MaggieTulliver: Neulactil / periciazine withdrawal

MaggieTulliver

Hi All

Brand new here.

Have been on neulactil for 4 years due to bad reaction to anti depressive switch. Massive weight gain. Have been to various doctors who have said to go cold turkey. Did not work. After advice from those who may have been through the tapering process.

MOD NOTE:

From drugs.com https://www.drugs.com/international/neulactil.html

Ingredient matches for Neulactil

Periciazine

Periciazine is reported as an ingredient of Neulactil in the following countries:

Australia

From wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periciazine

Periciazine, also known as pericyazine or propericiazine, is a drug that belongs to the phenothiazine class of typical antipsychotics.

Edited by ChessieCat
added drug info

Lexapro 20mg 2003 - present.

Change to Effexor April 2016, bad reaction, back on Lexapro 1 week later.

Neulactil 2.5mg (tablet form) April 2016; Neulactil reduction 25% starting 25th August 2020, 4 weeks; Neulactil reduction further 12.5% starting 25th September, 2 weeks.

• ChessieCat changed the title to MaggieTulliver: Neulactil / periciazine withdrawal

Welcome to SA, Maggie.  Sorry for the delay in responding.  No, cold turkey is not a good idea. 

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please use the following link and press "save" when you're finished.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Are you having symptoms from your cold turkey?  Here is some information on withdrawal and healing:

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

These explain the healing process really well:

Video:  Healing From Antidepressants - Patterns of Recovery

Brain Remodelling 

Regarding tapering, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of your current dose every four weeks. Some have to go more slowly.  Are you feeling stable enough after your cold turkey to taper?

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

There are basically three methods to get your taper doses: using a digital scale, such as the Gemini 20 scale available on Amazon; using a prescription liquid or making your own liquid; or having a compounding pharmacy make your doses.  I don't see a liquid Neulactil looking on the Internet, and I don't know whether this drug is soluble to make your own liquid.  Unless you want to go with a compounding pharmacy, the scale may be the best route for you.  I'm guessing you're using tablets. I can help you with tapering using a scale if that's the route you choose to take.  In tablet form, what doses does Neulaticil come in in Australia?

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions, connect with other members and complete your rug signature.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg 

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper.  Current dose as of Jan. 11, 2022: 5.4mg 

Taper is 71% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan-Sept 2016 tapered to 16mg.  

Held until Aug 2021, tapered for 4 weeks to 14.4mg and holding.  

Taper is 80% complete.  

Supplements: omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for the follow up. 

I am no longer doing cold turkey after I suffered terrible withdrawal symptoms 10 days later (dizziness, anxiety, insomnia). I am now taking three quarters of a tablet ( whole tablet is 2.5mg) and it's day 9 with little to no symptoms. I will continue for another 3 weeks.

My plan is to drop to half of 2.5 mg after 4 weeks and see how it goes. Tablets can be cut in half, then quartered. No liquid form available in Australia. 

It's such a small dose, but I am hyper sensitive to medication. 

Will keep you updated as I progress.

Thanks again.

Neulactil 2.5mg (tablet form) April 2016; Neulactil reduction 25% starting 25th August 2020, 4 weeks; Neulactil reduction further 12.5% starting 25th September, 2 weeks.

13 hours ago, MaggieTulliver said:

My plan is to drop to half of 2.5 mg

I strongly urge you to slow down your taper.  These drugs are most potent at the lower range, and the rate you're tapering is akin to a cold turkey in effect with regard to withdrawal. This is especially so since you're hyper-sensitive to medication.  As I wrote in my previous post, we recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.  Your drop to 3/4 of the 2.5mg pill was a 25% drop.

I suggest you order the Gemini-20 scale from Amazon and I can help you with doing a 10% taper by weighing powder made from the tablet.

Using a digital scale to measure doses

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 71% complete.

Taper is 80% complete.  

Supplements: omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for your reply. I will look into purchasing the scale. 

I wonder why the doctors I have seen say cutting to half straight away is ok, even though I've told them about my sensitivity.

Day 10 and no withdrawal symptoms so far. But I find after day 10 is when the symptoms begin to emerge. If they do (which I'm sure they will...) I'll try the 10% reduction. 

Thanks again for your advice. 

I really appreciate it.

• Moderator Emeritus

From this post Cold Turkey and Too-Fast Tapers

On 7/6/2020 at 5:44 AM, brassmonkey said:

I will be blunt.  Unless there is a serious medical reason, Do Not Cold Turkey or Fast Taper.  Take your time tapering.  The pain and suffering are just not worth rushing it, and over time you will get off the drugs and recover much faster by doing a gradual taper.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    13 November 2021 -  0mg Pristiq      

Woohoo!!!  Finally off Pristiq   

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

Mid Nov 2021 changed to low carb diet due to diabetes & cholesterol.  Lost 1/16 body weight, BP has reduced a lot. 

Links to my exercises and weights.  I also do 3 x 5.5 min with HIIT on exercise bike with 20 secs/min as fast as I can cycle.

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, MaggieTulliver said:

I wonder why the doctors I have seen say cutting to half straight away is ok, even though I've told them about my sensitivity.

This reason this site exists is because not many medical professionals understand withdrawal caused by psychiatric drugs and how to get off them by tapering by listening to your symptoms.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:    13 November 2021 -  0mg Pristiq      

Woohoo!!!  Finally off Pristiq   

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

My full tapering program     My Intro (goes to my tapering graph)    My website

PLEASE NOTE:  I am not a medical professional.  I provide information and make suggestions.  I do not provide tapering advice via PM.  Please post questions in your Introduction topic.  Please do not tag me for any reason.  I am an unpaid volunteer and assist members if I am able to and when I have the time.  Thank you for your understanding.

Mid Nov 2021 changed to low carb diet due to diabetes & cholesterol.  Lost 1/16 body weight, BP has reduced a lot. 

Links to my exercises and weights.  I also do 3 x 5.5 min with HIIT on exercise bike with 20 secs/min as fast as I can cycle.

18 hours ago, MaggieTulliver said:

I'll try the 10% reduction.

Very good decision, MaggieTulliver.  You will also need some size 00 gelatin capsules for your dose, also available on Amazon.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 71% complete.

Taper is 80% complete.  

Thank you all for your sage advice. 

Day 14, on 25% reduction of 2.5mg Neulactil. No withdrawals so far. Have been taking magnesium supplements, vitamin D, B.

At what point would I start noticing withdrawal symptoms? I've reduced by 50% before and noticed an intense reaction after 10 days. Hoping I can stick with 25% reduction for another 3 weeks and perhaps reduce after that via scale to 35%. 

Is this a good idea, do you think?

Thanks again, this forum has been extremely informative. I was beginning to wonder if I'd ever get off these anti psychs. 

1 hour ago, MaggieTulliver said:

At what point would I start noticing withdrawal symptoms?

It's difficult to say.  Sometimes withdrawal symptoms can be delayed.  If all is well after three weeks, you could try going down another 10% using the scale.  Keep in mind that you would reduce by 10% of your CURRENT dose (whatever 3/4 of 2.5mg weighs,) not the original dose of 2.5.  This is important because you want your reductions to be smaller and smaller as you get lower and lower.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 71% complete.

Taper is 80% complete.  

• 1 month later...

Update: 1 month at 25% reduction, no withdrawal symptoms; further 12.5% for 2 weeks so far, no withdrawal symptoms. 2 more weeks then a further 10%.

So glad this attempt is SO FAR successful. 

Thank you for your advice, sincerely. 

3 hours ago, MaggieTulliver said:

Update: 1 month at 25% reduction, no withdrawal symptoms; further 12.5% for 2 weeks so far, no withdrawal symptoms. 2 more weeks then a further 10%.

Could you please update your signature to reflect your reductions, including dates (approximate is fine) and your current dose.  Are you leaving the 20mg Lexapro in place?  Use this link then press "save."

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 71% complete.

Taper is 80% complete.  

Yes, I am still on Lexapro 20mg, no change in dose. I am only weaning off the Neulactil at the moment.