mamabear3: Zoloft--Breast Swelling/Pain

mamabear3

Has anyone struggled with breast pain/swelling after taking Zoloft? I have had a mammogram and ultrasound and my doctor said my results are good/unexplainable which makes me believe it’s the Zoloft withdrawal. I notice it happens anytime I drink caffeine, alcohol or chug a lot of water. 

Edited by Gridley
  • Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to SA, mamabear3.

Breast tenderness and swelling are a known side effect of Zoloft.  Assuming your doctor knew you were taking Zoloft, It's odd that he/she didn't tell you this and found your results unexplainable, since I was able to find this information from Mayo Clinic very quickly via a Google search.

Sertraline (Oral Route) Side Effects - Mayo Clinic

Side effects result from taking a drug; withdrawal results from stopping or reducing a drug.  Are you currently tapering Zoloft?  If so, at what rate?  To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include your original Zoloft dose, your tapering rate with dates and current dose.

We recommend tapering by no more than 10% of current dose every four weeks.

Why taper by 10% of my dosage?

This link is specifically about tapering Zoloft, including how to get the non-standard doses needed for a 10% taper.  Zoloft comes in a prescription liquid, which is convenient for tapering.  If you decide to use this method, you should do a gradual crossover from tablet to liquid.  Let us know and we can give you details.  Other methods include weighing doses using a digital scale.  These methods and others are  described in the link.

Tips for tapering off sertraline (Zoloft)

We recommend against caffeine and alcohol during withdrawal due to the sensitivity of the nervous system during this process.

We don't recommend a lot of supplements on SA, as many members report being sensitive to them due to our over-reactive nervous systems, but two supplements that we do recommend are magnesium and omega 3 (fish oil). Many people find these to be calming to the nervous system. 

Add in one at a time and at a low dose in case you do experience problems. Get supplements that are single ingredient (not mixed with other types of supplements).

This is your Introduction topic, where you can complete your drug signature, ask questions and connect with other members.  We're glad you found your way here.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.

• Gridley changed the title to mamabear3: Zoloft--Breast Swelling/Pain

I’m no longer taking Zoloft but it happened while I was and still happens anytime I take anything that effect serotonin, like caffeine, alcohol, even if I chug water.

I tried to edit my signature but I guess I did it wrong. I will try again. 

Also, my dr said because I’m no longer taking Zoloft and haven’t since June 2019, it’s not the reason. My intuition thinks it is, but I don’t know. 

• Moderator Emeritus
2 hours ago, Gridley said:

To give members the best information, we ask them to summarize their medication history in a signature -- drugs, doses, dates, and discontinuations & reinstatements, in the last 12-24 months particularly.  Please include your original Zoloft dose, your tapering rate with dates and current dose.

Here's the link for your signature.

Account Settings – Create or Edit a signature.

1 hour ago, mamabear3 said:

Also, my dr said because I’m no longer taking Zoloft and haven’t since June 2019, it’s not the reason. My intuition thinks it is, but I don’t know. 

It is possible and not uncommon for withdrawal to last two years or longer.   The vast majority of doctors do not believe in the existence of significant or lengthy withdrawal, but our experience here has been the opposite.

Protracted Withdrawal or PAWS (post-acute withdrawal ...

Since withdrawal strongly affects the central nervous system, and since the central nervous system unless all aspects of our body and brain, withdrawal can take many unusual forms.  The following link is about the experience of one member complaining of breast pain as a withdrawal symptom.  

Fenar: Zoloft Withdraw symptoms - Introductions and updates ...

So your symptoms could be from withdrawal, especially since the tests ruled out other causes.  The fact that alcohol and caffeine, which affect the nervous system, are implicated in the times you have the symptoms also points to withdrawal as the cause.  You will heal, but unfortunately there's no way for us to give you a timeline.  Everyone is different.  Here is some information on withdrawal and the healing process. 

When we take psychiatric medications, the CNS (central nervous system) responds by making changes over the months and years we take the drug(s). When the medication is discontinued, the CNS has to undo all the changes it made. Rebuilding the neurotransmitter production and reactivating the receptor and transporter cells takes time -- during that rebuilding process symptoms occur.  

These explain the healing process really well.

You might consider eliminating the alcohol and caffeine and see if your symptoms improve.

Do you have any other symptoms offwithdrawal?  The links I provided above should help you make that determination.

Edited by Gridley

Gridley Introduction

Lexapro 20 mg since 2004.  Begin Brassmonkey Slide Taper Jan. 2017.   

End 2017 year 1 of taper at 9.25mg 

End 2018 year 2 of taper at 4.1mg

End 2019 year 3 of taper at 1.0mg  

Oct. 30, 2020  Jump to zero from 0.025mg.  Current dose: 0.000mg

3 year, 10 month taper is 100% complete.

Ativan 1 mg to 1.875mg 1986-2020, two CT's and reinstatements

Nov. 2020, 7-week Ativan-Valium crossover to 18.75mg Valium

Feb. 2021, begin 10%/4 week taper of 18.75mg Valium 

End 2021  year 1 of Valium taper at 6mg

End 2022 year 2 of Valium taper at 2.75mg 

End 2023 year 3 of Valium taper at 1mg

Jan. 24, 2024: Hold at 1mg and shift to Imipramine taper.

Taper is 95% complete.

Imipramine 75 mg daily since 1986.  Jan.-Sept. 2016 tapered to 14.4mg  

March 22, 2022: Begin 10%/4 week taper

Aug. 5, 2022: hold at 9.5mg and shift to Valium taper

Jan. 24, 2024: Resume Imipramine taper.  Current dose as of April 1: 6.8mg

Taper is 91% complete.  

Supplements: multiple, quercetin, omega-3, vitamins C, E and D3, magnesium glycinate, probiotics, zinc, melatonin .3mg, iron, serrapeptase, nattokinase

I am not a medical professional and this is not medical advice but simply information based on my own experience, as well as other members who have survived these drugs.