SurvivingAntidepressants.org is temporarily closed to new registrations until 1 April ×

Sudden fear, terror, panic, anxiety, or sensory overload from withdrawal

squirrel

• Moderator Emeritus

Hibari posted about taking L-theanine to relieve anxiety and getting considerable success

Hi Petunia

I have been taking L-Theanine during my taper and have found it to be really helpful. It was recommended to me by my psychatist who is supportive of my tapering.

I was only tapering off my remeron at the time and bouncing off the wall with anxiety. He recimmended that I take either 100mgs 3x a day or 200 mgs 3x a day. I was so anxious I asked hone 3 times during our session if it would work. God bless him for this because he said, "I research different supplements and I felt it within a 1/2 hour of taking it". I was so happy he revealed this about himself.

I went to the health food store and bought some that came in 200mg capsules. I took 1 200mg capsule and calmed down in about 20 mins. For the next 3 months I took between 300 and 600mgs per day. Now I take it as needed.

Thanks for that tip about taking it with coffee. I wake up with a remeron/ lamictal hangover and need a lit of caffiene to get going. I find green tea has a much more head clearing effect and no wonder because of the L-Theanine component.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

• Moderator Emeritus

I've seen a lot on here about suppliments. From the basic premise that they can be really helpful if you find the right one(s) to the premise that they should not be taken and just complicate the WD process. I've tried a few before like certain teas, melatonin, probiotics, fish oil pills and they did nothing for me tht I've ever noticed to sooth my anxiety. Ive seen a lot of people mention magnesium. So perhaps I'll pick up some L-Theanine and magnesium and give them a try (one at a time).

My suggestions are not medical advice. They are my opinions based on my own experience, strength and hope.

You are in charge of your own medical / healing / recovery choices.

My success story |  My introduction thread

ZOLOFT FREE - COMPLETELY DRUG FREE 4/28/2019! - total time on 28+ years

BENZO FREE! 4/7/2018 - total time on 27+ years

REMERON FREE! 12/11/2016 - total time on 15 months

Caffeine & Nicotine Free 2014 / 2015 - smoked for 28 years

Alcohol Free 4/1/2014 - drank for 30 years

• 8 months later...

I used to have a lot of anxiety even on strong meds - Welbutrin 150mg and Zyprexa over 12,5mg. Even though completely drugged I experienced strong anxiety all days. It started when a sort of problem emerged in my life.

I resolved the anxiety by adopting ayurveda and yoga lifestyle. I started to do sport, yoga, took a good diet. Also important was that I gave up drinking coffee and strong tea after noon and evening (as recommended by ayurveda) and gave up smoking completely.  I also lowered the dose to 5mg of Zyprexa and 150mg of Welbutrin. since that time, I am generally not anxious, just occasionally nervous.

However, I am sure that when I get off meds completelly anxiety will come, even though of a different sort. It will be chemical. This makes me scary a little bit. I am not afraid of anxiety itself, but rather the possibility that it will transform into paranoia. So I read this forum through out and think I start to understand what will be happening, and will do everything to lower the chemical anxiety as much as possible. Please, does anyone has a similar experience related to antipsychotics?

2002 - MDMA induced psychosis, seroquel and st. worth. Abstinence from drugs. 2003 - psychosis relapse: olanzapin and citalec

2012 - 5mg of zyprexa and 150 Wellbutrin, starting with ayurveda helped
2015 - too fast and uniformed withdrawal; hospitalized and remedicated, first to 15mg Zyprexa; lowered to 10mg of Zyprexa when discharged. Abstinence from alcohol now on.

2016, sept – hospitalized again, forced treatment: 10 mg Zyprexa and 400mg amisulprid (Amilia).

2017 hospitalization (added abilify)

2018 so far last hospitalization

2019 heart palpitations, abrubt abilify withdrawal, stabilization on 5mg of olanzapin since then

Current medications and dosages:
5mg of olanzapin

Current supplements: Mentat (ayurvedic herbal blend for mental issues), St. worth (one cup a day), I drink mineral water

• Moderator Emeritus

It's important to plan for how you will manage anxiety without drugs.  Now is the time to start learning things like Cognitive Behaviour Technique, Emotional Freedom Technique, relaxing yoga poses, and meditation.  The more practiced you are, the better you will cope.  It sounds like you've already made a good start by altering your lifestyle a bit. 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 Now on 7 micro-beads of Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

A do ashtanga yoga everyday and consider it my coping technique number 1. I do also taraka : meditation on a candle flame. I feel the mindset will be crucial = to accept and let it be.

I am just thinking about have some psychotherapy. Selfhelp cbt or paid. Dont know yet.

2002 - MDMA induced psychosis, seroquel and st. worth. Abstinence from drugs. 2003 - psychosis relapse: olanzapin and citalec

2012 - 5mg of zyprexa and 150 Wellbutrin, starting with ayurveda helped
2015 - too fast and uniformed withdrawal; hospitalized and remedicated, first to 15mg Zyprexa; lowered to 10mg of Zyprexa when discharged. Abstinence from alcohol now on.

2016, sept – hospitalized again, forced treatment: 10 mg Zyprexa and 400mg amisulprid (Amilia).

2017 hospitalization (added abilify)

2018 so far last hospitalization

2019 heart palpitations, abrubt abilify withdrawal, stabilization on 5mg of olanzapin since then

Current medications and dosages:
5mg of olanzapin

Current supplements: Mentat (ayurvedic herbal blend for mental issues), St. worth (one cup a day), I drink mineral water

• 2 weeks later...

has anyone ever really taken the time to think about what's happening to them. I'm talking people that are "1-3" years out, have you guys ever thought that maybe you're in a severe anxiety loop ? I went 7 months thinking I was suffering from withdrawal before I figured out it could be anxiety, I tried a program to help with it and in less then a week I was almost symptom free. All withdrawal symptoms are also anxiety symptoms.

Very possible for some, the only reason I don't think that is the case for me is that I still have a lot of physical pain, and alcohol feels way different to me. Physical withdrawl or not, I am interested in the program. What is it called?

I wonder sometimes, what is the difference between withdrawal symptom and anxiety. Could it be that what we experience here is some kind of mix? maybe some of the anxiety is old (pre med) anxiety, stuff that never got worked out .

Interestingly, I was writing a diary before I knew about WD  syndrome.

going over what i wrote 8 months ago, when I started having the smptoms,  i can really see the waves, and the weirdness of the emotions, and that I was aware that something really weird is going on. 

So, i think there is a different between garden variety anxiety and WD induced anx. The latter feels really abnormal.

I mean, if you could characterize it by color,or texture, or feel, well, mine is a kind of phosphorescent horrible yellow that

really burns.

Anyway, dealing with it with whatever nonmedical way as is amply suggested in this site, REALLY helps.

Its just that its hard , long work, and you need lots of patience and endurance and staying power to get to see

little notches of improvement. But it does work, and ultimately, that is what matters.

2011 - Started Lexapro 10 mg. Did help with anxiety due to stressful circumstances

2012 (about 6 months later) - Taper for about 3 weeks, following Dr. instruction. Horrible WD symptoms, so

reinstated after about 3 months. (also Dr. instructions. ) No idea about protracted WDS

September 2012-November 2015 - Back to Lexapro 10 mg. which balanced the anxiety off. 

November 2015 - August 2016 - Gradual taper (10% at a time, then staying on new dose for three-four weeks).

Tapered for 9 months and it was ok. 

Last dose before I jumped off - about 1/25 mg. a week!

Then - Terrific WD symptoms. (Immediate, then protracted).

Spetmeber 2016 - Off meds 

Supplements: Fish oil, B complex, Magnesium

Hmm, in my case, being on psych meds long term has damaged my sleep system.   Any anxiety I have is due to not finding any help from sleep doctors and trying everything I can to think of to solve the problem to no avail.

Be careful about blaming anxiety for long term difficulties people are having with meds.   Just because you found it may be true in your case doesn't mean it is applicable to other folks.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• Moderator Emeritus

has anyone ever really taken the time to think about what's happening to them. I'm talking people that are "1-3" years out, have you guys ever thought that maybe you're in a severe anxiety loop ? I went 7 months thinking I was suffering from withdrawal before I figured out it could be anxiety, I tried a program to help with it and in less then a week I was almost symptom free. All withdrawal symptoms are also anxiety symptoms.

b305m, many of the people who are 1 - 3 years off were long term users. 

You don't have a signature, but according to your opening post, you were only on Zoloft for a week. 

Since you were placed on this drug to treat low mood after a football injury, it's possible that part of your anxiety was caused by your injury and not being able to play football for awhile. Being an athlete, not being able to exercise for awhile can definitely cause anxiety and depression symptoms. 

So your narrative is a lot different than most people on this forum. 

This post is great for describing how these drugs affect us, especially for long-term users:

How psychiatric drugs remodel the brain

I am so happy to read that you are feeling better, but it's important for members to understand that it's unlikely that any anxiety program will fix psychiatric drug withdrawal in a week. 

You are only 17 and it's so fortunate you are getting educated in these drugs now. It could save you a lifetime of pain. But please know that you really dodged a bullet by getting off your drug so quickly. It's best to avoid these drugs in the future because, again, it's unlikely that an anxiety program will fix the damage of withdrawal if you do try these drugs again and stay on them long term. Many people become dependent on antidepressants and antipsychotics within a month and benzodiazepines within 2 to 3 weeks. 

Most likely, you were dealing with an adverse reaction as opposed to antidepressant withdrawal. 

"Have you guys ever thought that maybe you're in a severe anxiety loop​".

Yes, certainly one of the curses of anxiety/depression, is being sucked into that downward spiral that is ever self-perpetuating.

• My therapist has pointed out to me, that this loop of anxiety and depression has kept me in a semi-permanent state of pain and chronic illness.

• My ND has advised me to meditate, exercise and try to remain positive or the healing won't happen.

• Then the purpose of the CBT is to question my harmful thoughts that said pain is catastrophic.

All of the bullets above are aimed at enabling us to step out of that pain cycle.

However they take time and effort to cultivate.

Dose History: 19 Feb 2014 - Escitalopram 10mg daily June 2015 - Started taper, 5mg every other day July 2015 - 5mg every 2 days August 2015 - 5mg every 3 days September 2015 - 5mg every 4 days Sept 14th - Completed tapering, but at 7 weeks "drug free" I suffered serious WD symptoms as a consequence of "incorrect" tapering. Nov 25 2015 - Re-instated Cipralex @ 2.5mg daily. WD symptoms faded. Held at this dose and experienced "windows and waves". 12 Oct 2017 Reduced dose to 1.25mg. 13 Mar 2018 Reduced dose to 0.625mg (approx.). 16 April 2018 0mg. Windows and waves triggered by stress (IBS/reflux, headaches, sinus issues) Aug 2019 Mirena coil fitted 6 Jan 2020 MAJOR Wave hit 19 months following last dose (protracted WD).  Symptoms listed below Mar 2020 Mirena coil removal.

Therapy: Nov 15th 2016 Re-started therapy Jan 19th 2017 Started CBT Dec 2017 Started listening to Hypnotherapy CD (self-esteem). Nov 2019 Started couples therapy.

Supplements: "Bioglan" Biotic Balance Ultimate Flora 10 billion CFU, live Bacteria, Probiotic, suitable for Vegetarians, with Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Rhamnosus, Bifidobacterium Longum"Pukka" Vitalise a unique blend of 30 energising botanicals.

Diet: 16 April 2018 Detox cleanse / anti-candida for 90 days. Jan 2020 Started "small plate" diet (i.e child size portions).

Exercise: Stretching, Yoga, Pilates, Spinning, Elliptical/upper body workout, walking.

Medical Test Results: 4 Jan 2017 Homeopathic Treatment starts 24 Feb 2017 Started weight loss program 24 Mar 2017 Naturopathic Treatment + anti-Candida diet started due to suspected Candida Related Complex (CRC). DETOXED for 7 weeks to "re-set" gut. April 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Comprehensive Stool Analysis NEGATIVE; Full Blood Count (Normal) / Blood Cholesterol: 5.6 (Borderline) / Blood Sugar (Normal) / 28 Jun 2017 FSH 8.2 / 14 Nov 2017 FSH 17.7 Dec 2017 Blood Cholesterol: 3.9 (Normal) / Kidney Function (Normal) / Blood Sugar (Normal). December 2017 "Genova Diagnostics" Food panel allergy (bloodwork) analysis - a few "VERY LOW/VL" allergens; Mar 2018 "Genova Diagnostics" SIBO urine analysis: High Level of Yeast/fungal markers found in small intestine but NO SIBO.  April 2018 Thyroid (Normal) / Full Blood Count (Normal) / FSH (Normal). 16 April 2018 Started anti-Candida diet - 3 month protocol.   25 March 2020 All test results "Normal". CRP" 5 mg/L (normal range to 0-5 mg/L).

Symptoms:  Flu-like symptoms, anxiety, anhedonia, sinus headaches right-side (severe), IBS issues/reflux (severe)**, tinnitus, fatigue, inner tremor, nausea, chills/hot flushes, pounding heart, muscular issues including stiff left hip flexor, intense anger, PSSD (ongoing).  **Histhamine intolerance (suspected).

Major Life Events: 

Re-located to UK from Canada: Jan 2016

My father died: 5:05pm, Monday 5 Feb 2018 Last Lexapro dose: 16 April 2018 (its now been over a year since I quit ADs)  Moved house: Friday 23rd February 2018  "Divorced" toxic Mother: Monday 26 March 2018 Starting working again: 19 November 2018  Diagnosed with: 5th August 2021 PTSD/C-PTSD Diagnosed with: March 2022 Interstitial Cystitis (IC)/Painful bladder syndrome

I've wondered this too.  Books relating to chronic pain and psychological states have been written by John Sarno, MD.  I have wondered about this problem from the "psychological" perspective as well.  I don't know if it's possible to draw the line between what is physical and what is psychological.  Of course, the psychiatrists would have us all believe that our problems are purely psychological.  

Sarno has proposed the term "TMS" (Tension Myositis Syndrome) as the manifestation of physical problems (along with "foggy thinking") as a result of psychological causes.  What's interesting, is that there are many very similar symptoms that TMS sufferers share, such as focalized areas of physical pain that are in the exact same locations on different people.  Many sufferers have brought their symptoms under almost complete control with mind/body techniques.  I think in the case of TMS, there is a psychological and physical component.  The brain is a physical structure that generates psychological activity.  In all regards, the mechanisms behind this are almost entirely unknown.  Cark Jung, one of the last competent psychiatrists, posited that mind and matter are actually different expressions of the same material.  Who knows...

My gut feeling is that there is a blend of the "physical" and "psychological" going on.  As for the balance, for some people it might be 10% psychological, for others it might be 90%.  My gut feeling is that our problems are, at least in part, made worse by psychological states.

In short, I don't know the answer to the questions that you've brought up.  I'm extremely glad that you did bring them up, though.  I think that this is an important direction from which to address our problems.  The more people that try to look at things from a "fix your mind, fix your brain" point of view, the more we can exchange information and see if this approach actually leads anywhere.  

I think this would be a great topic for a new sub-forum!

As for my own contribution to this line of inquiry, I was tapering very slowly over the course of a year.  I had to arrest tapering when I started to experience greater than usual symptoms.  These symptoms appeared during a period of great stress, when I had injured myself.  I feel that the stress of the injury exacerbated the effects of tapering on my nervous system.

various SSRI for years

20 mg Lyrica 2010

30 mg to 0 mg Prozac 2012

Reinstate 20 mg Prozac 2012

Drop to 19 mg Prozac 2013

Reinstate 20 mg Prozac 1 month later (2013)

Gradual decrease of Prozac dosage starting in late summer of 2015, currently at 11.2 mg/day

use of vitamin D3, fish oil, and magnesium at various times

Very possible for some, the only reason I don't think that is the case for me is that I still have a lot of physical pain, and alcohol feels way different to me. Physical withdrawl or not, I am interested in the program. What is it called?

Look up "Panic away" it's absolutely amazing once you really get into it no matter how impossible it sounds it does work wonders and will help with a lot of stuff. Good book and very scientific

I've wondered this too.  Books relating to chronic pain and psychological states have been written by John Sarno, MD.  I have wondered about this problem from the "psychological" perspective as well.  I don't know if it's possible to draw the line between what is physical and what is psychological.  Of course, the psychiatrists would have us all believe that our problems are purely psychological.  

Sarno has proposed the term "TMS" (Tension Myositis Syndrome) as the manifestation of physical problems (along with "foggy thinking") as a result of psychological causes.  What's interesting, is that there are many very similar symptoms that TMS sufferers share, such as focalized areas of physical pain that are in the exact same locations on different people.  Many sufferers have brought their symptoms under almost complete control with mind/body techniques.  I think in the case of TMS, there is a psychological and physical component.  The brain is a physical structure that generates psychological activity.  In all regards, the mechanisms behind this are almost entirely unknown.  Cark Jung, one of the last competent psychiatrists, posited that mind and matter are actually different expressions of the same material.  Who knows...

My gut feeling is that there is a blend of the "physical" and "psychological" going on.  As for the balance, for some people it might be 10% psychological, for others it might be 90%.  My gut feeling is that our problems are, at least in part, made worse by psychological states.

In short, I don't know the answer to the questions that you've brought up.  I'm extremely glad that you did bring them up, though.  I think that this is an important direction from which to address our problems.  The more people that try to look at things from a "fix your mind, fix your brain" point of view, the more we can exchange information and see if this approach actually leads anywhere.  

I think this would be a great topic for a new sub-forum!

As for my own contribution to this line of inquiry, I was tapering very slowly over the course of a year.  I had to arrest tapering when I started to experience greater than usual symptoms.  These symptoms appeared during a period of great stress, when I had injured myself.  I feel that the stress of the injury exacerbated the effects of tapering on my nervous system.

Very true, I think a lot of people are gunna have some sort of anxiety problem after their WD too and it could help. But a lot of stuff about anxiety really makes sense with WD symptoms and how you can constantly have Physical symptoms even when you're not anxious because of a hypersensitive nervous system. Really calms the mind too

Good question

I feel that most of the symptoms are psychological and come from the problem that has returned

I would love to hear more opinions

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg
5-8/2015 taper zoloft 12.5 mg every 2 weeks
3/2016 -11/16 lexapro 20 mg

taper lexapro every month by 30%

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

b305,

All I know is that I am really happy that there is always another self help or non drug therapy to try or learn and grow into.  Glad that you benefited so well.

I'm a long termer, as far as the drugging by shrinks went and 1-3 years out and no........I don't think that I'm in a severe anxiety loop.  I struggle with some symptoms of withdrawal........thankfully not nearly as severe as what happened symptom wise in the beginning.  That "panic or ??anxiety loop" was out of this world suffering.  Pacing, inability to think, snappish, etc..........it was exhausting and I am ever thankful that I survived.

Yah.....this might be considered as a good place to work that program you mention with others.  And do........ continue your self education and find ways to help others to stay off these harmful drugs so readily prescribed.

Thanks for your input.

Love, peace, healing, and growth.....

manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

b305,

All I know is that I am really happy that there is always another self help or non drug therapy to try or learn and grow into.  Glad that you benefited so well.

I'm a long termer, as far as the drugging by shrinks went and 1-3 years out and no........I don't think that I'm in a severe anxiety loop.  I struggle with some symptoms of withdrawal........thankfully not nearly as severe as what happened symptom wise in the beginning.  That "panic or ??anxiety loop" was out of this world suffering.  Pacing, inability to think, snappish, etc..........it was exhausting and I am ever thankful that I survived.

Yah.....this might be considered as a good place to work that program you mention with others.  And do........ continue your self education and find ways to help others to stay off these harmful drugs so readily prescribed.

Thanks for your input.

Love, peace, healing, and growth.....

manymoretodays

how long you was on drugs?

how long taper?

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Roughly 28-30 years and about that many prescribed drugs in all those years.  Hard to say on taper time with all of them....... because with some of them I just didn't know to taper and went rather quickly.  Not what I would recommend to anyone coming off multi drugs or single drugs for that matter.......could be too harmful.  That's what this site is all about.......safe reductions and then support for withdrawal.  There's a ton of information here.  Lot's of coping skills.   Started getting off them around 2008 or 10.

I'll get my recovery/success story written soon.  And feel free to plod through my intro. if it helps you in any way.

Best,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

I looked up Panic Away, and it looks like a commercial site, looking to profit on other people's misery.

It may be a good program, but I'm suspicious of slick, and extremely suspicious of "screening tests."

You have to subscribe to get your results - it feels like phishing to me.  The quiz indicated that I had a panic score of 20, with 24 being the max "problematic" score, and 6 being the lowest problematic score.  In other words, EVERYONE has anxiety.  (my symptoms are more around fatigue, pain, and adrenal issues, but hey - this guy says I have anxiety, and can use his program.)

There is a lot of really good information on SA for free.  If you want to pay for a program, that's your business.  At least they don't recommend drugs.

CBT  and Mindfulness (which this is based on)  helps withdrawals best if you have built up a bank of practice before coming off the drugs.  

When in withdrawal, that panic is chemical, and unless you are comfortable and have a practice - reaching for these tools can lead to great disappointment.

There is plenty of information here on site about non-drug methods of coping.  I suggest the excellent Dealing with Emotional Spirals by BrassMonkey to deal with "anxiety loops." and Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Roughly 28-30 years and about that many prescribed drugs in all those years.  Hard to say on taper time with all of them....... because with some of them I just didn't know to taper and went rather quickly.  Not what I would recommend to anyone coming off multi drugs or single drugs for that matter.......could be too harmful.  That's what this site is all about.......safe reductions and then support for withdrawal.  There's a ton of information here.  Lot's of coping skills.   Started getting off them around 2008 or 10.

I'll get my recovery/success story written soon.  And feel free to plod through my intro. if it helps you in any way.

Best,

mmt

so you 3 yeears free of drugs?

how long last the withdarawll symptoms?

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

I looked up Panic Away, and it looks like a commercial site, looking to profit on other people's misery.

It may be a good program, but I'm suspicious of slick, and extremely suspicious of "screening tests."

You have to subscribe to get your results - it feels like phishing to me.  The quiz indicated that I had a panic score of 20, with 24 being the max "problematic" score, and 6 being the lowest problematic score.  In other words, EVERYONE has anxiety.  (my symptoms are more around fatigue, pain, and adrenal issues, but hey - this guy says I have anxiety, and can use his program.)

There is a lot of really good information on SA for free.  If you want to pay for a program, that's your business.  At least they don't recommend drugs.

CBT  and Mindfulness (which this is based on)  helps withdrawals best if you have built up a bank of practice before coming off the drugs.  

When in withdrawal, that panic is chemical, and unless you are comfortable and have a practice - reaching for these tools can lead to great disappointment.

There is plenty of information here on site about non-drug methods of coping.  I suggest the excellent Dealing with Emotional Spirals by BrassMonkey to deal with "anxiety loops." and Non Drug Techniques for Coping with Emotional Symptoms

did you try cbt before taper?

does it helped you with withdrawalls?

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lorin,

No.....I just got off my last drug/med in December of 2016 after tapering. Oxcarbazepine/trileptal.

The severe withdrawal as far as what could be described as severe anxiety or panic came after my Lexapro withdrawal..... and then a bit more after I came off 2.5mg. of Adderal.  Like JC said above, other symptoms too.  I guess chemical would be a good way to describe how my earlier stuff felt. 

It's been almost 3 years for me since coming off the Lexapro.

I still have some withdrawal symptoms from time to time but am functional again........nothing like the severity I once had.  Long windows.

I don't feel like most of my symptoms are psychological, some are, some aren't.  It's more complicated than that I believe.  You'll gain a different understanding after you do some of your own research and reading......here, and I would definitely read "Anatomy of an Epidemic" by Robert Whitaker or some of the other books mentioned around here.   I did do cbt and other therapies during and before withdrawal and also continue to along with other healing modalities.

Hope that answers your questions. :)

Best,

mmt

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Lorin, I had a number of non-drug skills, meditation, yoga, mindfulness.  By the time DBT came around, I had been sitting Zen, doing yoga, meditating, doing tai chi - so - it seemed rudimentary (but rudimentary is appropriate for DBT).

But I've worked on shifting cognitive framing, and yes, I did it before my taper.  Having a practice, having skills, helped immensely.

However, my Zen sitting was BEFORE my major drugging - so - I got lost in the waves of withdrawal back in the 90's, when doctors said "take more, take different, add this, switch to that."  My real bear for withdrawal was Wellbutrin (not the hardest journey, I know) but every time I tried to decrease my dose (by half - I didn't know any better, and they were specially coated pills, I couldn't imagine cracking them open or putting them in liquid) I became so fatigued that I couldn't get out of bed.  I cried, and suffered, and thought I was deficient, a failure, broken brain.  So I stayed on it for years, and, naturally, got more and more drugged as the years went by.  (about 20 years all up of constant drugging, though I'd tried prozac and tricyclics prior).

In a way, the drugging was a relief - because - there are times when all the non-drug coping skills in the world cannot override the chemical mood shifting.  I thought, "ah, I have a broken brain.  All the zen sitting in the world won't fix this, I'll take the drugs." and no longer felt like it was my fault that I couldn't control my mood.  

The knowledge here at SA made my final tapers quite smooth.  I never again got to that state of emergency called "withdrawal," and it pains me when I see people coming here in a panic - because - I know what it feels like - but the knowledge which is here - isn't available at your doctor's office.

Now, without the drugs, without the drag of the chemicals, there are a zillion things I can do to control my mood.  But it was SA tapering that got me through withdrawals smoothly (even though I had a large tool kit of techniques, and used many of them while tapering).

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

• Mentor

I don't think that most of us are in an anxiety loop- the anxiety/panic/dread/terror are far beyond any kind of "normal" anxiety symptoms I've ever experienced, and I have severe PTSD, so I am on close terms with anxiety, believe me. lol

I do think though, that when the chemically caused feeling of anxiety/panic hits, we can keep it going longer than it *might* by thinking that there must be a reason for it, looking for a cause, for a real threat to explain this awful feeling, and in that way, we can end up in a loop that may prolong our suffering.

I know even now, if I get hit with anxiety again, I will find myself looking at things OUTSIDE of myself as causes for the feeling, totally forgetting that it's a withdrawal symptom that is caused by the chemicals and hormones sorting themselves out in my brain.

and then I will try to avoid or fix those external things, thinking that will help- but it won't, because it's JUST a very unpleasant sensation caused by my brain and NOT my thinking.

this is very very hard to grasp and deal with, and it continues to be the place where I get caught up. There are places in my own home, and music and words and tv shows, that all seem to "cause" fear, but they are just things that my thoughts were resting on when I experienced the chemically caused sensation of panic, so I THINK that they are scary things, but of course, they are not.

I have to find a way to STOP myself from falling into the trap that because I feel fear, there must be something to be afraid of.

If you've got any ideas, I"m open to them!!

• pysch med history: 1974 @ age 18 to Oct 2017 (approx 43 yrs total) 
  •  Drug list: stelazine, haldol, elavil, lithium, zoloft, celexa, lexapro(doses as high as 40mgs), klonopin, ambien, seroquel(high doses), depakote, zyprexa, lamictal- plus brief trials of dozens of other psych meds over the years
  • started lexapro 2002, dose varied from 20mgs to 40mgs. First attempt to get off it was 2007- WD symptoms were mistaken for "relapse". 
  •  2013 too fast taper down to 5mg but WD forced me back to 20mgs
  •  June of 2105, tapered again too rapidly to 2.5mgs by Dec 2015. Found SA, held at 2.5 mgs til May 2016 when I foolishly "jumped off". felt ok until  Sept, then acute WD hit!!  reinstated at 0.3mgs in Oct. 2106
  • Tapered off to zero by  Oct. 2017 Doing very well. 
  • Nov. 2018 feel 95% healed, age 63 
  • Jan. 2020 feel 100% healed, peaceful and content
  • Dec 2023 Loving life! ❤️ with all it's ups and downs ;) 

Hey Lorin, I had a number of non-drug skills, meditation, yoga, mindfulness.  By the time DBT came around, I had been sitting Zen, doing yoga, meditating, doing tai chi - so - it seemed rudimentary (but rudimentary is appropriate for DBT).

But I've worked on shifting cognitive framing, and yes, I did it before my taper.  Having a practice, having skills, helped immensely.

However, my Zen sitting was BEFORE my major drugging - so - I got lost in the waves of withdrawal back in the 90's, when doctors said "take more, take different, add this, switch to that."  My real bear for withdrawal was Wellbutrin (not the hardest journey, I know) but every time I tried to decrease my dose (by half - I didn't know any better, and they were specially coated pills, I couldn't imagine cracking them open or putting them in liquid) I became so fatigued that I couldn't get out of bed.  I cried, and suffered, and thought I was deficient, a failure, broken brain.  So I stayed on it for years, and, naturally, got more and more drugged as the years went by.  (about 20 years all up of constant drugging, though I'd tried prozac and tricyclics prior).

In a way, the drugging was a relief - because - there are times when all the non-drug coping skills in the world cannot override the chemical mood shifting.  I thought, "ah, I have a broken brain.  All the zen sitting in the world won't fix this, I'll take the drugs." and no longer felt like it was my fault that I couldn't control my mood.  

The knowledge here at SA made my final tapers quite smooth.  I never again got to that state of emergency called "withdrawal," and it pains me when I see people coming here in a panic - because - I know what it feels like - but the knowledge which is here - isn't available at your doctor's office.

Now, without the drugs, without the drag of the chemicals, there are a zillion things I can do to control my mood.  But it was SA tapering that got me through withdrawals smoothly (even though I had a large tool kit of techniques, and used many of them while tapering).

hi

tell me please

did you taper all your drugs 10% a month?

so you didnt have withdrawall because of the slow taper?

thanx

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Lorin - 

I did dry cutting, so my tapers weren't exactly 10% per month.  If a taper was more (I think 15% was maximum cut on a few occasions), I would hold longer, or if I had any symptoms I would hold longer.  I came to trust that the holds were healing me, and that I would know when to cut.  I never went into full blown withdrawal, but I did have windows and waves, mostly emotional.

My withdrawals were in the 90's, when the docs were experimenting on me to find "the right cocktail" for my "diagnosis."  I had CT's, cold switches, and one doctor actually did cross tapers taking 2 months that were pretty symptom free.  When I decided that I wanted off the Wellbutrin, I would cut it in half, and suffer.  Then I'd increase it again, and suffer some more.  Nobody told me how it worked, until I found SA.

I do believe that the slow, careful taper is the best way to manage symptoms.  Notice I didn't say avoid them - but manage them.  I could control when my tapers were - so I could decide whether or not to decrease, or how long to hold - or - that my life was too stressful, and hold some more.

I believe in the method so much, that I work here to help others.  I don't have to, it's volunteer, unpaid work - but it would mean a lot to me if I could help people not suffer from these drugs, help people escape this awful trap.  The suffering from the drugs (and the way the doctors use them) is way too common, and if there were another way for these people to get help, I'd quit.  If there were a sea change in doctors, pharmacists, prescription benefit schemes, insurance, and pharmaceutical companies - and they stopped giving these drugs out like candy - I could leave.   But right now, SA is at the leading edge of helping people out of difficult drugs.  And I believe that the harm reduction method here works.  So I throw my back into it, and help.

Hey Lorin - 

I did dry cutting, so my tapers weren't exactly 10% per month.  If a taper was more (I think 15% was maximum cut on a few occasions), I would hold longer, or if I had any symptoms I would hold longer.  I came to trust that the holds were healing me, and that I would know when to cut.  I never went into full blown withdrawal, but I did have windows and waves, mostly emotional.

My withdrawals were in the 90's, when the docs were experimenting on me to find "the right cocktail" for my "diagnosis."  I had CT's, cold switches, and one doctor actually did cross tapers taking 2 months that were pretty symptom free.  When I decided that I wanted off the Wellbutrin, I would cut it in half, and suffer.  Then I'd increase it again, and suffer some more.  Nobody told me how it worked, until I found SA.

I do believe that the slow, careful taper is the best way to manage symptoms.  Notice I didn't say avoid them - but manage them.  I could control when my tapers were - so I could decide whether or not to decrease, or how long to hold - or - that my life was too stressful, and hold some more.

I believe in the method so much, that I work here to help others.  I don't have to, it's volunteer, unpaid work - but it would mean a lot to me if I could help people not suffer from these drugs, help people escape this awful trap.  The suffering from the drugs (and the way the doctors use them) is way too common, and if there were another way for these people to get help, I'd quit.  If there were a sea change in doctors, pharmacists, prescription benefit schemes, insurance, and pharmaceutical companies - and they stopped giving these drugs out like candy - I could leave.   But right now, SA is at the leading edge of helping people out of difficult drugs.  And I believe that the harm reduction method here works.  So I throw my back into it, and help.

So you did not have withdrawal symptoms at all?

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lorin, 

I'm just thinking you should probably go ahead and do an official introduction/journal page.  I looked and couldn't find one in your topics.  JanCarol has given you some links up above in her replies to you which you might find helpful.  She can probably link you easily to the "how to do an introduction/journal" as well.  I tried to copy and paste but was unable to. 

You can go to Forums, and then to Introductions and updates, then go to the 2nd locked topic down(you can't comment on locked topics but can read)..........  to learn how to do this as well.

That's a good way to get more personalized information for your situation if you are interested in further "harm reduction" tapering advice and support.

I think.......that we all go through some withdrawal symptoms..........well, I can't speak for everyone in the world but.........with Lexapro and so many of the different classes of antidepressants.........given a few months or less of taking them even..........I think we do.  And it is good to be prepared and be safe with what you choose to do.

Best,

mmt

Hi Lorin, 

I'm just thinking you should probably go ahead and do an official introduction/journal page.  I looked and couldn't find one in your topics.  JanCarol has given you some links up above in her replies to you which you might find helpful.  She can probably link you easily to the "how to do an introduction/journal" as well.  I tried to copy and paste but was unable to. 

You can go to Forums, and then to Introductions and updates, then go to the 2nd locked topic down(you can't comment on locked topics but can read)..........  to learn how to do this as well.

That's a good way to get more personalized information for your situation if you are interested in further "harm reduction" tapering advice and support.

I think.......that we all go through some withdrawal symptoms..........well, I can't speak for everyone in the world but.........with Lexapro and so many of the different classes of antidepressants.........given a few months or less of taking them even..........I think we do.  And it is good to be prepared and be safe with what you choose to do.

Best,

mmt

I did not understand what is official introduction/journal?
  I document my withdrawal in my card. Can you see?
I can not taper slowly because of terrible side effects from the drug itself unfortunately :-(

2007-2015- zoloft 100 mg

11/4/17-lexapro 3.5 mg

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Lorin,

Here is the link which you can click on to take you to your Introduction / Journal topic:  lorin-taper-by-peter-breggin-recomedation-an-important-question

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks ChessieCat.  Sorry about that.......I didn't realize that was Lorin's intro.  :wacko:

Okay Lorin.......yes I can see it now.  I did not realize that was your introduction/journal.  Looked like a lot of good information being shared with you there.  So that is your main page that can act as a journal for you......... as well as a record of where you were when you first arrived at SA..........also for questions and updates from you.

It looks like ChessieCat is working with you there as well.......... to help you understand the possibilities of what might be going on with you and your Lexapro, and give you more information to help guide your decisions.  She is one of the moderators here as is JanCarol.  They are excellent.

I'll try and check on in over there and see what's what when I get a chance.

Best,

mmt 

As far as anxiety is concerned, I have discovered an herb that does wonders for me. It's called mulungu, and it is the powdered bark of a tree that grows in Central and South America. It is said to be a potent as Valium and I can vouch for that. The great thing about it is there are no known side effects from using it. Not well-known in the U.S.,  but has been used by various ethnic groups and indigenous people for a very long time. Read all about mulungu.

I use a teaspoon of the dried bark powder put into a cup and a half of boiling water, then simmered for 15 minutes. Tastes fine, a bit earthy.

I'm curious to find out if people who formerly used Valium think it is comparable.

Paroxetine: rapid taper, off completely as of 4/15/17

• Moderator Emeritus

We generally don't recommend experiments.  Do you know whether it is metabolized in liver or kidney?   Does it hit the GABA receptors of the brain? (Yes, it does - so benzo sufferers should never touch it!)   Do you know if it reacts with any other supplements?   For example, it is not to be taken with blood pressure medicine.  That's what I found on a quick search.  

It's fine if one person wants to experiment on themselves, but recommending it for others has a higher standard of care.

Personally, I find that a magnesium chloride bath compares quite favorably to valium.    And it doesn't fiddle neurotransmitters, is supportive, and nourishing.  I have confidence recommending it to others.

Points well taken, JanCarol. Thanks for being rigorous about the need for safety regarding any supplement, since they could aggravate existing issues or even cause new ones. I will be more careful in the future and pass along evidence-based information rather than personal endorsements that aren't necessarily supported by facts.

Paroxetine: rapid taper, off completely as of 4/15/17

Akathisia can be a withdrawal symptom and also a side effect of the medicine...it's often confused with anxiety, leading doctors to prescribe more of the SSRI or anti-psychotic, making the problem worse!! Realizing this saved me.

https://rxisk.org/akathisia/

Anxiety tips:

1. When panicking, holding ice, getting in a really hot bath, running or doing push ups can be good bc your heart is racing due to a threat it doesn't understand...when you give it a real reason to race and then take it away...your heart feels the threat is removed and will slow down a bit. Plus your mind will focus on that pain instead of on the more painful racing negative thoughts. In some messed up way, it's like a less harmful version of cutting.
2. Lavender oil is very calming, and smell is the only sense with a direct pathway to the amygdala which is the part of your brain associated with mood and emotions. Smells that remind you of happy times work as well. 
3. Warm baths helped me more than anything. Increasing body temperature can help regulate mood. Sometimes, putting cold water on for a little helps as well bc that can help circulation and increase oxygen. Switching back and forth can help with the chills/hot flashes that come with withdrawal.
4. After bath, I put towel down on floor and did some stretches to open chest and hips bc that's where we carry a lot of grief. I recommend making it part of a morning routine.
5. Writing affirmations on paper with a  pencil or pen can be therapeutic. Find words that resonate with you - simple sentences. It sounds silly, but it actually helped. I used "I am safe", "for today, i will stay present with my healing", and "i give myself permission to believe that, regardless of what happens, I am loved."
6. If people are pissing you off, but you know you shouldn't be confrontational in this state, write them letters that you don't send.
7. Fresh air really helps, even if you just open a window.
8. The mornings are the worst bc of Cortisol.
9. Google Alternate Nostril Breathing and do that for longer than feels comfortable. Also, when taking deep breaths, the exhale should be longer than the inhale and is more important, but if you do it for a really long time, make them equal so you don't get light-headed.
10. There's a good mediation app called "Insight Timer" and another called "Calm".
11. I read a book called "Love Warrior" that was a good distraction and very relatable. If you have stress relating to a toxic relationship, "Women Who Love Too Much" is also a great book.
12. Binge on a Netflix series to distract your mind. The Moth app is good for that also if watching is too hard.
13. Hugging or cuddling releases oxytocin and can really calm stress. Massages obviously help a ton as well. 
14. Imagine a happy place in detail - the smells, sounds, textures etc...for a proper amount of time. Get lost there.
15. Talk to yourself and tell yourself the things you wish someone would say to you to calm you down. You'll feel crazy at first, but it helps.
16. People who've had easy experiences don't write on message boards, but there are plenty. So don't get discouraged only reading horror stories on here. They're the worst cases.
17. Reframe the way you view stress: 
and view the symptoms as your body healing itself which is a good thing!
18. Vitamins: B6, B12, D, C, Magnesium, extra EPA Omega 3
19. Focus on today. Making big changes to address the underlying issues that caused the original anxiety and depression are things to consider once you're stable. And whatever in your life is getting messed up bc of the state you're in, focus on fixing those later when you're better as well. Be honest with work, family, friends etc and hope for compassion. In the meantime, think of the next right thing to do and the next breath. One thing at a time, one moment at a time. Everything else will be much less daunting and easier to fix when your biochemistry isn't going haywire...so cut yourself some slack.

Important Information

Terms of Use Privacy Policy