☼ Claudius

Claudius

So glad Claudius...just felt compelled to tell you about my experience...when I have more time I will properly introduce myself in the 'Introductions' board.

*Poly-drugged since May 2011 (14 meds in 4 months-paradox. reactions to all). From mild anxiety to almost psychosis on meds. IT IS THE MEDS, NOT ME!

*Elavil:

75 mg -> 56 (3d)

56 -> 37.5 (3d)

37.5 -> 18 (3d)

37.5 (3d)

Imipramine:

37.5 mg (1 wk)

37.5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,10/08/11): akathisia!

5 mg -> 0 (1 mo,11/29/11)

Now in w/d hell and missing my old self.

Please go to http://www.askapatient.com and leave a review of your med(s) and w/d experience. This site opened my eyes and saved me.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Claudius

• Altostrata

• stan

• Maybe

Hi there Claudius.I too have been trying to get off an antidepressant,cipralex for over 5 years.I tried many times to get off but only now relize I was doing it way to fast.The withdrawl was horrible each time.I felt totally rage and irritation each time.Now im doing it very slowly.I do have some thoughts about your situation.I know u feel really quilty for the things you did to your former bully.but i WOULD NOT i think you had ever right to be angry and try to get back at him.He deserved it all .You did not kill him so forgive yourself.bullys are evil people and I for one think that its awesome you stood up for yourself.There is nothing wrong with that.Know i know its not healthly to stay in an angry place forever but it does have a place.Its healthy and normal to feel angry after abuse.Dont feel bad for that.That is what could be keeping you stuck.

Thanx Renee for your kind and wise words :) I do not really feel guilty about what I did, but just a bit of a freak because of the way I did. I would have been better when I just had gone to his home and gave him what he deserved, a firm beating which we would not overcome for a month or so... ;) But of course I did not and only threatend and offended him on the internet, first under a false name but when my anger reach boiling point I dropped the mask of anonimity.

I think it has some place now... it was just a terrible experience in a time I had little family support and little friends and lived on my own for the first time in a small and dirty room. The fact that my bully now is married, a succesful business man and a millionaire did rob me of all sense of justice. But we all know, there is not always justice. Also the GSK criminals got rich from Seroxat/PAxil, over the corpses of many innocent victims.

The only thing is that my bully appeared to be fathered a child with Down syndrome. I sometimes think about whether this will have affected his way of thinking about "inferior people"... beause that is one of the things he called me.

But enough about my bully, I can live with it now, have no plans to ever contact him anymore and just want to heal and get a job :)

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

Well see!Karmas a ***** funny how he had a child like that.I believe we all attract what we put out.One good thing I think about going through experiences like u,is a person does develope compassion for fellow man/women.It may seem like he has it all but in the end its what kind of person we are and how we treat others and how we FEEL that matters.Carry on my friend,lets bring up our vibration as much as we can! It is poeple like us that have the courage that i admire the most.ONE DAY AT A TIME

OMG, I am still in a pretty nasty wave and is has worsened last week... now at more than 4 years off!!! I celebrated Christmas with my family but probably must cancel my 3 day trip with O&N because the tinglings are pretty bad now! Even working/studying is no option right now.

I get really really sick and tired of this and do not know whether I will ever recover... surely I had some better days but now at more than 50 months (!!!!!!) I had expected a it more :(

Anyway I wish everybody here a good 2012 and hope for further recovery!

after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

hello Claudius,

sorry for you,

incredible after so many months to have return,

ADs are really poison for the body;

i wish you this wave will be extra-short

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

Claudius~

I hope you're feeling better soon

It seems that many of us had a downturn around the holidays • perhaps it is a stressor even for those who generally enjoy it

Wishing you healing in 2012„Claudius

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Stan and Barbara, I wish you a good 2012 with more healing and new wisdom :) I am still in the wave, nasty electrical sensations but in fact it is the last symptom together with the sound sensitivity, many other symptoms are gone so there IS improvement! I am pretty sure we will finally heal from this, but it just takes so darn long!!!

By the way I did go to the NY party weekend from my hiking club and despite some ongoing symptoms I had a good time :)

• Administrator

Claudius, look at that post! It's amazing. We've come a long way together, my friend, one foot in front of the other.

I'm so glad to see you finding yourself in so many ways.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Glad to hear about the improvements, Claudius!

'94-'08 On/off ADs. Mostly Zoloft & Wellbutrin, but also Prozac, Celexa, Effexor, etc.
6/08 quit Z & W after tapering, awful anxiety 3 mos. later, reinstated.
11/10 CTed. Severe anxiety 3 mos. later & @ 8 mos. much worse (set off by metronidazole). Anxiety, depression, anhedonia, DP, DR, dizziness, severe insomnia, high serum AM cortisol, flu-like feelings, muscle discomfort.
9/11-9/12 Waves and windows of recovery.
10/12 Awful relapse, DP/DR. Hydrocortisone?
11/12 Improved fairly quickly even though relapse was one of worst waves ever.

1/13 Best I've ever felt.

3/13 A bit of a relapse... then faster and shorter waves and windows.

4/14 Have to watch out for triggers, but feel completely normal about 80% of the time.

• 1 month later...

One more little update, now at a staggering 52 months! Some good news and some not so good news...

The good news is that I went to a neurologist some months ago, she listened carefully to my story and suggested to do some cognitive tests, just to exclude the possibility of cognitive damage. I offered my full cooperation, even was it only to show my good intentions and eliminate the always threatening accusationsof not wwilling to work with a doctor... I did tthe tests which were in fact a pleasant thing to do and the outcome was I am perfectly normal in this field. Not a strange outcome because my congnitive abilities are pretty normal again and it is just the ongoing neuropathic stuff driving me crazy.

LAst week I had a second consult with the neurologist to talk about the results. I ashowed her the email I got from dr. Healy and dr. Shipko and she was very interested! Besides I showed her a summary of the Paxil Petition site with lots of reports about intolerable and torturous withdrawal and she was absolutely shocked and did not dismiss any of it! She admitted that this was completely new for her but did not show any doubt about the reality of it!

So she is on my side and is willing to help me with a official diagnosis which will be sometihng like a "persistent adverse drug effect triggered by going off Paxil too quickly after using it too long".

The worse news is that my symptoms are pretty bad since the last weeks again, emotionally I am almost stable, ruminations under control but the jolts and tinglings in chest and arms and the associated eye twitching are awful again and prevent me from resuming work and study. I had some moments I felt that the turning pont is lurking in the not so far distance, but actually I feel like a donkey walking after a carrot hanging from a stick tight to itself, as a Dutch proverb is. And after almost 4.5 years, I feel soooo desperate!!! When, OMG when will this ever xcome to and end??? Will it ever come?

• Administrator

FYI, I just reviewed the diagnosis I got:

293.83 Mood disorder due to serotonin withdrawal syndrome.

According to the FDA and DSM-IV:

DSM IV Diagnostic criteria for 293.83 Mood Disorder Due to …[indicate the General Medical Condition]

• A. A prominent and persistent disturbance in mood predominates in the clinical picture and is characterized by either (or both) of the following:

1. depressed mood or markedly diminished interest or pleasure in all, or almost all, activities

2. elevated, expansive, or irritable mood

• B. There is evidence from the history, physical examination, or laboratory findings that the disturbance is the direct physiological consequence of a general medical condition.

• C. The disturbance is not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., Adjustment Disorder with Depressed Mood in response to the stress of having a general medical condition).

• D. The disturbance does not occur exclusively during the course of a delirium.

• E. The symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

Hmm sounds like a very "psychiatric" diagnosis, from a doctor who is DSM oriented instead of human being-oriented...

Alto may I ask you for how long you are off the meds now? I am really really scared because I have passed the ultimated time periode of 4 years now by almost one half year. I know some people needs even more time but I feel the clock ticking about having any chance of having a new career. Not that we can change anything about it but I just want so eagerly resume my life! Probably just as anybody here :)

• Administrator

It's the diagnosis he gave the insurance company so I could get disability payments.

There is no ultimate time period for recovery, Claudius. I'm off Paxil since October 2004.

OMG that means you are 3 years ahead of me! Can you tell which symptoms you are still experiencing? And did you at least make some progression in the last years?

This again makes me very sad... but hanging on is the only option I am afraid. Thanks.

• Administrator

My major symptoms are sleeplessness and heart palpitations. And tiredness, probably from too-little sleep.

But Claudius, each person is different. I'm a menopausal woman, I think withdrawal syndrome hit me very hard.

Thanks Alto, we are in the same boat that we were hit exceptionally hard by w/d syndrome. But my symptoms are apparently completely different from yours. Probably comparing symtoms makes little sense, I still suffer from neuropathic oversensitivity and some other stuff, really hope that this year will finally bring relief...

Alto,

Is withdrawal more difficult when you are menopausal? I'm 46 in peri-menopause and find myself suffering worse PMS than ever before.

Rosie

2009 Efexor 75mg tapered twice

November 2011 Pristiq 50 mg

January 2012 Pristiq 100 mg, became very dizzy and anxious with a lot negative thinking! Ear aches, eye pain, headaches, bruxism, night sweats.

Currently on 30 mg of compounded Pristiq

• Administrator

I believe it does hit women whose female hormones have diminished particularly hard, Rosie.

But again, it's difficult to generalize. A lot of women say withdrawal exacerbates their PMS.

hi Claudius,

it is a long time,

i think you have classic waves of some "residuals"; maybe some cases have waves(normally less and less intense)during years; because what i have seen is nerves heal or worsen (MS, ALS...) with "waves" or "cycles cyclic" is french and better word for me, and at the end people say linear; i think there is never linear with nerves, it is up and down until the "end", but the up and down are so close that we feel linear, but it is not...

courage and time is our friend!...

for anxiety 

12 years paxil - cold turkey 1,5 month - switch celexa 1 year taper; total 13 years on brain meds 

67 years old - 9 years  med free

in protracted withdrawal

rigidity standing and walking, dryness gougerot-szoegren, sleep deteriorate,

function as have a lack of nerves, improving have been very little 

THanks Stan, and I agree with most you say.

We need more time, and although I am in a wave, the progress since 3-4-years ago is in fact enormous! WE will heal from this, I gues I will need 1-2 years more but if my last and most stubborn symptom is gone, world is waiting for me...

I read you still have a hard time too, 3 years off appears to be not very much in this process.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from a holiday of 8 weeks, with my mother to Spain and Portugal. I did most of the driving, we had good weather and visisted many beautiful places.

But in the midst I was hit by a nasty cold and by an awful wave... maybe even the wave was triggered/aplified by the cold? My mother noticed my eyes rolling and I had some episodes of crying and feeling desparate. And those electrical currents!!! Luckily she handled it very well. She has also her own health problems which I tried to be supportive as much as I could.

So overall I enjoyed my first air trip in 4.5 years but feel very sick now. Wiyth the torturous neuro stuff and zaps back with revenge. OMG after 52 months.... when/if will this ever end?

Hey Claudius,

I am sorry to hear that you are in a wave again. Sounds like it definitely was started or amplified by your cold. I guess that is quite normal as many have reported it.

Nevertheless, you are much better than the previous years, so healing is taking place. I experience it myself, even though I am still not there, yet.

If you are in a bad spot again and lose hope, just think of Charly who has recovered fully from a bad reaction!

I hope that you will much better again soon!

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.

Thanks MAybe, I just read that I wrote that I returned from a 8 weeks holiday... of course I meant 8 days! I cannot imagine to go on holiday now for 8 weeks... or it must be a holiday in a wellness center :)

I know that healing takes place, but vannot grab why I apparently belong to the worst of the worst cases, after being on the lowest dose for a moderate periode and havong no psychiatric past or used other drugs. But that goes for you in an even bigger extents, after having taken only a few pills.

I still think of Charly many times, even wrote him a massage lately and hope you will continue to recover too. It is just such a long long way....

• Administrator

Hi Claudius,

I saw an eight week holiday and assumed that Europeans just get to take longer vacations than those of us in the US - LOL! An eight day holiday is something I can relate to better.

I'm sending you healing thoughts and hoping that very soon you break into a long healing window that lasts.

Love and light

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

Thanx Karma for your kind words, the love and the light :) And here in Europe we normally have more holidays than in the US, but since I am off work for more than 4 years now due to w/d, this does not matter much for me anymore. My plan is IF and WHEN I consider myself as fully recovered, I will go on a holiday for at least several weeks! I had expected that point way earlier but after almost 4,5 years, I apparently need even more patience. I still may praise myself lucky to have support but it also makes me angry I cannot hold the "doctor" who put me on this evil drug resonsible for the enormous damage he did to me by his "treatment"...

But that counts for all of us, of course.

Wish you the same and I still have some confidence we will one day emerge from this, and even as stronger humans.

• 2 weeks later...

Some bad news, what I already feared for years has finally come true, the social security has decided that I did not do anything to get better and find a job... and now I will be punished by an almost completely cutoff of financial support, a recudtion from about 1400 euro to 400 euro. Not even half the rent of my appartment. I phoned the contact person, she was pretty kind and confirmed the bureaucracy of the system but urged me that the only way of getting ongoing support is a new medical test with a letter from the "treating medical doctor" that my condition is not treatable... and so I am trapped.

I phoned my mum and was in tears again, I so eagerly want to hunt for a job but the ongoing zaps make it impossible. I have some savings which I can burn to make it at elast one year more... and thanks to my mum I will not end on the street yet... Still working on some private projects but these bring me only some marginal extra money, but I feel defeated and broken now :( :(

A bit recovered from the news that my financial supply is minimized, thanks to my savings, my family and money earned with my programming projects I can ride it out for some more time. And again, I have a feeling that I am about to turn the corner. In my desperation of last week, O wrote a mail to Charly G and he assured me that he had vast recovery in his 5th and even 6th year and I should never give up. And today I did some good programming work and had some good conversations with potentional employers who praied my enthousiasm and verbal qualities... so not everything is damaged beyond repair between my ears! MAybe it is still a window and the nasty chest jolts are still there but again more to the surface and I know they will finally go. I still consider myself as among the very worst cases of WD bot the good news is that if I will heal, I am sure absolutely everybody does! So again some new sparks of hope.

Edited by Altostrata
changed name for privacy

• Administrator

It's so hard, but you're doing a beautiful job of forging ahead, Claudius.

Thanks Alto, I think we all do here... :)

In fact I feel very close to healed last week, although I know I must not hang out the flag too early...

Furthermore, today I suddenly decided to once more try to call the old telephone number of the Prozac Survivors Group in the Netherlands, and to my great astonishment and surprise the founder of it, mr. Van den Meerendonk answered the phone and I had a long, very pleasant and interesting conversation with him! Though the group does not exist anymore it its old form, he was still active in the matter and now reviewing David Healy's last book, Pharmageddon.

He asked me which symptoms I still had and did not have anymore and together with the way I talked he said he was pretty optimistic about my recovery perspective. So my day is a bit saved again :)

Claudis, hi, i have it in black & white that my Tardive Dystonia,Tardive Dyskinesia & Restless Leg syndrome was caused by Stemetil & Seroxat. the eletric shocks were awful,like they've go on for years after the hospital stopped Seroxat.

i can't read all the posts in the thread- my head pulls to the side with the Tardive Dystonia(sometimes my husband reads/writes for me). my involuantary movements only started when i went on the Seroxat. i read the PIL with the drug. i could never have understood the impact the "adverse effects" and then some! would have on me.

my GP prescribed Amitriptyline for Neuropathic pain, tryclic antidepressant,she's told me to come off it,i had terrible withdrawls just dropping 1 night& have had to put it back up for now.

don't let doctors fob you off, you're not alone with the Seroxat hell. it's well over 10 yrs ago that i took Seroxat. i've been told the damage for me is permanent now.

i think my situation was made worse by dr's when i was admitted to hospital stopping & starting several antidpressants- no wash out periods! i believe it created a very toxic cocktail,the damage has been life changing& not for the better.

look after yourself, 1 day at a time x

• 2 weeks later...

I am shocked to read this Hope, 10 years in an incredible time and it seems that people can be damaged forever by this poison. I am now at 4.5 years and though I did not swallow anthing else than Paxil, several failed c/t aattempts surely did havoc to my CNS.

But some good news, my condition has improved again, I finished a nice trip to Germany last week and made it without major problems. And I earned my first money since the start of w/d by delivering 2 websites to personal clients who are very confident with it! And today I had a first job application converstion!

Still not out of the woods completely due to the tardive electrical symptoms, but overal way better and I feel the turning point approaching. So some way more to go...

• Administrator

Claudius, so very happy to hear this!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Claudius where have you been in Germany?

Great that you can travel...

solida

Sept.2007 Citalopram for burn out,reverse reaction

Paroxetin 20mg,5 weeks,had to stop because of reverse reaction

after a manic episode,severe withdrawal hit after 6 weeks,

hospitalization twice,during the first 2 years withdrawal got worse and worse

disabled since

Hey Claudius where have you been in Germany?

Great that you can travel...

solida

Hi Solida, I was in Dortmund for 3 days, we visited some good pubs and made some trips. Infact I was able to travel throughout the whole WD period, even in the first year. Although I felt terrible I was able to drive and had no extreme anxiety but was just over sensitive to sensory overload and could not cope with my past.

I really hope for more recovery this year, I am back om some kind of wave again now although it is not as bad as it was. I am rejected for my recent job application (it was not a job I really wanted) but hesitate to apply again because of the symptoms. But I still believe in further healing this year, and next month I will make a 4 day trip to Belgium and look forward to that :)

• 1 month later...

56 months update:

Some little update while approaching the 5 years mark! Is is really unbelievable I made it through so far without being able to work and so little family support, except from my mother. Actually I still do not consider myself as recovered, hit again by a wave with some of the old symptoms. But I am able to do my programming work even in a wave so that means at least progression in the last year. Again I am occupied by nasty ruminations about my failing in both relationships and work but I have at least confidence in further recovery from WD and think I will need maybe 6 years in total. My massage therapist, always of great help think thinks will be healed within one half year now.

I am concentrating now on my work from home and will try to hint for a job again when this wave is passed, and it sure will pass. My greater concern is finding some love and luck in life and in fact that is a greater concern now than the questing whether WD will end :)

Hello Claudius!

I am very happy to hear that you are finally at a point where withdrawal does not play the major role in your life anymore! That is sooo great to read!!

Still,I of course wish you even more healing in the coming months until this mess is over for sure :)

End of 2008: Remeron 15mg for around 2 months. Unorthodox taper, no problems.
End of August 2009: Lexapro 10mg for only 4 days. Panic attack after 3 pills. Severe gastro problems in the morning for 3 days after last pill. 2 weeks later strong w/d symptoms set in.

Acute WD lasted around 3.5 years. I am feeling much better today, 5.5 years out, but still have some symptoms left.