itscodyman: Zoloft and temazepam - muscle rigidity

itscodyman

hey everyone,

I came across this site last week after looking into Reddit for withdrawal/tapering information. Wanted to make an intro post to interact with you all about what I’m going through. So here’s a run down of my history with antidepressants.

Zoloft 100mg in 2016 I believe. 2 month taper in February/March 2020. By mid September/October 2020, experiencing severe withdrawals (after moving across the country for a promotion in July 2020). Withdrawals including emotional rollercoaster, depression, anxiety, paranoia, extreme muscle rigidity. At this point, with having been off Zoloft for so long, I really didn’t think the symptoms could be from any withdrawal. I thought they were all from such a huge life change, being pretty isolated from the state of our society with masks, shutdowns, etc.

So, Went to the doctor in October 2020, where I got back onto Zoloft at 50mg. We also took some blood work, finding my free testosterone to be at 92, so I went on TRT as well. From there, the muscle rigidity came and went, but mostly was present. There were times where I returned to Ohio for the holidays and my symptoms reduced, further instilling my belief that the symptoms were from isolation and being “homesick”.

April 2021, I left the job that took me a cross the country. Then May 2021, I tapered off Zoloft at a more accelerated rate, being off within about a month. I was going into a complete career change, one that I thought would be the saving Grace to all the symptoms I had experienced at this point. Thinking my career had been a huge contributing stressor. In hindsight, as I’ve learned more about antidepressant withdrawals, I realized this logic was a little flawed.

By July 2021, I was experiencing severe insomnia. I got back on Zoloft at 75mg. Also tried Xanax and Klonopin for the insomnia. Neither really worked, so we ended up on Temazepam. Gradually increased to 30mg, the highest dose. 
Was on 75mg Zoloft and 30mg Temazepam until May 2022. Mistakenly decided to cold turkey Zoloft, thinking I was experiencing serotonin syndrome. I began my Temazepam taper at the beginning of May 2022, reducing by about 10% every couple of weeks.

I’ve been off Temazepam for 1 week as of today. And I’ve been back on 50mg of Zoloft since mid June 2022. 

The insomnia is not present, but sleep still disrupted throughout the night. Muscle rigidity is pretty fierce. Anxiety is present and depression. Some days worse than others. Brain fog, inability to focus (difficult to read), lack of joy, muscle stiffness all over, negative thinking/rumination, among other symptoms I may not be thinking of.

As you’ve seen, I foolishly tapered too quickly in the last and tried cold turkeying. I’m just getting familiar with a lot of the terminology… and I’m wondering if I’ve possibly kindled my nervous system from going off/on Zoloft so many times. I’ve been holding at 50mg until the muscle rigidity symptoms dissipate. Last week, I left the job I was working at in NC and returned to my parents house in Ohio for a while so I could rest up while stopping Temazepam. I thought for a long time the muscle rigidity was coming from the Temazepam usage, lack of quality sleep and I would take it before bed so was thinking by mid or late the next day, I was experiencing withdrawals from Temazepam. At this point in my research, I’m starting to believe it’s more from the Zoloft. I’ve been bounced so much by doctors, that I was hoping to come here for a little insight. 

this is really hard for me because I was on top of the world when I first got off Zoloft in spring of 2020. I was getting a promotion to move across the country. Then got there, thought the side effects I was experiencing were a result of stress from the move, when now I’m thinking it was more from Zoloft, with it having been about 6 months since stopping it completely. And leaving that job in 2021, thinking it was a cause of much of what I was experiencing, before bouncing around from job to job, and taking huge financial setbacks has really taken a toll on my confidence and mental state. I know I’m not functioning at my full cognitive capacity that I’m used to from the past, and with it going on 2 years now, I’m so desperate for a change.

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

-Late 2015 - Adderall start, 30mg XR
-Summer 2016 - Zoloft 100mg start for GAD

-2014 to 2017 - on/off xanax recreationally

-2018 - tapered from Adderall 

-Feb 2020 to Apr 2020 - Zoloft taper

-Oct 2020 - 1st severe WD symptoms, 75mg Zoloft reinstated + 200mg/mL of TRT, weekly

-May 2021 to June 2021 - Zoloft taper. August 2021 - Zoloft reinstated at 50mg. WD symptoms only worsened from here.

-Aug 2021 - Xanax 2 weeks, followed by Klonopin 2 weeks, before settling with Temazepam 30mg for insomnia

-Mid April 2022 to July 2022 - Temazepam Taper mostly using Ashton method

-April 15, 2023 - began Zoloft taper from 50mg using Ashton method. October 16, 2023 finished taper. WD symptoms persist

Forgot to add… I’m kind of curious about going back up to 75mg or even the 100mg that I’ve had success on before for several years. But after reading some reinstating info on here, I’m not sure that’s the best method and maybe I should hold at 50mg? 

I quit drinking alcohol and caffeine in June 2021. I eat Whole Foods and stay away from sugar as much as possible. I’m pretty committed to doing as many health conscious things as possible to get past this. It’s just been hard to keep hope with how long these symptoms have persisted.

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

-Oct 2020 - 1st severe WD symptoms, 75mg Zoloft reinstated + 200mg/mL of TRT, weekly

-May 2021 to June 2021 - Zoloft taper. August 2021 - Zoloft reinstated at 50mg. WD symptoms only worsened from here.

-Aug 2021 - Xanax 2 weeks, followed by Klonopin 2 weeks, before settling with Temazepam 30mg for insomnia

-April 15, 2023 - began Zoloft taper from 50mg using Ashton method. October 16, 2023 finished taper. WD symptoms persist

• ChessieCat changed the title to itscodyman: intro - Zoloft and Temazepam - muscle rigidity
  • Administrator

Welcome, @itscodyman

When were your last doses of Zoloft and temazepam? To help us out, follow these instructions Please summarize your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thank you @Altostrata. Signature is complete. Let me know if I should edit to add timeline of withdrawal symptoms or if it looks ok. I left out withdrawal dates based on the instructions and due to length of current signature.

One of my main questions/thoughts is regarding my current dose of Zoloft. Curious about others' experience, based off my current history. Wondering if 50mg of Zoloft is either too much or not enough at the moment? It seems like its possible its too much, that maybe my CNS has become sensitized from all the starting and stopping. I've been holding at 50mg for about 1.5 months, waiting for side effects to diminish. Mainly my muscle rigidity, but also: difficulty concentrating, difficulty learning new tasks, shortness of breath (believe from tight diaphragm, related to muscle tightness), and heightened anxiety/stress from normal situations has been the same and present for close to a year.

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

@Altostrataalso curious about non-drug coping mechanisms. Over the last couple years I've added in mindful activities like meditation, breath-work, yoga and other mindful movement practices, went to a counselor weekly for 6 months in 2021 thinking that my symptoms were related to unresolved childhood PTSD. I'm planning a move back to Ohio, closer to friends and family which is calming for my nervous system. I eat whole foods, avoid cane sugar, got a dog in Sept 2021, have put a lot of energy into deepening meaningful relationships. I really enjoying strength training, but have essentially shelved much strength training as it plays into the muscle rigidity I'm experiencing. I notice my CNS can fluctuate just throughout the day even. Or after meals - no real particular foods noted as triggering yet. I've considered seeing a functional medicine doctor, but don't want it to be a waste of money. I also tried ketamine therapy, went to 5 sessions in late June-early July 2022. I'm pretty new to the site still, so maybe there's some good posts out there you could point me to if its easier/less time consuming for you? I appreciate your feedback!

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

• Administrator
On 7/23/2022 at 9:20 AM, itscodyman said:

I began my Temazepam taper at the beginning of May 2022, reducing by about 10% every couple of weeks.

I’ve been off Temazepam for 1 week as of today. And I’ve been back on 50mg of Zoloft since mid June 2022. 

The insomnia is not present, but sleep still disrupted throughout the night. Muscle rigidity is pretty fierce. Anxiety is present and depression. Some days worse than others. Brain fog, inability to focus (difficult to read), lack of joy, muscle stiffness all over, negative thinking/rumination, among other symptoms I may not be thinking of.

When did the muscle rigidity start?

What times o'clock do you take your drugs? How do you feel before and after taking Zoloft?

Given its half-life, it take about 48 days for testosterone to completely leave your system.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Muscle tension began in October 2020 - about 2 months after moving across the country. This led me to get back on Zoloft at 50mg and while at the doc they also found my testosterone to be alarmingly low. At this point I did not think the tension could be medicine related. I thought it was simply from low testosterone due to all the stress with moving and the new job. The tension came and went as I removed myself from the stressful situation (when I’d return home for holidays or friends would visit, tension and anxiety would dissipate).

Fast forward to June 2021 after finishing the taper from 50mg Zoloft to nothing, is when the tension turned into this rigidity that hasn’t gone away since. I experienced severe insomnia, after putting myself in another stressful situation - left my job that I thought was causing the stress and muscle tension, and moved to another new area to begin a new career. The temazepam was what eliminated the insomnia at this point. Basically since then I’ve had the rigidity.

I take the Zoloft upon waking. Usually between 6-9am. I don’t really notice much of a difference after taking it. I’ve tried paying close attention to this in the past weeks to see if anything is heightened and it isn’t. My rigidity would worsen throughout the day when working (I worked a physically demanding job until July 15, 2022. I left the job to rest while discontinuing Temazepam). However, I would also wake with the rigidity. It was also there. So for a while I thought the rigidity was being worsened or maybe even triggered from daily Temazepam withdrawal if that’s possible? I used to take my Temazepam before bed, around 9-10pm. 

now I’m 2 weeks off Temazepam. Focus hasn’t improved much. Anxiety fluctuates. Rigidity is the same. Memory might have improved some.

About 4 weeks after discontinuing testosterone (mid June), my free level was 297.

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

• Administrator

You went on and off Zoloft several times from 2016-2022. What about Zoloft did you like?

You had a spell of Zoloft in February 2020-April 2020. How did you feel after you went off it (fairly quickly), from mid-April 2020 to October 2020?

24 minutes ago, itscodyman said:

now I’m 2 weeks off Temazepam. Focus hasn’t improved much. Anxiety fluctuates. Rigidity is the same. Memory might have improved some.

Why did you go off temazepam? You quit from 30mg?

Please read up on the adverse effects of testosterone injections and consider whether they have contributed to your symptom pattern. Knowing about your drugs is your job as a pharmaceutical consumer.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Altostrata sorry for the delayed response. I've gone full speed ahead on a job hunt and everything takes more energy right now than normal so I haven't been back on here in a bit.

When I first got on Zoloft it made me happier. I could laugh more. However it was really only short lived and in hindsight the depression kicked back in. From about 2016-2019 I was pretty unhealthy. Drinking on the weekends, processed foods, not the best quality of relationships. And I hadn't faced the underlying reasons behind my depression and anxiety. Beginning in 2018 I began working out regularly and learning more about a healthy lifestyle. Which ultimately led to the initial taper off of Zoloft in 2020. I was facing my fears, quit drinking, getting out of my comfort zone (social anxiety being a big trigger in the past).

I thought I felt fine from April 2020 until August 2020, but also in hindsight there were definitely symptoms of "withdrawal". I began to experience bouts of the muscle tension when not fully focused on my breath. I noticed a little bit of irritability during the taper, but nothing manageable. Playing video games brought about the muscle tension so I quit playing them. This may sound weird, but I even noticed more sensitivity towards the television/movies I'd watch. If something was intense, I could feel those emotions through the screen. At the time, I thought I was just experiencing improved awareness from no drugs altering my brain. During that time I had also received news I was getting a promotion to move across the country so I was riding a high. I began putting myself into new uncomfortable social situations slowly over those few months, whereas beforehand I pretty much stayed in my bubble of 5-6 friends and masked my social anxiety with alcohol. Then bam, I move across the country mid covid, taken completely out of my comfort zone and the "withdrawal" effects really kicked in. Paranoia, chronic muscle tension, unable to handle normal stressors, negative thoughts. A number of other factors played into this as well including having just gone through a break up from a 3 year relationship. So then, as you know, I got back on Zoloft in Oct 2020.

Correct it was 30mg of Temazepam at the beginning of my taper. I got off Temazepam because my concentration and overall cognitive function noticeably declined after being on it for several months at the end of 2021. I just had several "big life changes" - career changes, within that timeframe so I didn't take the time to taper until April 2022. I tapered at a 10% reduction over those 3 months. Maybe more accelerated than what many would recommend on here, but holding for any period of time never really led to a decrease in symptoms. Ultimately I quit because the only reason I got on it was to take care of insomnia in July-August of 2021, which was likely caused by my 2nd accelerated taper from Zoloft in May-June 2021. I was really misguided/misinformed before joining this site, so my approach to stopping Zoloft clearly wasn't the best.

I've considered testosterone as a possibility and looked into that as well, but do not believe it is the cause. These symptoms were present before ever taking testosterone, during my time on testosterone, and after stopping. Plus considering my levels are still within an acceptable range more than a month after stopping testosterone, I don't believe its a cause. The only reason I really brought up testosterone was for listing it as a "supplement" I was on. I think the only reason I needed testosterone to begin with was due to the stress my body and brain were under from the move to North Carolina in July 2020 combined with the accelerated taper from Zoloft several months prior. I've removed the stressor of being away from my family and friends in Ohio by coming back to Ohio 3 weeks ago and actively looking for a job here so I can be around my support system/community while I embark on this antidepressant drug journey.

So I guess now I'm thinking my symptoms are a result of the Temazepam taper and my brain stabilizing after going cold turkey from 75mg Zoloft at the beginning of May 2022. Would it make sense that I'd still be experiencing symptoms of stabilization after being back on Zoloft at 50mg since the beginning of June 2022? Or should things be stabilized by now? I've read that the Temazepam withdrawal symptoms can be about 3 weeks or several months, so that's why I've considered that as well. But I also want to be sure what I've done with Zoloft isn't causing adverse effects now, like being on too high of a dose or anything after reinstating. Based on symptoms and recent Zoloft history, do you think its possible that 50mg is too high? My approach right now has been to stay at 50mg of Zoloft until I begin to feel normal - hoping its just Temazepam withdrawal symptoms. And holding off on anymore changes with Zoloft until I feel stabilized/normal.

Sorry for the long response. I planned to keep it short but then was trying to get as much detail as possible in case you have any insight. I appreciate your time and feedback as always! Hope your week is going well.

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

• Administrator

How has your symptom pattern changed in the last 2 weeks? What is your current symptom pattern? What times o'clock do you take your drugs, with their dosages? How do you feel before and after taking Zoloft? How's your sleep?

@AltostrataMy symptoms are essentially the same in the last 2 weeks as prior. I wake up with muscle tension/rigidity, it stays all day, and worsens with cardio or strength training. My focus has improved some, but still notice anything that takes a mental effort leaves me exhausted afterwards. For example, an 8hr work day would leave me with zero motivation or energy the rest of the day. And probably really set off the muscle tension. My memory and word recall is slightly improving. Maybe 10% per week. I wake up most days feeling depressed. My anxiety is there because my mind and body feel fried in a way. The depression lifts as I begin my day. Everything else is constant during the day. I’m sure there’s other symptoms I may not be thinking of.

I take the Zoloft at 50mg (only drug I’m still currently taking) around 8am upon waking. I don’t notice a change before or after. Unless maybe taking the Zoloft helps lift the depression as I’m beginning my day. I’m not noticing anything else changing immediately upon taking the drug. I do know if I don’t take it, like when I tried cold turkey, my memory and cognitive abilities would definitely drop off within a couple days. I’d probably begin to get brain zaps the first day without taking it. And I’d be on an emotional rollercoaster with sadness and depression.

My sleep is ok. I wake up 2-3 times during the night but am able to fall back asleep quickly. I’m able to fall asleep initially within 20 minutes or so. And I wake up without an alarm around 7:30am each day. I’m not sure I feel completely rested each morning, but I think that’s because of all the symptoms that are present immediately upon waking. That in itself is very exhausting

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

@Altostratathe last time I really felt “normal” was when I was on 100mg of Zoloft back in 2020. And for a few months after I tapered off of it by end of April 2020. It’s like I hit a brick wall with the move across the country and around the ~5 month mark. So I’ve wondered if I should try going all the way back to 100mg or if that would create more issues due to increased sensitivity from withdrawal

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

• ChessieCat changed the title to itscodyman: Zoloft and temazepam - muscle rigidity
  • Administrator

Are there any times of day that you feel better?

On 7/23/2022 at 10:12 AM, itscodyman said:

I quit drinking alcohol and caffeine in June 2021.

Apparently, you were drinking alcohol at the same time you went off Zoloft and while you had withdrawal until June 2021. This can cause further upset, beyond withdrawal syndrome.

I don't know what increasing the Zoloft dosage would do. 

@Altostrataits pretty much constant all day long. I definitely feel better if I’m just laying around basically meditating. Otherwise it’s chronic from the moment I wake up, until I lay my head on the pillow at night.

in 2021 I had alcohol maybe twice before cutting it out 100%. I had maybe 5 beers total in the span of 5-6 months at the beginning of 2021. 2 of those beers were during my taper in May-June 2021. I cut out caffeine at that time as well. 

If you think going up in Zoloft dosage wouldn’t do much, do you think it’s possible I’m on too high of a dose now from all the starting/stopping?

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

• Administrator

What does the muscle rigidity feel like?

How did your symptom pattern change after you went off temazepam?

@Altostrataits like the muscles are turned on at all times. It leads to shallower breaths, like my body is stuck in fight or flight so my exhales are shortened and my body wants to get right back into inhaling. My face, head (back/top), neck, upper traps, chest, lower back, groin muscles all feel like they're turned on at all times. They'll lose some of their grip as I exhale, never fully disengaging, but then tense back to 100% after exhaling. My jaw hurts. The muscle tensions hurts as well. The muscles are knotted up or anything, its just like they're engaged. You can see the skin on my entire head, ears and everything, and chest move when I exhale. And if I do physical activity like lift weights, they shake or quiver. 

My symptoms haven't really changed since stopping temazepam. Maybe slight more irritability/agitation. Maybe slight more anxiety. Memory may have actually improved some. Overall, I can't say I've noticed anything change too significantly. But I also stepped away from my job and came back to Ohio from NC to stay at my parents at the same time I finished my taper so I've been able to rest. For example, when I wake up at night and I'm able to fall back asleep, if I knew I had to get up for work or a responsibility (not working on my own schedule/no alarm, using my circadian alarm clock like I am right now during the new job hunt) then I'd probably have a really hard time falling back asleep still from rumination or just knowing an alarm would be going off in a few hours. So technically my sleep has improved. However, if I were working like normal, I'm not sure how it'd be.

My concentration and energy levels have not changed since stopping temazepam. If I were working a job, I'd probably be coming home every evening and just laying around to make sure my mind & body calmed down enough for sleep later. Going through life like a zombie.

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

@Altostratareflecting on your symptom question some more in regards to since I quit Temazepam…I think it has led to more paranoia and anxiety. Just worried about things unrealistically or that don’t really matter. It’s led me to be more inclined to stay to myself and not leave my house. And it’s led to some of the brain fog I mentioned. 

I read your older post about benzo withdrawal and I wonder if it has to do with the glutamate and GABA leveling back out

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

• Administrator
On 8/9/2022 at 9:27 AM, itscodyman said:

I thought I felt fine from April 2020 until August 2020, but also in hindsight there were definitely symptoms of "withdrawal". I began to experience bouts of the muscle tension when not fully focused on my breath.

By mid September/October 2020, experiencing severe withdrawals (after moving across the country for a promotion in July 2020). Withdrawals including emotional rollercoaster, depression, anxiety, paranoia, extreme muscle rigidity.

In October 2020, you went back on Zoloft and simultaneously started getting a weekly injection of testosterone. 

From there, the muscle rigidity came and went, but mostly was present.

Did the muscle rigidity fluctuate weekly, being less right after you got a shot?

Benzodiazepines are muscle relaxants. I see you were taking temazepam from August 2021 to early March 2022, before you started tapering it, as well as 75mg Zoloft and the weekly testosterone shot. What was the state of your muscle tension then?

If reinstatement of 50mg Zoloft hasn't made a dent in the muscle tension, my guess is your problem is something else.

• 1 year later...

Has anyone experienced withdrawal symptoms months after ceasing antidepressant use after being okay initially? I thought I remembered reading that was a thing a while back, delayed withdrawal.

been reflecting on when my journey become most challenging. I tapered from 100mg Zoloft and was off completely in April 2020. I had some minor withdrawal symptoms thinking back on it, like muscle tension. I’d have to rest at certain points of the day to help ease the tension. At the time I thought that was just normal and I was meditating. But overall I was feeling great. More confident than ever, felt like my dialogue came easier with access to a broader vocabulary/memory and felt happy.

fast forward to October 2020 and I was in full fledge withdrawal, something I didn’t realize at the time. I had just moved 600 miles away from everyone I knew in late July 2020. Being put in that position exposed me to much of what brought me anxiety in the first place, and led me to getting on Zoloft in the first place. Now I was realizing that exercise exacerbated the symptoms I was experiencing. As well as coffee, alcohol, sugar and all of that stuff. I was more emotional than ever and felt so alone and could not think straight.

so things happened, I got back on Zoloft and probably kindled my nervous system. Eventually ended up on Temazepam for insomnia after another failed attempt of a Zoloft taper. The symptoms only worsened from here.

So here I am, 3 years later experiencing withdrawal still. Been off Temazepam for 16 months. Finally tapered from Zoloft the right way using Ashton method and I’ve been free of that for about 1.5 months. But it makes me wonder…could what happened in July-October 2020 leading me to those first severe “WD symptoms” really be withdrawal after feeling okay for like 6 months with what I now know we’re probably really mild WD symptoms. Or is it just me and my anxiety and my triggers for anxiety and depression and the nurturing issues from my parents growing up that all need resolved? It’s very difficult to feel like I’m ever going to get out of this rut while I’m not able to engage in my normal hobbies and feel disconnected from everyone. Like I’m here, but just going through the motions, never able to feel at peace.

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

47 minutes ago, itscodyman said:

Has anyone experienced withdrawal symptoms months after ceasing antidepressant use after being okay initially?

Yes, it is common for withdrawal symptoms to take weeks, to months, to surface after stopping a medication.

48 minutes ago, itscodyman said:

It’s very difficult to feel like I’m ever going to get out of this rut while I’m not able to engage in my normal hobbies and feel disconnected from everyone. Like I’m here, but just going through the motions, never able to feel at peace.

While I understand that it might be difficult to believe at the moment, you will recover but we cannot guess as to the timing. Try and be gentle with yourself and avoid stressors such as alcohol, marijuana, and intense exercise.

Pre- October 2022: Wellbutrin, Escitalopram, CitalopramSertraline, Adderall IR, Vyvanse, Propranolol, Buspar, Ativan, and Latuda

Oct 13, 2022 - Oct 24, 2022 and Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Zyprexa (2.5 mg). Jan 14, 2023 -> Began transition to liquid suspension. Jan 29, 2023 = 2.375mg -> Feb 12, 2023 = 2.25mg -> Feb 27, 2023 = 2.14mg -> Mar 12, 2023 = 2.025mg -> Mar 27, 2023 = 1.93mg -> Apr 10, 2023 = 1.82mg -> Apr 23, 2023 = 1.74mg -> May 7, 2023 = 1.64mg -> May 21, 2023 = 1.56mg -> June 4, 2023 = 1.48mg -> June 19, 2023 = 1.4mg -> July 2, 2023 = 1.33mg -> July 16, 2023 = 1.26mg -> July 31, 2023 = 1.2mg -> Aug 13, 2023 = 1.14mg -> Aug 27, 2023 = 1.08mg -> Sep 13, 2023 = 1.02mg -> Jan 22, 2024 = 0.97mg -> Feb 4, 2024 = 0.92mg -> Feb 19, 2024 = 0.87mg -> Mar 3, 2024 = 0.83mg -> Mar 17, 2024 = 0.78mg -> Mar 31, 2024 = 0.74mg -> Apr 14, 2023 = 0.7mg

Oct 14, 2022 - Present: Prozac (40mg) upped from 20mg on Nov 1, 2022.

Oct 31, 2022 - Present: Gabapentin (300mg 3x day) -> May 3, 2023 = 300mg 2x day -> Oct 1, 2023 = 570mg -> Oct 15, 2023 = 540mg -> Oct 29, 2023 = 510mg -> Nov 13, 2023 = 484mg -> Nov 27, 2023 = 460mg -> Dec 9, 2023 = 436mg -> Dec 24, 2023 = 414mg -> Jan 7, 2024 = 400mg

49 minutes ago, FireflyFyte said:

Yes, it is common for withdrawal symptoms to take weeks, to months, to surface after stopping a medication.

While I understand that it might be difficult to believe at the moment, you will recover but we cannot guess as to the timing. Try and be gentle with yourself and avoid stressors such as alcohol, marijuana, and intense exercise.

I should’ve clarified in the original post… ***the first withdrawal symptoms not happening until months after tapering off***? I was fine other than some mild muscle tension until about the 5-6 month mark

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

• Administrator
1 hour ago, itscodyman said:

I tapered from 100mg Zoloft and was off completely in April 2020. I had some minor withdrawal symptoms thinking back on it, like muscle tension. I’d have to rest at certain points of the day to help ease the tension.

You did have withdrawal symptoms starting shortly after quitting Zoloft but disregarded them. Other events, such as changing other drugs, drinking alcohol or caffeine, overdoing exercise, etc. probably occurred over the next 6 months to exacerbate mild withdrawal. This is quite common -- most of the time, "delayed withdrawal" does not exactly come out of the blue.

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

You did have withdrawal symptoms starting shortly after quitting Zoloft but disregarded them. Other events, such as changing other drugs, drinking alcohol or caffeine, overdoing exercise, etc. probably occurred over the next 6 months to exacerbate mild withdrawal. This is quite common -- most of the time, "delayed withdrawal" does not exactly come out of the blue.

makes sense, thank you for the response. If only I knew then, what I know now about exercise, alcohol and caffeine, I could have probably avoided ever introducing temazepam into my life. I do feel like being hypersensitive and the move 600 miles away was finally the straw that broke the camel's back though where I was then stuck in the more intense withdrawal.

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, Doctorsrcrap said:

I'm assuming new symptoms can turn up later?

On 11/29/2023 at 1:36 PM, itscodyman said:

I should’ve clarified in the original post… ***the first withdrawal symptoms not happening until months after tapering off***? I was fine other than some mild muscle tension until about the 5-6 month mark

How are you doing now @itscodyman

Sertaline- tried 50 mg beginning of June 2023. Caused hyperreflexia.  So stopped after one dose. Tried several smaller doses that month.  Had burning and twitching so just stopped. 

Lexapro

June of 2023' 2.5 mg for two weeks 

July of 2023 5 mg for two weeks

July of 2023 7.5 mg for 2 weeks

August to mid September 10 mg

Mid September reduced to 7.5

October to October 15 reduced to 5

October 15 to October 30 reduced to 2.5 

October 30-off

21 hours ago, Farm24 said:

How are you doing now @itscodyman

@Farm24 It’s hit and miss. While writing this response I’m in what I’d consider a wave. Im on my first vacation since 2022 and the time It took to travel, I think I over exerted myself. This is my 3rd day on vaca after travel, and the muscle tension the last couple days has been intense and could only sleep by taking zquil, still waking up halfway through the night. I remember reading on here that too much sunlight can trigger symptoms for people, and I got a bad sunburn 2 days ago that hasn’t seemed to help. Can’t exercise intensely yet without revving up my nervous system too much, and I have muscle tension daily. My job is stressful tho, so maybe that’s delaying everything. I’m considering getting some blood work done to just rule that out. Going to a therapist weekly helps. Insomnia and muscle rigidity are my main 2 remaining symptoms, but I still get intrusive thoughts,  anxious, brain fog, trouble with memory/word or name recall, and paranoia as well. How are you doing??

-2014 to 2015 - Lexapro

I identify with what you described in your story. It's very similar to my experience. It's crazy how life changing and powerful these drugs can be. And how stupid and neglectful doctors prescribing them are. Also, our Zoloft timelines are somewhow similar.

Mid Feb 2017 - Mid March 2017 0.25mg Sertraline

March 2017 - last months of 2019 0.50mg Sertraline

Last months of 2019 - tappering, cold turkey and reinstating multiple times, decided to not take it any longer (suffering unknown withdrawal)

April 2020 - end August 2020 - 0.50mg again, stopped cold turkey

Jan/Feb 2021 (Can't remember exactly) - 0.25mg or 0.50mg Sertraline for 1-3 weeks max

0.00mg since August 2020

On 3/9/2024 at 10:15 AM, itscodyman said:

@Farm24 It’s hit and miss. While writing this response I’m in what I’d consider a wave. Im on my first vacation since 2022 and the time It took to travel, I think I over exerted myself. This is my 3rd day on vaca after travel, and the muscle tension the last couple days has been intense and could only sleep by taking zquil, still waking up halfway through the night. I remember reading on here that too much sunlight can trigger symptoms for people, and I got a bad sunburn 2 days ago that hasn’t seemed to help. Can’t exercise intensely yet without revving up my nervous system too much, and I have muscle tension daily. My job is stressful tho, so maybe that’s delaying everything. I’m considering getting some blood work done to just rule that out. Going to a therapist weekly helps. Insomnia and muscle rigidity are my main 2 remaining symptoms, but I still get intrusive thoughts,  anxious, brain fog, trouble with memory/word or name recall, and paranoia as well. How are you doing??

Those are really my two remaining symptoms and they are killing me. If the muscle tension were gone I could sleep easily.  I stretched and stretched today, and was left with a burning pain.  

Sertaline- tried 50 mg beginning of June 2023. Caused hyperreflexia.  So stopped after one dose. Tried several smaller doses that month.  Had burning and twitching so just stopped. 

Lexapro

June of 2023' 2.5 mg for two weeks 

July of 2023 5 mg for two weeks

July of 2023 7.5 mg for 2 weeks

August to mid September 10 mg

Mid September reduced to 7.5

October to October 15 reduced to 5

October 15 to October 30 reduced to 2.5 

October 30-off

• 2 weeks later...

@itscodyman

Just read through your thread a little and want to say that I'm so sorry for everything you are suffering. I'm on Zoloft also and last May while sitting at 25mg for 9 months, I started getting withdrawal symptoms. I just looked through my own thread and I actually didn't describe it very well because at the time I was in a really agitated and overwhelmed state. I thought the withdrawal was brought on by health anxiety and stress but now Im wondering if the bladder irritation was the beginning of withdrawal. Regardless, the symptoms arrived in full swing:- agitation, hyper alertness,hyperactivity, anhedonia, limited sleep, rapid weight loss. It was like I was plugged in to some horrible energy that would not turn off. It wasn't akathisia ( I know because Ive had that before when I updated or reinstated) but it was severe enough that I had to quit work. I eventually started to have crying spells as well. It was such a shock as I wasn't expecting it at all. My life had been going really well for the last 4 years despite covid lockdowns. 

I ended up introducing mirtazapine 15mg after 9 weeks of hell. It did calm some of my symptoms but has introduced some other awful symptoms the worst being depression and a lack of feeling as well as awful dreams, weird sleep, horrible wake ups every morning. So horrid and now I'm in the terrible place of trying to figure out what's causing what and what do I do next. 

On 3/10/2024 at 2:15 AM, itscodyman said:

My job is stressful tho, so maybe that’s delaying everything. I’m considering getting some blood work done to just rule that out. Going to a therapist weekly helps. Insomnia and muscle rigidity are my main 2 remaining symptoms, but I still get intrusive thoughts,  anxious, brain fog, trouble with memory/word or name recall, and paranoia as well.

You're on the right track @itscodyman. You are moving through this day after day and you are drug free. Your brain will heal. Please keep us updated on how you are going. You have had a relatively short journey on Zoloft. Ive been on it for 20 years now so I feel hopeless about ever being able to safely get off and come back properly into the land of the living. 

Stay strong, the land of the living is not too far off for you 

2003 Paxil - I can't remember the dose but I think it was 10mg  experienced  horrendous akathisia when starting for 3 weeks then okay 

2004.  slow reduction to 0 , withdrawal symptoms, so reinstated to 10mg - again horrendous Akathisia which lasted 5 weeks.
2005 - attempted to slowly taper off and again  Terrible withdrawal so reinstated and endured akathisia until it settled. Psychiatrist changed me over to

Zoloft so that I could have another baby. No adverse reaction with the switch except terrible diorreah

2006   tried once more to come off Zoloft carefully with terrible results. reinstated Zoloft and used 2.5 mg of zyprexa to help Akathisia- horrid episode                             lasted 3 months with some akathisia and severe depression which I’d never had before. Withdrawal from zyprexa ( depression) 

2008  50 mg of Zoloft then after 6 months I tapered to 25 mg and decided to stay there . 

2012 stress event and peri menopause acute anxiety which led to, updosing to 125 mg, tortuous symptoms(akathisia) then stabilized,  back to 50 mg-

2014 - same again  down to 25 with Akathisia on updosing and a hospital visit. 

2019 - 2023 Zoloft tapering by 2 mg linear taper every 3 months started at 50 mg, got to 25 mg around January 2023.  June 2023- health anxiety and what feels like withdrawal again.  Insomnia, anxiety, blunted good feelings.

2023 June- Zyprexa taken twice, ativan 1 mg taken once, temazepan infrequent but 15- 18th of June used for 4 nights

2023 August - introduced 7.5 mg of mirtazapine for 12 days then 15mg of mirtazapine. Sleep now ok but daily life depression, anhedonia, agitation and a weird feeling of being sedate and anxious at the same time. Currently holding.

My introduction thread: Jaffa: Possibly late onset withdrawal