Mario77: Multiple medication mishaps

Mario77

I am going through same bad times. I was started ( 4/21) on Zoloft, Lunesta and Diazepam for my anxiety, after a health scare.

Not my first episode. Usually on Effexor, Valium and some Z drugs. Always been able to taper to zero once the crisis is over.

This episode I and took Lunesta and Diazepam for a couple weeks, and sertraline, after my surgery (for a few days). Due to increased jitteriness and sleep issues, my doc switch me to mirtazapine, increasing to 45. Sayed there for 6 weeks or so...no improvement. Cut the mirtazapine down to 30 in a month (I know, too fast...). Switched to Ambien, then to Ambien CR, since I was sleeping 3-4 hrs a night.  Switched to Ativan, since Diazepam was making me sleepy during the day.  Even tried Risperidone for a couple weeks. Used to have windows in the evening. After cutting to 30 mir and adding/discontinuing risperidone, no windows.  Until last evening. Got a good 5 hr window.

As of today (8/22/21) I am on 2 or 3 mg Ativan (depending on the day), Ambien CR and Mirtazapine 30mg.  No more risperidone.

I am torn between doing nothing, tapering something (mirt , I guess) and cross-tapering. The cross tapering would be to Zoloft, since my last episode (5 year ago) Effexor stopped working and I was put on Zoloft (which helped, I assume, since I recovered).

I need some advise. I can't say I am stable. What should I do : hold and do nothing, keep tapering mirt, cross taper to Zoloft.

I would also need a mentor, ideally someone who was on mirt and get off of it. For now, I  don't want to touch the benzos and Z drug. My understanding is that you taper the sedatives last.

I really appreciate you reading this and giving it some thought.

Thank you,

Mario

Edited by manymoretodays
name to title, spacing

• manymoretodays changed the title to Mario77: I need a mentor
  •  

I am going through same bad times. I was started ( April 2021) on Zoloft, Lunesta and Diazepam for my anxiety, after a health scare.

Not my first episode. Usually on Effexor, Valium and some Z drugs. Always been able to taper to zero once the crisis is over.

This episode I and took Lunesta and Diazepam for a couple weeks, and sertraline, after my surgery (for a few days). Due to increased jitteriness and sleep issues, my doc switch me to mirtazapine, increasing to 45. Sayed there for 6 weeks or so...no improvement. Cut the mirtazapine down to 30 in a month (I know, too fast...). Switched to Ambien, then to Ambien CR, since I was sleeping 3-4 hrs a night.  Switched to Ativan, since Diazepam was making me sleepy during the day.  Even tried Risperidone for a couple weeks. Used to have windows in the evening. After cutting to 30 mir and adding/discontinuing risperidone, no windows.  Until last evening. Got a good 5 hr window.

As of today (8/29/21) I am on 2 mg Ativan (depending on the day), Ambien CR and Mirtazapine 30mg.  No more risperidone.

I am torn between doing nothing, tapering something (mirt , I guess) and cross-tapering. The cross tapering would be to Zoloft, since my last episode (5 year ago) Effexor stopped working and I was put on Zoloft (which helped, I assume, since I recovered).

I need some advise. I can't say I am stable. What should I do : hold and do nothing, keep tapering mirt, cross taper to Zoloft.

I would also need a mentor, ideally someone who was on mirt and get off of it. For now, I  don't want to touch the benzos and Z drug. My understanding is that you taper the sedative last.

I really appreciate you reading this and giving it some thought.

Thank you,

Mario

• manymoretodays changed the title to Mario77: Multiple medication mishaps
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mario77, @Mario77and welcome aboard,

I'm sorry your first post, did not gather responses.  We don't offer one on one mentorship really, but can help to get you educated regarding your drug usage, and offer suggestions.  And we do have some who have successfully tapered mirtazapine too.  So bear with us.  And consider right now, kind of an information gathering period.

We are an internet forum type site, for tapering and WD(withdrawal) syndrome, and then hopefully helping with harm reduction methods of tapering medications, to minimize or avoid WD.  We offer support as well, around tapering and WD.

So we don't do medication adjustments per se, that would be your prescribing doctors domain and responsibility.

It looks like you've been on and off multiple medications to date.  Do you have any interest in perhaps at some point trying to go medication free, or even tapering to lowest dosages?

And it does sound pretty unstable right now.  I noted that you are likely in WD from previous medications, while trialing new medications.  It only takes about a month for most psychotropics to cause dependency, and much less than that for the benzo's........drugs like your Valium, Ativan, and often the sleeper drugs too, or Z drugs, like Ambien.

So I have no doubt you are struggling right now.  Very sorry to hear this.

If you would be so kind as to do a Signature:

How to list your drug history in a signature

try and give us some good time frames in this, start and stop dates, and names and doses of various drugs used in the last 2 years at least.  Prior to that you can summarize, with dates.

And I know you asked about what to taper, as you are often on multiple medications.  Here's our link with more on that:

Taking multiple psych drugs? Which drug to taper first?

And then you are anxious to get off mirtazapine, so here's the linkage to that topic as well:

Tips for tapering off mirtazapine(Remeron)

For right now though, my best suggest would be to try and stick with the same drugs, taken at the same time, every day.  It sounds like you've been making frequent changes and adjustments.  That can really disrupt your nervous system while it's trying real hard to reach some equilibrium and balance.

General topics, I like members to get familiar with too:

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

What is withdrawal syndrome?

How psychiatric drugs remodel your brain

Dr.Glenmullen’s withdrawal symptom list

open up one of the PDF's ^ and I bet you'll see many of your present symptoms

The Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

And I'm certain you must be having some WD underlying some of your symptoms now.

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Good to have you Mario77.  

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

moderator manymoretodays

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Welcome, @Mario77

What are your main symptoms currently? Were all these drugs prescribed for sleep?

What times o'clock do you take each drug, with its dosage? How do you feel before and after taking each dose? What is your sleep pattern?

When was the last time you made a drug change (up, down, sideways)?

4 hours ago, Mario77 said:

As of today (8/29/21) I am on 2 mg Ativan (depending on the day), Ambien CR and Mirtazapine 30mg.  No more risperidone.

Are there some days when you take no Ativan? In the last 2 weeks, how often have you taken Ativan, how much per day? 

Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms throughout the day. We need to know how you feel before and after taking each drug, and your symptoms in between. Post 24 hours of notes at a time in this topic, in a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom or drug and dosage) on the right. This can show if your symptoms are adverse effects from one of your drugs.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto,

My main symptoms are anxiety, panic attacks, back pain, near sight bad.

I take my Mirt 26.75 (I am trying to chip away a quarter of a 15mg)  and Ambien CR at bedtime , around 10:30. I sleep maybe from midnight to 5:30.

In the morning I have huge anxiety, and take my Ativan 1 mg at 7, 8 or 9. I suffer through the day and at  1, 2 or 3pm take another Ativan. I was on daily benzos for almost 5 months now (Valium first, Ativan now). There were days and weeks maybe when I took 3 mg Ativan. Afternoons are bad, evening a bit better. Not functional at all. I don't see much change after any medication. Tried hydroxyzine a couple times, been on Risperidone 2 weeks, maybe 3 week ago. Please help.

I was told to try and stabilize at 3 mg Ativan and taper benzo after that, using Ashton. What everyone thinks about that? As of now, I don't think I can start tapering Mirt, I'm so unstable. Is going to 3 Ativan a good idea? And taper after stabilization?

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mario77,

For your signature, I know that you've been on and off medications for at least 5 years, as you've said that in your narratives.  So could you edit a bit when you are up to it, starting with the year on the left, and just a summary of the years prior to the last 18 months- 2 years.  Like the example/sample in this link.

So, it would look something like this:

20??, or 19??- began using psychotropic medications, mainly ??

2016 Effexor, maybe Valium, maybe Lunesta

Definitely add in any years that you might have managed drug free

20??-  Effexor to Zoloft plus whatever else, to the date you stopped these drug, or drugs, approximate if needed, note fast taper, direct switch, whatever

2021- Any drugs before April?  If so, which ones? ...... and then what you did put into the signature, which you might summarize to something like this:

2021- April- started Lunesta 3 mg changed to AmbienCR (need dose) around June to present

April- Diazepam at first prn, then daily up to 25 mg, changed to Ativan 2-3 mg  in June to present

May- Zoloft 25 mg for 2-3 days only(bad reaction), and then to Mirtazapine titrated up to 45 mg, I tapered it to 30 mg over a month, and August 30th, holding at 26.75 mg Mirtazipine  (you noted 30 mg on the 22nd of August, when did you go down again, note that here too)

? August-Risperidone, up to 0.5 mg, and backed down and off over 2 weeks, some hydroxyzine 

Previous history prior to 2021 can be brief, and you might be able to get the since April information even more separated out, by drug(s) and still stay within the 12 line boundary.  I hope that gives you a better idea, it's still not great......referring to my version.  Just stick to the drugs and drug information, in the signature.  Dates, names, dose changes, etc.  You'll get it.

To do any signature edits you just go here:  Account Settings/signature  Do make sure to hit SAVE when done, it comes up at the bottom

In regards to your most recent question.......another question ?

How did you feel when you took 3 mg Ativan divided into 3 doses each day?  It sounds like you may have experimented with your Ativan dosing already, so thought I would ask.

And just hang in there too Mario77.  You've had such a recent onslaught of many drugs, and so many changes.  This might take time to sort out a bit. We need more information from you too.  So,  try to report another day too, the full 24 hours, using the Notes format too.   Right here in a reply box.  Read through and look at that underlined link, and try that.

Best, L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Administrator

Hello, @Mario77 Some of your symptoms may be from your taking Ativan inconsistently. You may be getting interdose withdrawal.

You will have to get on a regular schedule of Ativan, with consistent doses. @Frogie or @Shep will help you.

When did you start taking Ambien CR, and why?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@Mario77

I see in your signature you were taking 2-3 mg a day. How much are you actually taking? You might want to take it 3 times a day as Alto said you could be getting interdose withdrawal. And not keeping it constant in your system, as Ativan wears off in about 6-8 hours. You might try taking it at the same time everyday. I took my Xanax  at 6am, 12pm, and again at 6pm.

How do you feel about that? Just so you’re on a consistent schedule that works for you. You can make your own schedule as long as you keep it consistent for you.

Please let me know.

Take care,

Frogie xx

PREVIOUS medications and discontinuations: Have been on medications since 1996. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

I am not a medical professional.

The suggestions I make are based on personal experience.

I was/am fighting to stay at 2mg Ativan. For long I was taking 1 mg at midnight and I had only 1 mg to cover the day. I was taking it in desperation, when my anxiety was huge. As such, every day around 6pm I would get horrendous back pain and anxiety. Even now, I am afraid to take the 3rd mg. I know I am dependent already, but where does it stop? Because I don't have anything else going for me. My Doc wants to add Sertraline over my Mirtazapine (I was for months on it, up to 45mg in 3 week, 3  more weeks on this dose, tapered to 30mg in a month). I  have no patience and my doc is willing to adjust my meds whenever I want. So I was up and down on 4-5 meds in the last 3 months.

Do you advise 3 mg Ativan divided over the day? What would be better, 0.5 mg more often or 3 times 1 mg, spaces 8 hrs apart? My doc keep saying up to 4 mg max, PRN. That doesn't work anymore, since I am dependent on it.

Not sure how to stabilize.

I started Ambien CR after not sleeping very well on Lunesta (7/9/21).

I have an account on benzobuddies and they recommended to stabilize at 3 mg Ativan. But I am so afraid of increasing it...But I have no way out. So, should I dose 6AM, 2PM and 10PM? At 10 PM I am taking my Mirt (should I go back to 30, since I went down to 26.25mg only 4 days ago?) and my Ambien CR. Stick with the dosing time, even if feel bad? Or dose more often, only 0.5 at a time?

Thank you and God bless you all!

Eagerly waiting for advice.

16 hours ago, Frogie said:

I took my Xanax  at 6am, 12pm, and again at 6pm.

Hi Frogie,

How about overnight, were you covered by something else? Will I be covered by my Ambien CR and Mirtazapine?

Thanks

If I couldn’t sleep at night I tried 0.3 mg of melatonin. But it gave me a headache so I stopped it. A lot of people find it beneficial to them. I wouldn’t try it until you try a few nights with the Ambien and Mirtz, as that should keep you sleeping.

I found that if I shut the computer off an hour or so before bed, and wore ear plugs and an eye mask, kept the room dark, and no caffeine after 2-3 pm (if you drink caffeine), I could get 5-6 hours sleep. 

You might try a epson salt bath before bed or a little magnesium to calm you. 

Valium, Gabapentin, Lamictal, Prilosec and Zantac from 2000 to 2015 with a fast taper by a psychiatrist.

Liquid Lexapro Nov, 2016 to 31-March, 2019 Lexapro free!!! (total Lexapro taper was 4 years-started with pill form)

---CURRENT MEDICATIONS:Supplements:Milk Thistle, Metamucil, Magnesium Citrate, Vitamin D3, Levothyroxine 25mcg, Vitamin C, Krill oil.

Xanax 1mg 3x day June, 2000 to 19-September, 2020 Went from .150 grams (average weight of 1 Xanax) 3x day to .003 grams 3x day. April 1, 2021 went back on 1mg a day. Started tapering May 19, 2023. July 28, 2023-approximately .87mg. Dr. fast tapered me at the end and realized he messed up. Prescribe it again and I am doing "slower than a turtle" taper.

19-September, 2020 Xanax free!!! (total Xanax taper was 15-1/2 months-1-June, 2019-19-September, 2020)

OK. So maybe 6AM, noon and 6PM is fine. I am sleeping 5-6 hrs, too. That's not bad, considering. I used Mg and B6 complex in the evening, also. Not sure of the way ahead...Add Sertraline or just taper Mirtazapine? Both? Sit here for a while, where I am?

Thanks a lot!

Cutting the Ambien CR cold turkey (at the doctor's advice) did not help. Re-instated Ambien and split the clonazepam half in the evening 0.75, half in the morning 0.75

Here is my day, Alto

6 , 7 AM wake with anxiety 4/10

9 AM take my Lexapro 5 and clonazepam 0.75, with breakfast

10AM morning anxiety 5 or 6/10

12PM lunch

2PM increased anxiety

6PM peak anxiety 9/10, pacing in the house, begging my wife to take me to the ER, swearing I will never take Lexapro again

9PM Clonazepam 1 mg

10 or 11PM go to bed, take mirtazapine 26.25mg

2 or 3 AM wake up, take my Ambien CR 12.5

I am lost here. Should I trust my doc and keep going on with the Lexapro? Stop it now, as it's only 4th day? Keep cutting Mirtazapine, while keeping benzos? I will second guess myself anyway. I will feel awful anyway. The truth is I am feeling worse since starting Lexapro. People around me encourage me to fight it through with the Lexapro. Any advice, please?

• 2 weeks later...

I stuck with Lexapro 5mg. For days I was ready to climb the walls. HUGE agitation and activation. After a a week or so I am better. Moved to 7.5 Lexapro, first day today, not so bad. Still on clonazepam 0.75 x 2 ( maybe additional 0.5 in the afternoon if bad). Mirtazapine at 22.5. Still taking Ambien CR 12.5.

Can the collective wisdom  advise me on the way out of this? I know I have to be stable before tapering. But as of now I am dosing up!  My doc is allowing me clonazepam until Lexapro is kicking in. Should I suffer tremendously and try and stay at 1.5 clonazepam? Still have anxiety, worse early afternoon.  What stabilization means? Symptoms you can deal with?

• 3 months later...

I received this in a PM and advised @Mario77 I would be happy to try and answer him on his page so we can keep all the information together.

Don't even know where to start: I hope everything is in my signature. Not sure how to update that. Trying to lower mirtazapine (at 18.75 right now), my doc put me on Lexapro (I am at 12.5mg now) with the help of clonazepam ( 0.75 x 2 or 3 times). I am on 3 psychotropic, addictive druds and I cannot say that I am stable. What now? I am DESPERATE.

First, go to this link and update your signature:

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/settings/signature/

I think I got your medication figured out:

Risperidone done in August

from August to now you have tapered Mirtazipire from 26.25 to 18.75 mg, which is not quite 10% a month. That's a "normal taper".

In August you were on 5 mg Lexapro and that has been increased to 12.5 mg now. That's quite an increase.

In September 3 mg Ativan was switched to 1.5 mg Clonazepam which is the correct equivalency.

I think you have just been pulled in all different directions in the past few months. My suggestion would be to hold on every dosage until you stabilize on everything. Don't make any changes to anything. Don't take extra Clonazepam. Take .5 mg three (3) times a day and space it out every 6 hours or so. Don't take any of the medication at the same time as any other. Space them out an hour or so apart from each other. Lexapro can also be stimulating.

Anxiety is the pits.  You might try magnesium and omega. Just take a small amount of each and only take one at a time for a few days to see how you react.

That helps some members on here.

http://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

Self care is the best. Take walks, read, something to distract yourself from this. Turn off the computer and tv an hour or so before bed. That can be stimulating.

You could try a small amount of melatonin an hour or so before bed. 

http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/189-melatonin-for-sleep/

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks a lot; I really appreciate it.

My Doc wants me at 20 Lexapro, but before that , to lower mirtazapine the classical way: 15 a week, 7.5 a week and 3.75 (or zero). I told her no way.

I was taking Lexapro, clonazepam, propranolol and amlodipine at same time. And in the evening mirtazapine and clonazepam at the same time. What would be the reason to space them, so they don't interact? Is food important when dosing? Should I try clonazepam earlier and mirtazapine at bed time? In the morning, no clonazepam and Lexapro at the same time?

Not sure if I can make it with ONLY 0.5 clonazepam x 3. I am afraid I'll mess up my sleep. Some days I am so agitated I take extra 0.75 around lunch, beside the morning and bedtime 0.75.

So, bottom line, your advice is do NOTHING for now. I was using a nail file to decrease my mirtazapine. I might be at 18 mg or 17 now. Better go to 18 liquid (if possible)? I do take Mg and fish oil, B complex and silexan. I would try melatonin, but again, I am very protective of my sleep. That's all I have in life right now. After taking 0.75 clonazepam with my mirtazapine I sleep 7 hrs, I would say, 11 to 6. But from 6 I start ruminating until 7 when I have to get up.

I hope you know how much your words mean, coming from someone who went thorough this. God bless.

I'm glad you were able to speak up with your Dr and tell him you can't do a fast taper like that on the Mirtazipine. 

It's just better to take medication separate from each other so there aren't any reactions.

I was just trying to get your Clonazepam into your system regularly so it would be in your bloodstream consistently. If you feel you can't do that then take it twice a day, spreading it 12 hours apart.

Liquid Mirtazipine would be the best way to go it's so much more accurate than using a nail file. Otherwise you could purchase a scale so you can weigh it to get it accurate. If you can get liquid Lexapro that would be great too. Why does your Dr want you on 20 mg Lexapro? 

Vitamin B can be very stimulating, so I would be careful taking it. 

If you have any questions please tag me with the @ sign then type frogie until you see me in the list. Click on it and it will show up in blue. Otherwise I don't always see every post from every member.

I'm glad I could help you.

Thanks a lot. Not sure how to do this: "tag me with the @ sign then type frogie until you see me in the list. Click on it and it will show up in blue"

My Dr. said anxiety needs 20 Lexapro or more. I can take clonazepam thrice a day, but I am not sure 0.5 will suffice.

Again, for now NO changes up or down on anything, correct? I will skip B complex vitamins. Happy Holidays and please keep in touch.

I think the anxiety can be controlled with the Clonazepam. I meant to take .5 mg 3 times a day, not just once a day. Maybe I didn't explain myself.

20 mg of Lexapro is the highest you should ever go on if you must be on it. Hopefully you can hold at 12.5 mg.

Right now I am taking 0.75 clonazepam three times a day and still anxious.

You think I should not make any move right now, on any medication? Stay here, even if anxious? And take 0.75 Clonazepam three times a day?

@Mario77

As I promised, I know I'm a little late, but here is the PM you sent me and I'm going to try to answer you the best I can:

I got the liquid mirtazapine. Should I hold everything where it is, except maybe switching to liquid mirt? Since anyway the Doc won't prescribe me pills now...?

The first thing you need to do is get your body used to the liquid. This is how we suggest you do this:

1/4 liquid and 3/4 tablet for a week

1/2 liquid and 1/2 tablet for a week

3/4 liquid and 1/4 tablet for a week

Then switch to full liquid. You need to hold for 4-6 weeks without making any changes so your body will stabilize on the liquid. You want to stay on the same dosage you are on now. Don't switch to liquid and drop your dosage all at once.

Then we can set up a taper for you.

@Mario77

How many tablets do you have left? Maybe we can make this work.

Please do your best to transition over to the liquid. Your body just reacts differently to the liquid because it is in your system faster.

Please keep me informed on how you are doing.

Happy Holidays to you too!

Edited by Frogie

@FrogieI have left 21 pills of 15mg, 4 pills of 7.5.

I was thinking to take in beginning half of each kind of pill (7.5 +3.75), that's 11.25mg. And add 0.5 ml of liquid (7.5mg) for my total of 18.75.

In 8 days I will be out of smaller pills (I am sure the Doc and the insurance won't write me more, now after I got the liquid...). Then I will have either to quarter the remaining 15mg and continue, or take a half of the big pill (7.5mg)and 0.8ml liquid (12mg). That would be updosing a bit.

But I can discard some droplets, since 1ml=15mg=30 droplets

Not sure I can draw 0.7 ml (10mg) (that would be tapering-with a total of 17.5mg), or even 0.75ml with that huge syringe of 5ml they gave me. I ordered some 1 ml syringes from Amazon, that might help. What are your thoughts?

1 hour ago, Mario77 said:

I was thinking to take in beginning half of each kind of pill (7.5 +3.75), that's 11.25mg. And add 0.5 ml of liquid (7.5mg) for my total of 18.75.

I think that will work out great.

Then, go ahead a quarter the rest of them and just discard some of the droplets for another week.

I think that will get you so your body is used to it and you should be ok by then.

Keep me posted on how you are doing please.

@FrogieI know is Christmas Day, but you are my only help right now.

I did my thing last night. I slept OK (woke up at 4AM, that never happened to me before, but I was able to fall back asleep), and even slept a bit longer, by 30-45 minutes. My main issue is morning anxiety that is through the roof. I took my 0.75 Clonazepam at 7 and my Lexapro 12.5 at 9 but I am very agitated. Usually after my midday Clonazepam 0.75 things are getting a bit better, and as the evening progresses my agitation lessens.

Any suggestion on how to play with the dosing? Or stay here? 

Obviously after waking up I stay in bed ruminating for hours...I know that is not good. I have zero energy and I am terrorized of returning to work on Monday.

@Mario77

The liquid mirtazapine could be causing some anxiety for you. It enters your bloodstream really quickly, where the tablets take longer because they have to dissolve in your system.

You might try spacing out your clonazepam, maybe cutting the dose in 1/2 and taking it more often until your body gets used to the liquid.

Have you tried magnesium? Sometimes that helps with anxiety also. You could try a small amount and see how you do. I'll give you a link about it.

Melatonin

Here is a topic on anxiety that might help.

Fear, terror, panic, and anxiety

I wish I was more help, but your body just has to get used to the liquid. Once it does, it is so much easier to take and taper. I did it with Lexapro and had the same issue. It does get better.

Thanks again. Not sure how I would manage these Holidays without you. When I try to nap I have short terror episodes. Should I bump my Lexapro to 15?  Stay here for weeks? I'll spread my Clon over the day. Is that better that 0.75 x 2?

@Frogie, need your help and reassurance. Yesterday (Monday), had a good day. Stable afternoon and evening. My sleep is getting a bit fragmented; I fall asleep, but I wake up earlier. I assume I am tossing and turning for the rest of the morning; and my rumination is getting mixed with dreams and sleep, I assume. That might be because I am not sure about my liquid mirt last evening; I took the 0.5 ml (7.5mg) beside  the pills, but I did not feel it in my mouth as usual; wonder if my syringe got clogged or something...Today I am a bit agitated, stressed at work, anxious. Took my clon an hour ago and lex now. There is nothing I can do, except wait, right? And pay attention to my syringe...Any words would mean a lot to me right now. Thanks a lot.

@Mario77

I've never had a syringe clog, but that means nothing. Is it a dark color so you can't see it?

I always got my dosing syringes free at the pharmacy. I just asked them for a couple of pediatric dosing syringes and they gave me 1 ml ones. I got a couple from the veterinary office too. Just make sure they are clear in color.

Unfortunately, all you can do is wait it out and hope you got some of the dose. Hopefully the Clonazepam will take affect very soon and will help with the anxiety.

I'm really sorry this happened.