Zyprexa19: starting olanzapine / Zyprexa taper

Zyprexa19

Hey @Zyprexa19, how are you getting on?

I am not a health professional - your actions are your own.  

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

My taper visualised as a graph   |   My intro thread

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

2015: olanzapine  10 -> 7½ -> 6⅔ -> 5mg  by crude pill cutter

2018:  Mar 5.00mg -> water titrated taper -> Aug2.5mg tablet and hold

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Jul 2023 2.50mg aripiprazole/day attempt to lower prolactin^

Jan-Feb 2024 cross taper off shots to 1mg risperidone

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zyprexa19

• ChessieCat

• hayduke

• Altostrata

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey I’ve been totally off the last 3.5 weeks

jumped off at 0.025 of a liquid compound taper

no withdrawal so far and sleeping 7 hours a night

I feel like a medical miracle

when I hit the 3 month mark I’ll write my success story 

a lot of fear mongering on this site.

there is hope and I am living proof.

hope you are well.

Zyprexa 5 mg since November 27th, 2018

briefly stopped from December 26th through January 4th, but had to go back on to external career stress (and bad advice from my shrink)

Good to hear from you, and especially that you're sleeping well.  Hope it continues to go well for you - let us know how you go..

Please do not seek tapering support via private message - "Any reason to hold is a good one"

Backdrop:  2003 10mg olanzapine | 2004 2-3mg risperidone | end 2014 3wks aripiprazole

Jan 2019 2.50mg water titration -> Jan 2020 1.214  -> Jan 2021 0.44 -> 2 Oct 0.205 ->3 Oct ZERO🥂

Jun 2023 💉150mg paliperidone "loading" depot shot, 100mg 1wk after Jul 100mg Aug-Dec 75mg/4wks

Ask not what you can do for your country, but what your country did to you"  -- KMFDM

• 4 weeks later...

(mod note:  originally titled "The best Zyprexa recovery story discoverable online"  in all caps.  Moved back to introduction topic.  No other changes made.  mmt)

I was originally going to wait 3 months of being totally off to write this thing, but it's already been two and I am feeling healthier than ever.

I was prescribed 5 MG of Zyprexa last November (2018) for the most stressful and anxiety-ridden period of my life by far, which was causing me to have chronic and persistent insomnia. I was finally able to get off in early September with NO WITHDRAWAL OR INSOMNIA at all. 

Initially, this drug was just intended to help get through a very stressful move from California back home. But then I started reading all of these horror stories about people trying to get off the drug - insomnia that was described as a "marathon without an end." Terrifying.  Plus, Alostrata told me that since I had been on the drug for roughly a month or so, that I was at risk of major withdrawal symptoms. I don't know if she was right or not - in fact, I think that a lot of her guidance may be fear-mongering at times. But at the same time, I would estimate that between SA, headmeds, crazyboards, Mad in America, Health Unlocked, patient.info and various anti-psychotic support groups on Facebook, there are roughly 1000 self-reported entries of people trying to get off of Zyprexa. 90 to 95 percent of these posts are negative, if not horrendous in nature. Also, my compound pharmacist said that 90 percent of the people he sees who are prescribed Zyprexa - even at a "low" 5 MG dose - are unable to discontinue the drug or have to be switched to another antipsychotic. **** THAT.

Anyway, I researched this stuff exhaustively and I determined that the best way to get off the drug was to get a liquid compound solution specially made by a compound pharmacy. The liquid compound is the best way because the active ingredient in the tablet is not evenly distributed throughout the pill. This is why pill-splitting is unreliable and stupid. I initially followed the taper advice of this forum - 10 percent of previous dose - but accelerated the rate  of my cuts to every 7 to 10 days. Honestly, I think it's absurd that this site advocates a taper strategy of 2 freaking years to get off of 5 MG.

Anyways, my first cut of the solution was .5 mg of 5 in late February or early March. But the drug was still making me very depressed - olanzapine blocks dopamine and seratonin - so your whole pleasure-reward mechanisms get thrown out of whack. I also started consulting a holistic psychiatrist in Maryland. She actually prescribed me the compound solution. Overall though, I ended up firing her. I think she means well, I do. But I just felt like she kept pushing expensive holistic supplements on me. And she scolded me a lot if I didn't follow her exact instructions or if I texted her to confirm an appointment. Like I'm ******* paying you for medical advice, not to scold me like a child. I don't know it just felt manipulative, so I cut ties and resolved to do this on my own.

Anyways  I kept cutting 0.2 MG every 7-10 days and managed to shave off 2 MG and get down to 3 MG by June. But around this time I was very depressed and actively trying to kill myself with pentobarbital. A. The drug was making me depressed and B. I was scared that I was going to have permanent brain damage from exposure to olanzapine. Fortunately, my parents intervened. I won't go into detail exactly. But let's just say I was thrust into a situation where I was forced to immediately cut from 3 to 2.5 MG. I barely slept the first night, but after that I slept fine with no problems. Three weeks after my cut down to 2.5, I started cutting again.

In any event, my suicidality faded. From late June through early September, I kept cutting at a rate of 0.2 MG every 5-to-7 days until I got down to 0.2 MG. From there I cut to 0.1 MG, then to 0.05 MG and finally jumped off around 0.02 MG. Apart from the mania of feeling alive again, I suffered no withdrawl.

BUT HERE ARE THE SUPPLEMENTS AND STRATEGIES THAT HELPED ME.

#1 Training myself to fall asleep naturally before taking my Olanz dose

Through out the process I tried to initiate sleep without the drug. This way I would close my eyes for a couple of hours and then take my dose after midnight, so my body didn't forget how to sleep on its own. Insomnia is the most commonly reported discontinuation effect of Zyprexa, so this is key.

#2 Magnesium L-Threonate and Caprylic Acid

These two supplements are literally the only two supplements scientifically proven to have neuroprotective qualities. MIT research show that Mag L-Threonate helps repair damaged neurons and improves cognition and memory. In rodent students, caprylic acid - the brain octane oil in bulletproof coffee (available at Whole Foods and elsewhere) -

is shown to improve memory and cognition. My hypothesis is that if a supplement is enhancing cognitive and memory functions, it is probably improving other less measurable areas of brain health.

#3 Full Spectrum CBD Oil -sublingual drops

CBD oil was essential to my recovery. Scientific studies shows that it  boosts seratonin, which has an anti-depressant and anxiolytic effect. There is the anti-Zyprexa support group on facebook led by Ann Blake-Tracy, which insists that you should avoid seratogenic  supplements, along with coffee and alcohol while you are tapering, but I found this to be complete nonsense, especially the seratonin stuff. I challenged their sertaonin fear-mongering with my CBD oil argument and was banned from the group. LOL. They are really not very smart.

#4 Linzess

Olanzapine will constipate the **** out of you, no pun intended. Traditional laxatives, when used in excess, will cause addiction. You need to get a specialized constipation drug like Linzess which is much more powerful, while at the same time being non-habit forming. Honestly, had I been chronically constipated, I know for a fact I would have killed myself.

IN CONCLUSION 

During the last 2 months or so of my taper, I would fall asleep for like 4 hours or so and wouldn't take my dose until after 2 AM. I came out of the darkest period of my life, with the odds stacked against me. Psychiatrists are idiots that just want to push pills and have no training in discontinuation/withdrawal - don't trust them. Don't waste your money on holistic practitioners who may want to exploit your vulnerability and bully you.  If you are trying to get off of zyprexa, absolutely try to initiate sleep naturally before taking your evening dose. Add Magensium L-threonate, caprylic acid and a full-spectrum (all 3 cannabinoids CBD, CBN and less than 0.3 percent THC) sublingual CBD oil. I say sublingual, because this formage of dosage is much more potent than the capsules.

Lastly, before this post, everybody was idiotically citing "Andy's Success Story" as the paradigm for successful recovery. Sorry, but 3 months of relentless insomnia to get to "the other side" is horrible. My success story is far more inspiring and hopeful. I don't know if these tips will work for everybody, e.g. people who have been on the drug for longer than a year, or those who have been on olanzapine at very high doses. But this should be helpful to some people who are not preeminently psychotic, but who found their way to this poison after experiencing unimaginable life stress.

I do think that Alostrata's guidance is overly conservative, but maybe there are a lot of people who are better off making micro-cuts every month and taking years to get off of a drug. All I know, is that I was able to taper much faster and today, I am completely off of this neurodegenerative poison. I experienced no withdrawl. I got my body and physical conditioning back. And I'm sleeping 6.5 hours every night with no sleep aides.

This is the best Zyprexa recovery story you will ever read. I hope it inspires you to keep fighting and gives you hope that you can recover your health, mental and otherwise. 

Edited by manymoretodays
moved from success stories, only 3 months off

briefly stopped from December 26th through January 4th, but had to go back on to external career stress (and bad advice from my shrink)

• Administrator

You're very welcome for all the good advice you've gotten here about gradual tapering.

Really glad you're doing so well. We look forward to your success story when you're 6 months off -- well out of the woods. It's early yet.

Please continue to let us know how you're doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

• 1 month later...

Over 90 days totally off. No withdrawal except for a little mania right after cessation 

#miracle

hoping to inspire others with my story 

• 3 weeks later...

Still doing amazing.

there is hope people

full recovery

just need to check my cholesterol levels 

but you can make a full recovery from this garbage 

it’s possible

• 1 month later...

Hi Zyprexa19, how are you getting on?

Cheers

Hey zyprexa19.   I myself am getting close to jumping.  Im currently at around 0.004 g.  At what grams did you jump?

Past Meds:

Amitriptyline 10 mg - taken from April 2018 To June 2018 (CT)

Lexapro (5 mg) - took for a week and stopped (CT) during Jan 2019

Zoloft (25 mg) - took for a week and stopped (CT) during Jan 2019

Olanzapine (5mg) - taken from Oct 2018 to May 2020.  Began taper in Aug 2019 to May 2020 from 5 mg to 2.5 mg to 1.25 mg to < 0.625 mg.  Didnt do 10% taper till at 0.625 mg
Klonopin (0.50 mg initially, now at 0.25 mg) Oct 2018 to Oct 2020.  Began taper in Aug 2020 to Oct 2020 from 0.25 mg to 0 mg.  Microtapered.   

Current Meds:

Seroquel (starting dose at 75 mg) - taken from Aug 2019 to present.  **Taper for Seroquel began in February 2021.  Currently at 2 mg.**

Supplements: Mg Glycinate and Vitamin D

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus, man. Just jump off at this point. I think I jumped off at like 0.025 or something

Careful guys. We have to watch our units of measure here. Jt is indicating that he is still at 4mgai which is way too high a dose to jump. He needs to continue to taper until he gets down to some where around 0.04mgai.  That's going to take a while longer.

.004g (grams) is the same as 4mg (milligrams)

20 years on Paxil starting at 20mg and working up to 40mg. Sept 2011 started 10% every 6 weeks taper (2.5% every week for 4 weeks then hold for 2 additional weeks), currently at 7.9mg. Oct 2011 CTed 15oz vodka a night, to only drinking 2 beers most nights, totally sober Feb 2013.

Since I wrote this I have continued to decrease my dose by 10% every 6 weeks (2.5% every week for 4 weeks and then hold for an additional 2 weeks). I added in an extra 6 week hold when I hit 10mg to let things settle out even more. When I hit 3mgpw it became hard to split the drop into 4 parts so I switched to dropping 1mgpw (pill weight) every week for 3 weeks and then holding for another 3 weeks.  The 3 + 3 schedule turned out to be too harsh so I cut back to dropping 1mgpw every 4 weeks which is working better.

Final Dose 0.016mg.     Current dose 0.000mg 04-15-2017

"It's also important not to become angry, no matter how difficult life is, because you can loose all hope if you can't laugh at yourself and at life in general."  Stephen Hawking

7 minutes ago, brassmonkey said:

Careful guys. We have to watch our units of measure here. Jt is indicating that he is still at 4mgai which is way too high a dose to jump. He needs to continue to taper until he gets down to some where around 0.04mgai.  That's going to take a while longer.

.004g (grams) is the same as 4mg (milligrams)

hey brassmonkey.  Im at less than 0.625 mg.  So Im at a tiny crumb and my scale doesnt seem to be reading it well anymore as the crumb gets smaller.  

Past Meds:

Olanzapine (5mg) - taken from Oct 2018 to May 2020.  Began taper in Aug 2019 to May 2020 from 5 mg to 2.5 mg to 1.25 mg to < 0.625 mg.  Didnt do 10% taper till at 0.625 mg
Klonopin (0.50 mg initially, now at 0.25 mg) Oct 2018 to Oct 2020.  Began taper in Aug 2020 to Oct 2020 from 0.25 mg to 0 mg.  Microtapered.   

Current Meds:

Seroquel (starting dose at 75 mg) - taken from Aug 2019 to present.  **Taper for Seroquel began in February 2021.  Currently at 2 mg.**

Good eye brassmonkey

good news is I’m 6 months totally off and never felt better

you will not find a better recovery story

i made Zyprexa my b****

@Zyprexa19 glad to hear things are going well for you.

You mention magnesium L-threonate.  How much were you taking a day?

Awesome zyprexa19

Past Meds:

Current Meds:

@hayduke 144 mg

• 10 months later...

How you doing Zyprexa19?

6.01.20 - 6.02.20: Seroquel/Quetiapine 25mg

7.02.20 - 13.02.20: Attempted CT ran into extreme rebound insomnia

13.02.20 - 04.07.20Reinstated and holding Seroquel/Quetiapine 13.5mg, 1mg Circadin 

Began Tapering of Seroquel

04.07.20 - Quetiapine 13mg 12.07.20 - Quetiapine 12.5mg 20.07.20 - Quetiapine 12mg 28.07.20 - Quetiapine 11.5mg

02.08.20 - Quetiapine 11.mg 06.08.20 - Quetiapine 10.5mg 10.08.20 - Quetiapine 10mg 15.08.20 Quetiapine 9.5mg

18.08.20 Quetiapine 9mg 23.08.20 Quetiapine 8.5 27.08.20 Quetiapine 8mg 31.08.20 Quetiapine 7.75mg 02.09.20 Quetiapine 7.5mg 06.09.20 Quetiapine 7.25mg 08.09.20 Quetiapine 7mg 12.09.20 Quetiapine 6.75mg 14.09.20 Quetiapine 6.5mg 19.09.20 Quetiapine 6.25mg 21.09.20 Quetiapine 6mg 24.09.20 Quetiapine 5.75mg 01.10.20 Quetiapine 5.5mg 03.10.20 Quetiapine 5.25mg 05.10.2020 Quetiapine 5mg 09.10.2020 Quetiapine 4.75mg 12.10.2020 Quetiapine 4.5mg 14.10.2020 Quetiapine 4.25mg 17.10.2020 Quetiapine 4mg 21.10.2020 Quetiapine 3.75mg 24.10.2020 Quetiapine 3.5mg 1.11.2020 Quetiapine 3 mg 7.11.2020 Quetiapine 2.5 mgs 13.11.2020 Quetiapine 2 mg 16.11.2020 Quetiapine 1.5 mg 20.11.2020 Quetiapine 1.25mg 23.11.2020 Quetiapine 1mg 26.12.2020 Quetiapine 0.75mg 16.01.2020 Quetiapine 0.5mg 17.02.2020 Quetiapine 0.25mg 17.03.2021 Quetiapine 0.125mg 9.04.2021 Quetiapine 0!!!

I’m excellent. Thriving. Sleeping great. Cholesterol levels have been declining. Mind is sharper than ever.

you?

Hi @Zyprexa19

Went through your success story, quite inspiring... I was on olanzapine 20mg for a month caused me depression so I went cold turkey for two weeks! Insomnia hit me real bad, I reinstated yesterday at 1mg with altos advice.

I’d love you to go through my introduction and updates to see if there’s any suggestions? Thanks 

11 Dec. 2020 - 12 Jan. 2021 olanzapine 10mg at day & 10mg at night.

CTed due to side effect of this poison WD hit me for 14days before I found this site.

27 Jan. 2021: reinstated olanzapine at 1mg daily..

23Mar-0.9 mg; 6Apr-0.8 mg; 20Apr-0.7 mg