Pumpkingypsy: Latuda / lurasidone withdrawal

Pumpkingypsy

Hi everyone I’ve been on latuda since March 11th .I had switched from Zyprexa to Latuda  I started at 40 mg and went up to 60 per Dr.‘s orders that being said that ended me up in the hospital for hostility and homicidal thoughts. I tapered myself down after the hospital stay from 40 to 20 to 10 into 5mg over the course of a month. June 21st I stopped. I know I went to fast that time I tried to reinstate the Latuda but it made me cry more depressed every day and gave me really bad anxiety,  hair loss & a crap list of other problems.  I’ve been putting up with hell for a little over 5 months.
 I saw another person with a success story here on the forums. I had reinstated to 20 mg September 8th through the 11th. I just couldn’t handle going back on it again my body does not like it. I recently stopped on the 11th was my last dose at 10 mg. September 12th through today September 15th has been ok I have had quite a bit of Anxiety and I can feel the nerve response that Latuda had on my nervous system trying to go back to normal. I cannot wait for that sensation to go away. I’m trying to keep busy and stay focused on being mindful and knowing I will get through it. I feel better off of it than I did on it and I’m praying it doesn’t overtake my willpower.  My goal is to not be on an antipsychotic anymore. I will keep updating my progress here. Thank you for taking the time to read. 

2018 May gabapentin induced psychosis 

put on 5mg zyprexa tapered 

Zyprexa 

4-6 weeks 2.5 2019-2020

February 1.25 2xs a week

MARCH 11 started 40mg latuda April increased to 60mg adverse reaction fast drop from May 40mg to June stopped reinstated 20 mg July 4th  -aug 8 then stopped with no improvement. Tried to reinstate again September 8 stopped September 12. 
took 2 doses of 2.5 zyprexa a week later

doc suggested I try Seroquel 12.5 September 27. Bad experience dr suggested try Saphris the 28th Extreme Panic. Dr then suggest Zyprexa 5mg on the 30th and 1st really bad akathisia and crying depression. Told to try 2.5 on the 2nd same experience with crying and depression and akathisia. 
tried to reinstate 1/4 2.5mg October 9 woke up with extreme panic attack thought I would take one more 1/4 to help but it made it worse. 

• ChessieCat changed the title to Pumpkingypsy: Latuda / lurasidone withdrawal
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, Pumpkingypsy.

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

It appears you had an adverse reaction to the Latuda, first with the 60mg dose, then with your first reinstatement in June, then with your second reinstatement in September.  Adverse reaction means the at this point the drug is basically poison to your system.  Your system is very sensitized, and your fast taper probably had caused withdrawal symptoms.  You will heal.  We can't predict how long it will take, but it will happen.  It's very good that you feel better off the drug than on it, and your staying focused and being mindful are excellent coping strategies.

The symptoms of an adverse reaction are very similar to those of withdrawal.

What is withdrawal syndrome.

Daily Checklist of Antidepressant Withdrawal Symptoms (PDF) 

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Magnesium, nature's calcium channel blocker 

Omega-3 fatty acids (fish oil) 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems.

We recommend non-drug coping skills to deal with withdrawal and adverse reactions.  Take a look at the links in the following link and see which you think might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

This is your Introduction topic, where you can ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• 4 weeks later...

Please help. I started Latuda 40 mg March 11, 2020 after switching from Zyprexa 2.5 mg for a year. I ended up coming off the Latuda Way too fast in July I am having post withdrawal still I try to reinstate with Zyprexa to cover with drawls but all I’m getting is akathisia shakes in my skin feels like it’s burning and I started at 5 mg Sept 30th & 1st oct. October 2 I try to take 2.5 mg still bad akathisia. I stopped after that for a week I started to feel better but then I started to get very bad acid reflux and nausea on the 9th. I’ve had insomnia for several days. Last night I took 1/4 2.5 I woke up from light sleep with extreme panic attack. So I took another 1/4 at eight this morning.  I’m a nervous wreck and shaking and I still feel super sick with akathisia. What do I do

Zyprexa 

4-6 weeks 2.5 2019-2020

February 1.25 2xs a week

MARCH 11 started 40mg latuda April increased to 60mg adverse reaction fast drop from May 40mg to June stopped reinstated 20 mg July 4th  -aug 8 then stopped with no improvement. Tried to reinstate again September 8 stopped September 12. 

doc suggested I try Seroquel 12.5 September 27. Bad experience dr suggested try Saphris the 28th Extreme Panic. Dr then suggest Zyprexa 5mg on the 30th and 1st really bad akathisia and crying depression. Told to try 2.5 on the 2nd same experience with crying and depression and akathisia. 
tried to reinstate 1/4 2.5mg October 9 woke up with extreme panic attack thought I would take one more 1/4 to help but it made it worse. 

• Moderator Emeritus
27 minutes ago, Pumpkingypsy said:

try to reinstate with Zyprexa to cover with drawls

I'm sorry you're feeling so bad.

As I said in my first post,  you had an adverse reaction to the Latuda along withdrawal from it.   You have now had an adverse reaction to the Zyprexa.  Your system is very sensitized and it appears from your reaction to both the Latuda and the Zyprexa that psychiatric drugs are not good for you.  

You will recover from all this, including the akathisia,  but unfortunately we can't predict how long it will take.  I would not take any more psychiatric drugs.   Let your brain rest and heal.

Have you tried the magnesium and omegas that I mentioned in my first post?  Try one at a time and start at a low dose.

Take a look at the links in the following link and see which technique you think might be helpful to you.

Non-drug techniques to cope

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

Thank you for responding how do you deal with the nausea and acid reflex.  Do I just deal with the insomnia?  At night I take two Ativan’s and 3 mg Lunesta but they seem to not be working as well if it all. I’m not going to take them any more in between as I Praxa in the Latuda they had me try 12.5 mg of Sarah Quill one day then the next day had me try Saphris. Later that week on the 29th and 30th & 1st is when the doctor tried to reinstate Zyprexa. I feel like I’m totally ***** you really think I will get better?  I went a week trying to feel better yesterday was the seventh day I started to get really sick with acid reflux and nausea so I took the 1/4 Zyprexa. No today I have acathisia in my skin feels like it’s burning. I’m so scared I don’t want to go into a psychiatric hospital and have them put me on more ****. 

Zyprexa 

4-6 weeks 2.5 2019-2020

February 1.25 2xs a week

• Moderator Emeritus

1 hour ago, Pumpkingypsy said:

how do you deal with the nausea and acid reflex.

We don't recommend PPI's or stomach acid blockers, which have to be tapered off.  This link contains some suggestions about diet and stomach issues.

Acid reflux - Symptoms and self-care - Surviving Antidepressants

Do I just deal with the insomnia?

Here are some suggestion for dealing with withdrawal insomnia.

Relaxation exercises, guided meditations, calming videos, sleep hypnosis

Tricks and tips to fall asleep faster

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/02/16/tips-tricks-fall-asleep-faster.aspx?utm_source=dnl&utm_medium=email&utm_content=art1&utm_campaign=20170216Z1&et_cid=DM133787&et_rid=1889748952

This link contains helpful information, including insomnia and also non-drug coping skills.  

Important topics about symptoms, including sleep problems

Some members have found Melatonin helpful with insomnia.   

Melatonin for sleep   

It's best to start at a very low dosage, such as .25mg, and gradually increase if needed to the lowest effective dose.  

you really think I will get better?

Yes.  I think you will.  You need to take good care of yourself, stay off the psychiatric drugs and have patience and you will find yourself getting better and better as time passes.  I'd stay away from caffeine, sugar, alcohol and MSG.  Try to do some mild exercise in nature every day, like a walk. Take a look at the non-drug techniques link I sent and give some of the techniques a try.  Don't forget magnesium and omegas. The brain has a remarkable ability to heal itself.

2 hours ago, Pumpkingypsy said:

I have acathisia in my skin feels like it’s burning.

I know it is difficult but it will get better in time.  If you Google SurvivingAntidepressants.org akathisia you will see that you are not alone in suffering from this.  

l

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Thank you so much for your time and your help with the links I don’t want to be alone in this. I’m a mother of two daughters and I’ve got to get better as soon as I can to take care of them I’m trying to keep myself busy by cleaning and taking care of the kids. I wanted to share my taper of Zyprexa before I went onto latuda. It was originally to get off antipsychotic all together but the doctor insisted that I go onto Latuda. 
I started at 5 mg May 2018 every day that month and then I noticed that I could go a few days without taking a pill so I started skipping days from then on. 

Zyprexa 

4-6 weeks 2.5 2019-2020

4 days off two days on at the end of January 5 days off two days on 

Tues 2.5 Dec 17

Weds 5mg Dec 18

Mon 2.5 Dec 23

Tues 2.5 Dec 24

29th 2.5

30th 2.5

January 

4th 2.5

5th 1.25

10th 2.5

11th 1.25

16th 2.5

17Th 1.25

22nd 1.25

23rd  1.25

28th 1.25

29th 1.25

😊February cut out 2nd day

3rd 1.25

8th 1.25

13th 1.25

18th 1.25

23rd 1.25

Edited by manymoretodays
decreased font size

Zyprexa 

4-6 weeks 2.5 2019-2020

February 1.25 2xs a week

• Moderator Emeritus

Hi Pumpking,

I just went through and decreased the font size on your last post and in the signature.  No other changes.

Once you do a post or copy something over, you can go to the editing feature at the top of posts.  Select what you'd like to reduce.  And then 14 in the size drop down menu.

So much easier on the eyes.  When we are on and working, it does get hard to scan many, many posts, if the font is large or really bold.

And hey, welcome aboard from me,

L, P, H, and G,

mmt

Late 2023- gone to emeritus status, inactive, don't @ me, I can check who I've posted on, and I'm not really here like I used to be......thanks.

Started with psycho meds/psychiatric care circa 1988.  In retrospect, and on contemplation, situational overwhelm.

Rounding up to 30 years of medications(30 medication trials, poly-pharmacy maximum was 3 at one time).

5/28/2015-off Adderal salts 2.5mg. (I had been on that since hospital 10/2014)

12/2015---just holding, holding, holding, with trileptal/oxcarb at 75 mg. 1/2 tab at hs.  My last psycho med ever!  Tapered @ 10% every 4 weeks, sometimes 2 weeks to

2016 Dec 16 medication free!!

Longer signature post here, with current supplements.

Herb and alcohol free since 5/15/2016.  And.....I quit smoking 11/2021. Lapsed.  Redo of quit smoking 9/28/2022.  Can you say Hallelujah?(took me long enough)💜

None of my posts are intended as medical advice.  Please discuss any decisions about your medical care with a knowledgeable medical provider.  My success story:  Blue skies ahead, clear sailing

• Moderator Emeritus
8 minutes ago, Pumpkingypsy said:

I could go a few days without taking a pill

You're off the Zyprexa now, it's in the past, and I'm glad of that.  I did want to say, for other who might be reading this, that we never recommend skipping doses to taper.  It makes the amount of the drug in your blood stream go up and down, which batters the nervous system and makes withdrawal worse.

How about taking my medication every other day to reduce my dosage?

12 minutes ago, Pumpkingypsy said:

I’m trying to keep myself busy by cleaning and taking care of the kids.

That's very good, and I'm happy you're able to do this.

Gridley Introduction

Taper is 95% complete.

Taper is 91% complete.  

Benadryl withdrawal taper help please

Hi I’ve had a problem with taking Benadryl every night sometimes 100 mg for about 2 years. I recently withdrawal from antipsychotics latuda & zyprexa. I was told to use Benadryl to help with anxiety during the day so my dose went from 4 25mg at night to about 8 pills. A day. I noticed my skin drying out & Burning sensation  and having nerve reactions with goosebumps hair standing on ends. Still insomniac and increased heart rate. In the morning I’m having cortisol spikes. How should I get off it. The past 2 days I’ve gone back down to 100 mg. I’m having anxiety tremors and trouble sleeping, nausea. I feel dried out and like I’ve got histamine overload. How should I do the withdrawal taper or ct? If tapering how should I reduce and timeline for withdrawal please help??? 

Edited by ChessieCat
added topic title

Zyprexa 

4-6 weeks 2.5 2019-2020

February 1.25 2xs a week

• Moderator Emeritus
9 hours ago, Pumpkingypsy said:

Benadryl withdrawal taper help please

See the link at the top of Post #1 here:  allergies-sneezing-stuffed-up-nose-sinus-antihistamines-and-what-to-use-for-allergy-relief

* NO LONGER ACTIVE on SA *

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED:  (6 year taper)      0mg Pristiq  on 13th November 2021

ADs since ~1992:  25+ years - 1 unknown, Prozac (muscle weakness), Zoloft; citalopram (pooped out) CTed (very sick for 2.5 wks a few months after); Pristiq:  50mg 2012, 100mg beg 2013 (Serotonin Toxicity)  Tapering from Oct 2015 - 13 Nov 2021   LAST DOSE 0.0025mg

Post 0 updates start here    My tapering program     My Intro (goes to tapering graph)

VIDEO:   Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome and its Management