rajp

post moved from andy: Finally off zyprexa

Hi,

I went to see the doctor and he took 5mg of my dose in one go.

I was on 10mg day. 5mg at night, 2.5in the morning and 2.5 in the afternoon.

He said I dont need the morning and afternoon dose.

I was ok the first week but this second week I think im feeling withdrawal symptoms

As I've dropped 5mg in one go , any ideas how long the withdrawal symptoms will last ?

Should I go back to my doctor and ask to be tapered off slowly ?

Edited by ChessieCat
post moved from andy: Finally off zyprexa
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi rajp and welcome aboard,

This is your introduction page rajp, you've now introduced yourself to the community.  Consider this like your "home page", a place for you to ask questions specific to your situation, and keep a record of your W/D journey, as well as to communicate with others about your situation.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

this is the portion you see below other members posts, unless viewing from a phone device.  You can still create a signature using a phone device.  Just follow the instructions in the link.  This information is very helpful to moderators.   Thank you.

If your drug history is very long, the last few years will do. FOR READABILITY, SHORT LINES ARE BEST.

• A list is easier to understand than one or multiple paragraphs
  • Include ALL drugs, doses, and dates (starting and stopping)
  • Any drugs prior to 24 months ago can just be listed with start and stop years
  • Please use actual dates or approximate dates (e.g. mid-June) rather than relative time frames (e.g. 3 months ago)
  • Spell out months (e.g. "January" or "Jan" as 9/1/2016 can be interpreted as 9 Jan 2016 or 1 Sept 2016)
  • Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses

I'm sorry you are experiencing W/D(withdrawal symptoms)  What kind of symptoms are you experiencing now?

Dr. Joseph Glenmullen's withdrawal symptom checklist

Yes, that may be a bit fast.......the taper that your Dr. has suggested.

Why taper by 10% of my dose

And here is a more about tapering, specific to Zyprexa:  Tips for tapering off Zyprexa

We advocate for a harm reduction approach to getting off these medications.  The 10% reduction is based on each previous dose, rather than the starting dose.   Often, the CT(cold turkey) approach is way too fast.  As are large decreases in dosages.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug. When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

Also with the changes in medications, up and down.......often havoc results on an already sensitized nervous system.

The only 2 supplements that we recommend are:

Omega 3, fatty acids( fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

It's best to just start one new thing at a time however,  start low, then keep records as to what you are adding or changing.

You could go back to your Dr. and ask to be tapered more slowly.  Unfortunately, many of us have had difficult experiences with that.  There aren't many doctors who are up on W/D information.  So.......it's sometimes best to just work with your Doctor to get the prescriptions that you need. 

The following links may help.

How do you talk to a doctor about tapering and withdrawal

What should I expect from my doctor

Again welcome, good to have you join us. 

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• 3 months later...

I'm on 2.5mg olanzapine and doc has asked me to stay on it for a few months. I'll try coming off it by halving the tablet and staying on it for a few weeks or should i stay on it for months ?

• Administrator

Hi, raj.

Here's your Introductions topic. Please post your questions here.

When did you start olanzapine?

Please read Tips for tapering off olanzapine (Zyprexa)

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

I started olanzapine in 2017 in June. I started on a 10 mg dose. I was on it for a year then doc reduced me to 5mg and upped my setraline to 100mg.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hi rajp, 

How are you doing?💚

Seroquel. 2019:➡️ From 7.25mg to 5.80mg. 2020➡️5.60 to 4.80. 2021➡️4.60 to 4.0.  2022➡️3.95 to 3.55. 2023➡️ From 3.50 to 3.25.  2024➡️Jan15=3.20✔️ Feb19=3.15✔️ March26=3.10✔️May1=3.05✔️This is NOT medical advice.Consult your doctor.