tobymfh: Abilify withdrawal symptoms - please help.

tobymfh

Hi,

Here is my drug taper history:

2018, prescribed Olanzapine (10mg) and Mitrazapine (10mg). Olanzapine was upped to 30mg over period of 4 months. After a year, I requested to "come off" Olanazpaine. Psychiatrist told me a 2 week taper from 30-10mg (10 mg a week) then a following 10mg week 3 - 0. Severe withdrawal symptoms occurred. I was prescribed Abilify (5mg) by the same psychiatrist as she had "never come across" this type of "discontinuation syndrome". I was on Abilify 5mg for 1.5 years. 10 weeks ago I asked to come off. She again, recommended a 2 week taper (5mg - 2.5mg) then come off. Out of fear I tapered from 5 - 2.5mg over 3.5 weeks then came off. I also around a year ago tapered and came off Mitrazapine, with no significant withdrawal symptoms, apart from nausea and vomiting for 4 weeks.

I'm in week 6 of withdrawal symptoms from Abilify: I'm experiencing nausea, vomiting (severe), tingling / prickling / burning / itchy skin (upper back, shoulders and neck), catastrophic thoughts orientating around health (fear over cause of neuropathic pain / itching, even though it started in withdrawal), very severe anxiety, deep depression, suicidal ideation, intense feelings of guilt / shame / remorse, intrusive thoughts (mainly about shameful past acts), and general feeling of just being "ill".

It comes in "waves". Sometimes I have a 2-4 day "window" where I feel better, but just now have gone through a 3 day intense "wave". I'm really looking for some hope, and that my symptoms can be identified as part of this withdrawal process as my own thought processes are seriously irrational at the moment. I've never really "come off" psychiatric medication before, but have come off other drugs successfully. They were a walk in the park compared to this.

Any advice, hope, help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Olanzapine:  Started early 2018, 10-30mg over 4 months; began "rapid" taper early 2019 under suggestion of psychiatrist: 30mg - 20mg - 10mg - 0mg over 4 weeks.

Mitrazapine: Started 2018 alongside Olanzapine (10mg) used for one year; began tapering over 5 weeks early 2019; 10mg - 5mg - 2.5mg - 0mg.

Abilify: Started early 2019 as replacement for Olanzapine, used 5mg daily until Feb, 2021; began tapering 5mg - 2.5mg - 0mg over 3.5 weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  It sounds to me as if you are going through significant withdrawal symptoms from going through a too fast taper.  Your system could possibly have been sensitized from the fast taper you did off Olanzapine a while back, too.  The symptoms you describe sound to me like classic withdrawal from psych meds. I myself have had all the symptoms you describe, except for the vomiting.  This section of the forum has threads about WD symptoms: 

Symptoms

First of all, can you please give us specific information about your drug history?  Please read the link below for instructions.  This will allow us to give you the best guidance.  We need specific dates, drugs, and dosages.  Thank you.  

How to List Drug History in Signature

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  This explains why WD is so difficult and unpleasant.  

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

Tapering is best done extremely slowly, and we taper by 10% of the current dose, so that the taper becomes exponentially smaller.

Why Taper by 10% of my Dosage  

Also, as we are tapering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. 

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 3 that many of us find helpful are magnesium, omega-3, and melatonin. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

Melatonin

It is a really good sign that yo are having windows and waves.  It means that your system is healing.  I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Please read through it, and mull it over, and we will take it from there. In the meantime, take care of yourself, and take heart.  We in this forum have been through this, and we understand first hand the pain and discomfort you are going through.  Please know that the brain is amazing in it's healing abilities.  It takes time, but healing can and will happen. 

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

• getofflex changed the title to tobymfh: Abilify withdrawal symptoms - please help.

Hi Getofflex,

Thank you so much for the information and hope you've given me, I really appreciate it. I've read through most of the links you've suggested, and will continue researching this evening - knowledge really helps as well as community. I've also updated my signature. Again, thank you, it means a lot to me in these dark times to hold onto some hope. 

Olanzapine:  Started early 2018, 10-30mg over 4 months; began "rapid" taper early 2019 under suggestion of psychiatrist: 30mg - 20mg - 10mg - 0mg over 4 weeks.

Mitrazapine: Started 2018 alongside Olanzapine (10mg) used for one year; began tapering over 5 weeks early 2019; 10mg - 5mg - 2.5mg - 0mg.

Abilify: Started early 2019 as replacement for Olanzapine, used 5mg daily until Feb, 2021; began tapering 5mg - 2.5mg - 0mg over 3.5 weeks.

• Moderator Emeritus

@tobymfhyou're welcome.  I'm glad it was helpful.  On days when I feel especially bad or hopeless, it really helps to read the success stories.  Look in the main forum under current events.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly