tsranga: intro and withdrawal

tsranga

tips-for-tapering-off-stomach-acid-blockers-or-ppis-esomeprazole-lansoprazole-omeprazole

^ Interesting thread. I have had GERD for close to 30 years that I have been managing without PPIs or antacids.. 

Since I stopped mirtazapine CT in 2019, I have noticed a pattern that whenever my gut feels stuck in my left abdomen (sigmoid colon), and the gas has no outlet, I start burping more and have trouble falling asleep even with my bed raised, until the gut starts moving (gas is cleared, with BMs at times).  I have also noticed some foods (chocolate, coffee, tomatoes) and exercise (brisk walking) cause some GERD but only when my gut is not moving right..  

Since I have started diaphragmatic breathing, most of the time, it triggers the gut movement and reduces GERD, but at times, especially with rapid weather changes / heat, I still have GERD. 

I have been suspecting high vagal tone as one of the causes for my IBS/GERD, and this paper seems to support my assumption https://bmcpulmmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2466-13-33

Has anyone looked at a vagus nerve issue causing gastroperisis / GERD and figured out what helped to manage this? 

I was speaking to my doctor brother, and he's been taking PPIs for 23 years and he believes its better to take the PPIs and manage the GERD rather have the acid eroding the esophagus.. 

Thoughts?

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title for context before moving to member's intro topic

Chronic IBS since 1990

Former smoker (1992- Jun 2017)

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

Mirtazapine 7.5mg 8/17 to 5/18

Mirtazapine 3.75mg 5/18 to 1/19

Off Mirtazapine since 2/19.

Vit B, Vit D+K2 and Magnesium Glycinate as needed.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

On Ashwagandha 1g since Nov 2020

• Moderator Emeritus
1 hour ago, tsranga said:

Has anyone looked at a vagus nerve issue causing gastroperisis / GERD and figured out what helped to manage this? 

Here is a discussion topic about vagus-nerve-stimulation

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

8 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Here is a discussion topic about vagus-nerve-stimulation

Thanks I have read that entire thread.. Most of vagus nerve treatments talk about stimulating the vagus nerve, and assumes a poor vagal tone.   The more I am reading, in withdrawal, we have parasympathetic excess / high vagal tone, which causes issues at rest. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

Prescribed mirtazapine for sleep in Aug 2017 after IBS flare-up following Nicotine cessation.

On Ayurvedic herbs for GI issues - Guduchi since Jul 2020, Indukantham since Oct 2020

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, tsranga said:

I have read that entire thread.

Did you see this?

On 10/22/2012 at 5:09 AM, Altostrata said:

My acupuncturist does full-body acupuncture. He has an MD and a PhD in neurophysiology.

Please let me clarify: He's given me treatments to CALM and STABILIZE vagus nerve activity, not to stimulate the vagus nerve!

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

3 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Did you see this?

I think I did read that a while back, and that makes sense.. and I did go to an acupuncturist.. and have had 3 sessions. I was feeling much better for the first two weeks, but have been in a flare this week. 

He did not mention anything specific about the vagus nerve, but more about balancing the energies to strengthen the earth element, and help stabilize the body overall as there is so much going on.

My guess is that the storms this week and the temperature changes overwhelmed the system despite the acupuncture.   This was my experience 20+ years back with another acupuncturist as well - sensitivity to weather was the explanation I was given when my IBS flares up after doing very well initially. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

• Moderator Emeritus

I have moved the posts to your Introduction topic.  The Tips for Tapering topic was going off-topic.

Have you seen this topic:  digestive-problems-nausea-diarrhoea-bloating-gerd

I have noticed that you have started a lot of new topics.  SA works differently to many other forums, preferring to keep similar information in one topic which makes it easier for members to find.  There are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new one, please do a search to see if one already exists.

You can either use the site search function or use a search engine and add site:survivingantidepressants.org to the search term.

11 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

I have noticed that you have started a lot of new topics.  SA works differently to many other forums, preferring to keep similar information in one topic which makes it easier for members to find.  There are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new one, please do a search to see if one already exists.

Thanks.. I do search for similar posts and ask my question there instead of creating new ones.. sometimes it is hard to find the exact match.. unless you read through the entire thread 🙂.. 

For the most part, I have been through digestive threads and gone through many of the protocols (sibo, gut dysbiosis, FODMAP etc). 

It appears that weather changes are the most probable trigger to my GI issues. Now the question is what exactly happens when there is a change and which is the sensitive component.. I suspect something to do with abdominal pressure/baroreceptor function that is controlled by the vagus nerve. So something in the vagus nerve (gut-brain) pathway is setting it off.  

Diapghrammatic breathing has been the most reliable tool to get it back on track, bit it can take longer depending on the magnitude of the trigger.. if there is too much going on - weather changes, triggering foods, emotional stress, or just a wave, then it takes 2-3 days to settle down.

Chronic IBS since 1990

On 11/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, tsranga said:

Thanks.. I do search for similar posts and ask my question there instead of creating new ones.. sometimes it is hard to find the exact match.. unless you read through the entire thread 🙂.. 

For the most part, I have been through digestive threads and gone through many of the protocols (sibo, gut dysbiosis, FODMAP etc). 

It appears that weather changes are the most probable trigger to my GI issues. Now the question is what exactly happens when there is a change and which is the sensitive component.. I suspect something to do with abdominal pressure/baroreceptor function that is controlled by the vagus nerve. So something in the vagus nerve (gut-brain) pathway is setting it off.  

Diapghrammatic breathing has been the most reliable tool to get it back on track, bit it can take longer depending on the magnitude of the trigger.. if there is too much going on - weather changes, triggering foods, emotional stress, or just a wave, then it takes 2-3 days to settle down.

Hi there,

I have similar issues. I was on 50mg of Zoloft and it was really awful. I was gagging and nauseous all the time on it, lost weight and eventually was sleeping so little I stopped cold turkey after 8 weeks. That was over 3 months ago and since then I have experience intense bloating after eating/by the end of the day. My symptoms most closely align with gastroparesis which I assume is linked to the Zoloft and it’s impact on my vagus nerve. I have also tried low fodmap. I work out, do yoga and therapy. Nothing really seems to help, kind of hoping it just needs more time to heal :( 

25mg Zoloft June 5-June 15 2021

50mg Zoloft June 15-August 3 2021 

cold Turkey August 3 due to unbearable side effects 

13 hours ago, sbanksby said:

Hi there,

I have similar issues. I was on 50mg of Zoloft and it was really awful. I was gagging and nauseous all the time on it, lost weight and eventually was sleeping so little I stopped cold turkey after 8 weeks. That was over 3 months ago and since then I have experience intense bloating after eating/by the end of the day. My symptoms most closely align with gastroparesis which I assume is linked to the Zoloft and it’s impact on my vagus nerve. I have also tried low fodmap. I work out, do yoga and therapy. Nothing really seems to help, kind of hoping it just needs more time to heal :( 

Sorry to hear that nothing seems to help.  I would try belly breathing (diaphragmmatic breathing lying down) for 20 minutes, whenever your gut feels stuck..  Initially, I would be too scared to do this as it would be extremely painful/uncomfortable, but once you establish the habit and push through the discomfort, it is probably the most important tool we have to get the gut moving.   Try and do it after each meal. 

Also, make sure you eat nothing in between meals and space it out 4-5 hours if you can. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

• 2 months later...

Good morning.  Reading your story is so familiar.  You and I have many of the same symptoms.  I too was on Mirt for 4.5 years.   I have all of the IBS issues you have mentioned and in fact you’ve taught me a thing or two about some of the symptoms.  One major IBS issue I’ve had almost from day 1 is constipation.  I really struggle with this and I would say it’s my largest complaint after the sleep issues. Something I’ve learned from you is the correlation between the bowel movements and being able to have a more restful night.  I never made the association but in reflecting, that is absolutely the case.  I’ve experienced this in the last two days as I’ve had insomnia.  Night before last 3 hours sleep, awake for 3.5 hrs,  BM, then sleep for another 3 hours.  Last night sleep from 10:30 to 1:30 and no BM and I haven’t slept yet.  I deal with major gas 24/7, and it gets more severe at night while in bed.  The other issues you mention are all things I struggle with or have struggled with.  My two year mark in Aug 2021 brought on a huge wave and I’m not out yet.  2020 was an easier time for me.  Im praying for a window soon. Next month I will be 30 months off the med.  I also have autoimmune diseases (RA and Sjögrens) and I know the autoimmune issues have added to my problems.  My Sjögrens is so severe now I’m having bone loss in my mouth because of it.  My eyes are a mess because of the dryness from Sjögrens and I think I’ve had various skin related issues because of the autoimmune aspect of withdrawal.  How are you doing these days? I see you haven’t updated since the spring of last year.  I hope you’ve seen improvements.

Started 15mg Mirtazapine 2/2015

Began Taper 8/2018

Stopped drug 8/2019

3 hours ago, Winner51 said:

Good morning.  Reading your story is so familiar.  You and I have many of the same symptoms.  I too was on Mirt for 4.5 years.   I have all of the IBS issues you have mentioned and in fact you’ve taught me a thing or two about some of the symptoms.  One major IBS issue I’ve had almost from day 1 is constipation.  I really struggle with this and I would say it’s my largest complaint after the sleep issues. Something I’ve learned from you is the correlation between the bowel movements and being able to have a more restful night.  I never made the association but in reflecting, that is absolutely the case.  I’ve experienced this in the last two days as I’ve had insomnia.  Night before last 3 hours sleep, awake for 3.5 hrs,  BM, then sleep for another 3 hours.  Last night sleep from 10:30 to 1:30 and no BM and I haven’t slept yet.  I deal with major gas 24/7, and it gets more severe at night while in bed.  The other issues you mention are all things I struggle with or have struggled with.  My two year mark in Aug 2021 brought on a huge wave and I’m not out yet.  2020 was an easier time for me.  Im praying for a window soon. Next month I will be 30 months off the med.  I also have autoimmune diseases (RA and Sjögrens) and I know the autoimmune issues have added to my problems.  My Sjögrens is so severe now I’m having bone loss in my mouth because of it.  My eyes are a mess because of the dryness from Sjögrens and I think I’ve had various skin related issues because of the autoimmune aspect of withdrawal.  How are you doing these days? I see you haven’t updated since the spring of last year.  I hope you’ve seen improvements.

I am sorry to hear that you are dealing with so much. I am completing 3 years this month, and I still deal with the same issues at a lower intensity/duration. 

I routinely have reflux as I fall asleep and wake up with gas early AM. Between that I get about 4-5 hrs of consistent sleep. During the day, I deal with slow gas transit and visceral sensitivity, sinus pressure and feet parasthesia.. 

Weather changes make it worse. 

Acupuncture gives me some relief and has helped me with better temperature tolerance and less fight/flight response, but a hypersensitive nervous system can make it very hard to stabilize.. 

Chronic IBS since 1990

• 1 month later...
  • Moderator Emeritus

• 3 months later...

@tsranga

How are you doing? 

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

8 hours ago, Ariel said:

@tsranga

How are you doing? 

Appears to be stabilizing with drastic weather changes still causing issues but overall much better than I have ever been in the last 3.5 years.

GI motility in the afternoons is still slow, combined with some stuffy nose, heavy head. Clears up in the evening. Morning wakeup and sleep onset still affected by GI issues ( heavy gut, reflux), but milder along with joint pains. 

Temperature sensitivity has been very good ( probably because of the extended warm spell), and I have been able handle the heat pretty well. 

Some leg paresthesia below knees still appears when exposed to heat/cold before it settles.  

Chronic IBS since 1990

@tsranga

Glad to hear you're stabilizing.

Thank you for sharing about your improvements.

I trust you will continue to feel better and better. 

Healing is happening <3

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

On 6/27/2022 at 12:07 AM, Ariel said:

@tsranga

Glad to hear you're stabilizing.

Thank you for sharing about your improvements.

I trust you will continue to feel better and better. 

Healing is happening ❤️

Just when you think you are healing, there is always something around the corner that shakes things up.

Met with an autonomic specialist who retested my reflexes and the good news was that I showed improvements in most areas. Two areas of concern were - 

1. Absent ankle jerk reflex - can be peripheral neuropathy, hypothyroidism, or be among the 20% of healthy people who exhibit the same response.

2. Left abdomen reflex slower than the right. 

Has suggested sweat and tilt table testing and reiterates a vagus nerve disorder, and in fact agreed with me that it could be due to excess parasympathetic activity as most of my symptoms appear and are worse at rest.  I was ready to undergo the tests even though I have some PTSD about heat and saunas. 

A day later I tested positive for covid, and I was doing fine until my old symptoms flared up (left toe cramps, leg paresthesia, heightened hot/cold sensitivity and stuck gut).  The COVID symptoms themselves have been mild so far - feeling hot internally even though temp is normal along with high HR all day and night (in the 90-100s) and is slowly settling down today. 

I don't know if the flare was due to COVID (last December when I had covid, most of my withdrawal/dysautonomia symptoms  subsided), or due to the sudden drop in temperature / pressure, or anxiety/PTSD about the change in routine (COVID protocol of isolation, masking at home, keeping others safe) or the sweat/sauna testing (since my body was unable to cool down until this morning). 

I have been trying to follow my usual routine today even though I could not sleep much, and it is helping. 

Does this level of sensitivity/panic sound familiar to others in withdrawal? When does the nervous system get strong enough to deal with multiple changes/triggers?

Chronic IBS since 1990

Hi @tsranga

On 7/2/2022 at 9:55 PM, tsranga said:

Does this level of sensitivity/panic sound familiar to others in withdrawal? When does the nervous system get strong enough to deal with multiple changes/triggers?

I can't speak to the panic (are you saying you feel panicked in reaction? as in health anxiety?). I can certainly relate to the sensitivity and the variety of symptoms. All that sounds very WD. 

As for your question, "When does the nervous system get strong enough to deal with multiple changes/triggers?"

The way you've phrased this could be interpreted to imply that a symptomatic nervous system is currently not strong enough to deal with changes/triggers. 

However, there is another way to look at it. One might view the symptoms as the nervous system's way of dealing with changes/triggers. 

So it's not necessarily that it's not strong enough to manage, but rather that in it's current state, this is how it manages, and you feel the effects of that as symptoms. 

It's like, imagine looking at someone who's trying to stand on one leg. Let's call this person X. What you see is X standing on both feet, then lifting their right foot off the ground, then raising their right leg higher and higher. During this time, X is standing on their left leg. And that left leg is wobbling. In fact, X is wobbling about, swaying to one side then the other, all while standing on their left leg and holding their right leg off the ground, raising it. Can you picture it? X standing on one leg, wobbling? 

Well, you might look at X and say: Whoa, X is really not balanced on that leg. 

You might look at X and say: Wow, X is in the process of balancing on that leg.

Do you see what I mean? Balancing is a verb, it's a process. Sometimes the process of balancing looks like wobbling. 

Of course, when we think of "balance" we might easily conjure up the image of a yogi standing perfectly still on one leg, already in equilibrium. This yogi is in balance, already balanced, in the moment we see them. But there was a process to get to that stillness, and that process is just as much a part of balancing as the maintenance of balance once it is achieved. And anyway, the notion of being balanced in a static state is an illusion; if that's what we think is happening, it's just because the myriad subtle adjustments taking place continuously to sustain that balance are too small and imperceptible for us to notice; but there is always motion, always. 

So you see, tsranga, how this might possibly relate to your nervous system and your experience of symptoms? I don't know that it is so, I cannot say. 

This is just to offer and alternative perspective that perhaps your body, brain, nervous system are performing their jobs very well, and the sensations you are feeling in your body are the byproducts of that work. What you are feeling may be the wobble, and all the while your body is productively balancing. 

Do you know this essay, What is happening in your brain? 

It explores the many ways in which our brains are healing, and how these repairs might not feel good to us in the moment even though the repairs certainly are good in the bigger picture. 

19 hours ago, Ariel said:

can't speak to the panic (are you saying you feel panicked in reaction? as in health anxiety?). I can certainly relate to the sensitivity and the variety of symptoms. All that sounds very WD. 

As for your question, "When does the nervous system get strong enough to deal with multiple changes/triggers?"

The way you've phrased this could be interpreted to imply that a symptomatic nervous system is currently not strong enough to deal with changes/triggers. 

However, there is another way to look at it. One might view the symptoms as the nervous system's way of dealing with changes/triggers. 

Thanks for the perspective. I always come around to seeing it differently in a way that heals... It's just that sometimes it takes a while to get to that state... and the positive is that it took less time to get back to my typical state after the disruption due to COVID combined with drastic weather change, and opening up the fear of old symptoms returning triggered the PTSD panic.

The  internal heat  from COVID plus the drop in temperature made it hard to adapt (adapting to drastic variations in temp is my main issue that triggers all other symptoms), and that triggered the return of some of my old symptoms including the ruminative thoughts (trying to solve the unresolved problem of being able to handle the tests, handling the change to my self care routine due to isolation, keeping others safe by masking and cleaning).   

Once the fever went away and I got into a new routine, I was able to process my thoughts better and realized that I have been inside a car without AC in 100 deg heat multiple times in withdrawal and sweated through it without a problem, which brought closure to the test issue. 

I then realized that my usual symptoms were stronger this time due to the additional stress on the body, and I had to stick to what has always worked for me (breathing and walking in nature) to get back to center.

I have read the what happens to the brain multiple times..  it's a great read.

The one emotion that is very strong during a flare is the fear.. even though we have seen it so many times..  the fear permeates all thoughts and interactions.. 

There is always that sense of foreboding even when when good things are happening to you because you think something bad is just around the corner..  but I have gotten better at not ruminating over it..  so this flare took me by surprise.

Chronic IBS since 1990

I hear you @tsranga

It all makes sense. 

I'm sorry you've been going through COVID and that it sent you into a wave (if I'm reading you correctly). 

57 minutes ago, tsranga said:

The one emotion that is very strong during a flare is the fear.. even though we have seen it so many times..  the fear permeates all thoughts and interactions.. 

Yes. Same thing happens to me. It can be hard to see out when we're in. 

58 minutes ago, tsranga said:

There is always that sense of foreboding even when when good things are happening to you because you think something bad is just around the corner..  but I have gotten better at not ruminating over it..  so this flare took me by surprise.

I think I know what you mean. Like not wanting to count your chickens before they hatch. The unpredictability is hard, sometimes our minds try to brace against it by resisting the present moment. It's a natural defense mechanism, the mind's attempt at self-protection. As we heal this gets easier. Slowly we learn to trust and let go. 

I'm glad you're feeling better and have been able to breathe, walk in nature, and re-center. 

Healing is happening <3

• 6 months later...

4 year update:

What's better - 

1. Food tolerance has definitely improved and I have been able to eat most foods in moderation. I still avoid/limit alcohol.

2. Heat cold tolerance seems to have also improved, although thermoregulation is still a problem.

3. Sleep has improved despite two bouts of COVID, even though I continue to have symptoms  with early AM awakening (all year) and late sleep onset (in warmer conditions).

4. Gut motility / gastroparesis has shown some minor improvements, but still very much a daily issue. There appears to be a diurnal pattern to gut motility that also seems tied to thermoregulation. 

5. Sensory hypersensitivity has also improved. I can tolerate more smells and sounds, touch/tactile sensitivity has improved, and light sensitivity is better. 

What's still around -

The biggest challenge in withdrawal is that I have no clear windows. I am symptomatic daily, while my evenings are mostly symptom free.  Also, it is hard to measure progress as symptoms wax and wane, mostly affected by drastic weather, heat, cold and pressure changes. It appears that I can get some symptom free days, if the weather stays consistent without wide and sudden variations. For the most part, I cannot plan my day as every day brings a new set of symptoms, so I just take each day as it comes.

I appear to have some sort of autonomic dysfunction / dysautonomia that affects my thermoregulation, GI motility, respiration (vasomotor rhinitis) and leg paresthesia.

The intensity and frequency of symptoms have not gone down, but the duration and recovery times seem to have shortened.

Symptoms still present - 

Gut - stuck gas, bloat, visceral sensitivity, burping, gut noises, reflux, heartburn.

Brain - Anxiety, fight/flight reactions(has reduced), mood swings, racing thoughts, rumination, panic, hypervigilance, evening disorientation.

Head - ear, head, sinus pressure, tinnitus (reduced), involuntary air rushing through the nose while falling asleep, occasional eye, cheek twitching, 

Arms / Legs - leg paresthesia, cold/hot/dry feet and hands.

Supplements/Wellness routines - 

1. Bi-weekly acupuncture

2. Daily yoga, alternate nostril and diapghrammatic breathing.

3. Weekly PT for myofascial release and pelvic function (just started).

4. Supplements limited to Vit B12, Magnesium glycinatee, vit D3 k2. 

5. Ayurvedic protocol - Daily oil massage, indukantham gritham and kalyanakam gritham herbs for nerve, gut and immune system health.

Chronic IBS since 1990

@tsranga how does your leg paresthesia  feel like  I just started a month ago with symptoms as well and it’s so overwhelming. 

December 27, 22’ Lexapro 10mg (only took one dose and immediately stopped) 

(Taking magnesium before bed 11 PM)

Look to the LORD, and his strength; seek his face always 🙏❤️

1 hour ago, Annaaa said:

@tsranga how does your leg paresthesia  feel like  I just started a month ago with symptoms as well and it’s so overwhelming. 

It can be pretty overwhelming. For me it is a combination of one or more sensations - twitching, stiffness, pain, tingling, burning, hot or cold spots.. 

It usually appears when switching between hot and cold exposure, switching postures, and most often when lying down. It can make wearing socks or certain fabrics quite challenging because you can get a burning feeling, but if you don't you feel really cold.

All of this is a circulation issue - there maybe nothing wrong with your blood vessels or nerves structurally, but the body struggles to vasodilates/vasoconstrict in response to cold/heat, most likely due a faulty communication between the central nervous system and your peripheral nervous system.

What helps me is to first reduce my anxiety levels by breathing through it when it happens and knowing that it will pass.  Then, I make sure I wear fabrics that are soft, smooth and breathable. Lastly, I massage by body daily with herbal oil, and supplement with vit B12 and vit D3. 

This has helped reduce the frequency and intensity of symptoms.

I still get it with drastic changes in heat or cold, so I make sure my skin is covered from direct exposure to cold or heat at those times. Cold air and hot sun together are typically most challenging.. so stay covered and try to keep moving when outdoors.

Chronic IBS since 1990

@tsranga thank you so much for your response and your advice . This is really difficult for me, I have noticed also that with my Paresthesia or idk if is related but I can’t feel pain, I have a one year old son he has bite me and the pain is not fully there , I don’t know if it make sense but have you experienced anything similar ?

39 minutes ago, Annaaa said:

@tsranga thank you so much for your response and your advice . This is really difficult for me, I have noticed also that with my Paresthesia or idk if is related but I can’t feel pain, I have a one year old son he has bite me and the pain is not fully there , I don’t know if it make sense but have you experienced anything similar ?

Yes.. reaction to pain, heat or cold can be delayed 

Chronic IBS since 1990

@tsranga have you had improvement for the pain like being able to feel that again ? It gets me really scared and frustrated. 😔

7 hours ago, Annaaa said:

@tsranga have you had improvement for the pain like being able to feel that again ? It gets me really scared and frustrated. 😔

Yes..  All symptoms get better and eventually will resolve. Some can take a long time depending on your specific weak spots.

Chronic IBS since 1990

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2023 at 2:03 PM, tsranga said:

4 year update:

What's better - 

1. Food tolerance has definitely improved and I have been able to eat most foods in moderation. I still avoid/limit alcohol.

2. Heat cold tolerance seems to have also improved, although thermoregulation is still a problem.

3. Sleep has improved despite two bouts of COVID, even though I continue to have symptoms  with early AM awakening (all year) and late sleep onset (in warmer conditions).

4. Gut motility / gastroparesis has shown some minor improvements, but still very much a daily issue. There appears to be a diurnal pattern to gut motility that also seems tied to thermoregulation. 

5. Sensory hypersensitivity has also improved. I can tolerate more smells and sounds, touch/tactile sensitivity has improved, and light sensitivity is better. 

What's still around -

The biggest challenge in withdrawal is that I have no clear windows. I am symptomatic daily, while my evenings are mostly symptom free.  Also, it is hard to measure progress as symptoms wax and wane, mostly affected by drastic weather, heat, cold and pressure changes. It appears that I can get some symptom free days, if the weather stays consistent without wide and sudden variations. For the most part, I cannot plan my day as every day brings a new set of symptoms, so I just take each day as it comes.

I appear to have some sort of autonomic dysfunction / dysautonomia that affects my thermoregulation, GI motility, respiration (vasomotor rhinitis) and leg paresthesia.

The intensity and frequency of symptoms have not gone down, but the duration and recovery times seem to have shortened.

Symptoms still present - 

Gut - stuck gas, bloat, visceral sensitivity, burping, gut noises, reflux, heartburn.

Brain - Anxiety, fight/flight reactions(has reduced), mood swings, racing thoughts, rumination, panic, hypervigilance, evening disorientation.

Head - ear, head, sinus pressure, tinnitus (reduced), involuntary air rushing through the nose while falling asleep, occasional eye, cheek twitching, 

Arms / Legs - leg paresthesia, cold/hot/dry feet and hands.

Supplements/Wellness routines - 

1. Bi-weekly acupuncture

2. Daily yoga, alternate nostril and diapghrammatic breathing.

3. Weekly PT for myofascial release and pelvic function (just started).

4. Supplements limited to Vit B12, Magnesium glycinatee, vit D3 k2. 

5. Ayurvedic protocol - Daily oil massage, indukantham gritham and kalyanakam gritham herbs for nerve, gut and immune system health.

Have you had these gastroparesis symptoms the whole 4 years?? @tsranga 

im so a scared I don’t want this for 4 years Omg 

April 2022- Only 1 celxa pill 10mg

had an adverse reaction & never took anymore again 

15 hours ago, peaceandlove said:

Have you had these gastroparesis symptoms the whole 4 years?? @tsranga 

im so a scared I don’t want this for 4 years Omg 

Yes. It has gotten better over the years but it's still there. 

I feel that there is a structural condition in my abdomen that is causing poor blood circulation, which in turn ttiggers symptoms in my gut, head and feet. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a doctor who can diagnose me with the right tests.

I just found this German doctor online who is an expert in diagnosing vascular compression syndromes. I am going to try contacting him. 

Interestingly, i am already doing what he recommends in terms of physical therapy to treat it, as these pelvic exercises help my symptoms improve.  I feel the rapid weight loss that I had post withdrawal is what aggravated my condition. I may already have preexisting mild vascular compression based on his checklist. 

Here are the articles that correlated with my symptoms - 

https://scholbach.de/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/20180324-vascular-compression-syndromes-own-website.pdf

https://scholbach.de/gefaesskompressionsphaenomene-darstellung-fuer-patientinnen-und-patienten/checkliste-gefaesskompressionssyndrome#gsc.tab=0

https://scholbach.de/pain-on-the-left-side-of-the-body#gsc.tab=0

Treatment of vascular compression - 

https://scholbach.de/behandlung-von-kompressionssyndromen#gsc.tab=0

Chronic IBS since 1990