Usha: dreaming whole night

I have been suffering from this unique sleeping disorder. I dream whole night continuously and wakeup exhausted every morning.  Most of the people think it's any kind of psychological disorder even doctors just prescribe antidepressants and sleeping pills. Familly members are supportive but they could only give advice like wake early, do exercise. I nearly browsed the whole internet to get an ultimate cure for this problem but got nothing except "the change your routine"advice. There are many old forums where people discussed the similar problem but now they are closed without any conclusion.  I have this problem from 2013 when I was searching a job During that time I felt some anxiety so went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed me 1.Clozapam 2. Paxip Cr/Citalopram. after some days i stopped it abrupty and from that day i didnot sleep a dreamless night. 

Edited by Gridley

March 2013 -April 2013 citalopram 5 mg/Clonazepam 0.5 mg/ Beta blockers

April 2013- June 2013 I was not taking any meds, feeling worst

June 2013 -Dec 2013 Fluxetine 20 mg

Dec 2013 Feb 2014 i was not taking meds

Feb 2014 - Jan 2016 - on and off the paroxitine 12.5 as I was not aware these were harmful drugs

As I left the drugs 3 year back so I don't remeber the exact date but tried to recall it as a best match

Jan2016- till now not taking any drugs

Syntoms- Quality sleep, brain feel tired but improving If I compare from past years

Any one who has a success story and can help me. Please help
I have been suffering from this unique sleeping disorder. I dream whole night continuously and wakeup exhausted every morning.  Most of the people think it's any kind of psychological disorder even doctors just prescribe antidepressants and sleeping pills. Familly members are supportive but they could only give advice like wake early, do exercise. I nearly browsed the whole internet to get an ultimate cure for this problem but got nothing except "the change your routine"advice. There are many old forums where people discussed the similar problem but now they are closed without any conclusion.  I have this problem from 2014 when I was searching a job During that time I felt some anxiety so went to a psychiatrist and he prescribed me 1.Clozapam 2. Paxip Cr/Citalopram. after some days i stopped it abrupty and from that day i didnot sleep a dreamless night. I am not taking any meds from last 3 years.

Feb 2014 - Jan 2016 - on and off the paroxitine 12.5 as I was not aware these were harmful drugs

As I left the drugs 3 year back so I don't remeber the exact date but tried to recall it as a best match

Syntoms- Quality sleep, brain feel tired but improving If I compare from past years

• Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Usha.

The only explanation I can offer is that you had an adverse reaction to one or both of the drugs, meaning they were like poison to you.  If this is what happened, your body tried to reject the drug(s) and in so doing threw your central nervous system into chaos.  I see from your post to Erell that you're doing much better, and I'm happy that you are improving.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of May 2: 6.1mg

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Administrator

Hello, Usha. What is your sleep schedule?

What happened after you took Clozapam and Paxip Cr/Citalopram for some days? Were you taking paroxetine or citalopram, or both? At what dosages?

How has your symptom pattern changed over the last 6 months?

To help us out, follow these instructions Please put your drug and withdrawal history in your signature You may need to use a computer to do this.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

@AltostrataThanks for posting my story.

Sorry for replying late.  Initially in 2013 I took citalopram 5 mg and 0.5 Lonazep and only continued nearly for month. I was not aware that these medicines should be tappered slowly. After one month I thought I m getting worst than I consulted another psycatrist. He presrribed me prozac for nearly 6 months den also I dint feel any difference than I took another consultation of another psycatrist and he prescribed me pexep cr 12.5 . Only because of bad sleep I took the AD meds and only pexep cr 12.5 helped me for that but then suddenly one endocrinologist told me that these drugs are too dangerous as I m only 29 so I have CTed them. So overall I took AD for 3 years on and off. I left all the meds in 2016. Yes I m improving in all the symtoms feeling positive And energetic but I m more concerned about my sleep. I face hypnogogic hallucinations/ imaginations in the night when i drift off to sleep and Also every time i wake up in the middle i feel my subconscious mind gets active whole night. Sometimes I think I nevwr go into deep sleep.My tiredness and brain fog has been improved from past but I m fed up with my sleep.I miss the old me.nowadays I am taking multivitamin, ashwagandha , doing exercise, mindfullness meditation and aerobic exercises.

@Altostrata my sleep schedule is I sleep at 12am and wakes up at 7 am but wakes up in the middle for washroom. And everytime i found some imaginations / conversations gng on in my mind. My qusn is does sleep destroyed by AD withdrawals corrected by its own or shud i say does brain heal by its own. I was a very sound sleeper and It aches my heart how these AD made my sleep worst.

@Gridley I dint find any benefit in Fish oil. i found my heart beating faster by taking fish oil. For magnesium I take Epsom salt bath. I use to sleep for 7 hours daily but i feel like my mind never goes into deep sleep. Are you familiar with hypnogogic hallucinations .how these can be resolved???

• Moderator Emeritus
3 hours ago, Usha said:

@Gridley I dint find any benefit in Fish oil. i found my heart beating faster by taking fish oil. For magnesium I take Epsom salt bath. I use to sleep for 7 hours daily but i feel like my mind never goes into deep sleep. Are you familiar with hypnogogic hallucinations .how these can be resolved???

I wouldn't take any more fish oil.  Sleep disruptions are a very common symptom of withdrawal.   

Here's a link on hypnagogic hallucinations.

Nightmare / dream while awake? Sleep paralysis, hypnogogic ...

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotic, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thanks @Gridley how can hypnogogic hallucinations resolve after AD withdrawals??? Its already been 3 years.

• Moderator Emeritus
18 minutes ago, Usha said:

Its already been 3 years.

We have found that withdrawal symptoms resolve with time.  It's impossible to predict how much time.  Unfortunately, in prolonged withdrawal it's not unusual for symptoms to persist for 3 years.  

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 92% complete.  

Thanks @Gridley

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Usha said:

Yes I m improving in all the symtoms feeling positive And energetic but I m more concerned about my sleep. I face hypnogogic hallucinations/ imaginations in the night when i drift off to sleep and Also every time i wake up in the middle i feel my subconscious mind gets active whole night.

Your sleep pattern is pretty good for post-acute withdrawal syndrome. Perhaps if you stopped worrying about the quality of your sleep, it would get better?

Here are some suggestions:

Tips to help sleep -- so many of us have that awful withdrawal insomnia

Path to Better Sleep FREE online for everyone from the US Veterans Administration

Music for self-care: Calms hyperalertness, anxiety, aids relaxation and sleep

What is the sleep cycle?

Melatonin for sleep: Many people find it helpful

TV or computer use in evening can disrupt sleep: Bright light signals the brain that it's daytime

Nightmare While Awake? Sleep Paralysis, Hypnogogic Hallucinations, etc.

As you've seen improvement, you can continue to expect improvement, if you take care of your nervous system and don't do anything to upset it, such as drink alcohol, take drugs, or stay up too late.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see
https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/
https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you.

Please help us understand your drug history by using the pharmaceutical names for the drugs, such as paroxetine, citalopram, clonazepam. We don't recognize those drug brand names, they're probably used only in India.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

@Altostrata Thanks for suggestions. My qusn is does hypnogogic hallucinations cure by its own and in expected how much time and does these hallucinations disrupt the quality sleep? 

• Administrator

Have you always had hypnogogic hallucinations? If yes, you probably will continue to have them. If no, they probably will go away.

Do you feel your sleep is good or poor?

@Altostrata always had u mean since birth??? No i started feeling hypnogogic hallucinations only after AD withdrawals . Yes, My sleep is improving but facing hypnogogic hallucinations.

@Altostrata my sleep is poor. I feel I am.not getting deep sleep.

• Administrator

You can expect to see slow improvement. Have you found any of the suggestions in the links helpful?

@Altostrata By the link I got to know about Epsom salt which I tried but I only soaked my feet, I am yet to take a full body bath in Epsom salt . Except that, I m taking multivitamins also. I also saw gycine is helpful. Have you tried it helpful?? Also did u face hypnogogic hallucinations post AD withdrawal. And If yes, den in how much time it resolved in ur case. Again Thanks for advance. This group is very helpful.🙂

• Administrator

I did not have hypnogogic hallucinations. Please read and participate in Nightmare While Awake? Sleep Paralysis, Hypnogogic Hallucinations, etc.

On 29 May 2020 at 3:34 PM, Usha said:

@Altostrata my sleep schedule is I sleep at 12am and wakes up at 7 am but wakes up in the middle for washroom. And everytime i found some imaginations / conversations gng on in my mind. My qusn is does sleep destroyed by AD withdrawals corrected by its own or shud i say does brain heal by its own. I was a very sound sleeper and It aches my heart how these AD made my sleep worst.

Same to me.

Even today.

My guess is , the first cold turkey of our ignorance did the damage to our sleep pattern and REM sleep.

Later , no matter you did several cold turkeys, no matter i was introduced to only one drug and tapered very keenly, we both are at same state , at the sleep.

I felt I became better, but today I realised , I am not.

As soon as , i have used any random medicine like paracitamol for low back pain, my state of brain , became , like , right at the fresh cold turkey month.

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Withdrawal symptoms settled at dreamful,disturbing sleep.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

Tapering olanzapine 10 m.g from February 2017.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

Almost no symptoms and sleep is better,So started 0.5 ml from 17-12-2018.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

@rupa Hi Rupa.

So still you feel like your mind is not sleeping in the night. Do you feel refresh in the morning. For me My sleeping hours are pretty good but what I am lacking it in the quality sleep. I just want to be back with my previous sleep. I used to sleep like a dead . I miss those days .

@Rupa Do you feel symtoms after taking any pill or daily??

7 hours ago, Usha said:

@rupa Hi Rupa.

So still you feel like your mind is not sleeping in the night. Do you feel refresh in the morning. For me My sleeping hours are pretty good but what I am lacking it in the quality sleep. I just want to be back with my previous sleep. I used to sleep like a dead . I miss those days .

Usha, 

All those 3 years , I felt like I was missing my before meds sleep.

And I was worried and desperate to get my previous condition.

As time goes by, from the begining of 2020 , I realised, cure is possible.

In this year, my sleep quality is like before meds. 

Being a foody, I am a person of tight sleep.

Today again I am feeling like , I am cured.

By taking 15 days and stopping the Pain killer which contains simple paracetamol only disturbed my sleep two days and made me fear of last 3 years.

Thankfully , that is only a mere fear.

Cure is possible with time.

Cold turkeyed risperidone (1m.g)and trihexyphenidyl combination drug out of ignorance,In August 2016 after one month use.

Thus introduced to olanzapine for sleep.Started using olanzapine out of ignorance.

May 2018 :Still suffering dreams,Still tapering olanzapine at 0.625.100ml water+2.5 mg olanzapine. June 2018 22.5ml=0.57mg.July 2018 20ml,August 2018-17.5ml,September 2018-15ml,October 2018 10 ml,December 2018 7 ml, BrassMonkey slide method so far at lower doses.2 nd December cold turkeyed , only to reach minure doses as reinstatement to cutshort endless tapering process.4rth December started 1ml.

"0"from31-12-18.Re birth happened from 10- 2020,as rejuvenation took whole2019.Completely recovered now.

7 hours ago, Usha said:

@Rupa Do you feel symtoms after taking any pill or daily??

No symptoms while using pain killer.

No symptoms from the begining of 2020.

In this year only two days after stoping pain killer, felt symptoms and later subsided and became normal.

Are you south Indian?

What are your food habits?

Did you try taking buttermilk, i.e curds with lot of water?at bed time?

Did you try warm milk with turmeric at bed time?

To take both of these alternate day, you should complete your dinner by 6 pm.

Try taking ladies finger curry often.

@rupa happy for you Rupa. Any advice fr me?

On 29 May 2020 at 3:26 PM, Usha said:

@AltostrataThanks for posting my story.

Sorry for replying late.  Initially in 2013 I took citalopram 5 mg and 0.5 Lonazep and only continued nearly for month. I was not aware that these medicines should be tappered slowly. After one month I thought I m getting worst than I consulted another psycatrist. He presrribed me prozac for nearly 6 months den also I dint feel any difference than I took another consultation of another psycatrist and he prescribed me pexep cr 12.5 . Only because of bad sleep I took the AD meds and only pexep cr 12.5 helped me for that but then suddenly one endocrinologist told me that these drugs are too dangerous as I m only 29 so I have CTed them. So overall I took AD for 3 years on and off. I left all the meds in 2016. Yes I m improving in all the symtoms feeling positive And energetic but I m more concerned about my sleep. I face hypnogogic hallucinations/ imaginations in the night when i drift off to sleep and Also every time i wake up in the middle i feel my subconscious mind gets active whole night. Sometimes I think I nevwr go into deep sleep.My tiredness and brain fog has been improved from past but I m fed up with my sleep.I miss the old me.nowadays I am taking multivitamin, ashwagandha , doing exercise, mindfullness meditation and aerobic exercises.

5 minutes ago, Usha said:

@rupa happy for you Rupa. Any advice fr me?

Please read about Ashwagandha intake here in our site.

I believe in more intake of fruit, veg, curds , Cow milk with turmeric, our south indian spices which induce sleep like biryani ingrediants,rice of your taste,etc.

Post 3 yrs AD withdrawals , I feel mentally exhausted all the time, though sometimes i feel I improved a lot from past years but my main problem is only dreams/ thought stage at early morning . my work productivity has drastically effected .it's because of rem sleep disruption because of AD withdrawals. Any advice. Though I have read every link related to sleep in this forum.

@Altostrata @Gridley @bhasski @rupa

@Usha

Hi, I am sorry but I am in no state of helping anyone.

I am too tired of wrecked sleep. I cannot sleep  full night. It has caused so many other residual symptoms like fatigue, inability to talk..  unable to sit for long. 

I apply for jobs, then regret because I don't feel 1% doing anything.

Hope you get relief.  I know this sleep can take a toll on emotions and health.

08/13 - 01/14
Olanzapine, petril MD (Clonazepam ), Dicorate ER (divalproex). Soza 10 (Zolpidem)

02/14 - 05/14
Flunil ​20mg , Divaa OD 250 mg(divalproex), Amisulpride 50mg (1-0-2), zolfresh 5 mg , Quetiapine
05/14 - 08/14 Venlafaxine 75 xr ( 1-0-1), zapiz 0.25
10/14 Zaptra 12.5mg , Oxetol xr 150mg (0-0-1)
11/14 - 08/15
Paris CR 25 (paroxetine) , Oxetol xr 600 mg (0-0-1), nitrest 5mg , Quetiapine for a month.
09/15-11 Venlafaxine XR 75 ( 1-0-1), Mirtazipine 15, Respiredal 0.5, Lamitor 25, zillion 10.
12/15-02/16 Off Meds (C.T)

03/16-Mid April Sertraline, Aripropazole, Quetiapine, Etizolam.

After that : CT and on OTC supplements (Roadback), now on Ayurveda

@Altostrata I also had my pelvic ultrasound done and in that came cervicitis( infection in cervix). I m scared whether AD withdrawals caused this and doc prescribed me tablet YAZ and this tab has so many side effects . I am afraid now what shud I do. In this forum too I found so many results from tablet yaz . Any suggestions?

• Administrator

A pelvic infection is not related to antidepressant withdrawal. Talk to your doctor about treatment of this infection. I cannot see how a birth control pill would treat an infection.

Read up on the adverse effects of any drug you might take. If you don't want to take this birth control pill, don't take it.

We do not provide general medicine or gynecological advice here, sorry.

Thanks @Altostrata I knw this is AD withdrawal forum. But in one link(attached screenshot) I found that antidepressant cause higher prolactin levels which cause pelvic infection. That's why i posted here and wanted to check anyone felt the same or not . 

inbound3702444362680840626.png

@Altostrata low dose of contraceptive can regulate hormonal disbalance which further corrects the infection

• Administrator

We don't do gynecology here.

Got it. Thanks. I knw but this symtom is because of AD withdrawals den only posted. Anyways thanks

On 11 June 2020 at 7:05 PM, Usha said:

@Altostrata I also had my pelvic ultrasound done and in that came cervicitis( infection in cervix). I m scared whether AD withdrawals caused this and doc prescribed me tablet YAZ and this tab has so many side effects . I am afraid now what shud I do. In this forum too I found so many results from tablet yaz . Any suggestions?

Usha , dear 

Try natural remedies ma

cumin seeds, coriander seeds, turmeric mix with butterless butter milk often, replacing water can cure pelvic problems ma.

On 11 June 2020 at 9:16 AM, Usha said:

Post 3 yrs AD withdrawals , I feel mentally exhausted all the time, though sometimes i feel I improved a lot from past years but my main problem is only dreams/ thought stage at early morning . my work productivity has drastically effected .it's because of rem sleep disruption because of AD withdrawals. Any advice. Though I have read every link related to sleep in this forum.

@Altostrata @Gridley @bhasski @rupa

In this week, I still got less quality of sleep and dream filled sleep,I remember , last week I felt alright.

Ohhh dear. Take care. I sometimes wonder how these psycatrist are less knowledgeable. Either they shud not prescribe meds or tell someone to stop it abruptly. I think in the fst palce they shud not prescribe meds because after AD withdrawals condition become much more worst that was not before taking meds.3 years and counting and still.not sleeping like before meds.