Marib: need help for Zoloft withdrawal

Marib

3 minutes ago, Chels said:

Have you had any windows?

Some small ones usually in the evening. I think I am struggling equally with physical and mental symptoms but I have akathisia pretty bad so that is the worst part right now. 

2005 to app. mid 2020 Zoloft different doses over the years 100mg was highest but 50 mg was last dose with taper over the last year down to zero.

Tapered and reinstated Zoloft a couple of times throughout the duration of taking.

July 27, 2020 to September 22, 2020 Reinstated low dose Zoloft and increased to 75mg then dropped in stages back to zero due to adverse reaction.

September 17-18, 2020 Topamax 25mg for 2 days

September 24-25, 2020 In-patient 1 dose 10mg Lexapro, 3 doses Risperidone 2x .5mg 1x 1mg

October 1-12, 2020 propranolol and benadryl 

October 15-18 benztropine for 3 days

October 23, 2020 Klonopin .5mg

As of October 24, 2020 drug-free

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2020 at 6:24 PM, Gridley said:

Your system gets sensitized the more times you stop and start a drug.

We all get better, cold turkey or not.  Shep, one of our administrators, cold-turkeyed or fast tapered (which amounts to about the same thing) off many classes of drugs (antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzos, more) and is now doing very well.  Here's her success story with a link to her withdrawal story.

Shep's Success: "Leaving Plato's Cave"

I wouldn't.  Your body is telling you it doesn't want this (or probably any) drug.  

Be very careful with the Klonopin.  You can become physiologically dependent within 10 days of regular use and also from intermittent use.

Don't forget the magnesium and omegas I suggested in my first post.

Hi Gridley,

I need your advice again. Unfortunately my withdrawal/adverse reaction symptoms were so bad that I ended up trying a couple different medications to calm me down. The electric shocks, parathesia, akathisia, itching etc. was so bad. Of course I had a bad reaction to everything again. I was on Gabapentin 300 mg 3x times a day from 11/8 to 11/19 and ended getting even worse so started the Klonopin from .5 mg up to 2.25 mg from 11/10 to 12/7. The psychiatrist put me on Pristiq and I took that from 11/26 to 12/2. I was still having a horrible reaction to everything of course. Then finally they prescribed me Diazepam 10 mg 2xs a day starting 12/8 it did help to a certain extent but I was completely out of it so I only took the 10 mg for a couple days and I have finally weened myself down to a very tiny piece of the Diazepam. I haven’t weighed it but it’s probably about 1 mg. So I know this is all making my CNS even crazier but I can at least sit down for an extended period of time where I couldn’t at all before. I am actually sleeping although when I do wake up and try to fall back asleep I jerk awake. I am still having muscle burning and the eye twitching. The Diazepam helped that but as I have been weening down those symptoms have started to come back as well as the electric shocks but not as bad as before. Also, the horrible neck tension is coming back since Diazepam is a muscle relaxant as well. I don’t want to be stuck on the Diazepam because it doesn’t make me feel great either so I want to stop taking it. Can I stop at 1 mg? Also I heard that magnesium isn’t good to take if you are withdrawing from benzodiazepines because it works in the same way and doesn’t allow your GABA to naturally reestablish itself. When I have taken the magnesium glycinate it did help for a couple hours. Do you recommend taking the magnesium in lieu of the Diazepam? Oh I am also experimenting with B6, B12, fish oil, turmeric, vitamin C, and they also gave me vitamin D. 

2005 to app. mid 2020 Zoloft different doses over the years 100mg was highest but 50 mg was last dose with taper over the last year down to zero.

Tapered and reinstated Zoloft a couple of times throughout the duration of taking.

July 27, 2020 to September 22, 2020 Reinstated low dose Zoloft and increased to 75mg then dropped in stages back to zero due to adverse reaction.

September 24-25, 2020 In-patient 1 dose 10mg Lexapro, 3 doses Risperidone 2x .5mg 1x 1mg

• Moderator Emeritus
9 minutes ago, Marib said:

The Diazepam helped that but as I have been weening down those symptoms have started to come back as well as the electric shocks but not as bad as before. Also, the horrible neck tension is coming back since Diazepam is a muscle relaxant as well. I don’t want to be stuck on the Diazepam because it doesn’t make me feel great either so I want to stop taking it. Can I stop at 1 mg? Also I heard that magnesium isn’t good to take if you are withdrawing from benzodiazepines because it works in the same way and doesn’t allow your GABA to naturally reestablish itself. When I have taken the magnesium glycinate it did help for a couple hours. Do you recommend taking the magnesium in lieu of the Diazepam?

I would go lower on the Diazepam than 1mg before stopping.  You are likely physiologically dependent on it (which can occur after only one month on the drug).  You could go down to 0.5mg for four weeks, then to 0.25mg for 4 weeks then quit.

I see nothing wrong with taking magnesium while on benzos.  I do it.  Your GABA levels will correct themselves in time.  The magnesium won't stop that process. But I would definitely not take the magnesium in lieu of the Diazepam.  You need to taper the diazepam and the magnesium can help.  Start with a low dose of magnesium and work up.  If it helps you could then add omegas, which are also recommended.  Don't start both at the same time.  Let the magnesium settle in, then add in the omegas.  Some people take magnesium dissolved in water throughout the day, or you can take separate doses.  I gave you links to magnesium and omegas a couple of posts back.

I would stay away from psychiatric drugs.  You don't do well with them.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

13 minutes ago, Gridley said:

I would go lower on the Diazepam than 1mg before stopping.  You are likely physiologically dependent on it (which can occur after only one month on the drug).  You could go down to 0.5mg for four weeks, then to 0.25mg for 4 weeks then quit.

I see nothing wrong with taking magnesium while on benzos.  I do it.  Your GABA levels will correct themselves in time.  The magnesium won't stop that process. But I would definitely not take the magnesium in lieu of the Diazepam.  You need to taper the diazepam and the magnesium can help.  Start with a low dose of magnesium and work up.  If it helps you could then add omegas, which are also recommended.  Don't start both at the same time.  Let the magnesium settle in, then add in the omegas.  Some people take magnesium dissolved in water throughout the day, or you can take separate doses.  I gave you links to magnesium and omegas a couple of posts back.

I would stay away from psychiatric drugs.  You don't do well with them.

Thanks Gridley,

Yes, I plan on staying away from psychiatric medications. I obviously cannot tolerate them! Is there an upper limit to how much magnesium you can take in a day? Ok so I have been taking fish oil should I stop and start the magnesium instead? I took the magnesium a few times and it seemed to help but only for a couple hours that’s why I was asking how much is too much magnesium to take in a day. Should I not be trying the B12, turmeric, vitamin C? Do you recommend just to stick with the magnesium for now? Do you think I have caused permanent neurological damage from all these meds? I went from only ever taking Zoloft my whole life to now having taken all these psych meds in the course of 6 months. My body feels like I have done irrevocable damage physically and mentally. I know you can’t say for sure but I just feel like I did permanent damage. Sorry for all the questions but I’m just nervous about all of this, it has really done a number on me. I have never experienced anything like this before. 

I don't think we have permanent neurological damage. I mean yeah, maybe physically some things are now different in our brains, who knows? But everybody's brain is always physically changing anyway, being adjusted by the lifestyle choices, thought patterns, experiences etc. I believe we took a hit from the drugs and the withdrawal, yes. But that's only one part of it. Our response to this traumatic experience and the symptoms, has a major effect on our healing. Rehabilitation is possible. Or, in the words of Aragorn from Lord of the Rings: "There is always hope". Luckily for us, the brain has the capacity to heal itself. If an area is damaged, another area can adapt and compensate. It's just a lot of work and takes time. 

2005-2018: Sertraline 50mg

Jan 2018: Started taper from 50mg

Jun 2018: 25 mg

July 2019: 20 mg. Switched to Microtapering

Spring 2020: Tetanus vaccine and a course of rabies vaccinations. 

July 2020: 16 mg. Hold.

During 2020, I was forced to change manufacturers(of generic Sertraline) 4 times due to supplier issues. I didn't write the dates down. 

1st Oct&4th Oct 2020: IV drip with Metoclopramide, ranitidine, hyoscine butylbromide in hospital

26 October 2020: 17 mg

1Nov: 16mg

4 hours ago, SertralineAnxiety said:

I don't think we have permanent neurological damage. I mean yeah, maybe physically some things are now different in our brains, who knows? But everybody's brain is always physically changing anyway, being adjusted by the lifestyle choices, thought patterns, experiences etc. I believe we took a hit from the drugs and the withdrawal, yes. But that's only one part of it. Our response to this traumatic experience and the symptoms, has a major effect on our healing. Rehabilitation is possible. Or, in the words of Aragorn from Lord of the Rings: "There is always hope". Luckily for us, the brain has the capacity to heal itself. If an area is damaged, another area can adapt and compensate. It's just a lot of work and takes time. 

Yeah I think you are right. I think you probably hit the nail on the head. I guess when you are going through the tough part it’s hard to see things that way but I am trying. Thanks for the response 😁 Time is a healer. 

• Moderator Emeritus
16 hours ago, Marib said:

Is there an upper limit to how much magnesium you can take in a day?

The upper limit varies rom person to person.  The main problem with too much magnesium is that it can have a laxative effect.  If you aren't having a problem with that, you can increase little by little.  If it has a laxative effect, cut back.

Ok so I have been taking fish oil should I stop and start the magnesium instead?

If the fish oil is helping and you've been on it a while, you can take both.  It's not an either/or.

it seemed to help but only for a couple hours that’s why I was asking how much is too much magnesium to take in a day

You could try sipping it dissolved in water throughout the day.  Or take doses throughout the day.  See how your body reacts to it.

e B12, turmeric, vitamin C?

If you do, introduce them one at a time and at a low dose.

17 hours ago, Marib said:

I know you can’t say for sure but I just feel like I did permanent damage.

Very likely the damage is not permanent.

17 hours ago, Marib said:

I have never experienced anything like this before. 

None of us have.  Time is the great healer and you will heal.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

16 minutes ago, Gridley said:

The upper limit varies rom person to person.  The main problem with too much magnesium is that it can have a laxative effect.  If you aren't having a problem with that, you can increase little by little.  If it has a laxative effect, cut back.

If the fish oil is helping and you've been on it a while, you can take both.  It's not an either/or.

You could try sipping it dissolved in water throughout the day.  Or take doses throughout the day.  See how your body reacts to it.

If you do, introduce them one at a time and at a low dose.

Very likely the damage is not permanent.

None of us have.  Time is the great healer and you will heal.

Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it! 😁