drugged: multiple drugs

drugged

"Please leave out symptoms and diagnoses" 

I'm wondering if I could include a couple of the non-psychiatric health problems I'm struggling with because the medications for those chronic issues interact with and complicate my AD withdrawal.  Also the symptoms of those illnesses can be indistinguishable from the side effects and withdrawal symptoms of the psychiatric meds. 

I'm currently taking 11 different prescription medications.  My history is so long, 25+ years, and complicated and my memory has been so disrupted that I really can't recall when or in what order the various drugs were added though I do know that it all started with the AD.  Would it be okay if I begin by simply describing what I'm currently taking and the dosages?

1994  Venlafaxine XR 300mg, 2003 tapered, 2004 off briefly back to 37.5 then 75mg, held, June 2019 up to  150mg, Aug.12 tapered down to 112.5mgs, Oct. 21, 2019 96mg;  Dec. 8, 2019  90mg, Jan. 8 2020 81mg, Feb. 4, 75mg; April 17, 2023 37.5mg

2003/2004? Diazepam 10mg/bedtime

2013 Lyrica 300mg to 25mg; April 6, 2020 17mg; April 28, <5mg; May 7, 2020 Lyrica 0 mg!

2013 Tramadol 50mg tablets, 200mg/day divided

2005? Trazodone 50mg bedtime, Feb. 12, 2020 40mg, March 7, 25mg; Oct 1 20mg;  0mg!

2009? Zolpidem 5mg at bedtime. Nov. 9, 2019 Zolpidem 0 mg! 

1990? Omeprazole 20mg in morning.

2010? Levothyroxine 75mcg morning

2011? Liothyronine 5mcg morning

1999? Buspirone 30mg twice a day  August 2019 15mg once a day,  Oct.21, 2019 2.5mg evening  Oct. 25, 2019 Buspirone 0 mg!

On 5/21/2018 at 2:13 PM, brassmonkey said:

Things to do Along the Way

(13)

This is not an essay on how to taper, but there are some things that can be done that will improve the situation and quite possibly speed things up for some people. People reading the SurvivingAntidepresants.Org forum will be seeing references to these things every day and should be familiar with them. Communications, Support System, Coping Toolkit and Acceptance are four important keys to a successful journey

Feelings and emotions are hard to talk about at the best of times.  When our minds are fogged, and memories are shot it gets really tough.  But, talking it through or writing about it in a clear manner is very important. Otherwise no one will know what is going on, on the inside. What we are feeling, what we have been doing, how we feel, the good things that happened today are all important to document and let people know about.

It must be remembered though that long lists and descriptions of “how painful it is” and generalities of “I can’t go on like this” do not serve a useful purpose and in many cases will reinforce the negative aspects of ADWD.  By doing so a person gives power to the bad feelings and painful experiences making them even harder to survive.  Being overly optimistic however, can have the same effect.  Balance in everything is important.

Having the support of a loving family and friends will help ease the load.  This is no mean trick because of how long ADWD takes.  Many friends will drop by the wayside because of what they see as a lack of trying and progress.  This is where the communications mentioned above comes in.  Especially with a spouse or loved one.  The experience is quite frustrating for them being on the outside.  Some reassurance, an “I love you” and “thank you for all the support you’ve shown” go a long way maintaining their support. We all want to crawl under a rock and stay there until it’s all over but having friends and family around and interacting with them is a good thing.

The physical things we can do about ADWD are quite limited.  We can carefully adjust our dosage and wait it out. There are only two supplements* (see note at bottom of post) that can be of use to some people, but other than that there is nothing much else we can change.  This is where the coping toolkit comes in.  There is a myriad of things that can be done to mentally ease the symptoms, too many in fact to try and list here.  But they do make a difference and with practice can change the course of recovery for the better and provide tools for a lifetime of dealing with things.

The last of the four keys, but probably the most important thing is Acceptance.  We have found ourselves forced into a position that no one should have to go through.  Yet here we are and there’s not much we can do about it. That gives us two options, we can fight against it, scream, shout and beat our chests, or we can accept the position we are in and do what we can to make it tolerable while we work our way out of it. In short “making the best of a situation that is not our preference”.

There is one last thing that can really help and that’s a good night’s sleep. Unfortunately, this can be a big problem of many people trying to reduce their drugs. Every one of the drugs we see has the side effect and the WD symptom of insomnia. This symptom come in waves and can be very debilitating while it’s happening.  Waves, however, wash out and end at some point.  In the mean time learning and practicing good sleep hygiene is very important.  The body requires sleep to heal and we need to do everything possible to help it achieve this goal.

Not paying attention to our natural sleep patterns can cause major problems.  Staying up late using the computer to research WD can be a big factor and should be discouraged.  There are several threads on managing sleep, so I won’t go into detail here. Except to say, “turn off the computer and go to bed”.  Even if you don’t fall asleep lying there quietly will help.

ADWD causes so much stress on the body it literally tears it apart.   Adding mental stress on top of this just feeds the fires and makes things worse.  By accepting the situation, talking about it to friends and doing what we can to make ourselves comfortable we will be making a long uncomfortable journey a bit more tolerable.

The only 2 supplements which SA recommends are Magnesium and Omega-3 Fish OilA lot of people find them helpful. Try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Concerning having a support system;  I developed a chronic pain condition in 2013 and became a recluse as a result.  Today I am almost agoraphobic and have no support system other than my spouse and my cat (friends on social media too).  I started with a therapist but it doesn't look like my Medicare supplement is going to pay enough of the bill to make it affordable for me.  I am going to try a local 12 step group but other than that ...  I need to go ahead with my taper because I'm no longer tolerating the side effects of polypharmacy (my introduction is in the works) in part due to aging.  I understand that having a support system is best but I know there must be a lot of people who undertake this journey with minimal or no support.  Any tips, words of wisdom, online resources, etc., will be appreciated.

1994  Venlafaxine XR 300mg, 2003 tapered, 2004 off briefly back to 37.5 then 75mg, held, June 2019 up to  150mg, Aug.12 tapered down to 112.5mgs, Oct. 21, 2019 96mg;  Dec. 8, 2019  90mg, Jan. 8 2020 81mg, Feb. 4, 75mg; April 17, 2023 37.5mg

2013 Lyrica 300mg to 25mg; April 6, 2020 17mg; April 28, <5mg; May 7, 2020 Lyrica 0 mg!

2005? Trazodone 50mg bedtime, Feb. 12, 2020 40mg, March 7, 25mg; Oct 1 20mg;  0mg!

1999? Buspirone 30mg twice a day  August 2019 15mg once a day,  Oct.21, 2019 2.5mg evening  Oct. 25, 2019 Buspirone 0 mg!

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi drugged and welcome to SA,

We have other members here who are in a similar situation to you.

Please provide the following information so that we can try our best to assist you.  A concise list is preferable because it is easier to see the information at a glance:

• What current drugs, what dosages, and at what times of day?
  • Do you have any side effects?

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post your notes here in your Intro topic.

To start with we need 3 consecutive days.

An example of what is needed:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

Please let us know how you're doing.

Edited by ChessieCat

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

I'm 61 years old.  My introductions to psych meds was when I was 16 and hospitalized after a suicide attempt.  I got myself all meds by the time I turned 18 and refused any further pharmaceutical treatment until I was in my late 30's.  At that point I tried paxil - it stopped doing anything after 6 months, then prozac, and finally venlafaxine which I've been on ever since.  Over the years numerous other drugs were added to treat what I now realize were side effects of venlafaxine.  Add in a couple of other health issues and today I take 11 prescription drugs.  Much of the last 25 - 30 years is virtually gone from my memory so I can only put together a rough timeline of my psych med use in the last 6 months.  There are three drugs that I have already tapered down some: 

Lyrica started 2013? was up to 300mg/day, currently at 25mg/day. 

Buspirone started >20 years ago was up to 30mg twice a day, currently at 15mg evening

Venlafaxine XR started late 1990's was up to 300mg, tapered to 75mg several years ago, back up to 150mg this June, now tapered down to 112.5mgs, 75 morning, 37.5 evening

Diazepam started ? 10mg tablets currently have permission to take up to 30mg/day as needed but I almost never do that. Current range is 0-20mg.

Tramadol started 2013 50mg tablets, up to 300mg/day but current range is 200 - 250mg/day,  it has been much lower and it's been at 300mg/day at times.

Trazodone started ? 100mg tabs at bedtime, I split them and take 50mg at bedtime.

Zolpidem started ? 10mg tabs at bedtime, currently I take 5mg at bedtime.  I have gone back and forth from not needed this drug at all to taking 10mg.

Omeprazole started ~30 years ago 20mg in morning.

Hormone replacement troche compounded ~2009 - one in afternoon

Levothyroxine ~2009 75mcg morning

Liothyronine ~ 2009 5mcg morning

• Moderator Emeritus
On 8/13/2019 at 8:25 AM, ChessieCat said:

Please provide the following information so that we can try our best to assist you.  A concise list is preferable because it is easier to see the information at a glance:

• What current drugs, what dosages, and at what times of day?
  • Do you have any side effects?

Do your symptoms follow any daily pattern?  Please keep daily notes of times of day you take your drugs, their dosages, and your symptoms. You can post them in this topic with a simple list format with time of day on the left and notation (symptom, drug and dosage) on the right. Post your notes here in your Intro topic.

To start with we need 3 consecutive days.

An example of what is needed:

6 a.m. Woke with anxiety
8 a.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
10 a.m. Stomach is upset
10:30 a.m. Ate breakfast
11:35 a.m. Got a headache, lasted one hour
12:35 p.m. Ate lunch
4 p.m. Feel a bit better
5 p.m. Took 2.5mg Lexapro
6 p.m. Ate dinner
9:20 p.m. Headache
10:00 p.m. Took 50mg Seroquel
10:20 p.m. Feeling dizzy
10:30 p.m. Fell asleep
2:30 a.m. Woke, took 3mg Ambien (NOT "took 1/2 tablet Ambien")
2:45 a.m. Fell asleep
4:30 a.m. Woke but got back to sleep

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

I'm trying to think about my daily routine, to set out way markers through the day, so to speak.  For instance,  my current pattern goes like this:

~3 am - muscle pain wakes me

take 100mg tramadol and try to sleep again

~4 - 4:30 am get up and take morning meds

75mg venlafaxine

20mg omeprazole

both thyroid meds

5 -5:30 brain fog, fidgety, muscle tension in jaw and face

~6 am eat

'bad' taste in mouth, earlier symptoms continue

~11 am eat snack/lunch

~2 - 3 pm main meal and take 'evening' meds

25mg pregabalin

15mg buspirone

~3 - 5 pm lay down to read

~6 pm 

37.5mg venlafaxine

100 mg tramadol            

~8 - 9 pm bedtime meds

50mg trazodone

100mg tramadol

10mg diazepam

5mg zolpidem

Note: muscle pain waxes and wanes from day to day throughout the day, everyday, also chronic fatigue and lethargy, seem to go with the fibro

intestinal cramping after main meal almost always - IBS

Symptoms I have learned to associate with the psychotropic drugs are: worsening of eye pain due to dryness (I also have Sjogren's), bad taste in mouth assoc. with dry

mouth, nausea (fairly rare), diarrhea (rare), anxiety - this has always been a major problem with antidepressants for me, also inability to think and concentrate though the 

onset of fibro (and its treatments) has exacerbated brain fog.

This is pretty much how every single gray, unpleasant day goes at this time.  I keep myself on a rigid schedule in part to decrease stress and in part because I don't have the energy to change anything larger than the dosage of a medication.

• Moderator Emeritus

Interaction check for:

Lyrica Buspirone Venlafaxine Diazepam Tramadol Trazodone Zolpidem Omeprazole Levothyroxine Liothyronine

From https://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

Serious - Use Alternative

• trazodone + venlafaxine

trazodone and venlafaxine both increase serotonin levels. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug.

• trazodone + buspirone

trazodone and buspirone both increase serotonin levels. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug.

• venlafaxine + buspirone

venlafaxine and buspirone both increase serotonin levels. Avoid or Use Alternate Drug.

Monitor Closely

• trazodone + venlafaxine

trazodone and venlafaxine both increase QTc interval. Modify Therapy/Monitor Closely.

• trazodone + tramadol

trazodone and tramadol both increase serotonin levels. Modify Therapy/Monitor Closely.

• venlafaxine + tramadol

venlafaxine and tramadol both increase serotonin levels. Modify Therapy/Monitor Closely.

• buspirone + tramadol

buspirone and tramadol both increase serotonin levels. Modify Therapy/Monitor Closely.

• diazepam + tramadol

diazepam and tramadol both increase sedation. Use Caution/Monitor.

• diazepam + trazodone

diazepam and trazodone both increase sedation. Use Caution/Monitor.

• tramadol + trazodone

tramadol and trazodone both increase sedation. Use Caution/Monitor.

Minor

• omeprazole + diazepam

omeprazole will increase the level or effect of diazepam by affecting hepatic enzyme CYP2C19 metabolism. Minor/Significance Unknown.

• zolpidem + trazodone

zolpidem, trazodone. Either increases effects of the other by pharmacodynamic synergism. Minor/Significance Unknown. Additive CNS depression.

• zolpidem + diazepam

zolpidem, diazepam. Either increases effects of the other by pharmacodynamic synergism. Minor/Significance Unknown. Additive CNS depression.

• omeprazole + levothyroxine

omeprazole decreases levels of levothyroxine by increasing gastric pH. Applies only to oral form of both agents. Minor/Significance Unknown. Conflicting evidence regarding this interaction exists.

• omeprazole + liothyronine

omeprazole decreases levels of liothyronine by increasing gastric pH. Applies only to oral form of both agents. Minor/Significance Unknown. Conflicting evidence regarding this interaction exists.

• Moderator Emeritus

From http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html

Drug Interaction Report

This report displays the potential drug interactions for the following 10 drugs:

• Lyrica (pregabalin)
  • buspirone
  • venlafaxine
  • diazepam
  • tramadol
  • trazodone
  • zolpidem
  • omeprazole
  • levothyroxine
  • liothyronine

Major (8)
Moderate (13)
Minor (3)
Food (8)
Therapeutic Duplication (5)

Interactions between your drugs

Major

busPIRone traMADol

Applies to: buspirone, tramadol

Using narcotic pain or cough medications together with other medications that also cause central nervous system depression can lead to serious side effects including respiratory distress, coma, and even death. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. Do not drink alcohol or self-medicate with these medications without your doctor's approval, and do not exceed the doses or frequency and duration of use prescribed by your doctor. Also, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how these medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

busPIRone venlafaxine

Applies to: buspirone, venlafaxine

Using busPIRone together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

busPIRone traZODone

Applies to: buspirone, trazodone

Using busPIRone together with traZODone can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

zolpidem traMADol

Applies to: zolpidem, tramadol

Using narcotic pain or cough medications together with other medications that also cause central nervous system depression can lead to serious side effects including respiratory distress, coma, and even death. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may be able to prescribe alternatives that do not interact, or you may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring to safely use both medications. Do not drink alcohol or self-medicate with these medications without your doctor's approval, and do not exceed the doses or frequency and duration of use prescribed by your doctor. Also, you should avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how these medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

diazePAM traMADol

Applies to: diazepam, tramadol

Major

traZODone traMADol

Applies to: trazodone, tramadol

Talk to your doctor before using traMADol together with traZODone. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Using traMADol with traZODone may also increase the risk of seizures not related to the serotonin syndrome. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

venlafaxine traMADol

Applies to: venlafaxine, tramadol

Talk to your doctor before using traMADol together with venlafaxine. Combining these medications can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should contact your doctor immediately if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Using traMADol with venlafaxine may also increase the risk of seizures not related to the serotonin syndrome. The interaction may be more likely if you are elderly, undergoing alcohol or drug withdrawal, have a history of seizures, or have a condition affecting the central nervous system such as a brain tumor or head trauma. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Avoid driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Major

traZODone venlafaxine

Applies to: trazodone, venlafaxine

Using traZODone together with venlafaxine can increase the risk of a rare but serious condition called the serotonin syndrome, which may include symptoms such as confusion, hallucination, seizure, extreme changes in blood pressure, increased heart rate, fever, excessive sweating, shivering or shaking, blurred vision, muscle spasm or stiffness, tremor, incoordination, stomach cramp, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Severe cases may result in coma and even death. You should seek immediate medical attention if you experience these symptoms while taking the medications. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. Your doctor may already be aware of the risks, but has determined that this is the best course of treatment for you and has taken appropriate precautions and is monitoring you closely for any potential complications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

traZODone pregabalin

Applies to: trazodone, Lyrica (pregabalin)

Using traZODone together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

diazePAM omeprazole

Applies to: diazepam, omeprazole

Omeprazole may increase the blood levels and effects of diazePAM. This can increase the risk of side effects including excessive drowsiness and breathing difficulties. You may need a dose adjustment or more frequent monitoring by your doctor to safely use both medications. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

zolpidem venlafaxine

Applies to: zolpidem, venlafaxine

Using zolpidem together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

zolpidem pregabalin

Applies to: zolpidem, Lyrica (pregabalin)

Using zolpidem together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

venlafaxine pregabalin

Applies to: venlafaxine, Lyrica (pregabalin)

Using venlafaxine together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

traZODone zolpidem

Applies to: trazodone, zolpidem

Using traZODone together with zolpidem may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

diazePAM pregabalin

Applies to: diazepam, Lyrica (pregabalin)

Using diazePAM together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

traMADol pregabalin

Applies to: tramadol, Lyrica (pregabalin)

Using traMADol together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

diazePAM traZODone

Applies to: diazepam, trazodone

Using diazePAM together with traZODone may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

busPIRone pregabalin

Applies to: buspirone, Lyrica (pregabalin)

Using busPIRone together with pregabalin may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

busPIRone zolpidem

Applies to: buspirone, zolpidem

Using busPIRone together with zolpidem may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

diazePAM zolpidem

Applies to: diazepam, zolpidem

Using diazePAM together with zolpidem may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

diazePAM venlafaxine

Applies to: diazepam, venlafaxine

Using diazePAM together with venlafaxine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with these medications. Also avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medications affect you. Talk to your doctor if you have any questions or concerns. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Minor

traZODone liothyronine

Applies to: trazodone, liothyronine

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.

Minor

levothyroxine traZODone

Applies to: levothyroxine, trazodone

Consumer information for this minor interaction is not currently available. Some minor drug interactions may not be clinically relevant in all patients. Minor drug interactions do not usually cause harm or require a change in therapy. However, your healthcare provider can determine if adjustments to your medications are needed.

Minor

omeprazole traZODone

Applies to: omeprazole, trazodone

Drug and food interactions

Moderate

diazePAM food

Applies to: diazepam

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with diazePAM and lead to potentially dangerous side effects. Discuss the use of grapefruit products with your doctor. Do not increase or decrease the amount of grapefruit products in your diet without first talking to your doctor. Do not drink alcohol while taking diazePAM. This medication can increase the effects of alcohol. You may feel more drowsy, dizzy, or tired if you take diazePAM with alcohol. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

busPIRone food

Applies to: buspirone

You should avoid the use of alcohol while being treated with busPIRone. Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of busPIRone such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. Patients receiving busPIRone should preferably avoid the consumption of large amounts of grapefruits and grapefruit juice. If this is not possible, the busPIRone dose should be taken at least 2 hours before or 8 hours after grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Large amounts of grapefruit and grapefruit juice may cause increased levels of busPIRone in your body. This can lead to increased adverse effects such as drowsiness. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

levothyroxine food

Applies to: levothyroxine

The timing of meals relative to your levothyroxine dose can affect absorption of the medication. Therefore, levothyroxine should be taken on a consistent schedule with regard to time of day and relation to meals to avoid large fluctuations in blood levels, which may alter its effects. In addition, absorption of levothyroxine may be decreased by foods such as soybean flour, cotton seed meal, walnuts, dietary fiber, calcium, and calcium fortified juices. These foods should be avoided within several hours of dosing if possible. It is important to tell your doctor about all other medications you use, including vitamins and herbs. Do not stop using any medications without first talking to your doctor.

Moderate

traZODone food

Applies to: trazodone

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of traZODone such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with traZODone. Do not use more than the recommended dose of traZODone, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

zolpidem food

Applies to: zolpidem

You should avoid the use of alcohol while being treated with zolpidem. Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of zolpidem such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. Taking zolpidem with food may delay the onset of sleep. For faster sleep onset, zolpidem should not be taken with or immediately after a meal. This will make it easier for your body to absorb the medication. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

venlafaxine food

Applies to: venlafaxine

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of venlafaxine such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with venlafaxine. Do not use more than the recommended dose of venlafaxine, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

traMADol food

Applies to: tramadol

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of traMADol such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with traMADol. Do not use more than the recommended dose of traMADol, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Moderate

pregabalin food

Applies to: Lyrica (pregabalin)

Alcohol can increase the nervous system side effects of pregabalin such as dizziness, drowsiness, and difficulty concentrating. Some people may also experience impairment in thinking and judgment. You should avoid or limit the use of alcohol while being treated with pregabalin. Do not use more than the recommended dose of pregabalin, and avoid activities requiring mental alertness such as driving or operating hazardous machinery until you know how the medication affects you. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions or concerns.

Switch to professional interaction data

Therapeutic duplication warnings

Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes six medicines belonging to the 'Central Nervous System (CNS) Drugs' category:

• Lyrica (pregabalin)
  • buspirone
  • venlafaxine
  • diazepam
  • trazodone
  • zolpidem

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication

Psychotropic agents

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'psychotropic agents' category to be taken concurrently is usually three. Your list includes five medicines belonging to the 'psychotropic agents' category:

• buspirone
  • venlafaxine
  • diazepam
  • trazodone
  • zolpidem

Note: The benefits of taking this combination of medicines may outweigh any risks associated with therapeutic duplication. This information does not take the place of talking to your doctor. Always check with your healthcare provider to determine if any adjustments to your medications are needed.

Duplication

Antidepressants

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'antidepressants' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'antidepressants' category:

• venlafaxine
  • trazodone

Tranquilizers

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'tranquilizers' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'tranquilizers' category:

• buspirone
  • diazepam

Duplication

Thyroid hormones

Therapeutic duplication

The recommended maximum number of medicines in the 'thyroid hormones' category to be taken concurrently is usually one. Your list includes two medicines belonging to the 'thyroid hormones' category:

• levothyroxine
  • liothyronine

I was aware of all the drug interactions and the duplications.  In an earlier life I studied pharmacy and biochemistry so I've always tried to keep myself informed about any medications I'm taking.  All these drugs were prescribed by either my psychiatrist or my primary care doctor and my PC was always kept up to date on my psych meds.  Btw - I had the same two doctors for 17 years, up until about a year ago.  So yeah, I was put on all these drugs by physicians who were well aware of the potential risks.  Of course my psychiatrist added  all the psych drugs to treat side effects of the venlafaxine ...  

Anyway, where I'm at now is working on tapering the venlafaxine down and getting off it completely.  After that I'll finish with the Lyrica.  I'm not concerned about the zolpidem because I've been able to take it for a few weeks or months and then quit without problems.  Same with the diazepam.  I'm also thinking that they could be helpful as I taper the antidepressants, buspirone, and pregabalin since those have given me the worst withdrawal symptoms.  

About the tramadol, I simply don't know.  Whether I can ever get off it completely depends upon what happens with the fibromyalgia as I withdraw from all the other drugs.  Hopefully the pain and other symptoms will decrease.  

The thyroid meds are here to stay.  My doctor and I discovered that my body not only wasn't producing enough T4 but it doesn't convert the T4 into the usable hormone which is T3, at least not very efficiently.  

I was wondering if any of my information is on the forum yet for other members to comment on?  I've only seen responses from you, ChessieCat.  

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi drugged and welcome aboard,

Yes, you are now all approved, and your information is present, and on the forum.   You're doing great, getting your information sorted,  and presented here.  And ah, a cat and a husband!  That's great.  Agoraphobia is not much fun though, from my understanding.  

Good job with your notes, in your last post.  With the time on the left, and then on the right drug by name, dosage, and symptoms. 

And wowser, you are on quite the cocktail.  I do see noted fibromyalgia, CFS, IBS, and hypothyroidism noted, in your narratives, as well.  And yes, it's okay to mention those symptoms and diagnoses, here in your narratives.  Sometimes these conditions can be a result of years of these drugs, unfortunately, and/or have some similarities to the WD(withdrawal) picture or experience.  Directly or indirectly.  It's tough to know. 

And oh my 25- 30 years of this poly drugging.  Hopefully, at the least, we can help you reduce your drug burden, and potentially harmful drug interactions.  Bear with us.  Patience is required in this healing process.  And I think we can help you find more and more information, as well as support, as time goes on.  Do you have one main doctor who prescribes now?

On 8/14/2019 at 8:27 AM, drugged said:

Add in a couple of other health issues and today I take 11 prescription drugs.  Much of the last 25 - 30 years is virtually gone from my memory so I can only put together a rough timeline of my psych med use in the last 6 months.  There are three drugs that I have already tapered down some: 

Lyrica started 2013? was up to 300mg/day, currently at 25mg/day. 

Buspirone started >20 years ago was up to 30mg twice a day, currently at 15mg evening

Venlafaxine XR started late 1990's was up to 300mg, tapered to 75mg several years ago, back up to 150mg this June, now tapered down to 112.5mgs, 75 morning, 37.5 evening

Diazepam started ? 10mg tablets currently have permission to take up to 30mg/day as needed but I almost never do that. Current range is 0-20mg.

Tramadol started 2013 50mg tablets, up to 300mg/day but current range is 200 - 250mg/day,  it has been much lower and it's been at 300mg/day at times.

Trazodone started ? 100mg tabs at bedtime, I split them and take 50mg at bedtime.

Zolpidem started ? 10mg tabs at bedtime, currently I take 5mg at bedtime.  I have gone back and forth from not needed this drug at all to taking 10mg.

Omeprazole started ~30 years ago 20mg in morning.

Hormone replacement troche compounded ~2009 - one in afternoon

Levothyroxine ~2009 75mcg morning

Liothyronine ~ 2009 5mcg morning

You may be able to get the above into a signature format.  The signature part is different from the notes that you've provided one day of so far.  Signatures appear below each members posts, although they are not viewable on some cell phone devices, or when not signed in.  Just take what you've got above and try and put it in this format, in the 12 lines allowed at present.

Please put your withdrawal history in your signature

Example:

2001–2002 paroxetine 
2003  citalopram 
2004  paroxetine
2008  paroxetine slow taper down to 2016 Aug off paroxetine
2016  citalopram May 20mg  Oct slow taper down
2018  citalopram 13 Feb 4.6mg 15 Mar 4.4mg 29 Apr 4.2mg

If you edit your signature, the new one replaces any prior signature. It will appear in your signature under all your posts, even your old posts. If you want to save the information in the old signature, copy it and save it in a file on your computer or in a post in your Introductions topic.

(As of 12/31/13: Signatures are limited to 12 lines of text.)

How to add or edit your signature

1. Click on this link to open the correct page in User Settings:
    Create Your Signature in "Account Settings"
    2017-June 12 update: link works on desktop, tablet and mobile phone versions

2. Enter your signature in the space provided.
  3. When you are done, Click on the big black Save button at the bottom.

More instructions, in the link too.  Thank you. 

Keep going with the notes as well, at least on paper.  No doubt we will ask you to share those again soon.  Note the thyroid and all meds by name, as well.  This will guide us, in helping you get a plan going.  Tease out the symptoms a bit on the right, as they occur throughout the day.  Some will use a rating scale for symptoms, like a 1-10 type thing.  This will be helpful.

Again, welcome, welcome. 

This is your introduction/journal page where you have now introduced yourself to the community, you can ask questions here regarding your tapering, give updates, and just keep a record of your journey.  Give us a few, to sort your information and hopes for tapering out.  You can start to interact with other members, as well as moderators here as well.  Feel free to explore the site a bit more too, get familiar with the layout and forums.  There is a ton of good stuff here.

Love, peace, healing, and growth,

manymoretodays(mmt)

Edited by manymoretodays
elaboration, additional thoughts

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus

Awesome.  Thanks.

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

We just moved back to Iowa from Arizona but I will have just one physician here.  I have an appt. for early Sept.

Topic title:  Between a rock and a hard place

My name is Lisa aka drugged.  The side effects from my current dosage of venlafaxine are very close to intolerable but reducing the dose quickly would cause intolerable withdrawal.  When I look at a capsule of venlafaxine in my daily meds container I actually feel hatred and loathing for it.  I want to flush it down the toilet, flush all of them down the toilet, but I know from experience what would happen so I take the dose and I know that in X hours the side effects will get really ugly.  Side effects and withdrawal symptoms basically blur into a big amorphous blob of misery.  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi drugged,

Okay.  Sending all the positive intentions for that new doctor too, then.  That they work in partnership with you.  Could be good thing.

Have you noticed any changes in symptoms from the move yet.......or has much time elapsed since the move?  I don't know what exactly it is really, as far as the warmer and dryer climates go......their effect on chronic conditions.  Just guessing that it's the dryness or aridity.

I think it will help, if you can get a few more days of notes posted.  And I think you are in a HOLDING period right now?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

• Administrator
On 8/16/2019 at 6:31 AM, drugged said:

I'm trying to think about my daily routine, to set out way markers through the day, so to speak.  For instance,  my current pattern goes like this:

~3 am - muscle pain wakes me

take 100mg tramadol and try to sleep again

~4 - 4:30 am get up and take morning meds

75mg venlafaxine

20mg omeprazole

both thyroid meds

5 -5:30 brain fog, fidgety, muscle tension in jaw and face

~6 am eat

'bad' taste in mouth, earlier symptoms continue

~11 am eat snack/lunch

~2 - 3 pm main meal and take 'evening' meds

25mg pregabalin

15mg buspirone

~3 - 5 pm lay down to read

~6 pm 

37.5mg venlafaxine

100 mg tramadol            

~8 - 9 pm bedtime meds

50mg trazodone

100mg tramadol

10mg diazepam

5mg zolpidem

Note: muscle pain waxes and wanes from day to day throughout the day, everyday, also chronic fatigue and lethargy, seem to go with the fibro

intestinal cramping after main meal almost always - IBS

Symptoms I have learned to associate with the psychotropic drugs are: worsening of eye pain due to dryness (I also have Sjogren's), bad taste in mouth assoc. with dry

mouth, nausea (fairly rare), diarrhea (rare), anxiety - this has always been a major problem with antidepressants for me, also inability to think and concentrate though the 

onset of fibro (and its treatments) has exacerbated brain fog.

This is pretty much how every single gray, unpleasant day goes at this time.  I keep myself on a rigid schedule in part to decrease stress and in part because I don't have the energy to change anything larger than the dosage of a medication.

Hello, drugged. 

Well, that is quite the horrendous cocktail. And two doctors collaborated on it, disregarding interactions, hmmmm. 

Why did you decide to taper venlafaxine first? Did it make you anxious?

~8 - 9 pm bedtime meds

50mg trazodone

100mg tramadol

10mg diazepam

5mg zolpidem

Why are you taking 4 drugs for sleep? Any one of them should be sufficient.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Last night I changed my dose of zolpidem.  Yesterday afternoon and evening my pain and discomfort increased.  I followed my schedule like always but neighbors were having a loud party, I've always been extremely sensitive to noise and couldn't get to sleep  - I took mg of zolpidem and other bedtime meds as usual then an hour later at 9 pm I took the other 5mg zolpidem. Today, Sunday, August 18:

3 am woke up pain in arms, shoulders, upper back and neck

4 am 100mg tramadol 

4:30 got up and took morning meds 

75mg venlafaxine

20mg omeprazole

thyroid medications

4:30 also have nausea, headache,  severe abdominal cramping, pounding heart, some anxiety

6 am ate light breakfast

7:30 am feeling better except for headache 

8:00 am severe dry mouth and eyes, unpleasant taste in mouth, skin feels taut and dry

jaw tension, tension in face and scalp, anxiety worse

10:00 am took 5 mg diazepam, laid down with hot, damp cloth over eyes

11:00 am tension, headache, anxiety less, ate a snack

2:00 pm main meal 

3:00 pm slight headache, tension and pain in jaw and neck,  overall achy, eyes hurt from dryness, feel overheated 

4:00 pm lie down to read

5:30 pm 37.5 mg venlafaxine

7:00 pm 100 mg tramadol

8:30 pm take sleep meds

50 mg trazodone

5 mg zolpidem

5 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Hello, drugged. 

Well, that is quite the horrendous cocktail. And two doctors collaborated on it, disregarding interactions, hmmmm. 

Why did you decide to taper venlafaxine first? Did it make you anxious?

~8 - 9 pm bedtime meds

50mg trazodone

100mg tramadol

10mg diazepam

5mg zolpidem

Why are you taking 4 drugs for sleep? Any one of them should be sufficient.

My entire life, even as a child, I've struggled with insomnia off and on again.  At some point after starting the venlafaxine the insomnia became more troublesome so Initially I was prescribed diazepam to help me fall asleep but I was still waking up too early so the trazodone was added to keep me asleep.  After a year or two, I don't remember what the precipitating factor was but once again I couldn't fall asleep so the zolpidem was added.  Tramadol, strictly speaking is a pain med and it was added when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.  The two worst times of day for muscle pain for me are first thing in the morning and late afternoon/evening so that's when I tend to use the tramadol.  Note that the only one of the four that I always take is the trazodone.  The others vary from taking none at all or taking some dose of all three as I am currently.  Actually, I haven't been taking the diazepam at bedtime the last several nights.  It's intended for me to use as either a sleep aid or as a substitute for a muscle relaxant - I did NOT want to add yet another drug to the cocktail in the form of a muscle relaxant.

Actually my doctors didn't collaborate.  My psychiatrist kept adding drugs and/or changing dosages.  My PCP deferred to him on the psych drugs (big mistake) and treated me for the fibromyalgia with Lyrica and tramadol.  It was actually my experience with Lyrica that started me on the get my brain off drugs journey.  

I had tapered the Lyrica from 300mg/day to my current dose of 25mg/day over a couple of years because of the horrible side effects it had on me.  This is a truly horrible drug and it absolutely appalls me that it is being described to people (along with antidepressants) to theoretically alleviate pain.  ADs and gabapentin or pregabalin are drug combos conceived in Hell.

So I was tapering the Lyrica and holding the venlafaxine at 75mg/day when we decided to move from AZ back to IA.  The move was extremely hard on my husband, my cat (we thought we were going to lose her), and myself.  The house that we're living in now is very noisy, uncomfortable, and, for me, pretty miserable.  After we got moved in I connected up with a NP at the medical clinic nearby.  After about 6 weeks she increased my venlafaxine from 75mg/day to 150mg/day and I couldn't cope with all the side effects (I'll be connecting with a different doctor in early Sept).  Anxiety, mild akathisia, GI upset, headaches, jaw pain, dry mouth, and aggravation of my Sjogren's.  I did a fairly quick tape down to 112.5mg/day where I'm at now and the side effects are still miserable.  I will continue a moderate taper back down to 75mg then hold and let my system stabilize.  I expect that once I start to stabilize I'll be able to stop the zolpidem and decrease the tramadol and diazepam.   

At that point I will probably opt to continue with a slow taper of the venlafaxine.  I've succeeded in getting the Lyrica down to a fairly low dose so next I'd like to get the AD down as low as I can, then reevaluate.  Given my experiences with psych drugs as a teenager and my educational background in pharmacy and biochemistry, I'm pretty upset with myself for letting this happen to me.  I've always been an assertive advocate for myself in my interactions with the medical profession but 25 years ago I was going through a particularly rough spot and I trusted the doctor I had then.  We moved to AZ shortly after that and life was good for a few years and again, I trusted my psychiatrist.  

16 hours ago, manymoretodays said:

Hi drugged,

Okay.  Sending all the positive intentions for that new doctor too, then.  That they work in partnership with you.  Could be good thing.

Have you noticed any changes in symptoms from the move yet.......or has much time elapsed since the move?  I don't know what exactly it is really, as far as the warmer and dryer climates go......their effect on chronic conditions.  Just guessing that it's the dryness or aridity.

I think it will help, if you can get a few more days of notes posted.  And I think you are in a HOLDING period right now?

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

The increased humidity was definitely decreasing the eye pain.  The eye pain was the primary reason we left AZ, I have Sjogren's.  When the NP here increased my venlafaxine dose the dryness and pain increased.  

• Moderator Emeritus
19 minutes ago, drugged said:

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. 

Q:  Were you diagnosed with this after you had been taking drugs?

If yes, which drugs were you taking leading up to the diagnosis?

• Moderator Emeritus
16 minutes ago, drugged said:

I have Sjogren's

8 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

10 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

If yes, which drugs were you taking leading up to the diagnosis?

I was diagnosed with Sjogren's when I was just taking the AD but I have had problems with the tear film of my eyes since I was young.

I was on almost the full cocktail of drugs when I was diagnosed with fibro a few years ago.  I was prescribed the Lyrica and the tramadol for the fibromyalgia.  I was having horrible side effects with the Lyrica and wanted to get off it.

• Moderator Emeritus

Sjogren's fibromyalgia - these may have been side effects of the drugs.

August 19 Monday

2:30 am woke up with severe headache, GI pain and bloating, muscle pain upper body

3:15 am took 100mg tramadol and 5mg diazepam 

4:15 am got up 

75mg venlafaxine

20mg omeprazole

thyroid meds

6:00 am ate light breakfast

~7 or 8 am dry mouth, bad taste in mouth

10:00 am slight headache

11:00 light lunch headache becoming worse

25mg tramadol

2.5mg diazepam

12:00 after shower skin feel hypersensitive to lightest touch

2 x tylenol PM diphenhydramine helps skin sensitivity

~2 pm with main meal

15 mg buspirone

25 mg Lyrica

3:00 pm lie down and read

~4 pm 37.5 mg venlafaxine 

5:00 muscle pain, moderate headache pain, GI discomfort

7:00 100mg tramadol

8:00 pm 50mg trazodone, 5mg zolpidem

11:30 wake up but get back to sleep

(NOTE:  CC adding in forgotten drugs from member's follow up post) 

Sorry about omitting this 

Edited by ChessieCat
added drugs

14 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

Sjogren's fibromyalgia - these may have been side effects of the drugs.

I'm not sure about the Sjogren's given my long history of eye problems but the dryness caused by the meds definitely makes it much worse.  I have had my suspicions about the fibromyalgia.  I had been on most of this cocktail for some years when I went for my first (and last) colonoscopy.  The prep made me extremely ill, then at the time of the procedure I was given anesthesia.  Within a day or two I was experiencing intense muscle pain throughout my body.  After that I barely left my bed for two years and became very debilitated.  Previously I had been very active running, doing yoga and pilates, strength training, hiking and swimming.  Today I can't even walk a mile. 

This is really minor complaint but, with the dry mouth, I am constantly drinking water.  I drink liters of water everyday.  Of course, all that water has to go somewhere and that means running to the WC all the time.  Not an issue when I'm at home but it makes any trip of more than a half hour difficult.  OTOH I probably have some of the most well flushed kidneys in the western hemisphere.  ;)

11:30 pm Monday to 1:30 am Tuesday very restless sleep, alternate too hot and too cold, dull headache

1:30 am woke up and couldn't get back to sleep

took 5mg diazepam

4:00 am woke up

100mg tramadol

75mg venlafaxine

20mg omeprazole

thyroid meds

6:00 am breakfast feeling a bit tense and jittery, dry mouth, dry skin, dry eyes starting

11:00 am light lunch

1:15 feeling semi-human cooking a real meal!

2:00 pm main meal  can still feel a bit of headache around eyes and face 

2:30 pm afternoon meds 

15 mg buspirone

25 mg lyrica (pregabalin)

4:30 pm restless, muscle pain in upper back, arms, neck; skin hypersensitive, headache a bit worse

took 2 tylenol pm (50mg diphenhydramine)

6:00 pm 37.5 venlafaxine

7:00 100mg tramadol

8:00 pm 50mg trazodone

5mg zolpidem

9:00 pm fall asleep

Question re diphenhydramine use.  One of the side effects of my  drug 'cocktail' has been hypersensitivity of my skin.  It verges on allodynia but it's not pain per se it's extremely irritating.  Years ago when this problem first arose a doctor suggested trying Benadryl to see if that would help.  I tried diphenhydramine and it did help some.  I still use it from time to time but my 'cocktail' is more complicated now and I'm wanting to taper (eventually) off most of the psych drugs so I'd like input from admins about my use of this antihistamine.  

Topic title:  Side effects or withdrawal symptoms? Both?

Up until May of this year I had been holding steady on venlafaxine at 75mg for a  couple years while I tapered the Lyrica.  In early June I went to see a nurse practitioner here for prescription renewals in my new location.  I was experiencing anhedonia but she decided I should increase my venlafaxine from 75mg to 150mg and I complied.  2 or 3 weeks later I had anxiety, nausea, diarrhea, horrible taste in my mouth, and headache.  Memory and concentration crashed.  Since nothing else had changed I suspected the AD increase and started a rapid taper to get back to 75mg.  Since I had 75mg capsules I divided the dose morning and night and am tapering the evening dose.  I've now been at 112.5 mg late July, still experiencing symptoms, the anxiety is worse and has been joined by broken sleep.  Holding other meds except the benzo and the tramadol - they're prn.  Is there anything I can/should change to handle the symptoms while I  wait for my system to stabilize?  

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

• Moderator Emeritus

Q:  How often do you take diazepam?

Q:  How often do you take tramadol?

August 21 Wednesday

1:30 am woke up but got back to sleep

3:00 am woke up with anxiety, restlessness, rapid pulse - a mild akathisia and abdominal discomfort

10mg diazepam

5:00 got up took morning meds, anxiety less but not entirely gone, diarrhea (third day for this)

75mg venlafaxine

20mg omeprazole

thyroid meds

6:00 am ate light breakfast neck and base of skull tight and painful

8:30 am nausea, anxiety, dry mouth and eyes

8:40 50mg tramadol - forgot to take it when anxiety woke me up

9:00 am anxiety easing a bit

10:00 am no headache at all, wee bit of anxiety, appetite is back,  feel very tired (drug tired)

11:00 am snack

1:00pm abdominal bloating and pain (IBS)

~2:00 pm main meal 

25mg Lyrica

15mg buspirone

3:00 feeling pretty good, weak but good

4:30 pm took 37.5mg venlafaxine 

5:30 stiffness and pain starting in arms, shoulders and upper back, 

7:00 pm 100mg tramadol

8:00 pm 

50mg trazodone

5mg zolpidem

I take 5mg diazepam as needed, usually not more than once a day if that much.  

Currently I take 50 - 100mg tramadol upon waking and 100mg tramadol at bedtime.  Tramadol is prescribed to take as needed.

BTW - in my signature I have the diazepam dose wrong.  Instead of 10mg it should say 5mg.  The prescription is take as needed up to 3/day.

• Moderator Emeritus
30 minutes ago, drugged said:

BTW - in my signature I have the diazepam dose wrong.  Instead of 10mg it should say 5mg.  The prescription is take as needed up to 3/day.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

30 minutes ago, drugged said:

I take 5mg diazepam as needed, usually not more than once a day if that much. 

We need to know if you how often you are taking diazepam, for instance every day, alternate days, twice a week, once a week, once a fortnight.

18 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature

We need to know if you how often you are taking diazepam, for instance every day, alternate days, twice a week, once a week, once a fortnight.

The last 5 days I've taken it daily.  Once a day.

I really don't have a schedule for taking it and any day or night I can do without it I don't take it.  I apologize that that makes it more difficult.  I haven't wanted to develop a lot of tolerance for the drug so I've tried to use it only intermittently whenever possible.  Ditto for the zolpidem though I'm currently taking that every night at a reduced dose.  I know I'm on way too many drugs and I know they interact and I know they all cause dependence and ultimately withdrawal but I have been trying to minimize my use of the ones labeled "take as needed." 

The last 12 months have been extremely stressful for me and my little family.  We've moved twice, once being cross country, and not because we actually wanted to leave our home in AZ.  Trying to acclimatize to a colder, wetter climate.  Changing doctors.  Financial issues.  Then my new nurse practitioner here doubles my venlafaxine dose and that throws my entire CNS into turmoil.   

• Moderator Emeritus
23 hours ago, ChessieCat said:

23 hours ago, drugged said:

The last 5 days I've taken it daily.  Once a day.

I really don't have a schedule for taking it and any day or night I can do without it I don't take it.  I apologize that that makes it more difficult.  I haven't wanted to develop a lot of tolerance for the drug so I've tried to use it only intermittently whenever possible.  Ditto for the zolpidem though I'm currently taking that every night at a reduced dose.  I know I'm on way too many drugs and I know they interact and I know they all cause dependence and ultimately withdrawal but I have been trying to minimize my use of the ones labeled "take as needed." 

Drugged, I'm going to briefly weigh in here on your Valium and Zolpidem use. You likely are dependent at this point. Please note that it only takes 2 - 4 weeks to become dependent on a benzodiazepine and the same is true for the hypnotics such as Zolpidem.

Valium's half-life is up to 200 hours (8 days). So even with periodic use, you can easily develop a dependency. I would encourage you to find the best dose and time to take these drugs and then take them consistently - the same dose EVERY day and the same time(s) of the day EVERY day. 

Your nervous system is craving consistency so it can stabilize. The only way to do this is to keep everything the same until you establish a good baseline and a good foundation on which to start tapering. 

Please post your thoughts on this. 

On 8/19/2019 at 8:28 AM, drugged said:

I was on almost the full cocktail of drugs when I was diagnosed with fibro a few years ago. 

I'm going to add to what you and ChessieCat are discussing regarding psychiatric drugs causing fibro, which is very common. You've been on Omeprazole for many years. Please note that these kinds of stomach drugs are also implicated in these types of symptoms. These drugs block your ability to absorb key nutrients, such as vitamin B12. Please see:

Tips for tapering off stomach acid blockers or PPIs...

Please don't make any changes yet to this drug, I just wanted you to be aware, as this may also be something you'll want to taper off at some point.

If you can make these types of drug reductions, either completely or simply to get to lower doses to lower your overall drug burden, you're likely going to see your health massively improve.

Are you currently taking any supplements? If so, please list them and the doses. Also please include them in your daily drug and symptoms journal. 

Yeah, I figured I was dependent on the diazepam and the zolpidem. I'm dependent on all the drugs I'm taking.  

So here's what I'm going to do; I'm going to take the 10 mg of diazepam at bedtime and 5 mg in the morning.  Keeping everything else the same.  

Starting today I'm keeping track of times, doses, symptoms, etc., on paper and will post 3 days worth on Monday.

What can I do if I'm experiencing especially nasty pain?  I get really severe headaches sometimes and I've been taking either another 50mg tramadol during the day or trying extra-strength acetaminophen (1g)?  The acetaminophen sometimes helps with headache pain but doesn't do much for muscle pain.  Just trying to figure out how to keep the dosages of the tramadol the same everyday.

Edited by ChessieCat
removed quote

• Moderator Emeritus
Just now, drugged said:

Yeah, I figured I was dependent on the diazepam and the zolpidem. I'm dependent on all the drugs I'm taking.  

So here's what I'm going to do; I'm going to take the 10 mg of diazepam at bedtime and 5 mg in the morning.  Keeping everything else the same.  

Starting today I'm keeping track of times, doses, symptoms, etc., on paper and will post 3 days worth on Monday.

This sounds like a good plan. 

Please also do the same with the Tramadol. Even though that technically is a pain medication, please note it's also an antidepressant. Please see:

Tips for tapering off Tramadol

So please be very consistent with the timing and the dose of this drug, as well. 

3 minutes ago, drugged said:

What can I do if I'm experiencing especially nasty pain?  I get really severe headaches sometimes and I've been taking either another 50mg tramadol during the day or trying extra-strength acetaminophen (1g)?  The acetaminophen sometimes helps with headache pain but doesn't do much for muscle pain.  Just trying to figure out how to keep the dosages of the tramadol the same everyday.

As you become more consistent with your drugs, you may see a decrease in pain levels as your nervous system starts to stabilize. Until then, please check out some of the no-drug coping techniques for pain management during withdrawal:

Non-drug techniques for dealing with body pain

As listed in that link, the "legs up the wall" yoga pose is a great pose that's very easy to do and very restorative. Here's a video of how it goes:

Legs Up The Wall - Foundations of Yoga video (7 minutes)

If this is helpful, you may find other restorative and / or trauma-sensitive yoga videos that are helpful for pain and soothing to the nervous system. 

For more, please see:

Beyond Meds - Yoga archives

25 minutes ago, Shep said:

Are you currently taking any supplements? If so, please list them and the doses. Also please include them in your daily drug and symptoms journal. 

This is important. Please let us know of any supplements so we can check with interactions with your drugs. 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements, as many members report their nervous systems are simply too fragile to handle them. However, magnesium and fish oil tend to be calming to the nervous system and many people report they do help. Please only add in one supplement at a time and at a small dose. For more, please see:

King of supplements: Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil)

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker

If you're not sensitive to magnesium, you may want to take epsom salt baths to help with muscle pain and headaches.