RuuRee: my experience with Lexapro withdrawal

RuuRee

Hi All,

I recently stumbled upon this site in hope that it would shed some light on my withdrawal experience. To start, I will give a background on my medication history. I started Lexapro in 2013 and went from 10 mgs to 20mgs. Xanax as needed for panic attacks (which would happen once in a blue moon).

This year I dealt with a lot of stress from work and I started having frequent panic attacks and headaches in July/August of 2019. Then in August, I went to the ER for the headaches and enlarged pupil (to rule out stroke, etc. - I have a history of DVT blood clot). 

Went to my PCP a week later, told him I was worried the Lexapro was giving me the headaches and that I wanted to try something different to help with the anxiety. Knew nothing about weaning off ADs - went down to 10mgs of the Lexapro in a week and then to 0 as per the DR, while adding 150mgs of Welbutrin. 

I had withdrawal symptoms for about 2-3 weeks, and the Welbutrin was not helping after about a month so I stopped taking it. From there, I could feel my anxiety and some depression creeping back in, but the headaches were gone. 

I was starting a new project with work in October which is where things dramatically went downhill with my anxiety. I would come home and be so paralyzed with anxiety that I could barely get off the couch. I could barely eat or carry out my daily functions, let alone leave the house.

The worst of the symptoms was the morning anxiety. I would wake up feeling very overwhelmed, fidgety, and start immediately feeling nauseous. I’d also feel terrified/fearful for most of the day.

The only thing that helps with any of the symptoms is Xanax - I’ll take anywhere from .25mgs to .5mgs, once, usually in the morning/early afternoon.

I am also a Type 1 Diabetic and I’m lucky my blood sugars have been okay, but I should be eating more. I’ve lost almost 15 lbs since October. 

PCP put me on Prozac 6 weeks ago and I was just upped to 40mgs by my Psychiatrist last week. Symptoms have been better - appetite and nausea has been better, but I still am not eating as I should be. Still feeling very fearful for the most part and I’m really scared it’s going to interfere with my job, especially since it gives me most of my anxiety.

Started taking 200mgs of Magnesium 2 weeks ago, especially since being in ketosis really depletes your body of it...not sure if it is that or the Prozac but sleep has been better.

I’m worried that I’m going to have to depend on the Xanax to get me through most days until I stabilize on the Prozac. I’d like to be able to start yoga/meditation/exercising but I have little motivation to do anything.

My family and the friends that I do have have been very supportive, which has been really helpful and reassuring. I also see a therapist who has been trying to give me techniques to help reduce my anxiety. 

As far as my Psychiatrist, he believes that what I am feeling right now is a return of anxiety and not from withdrawal, which I do not agree with after reading numerous posts on this website. I think most of this is debilitating withdrawal and a small percentage is a return of anxiety. 

At this point I am looking for any suggestions or support from those who have and are going through similar experiences. It is not easy finding people who are, and talking to those who have never gone through this just don’t understand what it’s like so it’s hard to relate. I’d like to think there is light at the end of the tunnel for me, but it feels like I will never reach that point. And one day I’d like to be off of ADs for good, but right now that doesn’t feel like an option for me...😢

Lexapro: 2013 - mid August 2019 (20mgs, to 10 mgs for 1 week then 0mgs)

Zoloft: March 2018 - ? (200mgs - unsure of duration, around 2-4 weeks maybe; down to 100 mgs for 1 month, 50 mgs for 1 month; reinstated 20 mgs Lexapro shortly after)

Wellbutrin: mid August 2019 - mid September 2019 (150 mgs then CT)

Prozac: early October 2019 - 20 mgs  to 40 mgs on 11/24/2019; 30 mgs in July 2020; 20 mgs Sept 2020; 10 mgs October 22 2020; 15 mgs 11/13/2020

My intro:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21906-ruuree-my-experience-with-lexapro-withdrawal/

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, RuuRee.  I'm sorry you're having these difficult symptoms.

The symptoms you're experiencing are withdrawal from a too-fast taper of Lexapro and Wellbutrin.  Anxiety is one of the most common withdrawal symptoms.  Early morning anxiety, caused by cortisol spikes, is also typical in withdrawal, as is lack of motivation and lack of appetite. Psychiatrists don't believe in protracted withdrawal and typically will say that the symptoms are the "return of the underlying condition."

Here are some techniques that might be helpful in dealing with anxiety.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are the magnesium you're already taking and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. You might consider adding an omega.

Please start at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

I was thinking about reinstating the Lexapro, but it's been almost 3 months since I've been off it and I'm not sure if reinstating will work - plus I am on Prozac 40mg now so I'm not even sure if adding the old med on top of the Prozac is a good idea, and I don't want to wean off at this point either.

Update on symptoms:

• I don't feel as paralyzed, and the morning anxiety improved, but I still have anxiety for most of the day. The only thing that really helps is Xanax. I really don't want to become dependent on Xanax, but I do take it when necessary in small doses, usually once for the day. I feel like I may have to start taking it more often, especially to help me get through work
  • My appetite has improved, but I'm still having a hard time eating shortly after I wake up. 
  • Decision making is DIFFICULT - doesn't matter what it is...taking a shower, laundry, making food, etc. I have no motivation whatsoever. I feel like I am forcing myself to get even the simplest things done.
  • I've been having ALOT of social anxiety which is generally not like me (although I was experiencing some of this before I started meds due to the anxiety) and I'm not sure if that is just return of symptoms pre-meds

At this point I am looking for support and kind words as I am feeling both helpless and hopeless. I just want to stop feeling so terrified all the time and I want to be happy and live my best life. And I know feeling better is not going to happen overnight, but I hoping that I can make small improvements and add fulfillment to my life in time. I would never wish this experience on anyone. 

Zoloft: March 2018 - ? (200mgs - unsure of duration, around 2-4 weeks maybe; down to 100 mgs for 1 month, 50 mgs for 1 month; reinstated 20 mgs Lexapro shortly after)

Prozac: early October 2019 - 20 mgs  to 40 mgs on 11/24/2019; 30 mgs in July 2020; 20 mgs Sept 2020; 10 mgs October 22 2020; 15 mgs 11/13/2020

My intro:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/21906-ruuree-my-experience-with-lexapro-withdrawal/

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, RuuRee said:

was thinking about reinstating the Lexapro, but it's been almost 3 months since I've been off it and I'm not sure if reinstating will work - plus I am on Prozac 40mg now so I'm not even sure if adding the old med on top of the Prozac is a good idea, and I don't want to wean off at this point either.

I wouldn't recommend reinstating Lexapro on top of the Prozac.  

You will heal.  It's just going to take time.

One thing that's helpful to many members is commenting on other members' threads, with just a kind word of encouragement and empathy.  That way you get to know other members, who can be a big help in supporting you in this process.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Ruuree,

Hang in there, listen to the mods advice, they are a knowledgeable crew. Lots of us are going thru similar, you will improve but it can be slow, so please don't feel discouraged, it WILL happen. It's good to take a look at others on your drug via the search function although, to be honest, I worked out that whatever the anti dep, the WD symptoms are very similar.

Sending you a wave from London.

January 2008 to April 2015 Citalopram 20mg to 5mg, reducing in 50 per cent leaps. Jumped off at 5mg

March 2016 used MDMA triggered setback

April 2016 Citalopram 10mg October 2016 cut to 5mg, May 2017 cut to 2.5mg

May 2018 used MDMA triggered setback

June 2018 Citalopram 2.5mg up to 10mg, then back to 5mg

July/ August 2018 7.5mg, then 10mg

June 2019 updosed to 20mg Citalopram

August 2019 cold switch to Venlafaxine 75mg XR

Supplements; 1100mg fish oil daily; also 100mg Magnesium Glycinate. Tried Vagifem 10mcg from mid May 2021 to mid June 2021; caused depression, so stopped.

• Mentor

Hello Ruuree

stay the course patience is key! Let your body stabilize on one med one dose. I’ve just found this site also and as you years ago I tried to stop without much knowledge of withdrawals thinking I would just have to stay on them. We are so fortunate to have these folks to help guide us. 95% drs know nothing of withdrawals. They will just change meds, dose or add drugs. This will totally confuse the situation and not help. Over the years I learned the hard way about patience and letting system stabilize. Decision making problems is part of anxiety which is from withdrawals. I know this myself. We cannot make sudden changes that is not in our vocabulary with these drugs.   Stay the corse with same dose Prozac and let it stabilize this may take many months. That is step 1. Depending on how long I’ve let the withdrawals symptoms last determines how long till I stabilize. 

Example if I change dose too fast and have symptoms for a week then get back to previous dose I can stabilize in about a month. But if I change dose too fast and let symptoms roll on for a month and then go to dr and listen to him and change drug or dose it may take me 5 months to stabilize. Listen to these mods on here they definitely know what they are talking about. Hang in there peace will come!!!

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Welcome RR,

Glad you found your way here! I'd follow Gridley's recommendation and suggest that you don't add the Lexapro. I'd also be careful with Xanax though I do understand the necessity. I did the same thing when I was coming off for a month. I wonder if you can try substituting the magnesium for Xanax every time and see how that goes. Although if you have been taking them for 3 months you may have developed dependence which just means that you'll have to wean off of them. But your goal now is to stabilize which seems that is happening.

To help with the nausea I used to eat ginger cookies. I still can't eat till noon but you just get used to it. Can you try drinking calories until you feel ready to eat? Some juice? Or milk? I had to give up coffee (9 months now). Recently I've also discovered sleep meditation by Sleep Cove but there are some motivational ones as well online. I wonder if those will help with getting things done. 

Good luck on this long and tortuous journey we are taking! You're in good company here!

Your symptoms will get better as you've already seen. Just keep at it day by day and hour by hour.

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

It's nice knowing there are people going through the same thing who can relate. Sometimes when I get discouraged, I do come on here and read through other threads. I think I will start commenting on others 😊 I honestly thought I was going crazy and that there was NO way that what I was and am going through is a "return of symptoms." I felt like I was going to die, and that I was shriveling up into nothing. Anxiety can sure do crazy things to the body. 

So as far as the Xanax usage, I didn't start taking it until the second month in of my severe symptoms - so November of this year. I was taking it every day at one point, which fluctuated from .25 - .5 mgs in the mornings, just once for the day. There are days now when I go without it, because I do not want to become dependent on it. The days I do take it is when I can't take anymore of the stress building-up and I can't concentrate or function much. 

I just increased my dose of Magnesium to 400 mg before bed...any suggestions for splitting this dose up throughout the day? Maybe 200 mgs every 12 hours, before bed and early afternoon maybe? I also stopped drinking caffeine for a while and just recently started drinking decaf here and there, so far so good with that. 

I think the hardest part of all this is trying to convince myself that I am going to be okay and it is just my anxiety when I am feeling overwhelmed or going through a bad wave. Even when I try techniques to try and resolve it, it still lingers in the background so my mind always returns to it. I hope that increasing the dose of Prozac to 40 mgs will help...I just want to feel like myself again. I want to heal, and I want to discover a new me. One day I would like to come of anti-depressants all together - when I am ready. 

My intro:

Gosh this week has been awful. I’ve been feeling very overwhelmed and the only thing that makes me feel better is the Xanax which I hate to rely on but I don’t know what else to do. I don’t know why I’m feeling crappy again, maybe I’m going through another wave, maybe it’s all work related stress. I did just up my Prozac dose to 40 mgs about 2 weeks ago, has anyone ever experienced worsening of symptoms introducing a new AD? Or upping their dose? I feel like the same thing happened when I started on 20 mgs it took about 5-6 weeks to start feeling better...

My intro:

• Mentor

Yes Ruuree I have always had these symptoms changing brand or dose. You have had some big med changes in the last 3 months that’s too fast. You’ve been on Prozac for about 7 weeks. Your cns can’t handle that much change! You are experiencing withdrawal/side effects. That is no doubt. You can look at my signature I have been where you are a few times. I’ve learned!!! You have to let your body stabilize. This may take 3 months or 7 months ? We don’t know but it will settle. Look back at your past and you may get an idea for this time line. It usually takes me 3?to 6 months depending on how long I let the withdrawal symptoms hang around. The withdrawal symptoms anxiety will tell you that you have to go to dr and change meds or something tight now. Try not to do that unless emergency. Stay the course with Prozac and same dose and it will settle! Don’t keep changing it and it will settle!!!

2013-2018 merry go round

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

Another tough day. Lately I’ll sleep until I need to get up so I end up oversleeping and tossing and turning after I SHOULD be getting up after 8 hrs. I’ve been on the couch a lot, haven’t been eating well which does not help (plus I’m a Type 1 Diabetic). Too scared to go anywhere or do much...I don’t know how I’m going to get through work this week. I’m afraid I’m going to freeze up and not be able to function. I may have to rely on the Xanax for the week. I need my job I need my health insurance being Diabetic in the U.S. is EXPENSIVE and losing my job would absolutely break me. Even on the Prozac I’m not feeling much relief right now, I asked my psychiatrist if this anxiety is from increasing my dose he said most likely not. I honestly thing it is a combination of withdrawal symptoms and the Prozac. I am hoping I can stabilize on the Prozac sooner rather than later... I would really hate to keep increasing my dose. I am getting so discouraged in this wave. I feel like there is no end in sight with all of this. 😞

My intro:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ree

Your symptoms appear to have worsened since the updose, is that correct.

Were you sleeping as much prior to updosing?

Prozac has a long half life and continues to build in the body even after dose increases stop.

On 12/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, RuuRee said:

I started on 20 mgs it took about 5-6 weeks to start feeling better...

If you were feeling better, why was the dose increased?

"Wellbutrin: mid August 2019 - mid September 2019 " What dose of WEllbutrin were you taking?

Would you please update your drug signature to include the date the Prozac was updosed.

Sassenach

Escitalopram 10mgs from mid 2007 ( can't remember exact date) to 11th Dec 2018

Fentanyl patches ( don't remember dose ) from Nov 2014 to 11 Dec 2018

Quit both cold turkey Dec 2018

Reinstated 3rd March 2019 2.5 mgs.

Updosed  8March to 5mgs and holding

25/11/19 Started taper 4.5mgs and holding

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

@Sassenach Symptoms were better, but all the sudden they are worse this past week and close to how bad they were when this all first started (early OCT) - have had a lot of work stuff going on so that could definitely be contributing. I've been sleeping about the same since updosing, if not a little better. I saw a psychiatrist who recommended updosing the Prozac - he explained to me that someone with anxiety generally needs a higher dose. I was taking 150 mgs of Wellbutrin, stopped cold turkey after about a month. My drug signature has been updated if you want to take a look. Thank you for taking the time to help me out!

My intro:

I really can’t say if the Prozac is making me feel like this or if I’m just having a bad wave. Today was so awful. I’m finally feeling better but I took Xanax .25mgs x 2, about 6 hrs apart. I reallllly hate to rely on it but it does help me eat and I need to eat being a Type 1 Diabetic or things could get dangerous really fast with my blood sugars. Also the more I’m able to eat, the more I feel better. Has anyone else had that happen where they can’t really eat but once they do their symptoms improve? 

My intro:

• Moderator Emeritus
20 hours ago, RuuRee said:

I saw a psychiatrist who recommended updosing the Prozac - he explained to me that someone with anxiety generally needs a higher dose

Hi Ree

Your psych's comment is nonsense.

The issue is not anxiety but W/D brought on by your recent drug doses.

You are currently on 40mgs of Prozac which is equivalent to 150mgs of Wellbutrin, equivalent to 18mgs of Lexapro.

Any updose would put you on a higher level of A/D than ever before.

We would certainly not advise this.

My concern is that the current Prozac dose may be too high for your destabilised CNS.

It would be a big help if you could post a diary in the following format:

DATE:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety 5
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache 3
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy 6
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Numbers are severity from 0-10, how you actually rate them is irrelevant as long as they are relative from day to day.

This will enable us to track and evaluate your progress at a glance.

If you can do this I will ask Alto to comment on the dosage when we have 3/4 days of diaries.

15 hours ago, RuuRee said:

I reallllly hate to rely on it but it does help me eat and I need to eat being a Type 1 Diabetic or things could get dangerous really fast with my blood sugars. Also the more I’m able to eat, the more I feel better. Has anyone else had that happen where they can’t really eat but once they do their symptoms improve? 

You need to eat so whatever helps at present.

It is normal in W/D to lose your appetite but it will pass.

Sass

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner

If you are going through Hell, keep going. NCIS series 15, David MaCallum:rolleyes:

Hello RuuRee! I am dropping by to give you my support! ❤Hang in there! We will make it!

Gemma92's signature(now Gem92) (added in by mod mmt 4/23/22)

90s and 2008:Prozac for a year

2016:ADHD drug for a few months CT 2017:Right thyroid removed. 

May-June 2018: Lexapro 10-20mg. July 4th 2018 Lex CT and took Penicillin, Z-pack.

August 2018: 3rd antibiotic and Effexor for 5 days CT. 

September 2018: Lexapro 5mg (CT after month) Ativan 1-.5mg(CT after 2 weeks) and Hydroxyine 50mg (2 weeks) SEVERE REACTIONS AND SEVERE WITHDRAWAL

October 2018: Ashwahganda 2 weeks, Probiotics 2 weeks. Mirt 15mg 6 days CT Oct- Nov 2018: gaba gummies, cbd oil, magnesium. December 2018: Mirt 7.5mg, 15mg, 30mg, Zyprexa 2.5mg, 5mg for 1 week back to 2.5mg. 4th antibiotic used. Hydroxyine. Jan 2019: Mirtazapine 26.5mg. Different brands used when hospitalized. Hydroxyine.

Feb 2019: Mirtazapine 22.5mg, 15mg. Zyprexa 2.5mg CT. Prozac 1 pill, Trazadone 4 pills, Hydroxyine few pills, INJECTED with steroids, antibiotics and pain killers for 2 days. Took high doses of benadryl a few times, few more pain killers

June 2019: Mirt 14.5mg-13.5mg Sept 2019: 13mg, 12mg, sep 25th 11 mg. 
4/22/22- 6.3mg (Tapering between 2 and 3% every 2 weeks). 11/27/2022- 5.4mg 
1/8/23- 5.25mg 1/30/23-5.2mg 2/22/23-5.15mg 3/10/23-5.1mg 4/4/23-5.05mg 4/16/23-5mg

12/7/19:

- 9am woke up, anxiety level at 8/10, feeling nauseous 

- 10:30am took meds 40 mg Prozac, antihistamine, levothyroxine, 200 mgs Mag, vitamin D, and then took .25 Xanax 

- 11:30am ate a Cliff bar, took another .25 Xanax 

- 12pm finally got out of bed and showered 

- 1pm feeling better, anxiety at 2/10

- 3pm ate half of Poké bowl 

-5pm feeling of derealization (went to store)

- 630pm ate some pizza 

- 11:30pm anxiety starting to rise, 5/10..took 200 mgs Mag

- 12am fell asleep 

12/8/2019 (today)

- 8am woke up, anxiety at 5/10, feel a little nauseous 

- 9am took meds 40 mg Prozac, antihistamine, levothyroxine, Mag, vitamin D, and then took .5 Xanax 

- 11am slept for about 3 hrs

- 2pm anxiety at 8/10

- 330pm ate other half of Poké bowl

- 630pm headache 3/10, anxiety 6/10

This weekend has been horrible. Yesterday I was hysterical in the morning and early afternoon. My mom came over to help me eat at 1130 and then my Dad came over and helped me construct an email to my boss regarding a leave of absence from work. I’ve been having trouble with daily functions again, getting out of bed, eating, overthinking, feeling overwhelmed all the time. Today, I finally talked to my boss who was really understanding and kind. Now I can’t stop thinking about how much my life is falling apart, how I don’t know when I’m going to be able to work again and if I even want to return to my current job. I don’t think my job offers short term disability, so I may no longer have a source of income and I’m probably going to lose my apartment and have to move in with my parents. I’m scared I’m going to lose my health insurance which I heavily rely on since I’m Diabetic. I have student loans and a car loan I have to pay for. I’m scared of losing my car. I don’t want to rely on my parents to pay for stuff. I don’t know what to do. I can’t stop thinking about all the awful things to come. I feel so lost I feel like my life is never going to be the same, and that I’m never going to be able to pick myself back up and be independent. I feel like I’m going to die, or that it would be better if I were dead because I can’t handle this. At this point I don’t even know if the Prozac I’m on is a good fit, even though I might just need to “stabilize” on it. I wish this terrible nightmare would end...

My intro:

@Gemma92 thank you so much ❤️ Even though everyone is a stranger to one another on this site, it is so nice to have support. To know that we are not alone in this....

My intro:

• Mentor

Ruuree this will soon pass! In a few months you will feel much better. Just try and be patient and steady. After your body stabilizes you will be able to start thinking about tapering as the moderators will guide you. Right now because you nervous system is unstable side effects/withdrawals- anxiety it’s causing you to think negatively. I also experienced this. I had to take a little klonopin as needed to try and work and sleep. But after 4 months or so stopped needing the klonopin. Try and make yourself walk outside, eat, good sleep, be with friends and family. Look on YouTube for honest guys mediation stick in some earbuds it would calm me and help me sleep the waterfall and ocean sounds. Concentrate on getting better. You will get better! Hang in there ! 

2013-2018 merry go round

Sorry to hear you haven’t been doing so well. Try not to worry about it as slowly you will start to improve. May be more tough times ahead but we have to go through it to get to the other side.

Try not to stress to much about your job or your car etc. You seem quite young so even if you lost your job you will have plenty of time to make up for it. Sounds like your parents are there to support you so while it doesn’t fee great to reply on them, that’s what parents are for. This is just a temporary illness and while it may take a while to recover from, one year or two years is a very small part of your life. 

20mg Lexapro 2007

10mg Lexapro 2012

Started tapering approx (October 2017) 12 months ago  from 10mg to 9mg then 8 then 7 then 6 then 5 then 4 then 3.

Held for approx 4 to 6 weeks min on each reduction.

Hit severe symptoms (started 7th Nov) after dropping to 3mg. Dropped to 3mg approx 22nd October.

Back to 4mg (7th November) and stabilising. Current symptoms started 23rd November 2018

Used diazepam (2018) 10mg 10th Nov, 5mg 11th Nov, 2.5mg 12 Nov, 2mg 13th Nov.

Used diazepam 10mg 24th Nov, 7.5 25th Nov and 5mg 26th November 2018

@Heath @Tom37 thank you so much for the encouraging words. I am trying to take things day by day but as we all know it is hard. 😞 My head is swimming and I can’t seem to get it to stop. 

I had to take off work this week which was really upsetting for multiple reasons. Ended up talking to HR yesterday which actually went quite well so that was reassuring. The plan is to come back in a week or 2, and start off doing some basic entry level work, which means my pay will be bumped down to hourly but I’ll be able to keep my health insurance. I can still work from home and work whatever hours of the day, 7 days a week. I think after my lease is up in April I’m going to move back in with my parents so I don’t have to worry about rent for a little while. I’m probably going to look for a new job at some point as well, maybe even take a break from the corporate world. Lately I’ve been thinking that this job/company just isn’t for me and I need a career change or something.

But I’m hoping I can get my life back together. Get a good routine down and start living a more healthy lifestyle. Really work on me and create a better version of myself. I just want to live a happy life with no worries. I know it doesn’t happen overnight but I want it really bad. There is a glimmer of hope for me and I know there is more to life out there. I know that we will all get through this hell. We just have to keep telling ourselves that we want it and that our time to shine will eventually come! 🌟

My intro:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ruu

Please go back through your journals and compare how you felt on 20mgs compared to how you feel now.

On 12/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, RuuRee said:

10:30am took meds 40 mg Prozac, antihistamine, levothyroxine, 200 mgs Mag, vitamin D, and then took .25 Xanax

On 12/8/2019 at 11:57 PM, RuuRee said:

9am took meds 40 mg Prozac, antihistamine, levothyroxine, Mag, vitamin D, and then took .5 Xanax

It is very important to take your meds at the same time every day.

Levothyroxine carries the following warning.

levothyroxine food

Applies to: levothyroxine

The timing of meals relative to your levothyroxine dose can affect absorption of the medication. Therefore, levothyroxine should be taken on a consistent schedule with regard to time of day and relation to meals to avoid large fluctuations in blood levels, which may alter its effects. In addition, absorption of levothyroxine may be decreased by foods such as soybean flour, cotton seed meal, walnuts, dietary fiber, calcium, and calcium fortified juices. These foods should be avoided within several hours of dosing if possible. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Although you may have little appetite it is also important to eat at the same times every day.

Sass

@Sassenach thank you for the reminder with the meds. It's hard sometimes for me to remember to take them all on time especially with having no routine right now. 

Improvements on 40mgs Prozac:

• sleeping better (sleeping A LOT), I no longer wake up as soon as it starts getting light out
  • Don't feel as nauseous in the morning, no more acid reflux 
  • Sensitivity to noise is better 
  • Am able to tolerate music and tv better
  • Not as scared to leave the house 
  • can tolerate more of a variety of foods 
  • slight improvement with social anxiety
  • seems mood/feeling scared is a little more up and down rather than stagnant 

**Note: A couple weeks prior to updosing, I was taking Xanax more frequently (once a day or less) and I had started taking Magnesium as well. I also just started taking Klonopin. I think this could be contributing to some of the symptom improvements**

New or worsening of Symptoms:

• loss of appetite got worse 
  • agitation and irritability (new) 
  • still cannot carry out a lot of daily functions
  • still have little motivation
  • been having crying spells (new)
  • more depression

Hopefully I will stabilize on the Prozac. I really don't want to keep jumping around on antidepressants and I'm nervous my psychiatrist is going to try and updose again or want to change meds at some point. I may just have to lie a little bit and say I am doing better next time I see him. Does anyone have suggestions for dealing with DRs?

My intro:

• Mentor

Ruuree that’s good news! You can work from home keep job and insurance!  Glad you are feeling a little better! I have to take some Prilosec with these meds it helps my heartburn. It’s hard to see the facts when you are going through this. You know you will stabilize and get better in time. You know all this going on is withdrawals and startup effects. You know Prozac will be a better ssri to withdraw from after you stabilize. You will gradually feel better over the next few months. It’s a time thing:). Twice in my life during ssri start up and withdrawal I changed jobs one time it worked out better one time it didn’t. If hadn’t been going through that I wouldn’t have changed jobs. One time it gave me more courage and one time it was fear. So I’m just saying to be careful with life changing decisions right now! My dr doesn’t know anything about starting up slow or tapering down on these meds. Or the difference between withdrawals and real health problems. He is clueless. If I go in there upset he’s a robot he only knows to change dose or med. and he doesn’t even know how to do that correctly. Sometimes when I see him I let him know I am ok but I’m waiting to stabilize. And he usually ask me what I want to do. I don’t mention withdrawals because I know how he is. Sometimes I suggest things to him and let it be his idea. Sometimes when I was struggling I may skip appointment or take a klonopin before I see him. One time I had to tell him no more changes it’s making things worse. And he would just see me in 6 months and I would be stabilized. You just have to know how you dr is. Figure them out and go from there. Do try and stay steady for several months !

good luck!

2013-2018 merry go round

@Heath thank you so much for sharing your experience with your DR, that really helps. I really want to stabilize on this Prozac! I saw my therapist today who mentioned one day coming off of antidepressants and that made me happy that someone believed I could one day go without them. My Mom keeps saying, there’s lots of people who have been on them for years. I don’t want to be one of those people...it’s not a “I’m a different person on them” type of thing either. anti-depressants are meant to be a short term solution. I believe that I have the capability to control my emotions and the way that I feel about things, whether that means I need to do more than the next person. After reading all these stories and going through this experience myself, it has completely changed my mind about these drugs. Mental health issues are serious and I hope one day doctors and researchers will be able to understand them better and come up with a better solution!

My intro:

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Ree

how-to-talk-to-a-doctor-about-tapering-and-withdrawal-what-to-expect/

Usually the easiest way unfortunately is to take your prescription and say thank you.

Do not mention tapering as they have no idea.

Your symptoms keep changing which is good at this stage.

17 hours ago, RuuRee said:

My Mom keeps saying, there’s lots of people who have been on them for years.

Even your mum cannot understand how they make us feel, this is normal with those around us.

One concern;

Are you now taking both Klonopin and Xanax?

Sass

@Sassenach thank you so much for that input and the link I’m going to take a look at that. And yes, the symptom changes and my daily sporadic window and wave patterns make me believe that I am improving and the Prozac is doing something. I switched from Xanax to Klonopin for the next week to try and stabilize my symptoms.

My intro:

• Altostrata changed the title to RuuRee My experience with Lexapro withdrawal

This past week has been better...was supposed to take Klonopin 7 days straight on same dose but only took .25mgs once Tues-Thurs, and .125mgs once Fri&Sat (today). The anxiety is definitely getting better, not sure if it’s the Klonopin or the Prozac, but I am starting to feel more stable. I have been feeling more depressed though. I think going through this experience has definitely lowered my self esteem and makes me feel like a failure. I don't know what the future holds for me and there are so many unknowns at this point and that makes me feel hopeless as well. It’s been 4 months since I’ve been off the Lexapro and I’m hoping things will get better from here. I plan on staying on Prozac until I’m comfortable with starting a taper. 

I also completely forgot that I made a switch to Zoloft in early 2018. I was starting to feel more anxious so I went to my doctor and they told me to go right from the 20mgs of Lexapro to 200mgs of Zoloft. I remember doing this made my symptoms worse...and thinking back on it now it was probably a combination of withdrawal symptoms and possible side effects of Zoloft. I found a journal of mine where I recorded some of the experience...symptoms were VERY similar to the symptoms I’ve been having or had in the last few months, except not as intense as this time around. 

I just want my life to go back to normal! I want to be happy again. I know I have a long road ahead of me but that feeling of desperation is always there. Here’s to wishing for a brighter future. 💫

My intro:

• 2 weeks later...

So it's been about 2 weeks and I have been feeling better, but I would rate my progress at 30% healed. This is after being off the Lexapro since mid August, and starting Prozac in early October. I feel like the combination of the WD and the side effects of the Prozac are keeping me from stabilizing. Does anyone know how long it can take for a new med to make you feel close to normal again? I do not want to up my dose to see if that makes me feel better and I ultimately want to come off ADs all together. And I've been thinking...now that I am working from home and have flexible hours, I feel like this is a good time to wean off the Prozac. I'll be able to deal with the withdrawal completely from home. Any opinions or suggestions are welcome...and if anyone has any experience with a Prozac taper and withdrawal, please let me know how you made out. 

My intro:

• Mentor

Ruuree 

That’s good you are getting better. I personally have had a better experience with side effects/ wd when I waited to be stabilized. It makes it so much easier!  I did 40 Prozac for 8 months I wanted to come down because of se dr dropped me to 20 throwed me all out of wack. Went to 30 mg still had se. I new I had to change medicine so I stuck it out for 6 months then changed and it was a lot easier. So if you can stay the course with same dose and brand and you will be stable in a few months. See where you are in 2 more months. For me it always takes me about 6 months to stabilize after a change everyone is different. Prozac I here is a best one to withdrawal from so that’s good. You’ve got supporting family and can work from home ! That’s better than most of us. So you got everything going for the positive so you’ve got time and that’s all you need rt now. This is only my opinion from my experience moderators can guide you. I’m happy you are feeling better!! That’s a good sign! Hang in there !

2013-2018 merry go round

@Heath thanks for the advice. It's hard to not make any rash decisions when the anxiety is still there. It's like the anxiety is getting better, but depression is replacing it and I hate it. I just want to be happy, I know I have a lot to be thankful for but this WD is really taking it out of me. I think I will hold on the Prozac and see how I feel in a couple months. Hopefully there will be an improvement, I would hate to have to come off of it and go onto something else. I'm also nervous about doing a taper as I don't know how my family would react to me coming off of ADs, I just hope they'll still support me during that process...

My intro:

• 4 weeks later...

It's been almost a month since I've posted, so I thought I'd give an update. I've been getting out more, and this past week I've experienced a good shift in my mood. I hate to put a number on it because I feel like I still have waves or moments when my anxiety creeps in, but I'd give myself a 6/10 - 7/10 for how I'm feeling. I still struggle to make decisions, but eating has been somewhat better. I still feel the need to stay in bed and sleep until I no longer can which at this point I think I'm just being lazy and know i can sleep in since I work from home. I'm considering going part-time with my current job and picking up another part-time job. Not sure yet, I want to see what my mood does in the next few weeks. I might just go to another full-time job all together. I am thankful that I'm on the Prozac - I feel like it's definitely helped me stabilize. I'm hoping that once I feel pretty good for a while, I'll be able to start tapering off. Baby steps though, I feel like I have a lot of stuff to figure out still. To those who are still suffering...your day of healing will come whether you feel it right away or not. I believe everyone is going through a journey to become a better version of themselves. Don't ever give up!

8fbd78f97cf9d0a49c0a9d91d4008159.jpg

My intro:

• ChessieCat changed the title to RuuRee: My experience with Lexapro withdrawal
  • 5 months later...

Here we go again

Hello everyone, it’s been almost a year since I’ve been on here and I’m going through withdrawal again 🙁. Please see my drug signature for dosing info...I just recently went from 20 mgs of Prozac to 10 mgs. It’s been almost 4 weeks and I’ve come out of the initial withdrawal and now straight into full blown. I have a lot of the same symptoms as before (nausea in the morning, can’t concentrate, feeling some doom, etc) and it’s getting worse by the day so I’m thinking I should reinstate to 20mgs or even try adding 5 to see if that helps. Any suggestions??? I really don’t want to reinstate but I can’t go through this again and I’m not interested in adding a benzo regimen either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks 🙂

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title and removed link to original intro topic

My intro:

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you for updating your drug signature.

Only one Introduction topic per member.  Please do not create any more new Introduction topics.  Thank you.

Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions and journal your progress.  And it keeps your history in one place.  Part of SA's mission is to educate the medical community.  It becomes a case history that interested medical professionals can use.

Altostrata, SA's founder, was interviewed recently.  The link is in my signature.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

You might find a smaller updose is enough.  I'll ask the other mods for their assistance.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

11 hours ago, RuuRee said:

Here we go again

Hello everyone, it’s been almost a year since I’ve been on here and I’m going through withdrawal again 🙁. Please see my drug signature for dosing info...I just recently went from 20 mgs of Prozac to 10 mgs. It’s been almost 4 weeks and I’ve come out of the initial withdrawal and now straight into full blown. I have a lot of the same symptoms as before (nausea in the morning, can’t concentrate, feeling some doom, etc) and it’s getting worse by the day so I’m thinking I should reinstate to 20mgs or even try adding 5 to see if that helps. Any suggestions??? I really don’t want to reinstate but I can’t go through this again and I’m not interested in adding a benzo regimen either. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks 🙂

Just wanted to pop in and say hello!  I am also in withdrawal and I am also a type 1 diabetic :)  The insane anxiety can really raise blood sugar.  Do you have a CGM*?

* Continuous glucose monitoring (CGM) device

Edited by ChessieCat
added *

April 2011 - citalopram 20 mg

April 2018 - tapered in 4 weeks

Nov 2018 - reinstated 20 mg

Stopped 8 days later bad reaction

November 5 2020 - reinstated citalopram 0.5mg. Increase to 1mg

November 10 2020 - stopped citalopram.  

December 8 2020 - reinstate 2.5mg citalopram. Stayed on until December 17

December 20 2020 - discontinue citalopram again 

Dec 2020 - start ativan for akathisia 

Nov 2020 to Jan 2021 - tried low dose Seroquel, Risperidone, Luvox, Zoloft and Prozac. just added symptoms no benefit

Feb 2021 - ativan went paradoxical. landed in hospital. cold turkeyed.

Totally drug free since Feb 21, 2021