☼ Introducing Jemima

Jemima

• Moderator Emeritus

Jemima - how could anyone consider you a nuisance? This man is extremely insensitive and unappreciative. He should cherish each and every volunteer who comes his way, not treat them as though he's doing THEM a favour. If you're not being appreciated then I'd say it's time to move on. Maybe you can find another organization that is willing to show you some respect.

Melatonin made me very depressed too.

I hope you feel better soon. You've helped me and others in so many ways and you ARE appreciated here.

July 2001 prescribed 20mg citalopram for depression;
On and off meds from 2003-2006.
February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
By far the worst withdrawal symptoms ever. Reinstated to 20mg citalopram
October 2012 - found this forum!
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.
March 2016 - close to 100% back to normal!

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

• Moderator Emeritus

Jemima - how could anyone consider you a nuisance? This man is extremely insensitive and unappreciative. He should cherish each and every volunteer who comes his way, not treat them as though he's doing THEM a favour. If you're not being appreciated then I'd say it's time to move on. Maybe you can find another organization that is willing to show you some respect.

Oddly, this is the way they treat nearly everyone.  Volunteer hours are doled out as if they're fine chocolates.  The more I think about this, the more I think it's time to move on.

Melatonin made me very depressed too.

Sorry this happened to you as well, but good to know my hunch may very well be right.

I hope you feel better soon. You've helped me and others in so many ways and you ARE appreciated here.

Thank you very much.  Alto and my fellow staff members have always made me feel valued here.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Moderator Emeritus

Volunteer hours are doled out as if they're fine chocolates.

LOLOLLL!!!

Def. Time to say goodbye to them.

February 2006 back on 20mg citalopram and stayed on it until my last attempt at tapering in September 2011.
Nov 2012 to Feb 2013 did 10% taper, got doen to 11mg - was going great until stressful situation. Cortisol levels hit the roof, hideous insomnia forced me to updose to 20mg.

****** I am not a medical practitioner, any advice I give comes from my own experience or reading and is only my perspective ******

I'm sorry to hear this, Jemima. There is definitely a better place for you out there.

Pristiq tapered over 8 months ending Spring 2011 after 18 years of polydrugging that began w/Zoloft for fatigue/general malaise (not mood). CURRENT: 1mg Klonopin qhs (SSRI bruxism), 75mg trazodone qhs, various hormonesLitigation for 11 years for Work-related injury, settled 2004. Involuntary medical retirement in 2001 (age 39). 2012 - brain MRI showing diffuse, chronic cerebrovascular damage/demyelination possibly vasculitis/cerebritis. Dx w/autoimmune polyendocrine failure.<p>2013 - Dx w/CNS Sjogren's Lupus (FANA antibodies first appeared in 1997 but missed by doc).

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to sleep on it, but I'll probably tell them I need to take a break from volunteering there to take care of some personal matters.  Like my sanity.  But I won't say that.

And thanks, Basildev and Barb.

Psychotropic drug history: Pristiq 50 mg. (mid-September 2010 through February 2011), Remeron (mid-September 2010 through January 2011), Lexapro 10 mg. (mid-February 2011 through mid-December 2011), Lorazepam (Ativan) 1 mg. as needed mid-September 2010 through early March 2012

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Hanlon's Razor

Introduction: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/1588-introducing-jemima/

Success Story: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/6263-success-jemima-survives-lexapro-and-dr-dickhead-too/

Please note that I am not a medical professional and my advice is based on personal experience, reading, and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers.

• Administrator

Hi Jemima,

You are a rock star of a volunteer ... if they don't appreciate you, definitely move on ... or at the very least take a break.

I would feel conflicted tearing stickers off of children's drawings, too ... just because they refer to God doesn't mean they are trying to influence others, it is just the expression of the artist/child.  Are they trying to be agnostic?  It is one thing not to be affiliated with a specific religion, it is another to deny experssion.  That just seems over the top to me. 

Love you, Jemima. 

Posted Image

2007 @ 375 mg Effexor - 11/29/2011 - 43.75 mg Effexor (regular) & .625 mg Xanax

200 mg Gabapentin 2/27/21 - 194.5 mg, 5/28/21 - 183 mg, 8/2/21 - 170 mg, 11/28/21 - 150 mg, 4/19/22 - 122 mg; 8//7/22 - 100 mg; 12/17 - 75mg; 8/17 - 45 mg; 10/16 40 mg
Xanax taper: 3/11/12 - 0.9375 mg, 3/25/12 - 0.875 mg, 4/6/12 - 0.8125 mg, 4/18/12 - 0.75 ; 10/16 40mg;

1/16 0.6875 mg; at some point 0.625 mg
Effexor taper: 1/29/12 - 40.625 mg, 4/29/12 - 39.875 mg, 5/11/12 - Switched to liquid Effexor, 5/25/12 - 38 mg, 7/6/12 - 35 mg, 8/17/12 - 32 mg, 9/14/12 - 30 mg, 10/19/12 - 28 mg, 11/9/12 - 26 mg, 11/30/12 - 24 mg, 01/14/13 - 22 mg. 02/25/13 - 20.8 mg, 03/18/13 - 19.2 mg, 4/15/13 - 17.6 mg, 8/10/13 - 16.4 mg, 9/7/13 - 15.2 mg, 10/19/13 - 14 mg, 1/15/14 - 13.2 mg, 3/1/2014 - 12.6 mg, 5/4/14 - 12 mg, 8/1/14 - 11.4 mg, 8/29/14 - 10.8 mg; 10/14/14 - 10.2 mg; 12/15/14 - 10 mg, 1/11/15 - 9.5 mg, 2/8/15 - 9 mg, 3/21/15 - 8.5 mg, 5/1/15 - 8 mg, 6/9/15 - 7.5 mg, 7/8/15 - 7 mg, 8/22/15 - 6.5 mg, 10/4/15 - 6 mg; 1/1/16 - 5.6 mg; 2/6/16 - 5.2 mg; 4/9 - 4.8 mg; 7/7 4.5 mg; 10/7 4.25 mg; 11/4 4.0 mg; 11/25 3.8 mg; 4/24 3.6 mg; 5/27 3.4 mg; 7/8 3.2 mg ... 10/18 2.8 mg; 1/18 2.6 mg; 4/7 2.4 mg; 5/26 2.15mg; 8/18 1.85 mg; 10/7 1.7 mg; 12/1 1.45 mg; 3/2 1.2 mg; 5/4 0.90 mg; 6/1 0.80 mg; 6/22 0.65 mg; 08/03 0.50 mg, 08/10 0.45 mg, 10/05 0.325 mg, 11/23 0.2 mg, 12/14 0.15 mg, 12/21 0.125 mg, 02/28 0.03125 mg, 2/15 0.015625 mg, 2/29/20 0.00 mg - OFF Effexor

I am not a medical professional - this is not medical advice. My suggestions are based on personal experience, reading, observation and anecdotal information posted by other sufferers

• Moderator Emeritus

I'm going to sleep on it, but I'll probably tell them I need to take a break from volunteering there to take care of some personal matters.  Like my sanity.  But I won't say that.

Chuckling.O.L. (personal matters like my sanity.)

:-)

Seriously, Jemima, if this place doesn't appreciate you, move on! I guarantee there are places that would love to have someone like you as a volunteer. You have SO much to offer. 

And we definitely, definitely appreciate you here! You're priceless! (which is good, since we have no money to pay you with...)

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

Feb 10 2014:   62 Lamictal    1.1 Celexa         0.135 Xanax    1.8 Valium

Feb 10 2015:   50 Lamictal      0.875 Celexa    0.11 Xanax      1.5 Valium

Feb 15 2016:   47.5 Lamictal   0.75 Celexa      0.0875 Xanax    1.42 Valium    

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

I'm not a doctor. Any advice I give is just my civilian opinion.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jemima,

You are a rock star of a volunteer ... if they don't appreciate you, definitely move on ... or at the very least take a break.

I would feel conflicted tearing stickers off of children's drawings, too ... just because they refer to God doesn't mean they are trying to influence others, it is just the expression of the artist/child.  Are they trying to be agnostic?  It is one thing not to be affiliated with a specific religion, it is another to deny experssion.  That just seems over the top to me. 

Love you, Jemima. 

Posted Image

Thanks, Karma.  I'm beginning to think this place doesn't want anyone to really shine, because then the rest of them would have to work harder.  I've been in situations like this before where I've been hated for working hard  and being good at what I do.  It's an ugly, uncomfortable scene.

I agree about the drawings.  It's one thing to maintain neutrality about religion, but this strikes me as actively anti-Christian. (On the other hand, they had a "Happy Hanukah" banner up in the dining room over the holidays, no doubt to suck up to the new executive director, who is Jewish.  Maybe the policy on religion depends on who you are more than what you believe.)

I've already cancelled my hours for this coming Thursday and plan to do so for the following week if I need to think this over longer.  I hope to have other plans in place soon.  A new acquaintance has been encouraging me to volunteer at the retirement community where she leads activities, and as soon as I get my sleep problems straightened out, I'm going to follow up on that.

Love you, too.

• Moderator Emeritus

Chuckling.O.L. (personal matters like my sanity.)

:-)

Seriously, Jemima, if this place doesn't appreciate you, move on! I guarantee there are places that would love to have someone like you as a volunteer. You have SO much to offer. 

And we definitely, definitely appreciate you here! You're priceless! (which is good, since we have no money to pay you with...)

Thanks, Rhi.  My ego needs all the support it can get right now.

• Moderator Emeritus

Aside from feeling some relief from cancelling my volunteer hours this coming Thursday, stopping the Melatonin seems to have helped.  I'm not sure how long it takes for this stuff to get completely out of one's system, but I no longer feel as groggy and depressed.  I actually have had several hours of a good, normal window today, although I was still tired and stayed in bed a long time.  Had trouble getting to sleep and finally took an antihistamine at 3:15 AM and another upon waking again at 6:00 AM, and I don't know what influence that has had on my state of mind.  I really need to get back on a regular, "normal" schedule so I can get involved in more daytime activities.

• Moderator Emeritus

Aside from feeling some relief from cancelling my volunteer hours this coming Thursday, stopping the Melatonin seems to have helped.  I'm not sure how long it takes for this stuff to get completely out of one's system, but I no longer feel as groggy and depressed.  I actually have had several hours of a good, normal window today, although I was still tired and stayed in bed a long time.  Had trouble getting to sleep and finally took an antihistamine at 3:15 AM and another upon waking again at 6:00 AM, and I don't know what influence that has had on my state of mind.  I really need to get back on a regular, "normal" schedule so I can get involved in more daytime activities.

Hi Jemima... I had an experience with melatonin similar to that which you describe... I stopped taking it and the groggy feelings were gone in a day or two.

Re: the food bank...  just another affirmation you did the right thing.  Hopefully the new executive director will become the wiser and take action.

Skyler

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jemima... I had an experience with melatonin similar to that which you describe... I stopped taking it and the groggy feelings were gone in a day or two.

Re: the food bank...  just another affirmation you did the right thing.  Hopefully the new executive director will become the wiser and take action.

Skyler

Thanks for the support, Skyler.  The more I think about it, the more I think that this particular organization favors the mediocre, the people who go along to get along, just like in many big corporations.  Maybe it's a personal flaw of mine, but I like to be recognized for a job well done and this place has so many volunteers we're all just faces in the crowd.

Good to know the Melatonin effects wear off in a few days.  I'm SO tired of feeling down.

Just wanted to send you tons of ((hugs))

Dec 2004 - Put on Zoloft after having a panic attack from the Birth Control Ortho Evra Patch (the doctors thought I was completely insane when I told them I think the Birth Control Patch is giving me anxiety/panic. Funny how they tell you NOW that Birth Control can indeed cause anxiety) Started at 25mg, increased to 50 mg and 100 mg in 2007. They made me too sleepy so decreased back to 50mg until 2009. Reduced to 25 mg in 2010.

Oct 2010 - Decided to come off Zoloft to try and have children. Didn't know anything about tapering because apparently, my doctor didn't know about it either. WDs included heart palpitations, dizziness, tinnitus etc. Decided to go back on Zoloft within 2 weeks of stopping.

January 2011 - Knowing a little more about tapering, I decided to stop taking taking Zoloft with my doctors help again. She told me to hurry and taper in 4 weeks because the tinnitus could become permanent. I thought this was too fast so I took another month to taper.

March 30, 2011 - Last Zoloft pill.

Had a little dizziness & sadness, but felt fine until Aug 2011 after a relative died.

Since then symptoms include brain shivers, migraine headaches on right side of head, warm/hot sensations on right side of head and ears, internal vibrations, tremor, muscle twitches, strange sensations in right side of head, anxiety, nervousness, sadness, disconnected, depersonalization, numbness on left side of body at times, neck pain, muscle/rib cage pains,  just don't feel like myself :(

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Dani.  Hugs are good!

• Moderator Emeritus

So, it looks like a lot of my problems with feeling apathetic and sad these past few months had to do with taking Melatonin and/or antihistamines (diphenhydramine) for sleep.  I stopped the Melatonin two days ago and stopped the antihistamine a day later and I feel remarkably better.  I hate to think that all this drooping around the past few months was due to sleeping meds, but it's possible that's been the problem rather than drawn-out withdrawal.  I feel a small spark of interest in things I used to like to do, such as browsing the thrift stores and fixing up my house.  I'm almost afraid to hope that this is the end of withdrawal after all this time.

• Moderator Emeritus

Watching from out here, watching the course of your recovery, it seems to me reasonable to hope that it's mostly done and from here on in is mostly fine-tuning.  Although I wouldn't be surprised if there are still waves from time to time, especially as you explore your new limits and push the envelope a bit, you seem to me to be firmly on the path of recovery.

Started on Prozac and Xanax in 1992 for PTSD after an assault. One drug led to more, the usual story. Got sicker and sicker, but believed I needed the drugs for my "underlying disease". Long story...lost everything. Life savings, home, physical and mental health, relationships, friendships, ability to work, everything. Amitryptiline, Prozac, bupropion, buspirone, flurazepam, diazepam, alprazolam, Paxil, citalopram, lamotrigine, gabapentin...probably more I've forgotten. 

Started multidrug taper in Feb 2010.  Doing a very slow microtaper, down to low doses now and feeling SO much better, getting my old personality and my brain back! Able to work full time, have a full social life, and cope with stress better than ever. Not perfect, but much better. After 23 lost years. Big Pharma has a lot to answer for. And "medicine for profit" is just not a great idea.

Feb 15 2010:  300 mg Neurontin  200 Lamictal   10 Celexa      0.65 Xanax   and 5 mg Ambien 

2/12/20             12                       0.045               0.007                   1 

May 2021            7                       0.01                  0.0037                1

Feb 2022            6                      0!!!                     0.00167               0.98                2.5 mg Ambien

Oct 2022       4.5 mg Lamictal    (off Celexa, off Xanax)   0.95 Valium    Ambien, 1/4 to 1/2 of a 5 mg tablet 

• Moderator Emeritus

That sounds very promising Jemima.

I hope you continue to improve

Hi Jemima

I have just finished reading all of your thread and I am amazed at your transformation and what you have accomplished. I am particularly interested at how you have transitioned into retirement and the activities you have started. I remember early on how you stopped into my thread and gave me kind and comforting words. I just want you to know how much I admire and appreciate you!

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks very much for the encouragement.  Right now I'm struggling with not having my life all back together already, silly as that is!

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks very much for the encouragement.  Right now I'm struggling with not having my life all back together already, silly as that is!

Treat it like the adventure it is... a time to find new and better opportunities.  Reach for your stars, they are up there. :P

As always, LISTEN TO YOUR BODY! A proud supporter of the 10% (or slower) rule.

Requip - 3/16 ZERO  Total time on 25 years.

Lyrica: 8/15 ZERO Total time on 7 or 8 yrs.

BENZO FREE 10/13 (started tapering 7/10)  Total time on 25 years.

Read my intro thread here, and check the about me section.  "No matter how cynical you get, it's almost impossible to keep up." Lily Tomlin

• Moderator Emeritus

Watching from out here, watching the course of your recovery, it seems to me reasonable to hope that it's mostly done and from here on in is mostly fine-tuning.  Although I wouldn't be surprised if there are still waves from time to time, especially as you explore your new limits and push the envelope a bit, you seem to me to be firmly on the path of recovery.

What's really worrying me is that the creative spark I used to have just doesn't seem to have bounced back.  I catch a glimmer of it from time to time, but that's all.

I am beginning to think that our 'creative spark' has to heal too, and it also has windows (spark) and waves (no spark).

What happened and how I arrived here: http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/4243-cymbaltawithdrawal5600-introduction/#entry50878

July 2016 I have decided to leave my story here at SA unfinished. I have left my contact information in my profile for anyone who wishes to talk to me. I have a posting history spanning nearly 4 years and 3000+ posts all over the site.

Thank you to all who participated in my recovery. I'll miss talking to you but know that I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines, suffering and rejoicing with you in spirit, as you go on in your journey.

• Moderator Emeritus

I am beginning to think that our 'creative spark' has to heal too, and it also has windows (spark) and waves (no spark).

I think you're right, and I also think that positive emotions and the creative spark are the last normal functions to come back.  It makes sense in that these aspects of being human are probably the highest and most complex functions of the mind and spirit, but it's really getting me down that I still don't feel anything after nineteen months.  I used to have a long list of projects I wanted to do, and now I can only think of one or two things, and with little enthusiasm I might add.

In my case, my creative spark is still there but not in ways I have been used to and as such, my 'recovery' may be highly atypical. It is not even a year yet since my CT. As little as 2 or 3 weeks ago I got all enthused about trying some really neat DIY lighting projects while I started painting the house. I hit a wave full speed at 90 miles an hour and ended up with that gut wrenching pain again and darn near lost it. Picking my way through the pieces found me rethinking my whole crafty life (you've seen my thread?) and in letting go of that old stuff is letting me see a glimmer of a different life. It will be back I know. My desire to keep some of the beads (the good ones) tells me so. But I am not ready for them yet. AND the house is still in disarray because I'm only just getting my strength back and my emotions straightened out (again!)

I dragged out the knitting needles (not my craft), suffered thru my mom telling me AGAIN how to cast on, threw 40 st on some size 13's with some beautiful slightly eyelashy bulky yarn I bought at the thrift store way back just because I liked the color and am calling it a scarf. K 2 rows, P 2 rows except I goofed and kept on K'ing too many because I can't tell which one I'm supposed to do. But no pulling it out, even for a dropped st. No abandoning it because it's not good enough or I want a different color or it's too wide or too narrow or or or or or. My mind is going nuts on stuff I am thinking of doing when I'm done. But the scarf gets done first, fringe and all and then ceremoniously donated to the thrift shop lady. Then I'll see.

I know the old me would never have started knitting that yarn. I'd go on to sexier crafts and end up donating it back to the same thrift store. Baby steps for me. Till I hit the wall again and it's rinse and repeat. Such is life.

cymbaltawithdrawal5600, on 21 Jul 2013 - 8:04 PM, said:Posted Image

I think you're right, and I also think that positive emotions and the creative spark are the last normal functions to come back.

I came back to your thread this morning to re-read this. There was a time in my life where I would be overjoyed to hear the words 'I think you're right' but the wheels came off with the words 'last normal function'. That puts me 'up in my head' and my sciency brain wheels start spinning and I start chewing on the problem of 'when will I be recovered?' I don't like those feelings and my way of coping when that happens is to look at the calendar and say that not enough time has passed, I'm not 'recovered' yet. Pressure off. Nothing to do except wait for time to pass and just keep doing the next indicated thing. Walk the dogs and K 2 more rows and learn to just BE with myself as I am.

So much of 'recovery thinking' seems to focus on getting our 'mojo' back and I wail just as loudly as all the rest about my lost spark. The spark is really there, it's just hidden under mounds of thoughts and emotions and 'past history'. No waiting for any higher function to come back because I don't think it went anywhere except underground for a bit. (Psychic pain trumps creative thinking.) I started raking a few leaves (gave away craft projects I started years ago), picked up the crappy knitting and am still reeling from the transformation in my inner landscape. I am in the process of creating a life where I don't have to get psychoactive drugs to 'manage' my feelings. Knitting may be my pill and in the nebulous future it may still be my pill or maybe exercise or church or volunteering or all of it in the context of a life without meds.

I wonder what would happen if you told yourself that you are not allowed to do ANY creative projects for the NEXT nineteen months? Or not do any of the things you 'think' you want to do based on some idea from the past? I sorta did that when I dumped those other projects. The world opened up a bit.

A weird thought just came to me: in all those years of going to the med Dr. I never saw anyone knitting in the waiting room.  I think the thing about it is that it is so portable and has a high acceptability factor, even for men. Take knitting to a waiting room and it's a magnet for the ladies to come over and see what you are doing and to talk to you about themselves. That's what I crave, human contact and acceptance. The knitting can go to he11 and I won't care.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, now you've blown it and I have to disagree with you.  Due to the CNS restructuring that happens with antidepressants, which destroys some neurons and grows some new ones, it's my opinion that the creative spark actually does go away on a temporary basis.  As the brain restores itself, normal feelings come back, but very gradually and they are interspersed with what we call "neuro-emotions", or false emotions that occur as the brain heals (usually negative feelings like anxiety and depression which are not in reaction to anything in the environment).  Perhaps Cymbalta is different since it's a combination of SSRI and SNRI antidepressants, but I know all too personally that Lexapro, an SSRI, deadens the emotions and that this takes a long time to heal.

I did have a passing creative idea last night having to do with a convenience meal I often make, and that gives me hope.  For now, however, I'm trying to get my sleep back on track, do at least the bare minimum of shopping and cleaning, and use whatever distractions work, without guilt (for me this usually means spending a bundle on books).  Doing needlepoint and being with people also help.  It's just so frustrating to have this stage of recovery last so long!

Well, now you've blown it and I have to disagree with you.

I love this!!! What I was trying to do (and it appears not too well) is speak to a more 'practical' side of dealing with recovery and the creative spark in my situation and what I find happening right now. For all I know, my brain may be permanently trashed from CT Cymbalta and I never have looked at what the Lamictal might be affecting. And for that matter, 8 years of drinking gallons of diet soda and smoking 2 packs of cigs a day and not eating well and getting too little sleep. What the scientific studies say is not very much of a comfort (nor do they readily come to mind) when, after hours of the same boring comp solitaire games while my mind is trying to make sense of my situation, I start thinking of something different to DO and I think "What happened to my creativity? Why don't I want to make something with beads anymore? Why don't I FEEL like it?"

I was all fired up when I started the painting (actually felt I was recovered already!) and found my spark turned into a freaking inferno when, while waiting for the paint to dry, I started the DIY lighting diversion instead of comp sol. Woke up one morning in a quivvering puddle on the floor, in the terrible grip of neuro-something. So back to basics, stop pushing so hard. Couldn't find a scientific study to comfort myself because I didn't have a name for what happened, really. My brain craves scientific validation for what I am feeling. I am giving it different stuff (the crafting saga in my thread) and it is giving me some surprising stuff back. My comment to you was my roundabout way of trying offer the benefit of my insight to you. Such as it was.

My creative spark is a capricious, sneaky thing. It crept up on me when I least expected it and fried my a$$ good. And then it morphed into a new dimension. I'm just too wiped out for it right now so it is not bugging me (much).

• Moderator Emeritus

I think you're right, and I also think that positive emotions and the creative spark are the last normal functions to come back.  It makes sense in that these aspects of being human are probably the highest and most complex functions of the mind and spirit, but it's really getting me down that I still don't feel anything after nineteen months.  I used to have a long list of projects I wanted to do, and now I can only think of one or two things, and with little enthusiasm I might add.

I know how discouraging it must be to you, but Jemima, I've watched you come through this intense withdrawal process and make consistent progress (in of course the roller coaster kind of way it goes).  I know it feels like forever, but really it seems to me, after all the people I've watched go through this stuff, like you're right on time. In fact you're doing really well.

It sure looks to me like you're continuing to heal and change and recover.  I think you're going to get it all back. It just takes time. Way too much time. 

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks so much, Rhi. That's especially reassuring coming from you. Yes, it takes way, way too much time.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Two months later: some improvement, but not back to normal yet.  This stage of recovery reminds me of trying to peel one of those maddening hardboiled eggs that seem to have had the shell and membrane applied with Superglue.  Some more small chips have fallen away so there have been more glimpses of contentment and even optimism since I posted last, but no dazzling return of the creative spark.  I have had a number of dreams about getting some really nice new clothes though, which has been of no interest at all since I went into withdrawal, and I wonder if that's a hint that the old artistic me is working its way to the surface.

At this point, I am convinced that I'll "get it all back", as Rhi said, but I've got no idea when.  I had been hoping for the end of this year, which would make it about two years, but trying to guess seems pointless.  I'm just grateful to be having more good windows, however brief.

.  I have had a number of dreams about getting some really nice new clothes though, which has been of no interest at all since I went into withdrawal, and I wonder if that's a hint that the old artistic me is working its way to the surface.

ABSOLUTELY!!

You are one of my guiding stars in this process.

I am also convinced that we'll get it all back.

Great post J, thank you.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.

• Moderator Emeritus

Well, I'm having a really rotten day today, but I guess that's all a part of this roller coaster ride. I cancelled out on my sewing group today and crawled back under the covers until nearly noon, including sleeping for about another hour. I still seem to need nine to ten hours of sleep a night. I have an eye doctor appointment this afternoon and I suspect that may be making me very tense.  Ever since I was in withdrawal I've been very pessimistic and nervous about doctor appointments.

I'm in one of those "this will never end" moods, I'm afraid.

• Moderator Emeritus

P.S.  Thanks for the encouragement, Alex.  I'm sorry if my follow-up is discouraging, but that seems to be the nature of this beast.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jemima

It might be good to focus on how far you've come rather that dwell on not being fully there yet. This wave will pass and you are getting glimmers of real prospects ahead. I know for me, I'd hate to be standing in the shoes I was in when I first signed up here - clueless, symptoms out of control, wondering if I was crazy and feeling like I was the only person experiencing this

Dalsaan

Please note - I am not a medical practitioner and I do not give medical advice. I offer an opinion based on my own experiences, reading and discussion with others.On Effexor for 2 months at the start of 2005. Had extreme insomnia as an adverse reaction. Changed to mirtazapine. Have been trying to get off since mid 2008 with numerous failures including CTs and slow (but not slow enough tapers)Have slow tapered at 10 per cent or less for years. I have liquid mirtazapine made at a compounding chemist.

Was on 1.6 ml as at 19 March 2014.

Dropped to 1.5 ml 7 June 2014. Dropped to 1.4 in about September.

Dropped to 1.3 on 20 December 2014. Dropped to 1.2 in mid Jan 2015.

Dropped to 1 ml in late Feb 2015. I think my old medication had run out of puff so I tried 1ml when I got the new stuff and it seems to be going ok. Sleep has been good over the last week (as of 13/3/15).

Dropped to 1/2 ml 14/11/15 Fatigue still there as are memory and cognition problems. Sleep is patchy but liveable compared to what it has been in the past.

DRUG FREE - as at 1st May 2017

>My intro post is here - http://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/2250-dalsaan

• Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, Dalsaan.  You're right, of course, and I have come a long, long way from the wreck I was in early withdrawal, less than two years ago. I really should be thankful that this is a temporary condition, too.  Imagine being stuck in withdrawal for the rest of our lives!

Good to see you back on the forum again.

I'm in one of those "this will never end" moods, I'm afraid.

It is VERY important that you "know" what is going on.

This only phrase of yours has helped me a lot...

And I absolutely agree with Dalsaan.

Hugs,A.

4 years aprox. on 150mgs.Effexor for situational major depression.No AD before.
Tapered 150-0mgs in 3 months.

Tapered Quetiapine,Xanax in the last 18 months.NO med of any kind anymore.
First 3 months off acute w/d
Protracted w/d ever since.
Symptoms:Anxiety,anhedonia,insomnia,tinnitus,PSSD

04/13/2014 Awful Relapse.Recovered fairly fast.

3 years and 4 months off.

waves and windows.Very much recovered.

November 2015,health issue.Setback.