ScottishLass: hello and some help please

ScottishLass

Things ok ish here.  Emotionally I am much more stable. I can’t tell you that relief from the absolute terror and distress I felt. I was so frightened I’m still shocked by it all.  Still some morning anxiety but that’s short-lived. 

I am getting a bit more concerned with the physical side effects of Prozac.  My muscles are really very sore and stiff. Especially in my lower legs but also throughout.  I feel about 90 and look like it when I’m getting out of bed.  Also I have altered sensation in my feet.  Weird.   Like something is wrapped around them.  I’m actually hoping that is a side effect that goes away, when I googled it....peripheral neoropathy came up...surely I’m too young for that.  The RLS is also back and a bit excruciating at times with the inner agitation at night.  GI still ongoing but not sure if that also AB.  Insomnia worse.  I am functioning though.  I am going to attempt return to work next week after 7 months away.  A little worried about that but I have to earn money and for the first time I feel I can at least walk through the door.  Trying massively to imagine using coping skills to manage the work stress.  God. I have to compartmentalise the thought of it.  Hope I can make something work.  

I’m hoping to taper the Prozac as soon as is feasible.  I can’t go back to that place I was in though when WD from Duloxetine.  That scares me.  I’m worried about the motor things going on with the Prozac though.  Should I be....if it's short term I can handle but if not or it ramps up. I don’t know.  

******* Drugs. ******* medics. 😔

SL

Prozac  60mg ( 1998-2014).  

Also between (1998-2000) Short instances on Lithium, Risperidone, Quetiapine, Lamictal. Off all antipsychotics in (2000).  Prozac stopped and switched

Duloxetine(2014-Feb 2021) - after failed withdrawal from Prozac- misdiagnosed as 'Relap

2015 - approx 3 mths  Lamictal 

Duloxetine:(Feb 21) Tapered from 60mg of Duloxetine over approx 6wks. (8th April 2021) Reinstat Duloxetine (1mg)

16/05: Updose Duloxetine (2mg) 6mg Diazepam prn 

20/06: stopped Duloxetine.

Started On 10mg Fluoxetine12/07: Updose 20mg

6/08Switch to liquid fluox 4.5ml/18mg. 20/09: 4ml/16mg

Supplements:Omega,Vit D.

Sleep is still just escaping me and my leg muscles are so agitated. It’s like I have to flex and contract the muscles. A psychological need to do it, to move and god my muscles are sore and stiff.  Is this a known start up side effect of Prozac?  I can’t remember this so much.  Is this likely to go away? I’m 18 days in on a 20mg dose. Happens every night and starts about 11.45 ish.  Should I be concerned?  Am terrified of reducing anything at the minute given WD from Duloxetine mess.  Have to stay well to work. 

SL  

Also between (1998-2000) Short instances on Lithium, Risperidone, Quetiapine, Lamictal. Off all antipsychotics in (2000).  Prozac stopped and switched

Duloxetine(2014-Feb 2021) - after failed withdrawal from Prozac- misdiagnosed as 'Relap

Duloxetine:(Feb 21) Tapered from 60mg of Duloxetine over approx 6wks. (8th April 2021) Reinstat Duloxetine (1mg)

Sounding the alarm, here.  I hope a Mod will opine on my thoughts.  I find the stiffness and soreness you are experiencing very concerning.  I had that, and I thought it could have been because of benzo WD, but maybe not.  I will never know.  I felt that I moved as if I was 80, and my husband agreed.* You may be taking too much Prozac.  This is a gut feeling for me, but it’s very strong, and it’s based on my experience.  You may be having an adverse effect from 20 mg.  I was repeatedly injured by adverse reactions as my Zoloft dose was raised.  It was started at 10, then doubled, and doubled and doubled again all the way to 150.  

After two more weeks you could be dependent on that dose.  I think you should go back to 10 mg.  I assume you started at 10 and then were told to take 20?  As you may be aware, no one on SA would have agreed with jumping from 10 to 20.  (Starting at 10 would not have been recommended, but you managed to do it, and benefitted.) I think you are having an adverse reaction to 20.  I feel very strongly that you should go back to 10.  If you want to try raising the dose, after giving your body a rest, of course, you should do it by 1 mg increments.  Please do not risk getting dependent on a dose that is harming you.

*This happened to me on Celexa, too.  That was many years before my baby was born, it was milder, but I became stiff and weak, and my muscles were hard.  I think that someday the increase in dose will be handled very differently if sanity ever returns to the medical field.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

2001-2011 Celexa 10 mg raised to 40 mg then 60 mg over this time period

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2012-2016 - Doctors raised dose of Zoloft up to 150 mg

2016 - Xanax prescribed - as needed - 0.5 mg about every 3 days (bad reaction)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Late 2016- Began (too fast) taper of Zoloft

Early 2017 - Trazodone prescribed for bedtime (doseage unknown)

Feb 2017 - Completed taper/stopped Trazodone

Drug free since Feb 2017

2017 - Unisom otc very rarely for sleep

9 hours ago, Rosetta said:

Sounding the alarm, here.  I hope a Mod will opine on my thoughts.  I find the stiffness and soreness you are experiencing very concerning.  I had that, and I thought it could have been because of benzo WD, but maybe not.  I will never know.  I felt that I moved as if I was 80, and my husband agreed.* You may be taking too much Prozac.  This is a gut feeling for me, but it’s very strong, and it’s based on my experience.  You may be having an adverse effect from 20 mg.  I was repeatedly injured by adverse reactions as my Zoloft dose was raised.  It was started at 10, then doubled, and doubled and doubled again all the way to 150.  

Hi @Rosetta and any mod with advice.  

Thanks for your response.

I am worried about it but was hoping it was like a start up side effect? I am terrified of reducing now though because of where I was before. It was so so frightening, just shocking. I can’t be there in that place again.  I couldn’t function and have no doubt I would have taken my life if it had continued.  It was VERY dark and frightening. Like nothing I have experienced.  I am also going back to work next week (I have to) otherwise I will lose my home. This is the first time in months I’ve felt able mentally but I feel like I’ll be hobbling around out of chairs at times if this stays the same. Saying that it’s not that I can’t mobilise etc, I can, I’m  just a bit sore and stiff.  I think it’s absolutely the Prozac.  Can’t be anything else I don’t think.  I would take the physical issue over the mental at this point though.  

Maybe it will ease? Is that likely? I only have the 20mg tabs now...no 10mg left and am really worried at what will happen if even I could reduce.  I see the psych again on 18th August?! I could ask then about prescribing lower dose and reducing slowly.  That is my plan anyway...it’s just when and how quickly I do that. I sensed the feedback was I stabilise on this for a bit. Give my CNS a rest.  I have to be very careful re work.  I can’t be off now for at least a year or I won’t be paid and could be sacked.  Whilst I do obviously think my health is important...if I lost my job and without money from work I think that would ruin me.  

Im so sick of being in these ******* dilemmas due to these bloody drugs.  I’m praying it’s a temporary start up side effect???  I just want to live a life, BE in my life without all this burden before I even start. 

Any response would be appreciated. 

SL

Ps:- I thought I should mention this re my recent Duloxetine withdrawal.  A doc told me they spoke to a pharmacist about me counting out the pills inside and decanting.  The pharmacist said Duloxetine  is in ‘gastro resistant’ capsules.  He said putting them into gelatine capsules was futile.  He said due to the nature of the drug and where it’s absorbed doing so would have meant the likelihood of it being destroyed before it became ‘active’ or reached the gut.  He said even if it did there is no way you would be getting a consistent amount?!? Is this the case. It concerned me and I didn’t understand.  I thought if that was the case it would not have been advised here and or that would have been known given the knowledge here seems so much more that anything in rl.  

Thanks for reading. 

SL

I feel the bubble burst a little.  Felt low yesterday and anxiety reappeared.  Have morning panic also.  I can’t sleep more than 2 or 3 hours and the RLS and uncomfortable body sensation increased and was in the day aswell as the night and my body, muscles are sore 😞 I’m still in a mentally better position but Idknw I can see cracks.  Trying to tell myself it’s ok.  It is what it is.  I’m terrified of lowering the Prozac at the minute given the hell of Duloxetine WD and terrified of the Prozac.  Something feels off.  Maybe it’s normal worry about return to work and a dip after initial Prozac increase.  I can’t seem to cry now, great for going back to work.  Not so good for general life. I feel a numbness and yet fear is creeping in.  Tired of these drugs.  Unsure about future. Trying to not drown in it.  I feel trapped again with the meds. Wtf. 

You need to get this figured out before you are dependent on that dose.  You can’t wait until Aug 18.  Do the pills have a score down the middle?  Could you break them in half?  If not you could get a pill cutter.

The stiffness in the muscles is a very worrying sign.  Also “Start Up”. symptoms are symptoms of adverse reaction.  They are not ok.  I’m very irritated that “Start Up” symptoms are being ignored and dismissed.

Please tell us when you started the antibiotic, how long you took it, and the name.  Also, when did you start Prozac, the dose, when did you raise the dose, when did you raise it to 20 mg?  Thanks.

We need a mod. @Gridley please see posts from Thursday, July 29 through today.

SL, You can’t allow yourself to become dependent on that dose by waiting until Aug 18th to see your doctor.  Your physical issues are very concerning to me.  “Start Up” symptoms are not insignificant annoyances.  They can be evidence of adverse reaction.  You should not be so stiff you can’t get up out of a chair.  These drugs cause serious damage such a dystonia, and muscle issues can be signs of serotonin syndrome.  You need to get this figured out ASAP, if you ask me.

Rosetta

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/16629-rosetta-ct-may-2011-too-fast-taper-feb-2017/?page=25

May 2011 OB Doctor's Cold switch Celexa 60 mg to 10 mg Zoloft sertraline (baby born)

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

• Moderator Emeritus

I am also concerned that you are taking too high a dose of Prozac.

From https://www.drugs.com/sfx/prozac-side-effects.html

Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking fluoxetine:

More common

Less common

• Chills or fever
  • joint or muscle pain

Rare

• Anxiety
  • cold sweats
  • confusion
  • convulsions (seizures)
  • cool pale skin
  • diarrhea
  • difficulty with concentration
  • drowsiness
  • dryness of the mouth
  • excessive hunger
  • fast or irregular heartbeat
  • headache
  • increased sweating
  • increased thirst
  • lack of energy
  • mood or behavior changes
  • overactive reflexes
  • purple or red spots on the skin
  • racing heartbeat
  • shakiness or unsteady walk
  • shivering or shaking
  • talking, feeling, and acting with excitement and activity you cannot control
  • trouble with breathing
  • unusual or incomplete body or facial movements
  • unusual tiredness or weakness

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

4 hours ago, Rosetta said:

You need to get this figured out before you are dependent on that dose.  You can’t wait until Aug 18.  Do the pills have a score down the middle?  Could you break them in half?  If not you could get a pill cutter.

The stiffness in the muscles is a very worrying sign.  Also “Start Up”. symptoms are symptoms of adverse reaction.  They are not ok.  I’m very irritated that “Start Up” symptoms are being ignored and dismissed.

Please tell us when you started the antibiotic, how long you took it, and the name.  Also, when did you start Prozac, the dose, when did you raise the dose, when did you raise it to 20 mg?  Thanks.

We need a mod. @Gridley please see posts from Thursday, July 29 through today.

SL, You can’t allow yourself to become dependent on that dose by waiting until Aug 18th to see your doctor.  Your physical issues are very concerning to me.  “Start Up” symptoms are not insignificant annoyances.  They can be evidence of adverse reaction.  You should not be so stiff you can’t get up out of a chair.  These drugs cause serious damage such a dystonia, and muscle issues can be signs of serotonin syndrome.  You need to get this figured out ASAP, if you ask me.

Rosetta

Hi @Rosetta, mods if any read.  Thanks again for your message. I am not dismissing ‘start up effects’, that’s why I asked about it.  I thought maybe it was normal to have that and or was trying not to panic or become fearful.  I don’t trust my reactions to anything anymore after Duloxetine WD.  

When I started the Prozac  and increased it is already updated in my signature alongside the AB.  The AB is Lymecycline @ 408mg and I’ve asked about it before.  I’m supposed to be on it for 3 to 6 months and I think I’ve been on it for a couple of months.  I had it last year for 3 months and also Doxycycline for a while but that made me vomit so it was stopped.  

I did let the GP know about the side effects of Prozac but nothing was said or changed.  The next Psych appt is 10th Aug not the 18th I got that wrong so it is closer.

I am starting to feel like I’m trapped in a fricking nightmare.  I was so relieved that the hell of Duloxetine withdrawal was eased. It was completely traumatising and going back there is not an option.  The consequences of that frighten me; firstly the emotional stability side of it and secondly the very precarious home/job position I am now in.  I need to be well and I HAVE to return to work on Tuesday.  I’m scared beyond belief in the background about how it will go, how I stay well within an extremely emotional, stressful job,  what the Prozac is doing and if it’s damaging me or keeping me alive.  

I dont know what to do for the best.  These ******* drugs will be the death of me one way or the other.  I am/was trying to be calm not panic, soak in some of the relatively ‘normal’ moments I’ve had since intro of P and pat myself on the back and show myself some compassion that i tried so hard coming off the D and that at least I was alive and now off that poisonous drug.  

However, now THIS.....I am terrified of reducing the P too quickly and I am terrified of being on it.  

Maybe there just just isn’t a way out.  😞 I’m so tired of this struggle. 

SL

I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean YOU dismissed the signs.  Doctors routinely say, “Oh, those are start up effects.  No worries.  They will go away.  In fact, let’s double the dose now.”  It’s infuriating.

EDIT: Yes, reducing too much or fast once one is dependent is a problem.  That’s why I’m concerned.  If you reduce now, you should not have a WD problem.  If you decide 20 is too much and that you have a movement disorder in two weeks you will have a dependency to the dose and a movement disorder.  Your doctor should be very worried about the stiffness and the way your muscles are being affected.  

It’s possible 10 mg will keep you stable now that you have reached emotional stability.  You could try 11, then 12, etc.  Twenty is probably too much, and a doctor should not feel boxed-in by the sizes of the pills that are made, but they do.

Edited by Rosetta
Add

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

@Rosetta I know you didn’t. Thanks. 🙏🏻   I just went to the shop and I’m limping because of the stiffness and pain In the muscles particularly in my right lower limb.  When I walked today it’s cramping and going into spasm.  I am now more worried about it.  It’s Prozac capsules I have and given what I’ve been told about my last use of counting, decanting Duloxetine into gelatin  capsules ive lost faith and I don’t want to do that. (No one got back about that?! Not sure why)

The Psych is in 9 days do you think that is ok to continue u til then.  I’m terrified of reducing due to past WD but now I’m scared to be on it.  I’m going back to work on Tuesday. I HAVE to manage. I’m starting to lose hope. 

Im so angry again at what these drugs do and doctors who don’t seem to care or understand.  I have to be calm. Shut down. Compartmentalise and go to work. 😞 Idknw. 

I understand why you feel so panicked.  That’s a normal response to your situation, and yes, you need to control it, but you have every right to feel angry.  (*Long rant inside my head, blah, blah.)

There is so such thing as Urgent Care with NHS, right?  You can’t go unannounced anywhere and say, I think I’m having an adverse reaction?  Well, you know what? It doesn’t matter.  If you did that, the doctor might take the Prozac away, and you don’t want that.  You want the lowest effective dose that does not cause issues.  It’s very hard for doctors to understand that 20 mg of Prozac could cause issues because they are not aware of the hyper sensitivity of people in protracted withdrawal.  A doctor might think that if this “small” dose is causing issues then you should not take Prozac.  

So, you might be better off handling this yourself.  Waiting 9 days could be okay — if you were not suffering an adverse reaction — as it’s often said to take 4 weeks for dependency on an AD to form.  The truth?  Who knows.  People have only begun to put money toward and focus research on that issue.  

If you are taking Prozac every day, I do not think your Prozac capsules are timed release.  They have powder inside, and you can dissolve the powder in water (Not the capsule).  You need a small syringe with no needle - the kind used to give oral meds to animals.  Here is the topic about tapering Prozac that explains how to take less than a full capsule:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

If I were you, I would drop back to 10 mg and start the process of finding the little syringe you need to make the contents of a 10 mg capsule a liquid.  I would not want to keep risking whatever 20 mg was doing to my body for 9 more days.  

I have Dystonia.  It’s not fun, and I have lost years of time to keep my heart healthy with exercise.  When I presented at urgent care with symptoms of a stroke which turned out to be dystonia, there was ZERO discussion of my AD and movement disorders.  He doctor did not recognize dystonia.  He was probably completely unaware of it.  I did not know until years later what was happening, and I had to figure it out on my own.

Maybe you should have a discussion with your doctor about the “theoretical” issue of movement disorders caused by Prozac.  See what he would do if you had such an issue.  Would he lower the dose or would he stop prescribing Prozac?  Ask him what sorts of things you should watch for while on Prozac that might indicate that you were taking too much.

I’m not sure about the duloxetine issue.  Good that you are done with it.  Maybe the manufacturing has changed.  I thought each tiny bead was coated in a material that prevents the drug from being broken down in the stomach.  People do taper by counting beads.  If the capsule prevents absorption, I would hope SA’s topic about tapering D will be updated soon.

Rosetta

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

TO ANY MODS PLEASE READ. Thanks. 

(I’m not sure where to write this? I did it in a previous post but not sure anyone read it.  It’s concern about  Duloxetine in UK and advice given here on decanting.   

I reinstated Duloxetine and advice given here was to decant beads into gelatin capsule.  I have since been told by an academic pharmacist that Duloxetine comes in ‘gastric-resistant capsules’  as otherwise the drug is  destroyed before it reaches the gut.  So because of this he said decanting the beads as I did into a gelatin capsule as had been suggested was likely useless.  He said you could never count on getting the same ‘dose’ that way as the body may be destroying the active ingredients before it reaches where it needs to. So, essentially I was getting no drug or differing levels of it when I was attempting reinstatement.  I asked in a previous post about this but nobody replied.  I am just worried that maybe the drug here is different or as Rosetta commented maybe manufacturing has changed.  I have no idea but obviously I don’t want others to be doing what I did if in fact what the pharmacist said is correct.  When I looked at the box it does say ‘gastro resistant capsules’.  It would therefore make sense.  Would someone be able to comment so I know this has been seen/considered.  And/or correct me or change the advice that is being given with regards to Duloxetine capsules and decanting.  

Thanks so much

SL

You are right about the duloxetine capsules, you must use the same one, otherwise you will be going cold turkey! No wonder you had horrible withdrawals the beeds must not be released in the stomach!

25 years on Prozac 20mg

Quit Cold turkey March 2020

had severe withdrawals so reinstated 20mg November 2020

went up to 30 mg February 2021

went on .5 mg risperidone March 2021

still having withdrawal symptoms currently takin 30mg Prozac 

and .5mg risperidone 

8 hours ago, ScottishLass said:

TO ANY MODS PLEASE READ. Thanks. 

(I’m not sure where to write this? I did it in a previous post but not sure anyone read it.  It’s concern about  Duloxetine in UK and advice given here on decanting.   

I reinstated Duloxetine and advice given here was to decant beads into gelatin capsule.  I have since been told by an academic pharmacist that Duloxetine comes in ‘gastric-resistant capsules’  as otherwise the drug is  destroyed before it reaches the gut.  So because of this he said decanting the beads as I did into a gelatin capsule as had been suggested was likely useless.  He said you could never count on getting the same ‘dose’ that way as the body may be destroying the active ingredients before it reaches where it needs to. So, essentially I was getting no drug or differing levels of it when I was attempting reinstatement.  I asked in a previous post about this but nobody replied.  I am just worried that maybe the drug here is different or as Rosetta commented maybe manufacturing has changed.  I have no idea but obviously I don’t want others to be doing what I did if in fact what the pharmacist said is correct.  When I looked at the box it does say ‘gastro resistant capsules’.  It would therefore make sense.  Would someone be able to comment so I know this has been seen/considered.  And/or correct me or change the advice that is being given with regards to Duloxetine capsules and decanting.  

Thanks so much

SL

@arbor @getofflex @Altostrata

Sorry im just tagging so I know this has been seen. I don’t want someone else to do what I did and or advice to be updated. Thank you 🙏🏻

So I was due to return to work tomorrow and I cancelled it this morning.  My manager was ok but have one more week then return or likely end of current job.  Trying to ignore the stress or not see it as pressure.  It’s hard.  

I only slept a couple of hours again last night (insomnia back ++ since P and anxiety spikes bad last night and today.  I don’t know why? Me, the Prozac, stress.  Anyway I am attempting to manage the anxiety and not panic, breathing, distraction, recognising what’s happening in my body and trying to perceive it in a different way.  I am much more mindful about this now and hope I can grow further.  My muscles are still stiff, sore and cramping in my lower limbs and body restlessness today has been a little anxiety provoking and uncomfortable....and in the day not just night-time😞. I also had a really weird, wobbly brain today and felt a bit removed.  My general mood and ability to regulate my emotions is much better though and SI gone.  I now do think that the 20mg is too activating.  Once more though trying to get lower dose from GP prior to psych review has been super stressful and unsuccessful.  It shouldn’t be this hard! 😔. I am really scared of reducing it myself though. I knw that seems ridiculous but WD from Duloxetine was so traumatising and whilst I’m concerned part of me is thinking these effects might go away tomorrow or the next week and maybe then I don’t run the risk of destabilising mood/emotions as my job has to work next week.  

Im going to see how things are tomorrow and plan to see if the local pharmacy can give me a syringe.  I’m so tired of having to DIY everything because the fecking drs don’t listen or it’s not in their timescale.  So tired of it.

The plus, I’m off the evil Duloxetine and not experiencing intense, constant fear and SI.  The minus...I’m now on Prozac bridge, with the intention of an easier taper that has initially helped ....but is it now hurting me?  

So worried to reduce, so worried not to reduce.

SL 

None of this is right 🤬

• Administrator
21 hours ago, ScottishLass said:

I reinstated Duloxetine and advice given here was to decant beads into gelatin capsule.  I have since been told by an academic pharmacist that Duloxetine comes in ‘gastric-resistant capsules’  as otherwise the drug is  destroyed before it reaches the gut.

This is incorrect. The coating on each bead protects the drug from stomach acid. The duloxetine capsule is only an ordinary gelatin capsule with no magic properties.

We have thoroughly researched this. Hundreds of people here have tapered duloxetine by bead-counting. The details are all here Tips for tapering off duloxetine (Cymbalta with links to sources such as the FDA and Lilly, the original manufacturer of Cymbalta.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Altostrata thank you very much for clarifying.  I thought the information here was more likely to be correct.  I was just worried that the drug may be different or manufacturing had changed.  I didn’t want to not bring up what I had been told just in case.  It does say on the box gastro resistant capsule which led  me to wonder. That’s another pharmacist and Dr giving out incorrect information.

Thanks

• Administrator

Does your capsule contain tiny beads? What is the manufacturer?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata Yep they did contain tiny beads.  Sometimes it was different manufacturers given so I couldn’t say what they all were.  The only box l could find as I’ve chucked the rest away was ‘- ‘Milpharm’ Duloxetine gastro-resistant capsules, hard. Another was HBS healthcare. 

• Administrator

Duloxetine Milpharm 60mg gastro-resistant capsules

Capsule shell: 

Cap:

Titanium dioxide (E 171)

FD & C Blue (E132)

Gelatin

Sodium lauryl sulfate

Body:

Iron oxide yellow (E172) 

Titanium dioxide (E 171)

FD & C Blue (E132) 

Gelatin

Sodium lauryl sulfate

This is nothing but a tinted gelatin capsule shell. The coating on each bead is gastro-protective.

Thank you for taking the time. Much appreciated. 

On 8/1/2021 at 8:11 PM, Rosetta said:

I understand why you feel so panicked.  That’s a normal response to your situation, and yes, you need to control it, but you have every right to feel angry.  (*Long rant inside my head, blah, blah.)

There is so such thing as Urgent Care with NHS, right?  You can’t go unannounced anywhere and say, I think I’m having an adverse reaction?  Well, you know what? It doesn’t matter.  If you did that, the doctor might take the Prozac away, and you don’t want that.  You want the lowest effective dose that does not cause issues.  It’s very hard for doctors to understand that 20 mg of Prozac could cause issues because they are not aware of the hyper sensitivity of people in protracted withdrawal.  A doctor might think that if this “small” dose is causing issues then you should not take Prozac.  

So, you might be better off handling this yourself.  Waiting 9 days could be okay — if you were not suffering an adverse reaction — as it’s often said to take 4 weeks for dependency on an AD to form.  The truth?  Who knows.  People have only begun to put money toward and focus research on that issue.  

If you are taking Prozac every day, I do not think your Prozac capsules are timed release.  They have powder inside, and you can dissolve the powder in water (Not the capsule).  You need a small syringe with no needle - the kind used to give oral meds to animals.  Here is the topic about tapering Prozac that explains how to take less than a full capsule:

https://www.survivingantidepressants.org/topic/759-tips-for-tapering-off-prozac-fluoxetine/

If I were you, I would drop back to 10 mg and start the process of finding the little syringe you need to make the contents of a 10 mg capsule a liquid.  I would not want to keep risking whatever 20 mg was doing to my body for 9 more days.  

I have Dystonia.  It’s not fun, and I have lost years of time to keep my heart healthy with exercise.  When I presented at urgent care with symptoms of a stroke which turned out to be dystonia, there was ZERO discussion of my AD and movement disorders.  He doctor did not recognize dystonia.  He was probably completely unaware of it.  I did not know until years later what was happening, and I had to figure it out on my own.

Maybe you should have a discussion with your doctor about the “theoretical” issue of movement disorders caused by Prozac.  See what he would do if you had such an issue.  Would he lower the dose or would he stop prescribing Prozac?  Ask him what sorts of things you should watch for while on Prozac that might indicate that you were taking too much.

I’m not sure about the duloxetine issue.  Good that you are done with it.  Maybe the manufacturing has changed.  I thought each tiny bead was coated in a material that prevents the drug from being broken down in the stomach.  People do taper by counting beads.  If the capsule prevents absorption, I would hope SA’s topic about tapering D will be updated soon.

Rosetta

Hi @Rosetta

thank you for your response and advice.🙏🏻  I left a further message for GP requesting 15mg Prozac rather than 20mg.  Still no response.  I’m too scared to drop to 10mg so quickly and was struggling still on that so thought I’d do a smaller drop then hopefully stabilise without these hideous side effects and then see psych on 11th and ask AGAIN for liquid lower doses.  So then I went to the pharmacy as no help from gp, told him what I was doing, he said he wouldn’t advise and came up with loosely half truth arguments about efficacy.  🤯 SHUT UP!!! Anyway he sold me a syringe and I am going to dissolve Prozac in water tomorrow.

The muscles in my lower limbs are just going into spasm as soon as I walk anywhere and I’m still so stiff and it’s not easing.  I feel like there is an electrical buzzing in my veins. I feel off.  RLS is just off the scale, my sleep which was much better on 10mg is almost non existent and I’m having flashes of horrible panic again that feel very drug induced.  So all in all I think it’s too activating and may inadvertently tip my mood into the wrong place anyway because of that. So not helpful.  But....I do think I need a lower level to keep above water.  It’s such a difficult balancing act. I didn’t go back to work today and have one more week to get sorted. I just want to be in my life without all this ****. Just SOME PEACE. Please

@Altostrata, @Gridley @Onmyway or any mods.  
Hi anyone who can help with maths and tapering.  I would REALLY appreciate some help. Sorry I just don’t have the maths gene…….in anyway, shape or form!!! Quite embarrassing🙄 I read a link on here but I still don’t get it.

PROZAC capsule POWDER to LIQUID by dissolving in water.

I have 20mg powder capsules and today I picked up an oral 10ml syringe.

I want to reduce to 15mg prozac from tomorrow due to side effects.
So what do I need to do. How much water do I dissolve a 20mg tab in to get 15mg.   
Could you also tell me what I would need to do if I decided to reduce to 18mg also.  
Thanks very much for all the advice and support provided here.  It is really, really appreciated.

SL

Hi ScottishLass, happy to help. I am not familiar with the detail of dissolving fluoxetine but can help with the calculation of the dosage. 

The easiest way is to dissolve the 20mg fluoxetine into 20ml of the liquid (2 syringes filled up to 10ml).

Then for 15 mg draw 15 ml (1 syringe of 10ml and 1 syringe up to 5ml) and take that. 

For 18 mg draw 18ml (1 syringe of 10ml and 1 syringe of 8 ml) and take that. 

Hope this works. But I see from your signature that there have been a lot of changes and I wonder if it is not good to stabilize on 20mg first. Unless it is causing adverse events that's what I would advise.  (Note: haven't read the whole thread so my advice is only based on your signature and you can disregard it if I am missing the detail)

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

1 hour ago, Onmyway said:

Hi ScottishLass, happy to help. I am not familiar with the detail of dissolving fluoxetine but can help with the calculation of the dosage. 

The easiest way is to dissolve the 20mg fluoxetine into 20ml of the liquid (2 syringes filled up to 10ml).

Then for 15 mg draw 15 ml (1 syringe of 10ml and 1 syringe up to 5ml) and take that. 

For 18 mg draw 18ml (1 syringe of 10ml and 1 syringe of 8 ml) and take that. 

Hope this works. But I see from your signature that there have been a lot of changes and I wonder if it is not good to stabilize on 20mg first. Unless it is causing adverse events that's what I would advise.  (Note: haven't read the whole thread so my advice is only based on your signature and you can disregard it if I am missing the detail)

@Onmyway Thanks so much for that. I missed the Math gene when they were giving that out.  Not sure that pocket of the left side of my brain has ever worked. 🙄🤣

Thats really great.  Yep I’m reducing because my legs are in spasm, muscles extremely stiff etc.  Maybe I should just go down to 18??? I feel completely ‘activated’ chemically in not a great way.  No sleep, buzzing body, stiff sore muscles and waves of panic.  Feels very drug orientated.  I must admit I’m terrified about reducing and terrified about not. 

Thanks again 

SL

Hi ScottishLass, 

I don't really know what to advise off the top of my head. I will make sure to familiarize myself with your story after an urgent deadline at work (thursday/friday most likely). The buzzed feeling can be from all the changes and withdrawal but it could also be from the reinstatement. It's hard to know which. Perhaps you need to go down to 18 first and then see how you react? I really don't know what to advise - you are between a rock and a hard place as they say :(

Don't worry about the math gene - I think most often people believe that to be true but it is not necessarily :) But I have had times in withdrawal where I have mixed my words in front of people so cognitive fog is an issue and it's good to check these things. I have made math mistakes myself especially in the worst of it. 

I wish I knew how to help you. In general I find that stabilization at whatever dose is helpful but it can take some time to achieve. How long have you been on this dose of prozac? Would you want to wait it out longer and then start tapering? 

"Nothing so small as a moment is insurmountable, and moments are all that we have. You have survived every trial and tribulation that life has thrown at you up until this very instant. When future troubles come—and they will come—a version of you will be born into that moment that can conquer them, too." - Kevin Koenig 

I am not a doctor and this should not be considered medical advice. You can use the information and recommendations provided in whatever way you want and all decisions on your treatment are yours. 

In the next few weeks I do not have a lot of capacity to respond to questions. If you need a quick answer pls tag or ask other moderators who may want to be tagged. 

Aug  2000 - July 2003 (ct, 4-6 wk wd) , citalopram 20 mg,  xanax prn, wellbutrin for a few months, trazodone prn 

Dec 2004 - July 2018 citalopram 20 mg, xanax prn (rarely used)

Aug 2018 - citalopram 40 mg (self titrated up)

September 2018 - January 2019 tapered citalopram - 40/30/20/10/5 no issues until a week after reaching 0

Feb 2019 0.25 xanax - 0.5/day (3 weeks) over to klonopin 0.25 once a day to manage severe wd

March 6, reinstated citalopram 2.5 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 mg for sleep 2-3 times a week

Apr 1st citalopram 2.0 mg (liquid), klonopin 0.25 once a week (off by 4/14/19- no tapering)

citalopram (liquid) 4/14/19 -1.8 mg, 5/8/19 - 1.6 mg,  7/27/19 -1.5 mg,  8/15/19 - 1.35, 2/21/21 - 1.1 (smaller drops in between), 6/20/21 - 1.03 mg, 8/7/21- 1.025, 8/11/21 - 1.02, 8/15/21 - 1.015, 9/3/21 - 0.925 (fingers crossed!), 10/8/21 - 0.9, 10/18/21 - 0.875, 12/31/21 - 0.85, 1/7/22 - 0.825, 1/14/22 - 0.8, 1/22/22 - 0.785, 8/18/22 - 0.59, 12/15/2022 - 0.48, 2/15/22 - 0.43, 25/07/23 - 0.25 (mistake), 6/08/23 - 0.33mg

Supplements: magnesium citrate and bi-glycinate

• Administrator

On 10mg Fluoxetine12/07: Updose 20mg Fluoxetine

@ScottishLass when did you start 10mg fluoxetine and when did you updose to 20mg?

Hi @Altostrata it’s in my signature.  
(Thanks for clarifying re coating on Duloxetine in previous post. It’s appreciated).

Re Meds:-
Stopped reinstatement of 2mg Duloxetine on 20th June.
Started 10mg Prozac on 20th June.

Up dose to 20mg on 12th July.

SL

@Altostrata

Hi @Altostrata it’s in my signature.  
(Thanks for clarifying re coating on Duloxetine in previous post btw. It’s appreciated).

Re Meds:-
Stopped reinstatement of 2mg Duloxetine on 20th June.

Up dose to 20mg Peozac on 12th July.

thanks

SL

• Administrator
39 minutes ago, ScottishLass said:

Up dose to 20mg Peozac on 12th July.

Please summarize this information in your signature.

You might go down to 17.5mg Prozac for a few days, then 15mg, stay there and see if that's better. 

It will take about 3 weeks for the reduction to take full effect. Please let us know how your symptom pattern changes over that time. 

On 5/7/2021 at 11:30 PM, Altostrata said:

....What we want is the times of day (o'clock) you take your drugs, their dosages, and any unusual symptoms in between, 24 hours at a time.

Fyi:

On 5/18/2021 at 4:50 PM, Altostrata said:

....It's possible a little Prozac, say 0.5mg, might help more than the duloxetine.

4th August 21

1 - 6am - insomnia continues and RLS and inner agitation+ so go downstairs to get out of my head/body.

6am -  Begin to fall asleep. Go back to bed. Sleep

8.30am - wake. Waves of anxiety. Headache. Sneezing and sniffly, sinus irritation. Feel a bit foggy, removed. 

9.30am - get up, muscles stiff and right lower limb sore (spasms) take 20mg Prozac (in error 🤯- was going to reduce🤯) and 408mg Lymecycline with cup of tea. 

10 am feel extremely fatigued. Diarrhea. 

12pm buzzing feeling in veins, a little RLS and uneasiness. Attempt short walk to pick up milk.  Right lower leg spasms on walking. Painful. Joints feel stiff. 

1pm potter, sketch, feel uneasy+

2pm cramp/spasm in back and stomach 

11.30pm RLS starts up ++ and inner agit/uneasiness 

4. 40am fall asleep

6am Wake. Anxiety wave. Some RLS, sniffly. Notice ulcers in mouth. 

SL

*I think Prozac is causing stiffness, spasms and very uneasy, uncomfortable feelings and some episodes of panic which had reduced on 10mg.  Body feels electrically buzzy.  Head foggy, muffled. A bit removed. Whilst mood remains generally better than it was and constant weeping, terror and SI (🙏🏻) has stopped the uneasiness persists and RLS, inner agit and muscle changes etc is really worrying and beginning to impact mood somewhat.

Is it too activating. Is this dangerous.  Will it subside. Is it expected after 3 weeks on dose increase? 

@Rosetta I think your concerns were right. I wish I’d listened to you earlier and not jumped to 20mg but I felt I had to in my mind due to S.  It did initially pay off, Im alive but  I’m so worried about recent side effects, about effects of reducing now, about rtw, a future?  About how I manage to keep going with this. All the old anger and shock emotions are back. My mood is better but I am so ‘off’, uncomfortable with inner agit and  I curse the day I was given a med.🤬🤬🤬   Feeling defeated.

3 hours ago, ScottishLass said:

4th August 21

1 - 6am - insomnia continues and RLS and inner agitation+ so go downstairs to get out of my head/body.

6am -  Begin to fall asleep. Go back to bed. Sleep

8.30am - wake. Waves of anxiety. Headache. Sneezing and sniffly, sinus irritation. Feel a bit foggy, removed. 

9.30am - get up, muscles stiff and right lower limb sore (spasms) take 20mg Prozac (in error 🤯- was going to reduce🤯) and 408mg Lymecycline with cup of tea. 

10 am feel extremely fatigued. Diarrhea. 

12pm buzzing feeling in veins, a little RLS and uneasiness. Attempt short walk to pick up milk.  Right lower leg spasms on walking. Painful. Joints feel stiff. 

1pm potter, sketch, feel uneasy+

2pm cramp/spasm in back and stomach 

11.30pm RLS starts up ++ and inner agit/uneasiness 

4. 40am fall asleep

6am Wake. Anxiety wave. Some RLS, sniffly. Notice ulcers in mouth. 

SL

*I think Prozac is causing stiffness, spasms and very uneasy, uncomfortable feelings and some episodes of panic which had reduced on 10mg.  Body feels electrically buzzy.  Head foggy, muffled. A bit removed. Whilst mood remains generally better than it was and constant weeping, terror and SI (🙏🏻) has stopped the uneasiness persists and RLS, inner agit and muscle changes etc is really worrying and beginning to impact mood somewhat.

Is it too activating. Is this dangerous.  Will it subside. Is it expected after 3 weeks on dose increase? 

@Rosetta I think your concerns were right. I wish I’d listened to you earlier and not jumped to 20mg but I felt I had to in my mind due to S.  It did initially pay off, Im alive but  I’m so worried about recent side effects, about effects of reducing now, about rtw, a future?  About how I manage to keep going with this. All the old anger and shock emotions are back. My mood is better but I am so ‘off’, uncomfortable with inner agit and  I curse the day I was given a med.🤬🤬🤬   Feeling defeated.

@Altostrata

(((SL))). I’m so sad for you.  I know all those feelings so well and the desperation to escape the inner agitation.  Thank goodness the SI is gone.  Now, you will need to wait for healing.  

Do you have the tools to reduce as Alto recommended?

2016 - Stopped Xanax

Drug free since Feb 2017

3 hours ago, Rosetta said:

(((SL))). I’m so sad for you.  I know all those feelings so well and the desperation to escape the inner agitation.  Thank goodness the SI is gone.  Now, you will need to wait for healing.  

Do you have the tools to reduce as Alto recommended?

Thanks @Rosetta

Never did I expect all this, never. 

Yes, I have the tools and I asked how to do it. 

On 8/3/2021 at 1:20 PM, ScottishLass said:

Hi @Rosetta

thank you for your response and advice.🙏🏻  I left a further message for GP requesting 15mg Prozac rather than 20mg.  Still no response.  I’m too scared to drop to 10mg so quickly and was struggling still on that so thought I’d do a smaller drop then hopefully stabilise without these hideous side effects and then see psych on 11th and ask AGAIN for liquid lower doses.  So then I went to the pharmacy as no help from gp, told him what I was doing, he said he wouldn’t advise and came up with loosely half truth arguments about efficacy.  🤯 SHUT UP!!! Anyway he sold me a syringe and I am going to dissolve Prozac in water tomorrow.

The muscles in my lower limbs are just going into spasm as soon as I walk anywhere and I’m still so stiff and it’s not easing.  I feel like there is an electrical buzzing in my veins. I feel off.  RLS is just off the scale, my sleep which was much better on 10mg is almost non existent and I’m having flashes of horrible panic again that feel very drug induced.  So all in all I think it’s too activating and may inadvertently tip my mood into the wrong place anyway because of that. So not helpful.  But....I do think I need a lower level to keep above water.  It’s such a difficult balancing act. I didn’t go back to work today and have one more week to get sorted. I just want to be in my life without all this ****. Just SOME PEACE. Please

Trying to see the light. 😔 

Thanks for (()) 

SL

• Administrator
16 hours ago, ScottishLass said:

I think Prozac is causing stiffness, spasms and very uneasy, uncomfortable feelings and some episodes of panic which had reduced on 10mg.

This is possible. It is why we are discussing reducing from 20mg in steps as explained above, so you'll be taking 10mg.