KT38: Quit Zoloft after 3.5 weeks - dizziness/sea sick, agitated, etc...

KT38

Hey KT,

oh, those brain locks... I have them all the time. It's like something in your brain contracts, like a cramp. Then it zaps for 10 minutes constantly and afterwards it burns and I get nausea. I feel like brain dead sometimes. 

I also have tingling and burning in the head all the time. My racing thoughts are still gone, so I would consider myself still lucky. But I still have no energy, no concentration and a lot of headaches / head symptoms and anxiety. I hope this stuff will pass sooner or later.

Are you seeing any progress outside of the windows? Are the waves a bit less intense?

I sometimes wonder if those two-week-withdrawal people are just a myth made up by the pharma industry. And I want to understand what makes us different from the people who can just withdraw like that.

I hope you feel better soon! 

Cheers,

Laura

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

After stopping Sertraline, withdrawal got much worse. New, horrific symptoms. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

Profile feed: http://goo.gl/3g2GRn

Sign this petition for a blackbox warning on Prozac in Ireland:

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KT38

• luv2knit

• Laura1981

• joannatm

Top Posters In This Topic

This wave ha been pretty intense.  The inner vibrations are getting worse and now my head is tight.  I always feel like I am one step away from psychosis. It is so exhausting trying to stop the mind when it is in such disarray! I just want this intense anxiety and dizzy head to go away so I can at least go to a store or drive. How are you?

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Oh no, this sounds awful. I hope your wave will give you some relief soon.

I'm not that great, but in the last couple of months I definitely have had a lot worse, so I'm not complaining.

At the moment I have constant head symptoms: Explosions, migraines, dizzy spells, "cramps" in the brain, burning sensations.

I have no energy and I don't care for anything. At some stage I will have to leave this couch and do stuff again, but it's so exhausting if you feel like your head will fall off.

Feb 2015 Took venlafaxine for 5 days only... experienced withdrawal that made me completely non-functional

Mar 2015 took under 1mg of Sertraline for 10 days in an attempt to combat Venlafaxine withdrawal. Got adverse reactions. 

June 2015 Still non-functional but slowly getting better. Still brain zaps, migraines, sweating, heart racing, depression, crying spells

September 2015: 24/7 brain zaps, twitches in the face, no concentration, bad memory, language skills deteriorating. 

https://www.change.org/p/leo-varadakar-hpra-the-lack-of-a-blackbox-warning-on-prozac-in-ireland-and-its-use-by-the-hse-in-under-18-s?recruiter=63289046&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=share_for_starters_page&utm_term=des-lg-no_src-no_msg

Stepping into month 3 and my head is still very floaty and processing things is still hard.  I can't take too much stimuli.  I was able to get my son at the bus stop a few times with my husband, so that's good.  But looking around, joining in conversations, etc... is just way too much for my head to grasp.  Like it's non-functional.  Hoping sometime in month 3 I can drive again, or at least go into a store without a care.

Dec 2014 I tried Zoloft 25mg for one week (adverse reaction - extreme anxiety and felt like I was on an amphetamine). Dr. said to quit cold turkey, so I not only quit Zoloft but also 2 weeks of Xanax .25mg -- extreme dizziness, hyperarousal and anxiety began! On Jan. 29, 2015 my psychiatrist put me on new stuff and this is how my next 2 months and 7 days looked like (I was having the same bad reactions to all of these):Effexor XR 37.5mg (3 days) - throwing up, heart palpations, night tremors/convulsions or something where whole body shakes for a second, Prozac 10mg (15 days), Prozac 20mg (7 days) - internal restlessness, electric current through body/brain (not zaps), agitation, intense fear and could no longer nap at this point (still can't today because of this), Lexapro 5mg (4 days) - same as Prozac, a horror show...extreme internal agitation, Lexapro 7.5mg (2 days), Lexapro 10mg (16 days), Zoloft 12.5mg (3 days)...she said try it again since my blood relative does well on it, Zoloft 25mg (7 days) - same as before and getting worse!! Zoloft 50mg (6 days), Zoloft 25mg (4 days and then came off cold turkey on April 8, 2015). I used Xanax .25mg about 7 times per month through all of this until June 30, 2015 (my last benzo dose). Extreme anxiety, nervous system traumatized, mental akathisia, anger triggered by nothing but the brain totally going off on its own, feeling of a pressurized electric current going through me like my brain and body are trying to explode, stress reaction x10000 to everything, waking in terror lasting all day, fear, very sensitive, brain can't keep up, don't know what to do with myself, feeling like everything is going too fast and I can't keep up, helium head, deep depression like something is ripping out my soul, out of my mind, can hardly drive or be alone, cognitive issues, simple tasks are so complex and straining, feel disturbed because the brain can't process anything right even though your brain tries so hard and it makes you go mad, episodes of deep anguish with a sick toxic poison feeling (like you have some unknown virus).

Funny, I was just thinking about you and wondering should I check into your thread. 

Maybe something to reassure you: I stopped Venlafaxine in the beginning of March. Then I tried to counter the withdrawal with Sertraline, which I stopped in the beginning of April. 

The symptoms that I think were linked with Venlafaxine are already starting to go. The Sertraline stuff is still there, but I think after month 3 you should be a lot better already. 

*topic moved from symptoms forum

Has anyone had an EEG done during withdrawal? I am in my 3rd month of coming off cold turkey and still in a bad bad place.  I'm seeing a neurologist tomorrow.  My head is still super dizzy/floaty/drunk feeling and my CNS feels like there is a surge constantly going through my body and I feel my body vibrating sometimes.  Naps are impossible because of this surge...it gets worse when trying  to relax as if the messed up CNS system wants to show who's boss.  So, all of this plus the high anxiety from withdrawal has made me not able to drive or go many places.  I feel helpless and just want this torture to end.  I can't go back and taper because I was having adverse reactions to the SSRIs....pretty much what I am dealing with still now.

Hello KT38,

I am currently going through a bad patch, too. I am so exhausted from the symptoms and from the anxiety about the symptoms. I am dizzy a lot. I am seeing a neurologist in 6 weeks, although god knows how I'm going to pay for it.

I've never had an EEG done but it's good that you are taking steps to get answers. Every little helps.

2009-2012: Lexapro 10mg, and then varying doses , multiple failed attempts to wean myself off. Instant withdrawal side-effects, including: loss of balance; forgetfulness; bruxism; apathy; pins & needles; extreme anxiety; panic; extremely vivid dreams and nightmares; akathisia; suicidal ideation; sleep paralysis; skin crawling; and more.2012-March to 2013-December: Lexapro 10mg, Life was great.2014-January to 2014-December: Weaned myself off, using 10mg and 5mg doses only. Alternated & skipped days until finally going cold turkey. Experienced restless leg at night, temporarily. Numbness in scalp, sporadically.2015-January to 2015-April No medication. 2 weeks after taking final pill - choking sensations [ongoing]. 6 weeks after final pill - Random, all-over, burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations throughout my body [Ongoing] (Never any brain zaps though.) Tinnitus symptoms [temporary.] Loss of sensation in throat/neck [ongoing]. MRI of brain and C-spine; blood tests; all clear. 2015-April to now 10mg Lexapro. Loss of sensation in fingers [constant]. Still experiencing burning / pin-prick / electric shock sensations all over my body since before reinstatement [almost constant]. Still experiencing numbness in throat/neck since before reinstatement [constant.] Balance problems [infrequent]. Pins and needles in legs & feet [infrequent.]<p>2015-Nov to date: 10mg daily. Numbness in finger remains, some electric shocks, but it doesn't bother me anymore. Loss of sensation / motor capabilities in tongue / throat / airways continues, seems to be getting worse.
  • Administrator

You can certainly get an EEG and neurological checkup. Many people here have done this. The tests almost always reveal nothing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

He is going to do an MRI, EEG and autoimmune bloodwork.  I asked him if I sound crazy or if he has seen cases like mine. He nodded his head yes and that in fact he was just at the hospital for a girl who came there who had been through 8 different antidepressants.  So, he knows this could all be from withdrawal, but he wants me thoroughly checked out just in case.  The internal surge I have constantly through my body is so bad.  I asked him if it could be akathisia but he said that it's more of a movement disorder. But I am extremely agitated from my nervous system surges....like I drank 20 cups of coffee.  The surge things started when I was on Prozac so it def must be from the drugs wrecking my system.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you get results?

Started Effexor August 2012 Sept'12-150mg=extreme anxiety Oct'12 cut half-75mg severe wds

Feb 2013 68.5mg. Mar'13- 65mg. Apr'13-59mg. May'13-57mg. June '13-52mg Aug'13 49.75mg.

Sep'13-48.75. Nov'13-47mg Dec'13-45..5mg

May 2014 42mg. Jun'14 40mg (depressive mood started). Aug'14 -40mg/ started brintellix 2.5mg

Oct '14 -39 Nov'14 36.89 Dec'14 34.45

Jan 2015- 31 Feb'15 29mg. Mar'15 26.72. Apr'15 24.48. May'15 22.31mg. Jun'15 20.30mg

Aug'15-18.89. Oct'15 16.96. Nov/16- 16.10. Dec/15- 15mg

Jan 2016-14.22. May'16 11.45. Aug'16-9.60. Sep/16- 8.88mg. Oct/16- 8.39mg. Nov/16- 8.13. Dec/16- 7.89

I got the EEG on Thursday, MRI next Tues and bloodwork on Fri.  Next time I see him (prob the week after) he will give me the results.    I am such a mess right now (that time of the month).  I was soooo angry and mad yesterday.  I couldn't even play with my kids I was crying all day.  So terrible! I never had a chem imbalance and now I have one because I took and got off these stupid drugs?  So annoyed that it has been 2.5 months and not even near in the clear.

One thing that really makes me upset is that I was put on these because I had a few panic attacks. I should have just stuck with the Xanax as needed for when those happen, but I went the "oh try these you will be fine" route. I knew nothing about these meds as I have never really taken anything but Advil. I am upset that I have never experienced true anxiety or true depression. All of this we are going through is organic and completely unreal and unnatural. I hate that the natural part of my brain has been disrupted and taken as hostage.

• Administrator

KT, that sounds like an unusually well-informed neurologist.

Be careful about being too emotional around doctors. It makes them think "more psychiatric drugs," particularly a nice antipsychotic like Seroquel.

If you can communicate with him, you might discuss the information in this topic One theory of antidepressant withdrawal syndrome

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

I went to see a new psychiatrist and she said I was definitely in withdrawal.  She said I should have never been on the drugs.  Because I was on 4 different ones during my 2 months my brain and body are a mess and now just need time to heal.  She said my DNA test even shows I should not have been on them.  She prescribed me Xanax XR and I took one yesterday, but didn't notice too much of a difference as a lot of this is not true anxiety.  It's organic anxiety and what is worse is my internal electrical surge and mood swings/fear/agitation all the day.  I am never in a good mood because my mind is so depressed and scared it just hates everything.  Xanax won't touch that.  I had a really bad day (the worst so far) 2 days ago and I cried in my mom's arms for the first time.  I have never done that.  Is said I am dying.  I can't escape my mental state or the electric surge.  I tried taking a bath, etc... but nothing calmed me down.  There is never one bit of piece during my days.  My best part of the day is laying down to go to sleep.  She said because I had adverse reactions to the meds it might take me more time to heal than someone who could take the drugs.  So depressing.

Oh, and I find out my MRI, EEG, and bloodwork out tomorrow.

I'm so sorry that you're still feeling so bad! But it's great that you have a psychiatrist who believes you. I'm still being brushed off by everybody I talk to. 

I wish you lots of healing! 

So sorry KT..but I'm so glad you have a psych that believes you! Hugs and strength xx

2000 - sertraline for job anxiety low confidence (17 years old) ..which turned the next 16 years into nightmare!

On/off sertraline severe withdrawals every time. 2014 - felt better as reduced dose of sertraline no more inner restlessness. Doctor rushed off again. Hit severe withdrawal. Lost the little I had in life. Couldn't get stable again on 12.5mg. Was switched to prozac. Had severe reaction to prozac..came off in November 2015 at 6mg as felt more confused and damaged on it..Even more withdrawal ..rage, depression, dyphoria, near constant suicidal ideation, self harm impulses, doom, concrete block in head, unable to do much of anything with this feeling in head..went back on 6mg of sertraline to see if would alleviate anything. It didn't..reduced from December to June 2016 came off at 2.5mg sertraline as was hospitalised for the severe rage, suicidal impulses, and put on 50mg lofepramine which in 2nd week reduced all symptoms but gave insomnia which still have..psych stopped lofepramine cold turkey..no increased withdrawal symptoms new symptoms from lofepramine except persistant insomnia which has as side effect.

Taking Ativan for 8 months for the severe rage self harm impulses 1-3 times a week (mostly 2 times a week) at .5mg. Two months (I'm unsure exactly when the interdose started to happen) ago interdose withdrawal seemed to happen..2 days I think after the Ativan.

Nightmare that could have been avoided!

So glad about your new psych. The neurologist sounds more informed than most, as Alto said. I'm confused, though. I thought akathisia was also classified as a movement disorder, even though there are many psychological symptoms with it as well(?)

I had my yearly physical Friday, and I still didn't mention my discontinuation to my doc. This is the second time I have seen her since I went off, and I just have to pray I can get through the appointment without giving anything away. This time was hard, because I had to have fasting labs, and if I don't eat something right when I'm used to eating, the akathisia ramps up sky high. I first eat something at 7:00 a.m., and I didn't get to eat until almost 10:00. Guess God was listening!

Hang in there, KT. It will get better!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

Thanks everyone!  Yes, it's nice to know there are some medical professionals who get it.  She had probably seen it happen before and because I wasn't a client she tortured she prob didn't feel threatened by telling me the truth since it was another Drs mistake.  Who knows.  But she was very very good.  luv2knit, what is your akathisia like?  My neuro said I didn't have it because I don't have the movement.  I don't  have the need to walk around but when I sit or lay down my internald agitation ramps up really bad like and electric current running through my body that doesn't go away.  What does it feel like to you?  Do you have the movement part?  I thought I read somewhere that akathisia can just be the agitation without the movement, but who knows.....all of it just sucks!!!

I have both--but with my Chronic Fatigue, I can't pace (I can barely stand)! I rock. I've worn out one rocker, and am working on another one! The psychological symptoms, including SI, are much worse for me, though. I've been known to scream, pound walls with my fists, and pull my hair out. It's been 10+ months with this for me. I have learned to trade pillows for the walls--easier on the fists!

Zoloft 100 mg. daily for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome since Oct. 1994 / Synthroid 88 mcg. daily / Supplements: Neptune Krill Oil-1,000 mg. twice daily/Astaxanthin 10 mg. twice daily/Ubiquinol 100 mg. twice daily (These 3 have allowed me to discontinue (approved by doctor) bp meds I was on. Calcium Citrate 500 mg. daily/Vitamin D3 2,400 iu daily/K2 (MK7) 100 mcg daily (osteopenia and fam. hist. of severe osteoporosis). Stress B Complex (1/2 dose)/Quercetin (for allergies/asthma)/Magnesium (400 mg. oral glycinate and about 50 mg. magnesium chloride spray oil a day, divided throughout day).

Tapered Zoloft about 6 wks. Totally off since the end of July (25-29, 2014). 3 wks. vertigo at end of taper, then 3-4 wks. OK, followed by withdrawal symptoms increasing in severity (nausea, gastric disturbances, loss of appetite, insomnia, restlessness, jitters, anxiety, agitation--jumping out of my skin--possible akathisia?) Seem to have paradoxical reactions to everything new, even Vitamin C. Severity of akathisia comes and goes, but is constant to some degree. Hard to leave house, and cannot be home alone. (Retired)

I wanted to let you all know that internal surge/electric current hasn't been present in about a week or more.  I am happy that one symptom finally left.  I know it may come back, but to know it went away is wonderful.  Now, if only my extreme nervousness would leave things would be great! I feel like I have spidey senses....I'm over alert and cannot filter out noise.  I can't leave the house much because of this darn nervous issue. 

And the dreadful feelings of being left alone like I would go mad.  Because if I truly was alone, I would be going mad right now.  If it wasn't for my husband, I would be in a mental institution and my kids in foster care.  All this over 2 months of some dumb drugs!!!!!!!  That is how much this withdrawal consumes me.  This HAS to get better.  Just so unnatural!!!

So sorry, KT--I agree totally!! Glad one symptom has improved for you, though!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Sorry to read about what you are going through, KT.  Any psych that cycles you through 4 A/Ds (and a benzo for good luck) in a 2 month period should have their license revoked forthwith!  That's idiocy.  Hopefully the fact that the zaps are diminishing (leaving we hope) is an indication that you are starting to come off the bottom and will begin to recover.

I assume that none of the tests you were waiting for revealed anything of consequence?

Hang in there,

Andy

Sertraline 50mg and Clonazapam .375mg from 2000 -- symptoms of dizziness Spring 2012

increased to .5 Clonazapam and 100mg Sertraline -- no improvement

Benzo microtaper from November 2012 to November 2014 (followed benzo sites "taper benzo first")

Started Sertraline taper in December 2014 cut by 25mg to 75mg; 62.5mg 1/1/15 and 50mg on 2/1/15

Held at 50mg through April 5 to use liquid 
Reduced dosage in 10% or less drops from 50mg to 25mg -- at single tablet of 25mg on 10/5/15

Transitioned to all liquid for accuracy while tapering -- Horrible insomnia -- back to 25mg liquid and held until October 1, 2016

10/16 -- 11/18 tapered very slowly to 10.6mg.  No real improvement and never really stable so updosed to 12.5mg (1/2 a pill) for convenience and long hold.

After 8+ months of holding with no noticeable improvement decided to add .4ml of liquid Prozac (about 1.5mg) to see if that improves the situation

Supplements, Magnesium, D3, Omega 3, curcumin, Valerian, 81mg Aspirin, L-Theanine, Vit. C,

The psych who prescribed the 4 ADs was my old psych.  The new one prescribed the Xanax XR because she knew nothing else was going to help this mess.  But I know I am not going to start the Xanax (only in emergency situations).  My MRI, EEG, and bloodwork all came back fine.  So of course my neurologist was like "you have anxiety"  -- no duh Sherlock.  Of course I do, my brain is messed up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

That's an unusual psychiatrist, KT. Does she know anything about tapering? Can you recommend her on this thread http://tinyurl.com/7cp8l8v ?

Ok, I just put her info on that post.  I am halfway through month 4 and it seems the agitation and irritability has increased.  I walk around not knowing what to do with myself, can't focus and just want to scream.  This is just a mess.

Hey there! I am so sorry to hear all of what you have been through. I just read your first couple of posts. Again, I'm so sorry. I can only imagine having the stress of a sick child while having to sort through withdrawal. Actually, I can't imagine. I have such respect for your tenacity and endurance.

I'm so happy you found your way here though! :)

I actually noticed your post about recommended doctors. Ive wanted to get back home to Florida for a while, but I'm stuck tapering and I'm scared to change doctors. Thank you for the post about the doctor you found. It gives me some hope that I can get home after all.

I hope the agitation calms down. It's not easy to deal with, I know. I hope you get some peace soon.

2005-Zoloft bad reaction.....2006-Lexepro......2012-Upped Lexepro.......2013-Upped Lexepro......2/2014- Attempted Taper Lexepro...2/2014- Updosed Lexepro.......3/2014-Ativan.....5/2014- CT switch from Lexpro to Effexor.....

5/2014-7/2014-Tapered Ativan from 1mg to .25mg.....6/2014-Bad reaction to Effexor........7/2014- Rapid taper Effexor every other day......7/5/2014- Off Effexor.......7/2014-12/2014 - Ativan .25mg.......12/25/2014 -Taper Ativan by 4% due to paradoxical reaction .24mg...11/18/2015-Taper Ativan 1% CURRENTLY ON: .2376mg Ativan taken in 6 .0396mg doses.

• 1 month later...

Ok, so I'm at the end of month 5 and about to embark into month 6 in a few days.  My cognitive issues are better, not much dizziness and I can drive a car if I need to.  I still can hardly be alone as I have extreme irritability now and deep sadness.  I have never had either of those!! The irritability is like my blood boiling to the point of combustion over nothing.  Sometimes just sitting and not doing anything it feels like the end of the world.  It's a doom feeling as well. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the update KT, its good to hear that some things are improving for you. It sounds like you are having waves of neuro-emotions, we have a whole topic about them:

Neuro emotions

I'm not a doctor.  My comments are not medical advise. These are my opinions based on my own experience and what I've learned. Please discuss your situation with a medical practitioner who has knowledge of tapering and withdrawal...if you are lucky enough to find one.

My Introduction Thread

Full Drug and Withdrawal History

Brief Summary

Several SSRIs for 13 years starting 1997 (for mild to moderate partly situational anxiety) Xanax PRN ~ Various other drugs over the years for side effects

2 month 'taper' off Lexapro 2010

Short acute withdrawal, followed by 2 -3 months of improvement then delayed protracted withdrawal

DX ADHD followed by several years of stimulants and other drugs trying to manage increasing symptoms

Failed reinstatement of Lexapro and trial of Prozac (became suicidal)

May 2013 Found SA, learned about withdrawal, stopped taking drugs...healing begins.

Protracted withdrawal, with a very sensitized nervous system, slowly recovering as time passes

Supplements which have helped: Vitamin C, Magnesium, Taurine

Bad reactions: Many supplements but mostly fish oil and Vitamin D

June 2016 - Started daily juicing, mostly vegetables and lots of greens.

Aug 2016 - Oct 2016 Best window ever, felt almost completely recovered

Oct 2016 -Symptoms returned - bad days and less bad days.

April 2018 - No windows, but significant improvement, it feels like permanent full recovery is close.

VIDEO: Where did the chemical imbalance theory come from?

VIDEO: How are psychiatric diagnoses made?

VIDEO: Why do psychiatric drugs have withdrawal syndromes?

VIDEO: Can psychiatric drugs cause long-lasting negative effects?

VIDEO: Dr. Claire Weekes

Thank you Petunia!  I hope you are doing better.  Does anyone know the whole concept behind recover time frame for those who were on a short time vs long term?  Do the drugs do something to the brain in people who have taken them long term that takes longer than short term? I don't think I believe that concept anymore.  I really thought I would suffer maybe a month max and this is just horrendous.  I got NO benefit out of these drugs, they just escalated me into a state of fear/panic and it blossomed even more (lucky me) after cold turkeying off. 

• 1 month later...

Two days and I will be 6 months off completely and going into month 7.  The dizziness has come back full force and light sensitivity.  I tried a small amount of magnesium for a few days and it helped the depression/anger but made my anxiety skyrocket so I stopped.  I feel like I am drunk everyday, which makes it hard to go anywhere.  I never go anywhere alone.  This is sick!!!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey KT - 

I'm sorry to see you struggling.  It's very good that you've had windows - this means that you are healing, and the windows will be coming more often.  Someday, maybe a year from now, you will have forgotten what the waves are like!  (but you'll know you never want to go back there!)  

You asked whether being on the drug short term was different from long term.  Well, here is my experience - if the drug had a chance to get its hooks into you - say 3-6 months - then you will need to take care with withdrawal.  If, however, you were on the drug for years, say 5 or 10 years or more, then the drug has ALSO had time to cause systemic damage, to your hormonal, sympathetic nervous system, even your digestive tract.  So theoretically, someone coming off of long term use will have more issues to resolve than someone coming off short term use.  However, we are all individuals, and someone can react to the drug in one dose - and someone else can have no problems jumping off the cliff cold turkey after 10 years of use!  It's awesome that you have a doctor who understands that you were never able to metabolize the drug.  That's 2 pluses - you're coming off relatively soon, and you have a doctor who understands!

I believe (and this is just me) that people who "react" to magnesium are doing so because they are so magnesium deficient.  I believe (and there are some docs who agree with me) that if you persisted on low doses and got used to it at each level, then you would start to build up your magnesium levels with less drama.  As you build up - over a week or two - the symptoms from magnesium should disappear, and you should see nothing but benefit.

THAT SAID, people who are in withdrawal might not have the luxury of ramping up the magnesium because their symptoms are already so unbearable.

You mentioned Xanax XR for occasional use - the XR just means that it while goes into your system more slowly, it still leaves just as quickly.  Because of its rapid half-life, xanax is famous for its post-dose anxiety, which can be 5x as debilitating as the original anxiety.

So please be judicious in its use, and maybe make a note of when it wears off, to see if it is actually activating you, ramping you up as it wears off, rather than providing you with any relief.

Any relief from Xanax, will be very short term, even if it is XR.  I'm no benzo expert, but if you could get valium, an older, slower drug, it could be better in the long run.  Especially since you are only using it as needed, and not on a daily basis.  Since you have an understanding doctor, you might run it by him/her.  If you explain the different half-lives between the two drugs, the doc will understand that language.

It's good to meet you - and may you see the sun today!

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

Thank you so much for your words JanCarol!  I have been having tiny windows (went to a movie with my family, drove 5 miles down the rd by myself and went into a store).  But everything changed on Fri.  I took mag Sun thru Tues last week (25mg-50mg chelated magnesium) and then Fri I got very fatigued, back hurt, head felt heavy and tingly and mental symptoms ramped up with internal sensations.  It was like I was in month 1 again but worse.  I also got a small cold that day, so not sure if I should blame the cold or the magnesium.  I am 5 days into this wave now and it's like  nothing soothes me.  I wonder if I have akathisia, but just the internal kind.  Even crying doesn't help.  I just feel like I am in complete mental agony.   The last time I took a Xanax was in June.  I am trying not to take it again.  My psychiatrist said I'm suffering from an adverse reaction, which is why my withdrawal is horrendous.  I am very sensitive to EVERYTHING...all emotions, what my kids say, what anyone says. It's like my system just can't take anything.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi KT ,   akathisia can present as the internal kind: agitation , sensations of movement and pressure , electrical surges

or current in different parts of the body and a sense of dread and terror.  It doesn't always make you pace , but those

symptoms are part of the package.

There are some interesting threads about akathisia in the Symptoms section.   It does sound like you have it the way you've described it throughout your thread.

It will go away just like all the other symptoms.

Sit tight , hope you feel better soon ,   Fresh

1987-1997 pertofran , prothiaden , Prozac 1997-2002 Zoloft 2002-2004 effexor 2004-2010 Lexapro 40mg

2010-2012Cymbalta 120mg

Sept. 2012 -decreased 90mg in 6months. Care taken over by Dr Lucire in March 2013 , decreased last 30mg at 2mg per week over 3 months. July 21 , 2013- last dose of Cymbalta

Protracted withdrawal syndrome kicked in badly Jan.2014 Unrelenting akathisia until May 2014. Voluntary hosp. admission. Cocktail of Seroquel, Ativan and mirtazapine and I was well enough to go home after 14 days. Stopped all hosp. meds in next few months.

July 2014 felt v.depressed - couldn't stop crying. Started pristiq 50mg. Felt improvement within days and continued to improve, so stayed on 50mg for 8 months.

Began taper 28 Feb. 2015. Pristiq 50mg down to 45mg. Had one month of w/d symptoms. Started CES therapy in March. No w/d symptoms down to 30mg.

October 2015 , taking 25mg Pristiq. Capsules compounded with slow-release additive.

March 2016 , 21mg

Yup, I think I definitely have it if it's all of that. This is so terrible.