casanovasdream: I think I have brain damage from cold turkey withdrawal off Escitalopram, please help

casanovasdream

It's like I have a disease. I've been reduced to an invalid. I am mentally retarded and braindead. I can't function, can't think, can't talk, can't write, can't sleep, can't cry, can't laugh, can't sing, can't act, can't make eye contact, can't take any substance without having heart problems including BBQ Doritos, can't go outside in public, can't focus on watching tv and movies, can't do anything... Everything is hard. I'm suffering all day everyday. I used to be a genius. Something happened to me and I'm not the same anymore... I'm not the real me. It is very scary. It feels like my soul and spirit were stolen and my brain was hijacked. I have no vibration... My vibration is toxic... but I can't control it. I've been in the same invalid state for almost a year, since May last year... Without making progress or a recovery. I think I'm just getting worse and worse as time goes on. I'm as depressed as I can be without incriminating myself to the point that forces the doctor to call the cops on me to take me to the hospital for a psychiatric assessment. And I can't emphasize enough the fact that I have a bad heart... Something is wrong with my heart but it didn't show up in numerous thorough blood tests I did in august. I was diagnosed with psychosis in may and august at the hospital psychward. I think this is a misdiagnosis and my actual disease is yet to be determined. Everything I'm going through is physical, it's not just inside my head... I'm not just having mental problems... It's more than that and it's physical. I swear it is physical and I must have a rare disease that isn't easily detectable and diagnosed... That is frequently misdiagnosed with psychosis/schizophrenia. This is why my medication Invega and Valium didn't work for me. Invega just gave me side effects and made me feel so much worse and more depressed. It feels like I'm on my own and there's no way out. I don't feel well at all. I'm always tired but I can't sleep... I can only sleep during the day for a few hours. I'm always feeling a strong sense of dysphoria... It's right out of a nightmare. I'm truly fully suffering. I'm also extremely extremely irritable all the time. A lot of symptoms may resemble psychosis but I swear it's not mental, it's physical. I have to keep stressing that I know the difference between mental and physical and what I'm going through is all physical. Can someone tell me what is wrong with me? How can I cure myself? How can I find out what is wrong with me? Every waking moment is agony... I have no enjoyment in anything. My social phobia and anxiety is through the roof and off the charts. I'm living in hell and can't find a way out. I have impaired cognition. Something in my brain is blocking my cognitive abilities. I have beyond brainfog... My mind is mush. It feels like I have permanent brain damage. Will I ever recover? How long does it take to recover from cold turkey withdrawal from 20mg Escitalopram?

I got off my antidepressant Escitalopram cold turkey in May after being on it (20mg the maximum dose) for 7 years. I haven't been the same since that. It was giving me a heart attack so I didn't even have a chance to wean off it... We called 911 and the paramedics took me to the hospital and I was admitted to the psychward. I thought I had serotonin syndrome but I was diagnosed with psychosis/schizophrenia and given Invega pills. I'm still having heart problems ten months later. I've made no improvement or progress since May last year. I'm losing patience and hope. Do I have permanent brain damage? Will I be like this forever? Will I ever recover?

• getofflex changed the title to casanovasdream: I think I have brain damage from cold turkey withdrawal off Escitalopram, please help
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm deeply sorry that you are going through this awful situation.  I'm really glad you found us.  We here know firsthand how difficult it is to go through withdrawal from psych meds.  I myself went through a very painful WD from Lexapro after a very fast taper and reinstatement, and am still going through WD, but it has slowly improved.  I can tell you that Lexapro is a very powerful drug.  It is at least twice as potent as other antidepressants.  Also, going cold turkey off a drug can set you up for a rough ride.  Are you still taking the Invega?  

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history?  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

I believe that as you come in here and find others like yourself, and find some help here, that you will begin to feel better.  I'm not saying the pain will magically all disappear, but it will slowly start to abate.  There is hope for you, there truly is.  There are other people here who cold turkeyed off psych meds and they have recovered.  I don't believe you will be this way forever, but I do believe it will probably take some time for your nervous system to recover.  It will probably take some patience and work and endurance on your part.  Here is a thread of other people here who went through CT and fast taper. 

Cold Turkey and Fast Taper

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  Please read this carefully - it will explain why you've been feeling so bad for so long. 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

We strongly suggest you look at non-drug ways to calm yourself.  These ideas in the links below can definitely help with withdrawal and life stress in general. 

Music Calms Us Down

Meditation for Stressed Out Nervous System

Neuro Emotions

Ways to Cope with Daily Anxiety

Health Anxiety, Hypochondria and Obession with Symptoms

Fear, Terror, Panic, or Anxiety

Irritation, Anger, and Rage

Dealing with Emotional Spirals

We don't suggest many supplements, but 3 that many of us find helpful are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those.  Introduce them one at a time, at small doses, to see how your system reacts to them. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen.  Hang in there! 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• Moderator Emeritus

@casanovasdreamafter conferring with the staff, one mod said you could possibly try a very small reinstatement.  Reinstatement is risky, but it may help you.  If you choose to try it, I would strongly suggest you do this very carefully, or you could possibly worsen your situation.  Reinstatement may help, or it may make you feel worse by causing an adverse reaction.  It is a crap shoot, but you could try it.  Let me know what you decide to do.  

Here is a success story about a person who CT'ed from Paxil and is now recovered.  This can give you hope.  

Coldturkmama recovered after Paxil Cold Turkey

I'm praying for you. 

Edited by getofflex
changed "could likely" to "could possibly"

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

How come you're the only one replying? Why does it say my content will need to be approved by a moderator? Why can't I post in other places other than introductions and updates? I don't know how to use this forum. 

• Moderator Emeritus

This is a moderated forum.  Every new member's first 2 posts must be approved by a moderator.  Once I approve your second post, which I will do shortly, you will have the freedom to post in other places.  Hopefully others will come along and reply to you as well.  

Hi Casanovasdream,

I'm sorry that you are suffering.  I got off lexapro at 5mg CT and have experienced some of the same symptoms - chest tightness/pain, cognitive issues, inability to feel positive emotion, panic.  It all happened at once 2.5 months after stopping and it was shocking. You're not alone.

Take care,

Crochet

2012-present - Escitalopram currently 2.55 mg

Supplements:  Daytime- Green Lipped Mussel 1200mg, Omega-3s 1710mg, Wheat Germ Oil 770mg, Sodium Butyrate 1.2g, Phosphatidylcholine 2600mg, Multi-Min 2 tablets, Liposomal Glutathione 4 pumps, Probiotic 1 capsule, Beyond Balance herbal tinctures for lyme and gut healing (including one only taken during menstruation); Nighttime - L-theanine 200mg, melatonin 1mg, magnesium glycinate 400mg.

History:

2012-2017- Escitalopram 10mg

2017-2020 - Escitalopram 5mg

07/2019-11/2019 - Valium 10mg, every 2-3 days, then stopped

11/2020 - Stopped Escitalopram 5mg abruptly (crashed January 2021)

1/2021-12/2021 - Escitalopram Reinstated 2.5mg to 5 to 10 to 7.5 and then started slow taper

1/2021-2/2021 - Ativan .5mg - Took 13.5 pills over the course of 22 days and stopped

2/2021-9/2021  Hydroxyzine - 50-100mg tapering down to .8mg, then cross-tapered to Claritin and stopped

9/2021-9/2022 - Claritin 5 mg (tapered off)

The withdrawal symptoms are unfortunately long, and this is what delusive psychiatry has not told us

I don't speak English fluently but I speak to you with google translator

2005-2006:Diversity in taking medications
 2006-2019 Seroxat 20 mg
 2020-2021 Cipralex 15 mg
 Mar 2021 it has decreased from 15 mg to 12.5 mg/Aug 2021 9mg/Sep 12, 2021 8mg/Oct 12, 2021 7mg / Nov 12, 2021 6mg / Dec 12, 2021 5mg / Jan 12, 2022 4.5mg /Feb 12, 2022 4mg/Mar-Apr 3.5mg/May 3mg The beginning of severe withdrawal

/sep 23, 2022 2.5mg

On March 19, 2023, I ended up in the emergency room, with severe palpitations, panic, and severe mental and physical fatigue, then I went back to a dose of 20 milligrams of Seroxat to this day.

• Mentor

@casanovasdream You will recover. I'm recovering from Escitalopram. There are many others who made it too.

- Escitalopram 10mg from ages 15 - 21

- Severe crash after 4 month taper to 0

- Reinstated, stabilized, slowly tapering.

"Although the world is full of suffering, it is also full of the overcoming of it." - Hellen Keller

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice, but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

On 3/16/2021 at 7:21 AM, casanovasdream said:

It's like I have a disease. I've been reduced to an invalid. I am mentally retarded and braindead. I can't function, can't think, can't talk, can't write, can't sleep, can't cry, can't laugh, can't sing, can't act, can't make eye contact, can't take any substance without having heart problems including BBQ Doritos, can't go outside in public, can't focus on watching tv and movies, can't do anything... Everything is hard. I'm suffering all day everyday. I used to be a genius. Something happened to me and I'm not the same anymore... I'm not the real me. It is very scary. It feels like my soul and spirit were stolen and my brain was hijacked. I have no vibration... My vibration is toxic... but I can't control it. I've been in the same invalid state for almost a year, since May last year... Without making progress or a recovery. I think I'm just getting worse and worse as time goes on. I'm as depressed as I can be without incriminating myself to the point that forces the doctor to call the cops on me to take me to the hospital for a psychiatric assessment. And I can't emphasize enough the fact that I have a bad heart... Something is wrong with my heart but it didn't show up in numerous thorough blood tests I did in august. I was diagnosed with psychosis in may and august at the hospital psychward. I think this is a misdiagnosis and my actual disease is yet to be determined. Everything I'm going through is physical, it's not just inside my head... I'm not just having mental problems... It's more than that and it's physical. I swear it is physical and I must have a rare disease that isn't easily detectable and diagnosed... That is frequently misdiagnosed with psychosis/schizophrenia. This is why my medication Invega and Valium didn't work for me. Invega just gave me side effects and made me feel so much worse and more depressed. It feels like I'm on my own and there's no way out. I don't feel well at all. I'm always tired but I can't sleep... I can only sleep during the day for a few hours. I'm always feeling a strong sense of dysphoria... It's right out of a nightmare. I'm truly fully suffering. I'm also extremely extremely irritable all the time. A lot of symptoms may resemble psychosis but I swear it's not mental, it's physical. I have to keep stressing that I know the difference between mental and physical and what I'm going through is all physical. Can someone tell me what is wrong with me? How can I cure myself? How can I find out what is wrong with me? Every waking moment is agony... I have no enjoyment in anything. My social phobia and anxiety is through the roof and off the charts. I'm living in hell and can't find a way out. I have impaired cognition. Something in my brain is blocking my cognitive abilities. I have beyond brainfog... My mind is mush. It feels like I have permanent brain damage. Will I ever recover? How long does it take to recover from cold turkey withdrawal from 20mg Escitalopram?

I got off my antidepressant Escitalopram cold turkey in May after being on it (20mg the maximum dose) for 7 years. I haven't been the same since that. It was giving me a heart attack so I didn't even have a chance to wean off it... We called 911 and the paramedics took me to the hospital and I was admitted to the psychward. I thought I had serotonin syndrome but I was diagnosed with psychosis/schizophrenia and given Invega pills. I'm still having heart problems ten months later. I've made no improvement or progress since May last year. I'm losing patience and hope. Do I have permanent brain damage? Will I be like this forever? Will I ever recover?

I have been through AD withdrawals and put on invega sustenna shot for 5 months and still suffering from withdrawals.

it’S tough journey, I am sorry that you’re going through this but we have adapt to survive.

moderates have experience to guide you and they’re very helpful.

Invega side effect is way much worse than AD and I couldn’t bare with it then I went CT. 

stay calm and strong and take good care of yourself. 

- 2013-2014 zoloft 100 mg  xanax 1 mg

- 2015 prozac 40mg/ Xanax 1 mg / zopiclone 7.5

- 2016  brintellix 20mg /Pristiq 50mg / xanax 1 mg

- 2017  Cymbalta / xanax 1 mg / zopiclone 7.5 mg

- 2018 cibralex 10mg/ lexotanil 1.5/ 

- 2019 Effexor 150mg / lexotanil 1.5 

- December 2019  Concerta 36 mg/ zyban 300 mg/ lexotanil 1.5  / zopiclone 7.5 mg / quit on June 2020

- July 2020  Invega Sustenna XR 100 mg shot / lexotanil 1.5 mg  / zopiclone 7.5 mg

- October 2020 reduced the dose to 75 mg shot and Quit

i am still on lexotanil 1.5  / zopiclone 7.5 mg 

On 3/15/2021 at 11:21 PM, casanovasdream said:

, can't take any substance without having heart problems including BBQ Doritos,

Any food with MSG and artificial colors or flavors can make you worse.

They are neuro-toxins.

Simple foods taken in modest quantities throughout the day is best.

Can you explain a little more succinctly why you were taken off cold turkey?

I am trying to piece together a little better what actual condition outside of withdrawal you may be suffering.

thank you

Starting ds 2 (12.5 CR'S) = 25 MG PAXIL CR 1/21/15: 1 Pill + 10mg liquid (2 weeks) 2/4: 1 Pill + 9mg Lq (3 weeks) 2/25: 1 Pill + 8 mg lq (1 week) 3/4: 1 Pill + 6 mg lq (2 weeks) 3/18/15 1 Pill + 4 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/1/15 1 Pill + 3 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/14/15 1 Pill + 2 mg lq (2 weeks) 4/29/15 1Pill + 1 mg lq (16 days) 5/15/15 1 12.5 mg Pill ONLY (9 days) 5/24/15 12 mgs liquid (8 days) 6/1/15 11mg lq (12 days) 6/13/15 10 mg.  12/3/15 Drop from 8mg to 7.6 (24 days to) 12/27/15 7.2mgs 8/4/16 6.8mgs,  11/1/16 6.4mgs, 2/5/17 6 mgs  4/3/17 5.6mgs, 4/24/17 5.2mg, 6/13/17 4.8mgs, 9/20/17 4.4mgS, 11/23/17 4 mgs, 1/1/18 3.6 mgs, 2/15/18 3.2 mgs. 4/13/18 2.8mgs, 5/11/18 2.4mgs, 6/10/18 2.0 mgs, 8/4/18 1.6mgs,  9/27/18 1.2mgs, 12/24/18 0.8mg, 3/24/19 0.64 mg,(syringe change issue date?) 4/22/19 0.60 mg, 5/24/19 0.60 mg, 7/7/19 0.52 mgs, 8/4/19 0.44mgs, 11/4/19 0.36mgs, 2/1/20 0.28mgs, 3/1/20 0.24mgs (crash April 6) Compound started 6/28/21: 0.24mgs, 8/29/21: 0.22mgs, 10/31/21: 0.20mgs, 1/03/22: 0.18mgs, 3/5/22: 0.16mgs, 5/5/22: 0.14mgs.

Original Wellbutrin Dose: 6 months from 9/14 to 3/2015, 300 XL 3/15/15: Half to 150 XL ( severe symptoms started on day 12) 4/16/15: 125mg   for 20 days to: 5/6/15:   100mg  for  15 days to: 5/21/15    75mg  for  10 days to: 6/1/15:  56.25mg      13 days to: 6/13/15: 37.25mg    7 days to: 6/20/15  28.12mg   14 days to: 7/4/15  18.75mg, 7 days to: 7/11/15; RAISE BACK TO: 28.12 to 8/14/15: 18.75mg  20 days to :9/3/15 : 12.5mg, 8/4/16 9mg 1/9/17: 8.5mg 2/8/17 8mg, 3/9/17: 7.6  4/9/17  7.2  5/27/17 6.4 6/24/17 5.8, 8/1/17 5.0, 8/29/17 4.2mgs, 10/2/17 3.5mgs, 12/28/17 2.5mgs, 2/27/18 1.7mgs,  4/19/18 0.8 mgs, LAST DOSE: 6/11/18:  3 YEARS, 2 MONTHS, 27 DAYS...

Hello @casanovasdream,

I Am so sorry to read what you are going through. 

I also CDed and is hell 11 months later. And yes, certain foods can trigger symptons. 

MY thoughts are with you. 

March 2019: 10mg Citalopram

April 2019: 20mg Citalopram

October/November 2019(sorry, I don't remember the exact date): 10mg of Citalopram without tapering, as suggested by my pharmacist. 

March 2020: Started "tapering", taking the 10mg of Citalopram every other day, again, following the recommendations of my pharmacist. 

April 2020: Stopped taking Citalopram.

I haven't reinstall since then. I've tried taking Magnesium a couple of times, but I found out it makes me nervous. I only take Paracetemol when the headache becomes unbearable (2gr every couple of weeks or so).