00ColdTurkey: sertraline messed my head up?

00ColdTurkey

This is not medical advice and only my experience, please be careful when using any supplements, even those that are harmless may or may not scramble your already delicate nervous system. 

I got a 300mg capsule of pure L-Theanine, no added ingredients. I emptied most of it, only leaving 5%. 

It's now allowed me to eat food without gagging and slowed down my sped up heart rate. Unlike CBD, this has not cancelled out but improved things slightly. 

A miracle! I can now eat! (Even if it's only for tonight and wears off eventually). 

Riseridone (dose unknown) 2010 (no approximate end, short-term use), Aspergers. Tapered. Fluxoetine 10mg 13/14. Direct switch to -- Citalopram 2014/14. Quetiapine 2014/14. 1 week. (Cold turkey, advised by NHS). 

Risperidone, 20th March 2016, cold turkey April 10th, 2016 Zoloft, April, 2016, 25mg, increased to 50mg in May, increased to 100mg in late 2016, decreased to 50mg, September 2019(Accidentally)weaned myself off. Reinstated Zoloft 50mg for 3 days - March 23rd to 26th. Early 2021 (changed brand of Zoloft. Tapered down. Med free since 11th February. Waiting to see if any windows happen). Supplements (occasionally l theanine 300mg, trialing CBD) Took a small light dab of powder, barely a compound. Deciding to wait and see what happens afterwards, not wanting to reinstate now. 

Took a small dose of L-Theanine (under 20mg). Negative reaction included: sweating, mania, head pressure, head tingling, worse insomnia. Not touching anything ever again. 

Anhedonic since March 2020!

Using a THC free edible on the 5th June ruined everything. Insomnia, no appetite, numbness, DP/DR.

• Administrator
18 hours ago, 00ColdTurkey said:

I think my sleep ranges from 1 - 3 hours at a time.

This is not unusual for protracted withdrawal. Suggest you turn all lights out at nightfall and wind down with meditation before bedtime at a regular hour. Improvement will be gradual; it's been only 6 days since your mishap with the edible.

Many people find fish oil and magnesium supplements helpful, see

https://survivingantidepressants.org/index.php?/topic/36-king-of-supplements-omega-3-fatty-acids-fish-oil/

https://survivingantidepressants.org/topic/15483-magnesium-natures-calcium-channel-blocker/

You might try a little bit of one at a time to see how it affects you. Please let us know how you’re doing.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

All postings © copyrighted.

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm going to find some high quality fish oil. 

You know, since eating that... urgh... cookie (I'm really starting to dislike cookies, even chocolate chip ones). I've noticed some things. 

Going to use bullet points as I can be a mess with my words. 

1. The edible made me extremely dissociated. It zapped away the feelings of anxiety and depression. It might've numbed my happiness too. 

2. The first few days I've been really energetic. Nonstop thinking and talking. This could have been mania. At night couldn't feel any sleepiness. I regain some sensation of happiness. 

3. After this the mania died off, I think the dissociation isn't as heavy as it was on Friday. One weird thing I noticed, is that on Thursday I went outside to do a task, for a while the dissociation wasn't as strong. 

The anxiety crept back, and I felt some anger too. 

4. I think Thursday night I began to feel the tiniest bit of tiredness. Not enough to change the insomnia, the broken sleep, the unawareness over if I've slept or not. But just in the background. 

5. Friday morning something weird happened. I woke up and felt this extreme exhaustion take over me, the room was static, my eyes felt heavy and I just wanted to go back to being unconscious. My body was heavy too, I might've been somewhat sleep paralysed. 

6. Saturday night, took that L-Theanine and felt calmness. It was only a small bit of the capsule though. I fell asleep for an entire 8 hours. 

Looking back on the above, it's all a mess still, even in bullet points. 

I just can't tell if I'm having any small windows. I felt anger on Thursday, I haven't been able to feel it since, but it was there. 

Right now I'm capable of feeling some happiness and motivation, but it's only small. I don't know if it's still the L-Theanine or not. Although it's now 1:30pm. 

I am so hoping that I recover without needing to go back on Sertraline... 

Riseridone (dose unknown) 2010 (no approximate end, short-term use), Aspergers. Tapered. Fluxoetine 10mg 13/14. Direct switch to -- Citalopram 2014/14. Quetiapine 2014/14. 1 week. (Cold turkey, advised by NHS). 

Risperidone, 20th March 2016, cold turkey April 10th, 2016 Zoloft, April, 2016, 25mg, increased to 50mg in May, increased to 100mg in late 2016, decreased to 50mg, September 2019(Accidentally)weaned myself off. Reinstated Zoloft 50mg for 3 days - March 23rd to 26th. Early 2021 (changed brand of Zoloft. Tapered down. Med free since 11th February. Waiting to see if any windows happen). Supplements (occasionally l theanine 300mg, trialing CBD) Took a small light dab of powder, barely a compound. Deciding to wait and see what happens afterwards, not wanting to reinstate now. 

Took a small dose of L-Theanine (under 20mg). Negative reaction included: sweating, mania, head pressure, head tingling, worse insomnia. Not touching anything ever again. 

Using a THC free edible on the 5th June ruined everything. Insomnia, no appetite, numbness, DP/DR.

• Administrator

1. Don't consume edibles.

2. Recovery from a drug-induced mishap is gradual and takes time -- weeks rather than days.

3. Most likely, your symptoms will change and fade.

This is not medical advice. Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical practitioner.

"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has surpassed our humanity." -- Albert Einstein

13 hours ago, Altostrata said:

2. Recovery from a drug-induced mishap is gradual and takes time -- weeks rather than days.

I will never consume edibles ever again. 

However I made a mistake and didn't read this post soon enough... 

Do you know if putting your finger in some Sertraline powder and tasting it is enough to have made any effect? 

I'm going to increase to 0.5mg or 1mg tomorrow. But my dumb, worried self just wants to know if the Sertraline is now in my system from such a miniscule amount. 

Thanks for all the advice you've given me over the past days. It means a lot ❤️

Oh shoot, I might've messed up. I don't know if reinstating was the right idea. What if I would've been better by now?! Would going CT on such a tiny speck of powder screw me over!? AAAAAAARGH!!!

I just wanted to eat and sleep, and make time go faster... 😭😭

16 minutes ago, 00ColdTurkey said:

Oh shoot, I might've messed up. I don't know if reinstating was the right idea. What if I would've been better by now?! Would going CT on such a tiny speck of powder screw me over!? AAAAAAARGH!!!

I don't think it is a CT if you just tested out one tiny dose and stopped. A sensitized nervous system will overreact to psych meds pretty harshly. After a few half lives it should be out of your system. You are not back to square one, so try not to work yourself up too much. 

Sleep will improve in time, just try not to experiment with too many things at once or without doing your research on their methods of action. I will be following in your footsteps off sertraline, hopefully by next year. I am having sleep issues as well. It is very rough to function. Time and patience are the only metaphorical pills that will see us through this.

2008: March, Klonopin .5 mg to 1 mg

2009: Dec, CT Klonopin

2010: full year heavy alcohol use

2011: Jan - withdrawals start

2012: Apr- bad wave, start zoloft 50

2014 to 2020: Switch ADs

Sertraline 100mgs >Lexapro 20 mgs>Prozac 20 mgs >Lexapro 20

2021: Sertraline 25 mgs

2022: Mar. Cut dose down to 12.5

End of May, starting to crash physically/mentally.

@KaervinI just wish someone told me how long I should wait for sooner... the advice that was given this morning, I spent 3 days asking elsewhere... nobody answered it... I wish I knew it was possible to wait a few weeks... I'm so tired of being emotionally numb. I was healing before I ate the edible. I was becoming alive. Could do everything again, pursued therapy. Now I'm scared of having worsened any effects... 

I just wish I knew waiting a few weeks was better... I just wish someone told me... 

4 minutes ago, 00ColdTurkey said:

@KaervinI just wish someone told me how long I should wait for sooner... the advice that was given this morning, I spent 3 days asking elsewhere... nobody answered it... I wish I knew it was possible to wait a few weeks... I'm so tired of being emotionally numb. I was healing before I ate the edible. I was becoming alive. Could do everything again, pursued therapy. Now I'm scared of having worsened any effects... 

I just wish I knew waiting a few weeks was better... I just wish someone told me... 

Sadly when you try to improve your situation by experimenting with different things many others may not know what to tell you to expect. In fact, if you did get a reply right away it could have been from a member telling you that they had no ill effects at all from edibles and you would have still went through with it. 

Since we are all biologically human there are many constants and similarities in regards to withdrawal. However, since we are also all so different in terms of genetics and tolerances, no two experiences will ever be exactly alike. What's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander.

I tried an edible several years back. And I only nibbled a little piece and I just felt very off with high anxiety and dr/dp. It went away after a week. And this was when I wasn't even in withdrawal.

You will get back to baseline. Don't stress yourself out too much. Worrying will provide no benefit and only exacerbate your symptoms further. Try to accept the state you are in at the moment and distract yourself the best you can. Things will improve.

59 minutes ago, Kaervin said:

Sadly when you try to improve your situation by experimenting with different things many others may not know what to tell you to expect. In fact, if you did get a reply right away it could have been from a member telling you that they had no ill effects at all from edibles and you would have still went through with it. 

Since we are all biologically human there are many constants and similarities in regards to withdrawal. However, since we are also all so different in terms of genetics and tolerances, no two experiences will ever be exactly alike. What's good for the goose isn't necessarily good for the gander.

I tried an edible several years back. And I only nibbled a little piece and I just felt very off with high anxiety and dr/dp. It went away after a week. And this was when I wasn't even in withdrawal.

You will get back to baseline. Don't stress yourself out too much. Worrying will provide no benefit and only exacerbate your symptoms further. Try to accept the state you are in at the moment and distract yourself the best you can. Things will improve.

You might have misunderstood me on the first part. Sorry. I took an edible and have been struggling with DR/DP for slightly over a week. I mistakenly wondered if it was withdrawal. I tried asking how long I should wait until the effects of the edible went away, as it has been slightly over a week... 

Nobody answered my question. I panicked, thought it was withdrawal and reinstated. Now I'm more numb... 

If only I saw that comment the mod made earlier about the edible resolving itself soon, I wouldn't have taken that bit of Sertraline... 

I asked others in this group if they knew how long I should wait for. Nobody answered. 

I guess my only choice is to continue reinstating... despite how numb I am now... and try tapering off again in a few months time... 

21 hours ago, Altostrata said:

Sorry for the quote, I can't remove it from my comment. But on the bright side, I do have one question. Any estimate on how long the half-life for under 1mg of Sertraline is? Or would it have barely taken any effect?

I know my comment above sounds frustrated. But do not worry, it's mainly about trying to find answers from other groups. You're the only one who gave me some semblance of an answer to the CBD edible question. Which I immensely appreciate :)

I took a tiny bit of powder early. Exactly like putting your finger tip in some dust, it's fine, not clumped or much. 

Just hoping it wouldn't have done much to me. Or end up with cold turkey withdrawal stuff going on... 

@00ColdTurkey

Hi there, 

Just to let you know that the moderator staff are all unpaid volunteers who are themselves currently tapering off of psych drugs or have done so in the past. They are quite busy with full lives beyond SA, jobs and families and such. The volunteers help out here when they can and are very generous with their time and expertise, but it's not a 24/7 on-demand service. 

If/when you have a question, I suggest you practice patience waiting for an answer. 

This is not a rebuke, I'm just mentioning this to provide some practical background info on how SA works and what to expect moving forward. 

Hang in there <3

In solidarity and support,

A.

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

@Ariel I understand this... I really don't mind if a moderator takes a couple of days to answer. When I created that comment, I couldn't get rid of the quote, so eventually thought "why not? I'll just add this as a question and wait"... 

I just wanted to make sure the question was sent in the end. That's all. 

• Administrator
13 hours ago, 00ColdTurkey said:

Do you know if putting your finger in some Sertraline powder and tasting it is enough to have made any effect? 

Only you can tell if it has an effect. Some small amount of sertraline does get into you, but you might not feel it at all.

A week of feeling odd from a drug mishap is not unusual. As explained before, this probably would fade. Please consider whether you are over-reacting. You might be fine with self-soothing techniques and waiting out your recovery.

I blindly followed my boyfriend's advice again... 

For the last 7 days while dealing with side effects from CBD, what helped me the most was taking a tiny amount of L-Theanine at night... 

It helped me feel calm and drift off quickly. 

So I tried it again last night and it's completely worsened things. I didn't know L-Theanine had serotonin in... but after that tiny bit got into my system, I'm now more numb, can't laugh anymore, anxiety is worse. I'm laying in bed staring up at the ceiling doing nothing. 

I can't tell if I need to reinstate now or if I should try waiting this out... 

I don't feel okay... 

Oh God...

It's been less than 24 hours but I'm concerned that the L-Theanine has added up with that barely anything amount of Sertraline to make it a higher dose. 

And that it's in my system stronger. 

This withdrawal isn't as bad as CT withdrawal from 2020. But my cognition is poor and I'm barely doing anything... 

I keep wondering if I should go back on the medication, reinstate, and taper off. It seemed to bring my emotions back last time. 

But then again, what if waiting brings me back? There's no clear path and it scares me... 

PS: I'm not rushing anyone for advice! People are free to answer in their own time, no problemo :) 

2 hours ago, 00ColdTurkey said:

This withdrawal isn't as bad as CT withdrawal from 2020. But my cognition is poor and I'm barely doing anything... 

I keep wondering if I should go back on the medication, reinstate, and taper off. It seemed to bring my emotions back last time. 

But then again, what if waiting brings me back? There's no clear path and it scares me... 

You reinstated before and got very little relief and bad side effects if I am reading your history right?

At 5 months out it is a very risky proposition to reinstate. No one here can say for sure if that would help you, but we can say based other the cumulative experiences posted here that it could make things worse for you. 

You said this withdrawal isn't as bad as your 2020 withdrawal. I would try to find some more positive ways to look at your current situation. It is uncomfortable and scary, I know. If you overreact that will lead you to making hasty decisions that you may regret later, like when you tried edibles, various supplements, and even a bit of sertraline.

Besides poor cognition and anxiety, what other issues are you currently dealing with right now? You said you don't do anything. I would try to change that. If feeling anxious, go for a walk. If stuck in your own thoughts try watching comedies on TV or your phone. Your brain will heal itself with time. You just gotta find ways to distract yourself from your symptoms as time passes.

• Administrator

It seems you feel anxious after every experiment you undertake with a supplement, edible, or other. Self-soothing techniques will help you surf the waves of withdrawal syndrome, as symptoms will constantly surge and change.

You might also stop experimenting with supplement, edible, or other. If a little theanine is helpful, don't overdo it.

Other than withdrawal insomnia, what are your most troublesome symptoms?

9 hours ago, Altostrata said:

It seems you feel anxious after every experiment you undertake with a supplement, edible, or other. Self-soothing techniques will help you surf the waves of withdrawal syndrome, as symptoms will constantly surge and change.

You might also stop experimenting with supplement, edible, or other. If a little theanine is helpful, don't overdo it.

Other than withdrawal insomnia, what are your most troublesome symptoms?

Anhedonia... I was healing from it before the CBD, tiny bit of L-Theanine and that bit of Sertraline... 

Do you know if L-Theanine could've reacted with that tiny bit of Sertraline I had? I could still feel something before having it... only a little something, but afterwards things got bad. 

I learned afterwards L-Theanine had serotonin in it... 

I'm going to try and wait, I just hope my emotions return someday 😭😭 besides crying a lot and anxiety 

• Administrator

I doubt theanine caused any long-term upset.

If anhedonia is your worst symptom, strongly advise you to stop trying to correct it. We have seen emotional anesthesia is a very common after-effect of taking psychiatric drugs and very gradually fades with time if you don't further upset your nervous system.

You will need to learn how to remind yourself of this, or you'll exhaust the staff with your worries.

On 6/15/2022 at 2:46 AM, 00ColdTurkey said:

Anhedonia... I was healing from it before the CBD, tiny bit of L-Theanine and that bit of Sertraline... 

Do you know if L-Theanine could've reacted with that tiny bit of Sertraline I had? I could still feel something before having it... only a little something, but afterwards things got bad. 

I learned afterwards L-Theanine had serotonin in it... 

I'm going to try and wait, I just hope my emotions return someday 😭😭 besides crying a lot and anxiety 

It's most likely the end.  I took it once very early in withdrawal and it ramped up my symptoms.  

It'll get better again.  Many people get a set back from various things if you read the threads and bounce back.  I have this symptom too so I get it.  You can write me anytime if you need to vent.  It's not a perfect process have compassion for yourself.   It was going away before it'll go way again.

Recent 2018 Zoloft 150mg  (20 years taking at various times, no real issues before stopping)

2019 Risperdal one month low dose (forget amount) stopped bad reaction

2019 Remeron 7.5 mg sleep  (discontinued in mid 2019) on for six months (tapered for a few weeks)

Zoloft 100 mg Summer 2020/Zoloft 75 mg Summer 2021

Zoloft 50 mg November 2021/ Zoloft 25 mg First two weeks January 2022: Reinstated 50 mgJanuary Last week)

Crash in February - on and off doses as doctors conflicted over serotonin syndrome/withdrawal - stopped all for two week & resumed:\

Other drugs tried in hospitals (Abilify, 1mg, 1 dose, Zyprexa 1 dose 1mg, Klonopin .25 4 doses in 2 hospitalizations)

March 1 titrated Zoloft up from 0 to 65 from February to Early May

Severe vision problems at 65 mg (improved depression)

Taper to 55 6/15, 45mg 7/15/ 35mg 8/1, 25mg 8/15, 10 mg, 8/31 OFF 9/2022 Omg  Improved with drops from August to September - November crash ONE dose Zoloft 3mg 11/17 - worsened symptoms - Remain off Zoloft

Mirtazapine -3.5 mg six weeks mid march to end april, occasionally for sleep

Supplements: Fish oil, magnesium, lions mane, cytokine suppress, MCT Oil

Small update, nobody needs to reply to this, I've just got to vent... 

Well. Last night I felt tiredness, could sleep well, etc. But someone played a joke on me last night, it brought my adrenaline up and left me shaken. I couldn't sleep at all. 

I'm feeling so angry and frustrated throughout the day. Because if that didn't happen, I would've still been able to sleep. My cognition feels off today too... I can't feel tiredness... it feels like my CNS got startled. 

It seems whenever I'm around this person it ends up making things worse. Like when I said about the CBD cookie and not wanting to try it, but I was convinced. 

Then I was an idiot myself and took a tiny bit of Sertraline on Tuesday. 

Now this. 

I just feel like whenever I'm around this guy, it's either I make a bad decision or he does and it just makes my recovery suffer...... 

I feel like I've got to distance myself for a while. So I don't feel upset around him and I can focus on myself... 😥😥

Hopefully my sleep returns again next week and I get back to where I was last night... 

I haven't felt anger or frustration since after last night. It just keeps jumping out.

I'm even terrified of him since that joke. It's like my nervous system can't get a grip... 😰😰

(That's the end of my vent...) 

Does anyone know if EDMR is too risky during withdrawal? One of my triggers is subconscious and I was going to see if trying to unblock it with a trauma specialist would help. 

I can't handle the palpitations, nightmares and adrenaline rushes. 🥹

1996-2018 - misc. polypharmacy, incl. SSRIs, SNRIs, neuroleptics, lithium, benzos, stimulants, antihistamines, etc. (approx. 30+ drugs)

2012-2018 - 10mg lexapro/escitalopram (20mg?)    Jan. 2018 - 10mg -> 5mg, then from 5mg -> 2.5mg, then 0mg  -->  July 2018 - 0mg

2017(?)-2020 - vyvanse/lisdexamfetamine 60-70mg    2020-2021 - 70mg down to 0mg  -->  July 2021 - 0mg

March-April 2021 - vortioxetine 5-10mg (approx. 7 weeks total; CT)  -->  April 28th, 2021 - 0mg

August 2021 - 2mg melatonin   August 1, 2022 - 1mg melatonin   March 31, 2023 - 0mg melatonin

2024 supplements update: electrolyte blend in water sipped throughout the day; 1 tsp fish oil blend w/ morning meal (incl. vit. A+D+E); calcium; vitamin C+zinc

Courage is fear that has said its prayers.  - Karle Wilson Baker

love and justice are not two. without inner change, there can be no outer change; without collective change, no change matters.  - Rev. angel Kyodo williams

Holding multiple truths. Knowing that everyone has their own accurate view of the way things are.  - text on homemade banner at Afiya house

I am not a medical professional; this is not medical advice. 

• Moderator Emeritus

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management

• Moderator Emeritus

I've moved the new topic you created to the existing EMDR topic.

There are many existing topics on SA.  Before creating a new topic, please check to see if one already exists.  SA likes to keep similar information in one place so that it is easier for members to find.

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management