☼ Claudius

Claudius

• Administrator

Claudius, how are you doing?

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Claudius

• Altostrata

• stan

• Maybe

Claudius, how are you doing?

Sorry Alto for this very late response, I am a bit more active on the IAWP forum now.

So here is my 60+ month update! Still not out of the woods yet, but now since 2.5 months working on my 50% paid job from home as a Web programmer. I work an avarage 4 hours a day but some days even more. When the neurological symptoms are a bit less, I feel fully able to work and the job goes pretty well. Learning many new things, building a complex Website from scratch and my boss (a former collegue who started his own company) is very satisfied about my progress and enthousiam!

So there is some good change going on :) On the oher side, there are STILL some nasty WD related neurological issues, still the nasty jolts in the left chest but on the same moment I feel that nerves and receptors are still rearranging and healing. So yes, I am pretty confident that recovery still happens and even an almost 100% recovery is around the corner, or a few corners :)

Some original issues are also pretty prevalent again, some kind of social anxiety (especially towards women) and general unhappiness because of not being able to find love in life. But that is not something I can attribute to WD. Right now I focus on further recovery and building a new career. I am really happy to have a paid job again for the first time in 4.5 years!

Thank you for your ongoing support and I will chime in a bit more often :)

10 mg Paxil/Seroxat since 2002
several attempts to quit since 2004
Quit c/t again Oktober 2007, in protracted w/d since then
after 3.5 years slight improvement but still on the road

after 6 years pretty much recovered but still some nasty residual sypmtons
after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

• Administrator

Very happy to hear from you, Claudius, and that your recovery is going well.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

• Moderator Emeritus

What Alto said!!! :D

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• 8 months later...

68 months update:OMG, am I really writing that? 68 months, that is getting close to 6 years!At least I have survived this uneartly ordeal. And it is not over yet, though healing is still going on and I still count on total recovery.Neurological symptoms have worsened a bit again, though it is still bearable and I think it will not get worse than it is now... Actually it had been better last year, and from the weak but still nasty electrical currents I fully realize that it is still WD related. Also anxiety is back, but this was my major original issue, it is not very bad and it will be better when WD will get better again.The good news, I have very much learned to listen and feel my body and I am the best witness that my body tells me that it is still healing. I feel it happen and sometimes even hear it. But patience, even more patience is what I must have right now.

after 8.5 years working again on a 90% base and basically functioning normally again!

Hi Claudius,

I have been reading your story here and elsewhere,

and have been saddened for all that you have endured, during this journey.

But I also have the highest admiration for your tenacity and perseverance ..

Wishing you continual success, in reclaiming your life fully ..

Warm regards,

Lexi

Hello,
I am tapering Lorazepam, and my daily dose is 1.125 mgs.

I followed a long hold for 5 months, ( Nov-March 2019) hoping to find some stability, 

but it did not work. So I resumed my taper and hold pattern.
For the last 3 years, I have been using a daily microtaper, cutting .001mgs per day, with holds as needed.
Symptoms are head pressure, labored breathing, palpitations, abrupt surges of dizziness, this being my worst symptom for now, internal tremors, my latest nemesis, unsteadiness, anxiety, plus many other symptoms that cycle in, and cycle out consistently. Not a day passes, without grief :(

I take no other meds.

January 2013 - 15 day quick taper off 10 mgs of Lexapro, and 25 mgs of Sertraline,

at a detox clinic.

• Administrator

Claudius, good to hear from you and that you are still seeing improvement.

• Moderator Emeritus

It's good to hear from you, Claudius.  Every now and then I come across one of your posts and wonder how you're doing.  Knowing that you're still progressing makes my day!

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

Thanks alto and Jemina. I try to be optimistic but in fact I am dooing pretty bad now. The tinglings and jolts are back with revenge and I can hardly type a mail, let alone work.

Now at almost 6 years off the drug and very little improvement last year, I really wonder whether this is permanent and I am in fact disabled for life.

I was always determined to ride out the full 4 years of WD which were mentioned by DAvid Healy but I have far surpassed this period by now.

I am beginning to think of taking something, maybe al old TCA. Of course not becsue I trust the meds or think that I am ddepressed but I just want to feel better and find a new job.

Is there any experience thi starting a non-SSRI med in cases of protracted WD which does not heal after 6 years?

Claudius, nice to hear from you! And I have not have heard of those experiences, some take longer than others. I hate those jolts, some happen on more days than others, but hang in there. Nothing lasts forever.

I am off of all meds as of May 20th, 2013, after 5 weeks on Zoloft and a 4 week taper. Still experiencing: moderate anhedonia & PSSD, I am otherwise mostly healed. 

2.1 years off of medication. 

"If I walk away, don't hate me. I've got to see where the pain will take me.

I found no angels...I found myself."

• Administrator

Claudius, taking any psychiatric drug after prolonged withdrawal has unpredictable results. Very sorry there are no easy answers for people in our situation.

Thanks alto and Jemina. I try to be optimistic but in fact I am dooing pretty bad now. The tinglings and jolts are back with revenge and I can hardly type a mail, let alone work.

Now at almost 6 years off the drug and very little improvement last year, I really wonder whether this is permanent and I am in fact disabled for life.

I was always determined to ride out the full 4 years of WD which were mentioned by DAvid Healy but I have far surpassed this period by now.

I am beginning to think of taking something, maybe al old TCA. Of course not becsue I trust the meds or think that I am ddepressed but I just want to feel better and find a new job.

Is there any experience thi starting a non-SSRI med in cases of protracted WD which does not heal after 6 years?

Claudius,

You're situation is like mine in being in a darned if you do and darned if you don't type of situation.  I may need to take something so I can stay asleep on my pap machine.  Otherwise, if I don't, I have quite a few apneas per hour which are destroying my health. And of course, I feel like cr-p.

I think you simply have to decide what to do based on your gut reaction and see what happens.  You don't have anything to guide you as Alto said.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

Thanks Alto and Comsports for your reactions. MAybe I sounded a bit too pessimitic, there is in fact much recovery last 3 years or so but those waves really drive me nuts. Yesterday I ha a nice day on the beach but felt completely exhausted when I got home, and the symptoms were back. And that triggered a wave of despair again.

Indeed trying some med is pobably more dangerous than doing nothing. I think we have just no opther option than hanging on, tak it day by day and count on furtther recovery.

6 years is a darn long time but I have hit those plateau phases before and probably it is part of the recovery. I try to retain hope again.

Hi Claudius,

It is like a bleeping roller coaster ride, isn't it?  It is totally understandable to feel hope and then despair.

It sounds like you have come to a decision that is right for you and that is good. Much continued heeling.

Drug cocktail 1995 - 2010
Started taper of Adderall, Wellbutrin XL, Remeron, and Doxepin in 2006
Finished taper on June 10, 2010

Temazepam on a PRN basis approximately twice a month - 2014 to 2016

Beginning in 2017 - Consumption increased to about two times per week

April 2017 - Increased to taking it full time for insomnia

• 4 months later...

A good 2014 to everyone!

A new and exiting yeas is ahead of us. And I am now at the point of 6 years 2 months in WD, let me round it to 6 years.

And it is not over yet, yesterday I had to cancel my O&N party due to WD related issues. Also last months have been mretty mdoerate and definately not better than previous year.

It seems I have hit a new plateau phase, I can work and study to some extent, not enough for a normal job but I did an interensting project last year in developing a smartphone app.

But the symptoms now stay the same for long and my fear is growing again that this will be for life.

I am grateful for the recovery so far, but at the same time realize that I am still to hindered by WD related neuropathic stuuff to enter the job market. My financials are running out now, my mother needs to support me and the urge to move to a smaller and cheaper place to live grows.

Until now I was able to postpone my moving house in the hope that recovery would progress and I would find a job but it was idle hope...

So a new wave of despair, but I have had them before and I know that is is possible that progrssion starts again after a months long plateau phase. So keep hoping...

• Administrator

Oh, Claudius, high hopes this is a plateau and you will be feeling better soon.

• 4 months later...
  • Administrator

Claudius, now that you've posted a *cautious* success story here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6390-claudius-time-for-partial-success-story/ -- do you want to add updates to that topic or this topic?

When someone declares "success," we usually close the Intro topic to move continuation to the Success Story topic.

• Moderator Emeritus

Claudius, it pains me that you've struggled for so long.  Given how long and hard your road is been, you seem remarkably strong to me.  I'm so sorry for these six years, I hope enough has filled them besides withdrawal that they don't feel lost to you.  A smart phone app, that sounds pretty slick!  

Thank you for keeping in touch with us.  I'm going to have a look at your success story.  

3 Years 150 mgs Effexor

2 month taper down to zero

3 terrible weeks at zero

Back up to 75 mgs

2 months at 75

6 or so months back to regular dose of 150 - was able to restabilize fine.

3 month taper back to zero

1 HORRENDOUS week at zero

2 days back up to 37.5

3 days back up to 75

One week at 150 - unable to stabilize.

Back down to 75 mgs

At 75 mgs (half original dose) and suffering withdrawal symptoms since October 2012.

"It is a radical cure for all pessimism to become ill, to remain ill for a good while, and then grow well for a still longer period." - Nietzsche

• Moderator Emeritus

Claudius, it pains me that you've struggled for so long.  Given how long and hard your road is been, you seem remarkably strong to me.  I'm so sorry for these six years, I hope enough has filled them besides withdrawal that they don't feel lost to you.  A smart phone app, that sounds pretty slick!  

Thank you for keeping in touch with us.  I'm going to have a look at your success story.  

What Narcissus said.   Also going to see your success story. :)

**I am not a medical professional, if in doubt please consult a doctor with withdrawal knowledge.

Different drugs occasionally (mostly benzos) 1976 - 1981 (no problem)

1993 - 2002 in and out of hospital. every type of drug + ECT. Staring with seroxat

2002  effexor. 

Tapered  March 2012 to March 2013, ending with 5 beads.

Withdrawal April 2013 . Reinstated 5 beads reduced to 4 beads May 2013

Restarted taper  Nov 2013  

OFF EFFEXOR Feb 2015    :D 

Tapered atenolol and omeprazole Dec 2013 - May 2014

Tapering tramadol, Feb 2015 100mg , March 2015 50mg  

July 2017 30mg.  May 15 2018 25mg

Taking fish oil, magnesium, B12, folic acid, bilberry eyebright for eye pressure. 

My story http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4199-hello-mammap-checking-in/page-33

Lesson learned, slow down taper at lower doses. Taper no more than 10% of CURRENT dose if possible

• 3 weeks later...

Claudius, now that you've posted a *cautious* success story here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6390-claudius-time-for-partial-success-story/ -- do you want to add updates to that topic or this topic?

When someone declares "success," we usually close the Intro topic to move continuation to the Success Story topic.

Sorry for my late reaction... also my succes story was a bit optimistic because  am still suffering from some nasty WD residual symptoms but I think it is fine to turn it into a partial success story now.

Though still not fully healed, past years were a tremendous learning experience though I would not have prefeerd to learn in this hard way... and sometimes I am jealous at people who have no clue at the medical and farmaceutical corruption...  but we know it now and we will profit from our knowledge for the rest of our lives.

I know that I will heal completely now that most symptoms are gone and only one ,albeit nasty and stubborn symptom remains. Maybe some months, or even years, but I am on the way up now and want to turn it into a success story.

So you are free to close this thread.

And for the other posters, yes I consider myself as a person with a very strong will, just as most of us here. But a strong will is not enough, in a years long lasting  and crippling WD, support is critical. I was still relatively lucky to get financial support and had some financial buffer to to a legacy, and still a couple of friends and a living and caring mom. I am grateful for that, because not everybody can say that and not every WD story end in a succes story...

• Administrator

Claudius, it's been a long, long journey. I know that many, many times, you were certain you would not get any better.

Although you cannot say you're 100% recovered yet, I am very happy that such a skeptic can report such progress!!

With due ceremony, I will close this thread, asking all to follow the rest of Claudius's recovery here http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6390-claudius-time-for-partial-success-story/

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

For a very long time, Claudius did not think he would heal. Please read his success story Claudius Time for partial success story