Narcissus: just another Effexor story

Narcissus

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Narc,

I'm sorry you haven't been feeling well! I'm having cycling windows and waves but the windows are bigger than the waves, thankfully, I think?! The waves started after drama on top of drama.

I really hope you feel better soon. I agree with Jemima and Rhi, you seem to be able to remain cool and collected in spite of WD. You still offer lots of encouragement and good advice. I've had trouble finding words to express myself with.

• Moderator Emeritus

I've had trouble finding words to express myself with.

I often have trouble too.  Thanks for the kind words tezza.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Still feeling the doubled dose today.  Yesterday was an interesting day.  There were pockets during which most of my symptoms were totally absent.  There were also two different one hour periods where I felt that terrible tension from the earlier days of withdrawal.  I also felt extremely stupid throughout the day, and was hardly able to do anything mentally but play video games.  But something did return that gave me hope, a marked improvement on one of the many levels of symptoms I have in withdrawal.  A very mixed bag, but not as bad as you'd expect for an accidental double dose on what must be a very sensitized nervous system.  

Given this experience, I'm reconsidering updosing, but at a much slower rate obviously.  I am a little concerned that this accidental updose brought me some relief.  It's been more than 7 months now, and it worries me that I can still benefit from taking more Effexor.  What does this mean in terms of my recovery?  I'm haunted by the irrational fear that 150 mgs of Effexor is the only thing that brings me back to "normal", and that I simply can't adjust to anything less. I don't think this is right though, as my withdrawal appears to have been caused not by the reduction of the drug but by the speed at which I made the reduction.  Thinking about this is difficult right now, and yet I still have a lingering druggy sense of well being from yesterday.  There is something ingenuine about it that makes me suspicious, but then again, the entire withdrawal experience has often seemed ingenuine.  

Did the higher dose of Effexor simply stomp out some of my anxiety or did it make an improvement in my symptoms?  Am I losing progress by going back upward, crawling back into the Inferno just to have to scale its craggy cliffs again later on?  Am I so desperate for hope that I've convinced myself that yesterday was actually pleasant?  And finally, do I just miss the false electrical warmth of my uterine Effexor cocoon?  

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Ugh, now I just feel like crappy and slightly crazy.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm sorry that you're feeling so rotten. :(

Probably the best thing to do is hold steady rather than jangle your nervous system with another change. You've got an awful lot of sharp ups and downs in your history.  You can always updose in another day or two if that seems to be the wise thing to do.

Judging from your dosages, I'm guessing that you're on the tablet version of Effexor.  Is that right?  If so, I'm wondering if it might be wise to switch to the capsule variety so you can make increments and decrements that are a lot smaller.  I'm thinking that a small updose (5 mg. or so) might be a better idea than going all the way up to 150 mg. again. 

Just my idea.  I'm appalled at how difficult it is to get off Effexor and Pristiq.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Please don't blame yourself if an updose makes you feel better.

Are you taking Effexor XR in tablets?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hope you're feeling a little better today Narc:)

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah jeez, thanks for the support everyone.  The last few days have been extremely rough, it seems that my body did not appreciate that double dose at all.  The first day there was some pleasantness mixed into all the chaos, but the past two days have been completely hellish.  I apologize for my very weird and frantic post, and for my absence these past few days.  I'll return when things settle down a bit.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

No apologies necessary.  There was nothing weird about your post, and feeling a bit panicky about taking a double dose of meds is certainly understandable.

When you're up to some hard thinking, please considered going on the kind of Effexor that allows for tapering more gradually.  I think it's XR, the capsule with beads inside.

Other than that, please be gentle with yourself, and get well.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Narc,

you remember a while back I posted about taking the double dose?

Well it really knocked me around too and it took a good while to settle down (didn't help that I'd been poisoning my system with Valium, but that's another story..)

You offered me some words of support at that time so I wanted to remind you that we're very sensitive to the slightest alterations in our meds - but it WILL settle down again.

Take care

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Jemima, I should've mentioned earlier that I'm already on Effexor XR.  Going up to 150 was a freak accident.  My memory was particularly hazy a few days ago and as I prepared for bed I couldn't remember if I'd taken my Effexor or not.  Feeling very unsure I decided to take it.  When I awoke in the morning it was immediately clear that I'd make a mistake.  I think next time I find myself in that predicament I'll just risk skipping my dose.  Far better to miss a day than to double up it seems.  Yes I remember that Basildev, thank you for the encouragement.  Things are already improving a bit, I imagine that they'll continue.  I hope you are well.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Sadly, missing a day sux for a while too...

Maybe you could keep a checklist or diary or something and just make a tick mark whenever you take your dose, so you'll always have a record.

Or if it happened again, just take half a dose.

Just thinkin.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

Narcissus, I have the same problem, every once and a while not being sure if I've taken a medication or not.  

I solved the problem by counting the number of pills on any given day and writing that number and the date on the jar.

Then if I can't remember if I took it or not, I can count what's left in the jar and see if it comes out right according to how many should be left up to that particular day. I haven't used this method for the Effexor since tapering but still use it for my BP medicine. It's saved me from a lot of worrying on more than one occasion.

Sept 12th 1992-began taking Imipramine (50mgs) for panic attacks.

Stopped Imipramine after 4 months (cold turkey).

7 months later experienced "mysterious" bad flu-like symptoms, although, without upper respiratory problems or fever. Because of this and a day of panic attacks, was put on Prozac (20mgs?) for 2 months and then, when that didn't work-was put back on  Imipramine,  plus Xanax 1 mg (4Xdaily)-October 1993.

March 1999-switched from Imipramine (50mgs) to Celexa.

2008-switched to Pristiq for 3 months, then back to Effexor XR (after bad reaction to the Pristiq).

Sept 1st 2010-Switched from Effexor XR (75mgs) to Effexor Generic (solid form) in preparation for taper.

Nov 15th 2010-Began tapering from 75mgs Effexor Generic.

January 13th 2014-.06mgs

April 17th 2014-      .03mgs

May 11th 2014-       .02mgs

Ended taper October 31st 2014

Oct 4th 2015-11 months post taper and completely back to normal!

• Moderator Emeritus

Narcissus, I have the same problem, every once and a while not being sure if I've taken a medication or not.  

I solved the problem by counting the number of pills on any given day and writing that number and the date on the jar.

Then if I can't remember if I took it or not, I can count what's left in the jar and see if it comes out right according to how many should be left up to that particular day. I haven't used this method for the Effexor since tapering but still use it for my BP medicine. It's saved me from a lot of worrying on more than one occasion.

That's a good idea, maybe I'll try that.  I always take my pill right before bed, but sometimes if I'm distracted by something right around when I take it I become flustered and can't remember whether I've taken it.  Taking it is so automatic it's easy to forget, even just moments afterwards.Tezza, how did you feel after that first day?  There was a bit of comfort during the first day, but things are quite rough now.  I suspect it'll take me a week or so to recover.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

when i reinstated with 25mg (which turned out to be too high for me), i did it to get rid of my horrible anxiety that used to start at 5am.. i took that first pill at night and i did not have any anxiety at all the next day - i was so happy and relieved - but then it gave me other problems that were even worse than the anxiety... so i guess the initial relief does not necessarily mean that dose is what we needed...

i hope you will start feeling better soon

have been on various antidepressants (many SSRIs, SNRI, MAOIs) for chronic fatigue syndrome for more than 17 years, was on zoloft 100mg for the last 2-3 years, tapered over 2.5 months, ending october 24 2012.
reinstating AD:
march 28: started on 25mg co-sertraline, took it for 2 days
april 1: 12.5mg ONLY FOR ONE DAY- STOPPED taking meds
april 9: started on 2.5mg co-sertraline
april 17: increased to 5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Narc,

remember it takes about 4-5 days for the drug to reach steady state in the blood.

I reckon you'll be back to normal in about a week or so.

• Administrator

I use a pill case.  Even though I use liquid effexor I use the pill case to keep track of whether I've taken my evening dose ... after I take the liquid I flip the pill case open ... I do the same thing in the morning.  If the case is flipped open then I took my meds ... if it is closed then I most likely haven't taken my dose (I also get distracted and sometimes forget to flip the lid), but I do find that it keeps me pretty honest in taking my doses.

I'm also on alprazolam (xanax) and I do the same thing with it so I don't miss a dose. 

Similarly, to Hudgens, for my thyroid that I dose 4 times a day ... I know how many pills are in the bottle for the week that I take to work.  If I can't remember if I've take a dose I lay out my pills for the rest of the week and can tell if I missed a dose or not.

I hope youn feel better soon.

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• Moderator Emeritus

A pill case!  I don't know why that never occurred to me.  Thanks Karma.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Reemerging from the black cloud, will return to moderator duties soon.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Narcissus, I have the same problem, every once and a while not being sure if I've taken a medication or not.  I solved the problem by counting the number of pills on any given day and writing that number and the date on the jar.Then if I can't remember if I took it or not, I can count what's left in the jar and see if it comes out right according to how many should be left up to that particular day. I haven't used this method for the Effexor since tapering but still use it for my BP medicine. It's saved me from a lot of worrying on more than one occasion.

That's a good idea, maybe I'll try that.  I always take my pill right before bed, but sometimes if I'm distracted by something right around when I take it I become flustered and can't remember whether I've taken it.  Taking it is so automatic it's easy to forget, even just moments afterwards.Tezza, how did you feel after that first day?  There was a bit of comfort during the first day, but things are quite rough now.  I suspect it'll take me a week or so to recover.
I went back to feeling the same as before. A pill case is a good idea!I'm glad the black cloud is lifting off you!
  • Moderator Emeritus

I spoke too soon.  After that day of improvement I immediately sunk back into the mire of symptoms stirred up by that double dose.  It's been 9 days now.  Will return when things improve.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to hear Narc.

Hope you feel better soon

• Moderator Emeritus

Thinking of you, Narcissus. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

11 days since accidental double dose.  An intense feeling of aggravated emptiness in my body and a profoundly low level of energy.  A feeling of being dead to everything, hardly aware of the world around me.  Strange and tense mixtures of apathy and anxiety, extremely hard to describe.  The only thing that seems to provide any measure of relief is eating, I have to struggle not to overeat.   Unable to read, watch films, walk or do anything of interest.  Back in hell again.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Feeling very distraught.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

Hi, Narcissus!

I just finished reading your intro and I am so feeling for you. I wish I had any good words of support to give, I am still so new at this whole miserable experience that I am at a loss as how to support a fellow sufferer. All I can say is that it definitely does not last, the terribleness of feelings, but as I have recently begun to feel worse after feeling better, I do know that things change. It is just not very noticeable moment to moment, but more in retrospect. I am pulling for you and the one thing I know for sure is that things really do change, we just don't seem to be very much in charge of when.

Hugs, heartfelt hugs!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Full of a kind of terrible mounting energy I went for a walk with the dog.  This quickly became a kind of ferocious march, I felt I was being carried off by something into the night (probably my own adrenaline).  The world around me seemed to be somehow hostile and in response I felt a kind of primitive inner violence well up within me, like I was preparing for some kind of stand off.  What the is UP with these frantic almost hallucinatory episodes?  Are they the result of excess adrenaline?  I'd never experienced anything like them until withdrawal started, and they only occur when my symptoms have for whatever reason spiked.  It's like how one would expect to feel after seeing a grizzly bear in a primeval forest, except that you're sitting alone in your apartment and there's no bear to be found.  Plus the feeling comes on somewhat slowly and lasts much longer than any real dangerous encounter would.  I suspect this all involves the alerting system and the ways in which its manipulated by withdrawal. Again, it's only when my symptoms (many of which are physical) are at an absolute height that I have these experiences, they seem to grow out of my combined symptoms.  I'm not crazy I swear!

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Cymbalta, I appreciate you reaching out.  I've been feeling a little better since I went off on my psychotic death march.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Narc,

so incredibly sorry you're suffering. You've really been through the ringer and I wish the Universe would just give you a break!

I remember early in your journey you accidentally took an extra dose and while the symptoms may not be the same, it does seem you are EXTREMELY sensitive to dosage fluctuations.

Withdrawal symptoms are the worst kind of evil - it's so hard not to believe the awful stories we tell ourselves in the midst of the chaos.

I hope you feel better soon.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thank you Basildev.  I'm glad you remember that because I sure don't!  I don't have any memory whatsoever at the moment, except for an uncanny sense of deja vu (for me flare-ups always have an element of deja vu).  Things seem to be calming down a bit now.  Thanks again for the reassurance.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

Glad the psychotic death march helped a little...What you're experiencing does sound like you've been hijacked by your body's alerting/protective systems. I'm so sorry you have to go through this.

I know that right now it feels like this time is the one time it's never going to get better, it's never really been much better than this, and there's really no hope.  

Please try to remember that those thoughts are not based on reality. They're not coming from your frontal lobes where logical assessment resides. They're coming from neurochemicals and hormones run amuck, and they're going to pass, sooner than you expect but probably later than you'd like.

I've seen you having windows. I know they will happen again. I suspect this will continue to be a rough year or two, but I think you will find gradual improvement in a roller coaster fashion, and the roller coaster ups and downs will gradually become less extreme as well.

Hang. In. There! We care about you!

Narcissus, do you sleep?

If you are able to sleep you will overcome this hard moment.

I have big trouble sleeping, and even though, I'm seeing important improvement during the day.

Sending you healing vibes.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

Ah, beautiful people, all of you!  Today was a little better.

Alex, I've never had any trouble with sleeping (thank god), I truly sympathize with those who do.

I know that right now it feels like this time is the one time it's never going to get better, it's never really been much better than this, and there's really no hope.  

You really have a strong grasp on the psychology of withdrawal, Rhi.  I'm getting better at avoiding these sorts of thought patterns, or perhaps the flare-ups are just less intense than they were. This double dose thing has reminded me just how horrendous things were a months ago, I really have improved a great deal on all fronts.  Now I just have to ride out this very sharp and ugly wave stirred up by the higher dose and hope it leads me somewhere more bearable.

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

Back down to 75 mgs

• Moderator Emeritus

May your healing continue :)