☼ Brassmonkey: Talking about myself

brassmonkey

There is an eclipse of the moon tomorrow too, should be pretty amazing.

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Well thats two amazing things happening tomorrow then....an eclipse of the moon and ....i go 5 years drug free!!

Well done on the latest drop hey i think at this rate you will be 0.99 at christmas...that also will be amazng!

Thought for the day: Lets stand up, and let’s speak out , together. G Olsen

We have until the 14th. Feb 2018. 

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

http://www.parliament.scot/GettingInvolved/Petitions/PE01651   

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Congratulations on the 5 years NZ11 that is truly an amazing and wonderful thing.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{MAN HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

Thanks BM

URGENT REQUEST Please consider submitting  for the petition on Prescribed Drug Dependence and Withdrawal currently awaiting its third consideration at the Scottish Parliament. You don't even have to be from Scotland. By clicking on the link below you can read some of the previous submissions but be warned many of them are quite harrowing.

Please tell them about your problems taking and withdrawing from antidepressants and/or benzos.

Send by email to petitions@parliament.scot and quote PE01651 in the subject heading. Keep to a maximum of 3 sides of A4 and you can't name for legal reasons any doctor you have consulted. Tell them if you wish to remain anonymous. We need the numbers to help convince the committee members we are not isolated cases. You have until mid February. Thank you

Recovering paxil addict

None of the published articles shed light on what ssri's ... actually do or what their hazards might be. Healy 2013. 

This is so true, with anything you get on these drugs, dependance, tapering, withdrawal symptoms, side effects, just silent. And if there is something mentioned then their is a serious disconnect between what is said and reality! 

"Every time I read of a multi-person shooting, I always presume that person had just started a SSRI or had just stopped."  Dr Mosher. Me too! 

Over two decades later, the number of antidepressant prescriptions a year is slightly more than the number of people in the Western world. Most (nine out of 10) prescriptions are for patients who faced difficulties on stopping, equating to about a tenth of the population. These patients are often advised to continue treatment because their difficulties indicate they need ongoing treatment, just as a person with diabetes needs insulin. Healy 2015

I believe the ssri era will soon stand as one of the most shameful in the history of medicine. Healy 2015

Let people help people ... in a natural, kind, non-addictive (and non-big pharma) way. J Broadley 2017

Today is an important day for the old monkey man.  Four years ago today I started on a huge adventure that has restored my life and marriage, and made me friends all over the world.  I was scared to death to make the start, but there was no alternative.  My life was falling apart, I was an alcoholic, in constant pain, couldn't remember my name let alone what day it was.  If I didn't make some changes I would have lost everything and probably been in prison if not dead.

Twenty four years ago this fall I was also in a complete mess.  I was in the middle of what I refer to as "My Seven Years of Pain".  I had just finished a hospitalization to remove 45 adhesions, a hospitalization for Pancreatitus (sp) that had been brought on by trying to find those adhesions, a surgery to clean up the Peritonitis caused by a surgery for a gangrene gall bladder. Throw in having one of the worlds most stressful jobs and I was not a happy camper.  In fact I had some major anger issues.  (I wonder why)  Anyway, my GP said there is this wonder drug called paxil that will fix the "chemical imbalance" that is causing your trouble.  I took it and life was wonderful for about ten years, when I noticed that it wasn't working as well as it was.  So we upped the dose, which helped a bit for a few years, then we upped it again.  That worked somewhat for a couple of years and then I went into full poopout and life really went down hill.

After several years in this state I figured out I needed to make some changes and found an online forum called PaxilProgress.  This is my introductory post on that forum:

Hello All,
I go by Brassmonkey but you can also call me Tom. I am so glad I found this site ten weeks ago before I made a very big mistake. I have been suffering from a lot of aches and pains for several years, have had no strength and all I want to do is sleep. My wife suggested that I switch from Paxil to Cymbalta (sp.) because she had heard that it is good for fibramialgia and such. I did a google search and started researching abut switching to Cymbalta and found this wounderful community. After reading up on things I decided that the Paxil I have been taking for 18 years was the problem and it was time to get off of it.

I went to my PCP to talk about it and he was less that helpful, saying that if I wanted off then to stop taking it. I said what abut the withdrawal problems? He said there are not, just stop. I said that on line they say... and he gave me a rambling anecdote that ended with don't belive what you read on line and if your sore and tired all the time you more that likely have Leukemia.

So now I am six weeks into a self directed taper guided by the gang at PP, and so far so good. I am not doing 10% drops, but 10% slides over four weeks, and will be holding at the final level for four to six weeks before sliding again. So far I have been having minimal W/D symptoms.

There is a lot more to talk about, but I am sure that it will all come out in the future.

And now that PP is history, I have found a much more pleasant home here at SA and learned things that have made the journey all the more "enjoyable".  I am profoundly great full to each and every one of you who has shared this trip with me, sharing your hope, pain and wisdom.  I have reduced from 40mgs a day to 1.2mgs, as of yesterday, and the final dose is in sight.

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS TO ALL)))))))))))))))))))

Hi Brassmonkey,

Thanks very much for sharing the wonderful story! I'm so happy for you you are eventually in your own good hands for better health!

You are doing so well with the slow taper and will be at the finishing line soon to enjoy the full freedom!

You mentioned you were in all sorts of pain and aches before. How did that go during your taper? Did they lesson or disappear over the course and any pattern if so?

I have been in constant pain of various types, all over since my taper, then more with a dose increase last year. It seems doesn't matter if I'm at high or low dose, increase or decrease dose, I always end up with most severe pain. They are so intolerable often time I feel so exhausted to continue after years of tortune physically and mentally.

Hope you continuous healing.

LexA

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2009 Mar.: lexapro 10mg for headache for 2 weeks.

2009-2012: on and off 1/4 to 1/3 of 10mg

2012 June--2013 Jan,: 1/4-1/3 of 10mg generic, bad jaw pain

2013 Jan-Mar: 10 mg generic. severe jaw and head pain;

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2013 Aug.: back to 2.75 mg; Nov: back to Brand Lex. 2.75mg -- 3mg,

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi  B.M,

That's inspirational. Thank you.  You are a " success story ".

Ali.

Many SSRI's and SSNRI's over 20 years. Zoloft for 7 years followed by Effexor, Lexapro, Prozac, Cymbalta, Celexa, Pristiq, Valdoxan, Mianserin and more - on and off. No tapering. Cold turkey off Valdoxan - end of May 2014

Psych Drug - free since May 2014

HAPPY 4 YEAR SA TAPPER ANNIVERSARY!!!! YOU'RE AN INSPIRATION TO US ALL!!!  :D  :D  :D 

BIG CONGRATS HUGS!!!!! :D :D :D

Since 1990s: Various meds depression/anxiety. A little benefit from Effexor; Zoloft/Sertraline. Unsuccessful tapers

Feb 2015: Neurological crash / Hemiplegic Migraine after Sertraline taper slower than pdoc's suggestion 50-37-25-12-6-0mg.

Found SA. Reinstated 25mg Sertraline

July 2015:  Medical occurrence thought to be due to Sertraline. Told to D/C. Hypomania/anxiety resulted. Reinstated

Sept 2016: Increased to 37mg Sertraline due to depression/anxiety symptoms or more likely withdrawal symptoms

Dec 2016: Insurance company refused to fill 37mg (1 1/2 pills) Given 25mg.

2017: Started taper, got fearful of possible withdrawal effects, stopped.
May 2018: Still dealing with side effects. New pdoc. 25mg Lamictal added to 25mg Sertraline. 5 mg Melatonin added. Feeling better. Would still like to wean off Sertraline and then Lamictal, but holding for now. I have a very sensitive system with meds.

No other meds. Supplements: Multivitamin, Vitamin D, Probiotic, Fish oil.

Nice one Brass!!!! Its been a long haul for sure. You've done so well. I started my taper around the same time, but not from 40mg.....way to go!!!!!!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Effexor 75mg to 262.5mg 2005-2010 for post partum depression

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)
Rapid "tapered" from 262.5mg Effexor in 3 months

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Paxil taper: dropped 10% every 4-8 weeks

Year 1 October 2011 to Nov 2012 20mg to 10mg

Year 2 March 2013 to Feb 2014 10mg to 4mg

Year 3 April 2014 to May 2015 4mg to 1.1mg

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

Finished! Official last dose of 0.1mg on June 15/16

Hi Lex--  pain has been a big part of things for a long time.  The Seven Years of Pain had nothing to do with paxil, except get me started on it, that was all physical from the gall bladder problems.  The paxil has caused a lot of pain though.  While in poopout the total body pain was intense hands, arms, back legs and a daily headache.  Between the pain and the alcohol cravings caused by the paxil I self medicated with vodka at ridiculous levels.  Which brought on its own set of problems.  Once I started to taper the pain started to decrease concentrating mainly in my hands, forearms, lower legs and lower back.  For a while I had real trouble walking up the drive from the car to the house my legs were so weak.  Research showed that paxil can mimic fibromyalgia and that's what it felt like.  Once I hit about 20mg things calmed down quite a bit.  The pain didn't go away but it was pretty tolerable.  Then when I broke under 5mg it started to kick up again.  Fight now between the arthritis, over work and the WDpain my hands are pretty useless by the time I get home at night.  I hardly have the strength to grab my wife's b*** properly.  Upsetting to us both. 

I'm pretty sure that once I'm off the paxil for good things will calm down from the WDpain aspect, but years of overwork and abuse have really taken their toll So I am probably stuck with that.

AliG and Serenity-- I'm not a success story yet, but getting close, and I really appreciate the support both of you have given me.

(((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))

Hi Aberdeen--  Yea, we've been in this together since the start.  I really can't believe that it's been that long.  It has been exciting watching the steady progress you've been making, even the times you haven't seen it yourself.  And you've been dealing with the Effexor CT on top of it all.  Still we'll both be off pretty soon and it will be party time.

((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))

Thank you so much Brassmonkey for taking time responding with your experience! You are so kind!

Again I'm so happy you are gaining back the most deserved well being after such a long and difficult haul! Such a nightmare, but soon will be in far memories. Your strength and success gives me hope and encourage.

On top of the fabrimygia, the most difficult type of pain for me is the parethsia, like deep dpneedling all mover my head and upper body, it can make my heart shaking when it's very bad.

Wish you the continuous and complete healing.

Enjoy the cooler weather in SC :). I feel we are close neighbors. I'm in Simi Valley.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

2013 Mar--Aug. started tapering (liquid ever since) from 10 to 5 (one step) then gradually down to 2.25 mg by July. first ever panic attack, severe head/jaw pain

2014 June: stopped PPI, head pressure/numbness. up-dosed 4.5mg, severe reaction mental symptoms added on

2014 Aug--2015 Aug: Micro taper down to 3.2mg, .025mg (<1%) cut holding 2-3 weeks.

2015 Aug 15th, Accidental one dose of 4.2mg. worsening brain non-functional, swollen head, body, coma like, DR

2016 Feb., started dosing 10am through 11 pm everyday 2/13--3.2mg, 3/15-- 2.9mg, 4/19-- 2.6mg, 6/26--2.2mg, 7/22 --1.9mg, 8/16--1.8mg,8/31--1.7m g, 9/13--1.6mg, 9/27--1.5mg, 10/8--1.4mg, 10/14--1.3mg, 11/1--1.2mg, 11/29--1.1mg, 12/12--1mg, 12/22--0.9mg

2017: 1/7--0.8mg, 1/15--0.7mg, 1/17--0.6mg, 1/20--0.52, 1/21--0.4mg, 1/22--0.26, 1/23--0.2, 2/13--0.13mg, 2/20--0.06mg, 3/18--0.13mg, 6/1--0.12mg, 7/6--0.1mg, 7/14--0.08mg, 8/17--0.04mg, 8/20--0.03mg, 8/28--0.02mg, 9/6--0.0205mg, 9/8--0.02mg, 9/17--0.015mg, 9/20--0.01mg, 9/21--0.0048mg, 9/22--0.0001mg,

Hi brass, glad to hear your still doing ok. Since your the one who taught me the slide, I have a question..

If a 40mg pill weighs 500 on the scale and to do 1mg drops you take 500 and minus it by 12.5 right? What if you want to do 1/2 mg drops? So 0.5 drops instead of 1mg. How do I do that? Take 500 minus 6.3 instead?

Sorry, not good with this... thanks so much!

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

Sending love. Brass, you are a rock. Thank you for all support. I am so happy you are almost done with your long taper. You are so worth it!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

Hi dreamspirit-- That's the right way.  Then next time you would subtract 6.3 from 493.7.  Be careful though because going down by mgs is an accelerating taper, the lower you go the bigger the drop.  Where as using the % method keeps things at a steady rate. 

AmyK-- always good to hear from you. We're right at the same dose, just different meds.  I hope you're doing well too.

(((((((((((((((((((HUGS TO BOTH)))))))))))))))))

Accelerating taper? I was planning on doing either a 1/2 mg drop every 6 months or a 1mg drop every 6 months..

Thanks so much for replying :-)

Been on Paxil since 96”-97”, 40mg tried 3 times to get off and didn’t work, started a very slow taper Jan 2016, have only dropped down by 3 mg.. on 37mg currently.. have very delayed withdrawals. Last drop was in July 2017.. still have waves and windows. 

Magnesium 200mg, foilc acid 1 mg, vitamin d3 5000iu, Blood pressure meds-Verapamil & Irbesartan... Smoke cbd flower once in awhile. 

Wow thanks for sharing that Tom.

You were on the ball to save your pp posts !!

I was saving up all my superlatives for when you went drug free but i guess i could let some out of the bag now.

Have you decided on the 'jump-off point' ?

I am just in awe of what i am seeing in what you have accomplished....and about to accomplish.

If i saw a person on 40 mg after 20 years use join this board after following this advice below i would be horrified and terrified for their life,

"I went to my PCP to talk about it and he was less that helpful, saying that if I wanted off then to stop taking it. I said what abut the withdrawal problems? He said there are not, just stop. I said that on line they say... and he gave me a rambling anecdote that ended with don't believe what you read on line and if your sore and tired all the time you more that likely have Leukemia."

Yet you were able to 'un-patient' yourself and take control (not an easy move to make) pioneering or should i say engineering a stunning taper plan. Executed to perfection with patience unmatched, steely resolve and strong determination and conviction.

You have written a winning taper formula that works. Just brilliant. One thats enabled you to have a life, keep the wife and hold a job to stay out of strife !

I have no doubt you have saved lives with your calming 'presence' and sincere true blue selfless daily supportive advice and encouragement to others including me.

It is a real honor and a privelege to have shared time with you on pp and now here at sa.

What a wonderful day is in store in the coming few months.

Good on  ya mate!

You are a legend.

Recovering paxil addict

Thank you Matt, I always like hearing from you, and no just posts like this, you've really helped keep me on my toes.-- 

When I look at the others around us I feel like I have dodged a bullet the entire time.  It shows what doing your research and paying attention to what others are doing and experiencing and a healthy dose of fear.  I read everything I could find on WD and tapering for about a couple of months before I started.  It became clear very quickly that changing drugs was totally out, everyone I saw who had was having trouble.  Then I read about LCrawford and her success with the 10% schedule and it really made sense.  But I as seeing a lot of people saying that the symptoms would hit pretty hard a few days after even after a 10% drop.  So I though what if I sneak up on the 10% over several weeks, that would give the old brain a little while to get use to the idea a little at a time.  I was in no position to be sidelined with symptoms so I decided to go that direction.  It seems to have really worked, and not only for me, I know of at least a dozen others using the Brassmonkey Slide Method and having very good results with it.

For a side by side comparison, KittyQ joined Prior Place about the same I did, only she CTed from 40mgs of paxil.  I know each experience is individual, but the contrast between the two of us very eye opening.

Another thing I noticed while researching was that too many people were letting their WD become all consuming, the total focus of their lives 24/7.  Like I mentioned above, I was in no position to be sidelined by this, so I decided from the start that I would try to maintain as normal a life as possible, accept the situation, symptoms and limitations and push on as best as I could in spite of them.  That was to be one of the major themes of my journal.  Sure I would document the symptoms, the ups and downs etc, because I wanted the records.  At the same time I would also document the mundanity of life, my work, my hobbies, any travel, all of the "normal things" people do.  Just to show that there was more to life than WD.  Over the past several months I have let that slip because WD is such a minor part of life now that I don't come to my journal as much as I use to.  I really need to start that up again because it really is an important message to get out, and from the volume of "views" I had at PP it is something people want to read.  And on top of that I really like sharing and helping others, selfishly, it makes me feel good.

I've got to stop and get back to work.  I've managed to keep this job the entire time, no need to screw it up now.

Hi brass, did you see my reply above by chance? :-)

Sorry Dreamspirit-  too many things going on at once.  If you lower your dose by a set number of mgs. the percentage of the previous dose increases with every drop.  So the taper becomes more aggressive as you go along and could be thought of as accelerating.  If you drop by a set percentage each time the amount actually decreases with each drop which makes it gentler on your system.  So if you drop by 1mg, (assuming you start at 40mgs) you going down 2.5% on your first drop. When you reach 33mgs a 1mg drop would be 3% and when you reach 20mg a 1mg drop would be 5%.   What started out as a very gentle taper has gotten steadily stronger and the symptoms could increase because of it.  This really becomes important when you get below 10mg.

The schedule you are proposing is very gentle and shouldn't cause you any problems.  It is a true microtaper and they tend to be very successful.  The acceleration is just something to keep in mind as you go down.  If suddenly you're getting more symptoms when you get around 20mgs it's because the drops are twice as big as when you started. 

I needed to point out the acceleration thing because we get a number of new people here thinking that they can drop by "just 5mg" at a time.  It sounds pretty gentle, but after only two drops, the third is 16% and that is going to hit them pretty hard.  But it probably won't really hit until after their 4th drop which would be 20%.  By the time they figure out what is happening they're in big trouble, and it just snowballs with each drop.

Hope that makes some sense.

So if I start at 40mgs and do a 1mg drop which is 2.5% and I continue the 1mg drop it stays at 2.5% until I hit 33mgs? If I wanted to stay at a 2.5% drop after 33mgs then how do I figure that out? Would it then go down to a 0.5mg drop to keep it at 2.5% ? I'm so sorry, I'm so dense when it comes to this lol.

Hey, Brass...so glad you are almost done with the taper.   You have been such a support to so many, always quick with the hugs and helpful advice.  My heart goes out to you and what you suffered "way back when".   What a nightmare to have all the problems you did and then end up on the paxil poison to boot.  But you figured it out and it WORKED.  

I have to admit I was a little shocked to see "KittyQ" in one of your posts.  I assume you were refering to the differences in what we experienced.  Just for the record, I didn't decide to go CT....it was a combination of circumstances that ended me up there, mainly due to the medical personnel not giving a crap, and I didn't find out that one SHOULD taper until about 9 months into it, so Way too late for me.

I REALLY research any medications now....and I don't trust so called "doctors" at all.  It amazes me how stupid they are....

So best of everything to you, Brass....and lots of (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

P.S.  Hope your "haunt" is going well.....

KittyQ

CT off paxil-April 2009

Hey Kitty!! "

Yeah, I took it to mean," look how long and hard people who CT suffer, and how much more functional one can be if they taper"....I was wondering how you'[ve been, I see you're still gradually getting there....and you will finish this trip soon enough!

2 Timothy 1-7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Started having poop out mid 2010, also switched generic brands, then crashed in Dec 2010 (anxiety/ "terror", intense DR, anhedonia, suicidal ideation, chills, insomnia, horrible intrusive thoughts, disorientation, ect)

Tried Celexa,Cipralex, then Paxil to deal with wd(this switching made things worse and added akathesia)

Found online support and started tapering Paxil 7 months after quitting Effexor (at this point was having small windows).

Year 4 June 2015 1.1mg , dropping by 10% until .5mg, after then dropped by 0.1mg every 5 weeks until 0.1mg.

It's being one of "those days" today.  Body aches are approaching my old acute level, hands, arms, legs hips, you name it and it hurts.  So that puts everything else on edge making all the typical shop noise irritating. Which makes me tense my muscles, which makes them hurt, which .... on and on.  Luckily the rest of the shop goes home an hour and a half before me, so I will be getting a bit of peace soon.  I can hear my recliner calling my name already, can't wait to get home.

"Those days" will change for better days! I hope you can go home and relax soon.

Many hugs!

Current dose: 0! Free!  Quit June 2017.

2017: Last dose zoloft: 17 June 0,00065 mg 18 May 0, 001 mg 14 May 0,002 mg 9 May 0,003 mg 28 April 0,006 mg 19 April 0,009 mg 8 April 0,013 mg 25 March 0,019 mg 22 March 0,039 mg 18 March 0,052 mg 16 March 0,079 mg 4 March 0,086 1 March 0,099 mg 22 February 0,11 mg 15 February 0,13 mg 6 February 0,145 mg 24 January 0,15 mg 19 January 0,19 mg 10 January 0,20 mg 3 January

2016: 0,98 to 0,22 mg; 2015: 2,35 to 1,01 mg; 2014: 4,9 to 2,5 mg; 2013: 9,1 to 5,1 mg; 2012: 15,7 to 9,7 mg; 2011: Started on 25 mg - then 50 mg- dropped to 25- to 12.5 mg - back to 25 mg - after 18.75 mg started tiny tapering to 16.6 mg

Started on 25 mg Zoloft in March 2011 due to stressrelated tinnitus that gave me panicattacks. Had a terrible reaction to Zoloft from start, but was told to "hold on". After four months I was stuck. Therefore the long taper. Crazy, I know... Super sensitive to drops and have dropped by 4-6 % from the previous dose.

yuck Brass...it'll pass Ive been crappy lately too. 

Hi brass, I'm so sorry but did you happen to see my post above? I just want to make sure I'll be doing everything right when I get below 30mg..

Thanks so much! :-)

Hi DS-- Haven't forgotten you, things have been really nutz lately. 

Every time you drop your dose by 1mg the percentage of the change increases.  Only be little bits at first, but it gets bigger and bigger the further you drop.  So what started as a 2.5% drop at 40mgs works its way up to a 3.5% drop at 30mgs and a 5% drop at 20mg.  This is why we don't like doing it this way, because the decrease is inconsistent because the amount of active ingredient removed gets bigger with each drop, and can cause worse symptoms the more you go down.

If you decrease by a percentage then the number of mgs you decrease gets a little smaller each time, but the change in active ingredient stays constant.  This helps to keep the symptoms more controllable and not getting worse the further you go.

Your best bet will be to decrease by 2.5% each time and not by 1mg.  It's really easy to figure out the weight.  Take the weight of the dose your are on and multiply it by 0.975 and that will give you the weight of the dose your are dropping to.  If your 40mg paxil tablets are like mine they weigh 500mgs.  So 500 X 0.975 = 487.5 (round down to 486) making your first reduced dose 486mg.  For the next drop 486 X 0.975 = 474mg and for your third drop 474 X 0.975 = 462mgs. 

Does that help?

Yes, it does. Thank you so much!

When I started my last taper in Jan 2014. I was doing 1mg drops every 4-6 weeks. Started at 40mg and got down to 29mg. Didn't get really any withdrawl symptoms until 12 weeks ago when I crashed. Why did it take over a year to get symptoms and crash? I did the monkey slide on how you taught me while on PP forum which is 500 mg tablet minus 12.5. Which would give you each drop dosage.

Did I do it the wrong way back then? I thought I was doing 1mg drops by doing it that way.. Thank you so much for always getting back with me and helping I really appreciate it.

That sounds right for figuring the 1mg and it is a decent length of time between drops.  Only thing I can see right now would be taking even more time between drops, maybe 8-12 weeks.  Have you read the thread on doing microtapers?

Micro-taper instead of 10% or 5% decreases

Yes, I have read most of that. So 2.5% is a micro taper, right?

That's why I said I was planning on a 1mg taper every 4-6 months instead of every 4-6 weeks but would the 2.5% be better and more stable?

My problem is that I don't get symptoms right away.. it always takes months before I feel any withdrawl and that's when I crash.

So I really can't go on how my symptoms are..I guess I just have to hold way longer like I was saying.. every 4-6 months so my brain can heal before the next drop so I don't crash all at once later down the road.

Hi brass,

So sorry about the bad days! I feel for you as I'm also in the worst week ever from a recent cut 3.2 to 3.175mg.

Did you reduce further lately from 1.2mg which might be the cause of the waves?

Hope it subsides soon.

Lex

Drug free Sep. 23 2017

Yea DS.  2.5% is actually on the big end of the microtaper scale.  Some people here are doing .5% and some 1% and it seems to be working for them.  It sounds like a plan doing the 2.5% every 4-6 months.  Yes I think using 2.5% will be  more stable in the long run.  Boy, having the symptoms take that long to catch up is tough.  Is there anything at all that may have tripped off the crash, other than the taper?