alizarin: Debilitating Insomnia Help

alizarin

feel awful can't type much so sorry

Current Meds:

Klonopin 1.9 mg (anxiety /insomnia) 10 years, began taper then stopped. Currently forced to drop to 1.5 mg.

Remeron 7.5 mg (insomnia, nausea, GI issues) stopped taper

Propylthiouracil 25 mg (for Graves')

Past Meds:

Lexapro 10 mg, CT 1.5 years ago without researching. Taken for 9 years.

Trazadone 300 mg (insomnia), lowered BP, suffered vasovagal syncope, a fall required surgery for dental trauma.

Propranolol, 10 mg, during hospitalization for hyperthyroidism, 3.5 weeks, then switched to Cartia for 3 weeks. Dr C/T both.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alizarin

• Meimeiquest

• Wildflower0214

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello: -) I'm so sorry you are suffering. Please hang in there. This might be a stupid question are you sure your not sleeping but just don't realize it? Because I have done this. In the beginning of my problems my anxiety was so high I would fall asleep and wake up swearing I had not slept at all. This went on for quite a while. I would even fight with my wife because she told me I had and I didn't believe her. I only excepted it when she said I had been snoring. Just a thought. I hope you feel some relief real soon take care of your self: -)

sorry i didn't respond earlier but i'm just physically exhausted from not sleeping for so many months.

but to answer your question, yes, i am sure. i keep pen and paper on my nightstand and as soon as i go to bed, i mark the time, when i wake up, i mark the time which lately is 25-30 minutes after taking klonopin and remeron. then when i wake up, i take more magnesium, now taurine that someone recommended, plus either calms forte or alteril. last night i even took both. i just try to close my eyes but im definitely not sleeping. the pounding migraine is also a reminder and the fact that i can't drive, concentrate, or get anything done. i've essentially become an oxygen thief. utterly useless.

Current Meds:

Klonopin 1.9 mg (anxiety /insomnia) 10 years, began taper then stopped. Currently forced to drop to 1.5 mg.

Past Meds:

Trazadone 300 mg (insomnia), lowered BP, suffered vasovagal syncope, a fall required surgery for dental trauma.

Propranolol, 10 mg, during hospitalization for hyperthyroidism, 3.5 weeks, then switched to Cartia for 3 weeks. Dr C/T both.

I'm sorry but hang in there your not useless. You will get better. I went through No natural sleep for months after I quit lexapro 20 mg cold. one night I just stopped sleeping. I took Xanax and seraquil every night for months just to get some sleep. Then it started coming back slowly now I don't have to take any thing .I still have sleep issues but nothing like it was.

Lexapro 1 1/8 mg and 10 mg Propranolol. I jumped down to 2.5 mg lexapro from 5 mg on oct 2 where I had been for 7 months and went from 2.5 mg to 1 1/8 mg not sure when maybe around nov 2 went back up to 2.5 mg December 30 . May 13 small cut lexapro 2.5 mg down to 2.4 mg 9/4/14 dropped 8.33% to 2.2 mg 10/13/14 dropped to 2mg lexapro. Back up to 2.2 mg 10/15/14. Dropped to 2 mg lexapro 11/26/14. Dropped 10% to 1.8 mg lexapro 1/11/15. 2/23/15 . Cut of 5%.

3/11/15 cut of 5% 5/3/15 cut of 5% 6/3/15 cut of 5% 7/19/15 cut of 5%. Continued small cuts of 5% every six weeks or so untill October 8th 2016 ,last dose . Last dose was 0.8mg. Currently taking 10 mg propranolol in the afternoon. 1400mg fish oil. 250 mg magnesium, 250 mg L-Taurine, 500 mg Tumeric. 40 mg Zocore simvistatin.

I have no personal experience with this at all, but I saw an integrative psychiatrist yesterday and he said he has seen patients get the most help for complex sleep issues from genesaliving.com's Total Amino Solution. His recommendation to me personally was to ramp up the supplements I am already taking as I know I tolerate them at some level.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

I'm sorry but hang in there your not useless. You will get better. I went through No natural sleep for months after I quit lexapro 20 mg cold. one night I just stopped sleeping. I took Xanax and seraquil every night for months just to get some sleep. Then it started coming back slowly now I don't have to take any thing .I still have sleep issues but nothing like it was.

Lobster,

Thank you SO much for briefly explaining your case to me. I was honestly beginning to think I was just an oddity in terms of symptoms that won't budge. Is it ok if I PM you regarding all of this? I've pretty much reached the end of my rope with insomnia. And I KNOW sleeplessness is what triggers and intensifies the ideations and dp/dr. Again, thank you! That's exactly how it happened to me. Literally. One night, after sleeping 8 hours for my lifetime, I just stopped sleeping. Just like that. No warning. Nothing but insomnia.

Thanks again!

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

I have no personal experience with this at all, but I saw an integrative psychiatrist yesterday and he said he has seen patients get the most help for complex sleep issues from genesaliving.com's Total Amino Solution. His recommendation to me personally was to ramp up the supplements I am already taking as I know I tolerate them at some level.

Meime,

I took a look at the ingredients in the supplement and it appears that I'm already taking most of it in other supplements. Unfortunately, I'm already on too many supplements as it is and have to think about what to reduce, actually. I think that would be a good question to ask, perhaps in the Symptoms/ Self Care section. However, thanks for the suggestion.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

A,

Sorry to hear of your insomnia issues.

I too am experiencing the same issues.

hang in there!

Thinking of you!

April 2014 remeron 45mg.

June 2014 abilify 2.5 remeron wasn't working so abilify was then added

September 2014 woke up with anxiety x 100!!!!

Pdoc then took me from 45 to 7.5 within a month and took abilify from 2.5 to 0

Currently

Remeron 7.5

Vitamin d 5,000 iu taking for about 3 years

October 2014 added fish oil/omega 3 1000 mg per day

Levothyroxitine 100 10 years or so

Dec 2014 started tapering 10% every 10 days-no problems.

August 2015 down to 0.1 mg

Woke up with severe anxiety-sleep issues-racing thoughts-depression. 9/9/15 up dose 1 mg.

Second time this month where, after taking all the junk I've been prescribed, I still cannot manage to fall asleep if only for a few minutes. What does this mean?

I believe my sleep has gotten worse. And I stopped caffeine last month. Now I'm doing light yoga meant for sleep and relaxation before bed, I have almond milk and a bit of honey, I take magnesium and taurine, I meditate... I'm so sick and tired of having to go through this whole performance/ ritual just to get some sleep. Before, I just closed my eyes and fell asleep when I wanted.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

This marks the third night I cannot fall asleep at the usual time I was doing so previously (10:00 PM). Yesterday, I slept after 4 AM for a few minutes and today I slept after 3 AM, again for a few minutes.

I've been taking Remeron now since July, since this site has suggested I hold and stabilize. The Remeron no longer aids with the onset of sleep. The Klonopin, I feel, has no effect, it's basically being taken to prevent seizures or hellish wd. This is how I feel when I take the drugs at night.

I wanted to update this since my sleep pattern has changed 3 days ago and not sure what to do. My hair is now falling off and I have red bags under my eyes.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

This marks the third night I cannot fall asleep at the usual time I was doing so previously (10:00 PM). Yesterday, I slept after 4 AM for a few minutes and today I slept after 3 AM, again for a few minutes.

I've been taking Remeron now since July, since this site has suggested I hold and stabilize. The Remeron no longer aids with the onset of sleep. The Klonopin, I feel, has no effect, it's basically being taken to prevent seizures or hellish wd. This is how I feel when I take the drugs at night.

I wanted to update this since my sleep pattern has changed 3 days ago and not sure what to do. My hair is now falling off and I have red bags under my eyes.

Alizarin,

Your loss of hair may be from the Remeron. I would lose a lot of hair when I was on it. Luckily my hair is really thick. I got off of the remeron back in August and I am not losing anymore hair.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Alizarin,

Your loss of hair may be from the Remeron. I would lose a lot of hair when I was on it. Luckily my hair is really thick. I got off of the remeron back in August and I am not losing anymore hair.

Really? I'm getting clumps and clumps falling off, daily. I just run my hands through my hair and a bunch falls off! This is crazy.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

Please, can I have a mod's opinion?

My hair is falling off and I haven't had a bowel movement in 2 days. This is highly unusual for me and I think it's the Remeron. Should I start tapering the Remeron?

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

Hi Alizarin,

When my hair came out it did not come out in clumps but when I would comb it, what did come out would fill my comb. Also, it would fill the drain in my bathtub when I washed my hair sometimes making it hard for the water to drain. I definitely lost more hair than usual on the Remeron so I'm pretty sure that in my case Remeron was the cause.

I'm sure the mods will be along to help you with the taper advice. It looks from your sig that you are on a benzo and the remeron. From my understanding here, they recommend tapering the AD first.

Prozac 1999-2009 quit semi cold turkey.

2012 Placed on Seroquel 25 mg, Tranxene (Clorezepate) 3.75 mg 3x a day, Remeron 30 mg for anxiety/akathesia.

Weaned off Seroquel and Tranxene .to Remeron 15 Mg.

In May 2014 tried quitting Remeron at its lowest dose. Had severe withdrawals.Reinstated Remeron at 30 mg by doctor. August 5 2014 entered hospital. Doctor pulled the Remeron and bridged it to Pamelor (Nortriptyline) 40mg and Zyprexa 2.5mg.After removing the Remeron all my bad symptoms went away and I am stable.

9/11/14 - 7.5 mg tranxene, 40mg Pamelor, Zyprexa 2.5mg

12/29/14 -  20mg Pamelor, 1/6/15,  7/31/15 3.5mg, 8/10/15 3.2 mg, 9/15/15 2.2mg, 10/15/15 1.8mg

(Feb 2016 - 1.4mg Pamelor only -  OFF OF TRANXENE AND ZYPREXA SINCE DEC 2014 BENZO FREE Since 2014. Nortrityline (Pamelor) .8mg Aug 2016

March 2017 DRUG FREE

Hi Chicken,

Thanks for responding. If I run my hands through my hair, most of the time now, many many strands will come off. I do have long hair but it's thin. What you mentioned about filling the comb and tub also happens to me. The Remeron hasn't helped me sleep much at all, the morning dry mouth is gross, and there is a lot of cog fog that developed once I started taking it. Just a lot of nasty side effects. I initially went on it because of trouble eating, nausea, and insomnia. It does help me eat, that's the only reason why I keep taking it.

But thank you so much for responding. I was thinking of doing a very slow 5 % taper, cutting the dose daily instead of weekly, like .053ml per day.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

• Moderator Emeritus

Please, can I have a mod's opinion?

My hair is falling off and I haven't had a bowel movement in 2 days. This is highly unusual for me and I think it's the Remeron. Should I start tapering the Remeron?

Alopecia has been reported as a side effect of Remeron and constipation is a common side effect.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/remeron-side-effects.html

But I don't know if your symptoms are coming from the Remeron or previous withdrawal or adverse effects of previous drugs and changes or general NS destabilization, or a combination of any of these things.  My fear is that if you start tapering now, your sleep will become even worse.  Is your hair coming out in patches or is it general all over?

My hair was falling out when I was going through acute withdrawal, any kind of stress can cause hair loss, and constipation.

Perhaps you could try a very small cut of 5% and hold for 2 weeks and see how you feel.  If your symptoms start to improve, or at least dont become worse, then you could continue with a slow taper.  Your situation is unusual and quite complicated so its difficult to know what to suggest, but the Remeron is obviously not helping you to sleep, so there is no reason for you to be taking it, I'm just concerned that if you start another taper now, your symptoms may get worse.

Daily cutting is not a good idea, it takes about 4 days for dosage changes to register, you need to wait at least 4 days after a cut to find out what effect its going to have.

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

I'm honestly not sure what course of action to take. Mentally, I'm not in a place of clarity to make an informed decision. I do know that I have a major Klonopin taper ahead of me in the near future, and I need to make adjustments for it. Because I won't be able to eat or sleep, I will need the Remeron for a while. Again, I totally understand how unpopular that is here, but I'm honestly really petrified of the K taper.

I don't believe I ever stabilized on these meds. The Remeron side effect of alopecia was recent and so was the difficulty with onset of sleep (my issue from the beginning was with sleep maintenance, but I was always able to fall asleep -despite short duration, which is also odd).

So basically, I just don't know what to do. These side effects are uncomfortable and I cannot believe I'm still here after 6 (almost 7 now) months of consistent, chronic insomnia. I mean, every single night, micro-sleeping, 30 minutes, sometimes nil.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

I'm scared that I'll never sleep again. My case is convoluted and strange, I didn't intend for that.

Is there any way I could possibly attempt to reach Monica Cassani from Beyond Meds here? Perhaps she could shed some insight.

I feel like I will die either from this or the Klonopin taper.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

Hello Alizarin,

I know this is a very difficult time, but please hang in there. Insomnia is in my opinion one of the worst symptoms, but it does resolve. 2 summers ago, I was 4 months without any natural sleep. I could sleep for an hour or 2 only with the Imovane I was taking. In my case it was due to the AD I was taking at the time (I think it was Cymbalta but I took so many different ones, I get confused). I know you would love to sleep 1-2 hours right now, and that our cases are different, but it will get better. I still have insomnia from time to time, and my sleep is not as profound as it used to be. But I am still tapering, and it has improved a lot. Yours will too.

I would follow Petu's advice. If Remeron is not helping, maybe it's worseniong? I don't know, just a thought. But it might be worth it to try and reduce a very tiny bit and see what it does. Monitor and keep track of the changes for maybe 2 weeks?

Also I think that all what you are doing to improve your sleep (yoga, meditation, magnesium, etc....) is not lost in the long run. I still do all of these too and I am sure it still helps, even if we don't see the results right away.

I wish you peace and I send you a whole lot of hope. Hang in there.

Athena

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Alizarin, how are you feeling?

Can you sleep a little bit?

Thinking of you and sending you hope.

Athena

2000-2001: Effexor              2005-2012: Celexa, Zoloft, Effexor, desipramin, Wellbutrin, mirtazepin, Lamictal, Remeron, Abilify, nortriptylin, Cipralex, Cymbalta, and others I don't remember. Really bad side effects to all.
Sept-Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 5mg      Nov 2012: Paxil 20mg --> 10mg
Dec 2012: Paxil 10mg-->0; 1 week later: HUGE WD symptoms. Started to get informed on the internet and back to 10mg Paxil.
Dec 2012-Jan 2013: Paxil 10mg, Wellbutrin 100mg, Imovane 2.5mg        End Jan 2013: P 9mg, W 100mg, I 2.0mg
Feb 2013: P 8mg, W 100mg, I 1.5mg      April 2013: P 7mg, W 100mg, I 1.25mg       May 2013: P 7mg, W 90mg, I 1mg    

June 2013: P 7mg, W 80mg, I 0mg       July 1/2013: P 7, W 70     July 22/2013: P 7, W 60             Aug 2013: P 7, W 50       Sept 2013: P 6.1, W 50     Oct 2013: P up to 6.3, W 50     Nov 2013: P 6.2 to 5.9, W 50      Dec 2013: P 5.9, W 40      Jan 2014: P 5.3, W40        Feb 2014: P 5.3, W 30      March-April 2014: P 5.3, W 26    May 2014: P 5.3, W 20        June 2014: P 5.3 W 15     July 2014:  P 5.3, W 14       Aug 2014: P 5.3, W up to 15     Sept 2014: P 5.3, W 14    Oct 2014: P 4.8, W 14      Nov 2014: P 4.3, W 14     Dec 2014-Jan 2015: P 3.9, W 14     Feb 2015: P 3.9, W 12    March 2015: P 3.6, W 12   April-May 2015: P 3.3, W 12    June 2015: P 3.3, W 10    July 2015: P 3.3, W 8   Aug-Sept 2015: P 3.3, W 6   Oct 2015: P 3.0, W 6   Nov 2015: P 2.7, W 6   Dec 2015: P 2.4, W 6   Jan-Feb 2016: P 2.4, W 5  March 2016: P 2.2, W 5   April 2016: P 2.2, W 4   May-June 2016: P 2.2, W 3  July 2016: P 2.2, W 2  Aug 2016: P 2.2, W 1  Sept 2016: P 2.2, W 0!!  Oct 2016: P 2.0   Nov 2016-Jan 2017: P 1.8  Feb-Mar 2017: P 1.9  April-May 2017: P 1.8   June 2017: P 1.6 July-Dec 2017: P 1.5  Jan-April 2018: P 1.6

Others: Cytomel 25mcg (thyroid), vit. C, vit D, Omega-3 fish oil, Magnesium bisglycinate , Melatonin 1mg, 81mg Aspirin, Milk peptides, L-theanine, Valericalm tincture mix, scullcap tincture, Suan Zao Ren (jujube seeds)

i've given up. if i live, i live and vice versa.

thanks for the message.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Following a brief hiatus, I wanted to return here and share my experiences during the continuation of protracted withdrawal from Lexapro and the insomnia that (seemingly spontaneously) spawned following extensive hospital stays for a bout of hyperthyroidism.

Currently, my sleep has improved but I don't necessarily attribute this to the aid of Remeron. I am walking for an hour and a half seven days a week, practice yoga for insomnia and drink chamomile tea at night, and practice two 20 minute sessions of meditation via Mooji throughout the day. As always, I eat an organic, whole foods diet.

I began exercising as soon as I was able to get out of bed, but only recently (one and a half months) have been able to walk and occasionally jog (the later, for very brief intervals) for a lengthier time interval.

Reading some of my earlier posts, I do notice the sheer desperation and agony I was undergoing, and I honestly never want to return to that place. However, I also feel that I can no longer manage the crippling effects of the Remeron. Although I am petrified of undergoing the same type of insomnia I experienced in those previous months, the side effects of Remeron render me absolutely useless. This is what I am experiencing:

1. Cognitive/ mental fog issues. This is not the Klonopin as I began feeling this specific lack of mental clarity shortly after taking my first Remeron dose. See, Klonopin tends to cause memory loss, but the Remeron (or perhaps the amalgamation of the two meds) , for me, tends to impair cognitive function. For example, I can no longer add or subtract numbers in my head without being consistently incorrect. Even writing this post feels like an extraordinary struggle.

2. Unimaginable lethargy. I am still in astonishment as to how severely unmotivated I am to get anything done. A lot of it does have to do with the fatigue I experience.

3. Fatigue. See above.

4. Constipation. I have managed to resolve this by incorporating more raw vegetables along with the intake of magnesium (the later, also serving as an aid, along with Taurine, to induce relaxation upon awakening after an hour of sleep).

5. Ankle pain/ swelling

6. Water retention.

7. Insatiable hunger. Have gained nearly 20 lbs on a low carb, gluten-free, almost entirely raw vegan diet with the occasional inclusion of wild-caught salmon for protein. What in the world...

8. Bad vertigo. Coupled with the fatigue, I think anyone can see why it becomes so difficult to get anything done.

9. Dry eyes.

Lastly, I did have a verbal altercation with my endocrinologist of over a decade because, after having prescribed the 2 mg Klonopin, he has decided to decrease it to 1.5mg without, of course, time for me to perform a reasonable taper. When I requested if it were possible for me to continue tapering via titration at my current pace, he replied with a blunt "No", followed by accusations of attempting to use more of the drug than I was prescribed. Succinctly put, this is where my end of the disagreement began. Therefore, it seems I am under some pressure to reduce the Klonopin to 1.5 mg (currently at 1.9 mg) before the Remeron (7.5 mg).

I can't say that I've the physical energy to drive myself to another doctor, possibly a psychiatrist, to have another prescription filled for the Klonopin. The last psychiatrist I went to wanted to directly convert me from Klonopin to Restoril and I was so frightened that I never returned there.

In summation, this has been my experience during my absence here. Most importantly, I wanted to thank those of you who offered support, especially without judgement as the insomnia I was experiencing was indeed maddening. I don't know what my future bestows as I cannot drive or work. I have simply taken refuge in the teachings of Papaji and Mooji, realising that I am not merely my mind and instead, am an integral and infinite part of the Universe.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

I feel like hell, and can't manage a decent post. But, I'm glad you are sleeping. I remember your plight back in the late fall. Very happy you are ok. I thought about you on several occasions and hoped you were alright.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

Wildflower,

I'm sorry you are not feeling well. I did notice your signature and wanted to congratulate you on your current achievement, particularly your Ativan taper. You have also been through the ringer with Lexapro it seems. I CT it unfortunately and believe it's one of the culprits of my current condition. My mother also died of (pancreatic) cancer in my early 30s, within a month after diagnosis, and I was also her sole caretaker. Witnessing such a rapid deterioration of what was once such a strong and powerful woman was traumatizing to put it mildly. Ironically, at the time, I thought I had endured the worst. Two years later began my hyperthyroidism bout, relentless insomnia, and indeed, I did find myself in a deeper depth of hell. So I can relate a bit to your bio.

Yes, in all honesty, I was basically suicidal. Thank you for having thought of me.

There is a plethora of small rituals and routines I perform daily to keep me from giving up and I was thinking of perhaps posting them here in case they might help someone else.

I've a long, long way to go, often doubt myself, but if I do make it, I intend to devote the rest of my existence (in this body with a name) to helping fellow sufferers. Whether it will be via blogging or Youtube or free Skype sessions, I do not know. I just want to survive/ endure enough to be able to help others.

Thanks again.

I feel like hell, and can't manage a decent post. But, I'm glad you are sleeping. I remember your plight back in the late fall. Very happy you are ok. I thought about you on several occasions and hoped you were alright.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

I am so glad to hear of your great accomplishment. I know you were in a horrible place. And I understand your dilemma about the next taper. If you have time, we would love to hear more of how you made it back from the brink.

1st round Prozac 1989/90, clear depression symptoms. 2nd round Prozac started 1999 when admitted to dr. I was tired. Prozac pooped out, switch to Cymbalta 3/2006. Diagnosed with bipolar disorder due to mania 6/2006--then I was taken abruptly off Cymbalta and didn't know I had SSRI withdrawal. Lots of meds for my intractable "bipolar" symptoms.

Zyprexa started about 9/06, mostly 5mg. Tapered 4/12 through12/29/12

Wellbutrin. XL 300 mg started 1/07, tapered 1/18/13 through 7/8/13

Oxazepam mostly continuously since 6/06, 30mg since 12/12, tapered 1.17.14 through 8.26.15

11/06 Lithium 600mg twice daily, 2.2.14 400mg TID DIY liquid, 2.12.14 1150mg, 3.2.14 1100mg, 3.18.14 1075mg, 4/14 updose to 1100mg, 6.1.14 900 mg capsules 7.8.14 810mg, 8.17.14 725mg, 8.24.24 700mg...10.22.14 487.5mg, 3.9.15 475mg, 4.1.15 462.5mg 4.21.15 450mg 8.11.15 375mg, 11.28.15 362.5mg, back to 375mg four days later, 3.4.16 updose to 475 (too much going on to risk trouble)

9/4/13 Toprol-XL 25mg daily for sudden hypertension, tapered 11.12.13 through 5.3.14, last 10 days or so switched to atenolol

7.4.14 Started Walsh Protocol

56 years old

Hello Meimeiquest,

Thank you for your encouraging words. I basically incorporated an amalgamation of techniques into my daily routine until, apparently, something worked. Physically, disciplined exercise (7 days a week, 1.5 hours) made the most drastic improvement. Mentally, it was metanoia.

I am so glad to hear of your great accomplishment. I know you were in a horrible place. And I understand your dilemma about the next taper. If you have time, we would love to hear more of how you made it back from the brink.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

Guys, I read about the hair loss - I experienced SEVERE hair loss on Cipralex, that's why I wanted to stop taking it. The psychiatrist, of course, said that the hair loss is not associated with the Cipralex, but I stopped it (then had to reinstate 5 mg to stabilize) and now I don't have hair loss anymore. So it WAS indeed a side effect of the medication. I guess if it could happen from the Cipralex it could also happen from the Remeron. 

I suffer from depression, anxiety, pure-o ocd, and panic attacks since 2004. Been on multiple different psychiatric drugs since 2006. Never had a significant WD problem before, only brain zaps for a month and then I'd be fine...............Been on Cipralex (escitalopram) 15 mg and Fluanxol (flupentixol) 1 mg since Sep 2014. Stopped taking the Cipralex after a fast 20-day taper.Took the last 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 5th, 2015. Then took Seroxat (paroxetine) 10 mg for a week, and stopped it too. Severe WD started suddenly on Feb 16th. RI 5 mg Cipralex on Feb 18th, 2015. RI worked and was relatively stable for a while................April 7 - decreased Fluanxol from 1 mg to 0.5 mg and took it at this dose for a week. - BIG MISTAKE; April 13 - WD starts creeping in; April 14 - RI full dose of Fluanxol 1 mg => severe muscle twitching and jerking when trying to relax and fall asleep, overwhelming sense of doom, dread, terror, and horror, insomnia, hoping to stabilize.
Tried doing a 10% cut off Fluanxol in the end of May for a few days, but quickly updosed to full dose because the twitching returned.
Experiencing waves and windows in the following months.
Unsuccessful brief taper attempt of Fluanxol by 5% on November 1st. Symptoms hit the next day. Too scared to continue tapering, reinstate full dose.
Severe crash in November after stupidly trying a barbiturate on November 9th. Grave mistake. Sense of unshakable inescapable internal torture, like my soul is in hell being tortured, terror/horror/dread/doom (probably akathisia?) that gets especially bad when trying to relax and fall asleep, muscles twitch, jerk and move on their own, shaking, insomnia, can't eat, confusion, disorientation, brain not working normally. Never felt so bad in my entire life. Never experiment with other meds while in WD! Praying to God I stabilize and get back to my baseline.
December - things getting even worse.

January - unbearable suffering

Hi Blue,

I'm sorry about your hair loss with Cipralex. I think that for me, upon hindsight, it was a conglomeration of my thyroid problem along with the Remeron, weight loss, and insomnia. After I began sleeping my hair stopped falling off. I do agree with you in the sense that hair loss can be triggered by these medications as they have so many unimaginable side effects.

I'm hoping your reinstatement and taper are going well.

Currently, I'm experiencing  the worst bout of lethargy and just absolute exhaustion that it makes it difficult to even type on this keypad. I'm tapering Klonopin at the moment and even at the slowest possible rate, the taper is hell.

Good luck and take care,

\

A.

Guys, I read about the hair loss - I experienced SEVERE hair loss on Cipralex, that's why I wanted to stop taking it. The psychiatrist, of course, said that the hair loss is not associated with the Cipralex, but I stopped it (then had to reinstate 5 mg to stabilize) and now I don't have hair loss anymore. So it WAS indeed a side effect of the medication. I guess if it could happen from the Cipralex it could also happen from the Remeron. 

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

Hello Alizarin,

I just saw your post and just wanted to say that I am happy for you that you can sleep again. Yes life without sleep is torture. Would like to know more about your routines too.

We'll get there.

A.

Hi Athena,

Thanks for your support and good wishes.

As for sleep, I began trying a slew of techniques. Some worked and some didn't. A few main techniques, however, did aid in the elongation of sleep. I have to say that the most noticeable difference was when I started walking for an hour and a half every single afternoon. I have been doing this for over 2 months now and have not missed a single day. I have walked in the pouring run under an umbrella, no problem. I have walked whilst experiencing depression and crying. Right now, I'm experiencing the type of lethargy that makes it difficult to even move objects on a table or perform minimal tasks like doing dishes. Well, I still go walking. I know it's either that or no sleep.

My concern at the moment is with my Klonopin taper. I am moving very slowly and using milk titration. I fear that the taper will affect my thyroid symptoms as time progresses and generally just wanted to ask specific math/ benzo taper questions. My cognitive abilities are non compliant, so if a moderator happens to read this, could he/ she please inform me if I may post my questions on the benzo area or will my topic get moved?

Anyhow, Athena, if you happen to read this and are able to get some exercise, please do not hesitate. I don't think going off the Remeron (completely) will benefit me at the moment. I need to drop at least 1 mg of Klonopin before I even begin contemplating that. But I have been just slightly chipping at a side of the 7.5 mg Remeron and it hasn't hurt me. The Remeron side effects are no joke but the worst is the sense of lethargy and inability to move. It's physical and I have to fight it with my mind to get some exercise.

I don't know what will happen with my K taper but I am nervous about it.

Best wishes on your journey, Athena. Thanks for stopping by.

-A.

Hello Alizarin,

I just saw your post and just wanted to say that I am happy for you that you can sleep again. Yes life without sleep is torture. Would like to know more about your routines too.

We'll get there.

A.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

This is my current 'sleep regimen', in order of performance. I hope it helps anyone.

1. Exercise (until you break a sweat). Walking in nature is perfect. While on the subject of nature, try to spend some time every day outside. Inhale the fresh air. Deep breathing exercises in nature is a plus as well.

2. Organic Chamomile tea. I drink it right before my nightly yoga and meditation. It was brought to my attention that it interferes with GABA so if this concerns you, you might want to skip it.

3. Chelated Magnesium and Taurine (combined at night or during your first night's awakening, together they will guide you back to sleep or at least, prevent insomnia-induced anxiety).

4. Yoga for insomnia (search Legs-Up-the-Wall-Pose, quite simple) and yoga for fear and anxiety:

5. 432 hz DNA Healing/Chakra Cleansing Meditation/Relaxation Music:
(You can try higher frequencies but I find that this feels the most comfortable, especially for sleep).

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

So it seems I've got a problem. The Remeron is making me really sick. I mean, sick in ways I've never been before. The amount of weight I've gained is impressive considering the fact that I've been naturally thin my entire life but there are other symptoms that are far, far worse. I've never experienced the type of lethargy I'm experiencing on this med. I'm on 7.5 mg because of insomnia, but it's a Catch-22. I'd be tapering this very moment off the Remeron, but I don't have a means to acquire the liquid form. I'm also unsure if I should get off it now or wait until my K taper, but that will take many years. I need to start figuring out a way to get of the Remeron very soon.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

Accidentally missed last night's dry dose of 1 mg Klonopin and the 7.5 mg Remeron so there's been very little sleep and some nausea. I'm trying not to panic, did yoga in bed, meditated when I got out of bed, and just finished some deep breathing exercises.

I'm going to place the 7.5 mg Remeron in some water and see how well it dissolves. I might have to halt the K taper and get off this drug first, or at least lower it, as I'm simply not tolerating it in the 'positive' way folks in the benzo boards do. The night of Mother's Day, I had a choking incident that was the result of severe nausea, and I couldn't fall asleep after that.

Just my whining for the day, as we all have bad days, and a updated summation of my lousy 'life' on drugs.

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

I noticed your struggle with Klonopin and Remeron. I have been trying to get off remeron and xanax since December 2014. My pdoc pushes replacing xanax with klonopin because it's got a longer half life. I do keep a journal and recently I noticed that everytime I replace xanax with klonopin I have disatorous results. My sleep is horrific/nonexistant and I wake with a debilitating migraine.It feels like a sever hangover and I don't move much - never mind get out of the house to walk. This migraine renders me helpless 24/7 until I sleep somewhat again.

Two days ago I had shaved off a bit of my 30 mg remeron to make 27 mg and took 1 mg of Klonopin thinking I would sleep better. I only woke 13 times so I thought I did sleep but woke with severe headache both days.  I am just trying to figure out what happens. Last night I went back to xanax, apparently slept in spite of waking 24 times, and feel much better today. I am wondering if Klonopin and Remeron are a bad combination for me. I don't know why. Getting off remeron is difficult enough - the klonopin to me seems to exacerbate the problem. Not sleeping can make a person very, very sick. I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm still trying to figure things out...

All the best, Leahy

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

That's partly because Remeron and Klonopin have interactions.

From Drugs.com

Using clonazePAM together with mirtazapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience some impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

I was uninformed of these interactions when a sleep specialist gave me the Remeron 10 months ago.

Also, it never helped with sleep and I'm having a ridiculous time titrating from the K. At less than 5%.

I noticed your struggle with Klonopin and Remeron. I have been trying to get off remeron and xanax since December 2014. My pdoc pushes replacing xanax with klonopin because it's got a longer half life. I do keep a journal and recently I noticed that everytime I replace xanax with klonopin I have disatorous results. My sleep is horrific/nonexistant and I wake with a debilitating migraine.It feels like a sever hangover and I don't move much - never mind get out of the house to walk. This migraine renders me helpless 24/7 until I sleep somewhat again.

Two days ago I had shaved off a bit of my 30 mg remeron to make 27 mg and took 1 mg of Klonopin thinking I would sleep better. I only woke 13 times so I thought I did sleep but woke with severe headache both days.  I am just trying to figure out what happens. Last night I went back to xanax, apparently slept in spite of waking 24 times, and feel much better today. I am wondering if Klonopin and Remeron are a bad combination for me. I don't know why. Getting off remeron is difficult enough - the klonopin to me seems to exacerbate the problem. Not sleeping can make a person very, very sick. I'm sorry you're going through this. I'm still trying to figure things out...

All the best, Leahy

Current Meds:

Past Meds:

Thank you, Alizarin. Did you have problems with your thyroid before or after you started ADs or afterwards? Thyroid meds seem to appear very often here with psychotropic meds in signatures. I think it is interesting. I had subacute thyroiditis which is distinguished from Grave's by the radioactive iodine test but later left my hypothyroid as a result. The doctors kept asking me what traumatic event prompted the thyroiditis. I thought it was a relationship breakup. I only realized recently that the subacute thyroiditis happened after ADs. Just curious.

I think you're right about remeron/klonopin being a bad mix. I'm not taking klonopin anymore. I'll go back to weaning off the xanax slowly. At least I get to sleep somewhat on that. I wish my pdoc had a brain.

2001-2007 Rem 90 mg, xanax 2 mg synthroid 112mcg - 2007-2014 Rem 60 mg xanax 3-4 mg

2015   Feb Rem 45 mg xanax 2 mg, March Rem 30 xanax 2, April  Rem 22.5, May Rem 30  xanax .25x4 hrs, June Rem 26 xanax 2-3, July Rem 22.5 xanax 2, Aug Rem 15 xanax 2, Sept Rem 22 xanax 2, Oct Rem 18 mg xanax .25 mg /4 hrs, Nov Rem 23 mg xanax .5mg, Dec Rem 24 xanax 2 

2016  Jan Rem 20 xanax 2,  Feb Rem 18 mg xanax 1.5, Feb Rem 14 12 mg xanax 1 mg, March Rem 10 9 mg xanax 1-2 mg Rem 7.3 8 xanax 1-2, April Rem 10 12 mg xanax 2 mg, May Rem 11 xanax 1 .75mg Nov Rem 10mg Xanax 2mg 2017 May Rem 10.25 Xanax 1 mg, November Xanax 1mg

• Moderator Emeritus

How are you Alizarin? What's your current thinking on tapering?

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan