SweetB8458: Recovering From Celexa

SweetB8458

Hello All,                                                                                                          Sunday May 30, 2021

I have been lurking on this site for awhile but decided to join since the support would be greatly appreciated right now. Back in 2016, I was put on 10mg for some minor health anxiety. The next 4 years of my life were great and was able to handle any and everything that life threw at me. 

In July 2020, I decided to get on this holistic nutrition program, since I was experiencing some unpleasant GI symptoms and candida. Looking back now it was probably from being on the SSRI. During that time I also decided I felt good and confident that it was time to go off the medication. I had tapered a little earlier that year, January 2020 and was taking 10mg every other day (30-40mg/week) which was ok with my psychiatrist but I now know that was maybe not the best way to taper. I had no idea of the complex process of getting off these medications. 

Fast forward to September 2020, I emailed my psychiatrist and let her know I was ready to come off and she emailed me a 6 week taper schedule and we would follow up 2 months later in December. So I followed the schedule and by November I crashed and did not tie it back to discontinuation syndrome or withdrawals. By the end of December and January I felt a little better which I now know was a window. By the end of January 2021, I crashed again (wave). By February I had to take a medical leave from work. I could not focus or concentrate on my work as a therapist. Then the next month in March I gave in and had my psychiatrist put me back on Celexa 10mg still not knowing this was discontinuation and not a relapse. After 10 days of being on it and thinking more clear, I started to do my research and figured this was what it was. Such a relief but still so scared. At this point I did not know if I should stay on or get off. I continued to stay on for 6-7 weeks with plans to taper off more slowly with the support of this forum but I had to CT unexpectedly due to experiencing what felt like serotonin syndrome/adverse reactions. So it’s been about a month since my last dose and I am experiencing worse withdrawals than I did the first time I got off. I am so mad and wish I had never gotten back on. So I guess I’m just looking for some support and guidance. Thankfully I am single with no kids and staying with family while I recover. I am trying to avoid any stress as much as possible. I spend my days on the couch watching TV, playing games on my tablet and trying to eat and rest. I am currently working with a natural psychiatrist who has me on so many supplements that overwhelm me everyday. I’m 33 years old, 5’5 and down to about 100 lbs.  I was about 115 last fall. Right now she currently has me taking: St.john’s wort, Potassium chloride, Ashwaganda herbal blend, NAC, Gaba homeopathic drops, GABA w/ L-Theanine, Taurine, Fish oil, Astaxanthin, Probiotics, Liver extract caps, Ovex P, TMG, and zypan. Most of these twice a day. I recently added Magnesium Glycinate. Is this the best type? Any support, advice, tips would be greatly appreciated thank you!

9/2016 Citalopram 10mg daily

1/2020 Citalopram 10mg every other day

9/2020-10/2020 Quick taper off Citalopram

11/2020 (WD symptoms (depression, increased anxiety) but did not know this was WD

3/21/21 started back on Citalopram 10mg

5/8/21 Stopped CT due to adverse reactions

Med free since 5/8/2021

• getofflex changed the title to SweetB8458: Recovering From Celexa
  • Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm very sorry to hear that your previous doctor recommended you skip doses, and then tapered you off too fast.  Unfortunately, this is all too common.  It's egregious that these doctors have no idea how to properly taper people off the meds that they prescribe. 

12 hours ago, SweetB8458 said:

I had to CT unexpectedly due to experiencing what felt like serotonin syndrome/adverse reactions

What specifically were your symptoms at this time, when you got back on the Celexa in March and April?  

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  This will help you understand why we develop withdrawal symptoms. 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

It sounds like your doctor has you on quite a few supplements.  When our nervous systems have been sensitized by getting off psych meds, some of us find that some supplements can exacerbate our withdrawal symptoms.  Here is a thread that that discusses supplements:  

Tests, Supplements, Treatments, Diet

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Take time to digest it all.  Please rest assured that with lots of time and patience, your system will gradually heal itself.  This may happen in a non linear fashion (windows and waves).  I'm glad you found us.  Keep us posted, and hang in there.  

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly 

On 6/6/2021 at 5:48 AM, getofflex said:

What specifically were your symptoms at this time, when you got back on the Celexa in March and April?  

the last week I took it I woke up to not recognizing my room or where I was for a few seconds followed by a severe panic attack, trembling, high blood pressure, anxiety. then I was advised by my psychiatrist at the time to completely go off after having been back on it for 6 weeks as it appeared to maybe be serotonin syndrome.

11/2020 (WD symptoms (depression, increased anxiety) but did not know this was WD

Med free since 5/8/2021

On 6/6/2021 at 5:48 AM, getofflex said:

Hello, and welcome to SA.  We are a peer owned and run forum of people who have been or are getting off of psychiatric drugs.  I'm very sorry to hear that your previous doctor recommended you skip doses, and then tapered you off too fast.  Unfortunately, this is all too common.  It's egregious that these doctors have no idea how to properly taper people off the meds that they prescribe. 

Here is some information about how these drugs actually work.  This will help you understand why we develop withdrawal symptoms. 

How Psychiatric Drugs Remodel Your Brain

This helps you understand what withdrawal syndrome is: 

Video on Recovery from Psych Drugs

What is Withdrawal Syndrome?

Also, as we are recovering, we suggest keeping things slow, simple, and stable. This is extremely important. 

Considerations About Stability Stop Jumping Around

Keep it Simple, Slow, and Stable

When we recover, there are times of feeling OK mixed in with times of feeling bad.  This is called windows and waves.

Windows and Waves Pattern of Stabilization

Here are some techniques to cope with symptoms: 

Non Drug Ways to Cope with Withdrawal Symptoms

We don't suggest many supplements, but 2 that many of us find helpful are magnesium and omega-3 fish oil. Here are the links for info about those. It is suggested to add one at a time, and start with a low dose to see how it affects you. 

Magnesium

Omega 3 Fish Oil

It sounds like your doctor has you on quite a few supplements.  When our nervous systems have been sensitized by getting off psych meds, some of us find that some supplements can exacerbate our withdrawal symptoms.  Here is a thread that that discusses supplements:  

Tests, Supplements, Treatments, Diet

I've given you quite a bit of information here.  Take time to digest it all.  Please rest assured that with lots of time and patience, your system will gradually heal itself.  This may happen in a non linear fashion (windows and waves).  I'm glad you found us.  Keep us posted, and hang in there.  

thank you for all of the information. I have cut back on all my supplements and am now focused on just eating well and drinking a lot of water. I do take homeopathic sleep relief tabs or melatonin if I have trouble sleeping and some fish oil. I tried the magnesium once. I'm just so afraid of putting anything else in my body at this point. ugh I wish I had never reinstated in the first place. Im just looking for some encouragement and positive words to keep me going.. also would like to hear of any success stories of others who have had similar experiences 

Med free since 5/8/2021

• Moderator Emeritus
On 6/12/2021 at 12:59 AM, SweetB8458 said:

the last week I took it I woke up to not recognizing my room or where I was for a few seconds followed by a severe panic attack, trembling, high blood pressure, anxiety. then I was advised by my psychiatrist at the time to completely go off after having been back on it for 6 weeks as it appeared to maybe be serotonin syndrome.

This sounds like it could be a paradoxical reaction, which is a type of adverse reaction.  The body tries so hard to fight the effects of the drug, that it has the opposite effect of what it is supposed to do.  So instead of calming you, it makes you more anxious.  Or, it could be serotonin syndrome.  At any rate, I'm very sorry that the doctor fast tapered you off of this, and started this mess for you.  Here is a thread about serotonin syndrome:

Serotonin Syndrome

How are you feeling since cutting back the supplements?  Have you reduced them, or cut them out entirely?  If you want to add magnesium or fish oil, just add them one at a time, starting with a very low dose, and go from there.  These 2 supplements are helpful to many of us here.  

I just want to encourage you, that you can and will recover, as long as you take good care of yourself, and stay away from psychiatrists.  They are basically pill mills.  Most of them have been brainwashed by the drug makers to push drugs, because it's lucrative for the pharmaceutical industry.  Anxiety, depression, and other mental anguish can be dealt with using means other than drugs.   Here are some success stories for you: 

Here are some success stories.  Don't let the words suicidal or psychosis scare you - these people were polydrugged, and cold turkeyed off some heavy duty drugs.  I doubt this will happen to you.  

Kiaza Success Story

Selsdon Man

LaylaJuneBug

Boomshakalaka

Please do not private message me.  Only tag me for urgent questions about tapering and reinstating - thank you.  

***Please note this is not medical advice.  Discuss any decisions about your medical care with a doctor who understands psych meds and how to withdraw from them, if you can find one.

Lexapro   Started Apr 15 2010 - 10 mg;  started taper August 2017, recent taper info: Apr 2 '20  0.18 mg; Jul 16  0.17 mg, Aug 23  0.16 mg, Oct 7  0.15 mg, Nov 8 - 0.14, Jan 16 '21 - 0.13, Feb 7 - 0.12, Feb 22 - 0.11, Mar 26 - 0.10, May 21 - 0.09, June 15 - 0.08 Aug 16 - 0.07, Oct 6 - 0.06, Nov 21 0.05, Dec. 17 0.04, Jan 14 '22 0.03, Feb 19 0.02, Apr 18 0.01, May 15 0.005,  Jul 8, 0.00.  Psych Drug Free as of July 8, 2022!!  Woohoo!!!

other meds: Levothyroxine 75 mg

magnesium in small amounts at 4 AM, before bed

suppl AM: fish oil, flax oil, vit C, vit E, multivitamin, zinc

suppl 8 PM: magnesium 350 mg, extended release vitamin C, melatonin 2 mg

Paxil 2002 - 2010, switched to Lexapro 2010 

Trazodone 50 mg. 2002 - 2019, fast tapered in 2019 

Xanax 0.5 mg as needed 2002 - 2019, up to 3x weekly