Annap: Tapering sertraline

Annap

Hi! 

My history of Psychiatric drugs looks like this:

dec 2006 fluoxetine 20 mg went on and of 20-40 mg until

july 2008 when I got put on effexor 150 mg tapered that 2009 april to August. Went back on effexor 75 mg 2010 january.  stayed on that until march 2013 when I started taper. Tapered and went off march 2014.

Crashed and was put on fluoxetine 20 mg march 2014. Stayed on that until november 2015 then went CT.

Got back on effexor (venlafaxin) march 2016 was put on 225 mg and stayed until August 2016. Tapered off and stopped october 2016.

Crashed december 2016 and put on citalopram 20 mg which updosed to 40 mg. Tapered off from 40-30 mg August 2017 and from 30-25 november 2017.

Crashed january 2018. Put on sertralin and up to 150 mg by march 2018. tapered down to 125 june. Down to 112,5 july and down to 100 mg last september.

much likely I have Aspergers syndrome, the psychiatry have started to do an ”investigation”, it started only a couple of months ago.

My plan was to continue tapering by 10%.  but I don’t feel fully recovered from the last taper. And Reading my own introduction I can see that I have put my nervous system through a lot during the last 12 years.

right now I feel very tired, my mood is quite low from time to time, and I wake up with anxiety, or rather nervousness. I do feel a bit more like myself though. Which has always been the reason for tapering. It feels like I loose touch with my self when medicating. Its very likely that I do have Aspergers syndrome and the medication helps a bit with filtering.

I feel a bit scared to continue tapering.and I belive It would be smart to hold at 100 mg.

any thoughts on my history and how to continue tapering would be great:)

thanks! 

Edited by ChessieCat
sp

2006-2008 Fluoxetine 20-40 CT

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

2010 -2013 venlafaxin 75 mg 

2014 -2015 fluoxetine 20 mg CT

2016 march- Aug 225 mg effexor

2016\12 -2018\2 citalopram 40mg

2016-2018 oxascand 5 mg on occasion.

2018 feb-june  sertraline 150 mg

March -april: voxra 100 mg CT

june 4th sertraline 125mg

july 8 th sertraline 112,5 mg

sept 30th sertraline 100 mg 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Annap: Tapering sertraline

By last september I mean this year, and the last day of september:)

I want to say also that I feel very uncertain with myself, mostly at work, I feel so tired and like people don’t like me and I am feeling it as though people talk behind my back. It’s not impossible that they are, since its unfortunately a group that is a bit dysfunctional, but on a higher dosage of the medication I don’t bother as much. Now I feel as thouhg my shields are down and I am very vulnerable. 

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

Hi,

Does anyone know how to compare doses between different ssris?

I wonder which dose of sertraline would be equal to 30 mg citalopram?

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Annap,

And welcome to survivingantidepressants.org.

It looks like you've had a history of antidepressants dating back to 2006.  With many changes throughout the years.  Gentle hugs!  Did you feel better on any of the medications?  And what were you put on the medications for?

If you could go to the following link:  Please put your withdrawal history in a signature

The first post there will explain the format that we like to see.  And it gives us a better idea of your history at a glance.  The signature portion is what you see, when signed in, below others posts.......unless you are using a phone device.  You can still create a signature using a phone device however......but won't be able to view it or others signatures from a phone device.

In your last post I see you want to compare dosages between different ssri's.  I'll give you another link which will take you to a post which includes some articles that note these.

Dose equivalents for Antidepressants

If you go to the results sections of the studies/articles you will see what the conclusions were.

Are you interested in tapering off of your present medication sertraline at some point?  Many members here do feel a sense of numbness when medicated, such as what you describe.

I'll include some links to some of the information that we have collected here as well, for your reference.

Here at Surviving Antidepressants, it is recommended that a person taper by no more than 10% of their current dose with at least a four week hold in-between decreases.  The 10% taper recommendation is a harm reduction approach to going off psychiatric drugs.
And yes, it may be a good idea to hold at your present dosage for now.  Until we get you sorted out a bit, as far as your history goes, and present symptoms.  

Do take a look ^  As it sounds like you may be experiencing some W/D(withdrawal symptoms) now from your recent tapering, as well as from all the jumping around with medications and dosages in the past.

When we take medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made.  The CNS likes stability. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system.

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.

Hoping this is not too overwhelming.  Work on the signature and just take a look at some of the links for now.  Often you'll find the wealth of information in the first post(s) in most of the links.  Then some interesting discussion and finer tuned points of discussion and information, often follows.

Welcome again Annap

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

Thank you so much!

I have already read most of the links, but Will take a look on it again, and Will sure post the signature.

For now I feel very overwhelmed and tired and wired since my last taper from 112,5 mg to 100 mg sertraline.

I need to know wheather this is me or WD.

started medication because of xtreme stress and I just couldn’t function. Doctors diagnosed it as depression or exhaustion.

in retrospection I can see that my life was really messy with too much impressions and no knowledge about my vulnerability (asperger) 

I think I simply crashed because it had all been too much.

medication has helped me as it numbs me a bit so I don’t overreact.

unfortunatelt this numbness is also making life a bit grey, and therefore I have tired to taper many Times but always crashed again.

my symptoms now is mostly that I am having a hard time to relax, my mind seems to be on the alert all the time

racing thoughts 

tired and wired

can’t seem to relax

as for today it is really bad so I took an oxascand

It feels like I just want to shut down my system, but I cant

can this be the last tapering doing this?

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

If I understod it correctly, 40 mg citalopram is equal to 100 sertraline, or did I get it wrong? 

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi AnnaP,

That's great that you have already seen or read most of the links.  The signature should be pretty easy going........you have most of the information present already in your first post.  Just follow the instructions in the signature link.

15 hours ago, Annap said:

I need to know wheather this is me or WD

I think it's likely that it is W/D.  As the symptoms started after your decrease.  And then you most likely have W/D symptoms from some of your previous medications, at play now here too.

14 hours ago, Annap said:

40 mg citalopram is equal to 100 sertraline

I think you got it right.  That's what I came up with from the articles too.

my symptoms now is mostly that I am having a hard time to relax, my mind seems to be on the alert all the time

racing thoughts 

tired and wired

can’t seem to relax

It feels like I just want to shut down my system, but I cant

can this be the last tapering doing this?

The last tapering, as well as something like a cumulative effect, from the on and offs of the previous medications as well.

And what you describe are pretty classic W/D symptoms. 

Oh AnnaP, be cautious, careful with this one.  It seems to be the same as Oxazepam.  And dependency on the benzo's can often result in just a few weeks of usage, or even a few weeks of intermittent usage.  Have you been using much of this, and at what dosage? 

I don't know if you've been to our symptoms and self care section yet.  There are lot's of non- drug coping skills collected there that might help.

And then do complete your signature as soon as you can.  If the symptoms seem worse since your last taper........you might benefit from a small updose in your sertraline.  Just put an approximate date of your most recent decreases/tapers.  The other thing to consider would be holding a bit longer and then for your next taper, once you feel a bit more like yourself, or stable enough with W/D.........you could do a taper that is less than 10% or even a brassmonkey slide type of taper. 

On 10/26/2018 at 2:05 PM, Annap said:

By last september I mean this year, and the last day of september:)

I want to say also that I feel very uncertain with myself, mostly at work, I feel so tired and like people don’t like me and I am feeling it as though people talk behind my back. It’s not impossible that they are, since its unfortunately a group that is a bit dysfunctional, but on a higher dosage of the medication I don’t bother as much. Now I feel as thouhg my shields are down and I am very vulnerable.  

September had 30 days.  So that drop to 100 mg. might have been on September 30th.

And oof.  We'll do our best, to help you in any way we can, to minimize symptoms now. 

Do you do any therapy at all with a therapist or someone to talk to, and help you learn coping skills and redirect thoughts type of thing?  I don't know if that last sentence is too clear.  I can give you more links to on-line stuff that might help too.

Okay?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

18 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi AnnaP,

That's great that you have already seen or read most of the links.  The signature should be pretty easy going........you have most of the information present already in your first post.  Just follow the instructions in the signature link.

I think it's likely that it is W/D.  As the symptoms started after your decrease.  And then you most likely have W/D symptoms from some of your previous medications, at play now here too.

I think you got it right.  That's what I came up with from the articles too.

The last tapering, as well as something like a cumulative effect, from the on and offs of the previous medications as well.

And what you describe are pretty classic W/D symptoms. 

Oh AnnaP, be cautious, careful with this one.  It seems to be the same as Oxazepam.  And dependency on the benzo's can often result in just a few weeks of usage, or even a few weeks of intermittent usage.  Have you been using much of this, and at what dosage? 

Started with oxascand dec 2016 5 mg and took it twice a day for a couple of days. Then just on occasion. For some months 1-2/ week. For some months none at all. Havent taken any since feb this year, except for this one I took yesterday. Will be sure to not take anymore of them. What about lergigan 5 mg. I have taken it from time to time. None since may, except for last week when I had one for a couple of days.

I don't know if you've been to our symptoms and self care section yet.  There are lot's of non- drug coping skills collected there that might help.

September had 30 days.  So that drop to 100 mg. might have been on September 30th.

And oof.  We'll do our best, to help you in any way we can, to minimize symptoms now. 

Do you do any therapy at all with a therapist or someone to talk to, and help you learn coping skills and redirect thoughts type of thing?  I don't know if that last sentence is too clear.  I can give you more links to on-line stuff that might help too.

Yes. I do see a theraphist and we work on strategies :)

I cannot thank you enough. Your message here made so much difference too me.

so thankful! 

Love !!

Okay?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Thank you, I Will check it out. I pretty much don’t have any coping skills since I have medicated so much instead.

And then do complete your signature as soon as you can.  If the symptoms seem worse since your last taper........you might benefit from a small updose in your sertraline.  Just put an approximate date of your most recent decreases/tapers.  The other thing to consider would be holding a bit longer and then for your next taper, once you feel a bit more like yourself, or stable enough with W/D.........you could do a taper that is less than 10% or even a brassmonkey slide type of taper. 

Yes. I Will hold for now until i am stabile. Don’t want to updose. Have had a window today, for almost the entire day. 

Edited by ChessieCat
extracted response from quote

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

Oh, don’t know if I responded correctly, tried to quote, but doesnt seem I got it right for the last part, my answer got mixed up with yours. (mod note:  this has been fixed up)

want to say how grateful I am for your support and the answeres you gave me.

they made a whole lot of difference in a good way for me.

thank you ❤️

Edited by ChessieCat
mod note

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi AnnaP,

.....and a thank you to ChessieCat.  She's another moderator, who fixed it all up.  And that's a nice way to do it AnnaP, respond directly to questions in quotes.

Good job on your signature too!

20 hours ago, Annap said:

Started with oxascand dec 2016 5 mg and took it twice a day for a couple of days. Then just on occasion. For some months 1-2/ week. For some months none at all. Havent taken any since feb this year, except for this one I took yesterday. Will be sure to not take anymore of them. What about lergigan 5 mg. I have taken it from time to time. None since may, except for last week when I had one for a couple of days.

Oxascand= Oxazepam.

Voxra= bupropion(Wellbutrin is the brand name).

And oh my gosh......you've been on/in a virtual whirlpool as far as the drugs/medications go for quite sometime.  I want to say cesspool........yet, I strive for moderation in all things these days.  B)  None the less.......I don't like psychotropic/psychiatric medications too much anymore.......and they way they are, in my opinion, prescribed.

Lergigan comes up as Promethiazine, which is in the antihistamine class of medications.  Let me know if you can access this site:  Drugs.com

......and of course another link for you to look at regarding using antihistamines:  Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia

I think the main problem, is that if the Promethiazine gave you some relief.......it does have the possibility of going paradoxical.  Paradoxical meaning that it might have the opposite effect......instead of calming.....it may cause even further anxiety......if you will.......or that unsettled feeling. 

And oh boy, certainly you probably experienced W/D from your Oxazepam.   When you were taking it twice a week.  Your benzo withdrawal may have been treated with the sertraline.  

I don't know that I give you all the answers but, for me......once I figured out why I was continually sick and getting sicker.......due to my medications/drugs........oh, boy.......it did make a difference in my "healing", if you will.  It still took awhile, in my case, to get my brain back and more physically able.  Just the same.......I feel fortunate.

AnnaP,  would you do a couple of days of a drug and symptom journal?  It's really simple........note the day.  Then on the left note the time, and then any medication/drug taken, and briefly symptoms that occur.  Include your sleep, eating, and any supplements that you might take.

Do consider the supplements that I listed/linked in my first post to you too.  Just start with one or the other.  I think I'd recommend you try some magnesium first.......carefully, and cautiously........as I've found that to help a lot with my own acute W/D and now sometimes protacted W/D.  I do the Epsom Salt baths mainly.  Check out the link though and then decide what you might consider.

And here's a link to an online community for people on the autistic spectrum.  Asperger and Autism Forum Community

I thought it looked nice.......however, I have not, as yet......registered or spent much time there.  So, let me know if you find it helpful, or what you think if you do register and contribute there.  Thanks.

All for now.

mmt

Edited by manymoretodays
spelling

On 11/2/2018 at 6:31 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi AnnaP,

.....and a thank you to ChessieCat.  She's another moderator, who fixed it all up.  And that's a nice way to do it AnnaP, respond directly to questions in quotes.

Good job on your signature too!

Oxascand= Oxazepam.

Voxra= bupropion(Wellbutrin is the brand name).

And oh my gosh......you've been on/in a virtual whirlpool as far as the drugs/medications go for quite sometime.  I want to say cesspool........yet, I strive for moderation in all things these days.  B)  None the less.......I don't like psychotropic/psychiatric medications too much anymore.......and they way they are, in my opinion, prescribed.

Lergigan comes up as Promethiazine, which is in the antihistamine class of medications.  Let me know if you can access this site:  Drugs.com

Yes, thank you I could reach it. Will try alternative ways to try to calm down. 

......and of course another link for you to look at regarding using antihistamines:  Antihistamines for withdrawal insomnia

I think the main problem, is that if the Promethiazine gave you some relief.......it does have the possibility of going paradoxical.  Paradoxical meaning that it might have the opposite effect......instead of calming.....it may cause even further anxiety......if you will.......or that unsettled feeling. 

And oh boy, certainly you probably experienced W/D from your Oxazepam.   When you were taking it twice a week.  Your benzo withdrawal may have been treated with the sertraline.  

I don't know that I give you all the answers but, for me......once I figured out why I was continually sick and getting sicker.......due to my medications/drugs........oh, boy.......it did make a difference in my "healing", if you will.  It still took awhile, in my case, to get my brain back and more physically able.  Just the same.......I feel fortunate.

I understand what you mean. Every time I have started a taper, I recoignize how ”drugged” I have been. But I have always failed going off, or at least staying off. I can feel things coming back in a good way. Its good to hear you feel  that you heal. 

AnnaP,  would you do a couple of days of a drug and symptom journal?  It's really simple........note the day.  Then on the left note the time, and then any medication/drug taken, and briefly symptoms that occur.  Include your sleep, eating, and any supplements that you might take.

Yes, I Will do this, I am using glenmullens checklist.

Do consider the supplements that I listed/linked in my first post to you too.  Just start with one or the other.  I think I'd recommend you try some magnesium first.......carefully, and cautiously........as I've found that to help a lot with my own acute W/D and now sometimes protacted W/D.  I do the Epsom Salt baths mainly.  Check out the link though and then decide what you might consider.

Thank you:) I do already eat magnesium and just started with fishoil.

And here's a link to an online community for people on the autistic spectrum.  Asperger and Autism Forum Community

I thought it looked nice.......however, I have not, as yet......registered or spent much time there.  So, let me know if you find it helpful, or what you think if you do register and contribute there.  Thanks.

Oh, thank you :) I might register there later. As for now I am just trying to cope with the WD symptoms, having a hard time only to do my everyday, that is I feel low energy and restlessness. I try to rest, but I have that tired and wired feeling, and almost as my brain is on fire from time to time. 

All for now.

mmt

Thank you so so much!!!! 

❤️

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

I want to thank you for your support.

I have been in doubt for very many years, weather to medicate or not. I have tapered fast, slow etc but everytime I find myself back in the state that first got me in these medications.

the reason for me to stop have always been a curiosity for who I would be without meds. But everytime I come off I remember that I am worse off the meds than with.

I function quite well and doesnt get depressed or overwhelmed with anxiety when on the meds.

since I have just recently found out that I have Aspergers I look at the medications a bit different.

without them I am hypersensitive and almost anything gets me out of balance. I lack the filter that most people have. Sometimes when I medicate I feel like I loose some of that sensitivity, both in a good and a bad way.

but life without that filter that the medications provide me is a very hard life for me. I just don’t function, get depressed (people within the autismspectrum tend to have depressions and anxiety more often than NT’s)

I recoignize the symtoms I have now, which can be described as WD’s as being the same symptoms as when I first got sick with severe anxiety and depression the first time.  For me I think I just need to accept that my brain is sensitive, Does not quite work like an NT’s and therefore I am more vulnerable to depression and need medication to prevent it and be stable. 

As I understand it many of you here in this forum don’t believe that depression can be cured or prevented by drugs, 

for me it has actually been the opposite, although I wish I could keep my sensitivity on the meds but skip the downside with it. That is not the case unfortunately. I have been in therapy for many years and have really tried to cope, but it hasn’t worked.

with all this Said I Will not be attending this forum anymore because I Will not continue my taper, but I do want to thank you for taking your time to write to me.

wish you all the best ❤️❤️

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

• Administrator

Hello, Annap. If you find your condition can be cured or prevented by psychiatric drugs, they're a good solution for you.

Please let us know if you would like any help with tapering or managing withdrawal symptoms.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

15 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, Annap. If you find your condition can be cured or prevented by psychiatric drugs, they're a good solution for you.

Please let us know if you would like any help with tapering or managing withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you ❤️

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Annap,

19 hours ago, Annap said:

more often than NT’s

I'm just wondering what NT stands for.

And okay.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

On 11/6/2018 at 4:42 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi Annap,

And okay.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

I think I used a wrong Word.

what I mean is people without braindysfunction, like autism.

normal brainfunction if you will:)

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

On 11/6/2018 at 4:42 PM, manymoretodays said:

Hi Annap,

And okay.

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

How can I shut down my account here? 

2008 -2009 effexor 150mg 

• Moderator Emeritus