sunnysideup69: what can I do to stabilise on venlafaxine

sunnysideup69

@Gridley and lovely friends, some moral support requested.

Am feeling really frustrated today. After feeling like I had really settled in January, the beginning of February until now has been windows and waves again. We received the news that my brother's cancer is terminal at the beginning of February and it was the general shock of that which triggered the first wave. Have had a bit of time feeling WD normal since then, but since Sunday have been back in another wave.

Main symptoms are heightened anxiety, feelings of hopelessness. GI pain. Random bouts of crying which are sudden. Intense dreaming.

Just need some reassurance that, given the circumstances, this is normal and will pass again. I have that old 'underlying illness' thing niggling away....having been brainwashed by pharma.....but I refuse to add more drugs. Am still holding. Will be 7 months after switching to Venlafaxine, soon. So frustrating that in January I had turned the corner.

I know really it's a setback and that my nervous system will recover again but, as you can imagine, my WD brain is telling me otherwise.

Trying to hold down a job, stabilise and cope with imminent bereavement is stretching me a bit at the moment.

Please send hugs and wisdom because I can't locate mine at the moment.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

2 minutes ago, sunnysideup69 said:

@Gridley and lovely friends, some moral support requested.

Am feeling really frustrated today. After feeling like I had really settled in January, the beginning of February until now has been windows and waves again. We received the news that my brother's cancer is terminal at the beginning of February and it was the general shock of that which triggered the first wave. Have had a bit of time feeling WD normal since then, but since Sunday have been back in another wave.

Main symptoms are heightened anxiety, feelings of hopelessness. GI pain. Random bouts of crying which are sudden. Intense dreaming.

Just need some reassurance that, given the circumstances, this is normal and will pass again. I have that old 'underlying illness' thing niggling away....having been brainwashed by pharma.....but I refuse to add more drugs. Am still holding. Will be 7 months after switching to Venlafaxine, soon. So frustrating that in January I had turned the corner.

I know really it's a setback and that my nervous system will recover again but, as you can imagine, my WD brain is telling me otherwise.

Trying to hold down a job, stabilise and cope with imminent bereavement is stretching me a bit at the moment.

Please send hugs and wisdom because I can't locate mine at the moment.

Hi Sunny,

Sending you BIG hugs and more wisdom.

You're doing amazingly well, be kind to yourself through all this.

TC,

JC

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

Thanks @Junglechicken,

Had to take the day out of work today, feeling so rough. Hope this wave passes soon.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

4 minutes ago, sunnysideup69 said:

Thanks @Junglechicken,

Had to take the day out of work today, feeling so rough. Hope this wave passes soon.

I know how you feel, these waves can't pass soon enough.

Being at work is an additional stress factor, so glad you're not there today.

Take care

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

6 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

Am feeling really frustrated today. After feeling like I had really settled in January, the beginning of February until now has been windows and waves again

Hello Sweetie,

I am so sorry about your frustration and feel it too. I feel like crying after I've have a 'relapse' from a window into a 'wave.'  Sometimes I think I need a good washing (bad pun). Like you mention at the end of your message - you have a LOT of stress wtih imminent bereavement, job, and ongoing WD.

This is going to pass. It is frustrating. There is crying. Moods up and down (mine this morning since getting up and now 4 hours later feeling better). Anger at pharma for crimes against humanity (truly!).

If you can - maybe some exercise.

Hugs

G

Thanks @Giulietta, just finding it frustrating that my nervous system is so jangled by these dam drugs. 

Went out for a 5k walk. Being kind to self and not running until I'm out of this wave...I think running depletes me further when I'm already struggling.

Called in sick to work, said I had a stomach bug. I do. I'm 'sick' of working when feeling crap ;) This wave started last Saturday, after my first week back at work since my brother's diagnosis.

It's disheartening to be feeling so unwell again. Thank you for reminding me it is going to pass.I find it hard to remember I'm in WD sometimes and I just freak out that I'm going backwards. I did actually have a couple of weeks in February of feeling WD normal, but obviously it has been a really trying time.

I told some colleagues at work about my brother's diagnosis and they all come out with this 'stay strong' claptrap, it annoys me so much. I know they mean well, don't wanna be totally ungenerous. 

After my walk I had a huge cry, I think hat has helped me a bit. Feel totally unmotivated to do anything else today.

Good morning, survivors. Doing a weekly check in. 

First, the POSITIVE side... a good friend who recently also lost her brother to brain cancer got in touch and said I could give her a call. I'm going to call her today.She went through a lot of anxiety/ depression at the end of last year, will be good to chat with her.

I managed two days of work but had to take Friday off.

Sugar is out of my diet again, I was eating a lot of it in the latter two weeks of February and I don't think it has helped me remain stable. (Thinking about it, cutting it out has probably also caused my crash this week a bit, as I think I was using the sugar for energy....)

Yesterday, I called the GP surgery and made an appointment to see the counsellor. There's no appointment until March 17th, but I'll give it a go anyway. It's free and so there's nothing to lose.

Well, yesterday was the worst day in a good long while. I last had a day like that back in December, so, that's something to be grateful for, that there has been a lessening of symptoms. However it also made me despair that I've totally slipped backwards. This morning, although my sleep was a bit disturbed and I woke with palpitations, I do think my mood is a bit brighter. A tiny bit.

Yesterday I felt totally hopeless about life, what's the point if I am going to be stuck in WD forever, etc., and really anxious about totally random things.Miserable generally. Managed to get out for a long, head-clearing walk, but felt really rubber - legged afterwards. It was a sunny day and that really p***ed me off - how dare it be sunny when there is so much suffering in the world?

As soon as I got home from walking, I burst into tears and absolutely sobbed in frustration at how crap I'm feeling again and how awful I feel for my brother. Crying actually brought some relief. I've felt on the verge of tears a few times this week, but I think my ability to let go and have a really good sob is suppressed somewhat by the Venlafaxine.

Symptoms yesterday and this week; heightened anxiety, around 3/4; dizziness, especially in the morning; wild dreams and broken sleep in the early hours (but still getting about 7 hours sleep, thankfully); GI symptoms, bloating and pain in stomach (the pain is quite new, started two weeks ago....used to get it a LOT in the early days of Citalopram in 2008); spots are still popping up; really tense and sore muscles; depressive thoughts of doom and gloom; ruminating and 'fortune telling'; absolutely exhausted by nearly everything. I'm also back in my little clam shell, not wanting to see or talk to anybody.

Much dreaming about water. As a therapist, I'm really interested in dreams. Water symbolises emotion, which is pretty apt at the moment. In one dream, I had to cross a vast chasm of water. The person in front of me sank and was carried away by some unnamed terror. However, I made it successfully across without drowning. In last night's dream, I was in Venice, I believe. I was in the water, sometimes swimming and sometimes in my own little boat. 

Neuroemotions are so weird, aren't they?

I woke in a slightly brighter mood this morning. It's feeling quite Spring like in London today. Took myself out grocery shopping to Sainsburys - a big UK chain - was fine on the way there and mid shopping had a twenty minute wave of existential crisis. Even seems quite funny now, typing about it. I just looked at everyone in the store and felt really depressed.

Why do these neuroemotions happen, does anyone know? This is how I KNOW that I'm in antidepressant WD.....it feels totally weird, like I've been taken over by something else.

Still in this wave. Day seven now. Bored of it already. Wanted to visit my brother this weekend but just don't have the emotional energy for it. Will have to be in a couple of weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus
On 3/6/2020 at 3:16 AM, sunnysideup69 said:

Just need some reassurance that, given the circumstances, this is normal and will pass again

That is very tough news that you received.  You knew what was going to happen, but when there's a time definite put on it, it intensifies every.  What you're experiencing is absolutely normal when you receive a shock like this in WD and, yes, things will stabilize again.  

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

11 hours ago, Gridley said:

That is very tough news that you received.  You knew what was going to happen, but when there's a time definite put on it, it intensifies every.  What you're experiencing is absolutely normal when you receive a shock like this in WD and, yes, things will stabilize again.  

@Gridley Thank you , just couldn't get my head back on straight last week. When you've not really had a wave for a while, they can come as a bit of a shock...thank you. As it happens, after about 11am yesterday, the day was pretty good. I'm just gonna have to accept that I may be temporarily in for a few more bumps at the moment.

Hope your trip to the big city went well, that you got some good food. I'll bet the pups are happy to see you again :) 

• Moderator Emeritus
5 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

'll bet the pups are happy to see you again

Glad you're doing better.

They were thrilled and all is back to normal.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

7 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

As it happens, after about 11am yesterday, the day was pretty good. I'm just gonna have to accept that I may be temporarily in for a few more bumps at the moment.

Hello Sunny!

I don't understand neuroemotions either - but they come and go - knowing they will go helps me 'accept them.' I undestand about being in the grocery store. I've been there and nothing feels right. I can't wait to leave. I don't know if you experience that either.  Smaller stores are much better - where I can interact with people who are somewhat friendly.

Bumpy roads sound like those in my town - a lot of pot holes...LOL

Hug,

G.

17 hours ago, Gridley said:

Glad you're doing better.

They were thrilled and all is back to normal.  

Well, it didn't last for long. Now 9 days into this wave. Mostly, just feeling exhausted, more anxious and more depressed. I do have chunks in the day of feeling okay.Sometimes, quite a large part of the day. I seem to be back nto the pattern of early waking and heightened cortisol/anxiety in the morning, which gradually improves as the day progresses.

Main thing is, @Gridley, I have been scaring myself with thoughts that the Venlafaxine has 'stopped working.' Logically, I know this can't be true, as I had only just stabilised in January. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have pooped out already? As you say, all this re my brother has been a huge shock to the system, one that is already trying to cope with stabilisation and holding down a job at the same time.

God, I hope I can stabilise again. This is trying my patience.

Talking of jobs, I decided yesterday to get my GP to sign me out for the next week as I'm feeling so rough again. I hate taking time out and it worries me, as I really want to hang onto my job, but I have to put my mental wellbeing first. Work is an added stress at the moment and I just need to ease the pressure for a bit, to help me to restabilise a bit.

Another thing I was wondering, @Gridley, was that prior to this wave beginning, I'm afraid I had been laying into the sweet and sugary food in February...I think it was giving me a bit of comfort. When I crashed again last weekend, I stopped it. Is it possible that the sugary binge set off the wave...and stopping again?

I hope you're doing well after your medication cut. I just read about your Ativan shortage...lord, as if it weren't difficult enough, this journey, medication shortages have to be thrown into the mix! I'm glad you have a stockpile, though.That's a really good idea and something I need to think about with the Venlafaxine brand.

Well, it's a bit of a high anxiety day again. I'm a bit bored of it now. I was anxious right from getting up and deciding to take the week out of work, was worried about the response but they've been okay. I've been trying to struggle on, deal with WD, deal with family news and I'm just exhausted, it will give me time to catch my breath a bit.

Made a decision today that I might get some therapy / counselling over the next couple of months. I just about have the funds. There is absolutely no way I am going back to the GP and so I need to find myself some emotional 'holding', really, in the absence of a partner. I've found someone local, spoken to her on the phone today and am seeing her for an initial session tomorrow. 

Have tested her out a bit already because I told her I'm going through antidepressant WD, explained the situation. And obviously told her about brother's diagnosis, but made sure she understood that the diagnosis has kicked off a wave. We'll see how receptive she is to this, tomorrow. Anyway, she sounds quite holistic, I asked her how she works and she said she works holistically with body/mind /spirit. Also, she asked me if I practised yoga or mindfulness, so I like the sound of her.

Okay, today I feel calmer. Yesterday was a mental s**tstorm and I just had to surrender to it, sat on the couch most of the day, shaking. Eventually got myself out for a 5k walk. Am hoping to be able to resume some very slow jogging tomorrow.

I hope this wave is now easing. Not having the pressure of going to work this week is helping a bit, I think.

Weather is a bit naff today, but later or tomorrow I hope to get out onto the communal garden and start a bit of pruning and hedge cutting. These activities are very grounding and helpful to me.

Not really sure what triggered this latest wave,although  I would say it's destabilisation caused by shock and underpinned by a rubbish diet in February.

I feel like I have a calmer head on today and can look at it a bit more objectively. Also, had about 10 hours (broken) sleep last night, which must have helped. 

Pinched this from someone's thread yesterday. It is SO relaxing, I was out like a light and had about ten hours broken sleep afterwards. Thought I'd share it here.

Good morning, quick update.

Well, @Gridley and other survivors, having really mixed days at the moment. Monday was horrendous, yesterday was actually okay. This morning, have woken up feeling really flat. Not 'depressed,' because I still have hope for the future and am interested in things, and I know this too shall pass, but I do feel as if I have a flat battery at the moment. Some days I'm up and at 'em, some days I just want to slump and do nothing. An odd mixture of grief and WD, combined. It's a tricky combination. Life has no respect for whether you're in WD or not.

I had my first counselling session yesterday. I'm planning on going weekly until the end of May. I just feel as if I need a space to offload whilst going through my brother's dying and death. 

Floated the idea of long term antidepressant WD past her, actually it was part of the initial assessment as to why I was there. Explained that I'm not only struggling with imminent bereavement but also have been struggling with antidep WD since June 2018. She seemed quite receptive to this.

After the assessment she did say that there are 'some issues which are longer term work.' This, I already know, having had extensive therapy in the past and being a psychotherapist myself. The truth is, most of us would benefit from therapy, forever. Our psyches are a bottomless pit of issues. BUT it's not practical to stay in therapy forever, nor is it desirable to become dependent on a therapist.

I firmly but politely told her that I'm also a psychotherapist and that I'm not there for excavation purposes at the moment, which could cause more instability as I'm in psychiatric drug WD. What I want and need is some help getting through the grief I'm experiencing as well as stabilising from WD. To her credit, she took that on board and said fine, being as it was going to be shorter term work, she would also bring into the session some things such as mindfulness, grounding etc. Tools to help calm the nervous system.

*** I think it's worth pointing out to you guys reading that, although I really highly recommend therapy, I really wouldn't advocate doing a lot of therapeutic 'digging' whilst in WD. Therapy can already make you feel A LOT worse before you get better, so I'm sure you can understand how that is perhaps not advisable if suffering from CNS instability. If in doubt, ask the therapist their mode of practice. Someone who is psychodynamic/psychoanalytic is going to spend a LOT of time delving into the past and unconvering unhealed wounds. You may or may not be strong enough for this, in WD. A good therapist is ALWAYS going to ask you how 'well resourced' you are in the initial assessment ie what kind of a support network do you have/ financially can you commit/ do you have a current stable home base. If you don't have two of these, it may not be the time to start.***

• Moderator Emeritus
6 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

Good morning, quick update.

Very helpful post, Sunny.  I'm glad you found a good therapist for the short-term work.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

So sorry to hear about your wave when you were feeling so much better. Not sure what to tell you other than hold on, you have had good days and they are bound to return. I don’t know why this is taking so long for us, doesn’t seem fair does it when many seem to stabilize after a few weeks or months.

April 2010 - January 2018: Zoloft 50-100 mgs (would go back and forth between these doses, mostly at 50mgs).

April - May 2018: Attempted to restart Zoloft for 6 weeks, made things worse so switched to...

June 2018 - Novemeber 2019: Lexapro 10mgs

August 2018 - Current: Zyprexa added for early morning extreme anxiety

November 2018 - February 2019: Lexapro 5mgs, then off since doctor said it “wasn’t working if still having anxiety.” Looking back I was probably stabilizing very slowly.

New Doctor reinstated:

May 1st, 2019 - Current - Zoloft 50mgs, 2.5mg Zyprexa 

On 3/11/2020 at 7:17 PM, thelegend said:

So sorry to hear about your wave when you were feeling so much better. Not sure what to tell you other than hold on, you have had good days and they are bound to return. I don’t know why this is taking so long for us, doesn’t seem fair does it when many seem to stabilize after a few weeks or months.

Thankfully, am back to WD normal since Tuesday. WD certainly isn't fair, but we have to just keep pushing on. I *know* the waves will always end, but it's so hard to remember that when in one. We can't get caught up in comparing though. For me, I know I kindled myself.It's taken ages to recover from that.

Thanks @thelegend, sending love and prayers, hoping you get some respite, a good LONG window, soon.

Quick update. Have been feeling calmer again over the last three days, back to WD normal. That was a 9/ 10 day wave....I've been looking back and weirdly, that seems to be the amount of time most of my waves have lasted. In retrospect, it definitely wasn't as bad as waves I've experienced since switching meds...I think what made it so awful was that I'd had a month of feeling much better and so it was a shock to be back in instability again. What's also helped is taking a week out of work. What's made it more complicated is that I'm grieving.

Nervous system is very hair trigger, though, at the moment. I watched a thriller yesterday and half way through, realised my heart was really ounding and I was really tense. Had to stop watching! Might have to stick to happy Netflix at the moment.

Anyway, I hope you're all okay out there.

Quick update; last week, apart from Monday, was a lot better.

With the exception of yesterday, when I had a complete meltdown...just very stressed as brother is now declining fast and all of this in the time of Corona virus, which might create limitations on movement. And I detect my dad is still in lala land/denial about what's happening, both with brother and with virus. Anyway, that is not my issue to sort out.

Have woken today feeling calmer but am certifying myself out from work for a second week. I feel like, there is just so much going on at the moment and I need to put my own health and wellbeing first. I'm in WD, my brother is dying, now there's a pandemic. My brain is going into short circuit, so am gonna stay at home and concentrate on self soothing activities.

Just praying for strength through these difficult times, for me and family, for all of us ❤️

On 3/16/2020 at 3:07 AM, sunnysideup69 said:

My brain is going into short circuit, so am gonna stay at home and concentrate on self soothing activities.

Just praying for strength through these difficult times, for me and family, for all of us ❤️

Hello Sweetie,

These are frightening times - for anyone. And with your brother's situation, parents struggling with it (understandable!), and your own WD symptoms - you have all valid reasons to take some time for yourself. I know it is an overwhelming situation for most of us.

If you can focus on things that bring you enjoyment this will help. We need prayers and to think positively (and much of the time it's easier said than done).

The isolation (for a good reason) makes it harder as well. I hope you have some good TV, videos or books.

Big hug,

G.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:44 AM, sunnysideup69 said:

My system has had a shock, for sure.

Just resting on the sofa as much as I can and trying not to ruminate and catastrophise.

Hello Sweetie,

Grieving often is a long process - whether you start months before you know of a terminal diagnosis for someone close to you - or after the passing. It is one of the most stressful things we go through in our lives - and so is WD. When they happen together - I can't imagine other than how difficult it must be to grapple with. I went through both about a year ago. Like you, I knew in advance I would lose this darling friend. Even though this helped me to come to terms with it - it did exacerbate my symptoms and certainly the emotional recovery. Her knowledge and acceptance of my situation made me stronger - and her spirit has kept me positive on dark days.

Take care of yourself by relaxing and being cognizant of not rminating or catastrophizing.

You are a bright light here and hate to see you in pain.  Thisis temporary.

Hugs to you,

G.

Hey @Giulietta, thank you for those kind words. Needed them. How are you doing? I definitely have an uptick in anxiety and I think it's WD/ grieving/ this world situation.

All such a lot to take in at the moment. Everything familiar seems to be wobbling around. Some days I'm okay and some days, not. But I guess that's to be expected in this situation. It's all very overwhelming.

Hello friends,

Doing a weekly update. Well, after a great month in January, and a so-so month in February, am definitely back into a bit of a windows and waves scenario again.Provoked by imminent bereavement and also, the situation in the world at large. 

Some days feel fine, some days am a lot more wobbly. The ground is repeatedly whipped from beneath my feet, it's making recovery really challenging. I guess we all just really have to focus upon calming an over stressed nervous system.

Since last Monday, most days were okay, but my sleep is suffering a bit. I'm waking too early- around 4 30 am- and not getting back to sleep. Probably getting about 6.5 hours of sleep at the moment, which isn't shocking but isn't as much as I would like.

Having odd cortisol surges here and there. Also, still spotty and still got GI issues....both of the latter started three months after the cold switch from Citalopram.

Also, living alone during these times is difficult, so I'm arranging Skype dates with friends.

Hope you are all thriving out there xxx :)

Should add that, yesterday and today, I feel as if I am back in a bit of a wave again. It's a relatively mild one so far. I know it's a wave rather than reaction to anything specific because the symptoms seem to just come and go. Anxiety started totally randomly along with gut pain this morning at about 10 30am. Weird. Was also quite angsty yesterday.

Coping by continuing with meditating daily, doing one online relaxation daily. Getting out for an isolated walk whenever I can. Chatting to friends online and via telephone. Doing some art. Keeping my sleep routine.

• Mentor

Hey, I have been having challenges as well with the World situation. It definitely causes an uptick in symptoms. It will get better.

You also have the very unfortunate situation with your brother and that is burdensome on its own. 

Yes, keep doing all the things that are making it easier and bringing relief. It will get better!! 

Everyday that passes is another day closer to being healed. 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

9 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

I guess we all just really have to focus upon calming an over stressed nervous system.

7 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

Coping by continuing with meditating daily, doing one online relaxation daily. Getting out for an isolated walk whenever I can. Chatting to friends online and via telephone. Doing some art. Keeping my sleep routine.

Hello Sunny,

I'm glad you are able to get out for isolated walks. I saw that the PM is encouraging people to get outside but stay clear from others. It's important in WD and the pandemic. Glad you can talk via skype with friends. I read that people are having parties on skype but can't imagine how that works.

The hobby is so important too - wonder if you paint? sculpt? color? (latter being something that I find relaxing).  Good for you for doing relaxation exercises.

Thinking of you in the UK.

Hugs.

G

10 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Hey, I have been having challenges as well with the World situation. It definitely causes an uptick in symptoms. It will get better.

You also have the very unfortunate situation with your brother and that is burdensome on its own. 

Yes, keep doing all the things that are making it easier and bringing relief. It will get better!! 

Everyday that passes is another day closer to being healed. 

It WILL get better, have to remember that. I've still got acne, skin issues started exactly three months after cessation of Citalopram. Still doing their thing 4 months later. Hoping this will stop at some point, it's a minor issue in the current health crisis but am fed up with having dodgy skin. Probably compouned by stress.

Sorry to hear you are also suffering, hope it settles soon for you.What do you find relieves things for you, as well as diet? My diet is pretty clean now and I've cut out grains, I think they were irritating my gut.

• Mentor
13 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

It WILL get better, have to remember that. I've still got acne, skin issues started exactly three months after cessation of Citalopram. Still doing their thing 4 months later. Hoping this will stop at some point, it's a minor issue in the current health crisis but am fed up with having dodgy skin. Probably compouned by stress.

Sorry to hear you are also suffering, hope it settles soon for you.What do you find relieves things for you, as well as diet? My diet is pretty clean now and I've cut out grains, I think they were irritating my gut.

Yes, it will get better. I believe these skin issues are caused by your microbiome changes after coming off the medication. It will get better especially if you heal your gut! 

Diet is absolutely #1 for me. Whenever it slips everything falls apart for me. But I use exercise and diet as my two main components. Positive mindset is in there as well! 

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

16 hours ago, Cocopuffz17 said:

Yes, it will get better. I believe these skin issues are caused by your microbiome changes after coming off the medication. It will get better especially if you heal your gut! 

On 3/23/2020 at 1:55 AM, sunnysideup69 said:

it's a minor issue in the current health crisis but am fed up with having dodgy skin. Probably compouned by stress.

As you acknowledge - skin is a dodgy issue in relation to other challenges now. Still - your feelings about it are justified (for lack of a better expression). I avoid mirrors when possible  ;) . Stress triggers flare ups as does diet (sugar, caffeine, refined carbs). Gut is such a key to all of this. 

Colloidal silver which you can find in cremes has properties to help th eskin and was used on burns until the advent of antibiotics. If you want to learn more - here is a startingpoint. https://draxe.com/nutrition/colloidal-silver-benefits/   Someone gave me some handcreme to try.

Sugar is my achilles heel and I find staying away from it - or .5 tsp in my coffee at most - helps. Reducign stress is a HUGE help too. I know that this is nearly impossible to evade now - between family and the flu.

I grew up with a complexion, break outs, etc. and they subsided as I grew older. I know how upsetting it is - even if we have other health issus now. It is going to get better. Might take more time than you would like (?) but it is going to heal.

Hugs,

G

Aw @Giulietta,

Thank you! Your words have made me feel so much better. Definitely stress is a trigger and it's been a tricky few months, as well as swapping antidepressant. I keep going on about it, forget it for a while, yes I also don't look in mirrors at the moment. This too shall pass, eh? I feel a bit petty complaining about this when things could be so much worse, but I do long for my clear skin.

Been staying away from the old sugar for 24 days now, hopefully it will help, gut is definitely a key issue.

Interesting about the colloidal silver....will check that link out!

56 minutes ago, sunnysideup69 said:

This too shall pass, eh? I feel a bit petty complaining about this when things could be so much worse, but I do long for my clear skin.

Most/many/ (I know me) can post on things that are very upsetting tom e - particularly when they don't improve - or improve and then come back. We all copeo in our own  way with symptoms that won't abate, apprehension  about changing meds (l am a prime example) life in generaal during this period in particular.

Have a nice day. :) Big hug,

G.

Thank you. I've decided to do an experiment. have actually been doing it for a week now. Have cut out my fish oil supplement, as I already eat oily fish 2 to 3 times a week, and was wondering whether the fish oil supplements are possibly making me break out? I know stress ( and WD is very stressful) can affect sebaceous glands and make them over produce oil, perhaps combined with all the fish oil it's giving me problems.

It's worth a try, I think.

18 hours ago, sunnysideup69 said:

stress ( and WD is very stressful) can affect sebaceous glands and make them over produce oil, perhaps combined with all the fish oil it's giving me problems.

It's worth a try, I think.

Brilliant idea! I had no connection between stress and oil production. ;) How did you learn this nugget?

Let us know how it goes. I wish you good luck.