Toulouse: 5 years after 14 years of Paxil - success story

• ChessieCat changed the title to Toulouse: 5 years after 14 years of Paxil - success story
  • Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! Thanks so much for coming back and letting us know you're doing so well.

I wish you a very sweet and sunny life :) 

2006 : 20mg Paxil+Bromazepam. 2008 : cold turkey of both. 2010 : Reinstatement 20mg Paxil + Bromazepam.

2014-June2017 : Switch from Bromazepam to Prazepam, slow taper to 0mg.

2018 to August 2019 : Paxil 20mg taper (3% every 15 days). 22 Aug 2019 updose to 10mg (was at 8.4mg).

25th Sept 2019 To April 2020 : found SA, holding at 10mg Paxil. 

April 2020 : Paxil 10mg to Prozac 7mg bridge. Details topic/21457

Current Supplements : magnesium citrate + fish oil

Current medication :

* 7pm Diazepam  : 0.85mg (15 Aug 2022) / 0.95 mg (24 April 2022) / 1mg Diazepam (since 29 Aug 2020)

* 8am Prozac : 6.16mg (25 oct 2022, feel awful, slight updose) / 6.08 mg (9 oct 2022) / 6.24mg (11 July 22) / 6.44mg (22 May 22) / 6.64mg (4 Nov 21) / 6.72mg (8 oct 21) / 6.8 mg (15 Sept 21)6.88mg (14 Aug 21)/ 6.92mg (23 Jun 21)

I am not a professional, I don't give medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

@Toulouse

well done and congratulations!!!  

always great to hear of another Paxil survivor 

Go out and enjoy the rest of your life drug free and never again plagued with wd symptoms . What a great feeling that must be  ! 
you should be very proud 😊

Nov 2018 Pregabalin 2x50 mg a day to help with Paxil WD. Aug 2019 2 x 25mg a day, April 2020 45mg, May 40mg, June 35mg, July 30mg, end July 25mg, Aug 24mg, June 2021 14mg, Jan 2022 14mg (2x7mg a day), Oct 10mg, Nov 5mg, December 25th 2022 0mg 🎈

Oct 2004 - Oct 2018 Paxil 20 mg, Nov 15mg, Dec 10mg,  Feb 2019 7.5mg crashed, Feb 8.5mg, Nov 8mg, March 2020 7.2mg, April 6.5mg, May 5.9mg, June 5.4mg, July 4.8mg, Dec 4.5mg, Jan 2021 4mg, Feb 3.6mg, March 3.2mg, April 2.9mg, Aug 2.7mg, Sept 2.4mg, Oct 2.2mg, Nov 2mg, Dec 1.8mg, Feb 2022 1.6mg, March 1.4mg, April 1.2mg, May 1.0mg, June 0.8mg, July 0.6mg, Aug 0.4mg, Sep 0.2mg, October 6th 2022 0mg  🎈

December 25th 2022 drug free 

these dates are approximate 

• Mentor

Great work!!! Glad to hear you are doing well! Thanks for sharing your story!! All the best in your future !!

I follow The Plant Paradox lifestyle by Dr.Gundry. This lifestyle has given me my life back and I feel better than I have ever felt in my life. It has enabled me to finally get off of this medication and truly live my life. Nutrition is the key to health!!!!! 

2008 to 2019  - 20 mg Paroxetine

Attempted 2 CT's around the 5-6 year mark. Were absolutely terrible and reinstated. Was never explained by the doctor the seriousness of the short half life of this drug. 

2017 - Attempted a tapered discontinuation of this drug and reinstated after being unsuccessful.

2019 - Feb. 12 - After a three month taper I am off of paroxetine. The 3 months were terrible, awful withdrawal feelings. I followed the doctors guidelines for the reduction of this drug and now know it was way too fast. 
2019 - Oct. 12 - 8 months off paroxetine. 75% improvement since coming off the drug. Definitely have had tons of challenges along the way. Let’s go!!!! 

2021 - Feb. 12 - 24 months off paroxetine. I have minor challenges now. Tinnitus/Headaches are still around but are reduced by a massive amount. 

Hi great news!

Well done!

Can i ask you fast tapered?

Did you suffer most days for the first 3 years? Then did things improve?

How are you now around people and crowds?

Again well done 😃

May 2016 - Aug 2016 - Prozac 20mg

March 2017 - June 2017 - Sertraline 100mg. Horrific withdrawal 5 m onths.

July 2017 - Aug 2017 - Mirtazapine 15mg. Horrific.

August 2017 - December 2017 Fluoxetine 10mg for 2 weeks ghen Escitalopram 20mg for 12 weeks. Never felt normal since this. Or baseline.

March 2018 - June 2018 - Escitalopram 5mg for 12 weeks. Stopped and here i am full of symptoms i never had.

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, Leo1983 said:

Toulouse's drug signature answers these questions:

Been on Paxil 14 years. 40mg for the bulk of those.

20mg in 2014

10mg March of 2015 - then tapered to 5mg

Then to 2.5 to 1.5 - to 1mg, from Mar-August.

As of August 23 2015, I am flying without a net.  Paxil free!

WD symptoms since tapering mid- 2015:

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

Thank you @Toulouse for sharing your journey! You are an inspiration! 

2008-2016 - Lexapro 10 mg, tapered to 2.5 mg over one year then CT without issues
Feb 2 - July 24, 2019 - restarted Lexapro 5 mg for insomnia

July 25 - Nov 19, 2019 - Lexapro 10 mg, resulted in increased anxiety and depression
Nov 20 - Dec 11, 2019 - 3-week FT from Lexapro 10 mg to 7.5 mg to 5 mg to 0
Dec 12, 2019 - Feb 4, 2020 - drug-free and feeling good until horrible WD hit
Feb 5 - Feb 16, 2020 - Paxil 10 mg, adverse reaction
Feb 18, 2020 - reinstated Lexapro 5 mg

Nov 22 - Dec 12, 2020 - transition from pill to homemade liquid

Dec 13, 2020 - 4.7 mg; Jan 3, 2021 - 4.5 mg; Jan 24 - 4.3 mg; Feb 14 - 4.2 mg; March 7 - 4.1 mg

daily meditation 10-40 minutes, yoga 30 minutes; CBT & ACT therapy

• Mentor

Congratulations @Toulouse

Loved reading your success story 

You are a true survivor, I am so happy for you.

All the best to you.

1999-2020  20 mg Paxil

Bridged with Fluoxetine to help me get off Paxil.

2022 Fluoxetine 15 mg 12/12 14mg 27/12  13mg jan 12mg feb 11mg mars 10mg, 9 mg 8,5 mg 7.6mg 7.0 mg 6,3 mg 5,6 mg 5,0 mg 4,5 mg 4,0 mg 3.6mg 3,2 mg 2,9 mg 2,6 mg 2,3 mg 2,0 mg 1.8 mg

I am not a medical professional nor is this a medical advice. I only talk from my own experience.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you, Toulouse--It is so kind of you to share your success.  It sounds like you did a lot, too, to make it happen.

With much appreciation,

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022

On 9/6/2020 at 2:16 AM, Leo1983 said:

Hi great news!

Well done!

How are you now around people and crowds?

Again well done 😃

I think it was over 3 months or so (I have to go back. it was way too fast.).   I'd say the first 2 years were the toughest.  With improvements starting gradually in the middle of year two, but still lots of things, symptoms.  Sleep, muscle twitches,  anxiety.  But by year three I was doing substantially better.  Years four and five, I've all but put the Paxil behind me.  I don't think about it anymore, or the suffering I endured.   By year 2.5, 3, I was better around crowds, able to go to concerts, etc.  Now,  (Pre pandemic) I was going to very large rock concerts.   One thing I can't do is drink alcohol anymore.  I don't know if it's related or not, but around year 2, I found that if I drank a glass of wine (or two beers) I would wake up with a thumping heart, a bit fast, enough to wake me and worry me.  Still happens.  I don't drink often, sometimes one beer.  But more than that, my body can't seem to handle.  Prior to tapering off of Paxil, I could drink whatever.  My digestive system is just more sensitive. (I picked up a rice allergy, which is the thing that almost killed me and I didn't know until 2 years later what actually caused my anaphylactic shock).  I think finding out what caused it, helped alleviate a lot of uncertainty and anxiety in itself (I had 2 dumb allergists, who didn't do a full allergy work up / skin prick, only blood test, which is like 30% accurate and in my case plain wrong).  I have lost faith in holistic doctors from my experience, They made me worse after I made some improvements. Mainly the quack who told me I had a mold illness after doing some obscure tests and putting me on a bunch of weird medications and caused my paranoia and fear of mold to exacerbate my anxiety when it was starting to improve.   I'll never forgive that guy (I can't sue, it wouldn't be enough money to cover the attorney).  So meditation, exercise, eating healthy and time is what I think helped me the most.  

I will add that around year 2 I was getting frustrated with the anxiety and depression, the impulsive, bad thoughts I was having.  I almost went back on some sort of SSRI.  I was desperate.  In my case I decided to try to deal with the suffering a bit more.  It may  be controversial, but I found that one tablet of Benadryl helped me during that period if I was having a particularly bad night (sleep or anxiety).  I did this maybe a handful of times, not daily.  This seemed to alleviate a couple tough times for me towards the tail end of my suffering.  Soon after that, I didn't need any sort of help with a pill.  I felt ashamed for doing it, but it is the compromise I made to myself to not get on another SSRI.  I would do whatever it took.   I understand others suffering, they may need to get back on something and try to get off that after stabilizing, I almost did it myself.  But I had come so far, I didn't want to go back, so it made sense to me.  I also found that taking a Claritin in the morning every day for a couple months MAY have helped somewhat.  However, I was having allergy problems, so I wasn't too concerned about taking Claritin (which is much more subtle a pill than Benadryl which will knock you out).   These are little things that may have contributed to my healing, and maybe a coincidence.   

Edited by Toulouse
Adding more details.

20mg in 2014

Short temper, hostile. Brain zaps. Bruxism. Wild vivid dreams  Hives Food intolerance Lump in throat, . Joint pain. Knees, elbows.  Pain in feet. Numbness in hands. Shaking, like I'm cold. Trembling. Tremors, muscle twitches all over. Facial tics. Eye, lips. Head.  Floaters in my eyes. Severe Insomnia (between months 4-5)  then returned from March-October 2016. I'm sleeping better now. Dreams have returned to normal (month 7) High levels of anxiety when around large crowds or in large rooms. Intestinal spasms, heartburn.  Dizzy spells.  Panic/Anxiety Attacks suddenly developed months 8 out.  4 years out, 98% feeling back to normal.  (October 9 2019)

Congratulations Toulouse.  It's wonderful to hear that you are able to put it all behind you and move on. That's the true sign of healing.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thank you for posting, Toulouse! Your story is inspirational and wonderful to hear!

3/21/19 started Bupropion XL 150 mg

3/21/19 started Risperidone 2mg

7/7/19 start Abilify half dose 5 mg. discontinue Risperidone

7/9/19 full dose Abilify 10 mg

7/29/19 discontinued Abilify due to panicky side effects

8/2/19 Began Latuda 20 mg

8/5/19 discontinued Latuda due to similar side effects 

8/10/19 discontinued Bupropion after realizing it was causing the insomnia

From 8/10/19 no drugs whatsoever

Currently taking vitamin C, D, E, a probiotic and fish oil. 
Message me here if you want: 
https://www.facebook.com/morra.lal.3/  I've been getting a lot of fake friend requests, so please send a message before friend requesting me, thank you!

Did u have any sexuall side effects like pssd?

01.12.2018 - 01.03.2019 - Took sertraline and than fluvosamine for major depression. 

Got SEVERE PSSD (no libido, no erections, pleasureless orgasma, total genital anesthesia, emotional numbness, lost of personality)

No wave and windows, no improvement so far. Just lije 1-2% in numbness in first two months post quitting. 

Im suicidal because of pssd. I dont believe in recovery since my state didnt improve in any significant way.

1 hour ago, Naczoz said:

Did u have any sexuall side effects like pssd?

No, I have not had any effects of that nature.   Mine were mostly neurological (anxiety, dizziness, numbness, tingling, muscle twitching, etc).

20mg in 2014

23 hours ago, brassmonkey said:

Congratulations Toulouse.  It's wonderful to hear that you are able to put it all behind you and move on. That's the true sign of healing.

Thank you Brassmonkey, reading your posts over the last few years have also helped me along my way.  I wish you and everyone else here a very speedy and complete recovery.

20mg in 2014

Thanks for sharing your story it is comforting to me as I’m in the first year of withdrawal and suffered a lot so I tried a new drug and had even worse reaction then tried original and couldn’t tolderate it so now I’m back to square one and worse off :( I hope I can recover enough to be able to work as this pain and torment plus worry of paying bills/er visit bills is soo overwhelming. 

Thank you for your story and so happy for you that you are doing great now. 

I am 4 years off Ad's and suffer with brutal anxiety everyday and it's got a lot worse over the last 2 years. I feel beaten down with it now. Was your anxiety destroying your life to this degree? I am almost housebound with it now and feeling defeated with very little quality of life. Feel so sad for the loss of who I was,  I came off the meds 4 years ago cold turkey and never been the same since. Perhaps I need to work harder at lifestyle and I would if anxiety wasn't so crippling. I have read your story and see you had anxiety but wondered how bad it was and if you can offer any help surrounding anxiety? Thank you. 

Waves. 

Various antipressants from 1991 to 2016, Sertraline and many switches over the years.

Last AD's taken:

Citalopram for two weeks only May 2016  to June 2016, last AD taken and CT'd.

2012 to May 2016 Duloxitine 60mg. Doctor switched to Citalopram 20mg May 2016.

1 hour ago, waves12 said:

Thank you for your story and so happy for you that you are doing great now. 

I am 4 years off Ad's and suffer with brutal anxiety everyday and it's got a lot worse over the last 2 years. I feel beaten down with it now. Was your anxiety destroying your life to this degree? I am almost housebound with it now and feeling defeated with very little quality of life. Feel so sad for the loss of who I was,  I came off the meds 4 years ago cold turkey and never been the same since. Perhaps I need to work harder at lifestyle and I would if anxiety wasn't so crippling. I have read your story and see you had anxiety but wondered how bad it was and if you can offer any help surrounding anxiety? Thank you. 

Waves. 

The anxiety was pretty bad.  I was afraid to leave the house, or go for walks, or drive.  But I forced myself to, a form of 'exposure therapy.'  A couple walks with my wife I had to turn around, I would feel dizzy, and then feel like I would faint or die.  I think that helped me, not staying shut in and feeding the anxiety.

Meditation was key in calming my mind. It took 3 months 2x daily 20 mins each of mindfulness meditation along with weekly therapy.   I was so bad the first visit, the therapist was afraid of me.  I was shaking, and a wreck.  She had me do a body scan and that calmed me down there.  She really helped save my life I feel.   I highly recommend meditation and therapy for the anxiety.   Calming the brain.  Then doing things that you find peaceful and joyful,  listening to light music,  aromatic smells, cooking, and practicing mindfulness while you do those things.  Then I did light workouts.  Never anything that would overexcite my body or mind though. So no heavy weights, no fast paced, rock type music.  Try not to overstimulate yourself.   I found that happened easily.  I went to an amusement park and between talking to friends, the lights, the loud music, the crowds, the rides overhead, it was too much for me and I thought I was going to pass out. I left to go home. This was during year 3, when I thought I had made some strides.  I'm sorry you're still suffering this way, I went through a lot of that too.  It did eventually lift over time.  I just tried to remember to take each day at a time and not get too down on myself if I was having a setback.  

20mg in 2014

Thank you for your speedy response. My thoughts have become so negative now and need help with them. I take on board the mediation too, I will do it for few days then give up and then leave it few weeks then start again so I am going to make a strict commitment to do twice a day for 20 mins. I do try and walk but it's more of a 'hit and run' instead of being present and I notice I am doing this alot instead of being present, very hard to be present with racing mind. 

I sadly don't have a husband or partner to support me and many friends stepped away as they feel helpless and I am not good company.

Would you mind me asking what kind of style of therapist did you have and was it for specific past problems or trauma? You don't need to answer this if too personal but it would help me if you can answer a little bit of it. 

I feel cheated of a life currently. I have a son with two little grandsons and of use to them like this and I am missing out so much. Never imagined life could be this punishing in my 50's now. 

Thank you so much again and would so grateful to you for the last questions. 

Waves 

Various antipressants from 1991 to 2016, Sertraline and many switches over the years.

Last AD's taken:

Citalopram for two weeks only May 2016  to June 2016, last AD taken and CT'd.

2012 to May 2016 Duloxitine 60mg. Doctor switched to Citalopram 20mg May 2016.

1 hour ago, waves12 said:

Thank you for your speedy response. My thoughts have become so negative now and need help with them. I take on board the mediation too, I will do it for few days then give up and then leave it few weeks then start again so I am going to make a strict commitment to do twice a day for 20 mins. I do try and walk but it's more of a 'hit and run' instead of being present and I notice I am doing this alot instead of being present, very hard to be present with racing mind. 

I sadly don't have a husband or partner to support me and many friends stepped away as they feel helpless and I am not good company.

Would you mind me asking what kind of style of therapist did you have and was it for specific past problems or trauma? You don't need to answer this if too personal but it would help me if you can answer a little bit of it. 

I feel cheated of a life currently. I have a son with two little grandsons and of use to them like this and I am missing out so much. Never imagined life could be this punishing in my 50's now. 

Thank you so much again and would so grateful to you for the last questions. 

Waves 

mine was a therapist who taught 'mindfulness' meditation and considered a 'life coach,' but in reality, the same as a therapist who handles all sorts of issues, but primary expertise should be in the depression / anxiety arena.   When your mind starts to race, you go back to your breath.   That helped me, but its not like flipping a switch.  But at least it was a tool for me to use.

20mg in 2014

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Toulouse,

congratulations on recovery.  I hope like you my anxiety is easing at least a little. 19-20 months off and Like you did I’m starting to get pissed off with the feeling of being debilitated, the perpetual ups and downs, anxiety and constant hungover feeling. Despite this, I should acknowledge I have improved a little over the last 5 months or so which is positive. I’m just becoming so impatient with how healinghappens with such little fluidity. Anyway I wanted to ask if you also experienced withdrawal induced stupidity (Such as: cognitive impairment, problems with word recall and articulation), It is by far the symptom I hate most. It’s as though the circuit in the brain has a breakage, it losses power, cuts off and meaning it can’t complete the job it set out to do. If you did experience anything similar, do you think it was interlinked with the type of anxiety you suffered and Hdid It improve as you recovered? 

Thanks.

OCT 2016 -  I quit Sertraline 50 mg CT after a family bereavement  had turned my life upside down ..  as a result it felt the drug was totally ineffective. 

MAY 2017-  After what had been an appalling 6 months (which i thought was horrific grief but now realise it is likely withdrawal is the more likely culprit)  I reinstated Sertraline at 50 mg before raising the dose to 100 mg due to not feeling any effect (again this is something that makes sense now). In time i had started to feel normal again and presumed it was because I had worked my way through my prolonged grief.  

FEB 2019 -  Life was now back on track and decided it was time to try and rid myself of the shameful daily pill pop that is AD's. I quit Sertraline Via a fast taper... but may aswell have been a CT.

JUN 2019 -  I found SA . .. realised i was withdrawing .. and had inadvertently made multiple mistakes along the way.

NOV 2019 - I'm roughly 8-9 months into withdrawal & STRUGGLING

8 hours ago, Kimboslice said:

Hi Toulouse,

congratulations on recovery.  I hope like you my anxiety is easing at least a little. 19-20 months off and Like you did I’m starting to get pissed off with the feeling of being debilitated, the perpetual ups and downs, anxiety and constant hungover feeling. Despite this, I should acknowledge I have improved a little over the last 5 months or so which is positive. I’m just becoming so impatient with how healinghappens with such little fluidity. Anyway I wanted to ask if you also experienced withdrawal induced stupidity (Such as: cognitive impairment, problems with word recall and articulation), It is by far the symptom I hate most. It’s as though the circuit in the brain has a breakage, it losses power, cuts off and meaning it can’t complete the job it set out to do. If you did experience anything similar, do you think it was interlinked with the type of anxiety you suffered and Hdid It improve as you recovered? 

Thanks.

It's good that you are seeing some gradual progress.  It was slow for me but the good days were becoming more frequent until they became the norm eventually.  I did have cognitive impairment:  losing my sense of direction while driving was particularly scary, I thought I was getting dementia.  Forgetting names, not remembering faces, or the right word.  That came in waves and went away, however, I find when I am overstressed, I will have some memory issues that might last a couple days.  Just last week that happened to me,  trouble recalling names.  I believe that's actually an anxiety issue because when I do get anxiety this might happen, particularly if I'm not getting sleep because of it.   Last week I've had some anxiety rear its head, but it's expected because of high stress at the job, and stress at home with my kids' e-learning and troubles they are having.   But at least the anxiety has a cause, whereas in WD, the anxiety was just omnipresent.   

20mg in 2014

On 9/23/2020 at 11:03 PM, Toulouse said:

It's good that you are seeing some gradual progress.  It was slow for me but the good days were becoming more frequent until they became the norm eventually.  I did have cognitive impairment:  losing my sense of direction while driving was particularly scary, I thought I was getting dementia.  Forgetting names, not remembering faces, or the right word.  That came in waves and went away, however, I find when I am overstressed, I will have some memory issues that might last a couple days.  Just last week that happened to me,  trouble recalling names.  I believe that's actually an anxiety issue because when I do get anxiety this might happen, particularly if I'm not getting sleep because of it.   Last week I've had some anxiety rear its head, but it's expected because of high stress at the job, and stress at home with my kids' e-learning and troubles they are having.   But at least the anxiety has a cause, whereas in WD, the anxiety was just omnipresent.   

Yeah for sure. it’s better than not having any improvements at all so I shouldn’t grumble. It could be so much worse. Sometimes it’s so difficult to keep prospective in the bad moments and remember your moving forward rather than stagnating. The evidence of improvement actually tends to be more obvious than you think if you just make a little conscious effort to look out for it.

Over the last couple of days I’ve been out to the pub with the family and even enjoyed a cheeky pint with minimal repercussion, when 3 months or so ago the social aspect of doing this would have been an unbearable. So it has to be thumbs up I suppose. 

I know how you feel having driving difficulties. I for one have always regarded myself as a good driver but after WD’s affects on my cognitive abilities I felt like a liability on the road going from from being a natural behind the wheel to a seriously twitchy, robotic like driver almost overnight. It seriously sucks because I LOVE driving. It’s always been a form of therapy for me in many ways. But hey ho what you gonna do. I’ll have to stay with more conventional forms of therapy for the moment. 

Word recall (difficulty finding the right word) frustrates me the most. Being expressive / descriptive in conversation, something that has alway been a natural ability of mine Maybe not in an intellectually, but definitely emotionally / socially, has become a chore. It has to be the part of  withdrawal I consider the most infuriating. Dealing / coming to terms with the loss of little things you identify with as self is such a difficult thing to ingest, kinda like “who the hell am I right now”. 

Any who, it’s great news you’ve moved on and symptoms like these are problems of the past. I really appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. It really is comforting.  

Just quickly.. gonna ask one more  question if I can. You mentioned your working a stressful job currently. Did you work throughout your withdrawal or have you been able to take on more now your better?

OCT 2016 -  I quit Sertraline 50 mg CT after a family bereavement  had turned my life upside down ..  as a result it felt the drug was totally ineffective. 

MAY 2017-  After what had been an appalling 6 months (which i thought was horrific grief but now realise it is likely withdrawal is the more likely culprit)  I reinstated Sertraline at 50 mg before raising the dose to 100 mg due to not feeling any effect (again this is something that makes sense now). In time i had started to feel normal again and presumed it was because I had worked my way through my prolonged grief.  

FEB 2019 -  Life was now back on track and decided it was time to try and rid myself of the shameful daily pill pop that is AD's. I quit Sertraline Via a fast taper... but may aswell have been a CT.

JUN 2019 -  I found SA . .. realised i was withdrawing .. and had inadvertently made multiple mistakes along the way.

NOV 2019 - I'm roughly 8-9 months into withdrawal & STRUGGLING

I did work throughout, but it was much harder and I needed to reduce my work load by at least half. That lasted a good 5 months or so, then slowly I was able to handle more workload.   

20mg in 2014

• 2 months later...

Your story gives me hope that I will heal.  Thank you for posting it.

Paxil 2001- 2016.  Came off of it on a slow taper.  After 9-12 months, I was put back on Paxil because I was unable to function. Paxil reinstatement triggered a rash.  I was then placed on 20 mg of Cymbalta on 2018.  I chose to take 10 mg.  I then had to be taken off of Cymbalta due to it causing cardiac issues in 2019.  I was placed on Seroquel and it caused a rash.  I was then moved to 12.5 mg of sertraline  where I did a fast taper which ended April/May of 2020.  I had to fast taper because of joint pain and joint redness.  August 2020, I was considered presumptive positive.  Since then, I’ve been prescribed Atenolol and Diazepam for withdrawal symptoms of tachycardia and massive anxiety.  I take these very sporadically and less than 1/4 of a tablet at a time.  I was given metformin in September 2020 for diabetes and it triggered massive anxiety after 1/4 of a pill.  I attempted to reinstate 1 mg of sertraline on 9/20/20.  I am supposed to be taking B12 injections and prescribed vitamin D.  I will stop these for now.  On 9/29/20 I was moved from 75 mcg generic levothyroxine to 88 mcg Synthroid.  This triggered anxiety approximately 2.5 hours later.

10/5/20 less than 1/8 teaspoon of Benadryl 

10/7/20 & 10/8/20 .10ml Benadryl (stopped 10/2020)

10/9/20 3mg Atenolol  (stopped 11/2020)

10/16/20 started taking magnesium citrate during the day (stopped 10/2020 due to it triggering more anxiety)

11/9/20 grain of diazepam @ 2:30 am for muscle spasm pain (stopped 11/2020)

11/10/20 .50mg of metoprolol tartrate (stopped 11/10/20 due to nausea, weakness in arms & legs, anxiety)

11/11/20 using lidocaine patch on neck and chest for pain due to muscle spasms

1/1/21       1 drop of liquid b12 (stopped 1/4/21)

• 2 weeks later...

I loved your story! Thank you for your inspiring success story! It is making my journey much more hopeful.

I think having hope in times like this is the best medicine or cure for our healing.

I truly wish the best and great health rest of your life without your medication. 🙂

- 2007 Celexa 20mg - 2012 Celexa increased to 40mg - 2017 Celexa decreased to 20mg - 2018 (April) Switched to Pristiq 50mg - 2018 (September) Increased to 100mg of Pristiq

- 2020 July Decreased Pristiq to 75mg - 2020 September 50mg - 2020 December 5th, 50mg - 2020 December 6th, 25mg - 2021 January increased to Pristiq 50mg 

- 2021 February 12, 45mg - 2021 March 14, 40 mg - 2021 April 13, 36 mg - 2021 May 13,  32.4 mg / HOLD Due to family sickness / June 22, 29.16 mg

• 1 year later...

@Toulouse how long did it take for your vivid dreams to disappeare?

2017 october--2018 march->(6 month) fluoxetine 20,30 mg-->cold turkey= after 2 month semen leakage

2018 july---2018 Aug-->(24 days) fluoxetine 20 mg --> cold turkey = vivid dreams begin

2018 december 2019 Jan-->(1 month) Amitriptyline 25--> cold turkey
--------++++--horror of drugs begins. Taking one after another and cold turkey-------+++------------------
2019 May--2019 May--> (12 days) Lexapro cold turkey

2019 May--2019 august -->(3 month)Cobazam 10 mg +amitriptyline 25 mg --> clobazam cold turkey

----2019 october ---> went cold turkey amitriptyline 25 mg.

2019 october--2020 Jan -->(3 months) duloxetine cymbalta 30mg --->cold turkey

2020 jan-2020 Apr--> (3 months) paroxetine 25 mg --> Cold turkey

2020 July--2021 Jan--> (6 months) amitriptyline 50 mg ,75 mg,100 mg ,125 mg -> cold turkey

2021 jan--2021 May--> (4 months) imipramine 75 mg -->cold turkey

2021 may-2021 Aug--> (3 months) nortriptyline 25 mg --> cold turkey== still semen leakage and vivid dream

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone, just updating, it's been EIGHT YEARS off Paxil now. I have been doing great and have been really stable since year three or so.  I still get anxiety from time to time but it's very manageable and usually if I drink too strong or too much coffee.   I do get slight dizzy spells when the anxiety ramps up, but they're like short bursts, almost like the brain zaps we all know.   I also wanted to report that I had a very tough year with work, just working a lot more than usual, stress deadlines.   I was getting muscle twitches all over my body, particularly my dominant but also legs, arms, intestinal. That lasted a few months and abated after my schedule eased up.  So I think that's the sort of residual WD effects that I'll probably just have to live with when I'm over stressed.   

I think the damage is evident, that it is from the Paxil usage.  So now my nervous system is hyper-sensitive.  There's nothing that can really be done to fix that sort of thing, maybe even MORE time, but at 8 years, I'd say this is as healed as I'll get, or close to it.  However, I haven't meditated in a long time (years).  I am thinking of taking that back up, actually tomorrow, as I have pulled out my yoga mat and have it set out.   

But honestly, I'm doing great mostly and living a normal life, but there are small reminders here and there of the trauma the drug has caused me.  But overall, I would say I'm happy and consider this a very good outcome, considering how worried I was in years 1 and 2 that I'd ever be the same again.  So, keep trucking.

20mg in 2014

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you @Toulousefor coming back and giving us an update.  It is truly a kindness.

Sending you peace and well-being,

Arbor

Zoloft: 1995 - 2015

Prozac: 2015 - 2018 (tapered from 40mg x day on July 31 to 30mg on August 31 to 20mg on September 31 to 10mg October 31 to 0mg on  December 15, 2018

Gabapentin: 2016 to 2019  (tapered from 300mg x day to 150mg on August 31, 2019 to 75mg on September 15 to 50mg on September 31 to 25ishmg on October 15 to 0mg on December 1, 2019

Enalapril: 2010 - 2019

Lipitor: 2017 -2017

Metformin: 2000 - 2020

Liothyronine: 2007 - 2019

Levothyroxine: 2000 - 2022