nayeli: mirtazapine, stomach issues, chills all over

nayeli

Hello all,

I could use some help determining whats happening to me. Went to bed around 11pm and woke up around 2pm. Woke in panic around 6am to write an email, uncomfortable sleep (pain in ribs), headache, feeling like withdrawal but I haven't started tapering yet. Sorry for (TMI) but I had significant diarrhea earlier and havent had an appetite; slight ringing in my ears also. Can someone help with this? 

Thanks so much. 

•Sept 2017- started (25mg ?) discontinued CT after a few days,  Venlafaxine (low dose, discontinued after one week due to constipation/bloating) and finally 15mg Lexapro | took regularly for a while 

•December 2018- Off and On 15 mg Escitalopram CT; added 10 mg adderall taking occasionally

2019- 10mg Citalopram for (2-3?) months quit cold turkey , also taking concerta 15mg -30mg a day for 3 months and CT

April 2020- CT marijuana/cigs-- traumatic event caused me to stop-- heavy withdrawal, psychosis, short term memory loss, insomnia

April 2020 - mirtazapine 7.5mg help with sleep/racing thoughts, anxiety, appetite 

June 2020 to present -increased to 15mg 

September 2020- began taper by 10% each month 

June 2021 - got down to 6.5mg and had a mental breakdown due to work stress and home stress; spent 10 days in inpatient and was put on 400mg Seroquel/quetiapine. No longer taking mirtazapine. Drs. diagnosed with "new" illness and had no idea about withdrawals. Could not really advocate for myself. 

July - October 2021 - 400mg Seroquel; only on one medication after being prescribed a cocktail. Refused cocktail and taking seroquel to sleep. 

Hello all,

I need help immediately please. Feeling like **** and I havent tapered mirt. Sorry for replying on this thread but I could use some help determining whats happening to me.

Went to bed around 11pm and woke up around 2pm. Woke in panic around 6am to write an email, uncomfortable sleep (pain in ribs), headache, feeling like withdrawal but I haven't started tapering yet. Sorry for (TMI) but I had significant diarrhea earlier and havent had an appetite; slight ringing in my ears also. Can someone help with this? 

Please help.  Thanks so much. 

•Sept 2017- started (25mg ?) discontinued CT after a few days,  Venlafaxine (low dose, discontinued after one week due to constipation/bloating) and finally 15mg Lexapro | took regularly for a while 

•December 2018- Off and On 15 mg Escitalopram CT; added 10 mg adderall taking occasionally

2019- 10mg Citalopram for (2-3?) months quit cold turkey , also taking concerta 15mg -30mg a day for 3 months and CT

April 2020- CT marijuana/cigs-- traumatic event caused me to stop-- heavy withdrawal, psychosis, short term memory loss, insomnia

April 2020 - mirtazapine 7.5mg help with sleep/racing thoughts, anxiety, appetite 

June 2021 - got down to 6.5mg and had a mental breakdown due to work stress and home stress; spent 10 days in inpatient and was put on 400mg Seroquel/quetiapine. No longer taking mirtazapine. Drs. diagnosed with "new" illness and had no idea about withdrawals. Could not really advocate for myself. 

July - October 2021 - 400mg Seroquel; only on one medication after being prescribed a cocktail. Refused cocktail and taking seroquel to sleep. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to nayeli: mirtazapine, stomach issues, chills all over
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, nayeli.

How long have you had these symptoms?  

Did you have withdrawal symptoms after the Sertraline CT?  After the Escitalopram CT?  After the Citalopram CT?  After the Concerta CT?  Have these symptom continued or gone away?

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Hi Gridley,

For one day only! I am much better today. About 85% better. 

I hardly remember any withdrawal symptoms from Sertraline CT, Esitalopram CT, Citalopram CT, and Concerta CT. I used marijuana through out though. Drank occasionally as well. 

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm very glad you're so much better.  

We recommend non-drug methods to cope with life and symptoms. Take a look at the links in the following link and see which of them you think might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All,

I’m in the process of tapering Mirtazapine. Currently on 15mg and would like to taper 10% per month. 

I have a couple of clarification questions about dosage 

1. If I use a 10ml syringe, does that mean 1mg of mirt = 1ml of water? To make liquid solution for 15mg of mirt I would need to measure 10ml of water +another 5ml and dissolve the pill in that and draw up the entire solution? 

2. Would you recommend getting both a 10ml and 1ml syringe for more accurate doses as I drop below 15? 

thank you so much 

Yes, this would work, but you will get what is called a "suspension", which is tiny particles of the tablet floating in the water. So you will have to shake liquid very well before removing any to make up your dose.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

• 1 month later...

Began transitioning from pill to liquid. So far so good. Currently taking 15mg of mirtazapine; crushing pill on aluminum foil with back of a spoon. Pouring in 10ml water and 5ml oraPlus solution into a jar. Letting it sit for about an hour mix and take before bed. Not the best taste wise but gets the job done. So far I’ve been doing this for about a week. Plan to continue transitioning for 2-3 weeks more. And will begin tapering 5% every 2 weeks of course listening to my body to see how the cuts will go. 

• 10 months later...

Quetiapine 400mgs, looking to taper but not sure if now is the right time

Hi all,

Im at a bit of a cross roads, in between a rock and a hard place. 

I absolutely hate the way this medicine (quetiapine) makes me feel. I wake up groggy no matter how much sleep I get. I got fired from my job due to incompetencies; I believe as a result of this medication and withdrawals from mirtazapine. I remember feeling very angry around 3 weeks of taking quetiapine and was quite aggressive.  

[I believe my withdrawal from mirtazapine is still happening as I jumped off at 6.5 accidentally, (read signature). I had a few sleepless nights, and it went downhill from there. I did not anticipate coming off at 6.5 but it happened as I was experiencing stress from work and life.]

I have no motivation to find employment, Im lethargic, and trying to stay on track. Feeling like I'm hanging on by a thread. Im a nicotine user and am trying to taper from that as well. I just know my eating habits will get out of control. My apologies for the rambling. 

Ive been on this medication for about 5/6 months now and wondering if it is still recommended to do a 5-10% taper. My mind feels locked up and Im having issue with anxiety because I need to find employment. 

Current symptoms: Sadness (on and off), anxiety (on and off), cravings, lack of energy. 

Before this medication I could think fully even though I experienced a bit of psychosis. I was witty, quick, and recognized a few hidden talents. My current "Dr. (Nurse practitioner who specializes in mental health)" is not supportive of the 10% taper and would rather treat me like a test subject. I told him about this site and the research I've done and he laughed in my face. He is not supportive at all and wanted to take me from 400mg to 300mg when I complained about the side affects. Currently trying to find a supportive Dr.; Because Im at such a high dose, Im not sure how to taper this medication. Ive read something like getting your dosage in increments of 50mg. Not sure I will find a Dr. to prescribe 400mg using 50mg tablets. Luckily I am not taking an XR form of the drug so liquid titration is possible. 

Im scared and feel alone in this process and many things feel like a herculean task. Trying to take it one day at a time. 

I guess my question is: should I still taper at 10% considering how long I've been on this medication and my history of psychosis? Would 400-300mg be too big of a drop? 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging with intro topic

Hi @nayeli and welcome.

I can relate to these major tranquilisers making work and other such demands very difficult and sludgy.  Best to steer clear of unsupportive doctors, as you say.

While your body may still be catching up from previous drugs you were prescribed, it sounds like you may do better to taper down to a less immobilising dose to start with.  You could start planning therapy with regard to what you perceive as psychotic issues and self care to complete your taper from a more tolerable dosage.

There should be no harm in trying a 5-10% drop and seeing how you feel.  If you're happy with that you can repeat and consider adjusting your rate.  Going from 400 to 300 in one go is 25% which is likely to give you unnecessary problems.  I will post some links for you to read in a moment.

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

I have moved your thread to the Intros section.

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

Thanks for the quick response @hayduke; Ive read the threads posted above and nervous about how this medication is affecting my brain now and longterm. 

If I taper to 360mgs (10% drop): I will start this process by converting 400mg tablet to liquid for a few weeks to adjust and then taper to 360mgs. Will I need to add 400ml of water to the 400mg tablet to dissolve and draw up/take 400mg and repeat until Im ready to drop to 360ml/mg? Once at 360, I'll only need to draw up 360mgs correct?

Im also in my early 20s and wonder if that makes a difference anywhere. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, nayeli said:

I will start this process by converting 400mg tablet to liquid for a few weeks

When changing form of the drug it suggested to do a cross over.  Please see:

cross-over-changing-form-eg-tablet-to-liquid-of-drug-or-changing-brand-of-same-drug

And you are correct.  You only make one change at a time, so as you have said, stay on the same dose whilst changing to liquid.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, hayduke said:

I have moved your thread to the Intros section.

@nayeli

I have merged the topic that hayduke moved with your original Introduction topic.

SA works differently to many other forums.  Each member has their own Introduction topic.  This is the best place to ask questions about your own situation and where you can journal your progress.  It keeps your history in one place and means that you do not need to repeat your story.  Staff regularly check the Introduction forum for new posts made by members.  Posts made elsewhere on the site may not be seen by staff and therefore might not be responded to in a timely manner.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

6 hours ago, nayeli said:

Thanks for the quick response @hayduke; Ive read the threads posted above and nervous about how this medication is affecting my brain now and longterm. 

If I taper to 360mgs (10% drop): I will start this process by converting 400mg tablet to liquid for a few weeks to adjust and then taper to 360mgs. Will I need to add 400ml of water to the 400mg tablet to dissolve and draw up/take 400mg and repeat until Im ready to drop to 360ml/mg? Once at 360, I'll only need to draw up 360mgs correct?

Im also in my early 20s and wonder if that makes a difference anywhere. 

Your maths looks pretty right.  If it were me though, I'd use 40 ml as the base volume and shift the decimal point.

Your age is typical for trauma to start emerging under increased strains of early adulthood.  You have more neuroplasticity than older people so it's a great time to use therapy to heal and get your brain clear of these drugs before you get too set in.  Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @hayduke. So 10% drops would look something like this (assuming that 10% isn't too large of a drop for me) -

starting dosage: 400mg > 40.0mg,

360mg >36.0mg,

324mg> 33.0mg (rounding up here)

291mg> 30mg (rounding up here and holding) 

I will add that I am probably going through withdrawals from jumping off at 6 of mirtazpaine/remeron. I wonder if the anxiety I feel on a day to day basis is amplified by this withdrawal or is a side effect of taking Quetiapine. 

Looks like you've got the maths under control.  If a 10% cut feels too harsh, have a look at the Brass Monkey Slide Taper.

If you're feeling unsettled, best to hold until you feel better before making any more cuts.

• 7 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Nayeli, 

How are you doing with your tapering? What percentage did you end up tapering by?

Sending hugs🤗

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg✔️ 2020➡️From 5.60 to 4.80✔️ 2021➡️From 4.60 to 4.0✔️ 2022➡️From 3.95 to 3.55✔️2023➡️ Jan 26=3.50✔️March 17=3.45✔️ June12=3.40✔️ July30=3.35✔️ Sep14=3.30✔️ Oct31=3.25✔️
2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.