to measure out 1 mg of Prozac liquid. 

Hello Amie,

I am using a liquid form of duloxetine (never do this with duloxetine) - so I can make a few comments, which I hope may be helpful.

Using the measurements, converting MG to ML (if this is what you are trying to do), knowing what size syringe to use, etc. I found very confusing. The best resource for me was the pharmacist or a good technician at the pharmacy. I called the pharmacy many times with questions about making calculations (mg to ml), and questions about how much to fill each syringe with (for example). I also went in person with medication and syringes for help.

To figure out how MG correspond to ML - you need to know how the prescription is written I think. For example, mine is written as 15 mg/ 5 ml (where .67 ml = 2 mg). I would take this information from your medication bottle (or better bring the medication with the script) to the pharmacist so they can assist.

It's really an important question and one to get the right answer to. The pharmacist or pharm tech is the best person to answer.

G.

The Prozac liquid from your pharmacy is 20mg/5ml. So if you want to take 1mg of the liquid that is equal to .25ml

A 1ml syringe is the easiest way to measure small liquid doses in my opinion. You can get from the pharmacy as well.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/29/2019 at 6:41 PM, KMart95 said:

A 1ml syringe is the easiest way to measure small liquid doses in my opinion. You can get from the pharmacy as well.

This is how I do it. You can also order various sizes of syringes from Amazon.

Do you plan to reinstate?

Edited by Dejavu

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Please read Post #1 of this topic:  About reinstating and stabilizing to reduce withdrawal symptoms

If you wish to reinstate we can suggest a dose for you to try.  Please let us know.

This topic explains how to make a liquid from a capsule Tips for tapering off Prozac (fluoxetine)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Administrator

Hi, Amie. What I was trying to figure out is if you felt better at any time while your recent experiment with Prozac was wearing off.

Please don't do anything before answering this!

Also, prior to trying a little Prozac in August, what was your symptom pattern? What is your symptom pattern now?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• 2 weeks later...

[Hi, Amie. What I was trying to figure out is if you felt better at any time while your recent experiment with Prozac was wearing off.

Please don't do anything before answering this!]

So it's been 1 month since I stopped the experiment (with the 10mg and 5 mg.)  So, the answer is kind of hard for me to express---

I do not feel as bad as while I was taking it and early on but overall I am still feeling (worst) than before the experiment. 

Generally, I'm feeling new layers of added discomfort--that were not like that before the experiment.

Also, prior to trying a little Prozac in August, what was your symptom pattern? What is your symptom pattern now?

Prior to trying a little Prozac in Augusts----symptoms were global facial muscle tightness, rigid neck muscle/ head pain, shocklike feelings/ nerve pain, food sensitivity- which

aggravates headpain and facial muscles. Also the tightness in the face causes a strain on reading ability/ like the muscles around the eye are very rigid.

The symptom pattern now is---the facial muscles became significantly more rigid, more tight, there's more of a spread of headpain/ stiff neck. My whole head just feels heavier/ weigther. I still have nerve pain and food sensitivity.

But the main problem is there's an added discomfort/pain to the face and head muscle. I feel more rigidity when moving the face, talking, singing, and trying to read. Just overall more discomfort. 

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

Altostrata, 

I've been wanting to file a  grievance with Kaiser. I believe there was a pharmacy error that then contributed to a further increase made by a doctor, which then led to everything that has occurred since.

I am in the Sacramento area. I wanted to know if you are aware of any lawyers or legal persons around the area or bay who are sensitive to the reality of the psc meds who would be willing to assist or help me as I'm trying to put information together before submitting. And it would be nice to know if there are any lawyers/ legal aid persons who are willing to help with these situations involving the psc meds.

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

I have a question Bc I'm really afraid and unsure what's bests. In March 2019 I had stopped cold Prozac at 30mg. (My history is I had been on 10 mg 2014-2018. Medicine was increased to 40 mg Dec 2018. I started having a negative experience, went down to 3Omg ...issues cont-stopped March). So after stopping 5 months,  I tried to reinstate August back at 10 mg i had a really bad reaction at 10 mg and 5 mg. The symptoms I was experiencing really aggravated ( a lot of facial rigidity, neck rigidity pain, head pain, a rigidity around my eyes- which makes reading difficult.)

My dilemma is i want to feel better in the long term- and so there's a part of me that doesnt want to miss maybe the opportunity to reinstate, but I also fear my bodies response to a dose I use to tolerate.. being unable to take. It's like I was more sensitive now. I worrry if this means taking anymore medicine will do more harm.  moderators mentioned I could try a 1 mg reinstatement. I still just dont know whats bests. 

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

• 2 weeks later...

[Hi, Amie. What I was trying to figure out is if you felt better at any time while your recent experiment with Prozac was wearing off.

So it's been 1 month & half  since I stopped the experiment (with the 10mg and 5 mg.) I do feel a little better.

I do not feel as bad as while I was taking it and early on but overall I am still feeling ( more effects) than before the experiment. 

Generally, I'm feeling more layers of added discomfort--that were not like that before the experiment.

Prior to trying a little Prozac in Augusts----symptoms were global facial muscle tightness, rigid neck muscle/ head pain, shocklike feelings/ nerve pain, food sensitivity- which

aggravates headpain and facial muscles. Also the tightness in the face causes difficulty on reading ability/ like the muscles around the eye are very rigid. The muscles just felt abnormal. (the muscle reality was constant-24/7)

The symptom pattern now is---the facial muscles are much more rigid, more tight, there's more of a spread of headpain/ stiff neck. My head just feels heavier/ weigther. I still have nerve pain and food sensitivity (which really aggravates the  head and face muscles).

But the main thing is there's an added discomfort/pain to the face and head muscle. I feel more rigidity when moving the face, talking, singing, and trying to read. The muscles feel abnormal. And it remains constant 24/7.

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

Hi Amie.

It may help to hyperlink when you’re trying to reach @Altostrata or a moderator like @Gridley🌷

1997 Prozac ?mg

1991 Sertraline ?mg

2002 Escitalopram 10 mg

2018 2.5 mg - stopped by Dr./Reinstated, up-dosed to 7.5 mg

04/19 Began BM slide @7.5 mg

CURRENT  0.32 mg 🌼

"If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth."

Mark 9:23

@Altostrata

So it's been 1 month & half  since I stopped the experiment (with the 10mg and 5 mg.)

I do not feel as bad as while I was taking it and early on but overall I am still feeling ( more effects/worst) than before the experiment. 

Generally, I'm feeling more layers of added discomfort--that were not like that before the experiment.

Prior to trying a little Prozac in Augusts----symptoms were global facial muscle tightness, rigid neck muscle/ head pain,  nerve pain (sometimes), food sensitivity- which additionally

aggravates headpain and facial muscles. Also the tightness in the face causes difficulty on reading ability/ like the muscles around the eye are very rigid. The muscles just felt abnormal. (the muscle reality was constant-24/7)

The symptom pattern now is---the facial muscles are much more rigid, more tight, there's more of a spread of headpain/ stiff neck. My head just feels heavier/ weigther. I still have nerve pain and food sensitivity (which a aggravates the  head and face muscles).

But the main thing is there's an added discomfort/pain to the face and head muscle. I feel more rigidity when moving the face, talking, singing, and trying to read. The face muscles feel abnormal. And it remains constant-24/7

Honestly, also I've been wondering if its possible im experiencing a kind of dysonia?

10 mg Prozac 2014-2018

40 mg Dec 2018

Stopped Augusts

• Administrator
On 9/30/2019 at 8:13 AM, Amie said:

Altostrata, 

I've been wanting to file a  grievance with Kaiser. I believe there was a pharmacy error that then contributed to a further increase made by a doctor, which then led to everything that has occurred since.

I am in the Sacramento area. I wanted to know if you are aware of any lawyers or legal persons around the area or bay who are sensitive to the reality of the psc meds who would be willing to assist or help me as I'm trying to put information together before submitting. And it would be nice to know if there are any lawyers/ legal aid persons who are willing to help with these situations involving the psc meds.

I'm sorry, I don't know of attorneys to recommend who would take this on. I suggest you start with the Kaiser complaint process first.

Have you tried acupuncture for the tight muscle feelings?

When we talk about reinstatement for people in your situation, we generally suggest 0.5mg-1mg Prozac to start. It may be that too-high dosage has triggered increased symptoms.

• 10 months later...
  • Administrator

Hello, @Amie, how are you doing?