Jennyfinland Help with escitalopram withdrawl

Jennyfinland

I have been on escitalopram for eight years and started to taper in february 2020. I started 1 mg per month and when six months had passed I was at 1 mg but I decided to raise it to 2.5 mg because I thought I was going to die. Now I have been on this same dose for 6 months. I had almost 1,5 months good feeling but now I am feeling horrible. I get panic attacs during The night and day. My mood seems to change from quite good to absolutely horrible. I just do not know what's going on with me. I have been on The same dose so long and still I get these feelings? Can anyone tell me what this is ? Does this mean that I should go Back to 5 mg or just try to go through this. Sometimes I just loose my faith because this just does not seen to stop. Can I still believe this Will pass ? I feel I am going crazy and am not able to work because I am so tired and depressed. 

Please someone tell me something positive ...

February 2020 started tapering escitalopram.

February 5 mg March mg April 3 mg May 2mg june 1 mg july 1 mg August 1 mg 

September reinstating to 2.5 mg and mirtazapine for sleep occasionally 7.5 mg.

Started to take fish oil , d vitamin , ashwagandha

February 2021 try to reinstate to 3.5 mg still using mirtazapine occasionally for sleep

• Administrator

Welcome, @Jennyfinland

How are you taking 2.5mg escitalopram, in a liquid form? If so, how old is your liquid? Have you accidentally forgotten any doses?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Altostrata changed the title to Jennyfinland Help with escitalopram withdrawl
22 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

Welcome, @Jennyfinland

How are you taking 2.5mg escitalopram, in a liquid form? If so, how old is your liquid? Have you accidentally forgotten any doses?

Thank you ! I was so glad to find this site !! I have been taking 5 mg pills wich I split in half. To be honest I cannot get the pills evenly split so everyday the amount of the medicine is a bit different so I do not know If that is the problem ? Sometimes I use mirtazapine 3.5 or 7.5 mg to help me sleep but I do not know If it is Bad ? Eight now I am feeling all the time panic and I wake up during The night in sweat and my heart is beating fast and after that can't get sleep. All this started after there came somekind of a trigger of a really old OCD symptoms that have been away for 7 years. And now I feel I am going crazy. 

I met psychiatrist yeasterday and he told me that I should raise the dose from 2.5 to 3.5 mg. I really do not know what is  going on 😳

February 2021 try to reinstate to 3.5 mg still using mirtazapine occasionally for sleep

• Administrator

What time of day do you take escitalopram?

What were the symptoms you had when you went from 1mg to 2.5mg escitalopram? Did you feel better after increasing the dosage?

On 2/12/2021 at 10:45 AM, Jennyfinland said:

I was at 1 mg but I decided to raise it to 2.5 mg because I thought I was going to die.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

It is really hard to say but maybe I was not feeling alot better after the first dosage increase. Could some other madecine help me with this or what do you think ? I take escitalopram on the morning. 

• Administrator
On 2/12/2021 at 10:45 AM, Jennyfinland said:

I was at 1 mg but I decided to raise it to 2.5 mg because I thought I was going to die.

What were your symptoms at 1mg, when you thought you were going to die?

28 minutes ago, Altostrata said:

What were your symptoms at 1mg, when you thought you were going to die?

Back then I had problems at home and got really upset about it and started to have horrible panic attacs and alot of crying and severe anxiety. About The same than now. Then I had to take a break from work because I was not able to do anything. And when I started The tapering february 2020 I had Been all spring really anxious and crying a lot. When autumn came I realized that those were symptoms of too fast tapering. 

• Administrator

Can you remember when the "horrible panic attacs and alot of crying and severe anxiety" started during your taper?

It may well be you could do with a bit more escitalopram. Also, you might get the liquid form for more accurate dosing.

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

Well it's been about 6 months since I changed the dose from 1 mg to 2.5 mg. And now these severe panics started. The panic creates more panic because I start to Be afraid of the really bad and anxious feeling. I am in therapy and we were discussing subjects that are close to my old fear of disease. So I do not seem to be able to handle this fear now that it found me again.. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have been taking escitalopram 2.5 mg for 6 months and started to have horrible symptoms. I decided to try to reinstate to 3.5 mg and have been taking it for five days now. IT has helped with sleeping and  and anxiety and mood but my panics are a bit worse. I can get a very Bad feeling from nowhere and then feel like I am going to puke. Should I stop taking this 3.5 mg or see few days to come ? 

Please I need help. I tried to reinstate with 1 mg of escitalopram after 6 months of taking 2.5 mg but almost the next day I started to have panic kind of feelings that I Will throw up. That feeling comes and goes in a very unexpected way. Otherwise My feeling IS a bit better  and sleep IS better . What could this mean ? 

• getofflex changed the title to Jennyfinland: Help with escitalopram reinstating
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello.  I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.  Escitalopram (Lexapro) is an especially powerful drug compared to other antidepressant medications.  These drugs make changes to our brains, and it takes time for the brain to adjust once we stop taking them.  It can cause many uncomfortable symptoms, one of which is anxiety and panic, which you are experiencing. However, our brains have great healing capabilities, and you can and will heal from this given time and proper self care. 

So we can better help you, please tell us more.  Did you stop taking the drug altogether, and then go back to 1 mg?  Or did you drop from 2.5 mg to 1 mg?  

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here is some information about withdrawal and what these drugs do to our nervous systems.  

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I'm glad to hear that your feeling and sleeping is better.  We are here to help.  Feel free to ask questions, and look around the site for more information.  Take care. 

Edited by getofflex
links not working properly

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

41 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Hello.  I'm sorry that you are feeling this way.  Escitalopram (Lexapro) is an especially powerful drug compared to other antidepressant medications.  These drugs make changes to our brains, and it takes time for the brain to adjust once we stop taking them.  It can cause many uncomfortable symptoms, one of which is anxiety and panic, which you are experiencing. However, our brains have great healing capabilities, and you can and will heal from this given time and proper self care. 

So we can better help you, please tell us more.  Did you stop taking the drug altogether, and then go back to 1 mg?  Or did you drop from 2.5 mg to 1 mg?  

Please add a signature.  Include drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements in the last 12-24 months. Also include supplements. This will help us give you the most accurate advice we can. 

• Any drugs and supplements prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years. 
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (mid-June, Late October) rather than relative time frames (last week, 3 months ago) 
  • Spell out months, e.g. "October" or "Oct."; 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as Jan. 9, 2016 or Sept. 1, 2016. 
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses. 
  • A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs. 
  • This is a direct link to your signature:  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

Here is some information about withdrawal and what these drugs do to our nervous systems.  

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

I'm glad to hear that your feeling and sleeping is better.  We are here to help.  Feel free to ask questions, and look around the site for more information.  Take care. 

I went Back up from 2.5 to 3.5 mg. And IT seems to help with some symptoms sleep, and mood IS a bit better but I started to get these strange panic feeling that I Will throw up. These symptoms have been here for 5 days that I have taken the bigger dose. Should I go Back to 2.5 right now ? 

I have been eating 2.5 mg for 6 months ... And I cannot undersrand why My symptoms have not gotten better. Or they were better for a 1.5 months but went Back to worse after that and then I decided to try to reinstate... 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello.  Can you please add your drug history to your signature as requested and described in my previous post?  It will be much easier for me to understand and help you.  Dates of changes in the drug are important.  Thank you. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

12 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Hello.  Can you please add your drug history to your signature as requested and described in my previous post?  It will be much easier for me to understand and help you.  Dates of changes in the drug are important.  Thank you. 

Oh yes ofcourse ! 

February 2020 I started to taper from 5 mg.

February   5 mg

March 4 mg

April  3 mg

May 2 mg

June 1 mg

July 1 mg

August 1 mg / by this Time I started to have horrible symptoms. Panic , sweating , anxiety , heartbeating. 

September 2.5 mg and mirtazapine for sleep 7.5 mg. I took it one week at a Time. And kept break. And took If I felt need. 

By The beginning of december I started to feel better suddenly. It lasted for about 1.5 months and then I went even More Bad condition. Cannot eat , panic at night and sweating, big moodswings from really good to really Bad. 

23.2.2021 went Back to 3.5 mg 

39 minutes ago, Jennyfinland said:

Oh yes ofcourse ! 

February 2020 I started to taper from 5 mg.

February   5 mg

March 4 mg

April  3 mg

May 2 mg

June 1 mg

July 1 mg

August 1 mg / by this Time I started to have horrible symptoms. Panic , sweating , anxiety , heartbeating. 

September 2.5 mg and mirtazapine for sleep 7.5 mg. I took it one week at a Time. And kept break. And took If I felt need. 

By The beginning of december I started to feel better suddenly. It lasted for about 1.5 months and then I went even More Bad condition. Cannot eat , panic at night and sweating, big moodswings from really good to really Bad. 

23.2.2021 went Back to 3.5 mg 

Sorry it took a lot from me to understand where I should put my information ! But now IT should be in The right place ☺️

• Moderator Emeritus

Perfect, thanks so much for taking the time to put it in your signature.  That way, each time you post, it will appear automatically, and people can help you better.  

The basic problem here, which most of us have, is tapering too fast.  The drugs remodel and make changes to our brains and nervous systems.  This link explains it best: How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

What few people know, until they come here, is that the ideal taper is extremely gradual and slow. These drugs are best tapered at 10% of the previous dose, and the dose reduced no more often than once a month.  For example if you are on 10 mg, you go down to 9mg.  If you are on 5 mg, you only go down to 4.5 mg.  If you are on 1 mg, you go down to 0.9 mg.  Some people need to go even slower.  Most doctors recommend tapers that are way too fast.  This link explains this concept further: 

Why Taper by !0% of my dosage

Here is some information about escitalopram.

Tapering Off Escitalopram

Probably what is happening for you is that your nervous system is in disarray because of a too fast taper.  I did the very same thing, so don't feel guilty.  You did the best you could at the time, with what knowledge you had.  

If it were me, I would just stay at my current dose for a while, and learn how to do some healthy non drug things for self care.  These drugs are what got us in this mess in the first place, and throwing more drugs at it could very well cause our nervous systems to become even more imbalanced and make you feel even worse.  This will take a lot of patience, but it is well worth it.  I'm glad to hear that your feeling better, and your sleep is better!  This means your brain is healing.  When you feel reasonably stable, then we can talk about doing a taper.  

The fact that you had a time when you felt good is a very good sign!  It means that your nervous system is working on healing.  It sounds like you are having windows and waves.  I posted a link about that in a previous post - check it out.  

The number one thing our nervous systems need at times like these is stability.  That means staying on precisely the same dose, taking the drug at the same time each day.  One of the principles of healing is the 3 S's.  Keep it stable, keep it slow, keep it simple.  

You mentioned the feeling of panic.  This is a classic withdrawal symptom.  Here is a thread about that:

Sudden Fear, Terror, Panic, Anxiety

We don't suggest much in the way of supplements, but we do find helpful omega 3 fish oil, magnesium, and melatonin.  See these links. 

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Magnesium

Melatonin

Here is what I do to take care of myself: avoid negative people, get lots of rest day and night, take a walk outside each day if possible, eat healthy Whole Foods 3 times a day plus snacks if needed, talk to a good friend when needed, do fun activities I enjoy, do spiritual activities (prayer, read spiritual literature, listen to relaxing or spiritual music, meditate) and don't do too many activities each day, because this overstimulates an already stressed nervous system and makes it worse.  Avoid stress if you can.  Be gentle and easy on yourself.  Take lots of breaks.  

Here is the list of topics all about symptoms and self care.  There is huge amount of information in this link.

Symptoms and Self Care

I've given you a lot of information here.  Feel free to look around the site.  There is so much information on here.  

Edited by getofflex
soften wording and take out work "recommend"

• Moderator Emeritus

9 hours ago, Jennyfinland said:

Sorry it took a lot from me to understand where I should put my information ! But now IT should be in The right place ☺️

Hi Jennyfinland, @Jennyfinland

You had another whole Introduction going.  All your posts are now merged up here.  And please post right here, with questions around your case.

It can get very confusing for the moderators or members who are trying to help, if your posts are all over the place.

Now getofflex, and Altostrata, can see what has been offered to you, and what questions have been asked and answered.  This way, you don't have to repeat yourself over and over, and we can see what another moderator has offered already.

I've moved this post here too. 

On 2/26/2021 at 7:19 AM, Jennyfinland said:

I have been taking escitalopram 2.5 mg for 6 months and started to have horrible symptoms. I decided to try to reinstate to 3.5 mg and have been taking it for five days now. IT has helped with sleeping and  and anxiety and mood but my panics are a bit worse. I can get a very Bad feeling from nowhere and then feel like I am going to puke. Should I stop taking this 3.5 mg or see few days to come ? 

Can you add a day of the month to your signature, as to when you did the last updose of Lexapro?

I suspect it has been a few days, and wonder how you are doing today?

When do you take the mirtazapine and at what dose?

Go to AccountsSettings/signature to update/edit your signature

Thankyou

On 2/16/2021 at 1:08 AM, Jennyfinland said:

I met psychiatrist yeasterday and he told me that I should raise the dose from 2.5 to 3.5 mg. I really do not know what is  going on 😳

Do you mean you are feeling really off right now?  If so, yes, quite likely it is WD(withdrawal).  Unfortunately, your doctor may not recognize that.  Good that you have.

And best, L, P, H, and G,

manymoretodays

post again right here please, that will be great!

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

5 hours ago, getofflex said:

Perfect, thanks so much for taking the time to put it in your signature.  That way, each time you post, it will appear automatically, and people can help you better.  

The basic problem here, which most of us have, is tapering too fast.  The drugs remodel and make changes to our brains and nervous systems.  This link explains it best: How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

What few people know, until they come here, is that the ideal taper is extremely gradual and slow. These drugs should be tapered at 10% of the previous dose, and the dose reduced no more often than once a month.  For example if you are on 10 mg, you go down to 9mg.  If you are on 5 mg, you only go down to 4.5 mg.  If you are on 1 mg, you go down to 0.9 mg.  Some people need to go even slower.  Most doctors recommend tapers that are way too fast.  This link explains this concept further: 

Why Taper by !0% of my dosage

Here is some information about escitalopram.

Tapering Off Escitalopram

Probably what is happening for you is that your nervous system is in disarray because of a too fast taper.  I did the very same thing, so don't feel guilty.  You did the best you could at the time, with what knowledge you had.  

If it were me, I would just stay at my current dose for a while, and learn how to do some healthy non drug things for self care.  These drugs are what got us in this mess in the first place, and throwing more drugs at it could very well cause our nervous systems to become even more imbalanced and make you feel even worse.  This will take a lot of patience, but it is well worth it.  I'm glad to hear that your feeling better, and your sleep is better!  This means your brain is healing.  When you feel reasonably stable, then we can talk about doing a taper.  

The fact that you had a time when you felt good is a very good sign!  It means that your nervous system is working on healing.  It sounds like you are having windows and waves.  I posted a link about that in a previous post - check it out.  

The number one thing our nervous systems need at times like these is stability.  That means staying on precisely the same dose, taking the drug at the same time each day.  One of the principles of healing is the 3 S's.  Keep it stable, keep it slow, keep it simple.  

You mentioned the feeling of panic.  This is a classic withdrawal symptom.  Here is a thread about that:

Sudden Fear, Terror, Panic, Anxiety

We don't recommend much in the way of supplements, but we do recommend omega 3 fish oil, magnesium, and melatonin.  See these links. 

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Magnesium

Melatonin

Here is what I do to take care of myself: avoid negative people, get lots of rest day and night, take a walk outside each day if possible, eat healthy Whole Foods 3 times a day plus snacks if needed, talk to a good friend when needed, do fun activities I enjoy, do spiritual activities (prayer, read spiritual literature, listen to relaxing or spiritual music, meditate) and don't do too many activities each day, because this overstimulates an already stressed nervous system and makes it worse.  Avoid stress if you can.  Be gentle and easy on yourself.  Take lots of breaks.  

Here is the list of topics all about symptoms and self care.  There is huge amount of information in this link.

Symptoms and Self Care

I've given you a lot of information here.  Feel free to look around the site.  There is so much information on here.  

I still would like to know what you think of this that I was having these better days and Times with The 2.5 mg but suddenly could not eat anymore so I tried this reinstating to 3.5. IT has helped a bit with My moodswings but it when I started to take it I started toi have these moments that I feel I should throw up. In The morning and yesterday I almost could not walk because of The feeling that I am going to throw up. This started The next day of The bigger dose. I have been like this for the 6 days I have taken the bigger dose.  Should I riight now go Back to The 2.5 ? This is My concern ... 

2 hours ago, Jennyfinland said:

I still would like to know what you think of this that I was having these better days and Times with The 2.5 mg but suddenly could not eat anymore so I tried this reinstating to 3.5. IT has helped a bit with My moodswings but it when I started to take it I started toi have these moments that I feel I should throw up. In The morning and yesterday I almost could not walk because of The feeling that I am going to throw up. This started The next day of The bigger dose. I have been like this for the 6 days I have taken the bigger dose.  Should I riight now go Back to The 2.5 ? This is My concern ... 

Also though my mood swings are not so Bad My thoughts are darker now... With The 3.5 mg I felt My feelings were somewhat controllable with 2.5 mg 

Hi Jenny,

I worry that "mirtazapine occasionally for sleep" may cause problems too.

What does "occasionally" mean? Once per week? Every other day? For how long?

I am in the endgame taper of both citalopram and mirtazapine and in my case (!) the mirtazapine part was the really tough one.

And I think some symptoms you mention (the feeling that you have to throw up e.g.) may be related to the mirtazapine.

So depending on how much you took over which period of time I'd consider taking a small regular dose of mirt every evening. Maybe the average of what you took over the last couple of weeks. If mirtazapine is part of your issue your should feel some more stability within one or two weeks.

Regards,

Hamster

Nov 2018: St. John's Wort 900 mg Extract / day Dec 2018: fast taper of St. John's Wort  (900 mg -> 0 in about 2 weeks)
Jan 2019: start of  citalopram (10 mg/d) and mirtazapine (30 mg/d) Feb 2019: citalopram increased to 20 mg/d, start of talk therapy
March 2019: 10 mg/d citalopram & 15 mg/d mirtazapine April 2019: 7 mg/d citalopram & 7.5 mg/d mirtazapine
May 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 5 mg/d mirtazapine June 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 3.75 mg/d mirtazapine

July 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 3.12 mg/d mirtazapine July 16th 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.5 mg/d mirtazapine

August 22nd 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.2 mg/d mirtazapine September 20th 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.0 mg/d mirtazapine -> BM slide (around 2%/week, some holds). Feb 2020: 3.4 mg/d citalopram & 1.5 mg/d mirtazapine, Jan 2021: 0.9 mg/d citalopram & 0.5 mg/d mirtazapine, July 2021: 0.0 mg - drug free!

Supplements: linseed oil for omega3 (can't tolerate fishoil), magnesium, B12 and folate

7 minutes ago, Hamster said:

Hi Jenny,

I worry that "mirtazapine occasionally for sleep" may cause problems too.

What does "occasionally" mean? Once per week? Every other day? For how long?

I am in the endgame taper of both citalopram and mirtazapine and in my case (!) the mirtazapine part was the really tough one.

And I think some symptoms you mention (the feeling that you have to throw up e.g.) may be related to the mirtazapine.

So depending on how much you took over which period of time I'd consider taking a small regular dose of mirt every evening. Maybe the average of what you took over the last couple of weeks. If mirtazapine is part of your issue your should feel some more stability within one or two weeks.

Regards,

Hamster

Hi ! I have been using mirtazapine like 4 days In a week and then had a break for 2 weeks or so. I am woreied because this sudden feeling of throwing up strated right after The dose was raised from 2.5 to 3.5 mg ..

So just wondering is it passing feeling or does it mean that I should stop taking The bigger dose.. ? 

Just now, Jennyfinland said:

Hi ! I have been using mirtazapine like 4 days In a week and then had a break for 2 weeks or so. I am woreied because this sudden feeling of throwing up strated right after The dose was raised from 2.5 to 3.5 mg ..

So just wondering is it passing feeling or does it mean that I should stop taking The bigger dose.. ? 

I have used mirtazapine on and off for 6 months 

Hi Jenny,

when did you take the last mirt dose (prior to raising escitalopram from 2.5 to 3.5)?
For me nausea typically kicked in 3-4 days after a reduction step of mirt. I'd check your symptoms against your mirtazapine use as well to find out whether there is a link or not.

Hamster

Nov 2018: St. John's Wort 900 mg Extract / day Dec 2018: fast taper of St. John's Wort  (900 mg -> 0 in about 2 weeks)
Jan 2019: start of  citalopram (10 mg/d) and mirtazapine (30 mg/d) Feb 2019: citalopram increased to 20 mg/d, start of talk therapy
March 2019: 10 mg/d citalopram & 15 mg/d mirtazapine April 2019: 7 mg/d citalopram & 7.5 mg/d mirtazapine
May 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 5 mg/d mirtazapine June 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 3.75 mg/d mirtazapine

July 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 3.12 mg/d mirtazapine July 16th 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.5 mg/d mirtazapine

August 22nd 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.2 mg/d mirtazapine September 20th 2019: 5 mg/d citalopram & 2.0 mg/d mirtazapine -> BM slide (around 2%/week, some holds). Feb 2020: 3.4 mg/d citalopram & 1.5 mg/d mirtazapine, Jan 2021: 0.9 mg/d citalopram & 0.5 mg/d mirtazapine, July 2021: 0.0 mg - drug free!

Supplements: linseed oil for omega3 (can't tolerate fishoil), magnesium, B12 and folate

Just now, Hamster said:

Hi Jenny,

when did you take the last mirt dose (prior to raising escitalopram from 2.5 to 3.5)?
For me nausea typically kicked in 3-4 days after a reduction step of mirt. I'd check your symptoms against your mirtazapine use as well to find out whether there is a link or not.

Hamster

Actually I took last mirtazapine on tuesday this week. The same Day I started to take the higher dose of escitalopram .. 

• Mentor

Hello @Jennyfinland and welcome. Sorry you are struggling right now. Once moderators get you advice on drug dosages then hold steady on dosages and meds. Then learn all self help strategies and support you can and choose the ones that help you. And then time and patience will stabilize your nervous system ! Reading Dr Claire Weeks is good stuff! What helps me is to tell myself - acknowledge this is withdrawals And ask if I can do anything about it if so do it if not acknowledge there is nothing I can do and then accept that it is withdrawals and it will take time , and then try and let bad feelings and thoughts float on by don’t attach to them. Floating is kinda like when you are doing something and radio is playing in background you hear it but you are really not listening.   I struggle with floating it’s tough but I only time I can practice is when I’m in unstable dark hole! 
acknowledge- accept - float

you are in the right place at SA ! Hang in there !

2000-2013 Paxil - 1 year fast taper

2013-2018 merry go round
zoloft, cymbalta, lamictal, Prozac.

Nov. 2018 lexapro 15 mgs, Dec. 2019 to Mar. 2020 taper to 10mg. Jul 2020 to October 2020 taper to 8.5 ml.
Oct 2020 reinstated to 9 ml.
Apr 2021 to Jul  taper to 7ml. Oct 2021 to Jan 2022 taper to 5.9ml, Mar 5 2022 5.8 ml, Mar 12 5.7ml, Mar 20 5.6ml, Mar 27 5.5ml, April 23 5.4ml, April 30 5.3ml, May 7 5.2ml,  Jul 9 2022 5.4ml, 

Klonopin prn, Allegra 180 for 3 seasons, aspirin 81 mg, plavix , nitroglycerin 0.4 mg prn, 2k mg  turmeric Qunol, 4- Trader Joe’s omega 3 -2400 mg, Pepcid 20mg,  Prilosec 40 mg, Tylenol arthritis 4 tablets daily, 350mg calm magnesium citrate, melatonin 2.5- 5mg as needed to sleep. Saline spray as needed. 

1 minute ago, Heath said:

Hello @Jennyfinland and welcome. Sorry you are struggling right now. Once moderators get you advice on drug dosages then hold steady on dosages and meds. Then learn all self help strategies and support you can and choose the ones that help you. And then time and patience will stabilize your nervous system ! Reading Dr Claire Weeks is good stuff! What helps me is to tell myself - acknowledge this is withdrawals And ask if I can do anything about it if so do it if not acknowledge there is nothing I can do and then accept that it is withdrawals and it will take time , and then try and let bad feelings and thoughts float on by don’t attach to them. Floating is kinda like when you are doing something and radio is playing in background you hear it but you are really not listening.   I struggle with floating it’s tough but I only time I can practice is when I’m in unstable dark hole! 
acknowledge- accept - float

you are in the right place at SA ! Hang in there !

Thank you for these words ! I have tried to accept but yeah it is really hard and yet I have not found the key to real acceptance of the really hard feeling... I Will check this Dr. Claire weeks !  This is The first time I have ever been away from work because of mental health... It's hard when you wake up in the middle of the night and you have super panic and the next day you should be able to go to work on The morning after all the sweat and panic. Today I felt that I may not Be able to go to work ever again and I will lose my Job , boyfriend and life and will spent rest of my life alone on The floor crying . This dark feelings I have ever experienced before

I started reinstating from 2.5 mg to 3.5 mg and started to have alot of vomiting seizures. This symptom has not gone away. Though in two days my mood is better but this vomiting is unbearable... It is quite similar than when I get a panic attack and feel like I am going to vomit but that symptom I was able to control with breathing when I was taking 2.5 mg. I have been taking The bigger dose for two weeks now and no improvement with vomit reflex. It feel like I cannot control it when IT comes.. though I had six weeks hard times with 2.5 mg I was still able to affect My mood somehow and panic attacks.

Does this sound any familiar to any of you? 

Should I just go back to 2.5 mg ? 

• Moderator Emeritus

Can you please tell us on what day you switched over to 3.5 mg in your drug signature?  Thank you.  That way, each time you post the information is automatically included and we can help you better. Please don't change you dose just yet: I'll bring this to the attention of the other mods and we will get their input.  

In the meantime, here is some information about how withdrawal affects our digestive systems.  

Digestive Problems: Nausea, Diarrhea, Bloating, GERD

Dizziness, Queasiness, Nausea

Edited by getofflex
included links about GI issues

3 minutes ago, getofflex said:

Can you please tell us on what day you switched over to 3.5 mg in your drug signature?  Thank you.  That way, each time you post the information is automatically included and we can help you better. Please don't change you dose just yet: I'll bring this to the attention of the other mods and we will get their input.  

This is a crazy feeling. Sometimes I cant't walk because there comes this vomiting reflex. And I might have to stop talking. It is always when I remember it's existence IT comes. I have had something like this before but not like this. Otherwise I have started to feel better now during these two last days. But for real I can't live with this kind on reflex. I do not understand it. 

I edited The date when I started to reinstate escitalopram :)

• Moderator Emeritus

So I'm assuming you went up to the 3.5 mg dose around Feb 22, 2021?  Please update your drug signature stating this as requested in my prior post.  Specific information is important, especially when dealing with reinstating doses.  

Vomiting is a known symptom of escitalopram. By having an uncontrollable increase in the vomiting it would indicate that you are taking too much. I think a decrease would be a good idea.

How has the updose affected your other symptoms?   If not too bad, then I would try 3mg for about a week, and see how that goes. There will be a period of readjustment and symptom swings after the reduction that you will have to ride out.  

Please keep us posted.

9 hours ago, getofflex said:

So I'm assuming you went up to the 3.5 mg dose around Feb 22, 2021?  Please update your drug signature stating this as requested in my prior post.  Specific information is important, especially when dealing with reinstating doses.  

Vomiting is a known symptom of escitalopram. By having an uncontrollable increase in the vomiting it would indicate that you are taking too much. I think a decrease would be a good idea.

How has the updose affected your other symptoms?   If not too bad, then I would try 3mg for about a week, and see how that goes. There will be a period of readjustment and symptom swings after the reduction that you will have to ride out.  

Please keep us posted.

Well I have been feeling a bit better now or I mean my mood is a bit better. And sleep is a bit better. Otherwise I might feel really anxious and my chest has a big weight on. Right now I am afraid I might not be able to work ever again ..... 

Hi ! I have written here few times before. Right now I went Back to 2.5 mg escitalopram because I got severe vomit reflex from The updosing to 3.5 mg. 

I have been taking 2.5 mg now for a week but this vomiting reflex has not gone away. Do you have any idea how long it takes to get The balance after reinstating try ?

Edited by getofflex
this post has been merged with intro topic

• Moderator Emeritus

Your Introduction topic is the best place to ask questions specifically about your own situation.  That way all your history is in one place and you do not have to repeat yourself.  Moderators regularly check the Introduction Forum for new posts made by members.  Posts made in other areas of the site may not be seen by the moderators.

Here is the link to your topic.

jennyfinland-help-with-escitalopram-withdrawl

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

@jennyfinland can you please update your drug history in your signature with your recent changes in dose?  Please list drug, date (month and day) and dose for each dose change.  Thank you.  

Edited by getofflex

• 4 weeks later...

Topic title:  Help ! Severe insomnia...

I have troubles with sleeping.... I sleep about 2 hours and wake up then. After that I cannot sleep More than 30 minutes at a Time. What has helped you with insomnia ?? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title before merging into Intro topic