Moonstoneblue: just come off Prozac

moonstoneblue

Hi everyone, I know it's been a while. I've been struggling the last few days. I worry a lot about everything. I feel pretty down. I feel like I don't kno how to deal with each day of work, and I wish my life away. It must be neuro emotions, but I get so worried what if I'm going to be one of those people that do need tablets their whole life? I know down days are natural it's just when they do happen I panic.

I have to admit I get so moody sometimes and I worry. I hate being moody to my parents but when it happens im so seething I can't control it.

What if I'm just a nasty, moody person and didn't know it before? I get those moods but at the same time I feel so bad.

I don't know. I'm sure it will all be ok one day.

I've also applied for a provisional driving license ( on Prozac I could never be bothered). I've also decided I will apply for an open university course in psychology. I'm scared I'll fail though, or mess it up. So I'll only apply when I'm 100% sure.

2001 - Prozac 20mg for a week weeks   2001- Venelaxafine 37.5 mg  2006 - Ciptralex 10mg I think   2008 - Mirtazipine (not sure of dose, was the lowest though).  2008 - Citalopram (standard dose)  2009 - Prozac 20mg until 29 Feb 2016  2016 - Setraline 25mg for 3 days (from March 3rd until March 5th).  2016 - 11th March Reinstated 5mg prozac. 26th May 2016 down to 4.5mg Prozac. 26June 2016 down to 4mg prozac. Back up to 5mg on 3rd July 2016.

Supplements - B- Complex, Flaxseed oil, L-lysine 1000mg, Iron 20mg. Spirulina 500mg. Quest Synergist Magnesium 150mg, Salmon oil 1000mg twice a day, Evening Primrose oil 500mg. 

Cipralex 10mg 17th July 2016.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• moonstoneblue

• Fresh

• Altostrata

• KarenB

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Moonstoneblue

I can totally relate to what you are saying with the Neuton emotions. For me I find them more difficult than the other symptoms to deal with .

In my experience it does pass if you stabilize on a doze and hold steady on that dose for a good while.

Wish I could take my own advice so anxious to get off Prozac now that I have reached such a low level .6 ml.

Now is the time to be slower and even more careful.

It really is a roller coaster journey which I think I will be on for another year at least.

I'm only over the Severn bridge.

Sending you kind wishes from Bristol

Reflex????

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

Well done for taking control and considering a provisional driving license and psychology course.

It will give you something else to think about other than AD's.

Dec 2005 prozac following period of bullying by collegue 2006 changed to Citalapram 20- increased to 40mg

April 2014 decision to come off A.D. Gp appointment swapped to seralatine (lustral)50 as a means of getting off A.D .

raised to 100. 14.7.14 5 weeks taper on doctors recommendation.28th July finished reduction. 4.8.14- 9.9.14 severe withdrawal effects. 13.10.14 reinstatement of 20mg Prozac.dec 2014 started gradual taper 10% every 3 weeks. 14.9.15 1.6 ml currently. Some minor withdrawal effects but holding firm. 10% reduction every 3 weeks. Reached .8 experienced withdrawal symptoms held for longer . 7.4.16 currently on .7ml Prozac. More difficult the lower you go. 25.7.16 holding at .57 ml for a while as period of stress and withdrawal.

2.9.16 Hip operation prescribed codeine and paracetamol for the pain. Stopped after three weeks for fear of addiction. following period of instability and withdrawal symptoms updosed to 1. Ml 28.10.16.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I'm back.

I'm not back with good news though :( I've just upped my Prozac to 5mg again. I'm in tears. I feel so depressed. I've even felt suicidal, I'd never do anything silly but I feel so low I feel that I just want it all to be over. I don't see an end in sight. Every day is a struggle. I'm exhausted, take things personally, stress over everything and even though I've register to do an open uni course I feel like I'm too stupid to do it. I've been very moody lately.

So I've just upped to 5mg and I hope it will make me feel a little better soon.

Sorry this post is a downer, I try to remain positive but I think everything has got to me lately.

2001 - Prozac 20mg for a week weeks   2001- Venelaxafine 37.5 mg  2006 - Ciptralex 10mg I think   2008 - Mirtazipine (not sure of dose, was the lowest though).  2008 - Citalopram (standard dose)  2009 - Prozac 20mg until 29 Feb 2016  2016 - Setraline 25mg for 3 days (from March 3rd until March 5th).  2016 - 11th March Reinstated 5mg prozac. 26th May 2016 down to 4.5mg Prozac. 26June 2016 down to 4mg prozac. Back up to 5mg on 3rd July 2016.

Supplements - B- Complex, Flaxseed oil, L-lysine 1000mg, Iron 20mg. Spirulina 500mg. Quest Synergist Magnesium 150mg, Salmon oil 1000mg twice a day, Evening Primrose oil 500mg. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hey Moonstone,

Firstly, hugs :).  I see a few posts back you were feeling not so great.  I can't tell from your signature, so what has been your journey between 'Prozac 20mg on 29 Feb' and your most recent reinstatement?  If you could list the date of each dose change in your signature, it'd really help us form a picture of what is happening for you. 

None of w/d is easy, and you've actually done really well getting down to 5mg - a quarter of where you were.  It may be that a break is in order, just holding at 5mg for a good long while till you feel ready to tackle that last leg of your taper.  

More hugs,

Karen 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hi Karen, thank you :) thank you for the hugs :)

I've just logged onto my computer to update my signature :) So I hope that makes it all a bit easier to understand. I think I know what you'll say though, I reduced my dose too quickly  :unsure: I really thought I could do it. I panicked looking at my bottle of prozac becoming less and less each day, so I thought I better reduce because I didn't want the stress of going back to the DRs and them trying to get me on a different AD. So I thought I'd try to be tough and do it, and well it hasn't worked. 

I'm going to make an appointment with a new Dr at the surgery now and see if she'll agree to prescribing me 5mg as long as I need it.

I don't know if it's because I've got this off my chest or because I've upped to 5mg but I feel a tiny bit better, feel a little less helpless. 

Thank you for the more hugs :)

Hugs to you too Karen xxxxx

• Moderator Emeritus

Moonstoneblue, it seems as if everyone has at least one sticky or tricky dose of their medication, one that's difficult to go below.  Once you've discovered it, it seems as if it's best to hang out there for a while and work on non-drug techniques and supportive lifestyle changes. 

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.
1997-1999 Effexor; 2002-2005 Effexor XR 37.5 mg linear taper, dropping same #beads/week with bad results

Cymbalta 60 mg 2012 - 2015; 2016: 20 mg to 7 mg exact doses and dates in this post; 2017: 6.3 mg to  0.0 mg  Aug. 12; details here

scallywag's Introduction
Online spreadsheet for dose taper calculations and nz11's THE WORKS spreadsheet

Hi scallywag, thank you for your reply :)

I've tried to make lots of positive changes with my life. I do Pilates, taken up crochet, I eat well (have a few naughty days) and I go to see a cbt therapist. It's just some days I feel inferior and stupid compared to other girls my age. I'm 32, single, part time job, live with my parents. And I see all these girls my age with boyfriends or husbands, owning their own homes and cars (I can't drive, always been too unconfident to try, but that's one positive thing I have done, I've applied for my provisional the last week). My niece who's 21 has just had her first baby and owns her own home with her fiancé. I feel like the freak of the family because I don't even know if I want a baby anymore. When I was in my 20s I was engaged and was about to own my own home with my fiancé, and were planning babies until he cheated and went off with her.

I've tried, I've tried so hard to try and get things sorted for years but I fall all the time.

I read books on positive attitudes etc but people just put me down all the time. People belittle me all the time, it may not seem a big deal to them but to me it feels like a dagger to the heart each time and all I can do is joke and smile my way out each time.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just finding it all so hard.

Hi moonstoneblue, I can relate to your story a lot!

I'm still living with my mum at 35, single and have a part time job too, my sisters both have their own houses and families, as well as all my friends, which makes me feel like a loser at life, especially as I'd been living away from home for about 7 years before moving back home. But if I'd been living on my own going through this I'd have had to work full-time to pay rent/bills (I pay board but it's half what a rented flat + bills would be) and I don't know if I'd have coped to be honest. Modern day society does have a stigma against people living with their parents past mid-20s, but in the 'old days' there'd have been several generations living together! i just tell myself I'm from another time lol. And it's not permanent - you'll find your own way when the time is right  :)

And well done on applying for your provisional! 

2002 - Prescribed fluoxetine 20mg for mild situational depression and anxiety. Over the years also briefly swapped about on citalopram, sertraline and venlafaxine during poop out. 2012 - Cold turkeyed fluoxetine. Within 3 months was suffering from aggression, anxiety, panic attacks and paranoia. GP put me back on tablets as I was 'relapsing'. I didn't know anything about WD then. Jul 15 - Wanted to quit fluoxetine again so tapered off (skipping doses) over 6 weeks under advice of GP. Aug 15 - Last fluoxetine dose end of August 2015. Dec 15 - Had my first real crash after discontinuing. Found this site. Aug-Dec 16 - Signed off work because of a herniated disc & severe sciatica. Prescribed diazepam (took for 6 days and got WD symptoms on stopping; nausea, morning cortisol spikes, anxiety, anger) and codeine which I was on for 4 mths. Can confirm - opiate WD is nasty but nowhere near as bad or prolonged as SSRI WD!
Withdrawal symptoms have included: extreme anger and irritability, lethargy, depression and weepiness, anxiety, stomach upsets, loss of appetite, excessive sweating, muscle and back pain, insomnia, cortisol surges, akathisia, inability to cope with stress.
Things that help: herbal tinctures (rose, lemon balm, chamomile and skullcap), seaweed baths & epsom salt baths, fish oil and magnesium.

• 1 month later...

Hi, it's been a while since I've been here.

For the last two months I've been getting myself deeper and deeper into depression. Last Monday went back to Drs and we decided 10mg would be good. I feel that the depression has lifted maybe a tad but now I'm back to square one with panic attacks. I've just had such a bad one I didn't know what to do, so I've come here.

Is it because I've upped my dose from 5mg to 10mg that this is happening. :(

• Administrator

When did the panic attacks start in relation to your Prozac dosing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Hi Alto, I went back onto 10mg prozac last Monday. All my symptoms that I was having from the 20mg prozac reared their heads, and my anxiety and depression has been so bad that I had to take the tough decision to go back to the doctors today and ask for a different AD instead. I'm upset all the hard work has been for nothing, but I really feel I need to go onto something, but Prozac isn't for me anymore.

I've been given 10mg of Cipralex, so I suppose we'll see how it goes. I just want to be able to get back to normal life again. My work life has been so affected :( I've felt a lack of enjoyment from life and everyday has just filled me with dread and despair for the past 2 months. I hoped upping to 10mg of prozac would help, but my anxiety has gone sky high like it was before :/

I'm really disappointed. 

• Moderator Emeritus

And how have the last few days been? 

2010  Fluoxetine 20mg.  2011  Escitalopram 20mg.  2013 Tapered badly and destabilised CNS.  Effexor 150mg. 

2015 Begin using info at SurvivingAntidepressants.  Cut 10% - bad w/d 2 months, held 1 month. 

Micro-tapering: four weekly 0.4% cuts, hold 4 weeks (struggling with symptoms).

8 month hold.

2017 Micro-tapering: four weekly 1% cuts, hold 4 weeks (symptoms almost non-existent).

2020 Still micro-tapering. Just over 2/3 of the way off effexor. Minimal symptoms, - and sleeping well.
Supplements: Fish oil, vitamin C, iron, oat-straw tea, nettle tea.

2023 December - Now on 5 micro-beads Effexor. Minimal symptoms but much more time needed between drops. Symptoms begin to increase.

2024 April - Updosed to 6 microbeads - immediate increase in symptoms for 4 days. Decreased to 5 microbeads.

'The possibility of renewal exists so long as life exists.'  Dr Gabor Mate.

Hey Karen, I've been good the last few days :) I think I'm suiting cipralex/lexapro. Really disappointed I can't come off ADs, I think I need them right now though. Maybe i'll try again once I'm back on track again :)

How are you? I hope you're well?

Hi Moonstoneblue,

I just read your thread and am sorry you have had a rough go of it.  I am glad you are doing well on Lexapro.  How was the switch done?  Are you still on Prozac as well?

I hope you are back on track (as you put it!) again soon! 

-1/06 - 3/07 Cymbalta. Fast taper (essentially CT); withdrawal symptoms after 4 mos (didn't realize was WD)

-10/07: 100 mg Zoloft; 1 mg Klonopin - tapered off Klonopin after 4 mos. Several unsuccessful slow tapers of Zoloft; went up and down in dose a lot

-Spring 2013 back on 1 mg Klonopin to counter WD symptoms; switched over 5-6 mos from Zoloft to 35 mg citalopram
-Two attempts at slow tapering citalopram, always increased dose due to WD; also increased Klonopin to 1.25 mg in 2014, then to 1.5 mg in 2015

-8/17-9/17: After holding one year at 20 mg, feeling withdrawal symptoms due to stress - slowly increased to 25 mg. No change in symptoms after 6 months (? tolerance ?)  - decided to start citalopram taper February 2018 (still on Klonopin 1.5 mg).

Supplements: fish oil; magnesium; vitamin D3; curcumin

Citalopram taper:  2/2018 - 12/2019: 25 mg - 11.03 mg I 2020: 10.89 mg - 7.9 mg I 2021: 7.8 mg - 5.26 mg I 2022: 5.2 mg - 3.36 mg I 2023: 3.3 mg - 1.47 mg 2024: 1/5/24: 1.44 mg; 1/19/24: 1.40 mg; 1/26/24: 1.37 mg; 2/2/24: 1.34 mg; 2/9/24: 1.31 mg; 2/23/24: 1.28 mg; 3/1/24: 1.25 mg; 3/8/24: 1.22 mg; 3/15/24: 1.19 mg; 3/29/24: 1.17 mg; 4/5/24: 1.14 mg; 4/13/24: 1.11 mg; 4/20/24: 1.09 mg; 4/27/24: 1.06 mg

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hey Moonstone - you've been on the cipralex for a few months now, how is it going?

Did it knock the withdrawals out?  Were there any symptoms during transition?

How are you now?

I hope you see the sun today - 

- "sillycat!"   :D

"Easy, easy - just go easy and you'll finish." - Hawaiian Kapuna

Holding is hard work, holding is a blessing. Give your brain time to heal before you try again.

My suggestions are not medical advice, you are in charge of your own medical choices.

A lifetime of being prescribed antidepressants that caused problems (30 years in total). At age 35 flipped to "bipolar," but was not diagnosed for 5 years. Started my journey in Midwest United States. Crossed the Pacific for love and hope; currently living in Australia.   CT Seroquel 25 mg some time in 2013.   Tapered Reboxetine 4 mg Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 = GONE (3 years on Reboxetine).     Tapered Lithium 900 to 475 MG (alternating with the SNRI) Jan 2014 - Nov 2014, tapered Lithium 475 mg Jan 2015 -  Feb 2016 = GONE (10 years  on Lithium).  Many mistakes in dry cutting dosages were made.

The tedious thread (my intro):  JanCarol ☼ Reboxetine first, then Lithium

The happy thread (my success story):  JanCarol - Undiagnosed  Off all bipolar drugs

My own blog:  https://shamanexplorations.com/shamans-blog/

I have been psych drug FREE since 1 Feb 2016!

• 2 years later...

Hi everyone, I want to just write a brief concise introduction, but it’s all complicated but I’ll try :) 

So I joined here a few years ago, at the time I was tapering my Prozac, however with my job and everything at the time I went back to my doctors and went into lexapro 10mg. I did manage to taper the Prozac to 15mg or 12mg. This all happened in 2016 and I went into lexapro near the end of summer 2016. 

On November 21st of 2016 I came down with glandular fever which was really bad, and left me with chronic fatigue syndrome, which I still have. 

Lately I’ve noticed my anxiety get much, much worse and really bad mood swings. My anxiety was as if I wanted to up and bolt all the time, even when trying to sleep when I was exhausted. 

So I decided last week to taper from the lexapro. I’ve tapeted all week at around 7.5mg and I plan on staying on that amount for a while. My dosage calculations probably aren’t right as I’m using a pill cutter to try to divide my tablet. 

What I have noticed all week is more extreme tiredness than usual, and crazy dizziness. But since I have CFS I have really bad bouts of fatigue and dizziness anyway. 

I was just wondering if tapering lexapro causes extreme fatigue? Other than that I feel okay. I don’t have that weird euphoric feeling I had when I tried tapering Prozac. 

I also feel feel that when I tried tapering in 2016 off the Prozac that it left my immune and lymphatic system a bit messed up.

im just trying to work everything out really. 

• Moderator Emeritus
29 minutes ago, moonstoneblue said:

On November 21st of 2016 I came down with glandular fever

Were you given any drugs for this?  If yes, what were they?

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

4 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Were you given any drugs for this?  If yes, what were they?

Hi chessiecat, thanks for linking to my old post, I couldn’t find it. 

No, I didn’t have any drugs for the glandular fever, just a paracetamol now and then. 

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, moonstoneblue said:

No, I didn’t have any drugs for the glandular fever,

That's good.

Please update your drug signature.  Thanks.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

Sounds like you've had a rough ride, complicated by too fast tapers and switching drugs etc. I think I'm still feeling the effects of stopping too fast (over 8 months) a year ago, which is why it's important to try and stabilize and have a super slow taper schedule. The brain and body need a lot of time to recover from that much antidepressant use. I hope you find some stability soon, I know how awful the anxiety can be. Best of luck x

2008-2013 - Various meds on and off since age 18 incl. Sertraline, Prozac, Mirtazipine, Abilify. Prescribed for severe OCD.

CT'd several times over these years and reinstated after subsequent psych hospitalisations.

2014-2015 - Clomipramine, quetiapine and Epilum

2015-Jan 2017 - Prozac 40mg (stopped contraceptive pill, most stable period of time)

(Beginning of taper) Jan-October 2017 - Tapered Prozac to zero.

15 Jan 2018 - Reinstated Prozac at 2mg due to acute w/d symptoms

February 2018 - tapered to 1.8mg

May 2018 - reinstated at 5mg due to severe w/d symptoms. 9 month hold, stabilized well at around 6/7 months.

March 2019 - Tapered to 4.9mg

Current supplements: fish oils, probiotic, ashwaganda, colostrum powder, cannabis

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sorry I haven’t been back until now :) for the first week of tapering down my fatigue was terrible, but at the same time my body clock corrected itself and for the first time in yonks I get up at proper times, with a little nap in between. 

My mood so far is fine (touch wood) my period is due in six days though, and my period is when I suffer with depression, so I’m very nervous.

What I wanted to ask if does tapering down a little on lexapro give you an early period? I feel a bit crampy like mine is going to happen soon 😬

• Moderator Emeritus

pms-and-menstrual-cycle-issues-during-withdrawal

On 10/26/2018 at 4:32 PM, ChessieCat said:

Please update your drug signature.  Thanks.  Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I thought I’d pop over to just say I’m doing fine. I’m down to 5mg of lexapro. Happened by accident as when I was cutting the tablet it got a little smaller than expected. My mood seems fine, except yesterday when I had an essay result which was low, l felt quite upset. I’m going to stay on 5mg now for a month or two. My period seems to be normal again, and my boobs have reduced in size, not by much, but by enough for me to notice. 

I hope others are doing okay too :) 

Sending all my love. 

Hey everyone, so I started feeling a little depressed tonight, but I seem to be having a bit of spotting (or period), so I’m guessing that was the cause of my low mood. If it is my period, it will be 5 days early. Starting to worry why my periods are irregular. My periods stopped once when I took evening primrose oil, so I feel like it’s all haywire right now. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I’m having a lull in mood. I’m a bit worried. A lot of stressful things have been happening and when I’ve needed friends most they’ve all disappeared. Had an ultrasound on lymph nodes in my neck today and almost passed out in panic. Anyway, hopefully it will all pass :) 

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi moonstoneblue, 

How is your mood now? What were the results of the ultrasound, I hope all is well💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.

• ChessieCat changed the title to Moonstoneblue: just come off Prozac